Let's Play Every Final Fantasy Game In Order Of Release [Now Playing: FFVIII]

It looks like not only was it conquered, but all the able-bodied men (and women? Laguna says 'able-bodied men' were sent off to war and Raine is still here, but he also says that only 'old people and children' were left, so it's not clear whether Galbadia conscripts women as well as men. Wonder if it's a translation issue.) were conscripted to fight in Galbadia's many wars.

"All the working men in this town were sent off to war. The only ones still left in town are old people, children, chocobos, dogs, and cats."

It's a little awkwardly phrased, but I think Laguna is saying that the only men still in town are elderly, children, and animals.

I'm diagnosing you with a moderate case of CMCBPS (Chronic Mascot Character Betrayal Paranoia Syndrome). Considering both FFVII and another Square RPG you may or may not have played, It's not an unwarranted fear.
Unfortunately, any mascot character created after 2011 has a roughly 40% of secretly being evil, so CMCBPS has become a depressingly common malady amongst us nerds.

Last edited:
Ff8 is clearly showing that all an authoritarian government needs to succeed is a hot, tall, dommy Mommy as dictator.

And to be fair if I was a Galbadia citizen I'd dust off my jackboots this moment ngl.

Something I should mention about the Japanese script site is the "side dialogue" sections end in Deling City, and we've seen all of it so far as we went through Disc 1. So at a glance, the script site no longer has side dialogue.

However, going through these sections in the MSQ pages, I'm seeing the dialogue bits that seem like they would be side dialogue. So I get the impression the side dialogue is now included in what would otherwise be the MSQ bits, and the site author never got around to separating it out to its own section. Examples are the conversations with the people of WInhill, as well as the loitering Galbadian soldiers.

I don't know if this is going to be the case continuing forward, or if eventually no more side dialogue will be recorded.

Laguna is inside a home we've never seen before, and a girl approaches to tell him that someone is here to see him; the translation is trying to convey she's talking in 'baby-talk,' I think, but using conventions I haven't seen before, like rendering 'you' as 'yoo' (I have no idea what that's meant to sound like) and others I've seen before like 'tawking' instead of 'talking.'

This is entirely on the English translation. As @Egleris notes, the Italian translation has Ellone speak in relatively simple vocabulary, but grammatically and phonetically standard.

This is distinct from the children in Timber who also use baby-talk in English, but are clearly slurring words and lisping in Japanese too. So we already have examples of when baby-talk should be used in translation, and Ellone's dialogue here is not it.

Laguna: "...I think the fairies are here."
Kiros: "...Fairies? Yeah, I guess so…"

Hence all the excitement among FFXIV players when Gaia was talking about the "fairies" she kept hearing in her childhood. Of course, those fairies were entirely different, but the term used was definitely a reference.

Kiros: "What exactly do you do here?"
Laguna: "It's like this. All the working men in this town were sent off to war. The only ones still left in town are old people, children, chocobos, dogs, and cats. And I'm sure you've noticed, but the monsters have made their way into town. This here town took real good care of me. So basically, I want to return the kindness. You're looking at the Monster Hunter of Winhill!"

For clarification, the word used for "working men" is 働き盛りの男 ("hataraki zagari no otoko"). "Hataraki" does mean "working", and "zagari" (technically "sagari" if written by itself) is "peak" or "prime", like "prime of one's life". So it's more "men who are in the prime of their working life"; I think "working men" is close enough, but personally I agree with the existing English term "able-bodied men". Not as literal a translation, but probably conveys the idea better.

Laguna's listing of the remaining inhabitants of Winhill is a single no-punctuation rattling off in Japanese. Adding punctuation for readability here, he says "Old men, old women, boys, girls, chocobos, dogs, cats". Apart from the Rap God way Laguna recites the list, it indeed does not mention any women who are not old nor children. It's weird, because Laguna specifically says "working/able-bodied men" as the conscripted, so there's no indication Galbadia took the women as well.

