E.L.F, Extraterrestrial Lifeform

The problem with this is that you are assuming powers are known to do X. Nilbog is a Columbine Shooter equivalent, except his took out a city. How do people know he wasn't 'disturbed' before Ellisburg? How do people know Glastig Uaine was perfectly psychonormal before her trigger? Case 53s come with tatoos they didn't put there themselves. What we see with Faultline's Crew, no one in universe really believes their powers wiped their own memory, as opposed to someone else doing it to them. Their origin is the actual 'case.'
Fair enough. Though powers generally are known to do X, or else the Brute, breaker, etc. listing of powers would be worthless. It's broad categories and broad strokes but the only thing that Taylor is actually doing that is unprecedented is mind to mind contact. How she's doing it is generally irrelevant. The rest of her powers are something other parahumans have done just nowhere near her power or scale.

This is where precedent would fuck with that. Some capes do come with biological changes. Every Breaker for example, who go from normal human hardware to something distinctly not. Fog, Shadow Stalker. Others grow/change into something else. Aegis, Lung. Biological changes are not new. Retreating due to pain? Sure. Unconscious use of powers? Uncommon, but not unheard of. Unconscious for over two days? Pushing it. Retreated for five days? Now you start asking why and taking a second look at the rest of it.

Yes but breakers generally turn back to human once they're done breaking physics, Changers are consciously shifting back and forth. Aegis is still human, his power is just to re-purpose other parts of his body, Lung should be considered a changer now that I think about it, or at least a Brute/changer classification. A vast majority of the powers that affect their human hosts change only minor parts, even the most visible ones like Canary's hair for instance is something that is extremely uncommon outside of Case 53's. Taylor's changes are permanent and all encompassing. Aside from her memories and morals (and even those are being affected) she isn't human anymore. Her 'trigger' was extremely painful and 'disfiguring' something that isn't at all common, if ever. Her entire body was changed into something else, not just "We don't know what makes Weld work." but "You are an entirely different species of being who, if going by Panacea's words, was "created" by something." She is physically unprecedented, why wouldn't the circumstances behind her trigger be so? I'm not saying that they don't have a case here just that they are basing this case on a very limited amount of information. Which I hope, very much so, gets brought up in the trial.

It didn't hurt anyone because Brockton Bay and surrounding had a No Fly zone enforced. If they had assumed that now she was awake and under control and cooperating with the PRT, planes could fly again, they could have been missing several hundred more people. That's not a point in her favor.

Fair enough.

Or rather prosecuting a 15 year old WMD who runs a real risk of bringing Might Makes Right doctrine up to the forefront at a time when America can look at other countries and their governments that fell apart, trampled under the feet of parahumans. Fear is a lovely thing.

There already are WMD characters that could bring down Might Makes Right, that they don't is only due to their morals, they don't care or they don't have the time. The Triumvirate are all on that list of characters you mentioned and are free to do mostly what they wish as long as they have PRT/government oversight. Why Taylor cannot be included in this is confusing. Taylor went willingly with the PRT and that should be noted, that she only left her confinement because she was shoved into a situation where she was face to face with the person who caused her to trigger should also be noted. The DA doesn't know that last part as far as I know which means its not exactly applicable as is but that is also something I hope is brought up during the trial.

And as for the trial. If the DA has such huge legs to stand on, how is Taylor going to get out of this without being convicted and sentenced? Would she even allow herself to be sentenced? I know that the DA doesn't exactly understand just what it is they're bringing in but this kind of tactic just seems... I don't know, poorly planned out?

