2 DRAGONS 2 DOGMA

Writing is decent, only really done side quests, not brilliant, but not bad either.

Out of interest, how is NPC dialogue in general?

As in, I recall in DD1, NPCs had one line of dialogue outside of quests, and that line is mostly something like "times are hard indeed" or some such contentless dialogue.

So I'm hoping NPCs now have some reactivity to whatever is happening around them. It would make the world feel more alive, rather than populated by cardboard.

It always got a bit weird that the "human" NPCs talk about how Pawns are "not really people" due to lack of emotional and social reactions, when Pawns have far more reactions than the average NPC.

Out of interest, how is NPC dialogue in general?

As in, I recall in DD1, NPCs had one line of dialogue outside of quests, and that line is mostly something like "times are hard indeed" or some such contentless dialogue.

So I'm hoping NPCs now have some reactivity to whatever is happening around them. It would make the world feel more alive, rather than populated by cardboard.

It always got a bit weird that the "human" NPCs talk about how Pawns are "not really people" due to lack of emotional and social reactions, when Pawns have far more reactions than the average NPC.
It's not really any better i think.
Very little chatter, not very varied so far, i have seen occasional conversations from npc's, but not often and i honestly have not paid any attention to them, and if you talk to them, they do have basicly one line to give you, if that.
Pawn chatter is, better, than it was in DG1, but still not brilliant, and they are super impressed by my brilliant tactic of slamming high Frigor into a goblins face.
Also somewhat critical about having two sorceres and a mage in a single party, and not without cause i'll admit, having more balanced party seems lot more effective in this one (i blame (and mourn) the lack of tornado).

What there are, however, is lot more people on the road, i've had something like a dozen people fighting a single ogre (including my group of 4), pawns, patrols, wandering merchants, ox carts...
And, without having moved to the second nation, i have so far found 5 population centers.
The main city, 3 villages, and a military camp (though the camp was basicly what the military camp outside starting village was, so not a big whoop).
Also occasional enemy groups fighting each other, which is fun, though they tend to prioritize me the moment they see me.

The pawns are great, they're total gossips about their player and have all kinds of observational comments. For example they'll obliquely suggest that you're a furry if you only hire beastren pawns lol

It's not really any better i think.
Very little chatter, not very varied so far, i have seen occasional conversations from npc's, but not often and i honestly have not paid any attention to them, and if you talk to them, they do have basicly one line to give you, if that.

That's very disappointing. All the talk about "DD2 improves on DD1" made me hope that the world was more consistent with its liveliness, rather than being populated by cardboard as mentioned.

The pawns are great, they're total gossips about their player and have all kinds of observational comments. For example they'll obliquely suggest that you're a furry if you only hire beastren pawns lol

Speaking of which, a question I'd been wondering since the previews: what are Beastren?

As in, what lore background do they have? "Just another race inhabiting the setting" is an entirely valid answer, albeit a little disappointing, because it wouldn't answer why we don't see them in DD1.

I also have the same question for "what are Elves", which I've had since DD1, since as far as I can tell "elf" in the Dragon's Dogma setting means "has pointy ears", which is basically just changing one option in the character creator.

As in, what lore background do they have? "Just another race inhabiting the setting" is an entirely valid answer, albeit a little disappointing, because it wouldn't answer why we don't see them in DD1.

They're just another people in the world. They weren't in the first game because (in universe) they just didn't live in Gransys, which was a relatively remote country.

They're just another people in the world. They weren't in the first game because (in universe) they just didn't live in Gransys, which was a relatively remote country.

I take it from this we know nothing about the history of Beastren (or Elves or Humans) in the setting? They're just there, and they are simultaneously non-notable in presence that they're "just another people in the world", and yet notable in presence that Pawns will make comments about it that I presume they wouldn't for an all-human party. (I don't even know if there are flags for "Elf", since as mentioned it's just a character customization option, and the body shape is still "Humanoid".)

They're just there, and they are simultaneously non-notable in presence that they're "just another people in the world", and yet notable in presence that Pawns will make comments about it that I presume they wouldn't for an all-human party.

Like I said, the pawns are gossipy. They'll speculate on your sexuality if you only hire pawns of a particular gender, and if you do your pawn might spread rumours about you when off on the other side of the rift.

Like I said, the pawns are gossipy. They'll speculate on your sexuality if you only hire pawns of a particular gender, and if you do your pawn might spread rumours about you when off on the other side of the rift.

That puts things into perspective, thanks. I was wondering why Beastren were considered notable enough for Pawns to comment on, but all-male or all-female parties are also apparently notable.

