Watchers
Recent readers

Welcome to the Catalogue Thread~
Status
Not open for further replies.
Preface

Vocalend

A Dangerous Beast, A Perpetually Fumbling QM
Good day, ladies and gentlebeings of SV.

On this weekend, I will be unveiling a project as a capstone to my time in the Council, short as it was.

For the past six years and counting, Sufficient Velocity has run along on being a creative forum and for the past five, I've made the Quest subforum a home away from home where I go and seek out the latest of the creative works offered by the QMs and their Quests. And it is a rather unfortunate truth to say but indeed, a great number of these Quests end up abandoned and dead for a multitude of reasons.

Except for these. Through six years, numerous QMs inevitably managed to close their Quests in a neat resolution. Through the years, these Quests have managed to reach the rather lofty heights of being considered 'complete'.

And then, that's that. Due to the nature of the forums, newer Quests quickly covered these completed Quests and they would rarely been seen again by readers- save for former participants rereading these gems.

Well, no more I think.

After checking its feasibility with fellow Council members and the Staff of SV - notably @Broken Base and @Admiral Skippy - I decided to launch this project. One to collate and list the numerous Completed Quests over the years. And to enlist the help of these accomplished QMs to give their aid to the project in the form of synopses and optional commentaries.

It's not a perfect list. There are assuredly other Quests that I've missed. There too, are Quests where the QMs are unable to be contacted - either from busy-ness or having left SV over the years for numerous reasons - that I feel unable to give a synopsis of my own.

But what is here is surprisingly substantial still.

So without further ado, welcome to the Completed Quest Catalogue. A project I launch from Quests, by Quest Masters, and to SV.

Enjoy.

The Catalogue
Original Completed Quests
A Catgirl's Last Chance for for High School Romance
Synopsis:
A Catgirl's Last Chance for High School Romance is a manga/anime inspired quest about a young woman having her queer awakening in her last year of high school. There's humor, pathos, and what I hope is a satisfying conclusion to the struggles that mark the main character's last year of high school. Please enjoy it!

Author's Notes:
This is my first quest on SV and the only one I've finished so far. It's also a work that I am very proud of! It has a slow, somewhat stumbling start that's a bit silly but really digs into queer identity and the struggle of coming to terms with those identities. Stuff that I think is relatable to anyone, not just LGBTQI+ people. I really hope that you enjoy it and leave your thoughts in the thread or in a PM. I love hearing feedback from readers, it's my lifeblood!
A Day of Madness [Mini-Quest, Complete] Original - Fantasy
Synopsis:
In the middle of the forest, there is a cosy and warm hut. You have spent many a night reading, and many a day exploring the surrounding parts of the forest.
Though even at night, the call of the old woods is oh so alluring.
A Day of Water
Synopsis: When your parents insisted you go on a vacation for once and even pay for your travels, you chose Scotland as your goal.
As the usual tourist spots proof far too buy for your liking, you instead visit the small island of Sauthey, barely inhabited and mostly just known to birdwatchers. Those who do live there hold on to old traditions, and their midsummer celebration is about to start.

Author's Notes: This quest was a bit of an experiment inspired by tabletop RPGs. The voting time was short and the chapters tiny.
Thanks to one of my IRL players voting, I got it rolling and other people joined in. Participation remained limited, but I got some positive feedback afterwards and may try this again in the future (possibly with slightly longer voting time and chapters).
Originally I aimed to finish the whole quest in a day (thus the name), but that didn't quite work out.
A Hedge Maze is You
Synopsis: In the beginning, this is the story of the new-born god of a hedge maze, trying to repair his home and secure it against intruders. Before long, he becomes involved in an epic war between gods and demons, spanning thousands of years and multiple continents. Little by little, he tries to make the world a better place: to defy the demons; give hope to the despairing; and heal those who have been badly hurt, whoever they may be.

Author's Note: This is probably my most notorious work, something which I have rather mixed feelings about. On the one hand, it is a dazzling mélange of ideas and concepts which I am continuing to develop and draw upon in my later quests even now; on the other, I wrote this quest while I was suffering from severe depression and, in a way, it accurately reflects my mental state at the time. I poured my heart and soul into this quest and sometimes it gets ridiculously dark. I tried to handle some very unpleasant topics tactfully and sensitively, but now that I look back on it, I wonder why I felt the need to handle them at all.
A Night So Deep-(A Supernatural Alt-History Quest Set in the Balkans)
Synopsis: The Glory of the Roman Empire shall be reignited! From these humble beginnings, the fire has been lit!
(Alternate History) The Second Sino-Japanese War Alt. History
Synopsis:
A quest set in 1910s Japan, where you battle the armies Yuan Shikai and his Chinese Empire. You, as General Hirano Saburou, must now deal with a precarious situation in Japan. The nationalists are threatening to plunge the nation into a fascist dictatorship, and an equally precarious situation is unfolding on the border, where you attempt to hold off the Chinese forces intending to overthrow the Emperor of Korea and install their own.
B16nary Original - Art Quest
Synopsis: A mysterious god-like entity grants sentience to masses of data. Nations rise and fall as directed by the whims of the players. Go on a journey of experimentation and discovery as young B1naries who will change the structure of the Internet.
B16nary Original - Art Quest
Though B1naries are immortal and have existed since the beginning of time, it is the first time...
B16nary R3coded (B16nary Original - Art Quest)
Synopsis: An alternate universe quest set within the world of Tam Lin's B16nary Original - Art Quest. In B16nary R3coded you will play as a B16nary that has achieved sentience in a blank section of Cyberspace. It will be up to you to develop Cyberspace, as well as the b16nary that inhabit it.
Behind Closed Bars Original - Archive - Art Quest
Synopsis: A completed quest ran on another website. Behind Closed Bars is a short quest about a bouncer managing the issues of being short staffed on a busy night.
Catalyst Quest: Light Sentence
Synopsis: The year is 606, and in your home— the country of Corcaea— the souls of mankind belong to demons.

A phenomenon known as the "Catalyst" is what's to blame. This diabolical phenomenon lurks within every man, woman, and child. It can turn any human into a demon, if they fall prey to one, all-consuming element. It can be anything. Fear. Grief. Generosity. Even love.

In a land where Gods are real and Corcaea's theocracy is the last hope for mankind, you follow in the footsteps of Father Richard Anscham: a troubled young priest, the leader of the Church of Mercy, and the foremost researcher of the Catalyst. Protect one of the last bastions of humanity from an enemy within. Search for the cure. Conquer your personal demons.

Author's Note: After nearly two years of questing on another site, I took my first plunge into SV with Light Sentence. The structure of this massive epic is similar to series like "Harry Potter," where each book is a separate entity, and stands on their own despite being part of the same world as previous installments. I took great pains to try and make the story as accessible to new readers as possible— not only in the opening posts, but in every post!

Now, adjusting to the substantially slower pacing on SV (compared to what I was used to writing) led to substantial build up at the start of the thread. Since then, those chapters have been separated into an Interlude, under the "Side Stories" tab. These 11 chapters of growing pains might be endearing for some readers, but if all of that history isn't up your alley, I recommend that you just read through the main threadmarks. Light Sentence is still quite beefy, and you won't find the thread lacking in written, drawn, or musical content. There is also a rhythm to the events quite early on, thanks to a really satisfying structure to the MC's schedule that I was unable to employ in any other book up to this point! The rest of Light Sentence is an absolute rollercoaster, and truly is the climax of events in this series' capital city.

It is of the utmost importance to me to provide a memorable and engaging experience for all of my readers and voters. There is a perceived high barrier to entry for Catalyst Quest, which in combination with being an original quest with a slow start, extremely high stakes, permanent consequences for actions, a glut of mature subjects dealt with, and a very bizarre anti-hero, leads to it having very modest user participation. This all is intentional, however. Not only does this enable me to truly look at every single vote and make EVERY single write-in matter, but looking past appearances is the name of the game in a story all about overcoming personal demons. I hope you give this quest a try, and have just as much fun reading it as I had writing it!
Catalyst Quest: Wild Growth
Synopsis: The year is 606, and in your home— the country of Corcaea— the souls of mankind belong to demons.

A phenomenon known as the "Catalyst" is what's to blame. This diabolical phenomenon lurks within every man, woman, and child. It can turn any human into a demon, if they fall prey to one, all-consuming element. It can be anything. Fear. Grief. Generosity. Even love.

In a land where Gods are real and Corcaea's theocracy is the last hope for mankind, you follow in the footsteps of Father Richard Anscham: a troubled young priest, the leader of the Church of Mercy, and the foremost researcher of the Catalyst. Do more than simply survive in the forests of your home. Search for the cure. Conquer your personal demons.