Although come to think of it, given the comments about Esthar kidnapping girls, maybe all the women have already been taken by Esthar before Galbadia sent in the troops to allegedly keep the peace? Which is a bit horrifying. And probably not the case, since surely Laguna would have mentioned that to Kiros in this dialogue.

Amusingly, Laguna's "Alright!" in Japanese is "GOAL IN". I would not have been surprised if it was just "goal", as in "we've reached the goal", but Laguna definitely says "in", so he's just yelling whatever celebratory phrases that come to his impulsive mind.

That last question is answered almost immediately by Squall waking up in some kind of hexagonal cell. He's still in the same clothes with no sign of injury, so I guess they just… Took him in, healed him, then put him back in his old clothes and threw him in jail? Best not think too hard about it.

Not only is Squall in his old clothes, the clothes are free of any large holes from the huge ice spike. So there's apparently a tailor on staff in this prison.

Mean Guy: "Shut up!!! Don't screw around with me!!! You understand who's in charge here!?"

The Japanese name for this guy is "Guy Who Gives A Bad Feeling" (いやな感じのヤツ). No, I don't know what significance that has. I suppose "Mean Guy" works as well.

Not the most conclusive of notes to end on, but the Gateway Team is now fully armed and loaded and ready to tackle the prison and, presumably, rescue Squall.

Something I'm still a bit unclear about: how was the Gateway Team captured? Did they just sit in the Gateway while Squall, Irvine, and Rinoa battled Edea, and then surrendered when the soldiers did the inevitable post-incident security sweep? And then Rinoa was tossed in together with them, for some reason, but not Irvine.

I admit this is giving me impressions of FFIV conveniently making characters unavailable due to plot stuff, to keep the number of party members present coincidentally the max party size.

- When Kiros asks Laguna why he sticks around, he calls the patrols "a game", rather than "a thing", so Laguna's follow up is "it's not a game", which suggests that he does care about the work itself, in addition to the other reasons he's staying in Winhill.

Kiros does use "a game" in Japanese too. Or more specifically ごっこ, "gokko", which has connotations of "playing pretend".

- Quistis is more direct in answering Rinoa's worries of "we attacked the president" with "the president is dead".

Yeah, it's one of those cases where the literal meaning of the Japanese line is "The president is no longer here", but everyone knows it's a common euphemism for "dead". I have no idea why the English translation uses "no longer in charge".

EDIT: I missed this one:

- One minor change in dialogue is that the Galbadian Soldier who talks about Esthar's kidnappings says they're looking for "a woman" to be Adel's successor, rather than "little girls", and further says that both Ellone and Raine would be in danger, not just Ellone herself. A minor change, but since Edea seems like she's older than Ellone +18 (that'd be somewhere in one's mid-twenties; Edea is visibly more adult than that), one I thought was worth pointing out.

The Japanese text says 女の子, which taken literally means "girl child", so I would have assumed it meant "little girl" too, like Laguna says in English. But the term has also been used to just mean "girls", including the encompassing nature of that word to mean anything from children to grown women (eg "girls' night out").

So "girls" would probably have been the safest translation choice, rather than adding "little" or saying "woman". Without further context, there's no way to be certain.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's one of those cases where the literal meaning of the Japanese line is "The president is no longer here", but everyone knows it's a common euphemism for "dead". I have no idea why the English translation uses "no longer in charge".

It's kinda hard not to have an ironic thought about someone who's chosen title is 'President for Life' when they end up no longer president because they no longer meet the requirements that they set out for the position.

If only he had decided he was their forever president, or the president of galbania as long as the nation stands, he might be better off!

Not only is Squall in his old clothes, the clothes are free of any large holes from the huge ice spike. So there's apparently a tailor on staff in this prison.

A lot of JRPGs would get very interesting very quickly if the party's bodies could withstand getting nuked by Firagas and shit significantly better than their clothes.

