Shade, listen, you need help. Do you want to seek out help?

• No

Votes: 14 2.6%
  • Not a chance

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Of course not

Votes: 9 1.7%
  • There is a thin line between madness and genius

Votes: 64 12.0%
  • There has never been genius, without a teacher of madness

Votes: 86 16.1%
  • Believe in the strength of everyone's bond!

Votes: 99 18.6%
  • You can't help but board the train, can you?

Votes: 259 48.6%

• Total voters
Created at
Index progress
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

Prologue

The huffing and puffing of the train sped across a misty pallor of light blue and...
Prologue

shadenight123

Ten books I have published. More await!
Prologue

The huffing and puffing of the train sped across a misty pallor of light blue and cerulean, the velvet omnipresent in a carriage tinted of the same blue colors as the outside. Blue was the color of tranquility and peace, of calmness and ease. The train huffed and puffed, running along imaginary rails in a scenery devoid of landmarks. There was simply the train, there was simply the carriage, and there was simply the long-nosed Igor with his elongated fingers and a smile that could only be described as wicked. He folded his fingers together below his chin, his body lurched over in front of a small table that separated him from me, and by his side a female figure was sitting with calm and poise.

Margaret's light blond-grey hair shone in sharp contrast to her golden eyes. She sat by Igor's side, her arms resting on the book of Personas.

Igor looked straight at me, the smile still on his face. "My," he said. "How did you get aboard?"

I stared, and then blinked. I rubbed my eyes, and then exhaled loudly. My arms crossed in front of my chest. I glanced at the window, seeing my reflection for what it was, and then returned my attention to Igor. This was either the beginning of a very strange dream I wouldn't remember in the morning, or something absolutely wrong had happened somewhere in the time it took for me to close my eyes and open them again.

"I...I don't know," I said, uneasy.

"Mysteries are meant to be solved," Igor replied, "Do you not agree?"

"Not really," I answered, my fingers clasped together as I nervously glanced from him to Elizabeth, and then back again at him. "I'd rather not have to solve mysteries if I can avoid them"

"I see," Igor nodded. "The strength of your heart is weak."

"Maybe it is," I retorted, swallowing, "but we all have our weak points." I inclined my head to the side. "I...I think I know where this is going, or am I wrong, Igor?"

Igor quietly hummed a moment, as if lost in thought. "Presentations should be made all the same, for meaningless as they may be, they hold significance." He extended a hand. "I am Igor, servant of Philemon."

I shakily extended my own hand to clasp his, shaking it up and down twice with gentle firmness.

"I'm Shade," I replied.

With a nod from Igor, the old-looking man resumed his resting pose, both hands clasped in front of him. Margaret gave a small bow, presenting herself politely, but without peculiar emphasis. I propped my chin down on my clasped fingers, my elbows placed on my legs as I ended up mimicking Igor's own pose. The old, bald man and I stared at each other for a brief instant, and then the man closed his eyes with a sigh.

"Some things are beyond me to foresee," he acquiesced. "Would you like a cup of coffee while we discuss?" he gestured to the side of the train car, where an espresso machine rested atop a counter. It hadn't been there when I had looked for it before, but now there it stood, thrumming and delivering the liquid of the gods down on a small, porcelain cup. I took the cup, and a small smile settled on my lips as I felt the heat emanating from the porcelain.

"Coffee should be served in a heated cup," I whispered just to make conversation. "Did you work as a barman?"

"No," Igor answered. "I take interest in all of humanity, be they young children building sandcastles, or adults rummaging through trash bins." His eyes glinted mischievously. "Though much is hidden, and much is unknown, would you like to see a glimpse of the future?"

"Only if it shows me the true culprit at the end of the path," I replied as I took a sip of the coffee, which was rich, and robust. I exhaled in bliss. The train kept huffing and puffing along its invisible rails. "But we both know that's not going to happen," I shook my head, before staring at Igor. "So, then...why am I here? Can you tell me that?"