Author's Note: This remains my favorite "book" in all of Catalyst Quest. The structure of this massive epic is similar to series like "Harry Potter," where each "book" is a separate entity, and stands on their own despite being part of the same world as previous installments.

We start the story with a new party composition, and launch right into a series of misadventures in demon-infested wilderness. These serial events all tie into one another, and the forward momentum of the party is like a wrecking ball as they carve their way towards their time-stressed destination, which is inconveniently on the other side of the nation. The hits just do not stop coming, as each village and location visited in this quest has its own, self-contained, incredibly insane misadventure.

A large quantity of the events in this quest were inspired by night terrors that I have had. There are ample content warnings, and mature themes are a constant throughout all of my quests, but this one really leaned into the horror elements. It was important to me to explore these concepts and themes with the readers, and to try and find (as always) what this content meant to them. I also really took every measure I could to try and make the character-based horror as understandable for new readers as possible, while dialing into the fears of long-time readers and voters, too.

It's not just thanks to the AMAZING voters and write-ins we received that this book was so memorable! I put my heart and soul into the art and writing for this thread, having gotten far more comfortable with running on SV thanks to Light Sentence, and I feel that this is absolutely my strongest work in terms of pacing and structure. It really can't be said enough how much work I put into trying to make these quests as accessible for new readers as I can. There are some kinks in the nitty gritty of the writing, as I've been hard at work writing daily for nearly a year since Wild Growth, but I am still enormously pleased with the quest's setting, characters, and all of the stakes that were raised during its run. I hope you enjoy!
Catalyst Quest: Death Defiant and Catalyst Quest: Panacea

In a land where Gods are real and Corcaea's theocracy is the last hope for mankind, you follow in the footsteps of Father Richard Anscham: a troubled young priest, the leader of the Church of Mercy, and the foremost researcher of the Catalyst. Find your lost family. Learn to heal. Search for the cure. Conquer your personal demons.

Author's Note: These two quests have been merged into one thread, as the location that they are set in is essentially the same, but the core cast dramatically changes, and the story arcs of each one are VERY distinct. In short, the structure of this massive epic is similar to series like "Harry Potter," where each book is a separate entity, and stands on their own despite being part of the same world as previous installments.

Despite being a mystery first and foremost, Death Defiant has a blistering pace once it gets going. Stick through the first 10 chapters or so, which is a slow burn intentionally. The cast is MASSIVE and the introduction to the key players also introduces the main elements of the mystery, the setting, the main characters, and a ton of fun shit that I wouldn't want to spoil. It's also jam-packed with original art, hand-picked music, and a LOT of action once the ball gets rolling! The climax is utterly insane, and I still can't believe that I went through with how things panned out, but I wouldn't change any of it for the world.

It's difficult to talk about Catalyst Quest: Panacea without major spoilers for Death Defiant, so I'm going to keep this brief! It is the most relaxed and comfy thread in the entirety of Catalyst Quest. The incredibly well-deserved, chill, borderline slice-of-life style of writing that I took with this book is a love-it-or-hate-it kind of thing. Long-time readers DESPERATELY needed this lengthy reprieve, which does not skimp on important details. A colossal amount of lore and character development rests in this quest, as well as many incredibly wholesome moments for characters who rarely have a second to breathe. If you enjoy some peace, quiet, and a lot lighter tone, this is the thread for you!

Catalyst Quest will continue from here, though I am currently on a hiatus to work on my video game that is based off of the first book of the first quest in the series. I believe that the ending to Panacea was incredibly satisfying, and have received a lot of praise from the readers and voters who stuck it through to the end, as well as from many who just dropped in to see what the chaos was about in the last few chapters. I absolutely applaud you if you take the time to enjoy these monsters of threads, thank you so much for taking the time to read this author's note, and I hope you enjoy!
Colony in the Outer Rim
Synopsis:
Greetings, commander! Through pluck, luck, skill and connections, you have a mandate to rule a star system! This is a great responsibility, so do not take it lightly. Indeed, it will be a hard struggle, as you will have to face all sorts of opponents with a minimum of support and infrastructure. But fear not, you should be well equipped to handle these tasks. You have not been sent without supporting resources, after all. And there's always the rest of your nation, should you need real help.

QM Commentary: Pending
Dawn of Worlds
Synopsis:
A world of high fantasy and godly intrigue, Dawn of Worlds follows the creation of a unique fantasy world and its journey across thousands of years of history. As the Gods struggle among themselves, a far greater threat lurks hidden from view.

QM Commentary:
Everything really came together for this quest, the free time on my part, the creative and stable player base, it really helped bring this one to a close. It was inspired by the tabletop RPG of the same name, Dawn of Worlds, with some fairly significant homebrew modifications on my end to try and make it forum post friendly and allow new players to continue to jump in once the game had started. It was a great experience and my only regret is that I have yet to do a sequel set in the world the players built.
Dungeon Mapper Quest [COMPLETE] Original - Fantasy
Synopsis: You are a Mapper. Obey the order, complete the task, and come back alive with the information, so that the Imperial Army can go in and clear out the dungeon properly.
Even Further Beyond
Synopsis - The world is beset. Its governing empire crumbles under banditry, chaos and misrule. The Divinities send forth one of their own to be reborn as Heroine, who shall cleanse the empires of corruption and bring forth a new golden age. To maintain the cosmic balance, you are elevated as the Overlord who opposes her - an inexperienced challenger little better than a sacrifice, whose powers are vast yet all-but-doomed to fail before hers. The consequences of defeat are annihilation at best, so you have no choice but to do your utmost...

Commentary - EFB was an enjoyable quest to run. I recommend reading up to the Spirit Cocaine scene if deciding whether it's right for you. The unique personality of the protagonist necessitated unorthodox strategies from the player base, and the convivial cast of allies and enemies was very fun to write.
Forge of Destiny
Synopsis:
Enter a world of cultivation. A place where mysticism and the supernatural are a fundamental part of life. Through meditation, exercise and manipulation of energies, people of this world gain power far surpassing any mortal, but which yet brings its own limitations. Join a young girl just entering a Sect, a place of learning and training, where they will seek to navigate friends, enemies, and the dangers of a stratified society.
Here is a world where beasts who may lay waste to towns and cities walk the wild, and the aristocratic hierarchy is enforced by the weight of raw personal power in addition to wealth and status. Can you guide your disciple to not only survive, but thrive?

Commentary:
This quest has been a hell of a journey. I started it as my first quest on SV, thinking it would probably go the way of older quests and end up abandoned, but here I am years later, still writing the sequel and adapting it into other formats. In many ways, I have to put that success on the community I developed around it, and the patreon funding that kept me on track even when I was having a hard time.

Forge is in many ways, the culmination of a lot of my efforts. The setting is one originally developed for tabletop games years ago, developed and tweaked for many projects. It's main strength is not worldbuilding or plot however. It is characters. I have always read fiction more out a desire to see characters interact than to see them save the world or do important things. This is probably the main reason I fell into fanfiction circles. Forge then is an expression of that. It has been criticized as meandering or slow paced, and that is a fair cop. However, if you want to follow these characters lives, I think you'll find yourself pulled in.

That said, there are some definite flaws with the quest. The system involved too much dicerolling for combat, and this often choked action scenes, making them feel mechanical and floaty. There are points where the pacing just leaves it going nowhere, and the vagaries of quest votings left a lot of loose threads and undeveloped antagonists. This has improved in edited formats I think, but it is something to keep in mind when reading.
In any case, I hope to see you as a new reader! Come and join us in guiding Ling Qi through this crazy world.
Grandpa Dace's Quest for a Stable Family
Synopsis: In an era where long-forgotten Evils are resurfacing, the world needs Heroes to answer the call of Fate. Sadly, or not, a single pebble is enough to cause an avalanche strong enough to deviate the river's flow, and take History in an entirely different direction.
Buuuuut that's not really your concern here. No, you're an old, bitter man in quest of recognition and prestige for your family!
You just have to find a family that doesn't want to kill you first.
Commentary - QM's first work, Mistakes were made, on both sides, but ultimately, nothing happened that wasn't a consequence of the players' will.
Libra's Lament
Synopsis: The advent of magic heralded the end of society as we know it, for Earth burned in war as is human nature. From the ashes, remnants of humanity rise once more to return the world into a proper place to live. Magical Girls, the pinnacle of human magical prowess, are blamed for the war's devastation and hunted; yet their powers can also be salvation, and a pair of twins sets out to help guide the world into a brighter future.

