IOU a College Degree (GURPS) (IOU)

It's Monday. Back to work for me after a month off for frozen shoulder.

This is going to be a challenge in more ways than one. I now have an onboard logbook in the truck and need to learn how to use it.

For everyone's information, the power supply to my computer blew last night, so I'm working off my shitty laptop with a questionably functional hard drive.

In other news, I managed to thrash out a few ideas for courses. It's the names that really threw me, since I figured out some of what I wanted James to have skills in reasonably quickly. This list should not be considered complete, as I still have a few gaps to fill. -coughcoughcombatspellscough-

• Pnec 101: Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Zombies. (Teaches, as you can guess, the Zombie spell, along with the other related spells (Control Zombie, Mass Zombie, Turn Zombie, Zombie Summoning) at basic level.)
  • Pnec 206: Modernized Mortuary Cult Methods & Teachings (Teaches Professional Skill (Mortician) with a familiarity of preserving bodies. Useful for making mummies.)
  • Nec 204: Induced Material Possessions (Teaches Animate. Commonly mixed up with I&C 204: Inducing Material Possessions.)
  • I&C 204: Inducing Material Possessions (Teaches Create Object. Commonly mixed up with Nec 204: Induced Material Possessions.)
    • James wouldn't be talking this class deliberately. If however, I bungled a skill roll in signing up for classes...

Also, I ended up coming up with the theory that the undead-focused classes ended up splitting off from the main necromancy department, which was focusing on the more 'talking and summoning the spirits of the dead' aspects to the detriment of the rest of the curriculum. If this ends up interfering with what our fine GMs have planned, feel free to discard it completely.

Okay. Here is what I need.
The basic Medicine classes.
A first primer in alterante timelines and Dimoensions.
A course in Fire spells, or in electricity
A Alchemy class, medium.
Magic self-defense made easy
Assertiveness 101
Now, which colleges would that be ?

For Maya it's easy - hacking and robot construction is clearly WUSE, though I am not sure what level should she start at - 101 is clearly not it, especially taking into account tech level difference
She will also probably want side-dish of COUP - contracts and bank system operation mostly
If possible will choose practical shooting or something like it as PE

I'd like to apologize, my head hasn't been in the best spot recently. Also I think Unimaginative has dropped out?

I'm playing around with how learning new things will work. Right now I'm thinking that there is a skill penalty of X-1 which can be 'bought off' via either having taken X number of immediate prerequisites or skills with X-1 points in them, have a talent, or possibly previously taking or auditing the course.

Which is to say that a course with a 200's number is at -1 unless you took 2 100 courses on the same thing, have 1 closely related skill with 1 point in them. Thoughts?

• Pnec 101: Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Zombies. (Teaches, as you can guess, the Zombie spell, along with the other related spells (Control Zombie, Mass Zombie, Turn Zombie, Zombie Summoning) at basic level.)
  • Pnec 206: Modernized Mortuary Cult Methods & Teachings (Teaches Professional Skill (Mortician) with a familiarity of preserving bodies. Useful for making mummies.)
  • Nec 204: Induced Material Possessions (Teaches Animate. Commonly mixed up with I&C 204: Inducing Material Possessions.)
  • I&C 204: Inducing Material Possessions (Teaches Create Object. Commonly mixed up with Nec 204: Induced Material Possessions.)
    • James wouldn't be talking this class deliberately. If however, I bungled a skill roll in signing up for classes...

You are taking two more classes than you need to as first semester freshthings all get some form of Orientation class (Survival IoU, Area Knowledge IoU). This will result in a -2 penalty to homework/project rolls to reflect your reduced time

The basic Medicine classes.

COUP School of Medicine

A first primer in alterante timelines and Dimoensions.

College of Temporal Happenstance, Ultimate Lies, and Historical Undertakings: Department of Orthodox Chronodisplacement Theory and Original Research
Or WUSE: Department of Temporal Engineering

A course in Fire spells, or in electricity

This also applies to you, @Hakazin

the book said:
All the "Colleges" of magic listed in GURPS Magic and GURPS Grimoire
are departments within the College of Metaphysics – the "Weather College" is
split out and the Water department is still reeling from the recent formation of the
Ice department. Majors in a particular department often have One-College
Magery for that spell college.

College of Metaphysics: College of Fire or College of Air

There are classes for various styles of magic

A Alchemy class, medium.

CoM: Department of Alchemy

Magic self-defense made easy

Live Fire training exercises in COUP or CoM? School of Conservative Arts has a Physical Education department

SPCA: School of Performative Arts?

For Maya it's easy - hacking and robot construction is clearly WUSE, though I am not sure what level should she start at - 101 is clearly not it, especially taking into account tech level difference
She will also probably want side-dish of COUP - contracts and bank system operation mostly

Sounds Solid.

Sam is taking will be forced to take

WUSE
TcS 101: Talking My Language (Teaches Programing skill)
TcS 201: Lingua Franca (More Mathmatics skills)
Orientation

You are taking two more classes than you need to as first semester freshthings all get some form of Orientation class (Survival IoU, Area Knowledge IoU). This will result in a -2 penalty to homework/project rolls to reflect your reduced time

Huh. Assuming that you're counting a class for combat spells, and not counting the Create Object class, (Which, as I said, James wouldn't be taking except as the result of a mixup. He doesn't even know any spells from that college.) My math results in only one class over the guideline of five from the Basic Set.

EDIT: Ah, the IOU supplement lists four courses as the average. Disregard my previous statement.

Huh. Assuming that you're counting a class for combat spells, and not counting the Create Object class, (Which, as I said, James wouldn't be taking except as the result of a mixup. He doesn't even know any spells from that college.) My math results in only one class over the guideline of five from the Basic Set.

EDIT: Ah, the IOU supplement lists four courses as the average. Disregard my previous statement.

Yeah, actually, so quick poll

Courses should be 3 credit hours, or 4?

3 means you can have 4 courses before penalties, but 4 credit hours gives you more points per class

It is entirely possible that Future Tech girl might want to try to 'test out' of the basic requirements.

After all, I tested out of Trig and English when I started college. Promptly landed in Calculus and Speech.

Out of the frying pan so to speak.

====================

You people waited until I was out on the road again to become active didn't you? :p:p

Back