Defiance Of Destiny (Worm/Disgaea)

nice, i look forward to more chapters in the future

also i kinda wonder what is going through QA mind right now and the much more [DATA] she has just gotten, if of cause taylor is still connected to QA
The chapter establishes pretty explicitly that QA is disconnected. Because the reincarnation process yanks the soul out of the body, shoves it into a Prinny for a hot minute, then puts it in a new body.

As far as the shard is concerned, Taylor died.

Which means it'll need to find some other sucker to be it's host.
Yep. Maybe it'll go back to Danny, since if I recall it was initially trying to use him before migrating to Taylor. Unlikely, though, if I recall shards select based on precog analysis of the likelihood of someone triggering. Buds notwithstanding.

"Go to the police, you stupid woman," I quoted, facepalming while I muttered under my breath. "Why does nobody ever just go to the police?"
This was amazing. You absolutely got me, too.
Such a simple solution... in hindsight.
Maybe if I was lucky I could avoid anyone else showing up…?

"Oh, who am I kidding," I muttered to myself. "This is Disgaea and Worm. One's a hellhole of a world and the other's full of narrative tropes, and I'm not even sure which to call which…."
A match made in hell, clearly... :D

I've seen I think one of these crossovers and it's not only long dead but a little too much into the weirdness elements. This is looking MUCH better already.
Oh, and a word of advice: it's kind of rude to examine other people's stats, so you should probably do it all the time.
Wait, what?
Disgaea demons, everyone: if it was socially inappropriate, it was expected. I was going to have to make sure none of them wandered around Earth Bet unsupervised, wasn't I?
I've not played Disgaea but this makes a lot of sense all of a sudden.
+16 to every stat right now,l thanks to being pre-leveled
I think the "I" is a typo?
Live-action turn-based battle powers… GET!
I think we have a new class of bullshit other than tinkers now.
He hadn't even been told?!

No

No, she couldn't have... there's no way that woman could be that callous. Right? Right!?
I don't really have words. Yikes. She would, too. Or if not her, any number of the moles or Coil... possibly. You did say the gangs are marginally nicer here, but Coil would do that at least.

Out of story, that's a great way to try to do something while still leaving her on the table as a parahuman... for a few minutes apparently.

I do wonder what'll happen to QA. Can she somehow yoink the shard too? It did end up sorta friendly. In a very confused and alien way...
"…CouldImaybejoinyourteam?"
That is an option too. Convenient.
and I released it was so much punching, as it was unplugging and replugging something… in different places.
realized it wasn't so much
Class: Escalation Queen
Ooh. That. That I like.
Today's Forecast: Partly cloudy with a chance of BEEEEES!
Pfft. Snrk. That line is too upbeat for unleashing a Biblical swarm on someone.

I've not played Disgaea but this makes a lot of sense all of a sudden.
Yeah, to help put things into perspective: one of the games takes place in a Demon School, where the "Straight A students" are the ones that always cut class and get up to evil activities, whereas the "delinquents" would be the most polite people in the entire academy and always attend class.

Ot to put it simply: this is a society that idolizes being cartoonishly evil.

Yeah, to help put things into perspective: one of the games takes place in a Demon School, where the "Straight A students" are the ones that always cut class and get up to evil activities, whereas the "delinquents" would be the most polite people in the entire academy and always attend class.

There is a bit of nuance, though. Demons idolize being schoolyard bullies. Genuine monsters are rare and not looked kindly upon last I remember.