-Comments: This one is an older work and my first real introduction to Quest-writing. It has some hiccups and bad decisions, it is more of a slow burn at the start as I take the time to set up a changed world and the people in it, but I feel it ended up well. The Quest as a whole was inspired by "Crystalwatcher's Magical Girl Quest" and uses the same mechanics, but is neither canon-compliant nor in need of reading the other one to be understood.
Magna Graecia (Founding, Victory's Children, Titanomachia)
Synopsis: The year is 490 BCE. Fleeing from the sack of their city by Darius I of the great Persian Empire, the Hellenic citizens of Eretria settled in a new land, the southeast corner of Pre-Roman Italy. Over dozens of turns, covering a period reaching to the beginning of the Peloponnesian War, players guide a democratic city state through the trials and tribulations of their dangerous new land. With a unique citizen roleplay system and a commitment to detail and historical accuracy, Magna Graecia is an effort to bring to light the vanished world of the Classical Mediterranean.

Author's Note: Magna Graecia was one of the biggest projects I've ever done and something I spent a lot of effort and love on. Partly entertainment and partly educational, I made an amateur but spirited effort to combine the mechanics of questing with a real commitment to in-character roleplay as citizens of a democratic ancient Greek city state. I have made an effort not to hold back in terms of the portrayal of the time in both positive and negative aspects, and to encourage players to post and argue as if they were really there - to imagine themselves amidst the assembly field, shouting and debating, in a time and place that has long since been swallowed by time.

I think the result is something that anyone with an interest in history, or even just in an interesting empire-builder narrative, can enjoy. Start from the beginning of the first quest and work your way through, and be mindful of the timeskip between the second and third iterations which takes us to the beginning of the clash of the titans - the Peloponnesian War between Athens and Sparta.
Mercenary Company Quest
Synopsis: Kalirea has a long and interesting history, stretching back for thousands of years with some of the more educated claiming that tens of thousands of years is more accurate. For your part, it matters little as you live in the present and your concerns are of the now, the recent past and the immediate future.

You are a soldier of fortune, a sellsword, a hireling or more simply, a mercenary. A mercenary captain to be precise as rather than working solo or under someone else. Your company isn't going to be much to start with, but in times like these, there is plenty of money to be made by fighting for coin and if you play your cards right, you could end up with plenty of riches and glory.
My Brother's Too Good For You Skanks! Go Away!
Synopsis: You are in a harem anime but you are not the protagonist, a villain, or even a contender. No you are the very irate older sibling looking to stop this madness before it can begin. No one pervs on your lil bro! No one!
Paths of Civilization
Synopsis: Paths of Civilization follows a tribe from their settling down to begin agriculture to their peak as an iron age empire. Enjoy the ups and downs and adventures of the Ymaryn people!

Commentary: This one taught a lot of lessons to me as a QM on managing information. Some have said that it got away from me, and it did, but much later in the game than most people assume. The biggest problem at the end was that the systems intended to simulate the complexity of an iron age state for the players became too complex for me to run either. Also, what the players would get upset about still baffles me to this day.
Peril's Origin
Synopsis: Adelheid Schmeling is a peculiar girl; headstrong, feisty, contrarian, willful. In a world where the human warmachine extends beyond Earth, marching side by side with Fairies and Elves and Angels against the legions of Hell and their allies in eternal war, she lived as a normal teenager. That is, until the day she awakens the power of Magical Girl Defiance, the one who defies the laws that govern magic itself. With power no mortal should have, time opens to her and a journey into the past begins, the past of this dreadful war.

-Comments: My playerbase, small as it was, seems to have enjoyed the run and the story as a whole. I am plenty happy with this project, even if some parts may still be rough around the edges. I got some people telling me that they can not read it because the protagonist empathises with members of the "evil" faction; something which I understand and find weird at the same time, as this matter is one I spend a lot of time playing with throughout the story. While being a complete and independent story of its own, Peril's Origin also serves as a backstory to the main conflict of "Crystalwatcher's Magical Girl Quest", exploring several of the various groups involved as well as the history and legends of it all. Knowledge of said Quest is not needed to understand this one, neither is it in any way connected to Libra's Lament.
Petals of Titanium
Synopsis: Ensign Amani North is a scans officer on the bridge of the small space warship, the HIMS Titanium Rose, serving in the navy of the losing side of a disastrous civil war that killed millions and fractured an empire that once spanned the entirety of human-inhabited space. What's left of the United Solar Empire has spent the past decade in exile among the moons of Saturn. Now, they face invasion from the civil war's ruthless victors, who have crossed the vast gulf of space to Saturn in order to extinguish the last traces of the old order.

Amani helps to keep the Titanium Rose afloat throughout the ensuing conflict, only able to provide passive scan data as daring mecha pilots put their lives on the line to keep the ship safe. Along the way, she discovers victory and defeat, love and heartbreak, and a past family tragedy come back to haunt her.

While Petals of Titanium describes a fantastical situation, it is nonetheless a story about war. It contains scenes of intense violence and death, warcrimes, descriptions of child abuse, and allusions to a sexual assault in one character's backstory.

Commentary: Petals of Titanium essentially began life as the idea of running a quest telling a mecha anime-inspired story from the perspective of a "bridge bunny", and the idea of having voters choose negative consequences after battles to induce a feeling that something is always lost, even when you win. This second one, in combination with me putting a lot of effort into character writing, on one hand made the topic fairly popular. However, there were definitely also those it rubbed the wrong way, or for whom it went strongly against their expectations in a negative sense, and this gave the topic a reputation for being very dark and depressing. I personally think that this reputation is quite overblown by the standards of the mecha genre, and that reading through it as a finished work is a much less stressful experience than participating in it at the time was for some people.
PmWiki | LeftBeyond / LeftBeyond
Catalogue Notes: Based on Judeo Christian lore.
Riot Regiment
Synopsis: Fight, for Carlyte and Crown! Fight, for honor and glory! Fight, for survival and pension!

Author's Note:
Riot Regiment ended up short, but I'm proud for tying it off before I entirely faded on it. It was interesting to see a number of quests taking inspiration from it, leading to fad for the Riot Quest format that sadly lasted about as long as the original did. I started Riot Regiment as a vent for what I disliked about the quest format, and as an experiment with the format to try resolving them. Not long after, I stopped following quests almost entirely, having grown too frustrated with the flaws of the format to be able to invest in any more quests to my satisfaction. Still, I made my mark on the quest community, small as it was, and I earned myself a spot this list. Riot Regiment is a feather in my cap and one I'll remember.
To Struggle and Strive: The Combined Syndicates of America in 1932. A Kaiserreich Quest Historic
Synopsis: You are the head of the Socialist Party of America and the Combined Syndicates of America. The year is 1932. You have just lost a five-way presidential election that ended up thrown to the House, with the incumbent Hoover winning. And this is not acceptable. The workers of America suffer, and the world races towards confrontation. You must act.
The Practice War
Synopsis:
When humanity uncovered the Secret to exploring the stars, a mysterious race known only as the Shiplords attacked us. They burned Mars, abducted billions, and left a set of strict Directives with harsh penalties.

Now, forty years later, we find that the Shiplords will return within the decade to extract a Tribute.

But humanity was granted a gift: the power of Practice, an unexplained ability to go beyond the apparent limits of reality. You are Amanda Hawk, newly elected president of an Earth that has spent the last forty years rebuilding, and one of the Potentials that wield the power of Practice. Can you lead humanity into the future? Can you save your people from the Shiplords?

Author's Note:
Practice War was my first quest. It was also my first real foray into solo creative writing on SV, and despite the many trials that came with it, I'm very content in the story that my questbase helped me tell. It's a world that has suffered great pain, yet also one that has risen past those things. In many ways, the humanity of that world represents to me the best that humanity could be, from my limited perspective, at least.

I like to joke sometimes that if the writing of Practice War was a quest, it would be one where the questers chose Hard Mode, but there's a truth beneath that. Practice War is a totally original setting, and I was a relative unknown within SV when I started it. It also didn't fall easily into many of the more established genres of the forum. And yet, eventually, it thrived. I learnt a great deal from running it, too, and I've got a truly wonderful community to thank for staying with me all the way through to the end. I also have to give personal thanks to my technical support group for helping me ground the world in science, to the point that the entire quest could take place in our reality.

That said, if you're not a fan of management quests yet would still like to give this a go? I'd suggested read the interludes until about Turn 8. I was incredibly new to the quest narrative style, and it wasn't until about then that I started to get a grasp on how to blend them into a narrative style. And after Turn 14, the entire quest shifts to a more narrative based structure. Management aspects are still there, but reduced; and this has been continued into the quest's sequel 'The Secrets' Crusade'.