The Japanese name for this guy is "Guy Who Gives A Bad Feeling" (いやな感じのヤツ). No, I don't know what significance that has. I suppose "Mean Guy" works as well.

The rejected localisation, "Man With Atrocious Vibes" was sadly too far ahead of its time...

Combined with the town's aesthetic, yeah, I'm calling it, FFVIII is pulling from The Sound of Music.
Could be worse, what if they pulled inspiration from Springtime for Hitler?

On the bright side, Kiros being the most incredibly pretty femboy we've seen so far (I honestly thought he was female on my first playthrough) is definitely an unique choice for a black character.
Had to go look at the concept art and character models for a proper look, but I think you hit it spot on. I'm simultaneously getting hints of Michael Jackson and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, somehow. Those "bangs" would drive me nuts. Can't seem to pull any good pictures for everyone to look at though, sorry.

Gotta love Japan's insistence on not giving a straightforward answer. All about that implicit vs explicit communication method. I've heard about a guy who was asked "Do you have any pets?" and instead of saying "No," he said "Maybe my cat is dead."

Last edited:
But it's true that if you want to say, leave your PS1 on for a week on one battle to trigger the special-thing

Er, what? What is this in reference to?

Rinoa herself recognizes that the SeeD aren't actually members of the team, but are weapons to be pointed at things she wants fucked up, they're not on board with anything they're doing and their supposed expertise does not apply to planning operations.

So I abruptly found myself very frustrated with the whole thing after reading this and thinking about it. Because in books I hadn't *read* when the game originally came out (and some may not have been released yet), one of the top reasons to hire mercenaries is the situation where you've got an objective, and you've got people, but you don't have the expertise to get the objective done with the people you've got... so you hire on some officers.

And on some scales this seems very much like that! The SeeDs probably could help them make better plans, it just... doesn't happen.

....I forgot how much Galbadia garden looks like a giant fucking Jello mold.

Selphie (the only person who would do it): *wiggles her hips*
Galbadia Garden: *does nothing*
Selphie: What a meaningful conversation!
Everyone else: ???

I'm not sorry.

Either way, presence: sold.

So a while back in the 'posts I was catching up on', everyone talked about the translation using 'sorceress' instead of 'witch'.

This is the part that makes me really like 'sorceress'. Maybe it sounds less sinister, but it's more grand in return, and they are definitely going for grand here.

It seems like this whole plan hinged on the Sorceress finding it beneath her dignity to stoop so low as to climb down her carriage and just walk straight out without obstruction

Insert fan comic about her trying to walk out but that stupid thing on her back keeps getting caught on the bars here.

Charisma Break!

I thought Tales of Berseria had an interesting approach to this, aided somewhat by a smaller main cast. You have 6 characters, and a party size of four, but all six are narratively implied to be there for all your fights, and you have the ability to semi-freely (consuming an in-combat resource) swap out one of your frontliners for someone in the back line during battle. Presumably the four-person main party limit is kind of a Too Many Cooks situation.

Mana Khemia has something similar, where swapping characters in and out forms a major part of the combat mechanics.

Atelier Ryza doesn't have anything like that, but it gives full XP to all party members, and shows everyone in 'wow, that was a tough fight' type cutscenes, so my interpretation is that whoever isn't in the active party is keeping the main party from getting flanked or something like that.

The answer, it turns out, is 'not caring about the monsters to begin with.'

How's that work though? We can't ignore the monsters, they get up in our face. Don't the monsters ever just directly attack them?

... I suppose the distinction could be that they just kill monsters that bother them while Laguna goes out looking for trouble, but the dialogue comes across more as 'Nah man, the monsters stay in their corner and we stay in ours, we cool'.

So this is probably a good time to mention that younger me though that Kiros' victory animation was just about the coolest thing ever.

... Younger me was a lot more dubious of his new clothes though.

Omicron please, this is Final Fantasy Shounen Battle Academy Edition. You know there's a very real chance something as minor as dying isn't enough to stop the President.