How often do Pawns comment on this? As in, is this something they'll mention once or twice, or is it "WOLVES HUNT IN PACKS" levels of repetitiveness? I can imagine the latter turning the comments from amusing to irritating, and if this was DD1 I'd absolutely expect the Pawn dialogue to repeat plenty, but I don't know if DD2 is different.

How often do Pawns comment on this? As in, is this something they'll mention once or twice, or is it "WOLVES HUNT IN PACKS" levels of repetitiveness? I can imagine the latter turning the comments from amusing to irritating, and if this was DD1 I'd absolutely expect the Pawn dialogue to repeat plenty, but I don't know if DD2 is different.

I can't tell you how you would feel about it.

Seeing a number of streamers (including Biboo, yes) go "I don't need ranged attacks, I can always toss my Pawn at enemies" makes me wonder if it's actually possible to do so for the majority of the game's enemies. Would be hilarious if so.

In theory you don't need ranged attacks.
In practice, trying to deal with harpies without ranged attacks is a pain in the ass hich is why i play sorcerer with lightning spells.

Also, i hate pawns with chuck people into air skill, it is utterly useless 9 times out of 10.

Of course, luck is sometimes not helpful about that. Quite a few riftstones have revealed no male pawns, especially ones close to my level.

That puts things into perspective, thanks. I was wondering why Beastren were considered notable enough for Pawns to comment on, but all-male or all-female parties are also apparently notable.

I've noticed that they do repeat themselves, but conversation and banter is a lot more varied this time around. Way less annoying and pretty fun, IMHO.

Once a hired pawn sassed me for not following them to a quest, and mine (politely) shut them down.

There's an elven village I found tonight and I couldn't understand a word they're saying, even the subtitles are in elvish.

Hell, even the *item descriptions* in their shops are in a Tolkien-ass elven script. Aside from Arabic numerals it's entirely indecipherable.

Ended up doing item storage, inn rest, and gear purchase (entirely by just looking at numbers) by muscle memory alone while staring blankly at the Elves as they talked to me.

Last edited:
There's an elven village I found tonight and I couldn't understand a word they're saying, even the subtitles are in elvish.

Hell, even the *item descriptions* in their shops are in a Tolkien-ass elven script. Aside from Arabic numerals it's entirely indecipherable.

Ended up doing item storage, inn rest, and gear purchase (entirely by just looking at numbers) by muscle memory alone while staring blankly at the Elves as they talked to me.

Pawns can get the translator specialty to let you understand that stuff. Not sure how one gets it, some people are saying from the elf quest lines in human cities or just by giving certain elves gifts to raise affinity.

I had a mildly terrifying moment in a recent fight.

I was fighting a cyclops, and I'm at a point where they're fairly easy to deal with, if we're fighting them by themselves. Sure, most of my crew was at less than 50% of their max health, but eh, manageable.

Then I got attacked from behind by two humanoid enemies that I do not recognize, and they were a fair bit tougher than most that I'd fought so far.

Then, as I was dividing my attention between the two, (not super easy when you're playing the squishy mage) I saw a silhouette of a gryphon in the sky, slowly getting closer and closer every time my attention swapped between the various targets.

I'd been absolutely convinced that the fight was going to get more chaotic. Fortunately it just... disappeared? Not sure if that was a bug or if it was something else, but I was absolutely convinced that that fight was going to get more complicated.

I also ran into a random ox cart at night that looked like it had blue torches lighting its path. I... had no idea what was going on when I approached them, but they just... disappeared the moment I approached. Not sure if it was a glitch, or something that was supposed to be a spooky happenstance, but, yeah.

I also ran into a random ox cart at night that looked like it had blue torches lighting its path. I... had no idea what was going on when I approached them, but they just... disappeared the moment I approached. Not sure if it was a glitch, or something that was supposed to be a spooky happenstance, but, yeah.

NPCs bring that up in generic dialogue, so probably not a bug.

Last edited:
After 52 hours in 3 days (I've lost control of my life) I finished it and I must say I'm a bit disappointed.

So obviously the main story doesn't matter; it's Dragon's Dogma after all, but while the first put used that to further its actual story with the Duke being an impostor who sucks and the world not caring, DD2... doesn't?

