Do you think Shade should stop writing new stuff and get to finish what he's started?

• Of course not.

Votes: 67 4.0%
  • Nope!

Votes: 14 0.8%
  • I must vehemently disagree!

Votes: 16 1.0%
  • I like trains.

Votes: 558 33.4%
  • We know where this is going, but we can't stop looking.

Votes: 362 21.7%
  • I like trainwrecks.

Votes: 238 14.2%
  • This will be fluffy, so everything will be fine.

Votes: 416 24.9%

• Total voters
Created at
Index progress
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

Prologue

Sleep was nice. The waters were still. The ripples on the sea surface null and void...
Prologue

shadenight123

Ten books I have published. More await!
Prologue

Sleep was nice. The waters were still. The ripples on the sea surface null and void. It was a pleasant place. The warmth of the air blew on my skin, and a smile formed on my lips as I let the currents gingerly guide me. My teeth gritted, and my eyebrows scrunched up slightly, though I did not open my eyes. It was a beautiful place, a nice state of mind in which I found myself. No pain, no suffering, no desires, nothing. Yet there was something wrong. My tongue was pushing against teeth that felt slightly wrong, a bit sharper than normal, perhaps.

I breathed deeper, the salty air of the sea making me think of home. Perhaps I had left the window open, and the breeze had found its way inside. Though I was in the water, so maybe I had fallen asleep while playing dead on the sea's surface? Was it even summer? Hadn't I fallen asleep in March? There was supposed to be a colder weather, and I hadn't yet thought about what to do the next day. No, wait, what next day?

I gasped for air as my eyes snapped open to a beautiful night sky devoid of pollution, freed from the clutches of clouds and blindingly shiny in its myriad of stars and in the shattered moon that hung upon the tapestry of the firmament—this was definitely pure poetry, truly something only my half-asleep mind could bring up—and then my eyes closed firmly, a headache drumming itself into the base of my skull, like a small drill working its way through my spine, rushing across my bones and my chest.

The insides of my chest drummed, but they didn't drum like the normal beating of my heart, but kind-of exploded with a dull echo similar to a battering ram threatening to leave me. It was the kind of thing that hurt, and with the pain came the dawning realization that I was not in the middle of the sea, or in my bathtub.

I was in a viscous liquid dark in color, pulsing crystals of dark purple shining ghastly lights down upon the reddish sands and the cracks of the ground.

I raised a hand, and it was a painful prospect because it felt as if my muscles had never been used, never been taut or bent, never been the reason I could walk or lift things. Was this how Neo felt when he awoke from the Matrix? Weak like a baby, and with tears threatening to leave his eyes from the burning sensation that encompassed his whole body? Because I felt as if I was burning, my whole being awash in flames. Was it the liquid? Was I allergic to it? The dark waters were cool to the touch, and yet they burned. They burned, or was it my skin that burned?

What was it that burned?

Thick, grisly arms of a black substance covered in fur lashed out across the dark waters. White clawed fingers cruelly tensed and clutched on the reddish wet mud to pull my body out. Spikes of white trembled and clenched tighter together, skeletal in appearance, and yet veined with crimson lines that weren't arteries or veins. My legs felt wrong, and yet were right. My feet were white, and cruel talons clutched the mud as the rest of my body pushed itself out from the watery depths.

I was not alone. The tranquil pond of dark liquid trembled and broke, and crimson eyes blazed into existence from the darkness, the murky liquid dripping down to reveal white masks and wolf-like bodies that slowly, but surely, came to a halt by my side.

I stared at them, and they stared at me.

My screams became howls.

Their howls soon joined mine.

I present to you: Fluff, heartwarming writing and cuteness. Otherwise known as Shadenight.

Yes, there's no way this story will be anything but pleasant.

A mook grimm? A young alpha? Potentially, a legendary beast?

Chapter One
Chapter One

My tail waggled slowly as I tried to walk on both of my legs, only for my balance to push my body forward, forcing me on all fours. Behind me, the Beowolves mimicked me. They didn't howl, nor grumble. I took a step forward, and they did the same. I would have scrunched my eyebrows up in thoughts, but the bone-like mask didn't have eyebrows. It did feel as if I had done it though, but no outward changes were predominant as my reflection in the murky dark waters remained unchanged.

I raised a clawed hand, and the Beowolf I was looking at copied me, not really questioning it. I inclined my head to the side, my tongue licking my sharp fangs, and he did the same. Honestly, it was like being in front of a mirror. I lowered my paw, and he did the same.

Only rough growls escaped my throat, but as they did in tune, so too did the other Beowolves of my pack mimic them.

Short and sharp growls were copied, longer ones too. Short and long ones too, and in order. They had good memory, or perhaps they didn't need memory when it came to me? It wasn't like I was giving them mental orders, because no matter how much I thought about it, the Beowolves didn't move without a spoken command.

I extended a paw and pointed at one of them, and then gestured to the top of a cliff nearby. I pointed repeatedly, but the creature didn't as much as move. It didn't twitch, or blink, or do anything wolf-like or dog-like. It simply remained on its four legs, in wait. It had a tail, but it didn't even waggle it. I took a deep breath, although no lungs expanded from the act itself. Turning my back to the small group of Beowolves that had decided I was their leader for some strange reason, I began to trudge forward on my shaky four limbs.