Although, of course, you have to remember that resurrection and perfect healing is available to everyone in demon society. So killing someone really only means they at worst end up in debt with the hospital, same for any sort of maiming.

not exactually, there are a number of characters that do canonically die its just most of the time you only ever see the bad guys die though some times the main character has a loved one die this is most prominant with the cast of disgaea 5 alliance of vengeance

that being said yeah a lot of characters in the series are the noble delinquent or a 80's character villain with exception of the few truly evil big bads

and then you have the demon god of destruction which usually is a post game final boss that is less of character and more a walking force entropy

not exactually, there are a number of characters that do canonically die its just most of the time you only ever see the bad guys die though some times the main character has a loved one die this is most prominant with the cast of disgaea 5 alliance of vengeance
I personally just patch that in my mind with "some stuff out there can annihilate a soul, other stuff can just dropkick it into the soul processing systems with no hope of fishing it back out". So under normal circumstances, death is a matter of losing money, but if someone's REALLY gunning for you then you can end up dead for real or stuck as a prinny thousands of worlds away.

that or them "dying" is basically kicking them into being reborn as some form of living creature like a human or alien or something and if they are extremely unlucky losing their memory and power and becoming a prinny

I know nothing about Disagea. But this is certainly fun and interesting.

(Also, thank you for having your MC actually try to prevent the locker incident. Letting people suffer for utility is the same horrible BS everyone hates Cauldron for. That and their incompetence.)

I think the "I" is a typo?
realized it wasn't so much

Fixed, thanks!

As an odd aside, something weird was up with trying to edit Chapter 7, not sure what. Safari crashed repeatedly trying to open the edit screen on that one, and I had to resort to switching browsers to get it to work.

If anything looks weird, formatting wise, let me know, because it means the browser switch & saving edits under different circumstance might've borked something. Shouldn't, but you never know.

By the by, if this is working off of some unholy combination of all Disgaea games, what units are unlocked from the get-go for hammering out new demons out of mana? Assuming you aren't going with 5's frankly boring change to just being recruitment of randos, but the core question remains

I'll answer these in reverse.

For the second, yeah, I'm afraid I'll be using Disgaea 5's explicit recruitment-from-elsewhere version. At least for Ash; from a technical perspective it's 'still possible', for powerful Overlords to do so, but not for her.

For one thing, recruitment is more 'canon' these days, but more importantly I couldn't figure out a good way to make narrative use of just manufacturing life out of nothing that didn't lead to massive problems down the line. It works for crackfics where lampshading isn't really necessary, but Worm is a setting where being able to whip up literal armies from nothing is a big no no.

Also has the issue of explaining how and why you can suddenly create entirely new species of monsters, or where they came from, has a lot of ethical implications and questions, and a whole bunch of other issues. So rather than deal with that, I figured I'd stick with the more comedic side that Disgaea 5 introduced. Trashcan Pete's 'original' name in chapter 2 being literally 'Insert Name' was an extension of that, as that's actually one of the namelist results you can get if you press the button for a random name.

As for the first question… I don't actually have a solid answer, but there's actually a somewhat buried/hidden page on the wiki that lists all the available starting classes for each game, and so I've leaned towards just allowing most any class that's available at the start of any game.

Also i kinda wonder what is going through QA mind right now and the much more [DATA] she has just gotten, if of cause taylor is still connected to

Not much, really. Beyond what others pointed out, there's already been a bit of foreshadowing regarding the shards, if you put the pieces together and think about it, and the chapter that got cut from the rewrite is still technically more or less canon, albeit that reveal is to be put off til later in the story (see: author notes on my snippet thread) and hints quite heavily as to what's going on.

There is a bit of nuance, though. Demons idolize being schoolyard bullies. Genuine monsters are rare and not looked kindly upon last I remember.

"Cartoonishly evil schoolyard bullying" is definitely the way to look at it. There's a lot of slapstick and lampshading of real-world consequences, and truly monstrous killers are actually pretty rare.

So killing someone really only means they at worst end up in debt with the hospital, same for any sort of maiming.
not exactly, there are a number of characters that do canonically die
that or them "dying" is basically kicking them into being reborn as some form of living creature like a human or alien or something and if they are extremely unlucky losing their memory and power and becoming a prinny

So, the subject of what actually happens to characters who 'die' in combat is really vague in Disgaea. There are a lot of examples of where people get blown up by bombs or huge explosions and are fine… and plenty where they aren't, too.

