(D&D 5e) Darkness Rising (Full)

It's a shame thunderstones didn't make it to 5e. Otherwise - flashbangs, anyone? :p

I don't see landmines on the standard adventuring gear table. Please gimme! :D
Glyphs of Warding could fill a similar roll.
As you can determine their trigger, "is stepped on" is a valid cause of detonation.

Too bad you can't cast it on a slate or something and plant those as landmines, as the spell breaks if you move the object.

It's a shame thunderstones didn't make it to 5e. Otherwise - flashbangs, anyone? :p

Glyphs of Warding could fill a similar roll.
As you can determine their trigger, "is stepped on" is a valid cause of detonation.

Too bad you can't cast it on a slate or something and plant those as landmines, as the spell breaks if you move the object.

You can slightly bury the slate then cast the Glyphys on it. Same thing different order.

You can slightly bury the slate then cast the Glyphys on it. Same thing different order.
That's true, but the casting time of one hour really makes it a time consuming activity if you want to plant a few mines down.

I've been looking at shadow monk/warlock2 builds. Those could be fun - a cloud of darkness with you at the centre. Enemies get disadvantage, you get advantage from the eldritch secret that gives you sight through all darkness.
Throw in some rogue for sneak attack as well and things get nice.

@Vagabond422

Sindri would like to watch Molly pour the ale in case of drink tampering, not that he actually suspects anything. Just a habit from the spy days.
Thought I'd make a roll though on the off chance it turns up anything.

Lerissa is pleased with her lie, and technically it's even the truth, she just decided to not say the things that might get her thrown in jail. :D

She is after all researching things, and in need of income. So what if there's also a being that tells her what to do for questionable goals?

You actually went for it?

Quiz was fishing for information. Information is his game.

Two questions!

First, based on my knowedge of the arcane, would I know if she casts magic like a Wizard would?

Second, How much is she downplaying this?

I'll likely need rolls to be done but I'll only have time after I'm finished at work.

You actually went for it?

Quiz was fishing for information. Information is his game.

Two questions!

First, based on my knowedge of the arcane, would I know if she casts magic like a Wizard would?

Second, How much is she downplaying this?

I'll likely need rolls to be done but I'll only have time after I'm finished at work.
Well, the only time she cast any spells was against Shion as she tried to escape, Quiz was busy with Crag at the time and did not see her cast any spells. So to the best of his knowledge he has no reason to think she doesn't cast like a wizard. She has an arcane focus, and has the air of the arcane around her.

As for down playing it, @loneangel can roll deceive and you MrGazzer can roll insight and we see whose is higher. Otherwise I would say it's Leri's passive deceive vs. Quiz's passive insight (if he's not actively looking for falsehood. If he is then it is a contested check.)

I did not actually claim to be a wizard, just for the record.
True, but you heavily implied it.

My logic goes as such.

Wizards take on appriences to train them to be Wizards.

A Wizard can't teach a Sorcerer. All their magic is instinct and force of will. They cannot learn spells like a Wizard can. They just know them.

A Wizard can't teach a Worlock either, their power is gained from their Patron sort of shoving power into them in exchange for service. They also just sort of Have Magic.

Therefore, as a former wizard's apprentice, you're most likely a wizard.

Quiz is trying to confirm that.

The boy likes having more information on other people then they have on him.

Blimey that took a while, sorry about that. I should pick up pace once this last Uni assignment is done and dusted.

Anyway, Sindri was trying to be a bit of a social chameleon and charm Molly with a silver tongue to try and get the information he wants:
Although since he is just playing a role, it could count as a deception, so I rolled that as well if you want to use it instead:

In the end though both are just checks that are just trying to get her to like him more.

And lastly, I thought that a sleight of hand or dex check would be needed to perform that little coin trick, in case he manages to bugger it up:

Well, the only time she cast any spells was against Shion as she tried to escape, Quiz was busy with Crag at the time and did not see her cast any spells. So to the best of his knowledge he has no reason to think she doesn't cast like a wizard. She has an arcane focus, and has the air of the arcane around her.

As for down playing it, @loneangel can roll deceive and you MrGazzer can roll insight and we see whose is higher. Otherwise I would say it's Leri's passive deceive vs. Quiz's passive insight (if he's not actively looking for falsehood. If he is then it is a contested check.)
Valerian wouldn't be actively looking for falsehoods, but considering he thinks Leri is a Drow sorceress from Lisu and his passive Insight is 15 would anything seem out of place? Just want to know if my preconceptions will change. (He hasn't seen her cast any magic directly either.)

Rolling for deception.

A funny thing is that i didn't mean to imply that she was a wizard and didn't notice it until it was pointed out.

Edit: 19+5=24
loneangel threw 1 20-faced dice. Reason: Deception +5 Total: 19
19 19

Last edited:
Because Almira's all about knowing things, might as well have her roll.
Insight: 8+5+1=14

Nah son, she's more focused on this lamb.
Mechanical threw 1 20-faced dice. Reason: Insight Total: 8
8 8
Mechanical threw 1 4-faced dice. Reason: Guidance Total: 1
1 1

The Bandit and the Cleic
To tide us over while MrGazzer copy-pastes the rest of the Emperor has no clothes: the story of how Almira found the Baron's hall.

