ASOIAF: The Omniverse's centre

Atomicwalrus Economic Mechanic
Here's a collated draft of an economic system, draft schedule of PC factions and an old age mechanic for everyone's comment.

Economic Score
Each PC"s economy is represented by an Economic Score. An Economic Score is representative of the Cumulative value of three characteristics Population, Law and Wealth. Each of these characteristics are represented by a value between 0 and 33.

Law:
Representing the extent the small folk fear and respect their leader and the presence of bandits and other criminal elements.

Population:
Representing the realms subjects and their health.

Wealth:
Representing the liquid wealth of the realm as well as resources like cattle, minerals and the like.

Economic Plans/ Trade Deals:
Economic characteristics can be raised by both projects and trade deals. While trade deals can be organised in character economic projects need to be submitted to a mod. Once reviewed by a mod the nominated characteristic will be increased or lowered depending on the value of the plan

Stability/Stagnation:
Westeros is hardly a dynamic and progressive place. The economic strength value assigned at the beginning of the came represents the 'natural' strength of the economy. Over time, baring significant changes in circumstance a PC's economy will either rise or degrade to the 'natural' strength of the economy.

This is represented by each characteristic when higher then the base decreasing by 1 every 2 years until they reach the base and each characteristic lower then the base increasing by 1 every year until it reach the base. Additional plans submitted to the mod can accelerate or slow down this process.

Game of Coins:
In The game of Thrones you win or you die, The Game of Coins is no less kind. If a PC decides they wish to better their economic position they join the Game of Coins. Like in the eternal Game of Thrones a PC riseing above their station soon finds enemies in the shadows but alsl unexpected winfalls. A PC who joins the game may not leave it for 5 years.

At the begining of each turn every player of the Game of Coins must roll or have a mod roll on the Game of Coins Table

Game of Coins Table:
1 - Blessed
The gods smile on the PC their station rises with their wealth. An event occurs rising one economic characteristic by 1d4 or 2 characteristics by 1.

2 - Growth
Coin begets coin. An event occurs rising one economic characteristic by 1.

3 - Decline
A poor bet or a lost ship, last year could have been better. An event occurs reducing an economic characteristic by 1.

4 - Curse
Enemies seek to undermine your new position or maybe you made the wrong decision... . An event occurs reducing your highest economic characteristic by 1d2.

5 - Tragedy
That could have gone better... An event occurs reducing your lowest economic characteristic by 1d2.

6 - Disaster
Forgotten by the gods you feel your dreams of wealth slipping away... An event occurs reducing one economic characteristic by 1d3 or 2 characteristics by 1.

Schedule
Volantis:

Economic Score: 62
Population: 18
Law: 19
Wealth: 25

House Tarly:
Economic Score: 54
Population: 19
Law: 20
Wealth: 15

The Faith:
Economic Score: 53
Population: 5
Law: 30
Wealth: 18

House Targaryen:
Economic Score: 64
Population: 12
Law: 22
Wealth: 30

House Durrandon:
Economic Score: 62
Population: 23
Wealth: 19

House Darklyn:
Population: 15
Law: 18
Wealth: 20

House Tully:
Economic Score: 49
Population: 14

House Martell:
Wealth: 21

House Greystark:
Population: 17

House Lannister:
Economic Score: 64
Population: 17
Wealth: 29

House Hoare:
Economic Score: 47
Law: 9
Wealth:19

House Hightower:
Economic Score: 56
Wealth: 24

House Yronwood:

House Osgrey:
The schedule will need heavy revision, don't panic.

Once a character reaches age 60 roll a d100 with the below modifiers each year, any result of less then 1 means the character has shuffled off to the next life.

Character age between 60-69: -20
Character age between 70-79: -30
Character age between 80-89: -40
Character age between 90-99: -50
Character age between 100-109: -60
Character age between 110+: +100, you did it you're immortal, the Stranger await you to shepherd him off to his next life.

Threadmarked. Btw anyone checking out sketchbooks gaming system

Question why is House Hoare so low... I have 8k levies, the whole of Gods Eye, the largest castle in Wrsteros and the Tullys are better off that me?

Question why is House Hoare so low... I have 8k levies, the whole of Gods Eye, the largest castle in Wrsteros and the Tullys are better off that me?

Probably needs a buff then. Your law score is low though to represent general friction between your vasals and faith problems. 9 might be a bit low though.

What do you think are better numbers? Scores are between 0 and 33.