I was used to walking on two legs, so getting the rhythm right on four was quite different. I could stand up in time to slash with my claws, but the balance was utterly bogus.

I didn't even have a direction in mind. It was more like I knew I had to go somewhere, but I had no idea of where it was. If anything, my steps moved my body as if I was walking back home, the gait in my step increasing as I broke out into a small run. Behind me, the Beowolves settled into formation, my neck craning right and left to catch a glimpse of them, and in so doing I missed a crystal outcrop from the ground, stumbled, and proceeded to roll on the dirty red sand.

I wasn't tired.

I didn't need to breathe. I wasn't tired. I was a murdermachine who had no concept of sleep, a Von Neumann biological creation whose only purpose was to kill, a bioweapon perhaps, or maybe some sort of mumbo-jumbo mystical shit that came from the Godly brothers, or evil of the world. Whatever the reason, I was something that would see me killed the moment Hunters came into the fray. An intoxicating scent of coffee caught my nostrils, and I abruptly stilled. My neck snapped to the side, to the source of the smell, and as I glanced at my pack, I realized they too had smelled it.

What the hell was someone brewing coffee of all things in this place? And since when was I capable of smelling it from such a distance? No matter how much I cheesed out about caffeine, the truth was that I didn't have superpowers tied to it. Still, as I hastily rushed towards the nearby hill, and climbed my way over the crest, understanding dawned, and with it, disgust.

A man wearing a Grimm mask was bleeding to death, a Beowolf locked in a fight with him. The man's aura had been drained, or was non-existent, and his fear, his terror, his heartbeat—they were a mixture of beautiful salivating smells to my nostrils. It was my brain who was changing the smell of his emotions into things I could comprehend, and as I shuddered from revulsion, I watched the man stumble away from a swipe of the claw. He didn't look like a member of the White Fang. No, judging by how weakly he was fighting, he was probably going to die soon from blood loss, if the Grimm didn't get to him first.

I rushed down from the side of the hill. I had no idea if I'd reach him in time, nor a clue on what would happen if I tackled my fellow Grimm by the shoulder. What I hoped was that I could chalk it up to being a neophyte and having slipped against my 'Senpai'. I changed course once I realized I was too late, the Beowolf already engaging the masked man delivering a powerful claw swing to his face, literally shattering the mask, and half of the man's face. As he fell, I felt something akin to the beating of a heart within my rib cage, my neck twitching slightly as I licked my lips.

No.

I shook my head, rushing past the Beowolf feasting on the man's corpse, and grimly realized that the rest of my pack had decided to stop for a quick bite rather than keep following me.

I had no intention of doing that, thank you very much, and so I didn't stop.

I could feel something pull to me, that peculiar feeling of going home still deeply throbbing into my chest. The dunes of red sand and filled with purple-colored crystals were every now and then breaking the monotony of the view with a few ponds of dark liquid, which depending on its size would also have nearby Grimms of different types. A few Nevermore cawed as they seemed to get the hang of flying, and a Goliath nonchalantly looked at me pass him by without care.

I was really glad I wasn't registering as a human to them, or I'd be dead. I'd be dead, and eaten.

I saw the palace I was heading for, and my non-existing heart leaped in my chest as I accelerated in my dash. Running faster was easy. Slowing down, though, proved not easy, especially on sand. My claws outright slipped against the fine red sand, and as my body lost control, I ended up stumbling. I rolled on the ground as my back hit the large door meant as a main entrance of the place, and the doors gave way to my girth and weight, opening with a sharp clangor. My talons and claws hit the marble tiles, the white and black monochromatic style making me wonder if I had ended up in Crudelia Demon's castle, but still the nagging feeling of being home didn't abate, and if anything, it made me at ease.

This was home.

"What are you doing?" a female voice asked, and as it did, my tail began to waggle.

In front of me stood the white-haired Salem.

And all that I wanted was to hug her and call her mom.

I have a theory about Salem. She wants to destroy human civilization through any means neccessary, and yet the Grim do not detect any 'sinful' emotions from her.

Maybe she beleives herself without sin, and that is enough for the Grim.

I am interested is seeing Beowulf!Shade become a Wolf-Girl!Shade and see her/him calling Salem 'Mum<3'.

Shade you'll do it right? Right?!

Oh well... That was actually cute... I now have an unrestrained urge of petting a beowolf...

want the grimmknight one actually, but comparing your Familiar of Zero snippets and the one made into series, I believe this small disappointment will soon turn into excitement...with love and fluff also,*hugs*

Chapter Two
Chapter Two

Salem's fingers intertwined as she clasped her hands in front of her, her crimson eyes surrounded by pitch-black darkness staring at me, her skin as white as porcelain veined with black. Her hair was in white curls, her dress snugging fitly to her frame as she slowly, but surely, walked closer to me. My limbs refused to fully obey me. Not that I would have been able to swing a claw at her, but the mere thought of doing such a thing became an impossibility. A part of me, a small, yet extremely vocal part of me refused the sheer principle of attacking her. It was the part that kept my claws still.