Oh god, now I'm imagining him using Metal Wolf Chaos lines. "Because I'm the President for life of the United States of Galbadia!"

I am 100% certain that the game just plain shouldn't have let you have any random encounters before the guards with the weapons and locked out the magic command,

Seems like a lot of games have a hard time balancing things when they shrink the party. I'm still a little salty about how Ar tonelico 2 handled it. The way the game works, combat is basically miserable if you don't have at least one Reyvateil (the really short version, 'backline caster') and one vanguard (physical fighter type) to guard them.

Then the game sends you through a sequence with a party consisting of two Reyvateils. Because of how the system works, this deprives you of all your combat tools, so the battles have to be so easy that you can't really lose, but even then they're still slow and boring. But the thing is? One of them carries a sword and is supposed to be pretty good at using it. But did they have her get in front and show it off for a while when it would be handy, and make the segment more interesting on a gameplay level? Of course not.

-Morgan.

Adloquium said:
maybe all the women have already been taken by Esthar before Galbadia sent in the troops to allegedly keep the peace
...It occurs to me...

[checks back]

Yeah, one of the Esthar Soldier enemies in a previous update had the description "A cyborg in the form of an Esthar soldier, but far stronger. It only uses physical attacks.".

So Esthar is maybe conducting mass kidnappings, looking for Sorceress candidates. Presumably if they've found any candidates among their kidnapees, they're in a minority, being rare. Or maybe there are actually lots of candidates, but they vary in quality, somehow, and since there appears to be a finite about of Sorceressness to go around, Esthar wants to concentrate on the best one(s). Either way, a lot of the people they kidnap won't be viable. ...For their primary intended use.

And Esthar makes cyborg soldiers it doesn't give guns to to send into the thick of battle.

Exactly how many of those cyborgs, I'm now wondering, volunteered for the cyberware?

...And they could do the same with their own population, actually. Maybe not random people off the street, but perhaps petty criminals get a trip to the surgeon and then the penal legions.

[shrugs] Though, then again, it's not like, IIRC, we know much about Esthar's government at this time. Sure, they're at war with Galbadia, but Galbadia was and is not exactly a beacon of justice and freedom. It's quite possible Esthar isn't kidnapping people at all; I don't recall any solid evidence of it.

Noxlux013 said:
I've heard about a guy who was asked "Do you have any pets?" and instead of saying "No," he said "Maybe my cat is dead."
Wouldn't that imply "Yes", not "No"?

Also since now it's not spoilers, someone in the thread mentioned that one of the other translations apparently makes an outright joke of it during that scene??? Like Ward just goes "screw you Laguna I'm gonna not talk for the rest of the game!" Absolute wild west of translations, I tell ya wat
I will copy the post I have made in the spoiler thread about this point (To put context, someone asked me why I was telling Omicron to wait before watching the french version because it's spoiling something) :

The fact that Ward will not speak anymore. And as Omicron has noticed that Ward has his throat injured, I think it will be a nice (and sad) bit that Omicron understand by himself that Ward becomes mute because of this moment.

So, the problem with the french version ?

They have made the whole thing a joke.

On the hill, the discussion begins the same way (a reference about a grandma who said that speak about bad things will make them happen), and basically, things goes like this :
Ward : Ok, so, I know what I will do then...
Laguna : What ?
Ward : I will not speak anymore until the end of the game !!!
Laguna : What are you talking about ?? Even if I call you FAT you will say nothing ??
Ward : NOTHING !!

And the situation returns as the same as in english and the "jump" from the cliff.

By itself, it's not a big deal. But in the same time, I feel it will ruin how Omicron has said this scene was touching, and will impede the future of discovering that this scene had made Ward mute (well, maybe he is only mute in the french version, I will not be surprised if it was the case because how the french version is).

But yeah, after he has met mute Ward, he should watch it to enjoy this WTF.

If you heard something strange about FF8 translation, it's always the french translation. =□_ (O) ALWAYS HAS BEEN.