Probably needs a buff then. Your law score is low though to represent general friction between your vasals and faith problems. 9 might be a bit low though.

What do you think are better numbers? Scores are between 0 and 33.
Law score of 15. I mean the Hoares are feared.
Pop score of 24. Its peaceful in the Hoares own lands
Wealth of 20. Theyre traders and built Harrenhall. Everyone to hold it since has become drinking rich I assume it's the same for the original holders.
59... and my original score would better reflect the Tarlys who live in a fractious region full of conflicts

It's not compulsory, you aren't forced to roll in this system, it's a gamble for players who want to gamble at econ even if they have no talent for it.

It just seems like...

I'm imagining this scenario. I, playing as House Bumblefumble in the Stormlands, decide to grow my wealth by selling sand to the Dornish. I roll on the Game of Coins. Crit success!

Now I have shot the wealth of my House through the ceiling...by selling sand. To Dorne.

This seems wrong on many levels.

It just seems like...

I'm imagining this scenario. I, playing as House Bumblefumble in the Stormlands, decide to grow my wealth by selling sand to the Dornish. I roll on the Game of Coins. Crit success!

Now I have shot the wealth of my House through the ceiling...by selling sand. To Dorne.

The plan has to be mod approved first. I'm fairly sure they'd see the deficiencies of said plan from a mile away.

It just seems like...

I might not be being clear, that isn't how this works.

for example

Lorath has a wealth of 19

Lorath has a plan to buy whale Oil from Ib at a discount and sell it on to Bravos. Lorath does up an economic plan following in character negotiations with the Ib player and Bravos. The plan is looked over by the relevant mod. The mod decides this is brilliant Lorath will get 2 more wealth Ib 1 and Bravo 1 because Bravos has a plan to distribute the oil across the Narrow Sea.

Next turn each player gets their wealth, but each player also joins the Game of Coins. as a member of the Game of Coins they must roll on the Game of Coins Table each turn. Lorath now has a wealth of 22.

At the begining of the turn Lorath rolls on the table they get a 6! something went wrong, maybe the whalers got swept up in a storm and now Lorath must compensate everyone it owes oil to. Lorath decides to take a risk and roll the d3. Lorath gets 3!, the price oil skyrocketing due to the short fall leaves them worse then they started as they have to buy from other sources to meet their obligations to Bravos, Lorath now has a wealth of 18.

The rolls is not a measure of how successful the plan is, the roll is entirely independent of the plan and is to represent impossible to plan for circumstances. it is also meant to be a balancing agent so players who don't want to play with the economy don't get left behind and aren't punished for it.

The roll is not to see if the plan was a success a mod will assess the plan just like they would a war plan. your plan to sell sand to the Dornish would obviously result in a loss of wealth.

That reference took too long to appear.

It's a shame, I feel like the member of a secret order who manipulates the world to their will every time it is brought up. :V
I, as the grand master of that Cabal actually think you guys need to bloody change the way you run your games, so that argument does not really work anyways. :p

I think the Game of Coins is too random.

That's one of the things we are trying to test in the new game. I have founded the system on the establoshed precedent of submitting plans to a mod to cause bug changes to the world.

I have also limited the system to one roll to minimize randomness but provide an element of risk for engageing in the system and allow for not engaging with the system to be a relevant option.

After testing the system will more then likely be amended.

I will do likewise with Volant is, though I'd prefer q system that took things like current population, resources, and territory into account more directly.

I will do likewise with Volant is, though I'd prefer q system that took things like current population, resources, and territory into account more directly.
My initial system had a territory stat, i decided to remove it to simplify the system, because territory is already represented on the map and value gained from territory can be infered by other statistics.

I decided to stick to arbitrary stats (1-33) instead of solid numbers, due to the lack of hard details we have on the WoIAF. This is another thing we need to test, hard numbers may end up preferable, but im worried it will make the Mods job a lot harder due to the accounting involved to manage it.

What is a turn roll?

Back in the primordial ooze of 2012 and 2011 when Nation Gaming was working itself out as a mechanical system, turn rolls became an answer to problems of players arbitrarily assigning themselves the best things. At the end of every turn, the mods would roll for each nation and provide them with an associated benefit or malus. Horrible turn rolls became memetic in how disastrous they could be, and vice versa.

Me thinks there's too much chaos going on. If we're doing a pre-Conquest game I suggest we do something shortly before Aegon's Conquest.

But personally, I've been waiting literally years to do a game closer to the start of the books. I don't think I'm interested in any new games until @Bob the Great gets his due.

Back