Think the whole Final Fantasy 7 memes of "Why did they not just use a Phoenix Down on Aerith?" and "You know a Soft would fix Red 13 right up, yeah?!"

It's the result of a disconnect between game mechanics and actual lore, and the lore itself is kinda all over the place in this case too.

Take Disgaea 5's Marjorita, vs Disgaea 3's Raspberyl.

We see a fight with the former where the formers victim's very much do die, brutally — and get permanently turned into zombies afterwards. Hell, she kills and Usalia's parents just to be a bitch to her and force her to kill them.

But we also see a fight with Raspberyl, where the victims there get the shit kicked out them but are all entirely okay afterwards — she was just KOing them, because she wanted 'volunteers' for a blood drive and they weren't cooperating, and the party was just misunderstanding or something.

Meanwhile, it's implied in a couple places that Prinnies actually die when they explode from being thrown, and the hospital is actually sewing them new bodies. (With, ofc, no explanation of what happens to other party members when they die.)

And yet the fight mechanics are all the same for all 3 cases.

This kind of variance is, incidentally, where Ash took her "I'm gonna think really hard about not killing them" from in Stage 1-1, and why she doesn't trust the Prinnies enough to bring them yet — it's precisely because the games are very inconsistent that she wasn't sure how or if she could control that.

There's a lot more to the question than that as well, including what happens to demons who do die — I could go on at length about it for some time, complete with examples and counter examples, in all honestly — but the long and short of it was that I decided it's a lot easier to play up the comedy and slapstick elements of Disgaea if I take the stance that combatants actually have some influence over how 'real' combat is, as a means of tying together why things are so inconsistent.

Last edited:
does that mean we will get to see some really really stupid super moves like crushing the solar system, making black holes that eat the galaxy and even the big bang that destorys the unvierse only for it all to return to normal

god i love how dumb yet awesome those supers are

OH GOD i just thought of taylor unlocking to grow to bigger then earth then rapidly punching the planet till it explodes and then cut back to the enemy being knocked out and the planet and everything else being perfectly fine XD

does that mean we will get to see some really really stupid super moves like crushing the solar system, making black holes that eat the galaxy and even the big bang that destorys the unvierse only for it all to return to normal
It would make sense. I mean, people in the Disgaea universe figured out how to jump inside items and punch the monsters that live inside to make the items better. It would be weird if they didn't figure out how to cause huge amounts of destruction without actually destroying any of their stuff.

Plus, I love the idea of an Overlord manifesting a pocket dimension during a fight so they can throw castle-destroying spells at people without actually destroying their own castle.

OH GOD i just thought of taylor unlocking to grow to bigger then earth then rapidly punching the planet till it explodes and then cut back to the enemy being knocked out and the planet and everything else being perfectly fine XD
...Man these games are weird. That is certainly a thing that I just read!

The PRT would just call it a hostile master rating, though. What else would describe such a "vision"?

Her combat more is already going to make a lot of people very concerned. I mean, she holds people in place for somewhat "fair" turn-based combat (against a cape, so YMMV) and they look "killed" even when not, so there is a hallucination component too.

That's at least more sensible than her presence warping reality so it's actually turn-based. Unfortunately for the PRT, her powers aren't limited by "sensible."

Disgaea 5's explicit recruitment-from-elsewhere version.
I admit literally spawning sprites from nowhere is funny, but this is a good move if she instead pulls them from the other underworlds.