So if you're curious, drop by. There are quite a few things I could have done better in telling this story, of course, but in the final analysis I'm very happy with it.
Sorry, Your Time-Traveling Privileges Have Been Revoked Original
Synopsis: You are a time traveller. That is to say, you were a time traveller. Now, you are out of time.
The Tinpot Princess and Her Many Travels
Summary:
Due to time travel shenanigans, this is both a sequel and a prequel to A Hedge Maze Is You. It tells the story of Elys Allardyne, princess of a tiny island which is only large enough for a few hundred people to live on, as well as her parents, her best friend, and her uncle (who is both a dragon and a god). Despite the title, Elys only ever travels to a few places, but she meets a large cast of heroes and villains, gods and monsters, and many other peculiar creatures along the way, including a hipster demon who fancies himself as her archnemesis. It's a story about telling stories, about growing up, about being good to your friends and thrashing the bad guys. Also, Uncle Mishrak has a vast horde of treasure and he's susceptible to fluttered eyelashes and a pleading tone, so it's easy to get whatever you want out of him!

Author's Notes:
I very much enjoyed writing this quest, I love the cast of characters which I created for it, and some of my favourite scenes which I've ever written are part of it. However, I'm not blind to its faults. For almost all of the quest's runtime, Elys was only a little girl. This was problematic in a number of ways: partly because I struggled to write realistic dialogue for a young child, and partly because it resulted in a rather inconsistent tone. This quest inherited a lot of darkness from A Hedge Maze Is You, but most of the story centres around a little girl hanging out with her best friend, playing daft games and listening to bedtime stories. Also, this quest was originally intended to be epic in scope and tell the story of Elys' entire life, but it only ended up getting as far as when she was sent off to boarding school, aged eleven. Still, there is a possibility that she may return and her adventures may continue in one of my more recent quests, School of Sorcery. Look forward to that!
untitled maid quest Original
Synopsis:
Down on your luck and searching for employment for far too long after getting fired yet again, you take the first opportunity open to you… and end up working as a maid. You can't say you're too excited about it, but hey, it'll pay your bills, right? Sure, the job description sounded a bit sketchy, and your friends and family tried to talk you out of it but… no one else would take you. So, you had no other choice.

At least you could hope that nothing could go wrong this time, right?

…Right???
Villanious Grunt Captain Quest
Synopsis: Fantasy land, a realm of magic, castles, paladins, princesses, and budget Zerg. As the name implies, instead of playing on the side of goodness and nobility, this Quest was based on the concept of a constant march to the sea, an unjust invasion with risk of turnaround not as an overlord or grunt but a midboss of sorts. Difficult enough to defeat the heroes' chicanery, more complicated still when it turns out there's a conspiracy in the shadows trying to play both sides...

Comments: I let the RNG guide me on this one, and it led to some interesting places! The players genuinely faced death or defeat a couple of times, which made it more satisfying when they ended up winning against all comers and imposed harsh imperialist treaties on their enemies.
I did specify Villainous in the title, after all.
Media-Derivative Completed Quests
A Heretek on the Quest for Knowledge [WH40K]
Synopsis:
You are Lychinus Iracundia, the greatest Techpriest this side of Mars, and the other side as well once you get around to gracing it with your presence. You are about to set out with the Explorator fleet to rediscover lost secrets, as is right and proper as a Magos Explorator. Being stationed on the shittiest little rustbucket of the fleet with all most incompetent idiots (even adjusting for what passes as 'normal' around here) is less ideal, but not unusual. Just, why did they send you a bloody Genetor to make Lascannons?!

Author's Note:
Looking back on it, I am... content with how it went. Lychinus and the other characters were a joy, and generally well received. My goal for a steady update rate was mostly met which is more than I expected. And I can still read it and laugh about the joke. I've made mistakes, in handling the plot (and specifically one section of the game) and the system, but it was always intended as a learning experience, so I suppose it fullfilled its purpose at least halfway. It remains to be seen if I actually learned something :V .
AI Quest [NGE]
Synopsis: The tale of a 1940's era AI trying his best to save the world.... in Evangelion.... this seems like it could be difficult.
Alchemist Quest [FMA]
Synopsis: You are the Shock Alchemist a military veteran and soldier of Fort Briggs up at the Northern border. You'd thought you'd long seen it all, but events that are about to transpire will be more than you've ever seen... or wanted to see.
Anderson Quest [Hellsing Abridged X Bloodborne]
SUMMARY: The rich worldbuilding and intricate storytelling of FROM Software's cosmic horror masterpiece attempt to withstand an indestructible Catholic zealot and his arbitrary number of pointy objects. A tale of bad language, grievous bodily harm, poor urban planning, and friendship.

COMMENTARY: Genuinely some of the most fun I've had online thanks to a passionate and creative readership. It's incredible what this website's users can accomplish with a protagonist durable enough to be hurled towards obstacles at sufficient velocity.
Battletech - Mercenaries Sci-Fi [Battletech]
The story, told mostly through battle reports, of a battlemech mercenary company operating throughout the Inner Sphere from the tail end of the Succession Wars.
Beast of the Earth [Sailor Moon]
Synopsis: You are a giant monster in a magical girl setting, something tells you this has the potential to end very badly for you but such is life. Just because you might have some narrative disadvantage doesn't mean your going to stop being a giant monster after all.

Author's Note: This is my first quest so it's going to have some early installment weirdness. It was the first quest I ever finish up so its also the lowest in terms to just base quality.
Be The Dragon [Golden Treasure]
Synopsis:
You are an egg. A seed. A new Draak-Kin life yet to bloom, a lord of the world, who will one day breathe fire and rule from the sky above. Rejoice and sing your beautiful and terrible music! With fang and claw you are destined for Greatness. When you hatch, the whole world will await you. There will be many things to see and do and eat and learn, and many dangers to be faced. Your first year in the world may seem like an eternity, but your story shall grow to fill it, for you are my child. Of this I am certain. May you be blessed.

Author's Note:
I feel I made several mistakes in this quest. Perhaps even 'many' mistakes. I changed the way I was writing it at least twice during the quest, but in the end I think the alien perspective, trying to make up the inner thoughts of a strange being, and sorta-spirituality of it all was beautiful. The quest concludes after a young dragon's first year of life, as they enter their first hibernation, having survived and grown considerably. It seemed like a good stopping point. I may continue it one day.
Blood, Sweat, and Tears (WH40k Design Bureau) Sci-Fi [Warhammer 40k]
Synopsis: Design, construct, and lead the forces of Humanity in a bid to retake the lost Lativa Subsector.
Burden of the Emerald Empire (A Legend of the Five Rings Tale) Fantasy [Legend of the Five Rings]
This is the tale of the Emerald Empire a mystic land of Samurai and Heroes, of villains and demons, and the struggle of one man to rule it all.
Cat-Ra: A Tale of Emotional Instability and Poor Decisions [She-Ra And the Princesses of Power]
Synopsis: Our protagonist is CATRA, a senior cadet in the Horde. Raised by the wicked SHADOW WEAVER, Catra bears many emotional scars from a lifetime of abuse psychological and occasionally physical abuse. Fortunately, she count on the support of ADORA, her best and only friend. However, events will soon conspire to tear these two dear friends apart. It's up to us to decide whether Catra rises from the ashes and triumphs over her own past, or falls into madness and self-destruction.
Confringentur, a PMMM/Fate Quest and Communication Crossover [PMMM X Communication]
Synopsis:
"Akemi Homura's constant resetting of the clock has done more than just add to the karmic weight of Kaname Madoka's soul. It has upset the very balance of the World itself. As the World's best man for the job, the heroic spirit EMIYA is once again tasked with being the Archer servant of a teenage girl meddling in forces far beyond her comprehension, in the hope that this repetition will be the last.

If only things were that easy. Archer's presence in the timeline has caused its own unforeseen ripples, and now the unwilling pair must learn to work together to defeat new enemies, gain the trust of new allies, and maybe, just maybe, find a way to fix themselves in the process. This is going to be a most unusual timeline indeed."
Don't Shoot, We're Republican! [Kancolle]
Synopsis:
Most Shipgirls have a storied history or great deeds to their names. William D. Porter is mostly known for almost killing the President, and now that she's on her second lease on life, misfortune and disaster are sure to follow. Watch as the most infamous USN DD of WW2 tries to make a name for herself amid the chaos that is the Abyssal War.

Commentary:
Honestly, this quest started off as a joke. Much like the Kancolle anime itself, it lacked a coherent direction for most of its run, vacillating from tragic to comedic, finally landing on a heroic finale. If I'd had a more solid plan, perhaps this Quest could have been more, but I'm not sorry that I tried.
Dungeon Keeper Quest[Dungeon Keeper x Dungeon Keeper Ami
Summary: A Dungeon Keeper quest that took a lot of its world building from a crossover story called Dungeon Keeper Ami. Contains a villainous protagonist as they go from a keeper slowly building up her powerbase and eventually taking over the land from the 'good people'.