Fair enough. Though powers generally are known to do X, or else the Brute, breaker, etc. listing of powers would be worthless. It's broad categories and broad strokes but the only thing that Taylor is actually doing that is unprecedented is mind to mind contact. How she's doing it is generally irrelevant. The rest of her powers are something other parahumans have done just nowhere near her power or scale.
Depends. She gets bonus scary marks for those powers being Thinker in particular. But Siberian invincibility, the only one to beat Alexandria's apparently nigh invincibility, everything that is Legend's Breaker state, Eidolon when he was fresh on the scene? Even Thinkers can have power and scale, as Dinah does. Sleeper subsumed a world post Golden Morning, and even now the size of a small country has just been vacated for him. What Taylor has that other parahumans really don't is that her categories are near Eidolon-tier versatility and strength. He can pull out more esoteric shit in exchange for only 3 powers at once though.
Yes but breakers generally turn back to human once they're done breaking physics, Changers are consciously shifting back and forth. Aegis is still human, his power is just to re-purpose other parts of his body, Lung should be considered a changer now that I think about it, or at least a Brute/changer classification. A vast majority of the powers that affect their human hosts change only minor parts, even the most visible ones like Canary's hair for instance is something that is extremely uncommon outside of Case 53's. Taylor's changes are permanent and all encompassing. Aside from her memories and morals (and even those are being affected) she isn't human anymore. Her 'trigger' was extremely painful and 'disfiguring' something that isn't at all common, if ever. Her entire body was changed into something else, not just "We don't know what makes Weld work." but "You are an entirely different species of being who, if going by Panacea's words, was "created" by something." She is physically unprecedented, why wouldn't the circumstances behind her trigger be so? I'm not saying that they don't have a case here just that they are basing this case on a very limited amount of information. Which I hope, very much so, gets brought up in the trial.
Her trigger is unusual both in the extent of the altered biology, the brain damage and apparent pain she went through. These are good points. Good enough to make someone drop a case beforehand? Probably not, since its all unprecedented.
There already are WMD characters that could bring down Might Makes Right, that they don't is only due to their morals, they don't care or they don't have the time. The Triumvirate are all on that list of characters you mentioned and are free to do mostly what they wish as long as they have PRT/government oversight. Why Taylor cannot be included in this is confusing. Taylor went willingly with the PRT and that should be noted, that she only left her confinement because she was shoved into a situation where she was face to face with the person who caused her to trigger should also be noted. The DA doesn't know that last part as far as I know which means its not exactly applicable as is but that is also something I hope is brought up during the trial.
And as for the trial. If the DA has such huge legs to stand on, how is Taylor going to get out of this without being convicted and sentenced? Would she even allow herself to be sentenced? I know that the DA doesn't exactly understand just what it is they're bringing in but this kind of tactic just seems... I don't know, poorly planned out?
Yes, at the time the Triumvirate joined the PRT they were established heroes as adults and, more importantly, didn't actually have a body count of innocent bystanders to their name. The days when the Triumvirate publicly bowed to the government for regulation and oversight was literally almost twenty years ago. In the mean time, there has been a rise in villains within the US, the Endbringers are tearing the global economy down, other countries are visibly and violently coming apart at the seams. A refresher is in order, and much like Canary in canon, Taylor looks like a good target.

A 'good' tactic would be to just accept 400+ people as the broken egg to make the omelette of a strong teenage Thinker who can't be reasonably contained, and to continue to swallow any more incidents and lives lost due to lack of control as is their lot in life as the unpowered many. Eventually, maybe, the PRT/Protectorate will be able to keep her in check! Until then, give them full authority to run roughshod over a few of the trivial laws and policies in place so said teenager doesn't have another temper tantrum and endanger more people.

That won't sound like a good tactic to a lot of people. As you said, reasonably stupid.

The DA doesn't have to win to make an impact. Even if they did win, mitigating circumstances would prevent the punishment from being too harsh. Federal interference, if nothing else. But it does send a message either way.

There is a class of parahumans where the system just doesn't work.

So what do they do now?

It's easy to give Taylor an alt-power that breaks the setting. I want to show the pieces.

If you would like, I would appreciate any help you have to offer in fleshing this trial out as much as possible. Defense, offense, options, etc. Hopefully I can manage to present it realistically. :)

If you would like, I would appreciate any help you have to offer in fleshing this trial out as much as possible. Defense, offense, options, etc. Hopefully I can manage to present it realistically. :)

One thing to consider is the trials duration. If Paige' s trial is finished before Taylor's it sets a precedence (at least it appears to in my mind) that the intent or lack there off isn't as important as the result, and that sentencing is being used as a deterrent to others, not just as punishment. That would be rather bad for Taylor. Of course, if Taylor's trial finishes first it might affect Paige' s trial.

In the below I highlighted what seemed to me to state that Paige's sentencing was used as an example for others.

Interlude 6
"Those facts are in your favor. Unfortunately, the rest of the facts are not. Understand, Miss Mcabee, our nation uses incarceration for several reasons. We aim to remove dangerous individuals from the population and we do it punitively, both for justice against transgressors and to give other criminals pause.