It was then that I felt it, a lonely blue butterfly had made its nest atop my head, and just as easily as it had, it flew away to rest atop the espresso machine. Igor looked at the butterfly, and I stared at it too. "The truth is...that we do not know," Igor said in the end. "Which is why, you should find out the truth. It is perhaps the only way for you to return home."

I blinked, my eyebrows furrowing. "I could always take a plane and fly back to Italy, no? This...this place, isn't it connected to pretty much anywhere you wish it to be? You could just drop me off...right?"

"That would, unfortunately, not be possible," Igor said. "There is nothing of you, yourself, in this world. There is nothing but the clothes on your back."

I stared down at the floor of the Velvet Room. "I see," I muttered. "Then, if that is so...can I not simply point the finger at the true culprit and leave? I know who it is."

"Whom you believe it is, and whom it truly is, that is another thing entirely," Igor said. "The same, but not truly," he continued. "For otherwise, it would not be a test worthy of staking humanity's hearts upon."

"That's...that's a point of the...you know, the whole Persona franchise," I pointed out. Igor simply looked at me, his expression unfaltering, his eyes unchanging in their amused glint. "See, because while I understand that the majority can fuck up terribly when given the right to vote, it's still way better than the alternative of having only a few people decide to stake mankind, which doesn't belong to them, into tests and trials." I glanced at my empty cup, my index finger tapping gently against the sides of it. "Gods...don't own mankind. They never did, and never will. So, what's the point of putting me here?" I stared at the blue butterfly. "And then you prance down from your high horse, and say that the strength of heart of the few can sway the many. Again, that's true only because you gave those few the ability, and the chance, to do so. Any single individual within the majority could achieve the very same, if given the same tools and abilities. Gods should just push their hands deep in their pockets, and leave them there."

"Is that your belief?" Igor asked, his face not changing an inch.

"It's just a theory," I replied, placing the empty cup near the espresso machine and clasping my hands together. "One of many that could be brought forth. They can't be proven, nor can they be unproven. They merely exist whether you like it or not, as perspectives. Perhaps I am wrong, or perhaps I am right, but there's no way of proving them...so why bother?"

Igor chuckled, "Well, well." He tapped the side of his nose. "I have a long nose for these things, and the truth will always shine through when the time is right."

The blue butterfly flapped its wings once, and then flew off.

The train kept huffing and puffing, but the carriage's lights grew darker with each passing second.

A loud, sharp whistle blew off over my head, and my eyes snapped open to a countryside rushing quickly past beyond the window of a train. In front of me, there were no longer Igor or Margaret. It was a nice, and clean-looking train. This told me I wasn't in Italy any longer, because god forbid our trains were actually clean, or nice. A Japanese voice spoke overhead, saying words that I didn't understand if not for a single one, which was eerily familiar amidst the gibberish.

"...Inaba..."

I had my jacket, the contents of my pocket and wallet and little else.

I also sincerely doubted there was an Italian Embassy that would recognize me.

My heart drummed sharply as I stepped down from the train once it reached the station, and as my eyes squinted to get the glare of the light out of the way, I walked down the small number of steps that would lead me on a concrete street. The road ahead of me was unknown, and unfamiliar.

Uh, this reminded me of my times out of my hometown and in the glory of Turin. Well, the Doctor would say Allons-y, but I first needed to change my money from Euros to Yen.

Was there a bank in Inaba?

"Excuse me," I said to an old man standing by the ticket booth of the train station. "A bank?"

"Nani?" the old man replied.

All right.

I can do this.

Witness my black belt in charade!

AN: This is all @The Oldman 's fault!

Last edited:
I've wanted this ever since I read the snippets. Looking forward to see where you go with this.

well there will be at least one person at the police station who speaks english these days right?

Knowing shade's luck the policeman will probably know something like interpretive dance instead of english.