QM Notes: The one quest I've done that I would consider as a completed quest of all my attempts was my first quest.
Catalogue Notes: Was first part of cancelled trilogy.
Embers in the Dusk [WH40K]
Synopsis:
In the 45th millennium as the Imperium breathes its last, countless threats to humanity arise. Chaos swells to ever greater heights, the Eldar plot salvation and destruction, the Necrons wake from their long slumber and the Tyranids main fleet approaches the galaxy. Fredrick Rotbart, First Governor of the newly colonised Deathworld of Avernus can take comfort in the fact that no matter how dangerous the galaxy gets, Avernus is worse.

Commentary:
Embers in the Dusk is a civilization quest where the players take control over a newly founded Deathworld in the final years of the Imperium. Watch as they build humanity on Avernus, to ever greater heights, even as they discover more about the most lethal world in the galaxy. Mostly focused on the world of Avernus, but as the quest progresses sector wide and galactic events start to occur. This quest has a large amount of player participation with countless omakes, many of which are integrated into the main quest.
Fate: A Father Above the Grail Crossover [Fate x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha]
After the 4th War for the Holy Grail ended in disaster, Kiritsugu tries to settle down in Fuyuki for working retirement... He's on a clock to live, but hopefully he can set Shirou on the right path, destroy the Holy Grail, and save Illya before he dies, right?

Right?!
Fate/Blackened Sugar Fantasy - Modern[FATE]
Synopsis: You are a disgraced loser of the previous War but you aim to overcome the trials of this Liar's Grail War. With your Ninja sidekick (Servant) by your side, embark on a journey of murder, murder and more murder!

This is Fate/Blackened Sugar
Catalogue Notes: Sequel to Fate/White Parmesan
Fate/Hollow Fake [Nasuverse]
Synopsis: Barista and recent high school graduate Tamiko Kurosawa thought synchronising shifts with her best friend Yuko and figuring out what she wanted to do with her life were the worst problems on her plate. But one fateful afternoon the two of them are drawn into a war unlike anything they've ever known, and the deeper they delve into this hidden world they find themselves in the stranger yet more familiar it becomes.

Forward: This is a project from a long time ago. Almost six years, and hell if that's not a lot to put in perspective. A whole lot's changed since then - interest in Fate waxed and waned, moved multiple times, learned new things about myself, kept on writing and improving - and it's the first instinct of any writer to look back on their old work and cringe. Believe me there's plenty of things I'd change about Hollow Fake in hindsight, though the only one that truly bothers me is failing to make Enkidu nonbinary for obvious reasons. But there's plenty I think I'm still proud of, and most of all I'm proud of bringing everything together for an ending that left most readers and myself satisfied. If there's anything about my writing you enjoy, you'll probably find the seeds of it in here. And if you choose to read this old thing, or any of my work, then thank you.
Fate / Stained Inheritance [Fate]
Synopsis: You are Mimi Yagami; A waste of a girl who has spent her entire life locked away beneath the Clock Tower.
Now you are free, escaping into the fires of a Grail War on London's streets.

And you're never going back.
Fate/White Parmesan [Nasuverse]
Synopsis: You're an amnesiac underqualified, underprepared and underpowered to fight in a no holds barred Grail War. Oh and your Servant is Queen Medb, resident man-eater. Embark on a journey of friendship, murder and crime fighting!

Commentary: It started as a joke. Then a question. And then an entire Grail War was fought because of that. It's my most popular quest thus far, enough that people fought over it. It's a thing I guess.
Gundam: Titan Rising (No SV, the Universal Century is trying to kill you...) Sci-Fi [Gundam]
Synopsis:
Join a cast of truly unremarkable and insane people as they try to carve a nation in space...and between the Space Pirates, Corrupt Government Officials, Zeon, the very notion of the very colony you live in killing you, Gundams and CHAR!! They have there work cut out for them.

Join us and leave notions of Good Men at the door, Its the Universal Century...good men don't last long.

Prove them all wrong.
Henryk Quest [Hellsing (The Dawn) Abridged X Bloodborne]
Synopsis:
In Henryk Quest, a Hellsing: the Dawn/Bloodborne crossover spun off from the thrilling Anderson Quest, the oldest living Hunter in Yharnam is transported by the rising Blood Moon to war-torn Warsaw, 1944. As Old Hunter Henryk struggles to survive a three-way war between Nazis, Polish Partisans, and the shambling undead, he must grapple with hard questions...

...questions like "Why is everyone so angry at these Nazis?", "Why are these vampire hunters so bloody insane?", and "Why does everyone keep comparing my outfit to a banana?"

Author's Note:
As my first Quest on SV, Henryk Quest was an effort that was passionate, pretentious, creative and railroady in equal portions. For all the times I stumbled, I learned a lot from this Quest and managed to bring it to a decent conclusion, thanks in no small part to a civil and supportive player base. Thanks for taking part, guys, and thank you, Tricia, for giving me the go-ahead to do this spin-off!
I'm Protecting Who Now? [Rosario Vampire]
Synopsis: Tsukune Aono is a boy who stands out only in that he possess exactly no qualities that stand out, and he is being sent to a school of monsters trying to learn how to hide among humans. Good thing he has a protector from the start this time around.

Author's Note: This was my second 'major' quest and I'm pretty sure its the one I had both the longest regular updates and the fastest update pace form, I've slowed down a bit since than but even if it's an older quest I can't help but look back it fondly for those reasons.
In it for the Glory! (A Power Rangers Villain quest) [Power Rangers]
Instead of being a megalomaniac who want's to conquer Earth, you're a megalomaniac who wants to be immortalized as someone who took down the Power Rangers.
In the Name of Love and Hatred! [PMMM / LoR] [Complete] Crossover [PMMM X Library of Ruina]
Synopsis: Unwittingly, the Magical Girl of Love arrives in the city of Mitakihara; fallen, torn from her greatest battle against a friend. Within her heart rests a spark of true light; a moment of change, eternal in amber. The hope for a better tomorrow, carried into another realm plagued by monsters both mystical and mundane. But whether she becomes heroine or villain to the people is yet to be seen. After all, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. [Puella Magi Madoka Magica / Library of Ruina]
In Thunder's Echo [Legend of the Five Rings]
Synopsis: In the aftermath of the Second Day of Thunder, a young samurai of the Scorpion Clan accompanies his superiors to winter court. Politics, intrigue, tragic romance and the schemes of face-stealing assassins await him.

Commentary: My second ever quest, and one that still holds a fond place in my heart years later. There are a lot of things I would do differently if I ran the quest today - less adherence to rpg mechanics in plot critical scenes, for example, and considerably more forethought about what ended up a fraught but highly dramatic ending - but it's still a pretty successful work and one that I'm broadly happy with.
Kansas City Shuffle [Changeling: The Lost]
Synopsis: Rose, a newly freed Changeling, having escaped from a cruel and wicked Fae, finds herself in Thousand Trods, the Changeling community of Kansas City Missouri. This Rose Knight, buffeted by politics in this powerful location, must struggle to find her place in the world. Even as she tries--and deals with the emotional dangers of life--schemes are being hatched, plots to destroy Thousand Trods and all the resistence to the Fae it stands for.

Comments: This was my first Quest, and was a little bit slow and uneven in pace. But a lot of people liked it, and it's the only Quest I've ever completely finished. So it's a complete experience, even with its flaws, just waiting for new readers to check out without worrying about falling behind. Changeling: The Lost is one of my favorite settings, and so I can't regret the Quest at all. Please enjoy.
Keyblader Apprentice Quest [Kingdom Hearts]
Synopsis: You are a fair from the darkness covered city of Midnight Town studying under the enigmatic master Yen Sid. The Darkness is strong but your melody is unwavering, and with it you will lead the way to light, this is your solemn promise!
Kirby Quest [Kirby X PMMM]
Synopsis: You are Kirby in Madoka Magica.... that is all.

Author's Note: Aaaaah I just like writing for Kirby I think thats probably the big reason I was able to see this quest right up to its end.
Living at the DWMA [Soul Eater]
Synopsis: Evil Human, witches, and other assorted horrors these things are just some of the threats to the world. You are but one of many being trained to face down these threats.... You really hope you make the grade.
Megara's Massive Journey [Rosario Vampire X Mass Effect]
Synopsis: A spin off to 'I'm protecting who now?' everyone's favorite Hydra leans that biological immortality can lead to some... interesting situations when you spend too long out of the game.
Meow Quest [PMMM]
Synopsis:
Her name is Amy Percival Venticus Akemi, but you can her Homura for short! Enter the Puella Magi Madoka Magica universe as the adorable kitten Amy, who is also Homura, as she grapples with the hardest task a cat can be asked to do. Focus. If she can't, everyone she loves will die, again! And Best Cat can't let that happen!