The Cleric and the Bandit

The night had crept in to the library from the desert like sand through an hourglass. It flowed across shelves of tomes and gathered around the semi-circle of firelight, recoiling and advancing as the flames flickered and danced.

Two figures were illuminated by the fire. One was tall, elvish - her skin was pale, almost ethereal, with sharp eyes and elegantly done hair. A child sat on her lap, dark-skinned and haired - perhaps eight or so years of age. The woman had one hand extended, palm up, and the image of a scorpion rested on it. The chitin legs rustled as the scorpion walked in place, and the deadly stinger extended. The child looked at it with the fearless curiousity of the young.
"One day," the woman began. Her voice was soft and melodious. "A scorpion wished to cross a river. The river was deep and fast; it knew it would drown, should it try to cross. On the other side of the river was a frog, who regarded the scorpion with fear, but knew it was safe this side of the river. Scorpions preyed on frogs, if they could - one sting from its tail would paralyse the frog and spell its doom."
The woman held up her other hand, and a frog appeared on it - warty and green. It croaked at the child and made her smile.
"'Hello!' Called the scorpion across the waters to the frog. 'Could you carry me across on your back?'
The frog looked at the scorpion with great suspicion.
'How do I know you won't sting me as soon as I come across?' The frog demanded.
'Why, then I'd never be able to cross the river,' the scorpion responded.
'How about while I carry you across?'
'Do you believe me so keen to drown?' The scorpion replied.
'Well, what about once I've carried you across?' The frog asked.
'Then you would have performed me a great service - and I'd be hardly like to reward such kindness with punishment.'"

---

Sar was dying. It was pretty easy to tell, what with her having to hold her guts in with her hands. She'd sure picked the wrong target to rob, huh. Big Jack was real dead, with his head being over there without being on his neck, and Vic was in a pool of about all his blood.

Slowly, a sound came to her ears. Footsteps. Someone was walking up the road. She rolled her head and a blurry figure came in to sight. They were dressed real funny, and the twilight hid their face black as pitch.
"Wh- what you lookin' at?" Sar managed to wheeze.
"أنت تؤذي! لا تتحرك!" The figure gasped, and hurried over. She was a foreigner, in weird armor and dark skin. A golden tattoo glinted in the dusk on her face.
The woman knelt and gentle hands tried to prise her own away from her spilled guts, and Sar thrashed, knocking the woman on to her behind.
"H-hold still! I am healing thee!" The woman exclaimed. She muttered some words and made a gesture before gently placing a hand on Sar's chest.
The feeling of her intestines slithering back inside her body was one that Sar would always hold as the most unpleasant sensation of a hard and unkind life.

---

The illusion of the frog leap from the hand of the goddess and began to swim across the space between the hands.
"Convinced, the frog swam across, and began to ferry the scorpion across on its back. Half way across, however, it felt a sharp sting.
'You fool!' The frog cried. 'Now we'll both die! Why have you done this?'"

---

Sar learned a good bit about the woman who had saved her life. Namely, her name was Almira, she had no friends or allies, she was lost like only the gods knew, and she was perhaps the most naive creature Sar had ever met. She didn't even seem to realise Sar was a bandit, and had shown no caution when Sar had recovered the heavy cleaver she used in her robberies.
She was rich, too - richer than Sar, by any rate. Almira had offered her some gold if 'thou art in troubles. A few coins is little enough.' She spoke weird, too. Like a person from an old story.
She'd built a fire and offered Sar food before turning in. Too bad for her. Rich and dumb wasn't a good combination. Soon enough it'd be poor and dead.
The bandit waited until she was certain the cleric was asleep before standing. She retrieved the heavy manchopper and stood above Almira, lifting the blade. It'd only take one hit.

---

"The scorpion merely laughed.
'It's just my nature.'"

---

Sar was told the cleric was awake by the slight gasp of surprise. The sun was peaking over the horizon, and the fire Sar was building from last night's ashes was almost ready to begin cooking breakfast.
"Yer wanted the way to the Baron's palace, didn't yer?"
Almira merely nodded as she sat up, rubbing at her eyes tiredly.
"You gotta go east. That way, past Farbridge. Maybe 'alf a days travel."
Sar slapped some strips of horsemeat on a flat rock and pushed it next to the fire to cook. They ate in silence. Sar kicked soil over the ashes of the fire while Almira packed her stuff.
"Dost thou wish to come with me?" The cleric offered, guileless, and was startled when Sar barked out a heavy laugh.
"Nah, nah." Sar shook her head. "I gotta bury my mates anywa- no, yer don't need ter 'elp. See yer around, 'Mira."
She retrieved her cleaver from where the blade had buried itself in the soil, a foot from the sleeping cleric. She waved over her shoulder as she left. She stopped and grinned, turning.
"An' watch yerself, 'Mira! Not everyone's nice as me!"
She laughed as she departed, leaving behind a mildly confused cleric.
Almira looked after the leaving bandit for a moment, then an expression of determination settled on her features. She tightened the straps on her backpack, and set off towards her destination.

@Mechanical One question you never gave us a description of Ser. Do you leave that up to me? You have given me the most dangerous thing ever, a person in your past. So many things I can do with that.

Back