Defiance Of Destiny (Worm/Disgaea)

Well, it's hardly the only badly done part of the classification system. Like lumping super-strength and superhuman durability under the Brute category despite how they have Striker and those two types of power require to entirely different responses.
That one I can at least somewhat get because 90% of the time, super strength and durability DO come together, while Striker tends to be "any touch range power".

Honestly, if I was making the system, I'd have it so it's modular.

Things like Striker and Shaker would be "adjectives" of sorts to let you know the vector of the power, while another category tells you what the power does, thus allowing you to tell the boots on the ground in 2 to 4 words what flavor of bullshit is coming their way in broad strokes.

Alright, just found this and am already loving it. Looking forward to what happens next.

As an aside. You may want to make a few informational threadmarks with a step by step breakdown of all the Disgaea systems and services in play here. There are a LOT and it can get confusing easily, so having something to zip to for checking over what the fuck the MC is rambling on about would be of use.

Hell, perhaps even a full primer on Disgaea as a setting if you feel up for it, since the wiki leaves a LOT to be desired.

...Okay, that makes zero fucking sense to me because Changer is right there for self-affecting changes and if need be you can say Breaker/Changer, but I'll cop to the canon take being "Breaker is self-only instead of a broad category for breaking physics".

Stupid as I feel that is.
It makes perfect sense when you consider that the system's a _threat_ classification, meaning that they're categorized according to the sort of response strategies needed rather than objective facets of their powers.

For Breakers, said responses boil down to, "try to get them when they're not in their super form."

I wonder, what will happen if we enter the Item World of a Tinker item, or... a Cauldron Vial? Will we be able to remove the deterioration of Tinker items? Could we influence what kind of power a Vial would give?

I wonder, what will happen if we enter the Item World of a Tinker item, or... a Cauldron Vial? Will we be able to remove the deterioration of Tinker items? Could we influence what kind of power a Vial would give?
To my awareness, Tinkertech works by essentially being a conduit for the Tinker's power, which fills in for the missing bits. The true deterioration is just the power starting to shut the tap on a timer unless maintenance is done, everything else is just window dressing.

Reproducible tinkertech works by having all the parts figured out enough and present that there is no gaps being filled in by a Shard.

Again Disgaea is going to be a strange mess and I love it. I wonder if we will get omakes with other great past Disgaea characters like Laharl or maybe Best Prinny Instructor Valvatorez.
This will be fun as long as the author has the time and energy to do it.

I have something important to ask the Author. How will you handle "Replaying Completed Stages?" Because logic says that shouldn't be possible in reality, but Disgaea plays by it's own logic and may very well cause the same type of foes to reappear in the same place, in the same situation. Or will the Dimension Guide have the encounter recorded and sends the player in a pocket dimension based on the encounter?

demon magic bullshit lets you replicate previous fights you have had for training and loot reasons, its not real but its also real but not real

How will you handle "Replaying Completed Stages?"
Or will the Dimension Guide have the encounter recorded and sends the player in a pocket dimension based on the encounter?
demon magic bullshit lets you replicate previous fights you have had for training and loot reasons, its not real but its also real but not real

I've not yet entirely settled on a specific explanation, tbh, because there are a lot of options.

At one point, I even considered actual time travel, because that's literally a canon thing that comes up in multiple games and is technically allowable under Worm physics, too.

Admittedly, that doesn't really explain how in the games your repeat fights don't necessarily use the exact same parameters as the first clear, though. Particularly, many of the games don't let you repeat boss kills, there's always some other stand-in unit that replaces them after the first time, usually to prevent you from farming the boss' gear.

Lately, though, I've been more inclined to do something like Zero G's suggested — in essence, you've got some function of the demon gate (and probably one the data record NPCs) that "records" fights, and then creates an item-world like simulation you can keep repeating.

Alternatively… I've considered just disallowing repeats unless I can figure out a way to make it humorous. Largely so that the story doesn't get bogged down in Gamer Syndrome where the readers spend 20 chapters reading about the cast grinding for stats.

I'm already going to need to find a way to avoid that as it is, though fortunately for those I have a ready-made solution through Netherworld Research & Item World Expeditions — with a few tweaks, they're an easy way to handle grinding happening in the background.

What's your policy on omakes for this story by the way? Are you good with them, can the authors of the omakes get threadmarked Into side story/apocrypha, there's a small omakes on page 2 that made me think of this that would make a good semi-canon sidestory

Well, you didn't really need that much grinding and power leveling until post game content.

Alternatively… I've considered just disallowing repeats unless I can figure out a way to make it humorous. Largely so that the story doesn't get bogged down in Gamer Syndrome where the readers spend 20 chapters reading about the cast grinding for stats.

I'm already going to need to find a way to avoid that as it is, though fortunately for those I have a ready-made solution through Netherworld Research & Item World Expeditions — with a few tweaks, they're an easy way to handle grinding happening in the background.
I'd advise doing teeny time skips, or ending a chapter at the start of a grinding session and starting the next chapter at the end or just before the boss fight. Treat it like a character getting up in the morning, only instead of skimming over brushing teeth, showering and drinking coffee, skim over them entering items worlds and coming out all scuffed up and talking about some noodle incident that happened or some Disgaea weirdness that Taylor still doesn't get.

We need it to be clear that Ashkari and Taylor are grinding, so their progression of power makes sense. There are other places for us to get fight scenes in this story, though. It'd be more interesting seeing them relaxing in Bet after a long grind and adjusting to their new levels of power. Bonus points if Lisa has been watching them and freaks out when her power tells her they are several times stronger than they were yesterday.

The question, of course, is whether Scion is 'endgame' or 'postgame'... (Mind you: you should grind either way. If you're not cheating, you're not trying hard enough.)

Alternatively… I've considered just disallowing repeats unless I can figure out a way to make it humorous
This is an easy solution.

From the redacted conversation with Ezekiel, Mana and the Game rules are an artificial creation of various super powerful beings. The ability to redo fights is part of those artificial rules. Just make it so there needs to be certain requirements for a fight to be repeatable, such as all combatants need to be mana powered for the fight to create a dimensional beacon for the dimensional gate to lock onto.

Earth Bet is in the outskirts of Mana Fueled Reality, so regular humans don't have enough mana to qualify. This also gives you the option for tinkers or new triggers to start using mana as time goes on and eventually fights become eligible to redo.

Easy solution here: just tell us they are grinding instead of showing it. And can easily do it in a funny way, like having the MC tell Taylor that no, they aren't redoing the fight with Shadow Stalker so she can beat the crap out of Sophia again. As much as show don't tell is cited as a rule for writing there are times where it is better to break it- and anything boring and repetitive, like grinding is by design, falls under that.

I mean by the same token not like your planning to write out every level of every item world fight they go into or something, right?

Are there any Instincts they will have that they will have to get used to? Since they aren't Human anymore and in that case doesn't operate under those same limitations

As much as show don't tell is cited as a rule for writing there are times where it is better to break it- and anything boring and repetitive, like grinding is by design, falls under that.
I think this is more a misunderstanding of the rule, than that there are times to break it. The rule is about painting a picture of things with the details, subtext, and such, not covering every little thing that happens. Breaking show, don't tell would be things like stating the emotion of a a character, instead of describing their voice and posture in a way that demonstrates that the person is angry.

Back