Commentary:
Meow Quest was really my only major quest that I ended in a way that I had intended to all along. Although I was flying by the seat of my pants most of the time, it somehow all came together, despite being random and crazy half the time. But hey, all the more like a cat, right? As my only quest to earn its own TV Tropes page, I am very proud of what I've created.
Now You Feel Like Number None [Bleach Arrancar Quest] Users' Choice! [Number None]
You live in a world of endless night.

You are a monster born out of a legend. When a mortal...
Catalogue Notes: One of the few User's Choice Quests and one of my personal favorite - Wind-Up Citrus
Of Noble Purpose [Bleach]
Synopsis: One hundred years ago, Yoruichi Shihoin betrayed her duty, her family and her faith to flee into exile in the company of monsters and those who made them. Close to a century later, Kotone Shihoin graduates from the Spiritual Arts Academy, determined to cleanse the stain of dishonour from her family name and one day claim revenge upon her wayward cousin for all the pain she caused. This is a Bleach Quest following Kotone's career and adventures, as she seeks to earn the power and status necessary to attain her long-desired revenge while also fulfilling her duty to both her comrades and her family.

Commentary: I wrote this quest in large part as a 'spiritual sequel' to We Stand in Awe, which was wildly popular but also written in a very improvised fashion, with limited pre-planning and only the most basic of overall structure. Of Noble Purpose was written as a work in the same setting, using the same basic mechanics and the same general focus (following a rank and file member of the Gotei Thirteen throughout her career) but with much more focus put on characterisation, overall narrative structure and self-contained plot arcs. I made some missteps near the end, primarily breaking up the team of four shinigami that had been the central viewpoint figures for the entire quest run without any real plans in place for how to replace them, but overall I'm still very pleased with the quest and the story I told with it. Particular credit should be given to everyone who wrote omakes and side-stories for the narrative, many of which I canonised and added to the threadmarked index.
Of Wolves And Witches [WHF]
Synopsis: Of Wolves and Witches is the story of Erika Kurtsdottir, a journeywoman of the Bright Order and devout follower of Ulric, god of wolves and battle. Follow her as she travels across the Empire in search of fame, coin, magical mastery and the company of beautiful women. This is a warhammer quest focusing on a graduate of the Imperial Colleges of Magic.

Commentary: This quest was started in large part as an experiment and self-imposed challenge; Erika as a character is rather different from the sorts of people I usually write, and her romantic pursuits in particular were something I wanted more practice writing. In that regard, I think of the quest as a great success, and I'm rather proud of my utter disaster of a fire mage. It was also an experiment in borrowing an existing rpg ruleset for the quest's mechanical framework and as a source for several of the plot arcs, which in retrospect I think worked less well, but lessons were learned there too.
On Angel's Wings - (Oh My Goddess) Mature - Fantasy - Modern[Oh My Goddess]
Synopsis:
"The story of a man cursed and left beyond, and a goddess outcast. Forced together not by will, but by fate. Their journey will both them them far away from where they belong or wish to be. To take care of a child, and to live a life guided on angel's wings."
Path towards Equality (Quest of the Equalists) [AU Legend of Korra Quest] [Legend of Korra]
Synopsis: You are the Equalists, determining your own path!
Persona: The Beautiful Fantasy - Modern [Persona]
Synopsis: A high school student looking for friendship and trying to find it in fame, you've received an invitation to join no less than the most popular clique in school, the All-Aces! However, they have an... odd initiation ritual, called 'The Persona Game'.
And why did they choose you, of all people?
Pokemon Bet: The Lost World [Pokemon X Worm]
Summary:
In 1982, everything changed. Animals, plants, even rocks and garbage mutated and became living monsters. Society collapsed, but now, as the remnants of humanity learn to work with these new 'Pokemon', they are finally starting to rebuild. Follow the story of a young trainer, Rachel Lindt, as she makes her way in a dangerous world, full of ruin, wonder, and opportunity. All she wanted to do was raise some puppies, damn it!

Commentary:
I never thought it would do this well. Never thought that Pokemon Bet, of all things, would be the first story I actually finish. I won't claim to be an expert on Worm, and haven't ever actually finished a Pokemon game, or even watched much of the Anime. So taking on a full fusion of Worm and Pokemon was a frankly ridiculous undertaking, and it's a bit of a miracle that it turned out as well as it did.

I really couldn't have done it without the loyal followers, the people who poked holes, who asked questions that helped me expand my worldbuilding, who contributed art and omakes, who helped with the lore from Pokemon canon. Pokemon Bet will always hold a place in my heart. In the end, though, while I would have loved to keep writing the adventures of Rachel, Taylor, and their Pokemon teams, It was for the best that I ended the quest where I did. Writing is hard work, muses are fickle friends, and one of the most important things that I learned is to know when and how to bring the quest to a satisfactory end.
Puella Flamme Henshin Karen (A PMMM Quest) [PMMM x possibly yakuza games from the tag]
Synopsis: Don't forget. Always, somewhere stories are penned in the Hopes of others. As long as you remember this, your War rages on.

Catalogue Notes: Sequel to Puella Magi Falsus Magica.
Puella Magi Falsus Magica [PMMM]
Synopsis: You awaken as an artificial lifeform with five Grief Seeds as your core. As soon as you awake, you save the girl who made you and you're introduced to the world of Magical Girls as a walking anomaly, using the corpse of a person that should have been long dead. Discover the truth, fight crime and mix drinks in this wild Magical Girl adventure!

Commentary: It's a quest that was made for fun mostly. It had middling reception for its run but what players played was greatly enjoyed by those who read it. It's a fun spin on the whole Magical Girl thing.
Putting the Craft in Warcraft [Warcraft]
Synopsis: War, war never changes. In the world of Warcraft, it never ends either. All of that war is hungry though, and it needs people to feed it. That's where blacksmiths come in. They're one of the many professions that supply people out there. Come in and read about one of those Blacksmiths! See how they strive and reach for fame and glory, in their own way.

Author's Words: I enjoyed this particular quest, but to be honest I did more than a few things wrong in it. It moved too fast at certain points, and if I were to do it again I would have gathering supplies and crafting be more involved. That said I believe it's fun, and it had a satisfactory end, which is usually enough.
Sayaka Quest 1 [PMMM]
Synopsis-
In a moment of clarity, Sayaka Miki listens. What follows is a butterfly effect, as Sayaka meets people in different circumstances, learns the greater picture and discovers her own strength and powers. In a universe that's determined to kill her, she has to learn how to make do and charge ahead, saving as many lives as she can on the way.

Commentary -
SQ1 is a bit meandering and long for my own personal tastes, but I was learning. It took two years to finish and a lot of it kind of repeats itself, it gets caught up in its own mess, but it was a lot of fun regardless. I learned a lot as a writer, as an artist and as a questrunner doing it.

...oh yes and the dice. Oh the dice. The dice were terrible. It was hilarious.
Sayaka Quest 2 - Easy to Find [PMMM]
Synopsis -
It's been 20 years since the events of SayakaQuest, and Sayaka, Kyouko and their child Minako are living in the rebuilt Mitakihara, doing their best in a system that wants them dead. Walpurgisnacht's Grief Seed sits in their back yard, providing a near-limitless resource for any magi in the city, and while it's not perfect, Mitakihara is home to dozens of saved magical people.

The secret that Minako's mothers kept hidden from them is about to fall apart. And the system that Sayaka and Kyouko have openly defied for decades is about to come for them in the form of a six-winged seraphim.

Commentary -
SayakaQuest 2 was made on a whim. I started it because I wanted to expand on ideas that I felt like Madoka Magica was either not interested in exploring or didn't realize it could explore. Madoka Magica inherently deals with a hostile system, but has little interest in exploring whether or not that system is even necessary. It has very young people being forced into a violent lifestyle, but by virtue of its format it can't really explore how that life would affect people as they grow into adults.

It's also self-indulgent as heck.
Scraps Sidelined [Girls Frontline]
Synopsis: You were getting transferred. And that was a good thing! You'll meet new people and make new friends! Stationed in unfamiliar city, you'll be working with your fellow dolls to resolve incidents and uncover secrets. Hopefully intact!

Commentary: A first take on GFL quest for me. It's an isolated story away from the main plot focused on a group of Dolls and the city they're in. I tried making it really cool.
She-Russ [She-Ra X WH40K]
Synopsis: In the bleak future of the Warhammer 40,000 universe, Adora Ra thinks she's simply another member of the Imperial Guard, destined to captain a Leman Russ battle tank through the battlefields of the 41st millennium, with her best friend Catra at her side. The truth is that she is caught up in events that will shake the foundation of the universe itself, with a destiny she never wanted and cannot ignore...a destiny that begins with a mysterious sword that unlocks in her the ability to become the unstoppable warrior, She-Russ. Romance, heart break, thrilling action and shocking twists abound in this retelling of the She-Ra story.