"Each of these applies in your case. It is not only the heinous nature of the crime that must be addressed by the sentencing, but the fact that it was performed with a power. Laws are still new in the face of parahuman criminality. We become aware of new powers on a weekly basis, most if not all warranting careful and individual attention in respect to the law. In many of these cases, there is little to no precedent to fall back on. As such, the courts are forced to continually adapt, to be proactive and inventive in the face of new circumstances that parahuman abilities introduce.

"It is with all of this in mind that I consider your sentencing. I must protect the public, not only from you, but from other parahumans that might consider doing as you did. Placing you in standard detention proves problematic and exorbitantly expensive. It would be inhumane and harmful to your body to keep you under restraint for the duration of your incarceration. Special facilities, staff and countermeasures would have to be arranged to keep you in isolation from other inmates. You pose a significant flight risk. Finally, the possibility of you re-entering society, by escape or parole, is particularly concerning, given the possibility of a repeat offense.

"It is with this in mind that I have decided that there is sufficient cause to sentence you outside the scope of the TSPA. Guilty on two counts, the defendant, Paige Mcabee, is sentenced to indefinite incarceration within the Baumann Parahuman Containment Center."

Her trigger is unusual both in the extent of the altered biology, the brain damage and apparent pain she went through. These are good points. Good enough to make someone drop a case beforehand? Probably not, since its all unprecedented.
At this point I am aware I was being unreasonable about dropping the case as the DA is ignorant of some of the information going into this so prosecution is a likely if somewhat futile event. She can, however, leverage the points I mentioned into her case. They should be brought up as defenses as they are some of the biggest indicators that Taylor's trigger is unique and that some things should be considered rather than lumping her into a generic mold and prosecuting her on established moors.

A refresher is in order, and much like Canary in canon, Taylor looks like a good target.
So railroading to stroke their ego's and make it seem like they're doing something important rather than leaving it to the "grownups" who actually can do what they say they can.

As you can probably tell I have a powerful hatred for unpowered people who think they "Know better" in a super powered setting. Not that I don't think some of them do know how to handle things right but that general "My point of view is more important than yours." attitude rubs my craw something fierce. Half of the problems in Worm were because people thought they "Knew better." Armsmaster, Piggot, Alexandria and Cauldron, Tagg, etc. They tried to force their opinions and domination on characters that really should have been handled by someone more sensitive to those characters needs. Off the top of my head so many parahumans could be bought with the carrot rather than beating them with it/the stick.

Lisa, pay her money to use her powers. Brian, help him with his sister. Rachel, actually defend her rather than railroad her. Etc. Even characters like Faultlines Crew could have been recruited in a limited sense if they were kept on retainer with a decent sized carrot to keep them from turning to crime. I know they shouldn't have to bend over backwards for them but treating these people like they're human and at the very least intelligent, rather than a bunch of degenerates and soldiers is a smart decision. Treating them like children and strong arming them is only gonna make them pissed at you and treat you like a necessary evil.

A 'good' tactic would be to just accept 400+ people as the broken egg to make the omelette of a strong teenage Thinker who can't be reasonably contained, and to continue to swallow any more incidents and lives lost due to lack of control as is their lot in life as the unpowered many. Eventually, maybe, the PRT/Protectorate will be able to keep her in check! Until then, give them full authority to run roughshod over a few of the trivial laws and policies in place so said teenager doesn't have another temper tantrum and endanger more people.

That won't sound like a good tactic to a lot of people. As you said, reasonably stupid.
As above, they don't have to bend over backward for them. The rule of law is only relevant when it has the ability to enforce it. The Triumvirate represent the government and are a good foil for Taylor public relations wise. If "justice" is done and Taylor is forced under their thumb to be 'taught' how to handle her powers, then many would consider this a victory. Three legends, heroes unparalleled who have stood for decades against the darkness and they're going to be this kids moral center? I'd sign off on it. As the PRT well knows good PR can be the life or deaht of you. In the courtroom its not about proving if she's innocent or not it's convincing the Jury and or the Judge that she is. That might be hard given the pants shitting terror that is involved with this case and perhaps even some anger vented towards her for those lost in the plane but if Taylor can sharpen her precog mojo she could feasibly come out of this with only mild or even very light punishments.