Oh no! Shade is going to defile the Persona franchise next!

Everybody run to the pure, untainted land of Hyrule! The Zelda franchise is our only refuge for now!

well, this is going to be a fun ride for sure, hopefully not like watching a trainwreck of everyone dieing like some of his recent stuff, we need fluff. for the fluff god, and pillows for the pillow throne

Welp, guess this is how I'm going to learn this setting properly. Just like how I learned FoZ through Nobless Oblige.

Didn't he turn Ganon into a peace loving inventor who had a very fulfilling and loving relationship with Zelda?
YOU GOT THAT WRONG! On a few accounts, first; Ganon never even existed, because Ganon is Ganondorf after being hopped up on spooky magic stuff. Since Shade managed to convince Ganondorf that accepting an evil deity into his soul would be a bad idea, so Ganondorf would never become Ganon.

Second; Ganondorf got hitched with Nabooru, and the Gerudo saw the advancement of their entire civilization because Shade probably spends too much time on wikipedia learning about irrigation.

Third and this is directly related to the second; Ganondorf and his Gerudo were perfectly fine and stuff, but something happened that led to the Hylians and Gerudo (the other races might've been in there too, can't recall) but the Gerudo were curbstomping everybody because Shade propelled their tech way past anyone else's. Now, because the Gerudo won, and Shade happened to reappear around this time, Ganondorf had the excellent thought: "Shade, you're marrying Zelda," to a.) rub it in to the Hylians that they lost, and b.) do his bro Shade a solid, c.) some other reason that's escaping me.

Oh dear oh my...

Let's see how this iteration of the Shadenight Zero Brakes Train Wreck Pileup goes, shall we?

Chapter One - April 11th 2011
Chapter One - April 11th 2011

The man inside the ticket booth proved to be as helpful as I expected him to be. He drew a paper map with some symbols on it, and pointed at the one that had the Yen currency on it, before gesturing at the road past me, doing a couple of 'go right, left, right, right, keep going straight' and things like that. I thanked him by bowing my head and smiling, and with the only Japanese word that I could, without a doubt, consider to be Thank You.

"Arigato," I said as I then cheerfully walked with the piece of paper in my hands and with what I hoped were instructions written upon the side of it, I walked through the streets with purpose. I passed by small, closed shops and a few people going about their business. Nobody actually bothered me. Well, I reckoned that if they wanted to point at the foreigner, they could do it once I was actually out of their sights.

The bank was a cool, nice building that didn't see a single client if not for a lonely middle-aged woman waiting politely on a bench. I glanced around, as if expecting there to be an electronic number, but once I realized there were none, and the lady had probably come in to enjoy the cool air, I stepped closer to one of the counters.

"Hello," I said gently, only for the lady beyond the counter to blink, and then make a half-embarrassed face as she stood up and bowed politely, before hurriedly rushing off. I blinked. Was this my Italian machismo coming to the fray? Was I truly the reincarnation of the fabled Dongiovanni? If so, where has my natural, beautiful self been until now? Dead in a ditch? I mean, seriously, my beauty should have been renowned around the world to sortie such an effect here!

Sarcasm aside, it was pretty obvious by the old man who came in her stead that she had simply called someone more experienced with foreigners to deal with the likes of me, and she had been surprised at seeing the very first foreigner to grace the likes of Inaba city since...well, a long time, perhaps?

"Hello," an elderly man spoke crisply, and with the mother of all accents. "What can the Inaba Bank do for you?"

"I would like to exchange currency," I said as I showed off the bills and the coins in my wallet. "Is that possible?"

"Yes, of course!" the man nodded and as the exchange happened quickly, I walked out of there with eight thousand yens and some spare coins that I reckoned were the change. With those in my wallet, I walked out after signing a couple of papers that were the receipt of the transaction. I had eight thousand yen, and somehow I had an inkling they wouldn't be enough. Perhaps because I vaguely remembered the prices of the Daidara Metalwork being way, way higher —those were my seventy euros, all of them, and you dare tell me that I can't even buy a lousy weapon from the likes of your shop? No, I must have been remembering wrong.