Commentary: This was my first quest ever! But to call it that is kind of...a lie. I've been running tabletop RPGs since I was in high school - and specifically, Warhammer 40k games, ever since I picked up my first copy of the Fantasy Flight Games' "Warhammer 40k: Rogue Trader", which introduced me to a vision of the 40k universe I had never seen before. Rogue Trader's premise is that you play as the freewheeling explorers of the 40k setting (the Rogue Traders.) What struck teen me was...after literal years of reading about how grim and dark Warhammer was, Rogue Trader described its primary moods as being about hope.

That kernel of optimism, that things could get better despite how utterly bleak the universe was, has stuck me for literally decades, and when I fell madly in love with Noelle Stevenson's revamp of the 1980s She-Ra cartoon with She-Ra and the Princesses of Power, I realized I needed to write some fan fiction involving the characters I loved. But, there was no direct connection between She-Ra and 40k at first in my mind until, as a joke, I tweeted: "Which characters in She-Ra would be in what position in a Leman Russ battle tank?"

One of my followers responded with "Adora in command, Catra in the gunner, Perfuma as the driver, Glimmer and Bow as the sponson gunners, and Scorpia as the loader" and that last idea - of the lovable cinnamon roll Scorpia, who (if you've never seen the show) has gigantic pincers for hands rather than actual fingers, trying to load shells without dropping them...well, it was so delightful that I immediately started thinking about how to do the plot beats of She-Ra in the setting of 40k, which lead me back to that old thoughts about hope and possibility.

She-Ra is about escaping patterns of abuse. It's about people who have had shitty parents and shitty lives learning how to be better people through the examples of their friends and their shared love for one another. It is a deeply optimistic show, but it underlines this optimism by taking several dramatic moments to deeply undercut the characters, so that when they do eventually triumph, it feels all the more important and valuable and real. Taking the feeling of those moments and then contextualizing them into the operatic grandeur of Warhammer 40k's central tragedy was a logical end point for the combination of the two shows.

Then open_sketch said, "MAKE IT A QUEST!" and I did!

Fortunately, having run tabletop RPGs for, like, literally a decade did give me some experience at gently guiding the plot where I wanted it to go, incorporating the choices of people and changing scenes to fit what they said. The result wasn't quite what I had plotted out in my head - instead, it was something better, which I'm extremely proud of! And I hope you all enjoy it too!
Shinji Ikari Raising Project [NGE]
Blurb:
The Shinji Ikari Raising Project is a quest loosely based on the eponymous game. It puts the players in control of Misato Katsuragi as she becomes the guardian of Shinji Ikari (and later other pilots). It's up to Misato to keep the pilots safe and sane as they take on brand new Angels, get caught up in dueling conspiracies, and deal with their joys and sorrows.

Personal commentary:
The quest grew in ways I never expected, largely thanks to truly dedicated players who spent as much time obsessing over the quest as I did. Watching the players fall in love with the kids was one of the most rewarding experiences I've had as a writer.
Slivers in the Chaos Lands [MTG X Multicross]
BLURB:
Your mother was the original Sliver Queen, a power whom the Planeswalkers felt the need to cast down before she ascended. They tore her lair apart, slew her children, and rent her from existence...but not before she sent you away to safety.

You are Regina, the new Sliver Queen and barely a child when your story begins. Your mother's ritual went astray, and instead of sending you to safety at the far end of her empire you were cast through the void to land in the Chaos Lands, a shifting realm that lies between worlds. Bits of other realities fade in and out. Laws of magic and nature change from day to day. Peoples of myth and stories appear to battle. You must ally yourselves with the Elves of Ilúvatar, the men and women of this strange 'Stargate Command', and any others you can find, in a desperate attempt to stave off the fast-spreading plague of ogres and other monsters that infest these lands.

COMMENTARY:
Overall: This went reasonably well. It was inspired by Slivers in Warhammer Fantasy (MTG/WHF) by @Aranfan; aranfan liked it enough to borrow some of the new mechanics back. My playerbase seemed to stay relatively stable throughout, which I took as a good sign. Reviews were mostly positive.

It was my first solo quest and I was confident that I would get some things wrong, so the Chaos Lands rules were designed to give me 'outs'. I could modify the rules system and move story elements in and out when necessarily while having an in-universe justification, but I also gave the players some agency in how that happened. This proved to be a good move that made things better for everyone.

Lessons learned:
MtG magic is extremely powerful so I put some heavy restrictions on it. They were intended to be used in a particular way (breed lots of generic slivers and throw them at doing research) but that wasn't a path that the players wanted to go down, so MtG magic became a problem. I eventually Chaos-Shifted it away and that resulted in a better quest for all.

I did a lightning round at one point, where I posted a few hundred words every 15 minutes, then the players had (5? 10? I think?) minutes to vote and I would do the next mini-update. It was exhausting but fun, although it did cause some in-universe issues later on that a few people were unhappy about. I'm glad I did it but probably won't do it again in the future.

Also, the hunting mechanics were too fiddly. If I did something like this again I would simplify them -- get rid of hunting caps, get rid of surveying actions, etc.
That Nostalgic Summer Rain [Bleach X Kara no Kyoukai]
Synopsis: A girl burdened by a sinful nature seeks to justify her existence, and follows a lost soul to Karakura Town to offer a helping hand.
The Adverse of the Gods and Men (NO SV, You are gonna build a Civilization on a Deathworld, and you are going to like it!) [RWBY]
Synopsis: The Gods of Remant, the Two Brothers just killed Human Civilization.

One Evolutionary cycle, Four Shiny relics of Doom that can kill us all and a Half insane lonely Grimm human...here we are.

This is uncomfortable and Grimm are everywhere.

And its your Job to make sure we survive long enough to go down in flames together, because lets be honest...

We are probably doomed.
The Dragon Blood, Never Born [Exalted]
Synopsis:
You were bred for a life of power and privilege, to be one of the world-spanning Realm's elementally-powered heroes, the Dragon-blooded. You are one of three co-equal Triumvirs who rule the Lap, a city built into a gargantuan statue five miles tall, known as the Penitent. However, you have a secret. You are not among the Dragon-Blooded: your power is that of the Underworld. You are Triumvir Peleps, and you are thrown into a world of shape-shifting Anathema, undead monsters, supernatural martial arts, and treacherous allies without any guide and precious few friends. You'll have to figure it out quickly, as the clock is ticking on the Deathlord's scheme to plunder the secrets of the Penitent. A narrative quest set in the world of Exalted, with no experience in the setting required.

Author's Note:
Exalted is a setting I've loved for a long time, and I wrote this in celebration of the things I love about it, and in hopes of helping introduce it to others. I made a point of mixing a combination of elements from canon sources, from characters to locations, with my own original elements. The very specific idea of a disguised Abyssal pretending to be a Dragon-Blood in the Lap is something I've toyed with for a long time, and here all the pieces lined up. I intentionally created a character who is quite familiar with only part of Exalted's setting as a viewpoint character to provide a certain level of biased commentary on how things unfold. If you know the setting deeply, there's dramatic irony to be found there, but more important to me was that it let our protagonist learn as he went, serving to help introduce things to someone who hasn't immersed themself in Exalted before.
The Last Knight [Digimon]
Synopsis:
The Last Knight is a Digimon quest which deals in themes of rejection, and dishonour. It charts the journey of a disgraced knight, a Gallantmon who failed in his duty and turned from his comrades. We follow this fallen hero as he deals with his self-loathing and sense of shame, gradually trying to claw back to the man he used to be. At the same time, his former comrades, grown cold and ruthless, are waging a personal war on the rest of the world. Our hero must now decide not only whether his first failure defines him even now, but whether he is willing and able to try again.

Author's Note:
The Last Knight is an interesting quest. At the time, Digimon quests were what I was known for, and this is one of the last ones I did before shifting to other things. it deals in dark themes at times, a natural extension of its central concept which is, when you get right down to it, a man struggling with what he regards as his former failures. Unlike a lot of my other quests, it can be quite heavy at times because it charts the MC's mental journey as he tries to restore himself dealing with crippling failure, self-loathing, and the idea that he could have done better if he had only made a different choice. But it also shows his slow progression as he starts to reclaim himself, and struggle to be once more the knight he used to be.

In terms of my writing, Gallantmon was one of the more interesting characters I have ever done, I think. He's complex, down at the core. A good person put into a bad situation and left to deteriorate on his own for years. He's so tempted to give into despair, and yet continues to claw for redemption for a reason even he does not really know anymore.