The actual DD2 story (who seems to have a slightly different cosmology than the first) is that after too many cycles with the world ending, basically god (the pathfinder/watcher) decided to have the world matter by it being a story and... just watches. Which means that in order for you to rebel, they made it super unsatisfying (the 3 credits fakeout were nice though). Unfortunately, that payoff isn't worth the rest being meh. Now, to be fair, it can be that bits were missing and buggy because my god is that game not polished, especially near the end. Like, the fake Sovran fight lasted literally 2 seconds for me, not because I insta gibbed everyone, but because it started then instantly cut for a cutscene where Grigori interrupts and that was it.

Also, like most of the scenes near the end just... happened with no explanation or connection? Like my pawn can control a giant mecha by turning to blood and entering its eye? Neat. She's a dragon now? Cool. Aaaaaand the game's done.

I feel like they wanted to do something with pawns gaining independance between the repetition of "will will will wiiiiiiill" all throughout the game and the dragonrage affliction which is supposed to basically make them actual people, but either I missed something or it was buggy and didn't work. Also the start made me think we'd play a pawn that gained independance and I was very disappointed that we were just a generic amnesiac with no link to anyone. Also my god, make them shut the fuck up. It's even worse than in DD1 and this time it's not useful. For all that we meme with "WOLVES HUNT IN PACKS" and "THEY HATE ICE AND FIRE BOTH" those calls were useful in letting you know how to deal with monsters. Now they just repeat the same inane shit that has no bearing on gameplay and complain as soon as you try exploring in a game where you don't really have anything else.

So after you tell God his story sucks and that he needs a Beta, he tells you don't like don't read and takes the sea and goes home, which puts you in the post game. In it, you're supposed to do a whole exodus to some place that's safer, which just ends up being talking to people twice, next to portacrystals so you don't actually need to interact with the world. Which is kind of anticlimactic.

Also, everybody tells you to hurry because the world is ending so I did and then the game ended somehow. No idea why but I killed three dragons and then the sky was fine and water was back and the brine had fucked off.

Also, it finishes with the watcher being "more stories will be told but I won't be here to see them oh nyooooooo" and given how unsatisfying everything was, I did an NG+ to see if you got an actual story without him mindfucking everyone so everything goes your way, but he's still here so no, this is just what you get.

But the thing that annoys me the most is that I don't know if it's supposed to be that way or if it's just an unfinished mess and I don't know which is worse...

If they do a few polish patches, the combat will be fucking amazing, though so that's it at least. Same thing as DMC5, great gameplay but fucky lore and disappointing story.

Ah, and there's no everfall/BBI style dungeons so I hope you like randomly being jumped by goblins while walking in the forest because that's it.

Also why can't the Sphinx be my beloved, she's the character I bonded with the most (and she totally gave me a ring so it's mutual u.u). (now to be fair Wilhelmina is great and a woman stabbing someone for revenge is very hot. Sadly the game did a dragon's dogma and I got a lady with no romance quest as my beloved of course. At least this time she wasn't Selene...)

Also, don't play magick archer if you want to enjoy the bosses, the maister skill can one shot Grigori and the class just generally trivializes everything.

Last edited:
If 5 is average then this game is a solid 7 or 8.

Performance is bad. Microtransactions in a 70 dollar single player game. Fuck off. Story is too short and also not good. Enemy variety sucks and is about on par if not slightly below the prequel which was released more than a decade ago.

Combat is actually pretty fun until you hit that difficulty sinkhole and nothing really challenges you anymore so killing goblin or saurians for the 50th time is just boring.

Pawn system is pretty great, really cool. The bones of a fantastic game is there. It simply lacks much of the meat. I never played the first game but the sentiment that this feeling like a remake with good and bad stuff from the first game untouched fills me with not much confidence.

I think people are gonna dislike the game more the further they go into it.

Honestly I'll probably wait for at least the performance patch, because watching streamers play, the frame drops in cities are very noticeable even through the several layers between the actual game and how I see it on Youtube. Given my older CPU, it's likely to be much more of an issue for me.

As in, a streamer had a monster or something invade the city and kill a bunch of NPCs, and suddenly the framerate became very smooth. So the "kill non-essential NPCs for performance boost" thing apparently works, but I feel is not the intended way to solve that issue.

Pawn chatter does seem to be quite RNG-dependent, based on two of the streamers: the aforementioned Biboo (more properly Bijou Koseki from Hololive), playing in English, has her Pawn provide a wide variety of lines, most of which are interesting and funny.

Meanwhile, Ririka Ichijou (also from Hololive) is playing in Japanese, and her Pawn lines repeat a lot. I don't know if this is due to RNG, localization differences, or differences in playstyle (Biboo is going for meme content, Ririka is taking the game more seriously).