Still, with the local money in my wallet, I now needed a place to stay, and a mean to earn more money to continue my stay. Hunting Shadows in the Television realm would be possible, but the true question was whether or not I had a Persona. There were two ways to earn one, and while the first involved stepping into the Shadow world and confront my Shadow, it was also the one way that required dealing with the culprit. The second way involved getting a handshake from Izanami, who was the true culprit anyway, and not dying. In that case, the power would simply awaken without any negative side-effects. Or so it seemed.

Though I knew the point of the world of Shadows, my steps brought me to a halt as I glanced at the opposite sidewalk of the road, to where a bizarrely dressed young girl with a dark blue hat and a short red skirt was currently staring at her reflection in the window of a shop. She wore a white shirt, a black tie around her neck and a blue bag held diagonally over her body. The zebra-striped socks completed her bizarre dressing code, and her dark hair and eyes seemed to flicker away from her reflection, and towards me as she realized that I had, indeed, been staring at her.

"What are you looking at?" she grumbled, turning to look at me. I blinked at the words, which had come in a fluent English.

"What's the direction for the gas station, miss?" I asked with the most non-threatening smile I could make on my face.

She pointed further down the road, and then huffed. "Keep going, can't miss it."

"Thank you, miss," I bowed my head, "Your English is really good. Have a nice day."

And then I resumed my walking. The Moel Gas Station had the words Moel written in English, which made it easy to find. It was also the only gas station present in the whole of Inaba, and as I came to a halt in front of it, I grimaced. The place looked empty, deserted even. As I wondered on my next step, a lonely blue butterfly flapped its wings by my side, and then began to fly ahead of me. I walked behind it slowly, her form coming to a halt as it gently rested against the door's surface. I looked at the butterfly, and then nervously extended a hand.

I was going to open that door anyway, though perhaps I had been thinking of not doing so immediately, but simply stand in wait for the moment Izanami would step out to deal with a customer. It would have been a better option that going to meet her in her home base, wouldn't it? Though one could argue the whole of Inaba was her home territory, and thus rendered the point of waiting for her outside moot and void. I pushed down on the handle, and as the door opened, a swirling portal of dark energies emerged with greasy tentacles of pitch-black darkness to grab hold of me, and drag me inside.

My screaming lost itself to a thundering roar, and as my body impacted against a rough surface that smelled of gymnasium floors, I felt my stomach lurch and twist upon itself. "Damn it...last time I follow butterflies into dungeons," I groaned as I turned on my back, my breathing uneven as I stared right up at a vast expanse of fog. Below me, crimson tatami mats edged with black formed interwoven patterns that acted as both the floor and the walls from what I could perceive.

"Do you seek the truth?" a voice called, coming from everywhere and nowhere at the same time. I exhaled, licking my lips with my tongue.

"Izanami-sama," I spoke slowly, and carefully. "I—I know the truth already—"

The air stilled around me. The fog didn't recede, but yet didn't twirl either. Everything simply stopped as I quietly got back up on my feet, and then abruptly the floor below me lurched and twisted like a motorized highway, only I was the passenger, and I did not have a seat-belt. I held on as my lungs emptied of air, since I had to fill my surroundings with the screams of a man going at one hundred kilometers per hour on a conveyor belt motorized by the Ferrari industries.

"You cannot know the truth," the voice spoke once more, bothered and angry like a physical slap against my face. The fog parted around me as I came to a halt in front of a humanoid figure clad in a white kimono with multiple folds to cover all of her neck, crimson eyes and grey hair. She stood tall, with a physique that was more masculine than feminine, and yet there was a slight softness to her face that mixed with a glint of steel in her eyes.