Compared to my current writing style and abilities, I would say that the Last Knight is not as good as it could have been if I had done it today. It deals in dark themes at times, and when I wrote it, I was still getting used to that. I think it shows here and there. But ultimately, I consider it a worthy quest, which I am glad I was able to write and finish.
The Tale of the Angry Islanders of Algos [Fire Emblem]
Synopsis: Set in Tellius this quest covers the adventures of a pack of angry people given a nation of there own... Apparently they have a lot of be angry about as well.

Author's Note: This is probably the least popular quest I've finished, weather it's because I just wasn't good with the format or was much less competent a writer at the time I don't know... but I have to say the user participation made it a blast to write from.
The World Hangs in the Balance! [NGE/XCOM/Ct̡h́u҉ĺhuT̛e͡ch̛]
Synopsis: Aliens invade, and the XCOM organization is there to meet them. Of course, it would be a lot easier if the world hadn't nearly ended fifteen years ago, and their cousin organization dedicated to fighting entirely different aliens were on the level and also not using child soldiers. Nothing is as it seems, and a needle must be thread between hunting down those moving the world to its end and fending off increasingly potent assaults from the stars. Then portals to the closest thing to hell start appearing and things get even trickier...

Comments: This was my first Quest/fic, and I was sixteen when I wrote it. I have a lot of mixed feelings about this one, since it was both my first and most viewed work but also the one I most want to go back and change. All I'm saying is that if you read it don't drag me too hard.
TO BURN, VENT, OR TAKE AS PRIZE [WH40K]
Summary: This is the story of Commander Vynn, an iconoclastic officer only recently promoted to command rank in the Imperial Navy of the far future setting of Warhammer 40,000. The navy is the first and often only line of defense between humanity and its enemies, but it is no mean feat to command one of these multi-kilometre long starships, with their crews of tens of thousands. Fortunately, Vynn is joined by her boon companion and long time friend, the civilian doctor Jonathan Balthezar, who sticks with her through risks of mutiny, warp storms, and terrible battles. Can Vynn succeed in her first command...or is she going down with her ship?

Commentary: I really like the Master and Commander series by Patrick O'Brian. So, this is that, but in space.
Warhammer Fantasy: Norsca United [WHF]
Synopsis: This Warhammer quest follows a small nation of Norscans who never fell to Chaos. Over the years, they conquer all of Norsca and struggle against the foul Chaos gods.
"With my Hope, I walk Eternal" [NGE]
Synopsis: It's a new day Shinji, things are very different. You have cybernetics and a Dad (Don't ask why you're adopted) but you still gotta get in the Robot and save the world.

Author's Note:
Well, First thing it was the first quest I ever did, so it was a bit rough, the updates were short, my writings were a bit wooden and I was kinda reliant on shock and awe writing. My AU was only two idea old (An Unpublished Deus Ex Fusion Fic set post Rebuild 3.33) and the ensuring character sheets I made along with them. I never thought about writing in a Quest format and was going off of Magoose's work as inspiration.
It was also short, for the ambition I had for it. But such is life.

I told the story I wanted to Tell and got some fun along the way...Really its a testbed for Future quests and Ideas I had.

It also started what I call the WILLE! Verse (One of the names I have for it) a Universe of Evangelion witch shows the Organization WILLE not sitting on its butt until Shinji ruins everything to finally act. This has far reaching consequences for future quests as I flesh out the organizations backstory and give more information on certain elements.

Over all, all of those in some ways got their start here, and as it slowly expands as they go into other quests I made on the subject they learn more.
Really I wrote the quest to Give Shinji agency over his own life, something he never really had.

And I think I did a good job starting with this.
Wrath of the Pathetic [WHF]
Synopsis: It isn't easy being green, especially when you are a warhammer fantasy goblin. At least you have sheer spite on your side, can't go on without that good ol spite!
Ymaryn Successor Quest (Paths of Civ AU) [Paths of Civilization]
Synopsis: The People have Fallen. Their great Kingdom is shattered into pieces. Take control of one of those pieces and try to guide it through the turbulent waters of history.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go Vocal! Glad you were able to get the catalogue up and running for a solid base to expand from in the future as more quests get completed and more are brought to your attention

Praise be! This has been a long time coming, and I'm really happy to see you finish it. Given how rare it is for Quests to complete, giving them a space is something I support wholeheartedly.

Now have fun keeping up with updating it :p

So, these are only a handful (those I know about), but some of these have sequels if people are interested.

Practice War has led into the Secrets' Crusade. A very direct sequel featuring a disjunction of mechanics and partial disjunction of setting, but picking up on the same characters and plot.

Petals of Titanium has led into Petals of Carbon Steel. This is a partial disjunction of plot, setting and characters, but maintains very similar mechanics.

Forge of Destiny has lead into Threads of Destiny. I haven't read these, so I can't tell you what's different.

Last edited:
So cool to see a lot of the completed quests. Thanks Vocalend, and well done SV.

And it is a rather unfortunate truth to say but indeed, a great number of these Quests end up abandoned and dead for a multitude of reasons.
Speaking of dead threads though, it's still such a shame to me that some of them never got to be completed. Magna Graecia was still my biggest regret, with Path of Civ a close runner up.

Is there an adoption thread somewhere where a quest that lost its parents can find a new home instead of just leaving them to die?

Last edited:
Ah, I think I won't sleep tonight

Lot of these completed quest makes me interested with their premises. This just made my Sunday, Good Job!

Day One Feedback and Update Cycle
First of all, thanks to everyone for the support and reception on this project. And secondly, I must of course apologize because I am prone to errors- and well, let it never be said that I'm not intending to work my errs.

Thirdly, as this will be an ongoing project, I welcome feedbacks and indeed, if any of you fellow SVers are able, to notify me of other Completed Quests. So let's address them one by one.
I would like to humbly submit my one and only completed quest. I'm hopeful my track record will improve.
Thank you~ You should have received the letter on the matter. I look forward for the reply.
Speaking of dead threads though, it's still such a shame to me that some of them never got to be completed. Magna Graecia was still my biggest regret. Is there an adoption thread somewhere where a quest that lost its parents can find a new home instrad of just leaving them to die?
MG I think went its course. And sadly, I don't think there's an adoption thread in SV. There could be one though.
Should "With my Hope, I walk Eternal" be in the Media-Derivative section rather than the Original section? It looks to be an extremely heavy Neon Genesis Evangelion AU, but it's still derived from NGE.
Well there's the glaring mistake on my end. That seemed to be there since the first few draft and I didn't move them. Fixed.
Nice idea. There is a formatting issue though, Kirby quest, appropriately, ate another quest's synopsis.
Very appropriate but poor editing on my end. Fixed.

Also as a question and addition- something that was suggested to me soon after launching by @Namer via other channels- is whether or not the addition of QM Names would be welcome. Would it be too busy to add to the headers? Or would it be needed, if nothing else for completeness' sake? What do you folks think?

What a great idea! Author's names should probably be in there somewhere, but whether the summary or the heading I'm not sure.

I haven't read many of these, but here are my recommendations from the list:

Petals of Titanium
Did you skip past the "original" section to go find your favorite universe? Do you like Gundam, or just space opera in general? Read this. "Bridge bunny quest" might not not sound that interesting at first glance, but that just means some of the player decisions involved sensors and comms. You still get to read the mecha battles and care about the pilots. This story has romance, long-lost family, espionage, friendship, sacrifice and I cannot stress this enough: cool mecha battles in space.

Fate/Hollow Fake
Did you like the parts of Fate/Stay Night that focused on mystery and horror? Are you tired of EMIYAs and willing to embrace some really great OC protagonists? Honestly I'm not sure what else to say without spoiling too much. There's servant battles, teams of mages trying to outsmart each other, and the ever-looming threat of everything that can go wrong in the Grail War. It's Fate, it's good, go read it.

Last edited:
Not sure if it's QMs that should submit their own quests, or if anyone could do that, but there is one I can recall that isn't on the list.

forums.sufficientvelocity.com

Shinji Ikari Raising Project (Complete)

NEW GAME Graphics On/Off Off Sex On/Off Off Enable Saves? No Random Event Chance...

Anyone can submit a quest for the list, GM of it or not. But if they aren't the GM, then the people who are maintaining the catalogue (Vocal and any other volunteers such as myself) will have to go and talk to the GM directly, asking if they want it added to the catalogue and if they would be willing to post a small blurb for it.

Also as a question and addition- something that was suggested to me soon after launching by @Namer via other channels- is whether or not the addition of QM Names would be welcome. Would it be too busy to add to the headers? Or would it be needed, if nothing else for completeness' sake? What do you folks think?

You could add the names inside the description if putting them in the headers looks too cluttered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back