So this is the bad kind of military occupation. Not that there is a good kind, really, but these soldiers actively do not care about monsters preying on the local population; they are here solely and entirely for the purpose of preventing a sneak attack by Esthar, the mystery nation that Laguna fought in Centra in the last flashback.

Notably the vibe is one where the soldiers seem to view civilians as an obstacle to their work rather than the reason for it in the first place. Like, it's resentment towards the populace.

So he's literally a disabled veteran who is rewarded for his service by finding a dead-end job in the physical embodiment of the regime's ruthless authoritarian rule. You could… Pretty much take this out of any post-Vietnam American movie about vets, huh. Interesting.

something something, first place the empire conquers is itself, something something.

I… think what's going on here is that Laguna and Kiros are aware of the SeeD group's presence, but because they lack any knowledge of it, they've been attributing these odd episodes of strange thoughts they hear to 'fairies'? And the talk about battles being a cinch suggests to me that they also sense that they fight better when these 'fairies' are with them. Which means that perhaps the power of Junction is being transferred to Squall, Kiros and Ward when the SeeDs dream of them? They are literally empowered by their presence.

Notably they don't get much in the way of detail. They can't actually tell what the SeeD kids are thinking at them, just a vague impression of 'presence' and 'activity'. Makes sense they'd call them fairies really, they might be able to tell that something happening makes the 'fairies' agitated, but not exactly what or why.

I mean, good for Julia. She finally wrote that song, based on that one evening with Laguna, and broke out into a superstar. He knew Madonna before she was famous. That's nice.

It is cool to note that Laguna is genuinely hyped about Julia finding a relationship even if it's not with him. He's an earnest well meaning goober. An erratic goober who gets lost, barely pays attention to what other people says, and throws his friends off cliffs and then seconds later thinks his friends are brave for jumping, but still, a goober.

I have complicated feelings about the way Kiros's visual design 'exoticizes' him as a Black character between his use of katars and his new outfit, but he kinda does look really cool.

On the one hand, exoticizing the ethnic minority, on the other hand, character design is cool as shit. Like, he uses twin punch-daggers and has a unique design, whereas Laguna is just wearing trousers, a shirt, and a fucking denim jacket. And his weapon is just A Gun.

Incidentally, we've just learned the Doom Command, which allows us to inflict Doom (instant death on a timer) on enemies. I dunno if I'll really find any use for it.

This is something of a mechanics failure that not just FF8 suffers from, where designers give you gameplay options, but then punishes you for even trying them out. Four command slots are tight, and you're basically always going to have Attack, Draw, and Magic, leaving the last slot for either Item or GF. Some of the command possibilities that GFs give you are genuinely interesting, but sacrificing your default four? Most players won't be willing to give one up even for trial purposes.

Woolie has discussed this before when it comes to fighting games with purchasable moves, in that they should let you refund them for free so you have the flexibility to try different builds and strategies so you get to learn what works for you and why, and I feel the same applies here.

And also weird. The Desert Prison is a prison for political prisoners, isn't it? This has been emphasized repeatedly. Now, there are many ways to lock up political prisoners, with varying degrees of brutality, up to the full 'gulag where everyone fucking freezes to death' type of prison, but what you don't need to lock up a bunch of activists and anarchists and political nerds is individualized steel cell that are disconnected from each other and moved through a complex crane system.

Political prisoners of an authoritarian, over the top regime. Wasting a bunch of money and resources on an 'inescapable' prison to salve the egos of a fascistic regime seems like exactly the sort of thing the Galbadians would pull tbh. If Saudi Arabia can (attempt) to build a 110 mile long city as an asinine vanity project, then Deling can have a stupid elaborate super-prison for political prisoners.

nd it's entirely fair for someone in-character to suspect the same. Seifer, specifically, has never been allowed to join SeeD, and as a result he resents the entire institution. So it's completely believable for him to become convinced that SeeDs have some sort of big secret that everybody in SeeD knows about that is revealed at their initiation ceremony, which he probably imagines to be some kind of sinister Illuminati-style introduction instead of being boringly invited to the Headmaster's office where he gives everyone a few platitudes and words of encouragement. And because SeeDs are elite operatives with supernatural powers, and Squall specifically is the one he is closest to actually respecting, of course they'd resist a little torture.