"I...I've come to parlay," I said, both hands raised in front of me in a sort of placating gesture.

Izanami's eyes narrowed as she looked at me, straight at me, and then past me. "You aren't worth my time. Another, with more potential, is coming."

"I'm...I'm supposed to find out why I'm here..." I said. "I know about...about Inaba, and your plans with those you've chosen. I promise I won't interfere with it if you'll just...show mercy?"

Izanami's eyes remained narrow, but she did not move. Since I was still breathing, it either was a really long time for her to think about it, or I was being given the possibility to speak. My hair rustled slightly as I felt something move atop it, and I reckoned the blue butterfly was there, perhaps delivering some sort of speech to the Goddess of Yomi.

Whatever speech it was, if it was a speech at all, it didn't work.

I could tell because the Goddess lifted a hand, grabbed hold of my head, and then abruptly flung me through the fog with a strength beyond the human, sending me downwards into whatever sort of hell a place as shitty as this had below the tatami mats. As it turned out, as my voice grew hoarse from the screaming, and the fog and the wind hit my face to the point of making me tear up. This wasn't how I had imagined it would go. Though, honestly, I had to pin the blame on the blue butterfly.

Philomen, take responsibility! Is this you being angry at me telling you to keep your hands in your pockets and stop staking humanity's future on silly, stupid bets!? If so, well, you know what!? Fuck you! Fuck you to the seven circles of hell and to the depths of the abyss! For all I care, the Gods died hundreds of years ago, and they should have remained dead! Do you hear me, Philomen!? Go die in a fire! Go die, and—is that white drawing near the ground!?

"Gah!" my screaming was met with a sharp, strong impact against a surface that wasn't soft. No, the surface was anything but soft. My nose felt it. My nose, my glasses, my everything felt the surface as anything but soft. Yet in this world my glasses were made of Adamantium, since they apparently didn't break upon contact with the taught white floor, which had the consistency of a gym's floor.

"Shouldn't you be learning from all of this pain?" a sarcastic voice which rolled the Rs spoke dryly from somewhere above me, "Learning how to better fuck things up, that is."

I winced as I caught my bearings, my head still shaking and my vision blurred and unfocused.

"Whatever great plan you have," the voice continued, "It's not going to work. You're all alone, in a foreign country, with people who speak a tongue that you can't just learn in a couple of weeks, and in a world in which you don't exist. Honestly, we should just fuck this shit, reach for the closest Italian embassy and come up with some shitty reason why we don't exist. Like, even if DNA tests can't prove we belong, we can keep saying we're Italian hard and long enough for someone to just up and come deliver us a citizen passport. Once you involve the media into it, we can get our renown and publicity going."

"They can take our existence away from us, there hasn't been a single Persona game with a good ending in sight for anyone...anyone who refused to find out the truth," I said in a croaked whisper, "We either work this out...or we lose everything."

"It's good enough for me," the other voice said sarcastically. "I'd rather be my own self rather than you, but no, because we both know I'd go mad and die. I can't exist without you, and you can't exist without me. The sheer fact I know this makes me unable to take your place, though in all true conscience, you don't deserve this. Perhaps the only thing you deserve is to go back home and stay there." The shadowy form materialized in front of me, and I looked up at it, my fists clenched. He was my perfect replica, if with golden eyes that shone like small suns. His smile was cruel, and the wisps of darkness that spread from his being eerily reminded me that no, he was no friend of mine.

"You know that no matter what you tell me, I will never concede," I shuddered, and carefully got up to my feet. No matter what he'd say. No matter how he'd say it. No matter when he'd say it. He would be a part of me, and I would be a part of him.

In answer, I was slugged in the face.

"Enlighten me, mister arrogance. What do you think I'm going to say?" the shadowy form hissed out as I winced, massaging my jaw and cheek.