Considering that the Disgaea hells are apparently important for life and that Worm now has an afterlife, I'd think she'd be somewhat relieved to actually have a connection to them than some power just kinda emulating for her that with varying degrees of ethics. Of course, now she may have to deal with main characters possibly visiting, so that could be a balancing factor. :p

For one thing, recruitment is more 'canon' these days, but more importantly I couldn't figure out a good way to make narrative use of just manufacturing life out of nothing that didn't lead to massive problems down the line. It works for crackfics where lampshading isn't really necessary, but Worm is a setting where being able to whip up literal armies from nothing is a big no no.
If I were in your shoes I'd be on that like white on rice. Because there's just so much you can do with the concept. We know they at least come out fully functional as combatants, but how much personhood they start out with and if they can develop more is up in the air, same with how much implanted knowledge beyond how to do their class' job they get. Then there's the further factor that you're making them out of the spare spiritual essence you ransacked out of someone you defeated (whether that means knock out or kill, depending on your takes on how things work). The master-apprentice system only adds another layer to this.

There's just a whole lot you can do with this from a storytelling perspective. Because the character has to face down some BIG quandaries regarding the whole system and how they'll approach it.

But hey, if you don't want to deal with that, completely valid. Different strokes for different folks.

...Man these games are weird. That is certainly a thing that I just read!

The PRT would just call it a hostile master rating, though. What else would describe such a "vision"?

Her combat more is already going to make a lot of people very concerned. I mean, she holds people in place for somewhat "fair" turn-based combat (against a cape, so YMMV) and they look "killed" even when not, so there is a hallucination component too.

That's at least more sensible than her presence warping reality so it's actually turn-based. Unfortunately for the PRT, her powers aren't limited by "sensible."

thats not even going over the fact some attacks out right vaporise peoples, the PRT and PHO are going to be so confused

oh man i wonder how shards will handle it, some might glitch out because its real but its not real but its real but its not real but its real with a infinite feed back loop

also side note for those unfamiliar with disgaea here are the supers from disgaea 5

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpYQ8BUgUDE&ab_channel=VoxelStar

and they look "killed" even when not, so there is a hallucination component too.
I'd argue that, after some investigation, all of this would be ruled as a Breaker effect. Why? Because the "killed" enemies poof out until the effect is over, which causes them to reappear. They aren't invisible, they're gone to some sort of pocket space.

Lmao. Look up Labrynth. Shaker/Breakers that reshape the entire area are known.

Last edited:
Shaker because it's an AOE.

Edit. And Labrynth doesn't have a Breaker rating
Fair on Labrynth. But for the Disgaea stuff it would definitely be Shaker/Breaker, since it's breaking how physics work in an area. These are threat ratings, Shaker on its own will make you assume a hostile effect like the floor is lava, Shaker/Breaker you immediately understand shit's about to get weird in the area of influence.

Fair on Labrynth. But for the Disgaea stuff it would definitely be Shaker/Breaker, since it's breaking how physics work in an area. These are threat ratings, Shaker on its own will make you assume a hostile effect like the floor is lava, Shaker/Breaker you immediately understand shit's about to get weird in the area of influence.
Breaker is only for powers that alter the users body.

Altering physics or reality is pure Shaker.

You're thinking of Changer
No I'm not:
worm.fandom.com

Breaker

Breaker is one of the twelve power classifications created by the PRT still in modern day use. Breakers have the ability to alter themselves to a different state in which they maintain different abilities, although Breakers with permanently altered states also exist. Nearly all powers have some...
worm.fandom.com

Power Classifications

Power Classifications and the accompanying number ratings are used by the PRT to quickly identify parahuman threats and strategize accordingly, although the system is used in non-American countries as well, including capes in India. Each classification is matched with a number indicating...

...Okay, that makes zero fucking sense to me because Changer is right there for self-affecting changes and if need be you can say Breaker/Changer, but I'll cop to the canon take being "Breaker is self-only instead of a broad category for breaking physics".

Stupid as I feel that is.

...Okay, that makes zero fucking sense to me because Changer is right there for self-affecting changes and if need be you can say Breaker/Changer, but I'll cop to the canon take being "Breaker is self-only instead of a broad category for breaking physics".

Stupid as I feel that is.
Well, it's hardly the only badly done part of the classification system. Like lumping super-strength and superhuman durability under the Brute category despite how they have Striker and those two types of power require to entirely different responses.

Back