I'd note how Seifer has fallen into a kind of...I'd call it storybook thinking? He is 'The Sorceress' Knight', a hero fighting the villainous mercenaries who kill for money, and refused him promotions because he disobeyed orders to fight The Enemy, which would have made his team Heroes. Like, he's ignoring his own reasons a bit, in that going rogue in Dollet was really more about getting in a fight, but the way that the SeeDs behaved in Dollet...he's not wrong in thinking it hardly made the Garden look like The Good Guys.

Unfortunately, there's nothing he can do. The guard left behind keeps torturing Squall and asking for questions Squall definitely doesn't have the answer to, until Squall is left with only two options:

I do like here that there is no triumphant option where Squall resists the torture, proving his moral character. The two options are 'The torture broke him, so he tries to bait them into killing him to escape it' and 'The torture broke him, so he makes anything he can think of up to get them to stop'.

Holy shit, Selphie.

I love how there is absolutely zero connective tissue between what Selphie loves or finds cute and why she's fine gruesomely destroying for the sake of the mission. Train? Blow it up with a missile! Cute furry mascot? Skin him for a disguise! The mascot immediately backs away in fright and she insists she was kidding (while doing the hand-on-head 'eto bleh!' pose to boot!) and Zell thinks that no, she didn't sound like she was.

She's a genki girl character, very high energy, social, wants to do special school events (like they're high school students, not killers for hire), so the expectation is that she would have a bleeding heart, especially for animals. But nope. She is a trained mercenary.

Somewhat disappointingly, their plan to draw a guard into the room is for Quistis and Selphie to just play dead and for Zell to call out the guards and say they need help because they fell unconscious and a snake might have bit them. It's a trick so old there is no way it should ever work, but one of the guards does enter the room to check what's happening, wherein he quickly finds out what happens when you're in the same room as Zell without two guns pointed on him.

If they're normally imprisoning political prisoners, it does make sense they don't really know how to deal with prisoners who are an actual threat, especially when the place is full of guards and military equipment.

…oh, yeah, magic works just fine. I'm going to choose to ignore that as a gameplay contrivance, because if the anti-magic field is only working inside the cell then there was literally no reason for Quistis and Selphie to stay in rather than go out with Zell.

Diegetically I think it's just inside the spells, but I think this can be rationalised as Quistis and Selphie both only using magic as a supplement, and needing the weapons to defend themselves whilst using it.

Holy shit. My brain is so fried from Rebirth

Right there with you. So many times during the game I've thought 'The writers can't do this now, this is illegal'

Raine: "You mean Julia, the singer?"
Kiros: "That's right. Laguna really admired her and always frequented her night club."
Laguna: "Shut up! So what if I did!"
Raine: "Julia used to sing at a night club?"
Kiros: "No, she didn't sing. She just played the piano."
Raine: "Then the first song she released was 'Eyes On Me'?"
Laguna: "H-How does the song go?"
Raine: "You don't know?"
Laguna: "Well, you never hear me hear it!"
Raine: "I didn't know you listened to music. The song's about being in love… I really like it."
Kiros: "Heard she recently got married."
Raine: "Oh yeah! To some army general, right? General Caraway or something?"
Kiros: "I'm not too sure."
Raine: "I read in a magazine that her true love went off to war and never came back. General Caraway comforted her while she was feeling down. That's how they got to know each other."
Kiros: "...So she didn't wait for the soldier to come back..?"
Laguna: "So what! Who cares!? As long as she's happy, right? That's all that matters! (He turns around and leaves the screen.) "Ain't that right, Elle?"
Ellone: "Right! Uncle Laguna and Raine are…"
Laguna: "Ahhhhhh!"
(Side note: Here, Laguna's "Aaaah" overlays the 'Raine' bit of Ellone's dialogue box, so it's clear he's trying to drown out whatever she's saying because he's embarrassed..)
Laguna: "OK, enough talk about this!"

