Oh, and if you count the abilities granted to the void familiars, you've also got absolute weapon proficiency, the ability to control any animal, including dragons, and the ability to perfectly use any magic artifact.

Known spells, Nuclear level Explosion, Dimensional Portal (this can be permanent and targeted, see all the weapons stolen from Earth including a fully armed nuclear sub and a tank), Summon and Empower humans, Dispel all magic in an area, complete genocide of a targeted race, I think there may have been one or two more.
Mind magic, "short" teleport, bigger world gate, illusions.

Oh, and if you count the abilities granted to the void familiars, you've also got absolute weapon proficiency, the ability to control any animal, including dragons, and the ability to perfectly use any magic artifact.
They are however centered around the theme of using the 4th familiar as a genocide bomb.

The "tinker"* familiar builds the devices, the "brute"* protects the tinker and the mages while the "master"* procures an expendable delivery vehicle(probably a dragon) for the bomb. (borrowing a couple of Worm terms)

Last edited:
They are however centered around the theme of using the 4th familiar as a genocide bomb.

The "tinker"* familiar builds the devices, the "brute"* protects the tinker and the mages while the "master"* procures an expendable delivery vehicle(probably a dragon) for the bomb. (borrowing a couple of Worm terms)
Why is the fourth Familiar a bomb anyway?

I think that "Void" magic in many stories lately is a fantasy counterpart of "Zero point energy".

That I believe is the reason for highly overpowered spells, explosions, and explosive familiars!

I have not read the original, but the feeling I always got was normal magic is element based and void magic is the rest of the D&D wizard spell list, as needed for plot.

It's not the bomb, so much as the fuel for the bomb that the Void Mage creates with Void Magic. Until that point, it can also be used as fuel for super speed, dimensional portals, and healing auras.

Binge read all story posts (Got tired of reading the Printing Press Disc...) when I probably should have been studying for exams. Can confidently say that it was worth it.

I heard of the fic in some other thread. I was pretty leery at first since "The Gamer" doesn't really sound like something I'd enjoy but people discussing how Yellow thinks Pinky is suicidal caught my interest and wow, I was not disappointed. That scene with Montmorency made me tear up.

The fourth familiar has the power of casting from hit points. Anyway best theory I've been able to come up with is Void is dimension stuff....or just raw energy....or both.

Ah, Plot Magic then.

Yes, and the funny thing about this is that one of the void mages realizes this in universe and then proceeds to exploit it.

"How am I going to beat their army? Simple, I'll just get myself into an unwinable situation, we're pretty close already honestly, and then I'll check the magic mirror that gives me my void spells and it'll have just the spell I need to win."

And then it does.

SAVEFILE 32
««« LOAD 32 »»»

Louise was still shivering slightly when they reached the door to her room. The guards at the Academy of Magic's entrance had certainly looked at her oddly when they'd passed through their gates. Understandable, really, when one considered that without her buff and modified mantle, she had been down to her riding shirt.

It had been cold.

Under her arm she carried Derflinger, bundled in her buff jacket, along with her original riding boots, her mantle, belts and vambraces. The sword had vehemently protested the arrangement, but the leather actually muffled it enough that he'd given up after a while. A step behind Louise, Montmorency had her saddlebags.

She unlocked her door and turned to the blonde, who passed her the bags wordlessly.

Louise should thank her. Actually, she had the weird feeling she should do more than that. The day had been… nice, with Montmorency by her side. She hadn't spent a day with one of her peers that felt like that in, well, ever. From the moment she'd failed her first spell at the Academy, on her very first day, she'd spent little time outside her classes with her year mates. What time she did spend with them was generally unpleasant and not of her own volition. Of course, she'd still had problems with her magic before. Perhaps this was the start of something new, now that her magic was finally working right. It seemed very strange to her, but Louise was aware that this was closer to normal and her previous experiences were the strange ones.

It still felt weird.

Wary and unsure on various levels but grateful nonetheless, Louise bowed her head to her… compeer. "Thank you for today. I owe you, more than once." Pursing her lips slightly, she added. "If there's anything I can do to help you, don't hesitate to call on me."

Montmorency smiled but her eyes crinkled at the corners and avoided Louise's face. "I'll keep it in mind. I just…." She paused. "Well, you're not bad at all to hang out with. Maybe we could repeat this."

