Flying Circus - Ghibli Inspired Aviation Fantasy RPG!

Time for Herr Fokker to Show These Young Whippernsappers How Things Are Done? (A closed cockpit? You mean a COWARD BOX!? :V )
I think Fokker fell down the stairs.

Secrets of the Abyss is basically a quest style playtest of the game and the closest you'll get to an actual tabletop experience. Aircraft Design Company started as a straight forward "Let SV break my system so I can fix it" and tumbled into a full on setting called Gayaverse. Castles of Steel is a spin off of the Gayaverse following a princess navel officer. No direct connection with Flying Circus, but absolutely a must read if you like Aircraft Design Company. There probably is a read order for those two, but the easiest would just read posts in both quests in release order.

They're all great, but if you just want a demonstration of Flying Circus read Secrets of the Abyss.

You forgot about this one.

forums.sufficientvelocity.com

Natural Born Soviet Airwoman - Airplanes vs Aliens Original - Alt. History

You pressed the stick back a few more degrees, feeling the plane fighting it as the oversized...

After I take a nice break, I'm going to be launching into a pile of small expansions covering different ideas and time periods, from a historical WW1 simulator, to WW2 era alien invasions, to magical girls flying jet fighters!

Feel free to ask me questions or whatever, I'll be hanging around and following the thread.

Okay, I need to say a few things. First off...PRAISE THE DIVINES FOR YOUR WORK AND THANK YOU!!!!!!!! I've been a huge fan of anything Miyazaki for a long time and this just made my decade!

Now for some suggestions! :D
-1: Everything from WW2, ESPECIALLY the wonder weapons. All the prototypes, all the canceled projects, and all the super-weapons that never came to be. We're talking every tank, plane, and ship ever put to paper, the more crazy, the better!
-2: Carriers are a 'must have'. Airships like the USS Akron and USS Macon could fit right in with your world with little to no changes, even bigger versoins would be even better, and flying versions of navy ships is pure Miyazaki!
-3: Retro versions of everything from the Strangereal universe of Ace Combat. Mainly the super weapons from AC5, 6, and 7. The Arkbird, Arsenal Bird, Chandelier, Excalibur, P-1112 Aigaion (flying carrier), Scinfaxi-class submarines and/or the Alicorn, the SOLG satellite, and Stonehenge.
-4: Girls und Panzer, Fleet Girls, Strike Witches, Kantai Collection, and the Miniskirt Space Pirates/Bodacious Space Pirates series are all perfect for use as reference material.
-5: It's not Miyazaki without Nausicaä! Her jet-glider is amazing, the airships are spectacular, and the God-Warriors are epic!
-6: While it's not quite finished, I'll even give you my personal permission to use my original design of a Dragon-class Interdiction/Assault Ship! (Think modernized hybrid Montana/H-39/A-150 super-battleship!) I'll post the link for it on my deviant art page when it's done. :)
-7: I have no idea on exactly how they could work in your RPG, but Stirling Engines are amazing pieces of technology that honestly deserve more recognition and use then they currently do. While not as mobile or powerful as steam engines, they are marvelous as stationary or long-term continuous power sources. Add in the fact that they only require a temperature differential from literally ANY heat source, including waste heat from OTHER power sources or devices, and you've got an amazingly useful bit of tech with huge amounts of potential. Considering I can make a functioning Stirling Engine in D&D 3.5 using only the spells Heat Metal/Wall of Fire and Chill Metal/Wall of Ice, well... 😈😈😈

Anyways, I hope that anything I've suggested is useful to you. I'll certainly be buying the game for myself as soon as I can get the money! Cheers and divines bless you! =^x^=

Last edited:
I really dig how one of the student planes is basically that "We trained him wrong on purpose, as a joke" clip but in plane form.

That alert had me scared! Glad you're doing good @open_sketch !

I have a member of my RPG group who is a huge Ghibli fan, especially Laputa and Nausicaa. And the game looks very cool. I think I have to pick this up.

Congratulations to you on completing and releasing Flying Circus, Sketch. It looks really good and my fingers are crossed that it ... takes off.

The heat ray is IIRC a variant attribute that's applied to a regular gun, as far as plane design is concerned - after all, there's no inherent reason for a heat ray to impossible to scale up or down. It's a similar the same mechanic to as mechanical guns (which are guns that are driven by a link to the engine rather than using repeating mechanisms internal to the gun).
Edit: just checked and heat rays are definitely an attribute that's added to an existing weapon profile. There's also pneumatic and gyrojet features.

Last edited:
the gyrojet is an increidable boost to cannons when hunting airships or ground targets that can fight back. keep out of their range while exploiting the fact that by shooting at them at max range you are hitting way harder and ignoring their armor.

So, How hard would it be to hack this to be less Worldwar 1 and more Crimson Skies/Warbirds?

Edit: just checked and heat rays are definitely an attribute that's added to an existing weapon profile. There's also pneumatic and gyrojet features.
They are also, RAW, stackable. No, I don't know what a gast principle heat ray looks like, but it's probably fun. (And a Heat Ray Punt Gun is a giant flashbulb, obvs, but Scatterguns also say they don't use the normal shooting move at all, which is odd.)
the gyrojet is an incredible boost to cannons when hunting airships or ground targets that can fight back.
It's crazy good on the Precision Rifle, which ignores range bands. I built a plane around it and it's much closer to a gunship than a fighter, just stay in the air all day, make a slight turn, and let the gunner go to town at stand-off range.
So, How hard would it be to hack this to be less Worldwar 1 and more Crimson Skies/Warbirds?
Go check out Natural Born Soviet Airwoman, one of Sketch's quests, which involves fighting aliens from another dimension.

It's crazy good on the Precision Rifle, which ignores range bands. I built a plane around it and it's much closer to a gunship than a fighter, just stay in the air all day, make a slight turn, and let the gunner go to town at stand-off range.
heat ray and heavy cannon combo is another OP combo as it removes the heavy cannon's biggest draw back.

Last edited:
Back