"What brings you here?" Salem asked, her expression not really puzzled, more like a mask of indifference. "Has a human entered the palace?" she reached with her index and middle fingers to touch the side of her chin, "I do not sense them." She furrowed her brows. "A semblance, perhaps?"

I swallowed, though there was no saliva to swallow in my throat. I shook my head, patting my chest with my claw.

"No?" she glanced at me, her fingers once more knit together. "Why are you not..." she neared, unafraid. Her right hand came for the side of my face, her fingers touching my Grimm mask. She kept a face of indifference even as she dutifully traced the crimson veins of the white bone-like mask, "There is something different about you, is there not?" she asked. "You do not feel like an Alpha."

I carefully nodded, a very slow motion since her fingers were still by the side of my mask, which doubled as my actual face. She removed her hand and as her lips twitched in a tiny smile, she turned her back on me. "If you desire to follow me, then so be it. Be forewarned that I do not tolerate disobedience." She glanced back towards me, "also avoid stepping on my dress. I guarantee you, it is a foolishness you will never be forgiven for."

I would have blinked, if I had had any eyebrows to do the motion. As it was, I found myself carefully avoiding the dress' train, clambering to follow the pale lady up a flight of stairs covered in thick, velvety carpets. I growled slightly as I followed behind her, my clawed right hand pressing against my throat. Salem chuckled. "Patience," she said. "There is no hurry. I will grant you speech."

Thus we slowly walked forward on a hallway large and imposing, suits of armor hanging by its sides as large windows showed the barren lands beyond with dark clouds looming, ready to unleash torrential downpour on the blighted crimson sand.

"You are newly born, and yet already wise as if hundred of years old," Salem mused as she came to a halt just outside a door. "It is the way of the Grimm to surprise," she remained still. She looked up at me, and I stared back down at her. "A lady does not open a door. A door opens for a lady."

I nodded, and proceeded to lunge for the truly offensive door who dared not open, and as I pushed down on the handle and pried it off, the door swung open. I gingerly made a bowing gesture as I extended both hands within the room, to gesture that the way was open.

"Less strength," Salem spoke in monotone, "The door will need to be replaced."

I hesitantly emitted a whine as if I had been a kicked dog, trying to close the door behind us with as much care as it was possible. The door's hinges burst, and with a sordid thunk, the door itself fell on the floor. Salem said nothing. She merely stared at the fallen door, then up at my sheepish face —was I even making a sheepish face? Was my mask capable of emitting sheepish shapes? I sure hoped it could.

I felt my tail brush against the ground. I had dropped it instinctively, but as Salem didn't seem willing to berate me, it rose back up and began to waggle slowly. This unnerved and angered me in equal parts. Was the body mine, or was I merely playing half-passenger and half-pilot? It could be that I was a sort-of parasite for the Grimm I was inhabiting, which would explain some of my reactions, but at the same time was this truly it? Could I move into another host if that was the case?

How did it even work to begin with?

The large, circular room had stacks of shelves everywhere, settled upon multiple levels connected by wooden ladders. Small Jellyfish-like Grimm floated while making crackling sounds up and down, their long tendrils gingerly plucking books and reordering them. As they slowly worked above our heads, Salem stopped in front of what could only be her desk, a large book with pages yellow from age in front of her.

With deliberate, but careful, motions she began to turn the pages. I watched silently from behind her shoulder, the pages filled with pictures of Grimm masterfully drawn. She came to a halt as she reached the end of the pictures, and the beginning of blank pages. Extending a hand, she grabbed from the top of the desk a black feather, and after dipping it into a small pot of ink by the side of the book, she began to draw.

I watched, silently, as she drew each line with flawless perfection, finishing in mere minutes what would have taken a world-famous artist months. She did it all without mistakes, or blotches of ink to ruin the paper. The ink itself was black, and yet it changed color as it stained the parchment to fill up the lines, crafting a Grimm upon the pages within mere seconds that felt familiar to my eyes.

"Here you are," Salem said, nonchalantly taking a step to the side to show me the picture. "What should I call you?"

I moved a hand to clutch my throat, and growled slightly once more. I'd rather say it myself, no?

Salem touched the tip of the book's page, lines of ink spreading from the tip of her finger upon it, reaching for the bottom of the picture where, in a neat cursive, a name appeared.

Beowolf Beta.

I snorted, and shook my head.

Salem raised an eyebrow with a slow, deliberate motion, and the name changed once more.

Beowolf Omega.

Once more, I shook my head. I pointed at my throat and growled. I repeatedly thumped my neck, as if to say, let me speak my name rather than play charades!

Salem simply smiled, and the name changed one last time.

Shade.

I froze.

Salem kept the smile on her face as she raised her other hand, touching my mask and gingerly patting it. My body betrayed me, immediately kneeling down to allow for her fingers to rub the top of my head, while my tail waggled happily.

"Now I will grant you the gift of speech, Shade," she spoke without any outward sign of emotion, a Jellyfish-like Grimm crackling as it came down, landing on her open palm.

Where are you directing those tentacles, Salem?

What are you doing—No—my purity!

Back