The DA doesn't have to win to make an impact. Even if they did win, mitigating circumstances would prevent the punishment from being too harsh. Federal interference, if nothing else. But it does send a message either way.
That kind of dick waving contest is why I hate politicians.

There is a class of parahumans where the system just doesn't work.

So what do they do now?
Treat them like a person, be just stern enough to to appeal to whatever morals they have and give them punishments that they can afford to waste time on while at the same time pushing them towards your other problems to fix them. Granted Taylor would be able to see this coming a mile away but this is kinda the best case scenario for her. Light punishment, some moderate oversight and the chance to save the world. Even if she's hated for killing a few hundred people while she was in her crazy bubble, the subsequent millions she saves from Endbringers and other S-class threats should be taken well into account.

It's easy to give Taylor an alt-power that breaks the setting. I want to show the pieces.
I can appreciate that. Putting down roots touched on Taylor as a force of nature but didn't really do much with it, oh there were hints that government policy was just "Pray. Pray and don't poke her too much." but it didn't go too much deeper than that.

I'm not a lawyer, what I've said so far is what I felt seemed reasonable as a defense of character and information that could swing the opinion of the judge and or the jurors to at the very least make things as light as possible, but if you want a few opinions then;

Since information is sparse between Taylor > PRT > DA. I'm not sure what to say on the logistics of the scene in question. I don't know lawyer lingo, I haven't spent years learning about it so anything I say could be completely wrong but I can take a crack at it.

First is this being taken at the state level or federal level? That's kind of important as state laws vary from state to state but federal is all encompassing and makes judgements on things that affect the country.

As for offense, defense etc.

I've said my piece on defense, give them the video, explain to them the unusual nature of the trigger event as well as the completely alien biology of Taylor and try to press as hard as possible on this being an unusually long trigger event backed by Tinkertech evidence.

Taylor, if she knew things were being recorded, could use precog and BS Eldar muscle control to fool lie detectors and cold readers but in initial interviews Taylor was still reeling from everything happening so fast. Tinkertech Lie detectors and cold reading parahumans should have been used since these are far more accurate than ours, especially since M/S protocols had been initiated to determine if she was lying or not. If you choose to go this route then this evidence could be brought forward and while not proof in it's own right it does paint Taylor in a sympathetic light.

Offense will likely push that the unusual length of Taylors stay in her bone-bubble and the continued use of her storms was something intended and malign. They'll push Taylor's grades at school, her attendance and testimony from other students on her character. These will all likely be negative thanks to the trio but Taylor can bring up that she was being bullied and she didn't push herself into the locker. Again, baseless evidence but Taylor's not trying to win innocence, she's trying to win sympathy.

With tinkertech being what it is, it's possible that equipment can be brought in while questioning people to have definitive evidence of truth, whether that is the case is up for debate because powers have changed things. Earth Bet USA's laws are not our USA laws, there's been 30 ish years parahumans changing things up enough that the legal system in Worm has probably changed rather drastically to handle all these new criminal cases. You could literally have the prosecutor quote precedent for whatever way you want to take things. It's a bit of author fiat but in court cases like this there's going to be a lot of that anyway since. 1.Not many writers are lawyers. 2. Of those not many are criminal lawyers. 3.Most court cases are long, boring slogs through red tape, dick waving and posturing, which don't make good chapters.

If anything dialogue should be done lightly, from Taylor's perspective having to keep up and things said in general terms rather than legalese.

At this point, if you cant get sympathy from the jury/judge then plea bargains are something you could try. I wouldn't recommend it because that goes the way of Canary and Taylor as an object of the justice system, where she gets carted off by Cauldron to make sure she doesn't waste her potential in a hole. Basically she becomes a villain by proxy and the Earth Bet Justice system shafts another potential hero.

Or, if you can wrangle some sympathy from the court, try to get her charges dropped down to something reasonable. Oversight is an obvious major point with one of the triumvirate or similar Protectorate head being her mentor, as is likely mandatory psychological evaluation and going to a number of classes to adjust her to fit the masses rather than just locking her up and throwing away the key. Community service would also be a major point in this.