Combat still looks amazing, although I haven't seen any gameplay of the more advanced/unique vocations yet. So I can believe the high scores are based entirely on combat encounters. Which I think is the selling point of Dragon's Dogma, so fair enough.

I wonder if there's going to be a Dark Arisen equivalent expansion. Dark Arisen provided a lot of game balance changes, as well as QoL features like having more than one Portcrystal ever before New Game Plus, much less the Eternal Ferrystone. The microstransaction Portcrystal would have been a major benefit if applied to base DD1, while also being "not important, easily obtainable in-game" if applied to DDDA. I don't know how DD2 does it.

Performance: I honestly don't notice any poor performance, but that might be my high tolerance for it from years and years of old computers.
Bugs: Rare, but happen, usually reload solves them, or just ignoring them if it is just a monster stuck in the mountain side.
Micro transactions: Hate them. They should not be there. But they are the basic same ones we had in Dragon's Dogma, and you can get everything in game anyway (i have 10k rift crystals, and nothing to spend them on (i did buy couple glasses for me and my pawn earlier), at least for now). If we downgrade DG2 score for having micro transactions, we need to do so to almost all games these days, so i'm not that pissed at DG2 in specific.

Pawns: Smarter than they were, still bloody idiots incapable of navigating a straight corridor.
Combat: Great in general, but too many small monster groups too close together.
Story: Have not finished (guessing half or two thirds in, could be wrong), but i have enjoyed the writing so far.
Graphics: This game is pretty as fuck.

Complaints: Auto aim needs lot of work, especially for mages/sorcerers (let me decide where to place my tornado/blizzard/earthquake), enemies stagger and stop your actions way too easily (it is near impossible to get a cast of with enemy on you, and even melee can get easily stunlocked).

For people new to the game, possibly solid 7 or 8 out of ten.
For me, who mostly wanted just more Dragon's Dogma, easily a 9 out of 10.
The game delivers.

Always love it when it feels like the pawns are being sassy little assholes.

"That went flawlessly!" one says, while standing at the shore.

"I don't think there's anything that we could have done better." Another says in response.

Meanwhile, I'm clawing at the surface of the water as the Brine horrible kills me.

The pawns are very satisfied with their own efforts in that battle.

On a related note, it seems a lot of people aren't changing their pawn's vocations, from what I've seen from the rift. Most of them have mastered one vocation and are stuck there.

At level 33, both my pawn and myself are on their third vocation, and I'm swapping basically as soon as I reach level 9 each time.

I find it a bit odd, personally, but maybe I'm the weird one.

(It is prettt expensive swapping gear for each new class, though, so maybe people are waiting for NG+ or easier money making?)

Changing vocations is a hassle, so i generally leave it for when i have nothing else i want to be doing.
I like playing sorcerer, and having my pawn by a mage, so that is what we are (both of us have mage and sorcerer maxed for augments though).
Once i hit endgame, or new game+, i will max out all the vocations, but there is no burning need to do so when i don't need the augments from other vocations for my build.

edit-
Saw Jim Sterling's video about Dragon's Dogma 2.
Ooof, so much misinformation, genuinely wondering if they did any research for the video.
I'm hoping they did not, becausethe other option is they decided to literally lie.

Last edited:
On a related note, it seems a lot of people aren't changing their pawn's vocations, from what I've seen from the rift. Most of them have mastered one vocation and are stuck there.

At level 33, both my pawn and myself are on their third vocation, and I'm swapping basically as soon as I reach level 9 each time.

I find it a bit odd, personally, but maybe I'm the weird one.

(It is prettt expensive swapping gear for each new class, though, so maybe people are waiting for NG+ or easier money making?)

If it's anything like the first game, part of my own reluctance to swap vocations too much is indeed the hassle. I have to swap to a Main Pawn vocation that has to complement my Arisen's vocation, and provide gear that will hopefully still be useful despite being hand-me-downs from several levels ago. Then I have to go train up the vocation ranks and Discipline Points for the Main Pawn, which can be a bit of a grind, especially since I have to trek back to the NPC skill trainer every time, just so my Main Pawn isn't stuck fighting an Ogre with only the level one vocation rank skills.

Alternately, I could leave my Main Pawn as a generally useful vocation (for DD1/DDDA, I like Pawn Fighter for the tankiness), and apart from dipping into a few other vocations for the augments, I don't need to worry about the rest of it.

I could plan out the vocation changes and optimize my Main Pawn, but honestly it started to feel too much like spreadsheets, when I just want to hunt Chimeras.

At least the vocation training has gotten lot better thanks to vocation specific stats, so no longer need to worry about levelling at the wrong time.

Back