Oh.

That… that sounded good to Louise. Maybe next Voidsday? No, there was the Founder's Day...

"If you're looking for places to take Monmon out to, I know of a few cozy ones in the capital. And a few more quiet ones, here and there."

Both girls jumped in place, startled by the sudden interruption. As one they wiped their heads, faces set into matching frowns, towards the door across the hall. Kirche leaned against her door frame, arms crossed under her generous chest. She'd heard them from her room and snaked out to eavesdrop on Louise and Montmorency better without either being aware of her presence.

"Zerbst." Louise nearly spat.

"Vallière."Kirche grinned back. She took in Louise's attire in a glance, appreciating as always the way the girl couldn't care less for decorum when going out riding. She was surprisingly all for practicality, and scoffed into the faces of whom would decry her for being masculine. It was something Kirche hadn't been expecting from the girl that obviously took her lack of… general chest area quite personally. But she liked it. The fiercely independent streak, rebellious even, hidden inside the normally straight-laced Tristainian was a marvel to behold, and particularly to bring to the fore. She narrowed her eyes like a cat with a new plaything. "What do you have there?" She pointed at the bundle the girl carried under her arm.

Louise only squared her shoulders, not in the mood to deal with her now. "My business." Not yours.

Kirche pouted, but her keen eyes noticed how Montmorency's posture shifted. The blonde stood right next to Louise, her stance confrontational as well. It was clear as day that she was taking the pink-haired girl's side, almost protectively. "Come on, Blow-Hard. Don't you want a few tips for your next date?"

Louise frowned, suddenly confused at the wording Kirche was using. But Montmorency nearly jumped out of her skin, face paling then flushing as she understood what she was driving at. To Kirche's delight, however, for the redhead was a very curious person, nosy even, she stood her ground.

Seeing the grin on her rival's face widen, Louise's mind latched onto a half-remembered conversation and a somewhat dangerous idea came to her. "Hey, Zerbst... is that offer from the other day still open?"

It was Kirche's turn to pause as she processed what Louise meant. She raised an eyebrow, her smile turning slightly malicious as she took in the confidence in Louise's chin, the assessing, almost cold look in her eyes. "Oh, it's always open, Louise the Blowhard. But are you sure you can handle me?" She wouldn't hesitate to wipe the floor with Tiny, Little Louise. It was fitting, no? Before she started having illusions of grandeur.

The pink-haired girl smiled, genuinely excited. "I'm sure I'll manage somehow. How about tomorrow before dinner, on the Vestri Court?"

"Louise?" Montmorency asked, a warning in her tone.

The Germanian chuckled, shaking her head. "Sounds perfect. I'll see you then, Blowhard." She opened the door to her room, sending a gesture that might have been a wave over her shoulder. The mix of disappointment and anticipation on her features made for a scary combination.

Louise and Montmorency watched her back as the door closed behind it.

Montmorency cleared her throat. "I just have a pair of questions." She didn't look at Louise. "First, Louise the Blowhard?"

Louise grit her teeth. "Zerbst's funny little idea."

"Ah." Montmorency kept to herself the thought that it wasn't an entirely inappropriate runic name, considering Louise's normal behavior. Her previous behavior. "And second… what offer?"

Louise was quiet for a few moments, staring straight ahead and biting the inside of her cheek. Montmorency turned her head to regard her. The silence stretched on.

"An invitation for a sparring match?"

It took everything Montmorency had not to hit her right then and there.

Heh, this should be good. Though personally I cant wait till she has strngth up to SAKURA PUNCH! status. But I guess magic makes up for that.

Montmorency de Montmorency , you are offered acceptance to the Caretakers, those who have taken up the challenge to keep their chosen protector, ward, sibling or otherwise responsibility alive and unharmed despite themselves. The usual approaches include reasonable training hours, proper eating and sleeping habits, resting and following the healer's recommendation after injury, and of course avoiding unneeded brawling. Montomrency de Montmorency, a Caretaker rarely succeeds in these endeavors, do you still intend to try?

(Bad joke, is bad joke but practice never killed anyone right? ;))

Edit: @theweepingman
I couldn't decide what I should rate your post, so you get a plain like, because I couldn't rate it insightful and funny at the same time.

Last edited:
Back