I wouldn't know what she could do, I can't imagine them having her clean up roadsides in a jumpsuit so maybe providing her parahuman expertise to some community work like the boat graveyard? You could have her moving and or destroying the ships with the powers that says she has to make up for most of the damages. having a hefty fine on top of this drives home that the court is punishing her. Each by themselves is nothing special but having all at once is something courts can do if they are extending a measure of trust in Taylor to be a hero and that her situation is just an unfortunate side effect of her gaining her powers. The courts get to give out a punishment that clearly shows their displeasure with Taylor, the civilians get to see justice be done and their governmental system puts another imaginary notch in its belt while Taylor gets to be a hero... with quite a few downsides of course but at this point this is the absolute best thing that can happen.

As for her assault on Sophia. That.. hrm that could go to either Federal or State as Sophia was a government employee but was also a minor which gives her mother the right to file charges. This, I can only say is that self defense is about the best chance your going to get. "She was the person who forced me into the locker and has spent the last year and a half making my life miserable in a sustained bullying campaign. I felt that my life was threatened by her proximity and threatening posture so I defended myself and moved to leave the area where I felt threatened in." Is about as good a defense as Taylor can make. Otherwise she did attack Sophia, in broad daylight, in the middle of a cafeteria with no provocation.

The only way you're going to sell this is to out Sophia as Shadow stalker and make her seem like a monster which open up a huge ass can of worms for the PRT in the process.

Taylor's opinion on things can't be overlooked either. She IS a precog of absolute ludicrous power after all, her lawyer should know this and game the system hard. I doubt there's precedent for precogs using their powers to win over the court. And even if there was precedent, how would they tell and what are they going to do about it? Taylor can see far enough into the future that she could give her Lawyer a script to follow and probably get the jury singing kumbaya and the Judge dancing naked to this on his stand. It really very much so depends on how and where you want the story to go.

And thats about all I can think to add on the subject.

Hopefully not the realistic time said trial will take though. ;)

Yes let's keep out of the "months and months" timescale. Taylor's a precog and while maybe unable to shake the noose so to speak she can at least make sure that she has something under her feet so she doesn't break her neck.

At this point I am aware I was being unreasonable about dropping the case as the DA is ignorant of some of the information going into this so prosecution is a likely if somewhat futile event. She can, however, leverage the points I mentioned into her case. They should be brought up as defenses as they are some of the biggest indicators that Taylor's trigger is unique and that some things should be considered rather than lumping her into a generic mold and prosecuting her on established moors.

So railroading to stroke their ego's and make it seem like they're doing something important rather than leaving it to the "grownups" who actually can do what they say they can.

As you can probably tell I have a powerful hatred for unpowered people who think they "Know better" in a super powered setting. Not that I don't think some of them do know how to handle things right but that general "My point of view is more important than yours." attitude rubs my craw something fierce. Half of the problems in Worm were because people thought they "Knew better." Armsmaster, Piggot, Alexandria and Cauldron, Tagg, etc. They tried to force their opinions and domination on characters that really should have been handled by someone more sensitive to those characters needs. Off the top of my head so many parahumans could be bought with the carrot rather than beating them with it/the stick.

Lisa, pay her money to use her powers. Brian, help him with his sister. Rachel, actually defend her rather than railroad her. Etc. Even characters like Faultlines Crew could have been recruited in a limited sense if they were kept on retainer with a decent sized carrot to keep them from turning to crime. I know they shouldn't have to bend over backwards for them but treating these people like they're human and at the very least intelligent, rather than a bunch of degenerates and soldiers is a smart decision. Treating them like children and strong arming them is only gonna make them pissed at you and treat you like a necessary evil.

As above, they don't have to bend over backward for them. The rule of law is only relevant when it has the ability to enforce it. The Triumvirate represent the government and are a good foil for Taylor public relations wise. If "justice" is done and Taylor is forced under their thumb to be 'taught' how to handle her powers, then many would consider this a victory. Three legends, heroes unparalleled who have stood for decades against the darkness and they're going to be this kids moral center? I'd sign off on it. As the PRT well knows good PR can be the life or deaht of you. In the courtroom its not about proving if she's innocent or not it's convincing the Jury and or the Judge that she is. That might be hard given the pants shitting terror that is involved with this case and perhaps even some anger vented towards her for those lost in the plane but if Taylor can sharpen her precog mojo she could feasibly come out of this with only mild or even very light punishments.

That kind of dick waving contest is why I hate politicians.