"That we're arrogant fools," I hissed out. "Whimpering cowards when the cards are tough. Good speakers, but poor executors. We are lazy, and don't really care for the lot of humanity as long as the few we know keep on living. We wouldn't care if half the people we know died, and if the other half ended up lost to us. We're not a hedgehog dilemma, we're a Cold War country who stares with indifference at best and paranoia at worst at the people around us, because we know that they don't deserve our trust. Because trust is how you get hurt. If you don't want to get hurt, you must never trust others...and deep down, this is tiring. It's tiring to never trust people. It's tiring to keep on thinking that the other side is going to stab you when you least expect it...but we keep doing that, because we know that the world outside, the real world...is not as forgiving, as kind, or as beautiful as a pretty little lie anyone with half a decent grasp on grammar can cook up inside a virtual reality."

My shadow-self hummed, thoughtfully stroked his chin, and then nodded. "So are you going to run away, Shinji-kun?"

"I really, really want to run away and go back home and forget all of this, but I don't have a choice...I must find out the truth," I acquiesced. "Whether fake or not, unless we go together, we'll never find out...and we'll probably both die. I don't want to die. Plain and simple."

"So we wish to find who did this and...stab him?"

"Do you remember what we did in third grade?" I retorted.

"How could I forget what we did in third grade?" the shadow smiled, extending a hand. I clasped it, and then slugged him back in the face. His head snapped to the side, and he chuckled at that. "Reckon I earned it."

"You reckon it right," I clicked my tongue against my teeth. My body turned to give its back to my Shadow, my True Self made of anything but niceties, made of the deepest, darkest secrets and evils that I harbored within my soul, and yet I safely gave it my back. For we were one and the same, two sides of the same coin, the Yin and the Yang, and all of that spiritual crap that came with the package.

"Not seeing an exit on my part," we both said at the same time, and as we turned to look at one another we blinked and chuckled together. My right fist bumped against his own, and as I saw his frame start to dissolve and disappear into light, I watched as his body exploded in a shower of glittering lights, revealing a singular card that spun and floated right in front of me.

"The Arcana of Judgment," I mumbled as I read the name of the tarot card, which shone briefly before exploding itself in glitter. Yet it was there, in the corner of my mind. A card that was myself, and a myself that was the card. I extended my right hand to my side, and used my left to push my glasses further up the bridge of my nose. I grinned and then laughed, the card whispering its name in the back of my head.

Around us, only the Fog stood.

Well, we couldn't have that, could we now? We weren't going to admit defeat from just this little, were we?

"Camael," I spoke, "Defeat is a word unknown to the heavenly host!"

A fiery sword burned into existence as the fog parted away, revealing a boxing ring that was quite familiar to me, if lacking in Teddy, or in much more than a lonely television screen.

A lonely television screen that buzzed and lit itself up.

"We've done enough for the day," I muttered as I massaged the side of my head, a dull throb starting to settle in. "What says you, Camael?"

No reply was forthcoming.

Well, I guess it was a new state of being for the Archangel too.

I'd check the old Inaba temple. It was in disrepair, and that meant no one was living in it. I'd see to sleeping in a corner for the night, unless I found a better alternative.

The next morning, my back would hate me.

The fox that lived in the temple...well...

She didn't like having to share.

She didn't like having to share at all.

Last edited:
I understand nothing. Never played Persona so it's probably that.

Judging by the description, the girl is a protagonist.

Last edited:
"Yes, of course!" the man nodded and as the exchange happened quickly, I walked out of there with eight thousand yens and some spare coins that I reckoned were the change.
In English, Yen is both the singular and the plural form.

Foreigners are required to have ID on them at all times, probably a passport with an airport stamp in it in most cases. Which they would have required at the bank, although the amount may have been low enough here. (I got issued a residence card, but never got stopped by the police)

Will you simply show the shadow world to Dojima?
because it would solve quite a few problems both for you and the investigation team.
Or maybe he is the murderer and you can't take the risk....

Back