I… Was not expecting this.

I mean, good for Julia. She finally wrote that song, based on that one evening with Laguna, and broke out into a superstar. He knew Madonna before she was famous. That's nice.

But also what's going on.

I'm remembering back in the Laguna scene where we're first introduced to Julia, there was the jealous officer lurking around that was ticked off that she was paying attention to Laguna, instead of him, and commented about sending them off on a suicide mission. Then, we next see the group at the Centra ruins, and someone brought it up and commented that "Well, I guess he actually had the authority to do that".

Turns out that the jealous douche was Rinoa's dad! And he appears to have pulled off a 100% successful Uriah gambit, which I didn't really expect!

people usually talk about Rinoa and Quistis.
They're the female lead and a hot dominatrix, it doesn't surprise me that other ladies get lost in the shuffle, even though Selphie is The Best.
I mean... how would you go about explaining Selphie to somebody who hasn't played FFVIII?
Mildly autistic genki girl? If I'm talking to someone who isn't steeped in nerd circles, maybe something along the lines of "cheerful girl with her head in the clouds and no brain/mouth filter".

I'd say the thing with Selphie is that she is so cheerful and upbeat that it sticks in your mind a bit better than all of the bits where she reveals she really is a killer for hire as well.

Um, I may be misremembering, but I'm pretty sure feeding the interrogator a line of bullshit instead of insulting him is an immediate SeeD rank-down on your next paycheck.

Even if money did matter and this does rank you down... well, the maximum SeeD Rank is 31 (or A, since it goes from 30 to that). There are 30 free, infinitely repeatable tests with zero consequences for failure consisting entirely of ten True or False questions that can all be taken from the menu at any time, and success increases your SeeD rank by 1.

So, suffice to say, SeeD Rank is a neat idea with how little things on missions can actively change it up or down... but overall, it really doesn't matter beyond flavor. I can't speak for Omi, but I currently have something like 200,000 gil bouncing around in my back pocket and that's without bothering with things like "spend a chunk of money on Tents so the entire party has +3000 Max HP for the rest of the game".

Um, I may be misremembering, but I'm pretty sure feeding the interrogator a line of bullshit instead of insulting him is an immediate SeeD rank-down on your next paycheck.
Lying in this section also reduces the help you get from the Moombas (the lion-like beings). They can give valuable items or create shortcuts, but they only appear if you stand your ground, are brave, and fight for what is just. If you lack courage, lie, or submit to authority, according to my guide book, they won't appear.

Lying in this section also reduces the help you get from the Moombas (the lion-like beings). They can give valuable items or create shortcuts, but they only appear if you stand your ground, are brave, and fight for what is just. If you lack courage, lie, or submit to authority, according to my guide book, they won't appear.
Ah yes.
"Fighting for what is just" and "not submitting to authority."
These are definitely things being a diehard SeeD, a merc-for-hire where one of the requirements to pass their initiation exam is to obey your CO unflinchingly even when their orders go against your stated objectives, represents. Definitely.

Edit: Oh, and "standing your ground" is a bit of a hoot, too, considering the events of the Dollet sequence end with you leaving them to rot.

Edit 2: That's not to say these aren't qualities Squall and the party might have... though if they do they haven't demonstrated much other than maybe bravery... but, like. These aren't qualities SeeDs as trained by the Gardens have that we've seen, and in fact they're ones that SeeDs are strongly discouraged from having simply due to the nature of their training and profession. They're child soldier mercs trained to follow orders to the letter and no further. "Fighting for what's just" and "standing your ground" don't come into it at any point.

Last edited:
Back