Treat them like a person, be just stern enough to to appeal to whatever morals they have and give them punishments that they can afford to waste time on while at the same time pushing them towards your other problems to fix them. Granted Taylor would be able to see this coming a mile away but this is kinda the best case scenario for her. Light punishment, some moderate oversight and the chance to save the world. Even if she's hated for killing a few hundred people while she was in her crazy bubble, the subsequent millions she saves from Endbringers and other S-class threats should be taken well into account.

I can appreciate that. Putting down roots touched on Taylor as a force of nature but didn't really do much with it, oh there were hints that government policy was just "Pray. Pray and don't poke her too much." but it didn't go too much deeper than that.

I'm not a lawyer, what I've said so far is what I felt seemed reasonable as a defense of character and information that could swing the opinion of the judge and or the jurors to at the very least make things as light as possible, but if you want a few opinions then;

*snip Good Stuff*
As I have been recently informed on SB, this will be a federal trial, which will likely have ripples that spread over Canary's ongoing trial at that time. Department of Justice will be prosecuting the indictment for the downed aircraft, and other missing likely unrecoverable in a location hostile to life. Which means even more consequences if the PRT goes the route of throwing their weight around to close the case, and turns the entire thing even more political. Federal attorneys could be chosen by the Attorney General or the President. Separate charges for reckless endangerment and public unrest, Sophia.

The information gap would largely remain the same for the time being, as speculative ratings aren't really admissible in court. However, once they stop being speculative then its up to the feds for what to do about it. I like your suggestions, thank you.

And yes, Shaker WTF, Thinker Yes and Trump ??? are great ratings :p

Not sure how relevant, but I was under the impression Canary's railroading was at least partly (politically) motivated to push rogues into the Protectorate. Getting oversight over those that won't currently work for them. Not really as applicable as Taylor has already agreed to work with them in one way or another.

As for Shaker WTF, Thinker Yes and Trump ???, They would eventually at some point upgrade to Shaker WTF, Thinker Yes and Trump OMG.

"Gentlemen, have you got that list of code names to suggest?"
"Well... yes, though it's really only a few variations on 'oh shit,' 'it's her,' 'run,' or 'aaaaaa.'"
"... I find myself unable to disagree."

Last edited:
You know, this is one of the main problems of Worm fanfiction. Everytime someone tries to write a Wards!Taylor story, they end up highlighting just how badly the system is tilted towards villains.

It's a product of the story Wildbow wanted to tell. If there's nothing pushing people away from being heroes, practically everyone would at least start out attempting that path simply through the pressure of social expectations, unless they were already neck deep in a gang or other criminal activity.

Sorry to interrupt, but..
Less arguing, more updating! I badly want more chapters..
(sorry if I seem too demandING)

"Gentlemen, have you got that list of code names to suggest?"
"Well... yes, though it's really only a few variations on 'oh shit it's her,' 'run,' or 'aaaaaa.'"
"... I find myself unable to disagree."
makes me think of...
Monty Python and the Holy Grail said:
BEDEVERE: Oooohoohohooo!
LAUNCELOT: No, no. 'Aauuuuugh', at the back of the throat. Aauuugh.
BEDEVERE: N-- no. No, no, no, no. 'Oooooooh', in surprise and alarm.
LAUNCELOT: Oh, you mean sort of a 'aaaah'!
BEDEVERE: Yes, but I-- aaaaaah!
ARTHUR: Oooh!
GALAHAD: My God!
[dramatic chord]
[roar]
MAYNARD: It's the legendary Black Beast of Aaauugh!
[Black Beast of Aaauugh eats BROTHER MAYNARD]
BEDEVERE: That's it! That's it!
ARTHUR: Run away!
KNIGHTS: Run away!
[roar]
Run away! Run awaaay! Run awaaaaay!

It's a product of the story Wildbow wanted to tell. If there's nothing pushing people away from being heroes, practically everyone would at least start out attempting that path simply through the pressure of social expectations, unless they were already neck deep in a gang or other criminal activity.
Even in the mainstream comic universes, villains generally outnumber heroes.
Enough that major heroes have entire rogues galleries.
Methinks you underestimate just how self-interested people can get, social expectations or not.
Especially since in no universe do superpowers seem to select for sane, well-adjusted, drama-free individuals.

Methinks you underestimate just how self-interested people can get, social expectations or not.
Especially since in no universe do superpowers seem to select for sane, well-adjusted, drama-free individuals.
That's because there are a limited number of comic lines, but you want a lot of variety regarding what multicolor nut they're punching today. It's not really relevant to human nature.

