2 DRAGONS 2 DOGMA

Changing vocations is a hassle, so i generally leave it for when i have nothing else i want to be doing.
I like playing sorcerer, and having my pawn by a mage, so that is what we are (both of us have mage and sorcerer maxed for augments though).
Once i hit endgame, or new game+, i will max out all the vocations, but there is no burning need to do so when i don't need the augments from other vocations for my build.

If it's anything like the first game, part of my own reluctance to swap vocations too much is indeed the hassle. I have to swap to a Main Pawn vocation that has to complement my Arisen's vocation, and provide gear that will hopefully still be useful despite being hand-me-downs from several levels ago. Then I have to go train up the vocation ranks and Discipline Points for the Main Pawn, which can be a bit of a grind, especially since I have to trek back to the NPC skill trainer every time, just so my Main Pawn isn't stuck fighting an Ogre with only the level one vocation rank skills.

Alternately, I could leave my Main Pawn as a generally useful vocation (for DD1/DDDA, I like Pawn Fighter for the tankiness), and apart from dipping into a few other vocations for the augments, I don't need to worry about the rest of it.

I could plan out the vocation changes and optimize my Main Pawn, but honestly it started to feel too much like spreadsheets, when I just want to hunt Chimeras.

I guess that all makes sense. I just really don't like the feeling of "wasted" vocation points.

I also like experimenting and seeing what other playstyles are like. I've also gotten pretty lucky when it comes to drops, as in, I've gotten some fairly impressive weapon drops (for my level) and that motivated me to switch vocations. (Picking up weapons that are 200 damage over what I'd normally be able to purchase.) That's one reason I try to make sure I always have a thief available in my party, for the occasional rare loot. I'm also planning on saving Thief for one of my last classes, since it seems like it'll be a good fit and I'll want to be able to splurge for it.

(Though, switching away from mage and sorcerer is a bit painful, since I miss using my levitation and ice spell for traversal.)

But on the other hand I am basically straddling the line of destitution all the time. ("You're the Arisen. How can you not have 2000 gold for a trip to the inn?" "They're... the economy is in shambles."

(Though, getting to rank 4 or so in any given vocation is mostly easy enough that I tend to do that in one trip through the countryside, and then get all the upgrades in one go.)

It is amazing how many arisens seem to not have realised how effective casting spells is when you're a sorcerer. :V

I had a pawn say it after being the one to do it. I was literally getting mauled by wolves at the time.

I'd probably expect it as appropriate payback for all the times in DD1 when I cross a river without problems, and hear shouts from behind me going "I'm drenched!"

To which I always think "skill issue tbh".

Back