Because here's the thing: superpowers would be worth a metric shitton of money. You want money? You're going to be able to get one from a company or a government. So why go to crime, when that usually pays shit, and has a high chance of dying horribly. Keep in mind that unlike in comics getting injured is actually really dangerous, and dying means you're dead. Doing crime works in the comics because they won't kill you if you're popular, not because it would actually work in real life.

in no universe do superpowers seem to select for sane, well-adjusted, drama-free individuals.
Yes, that's a product of the stories they want to tell. Now think about our our world, and assume a truly even distrobution of powers. Do you see random kid X discovering he can fly and shoot lasers with his eyes thinking "Bitchin'! I can go cut open the bank vault and fly away, and NONE SHALL STOP ME! MUAHAHAHAH!" or "Cooool... I can be a superhero!" even if they're kind of dickish and maybe occasionally do something they really shouldn't ought to?

Of course, how things actually go from there when they try is not apt to be so straightforward, even without laws of narrative causality or literary bias.

A scary thought might be that everyone on our earth is too sane to get super powers. I'd have trouble believing it with the multitudes of sick and crazy assholes out there, myself. That's why we call it fiction, and make it conform to dramatic rules like "lots of enemies for the protagonist to fight."

Last edited:

Any sane, well adjusted, drama-free individuals would find some kind of easy and legal way to pull a living out of superpowers. Super speed? Delivery service, anywhere in the world in an hour. Tinker-type? Power plants, robotics, ect. Blaster? Plenty of demolition or mining options. Thinker? Consultant, CEO, Researcher

Sadly, nobody with (natural) superpowers in Worm or any other superhero series is completely sane and un-traumatized. Not much entertainment to be had without some form of conflict. Not going to watch Jim-Bob the Super Janitor, who gets all his cleaning done in seconds with superpowers and then goes and spends the rest of his time with his kids just being a regular dude.

Not really sure where I was going with this. :???:

Last edited:
Mmm, I dunno. GURPS Supertemps has always been a strong contender for my favorite supers campaign.

Back cover excerpt:
When a pipe breaks, you call a plumber. When your roof leaks, you call a roofer. When your car breaks down, you get a mechanic. But what do you do when a gigantic lizard is destroying your high-rise in downtown New York?

Simple. Call Supertemps, the world's only metahuman employment agency!
Not everything is giant lizards, however - the front cover shows a strongman and someone chrome plated holding up a car and changing the tire, respectively.

... What brain damage? Her hyper emotionality? Otherwise, could someone clarify?

A 'good' tactic would be to just accept 400+ people as the broken egg to make the omelette of a strong teenage Thinker who can't be reasonably contained
Too bad Taylor can't just recover all those lost people from the warp... yeah that's not going to happen. They're all demon bait already even if the Warp itself wasn't so hostile to life itself.
"Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat" current series in Marvel Comics is about her starting a superpower temp agency for D-Lister supers, both villains and heroes.
That sounds interesting, but she's running an agency for heroes and villains? How odd.

"I need a hero and villain fight for our corporate party? Yeah I can do that. Hmm mhhh.. Yeah a 15 minute battle sounds good. Hour afterward for meet and greet and mingle sounds great. Thanks, I'll see them at seven pm!"

... What brain damage? Her hyper emotionality? Otherwise, could someone clarify?

Too bad Taylor can't just recover all those lost people from the warp... yeah that's not going to happen. They're all demon bait already even if the Warp itself wasn't so hostile to life itself.

That sounds interesting, but she's running an agency for heroes and villains? How odd.

"I need a hero and villain fight for our corporate party? Yeah I can do that. Hmm mhhh.. Yeah a 15 minute battle sounds good. Hour afterward for meet and greet and mingle sounds great. Thanks, I'll see them at seven pm!"
The Brain Damage is a reference to her Cornea Pollentia, which got wrecked to shit by her transformation into an Eldar. This was mentioned back in the Chapter with Panacea.
Where they went, they don't need eyes...

Yeah, it's less about finding them superhero work, and more about "Rather than using your Telekinetic powers to mug people, why not use your unique skills to get a job in construction and make 10 times what you are now?" There is even a bug controller whom she helps set up a Pest control agency, in order to get him out of a rent scam ring run by his father.

Back