WI: The 90s never ended?

Snow Crash is definitely a highly influential work in cyberpunk (I especially should seriously include skate culture, now with hoverboards) but personally I'm a little put off by Stephenson since well he can be kind of a creep (in his books anyway, no idea about him in real life), though I'm told Snow Crash is nowhere near as bad as say Cryptonomicon in that case. You're definitely not the first person I know though who's said Snow Crash is the only Stephenson book they're into (Goodreads critic J.G. Keely for instance).
Oh, he's mega-creepy not only to the same degree but in largely the same way as Piers Anthony and George R. R. Martin vis-à-vis the obsession with underaged characters having sex.

For me, he and Snow Crash are a lot like Gibson and Neuromancer: you read it if you're interested in the genre/aesthetic because it's a seminal work, but ignore the rest of their novels because they're an assortment of garbage. Gibson at least is unreadable mostly because he's boring rather than skeevy. I will damn Snow Crash with faint praise and say that the creepy part was only a couple scenes relatively late in the story that can be pretty quickly skimmed over, and it doesn't really intrude on the rest of the narrative.

Another thing that was near typical of especially the early 90s (due the success of TMNT) were those cartoon series with mutant heroes (80s series usually had them as villains), and related things like Attack Pack (think mutant transformers). Very relatedly, Transformers also went Beast Wars in the 90s. They also had a stronger environmentalist note than TNMT, though the biggest example of that was Captain Planet. Also similarly related, the gross-out-humor of 90s toys.

90s also was the golden age of miniature playsets like Micro Machines, Mighty Max and Polly Pocket (and those Hot Wheels Trucks).
Nowadays, allmost all of these niches have been taken over by LEGO.

IMO it would be really fitting to have real mutant uplifts in the 2090s era. Difficulty is just finding a good explanation. Maybe autonoumous drones never took off to the same degree they did OTL (partially a side effect of having many smaller companies), and there was some breakthrough in genetic engineering that somehow made it cost efficient (if we go by 90s Media, Aliens). Splicers of various stripes are more a 2000s thing in OTL Media and I could see some Mutant Chic (think Che Guevara t-shirt, but it's a chimeric graft e.g. "naturally" green hair or prehensile tail) being a thing in the ITL 3000s - 3010s.
The funny thing about this is that I once seriously considered running a Street Sharks Quest, albeit with a completely different cast (well until I eventually folded my ideas for it into my other idea for a Hawaiian Magical Girl story). But yeah, definitely interested in incorporating animal-themed bio-engineering into this setting, or human-themed bio-engineering in the case of animals. The 90s from what I've found was when Furries started being a Thing, though the whole media frenzy over them I don't think seriously started till the '00s.

This is more story thing than a setting thing, but I'm kinda undecided over whether to go for a 'teen rebel' girl or a rich 'mean girl' archetype for a protagonist. The former was what I thought of first and would fit the 'outcast in paradise' tone I'm going for more, but I feel the latter would offer more opportunity for character development as she transitions from being spoiled and materialistic to gaining awareness of just how bad this society secretly is, becoming the enemy of the people she once took comfort in. Either way the other would still feature as a prominent secondary character.

This is more story thing than a setting thing, but I'm kinda undecided over whether to go for a 'teen rebel' girl or a rich 'mean girl' archetype for a protagonist. The former was what I thought of first and would fit the 'outcast in paradise' tone I'm going for more, but I feel the latter would offer more opportunity for character development as she transitions from being spoiled and materialistic to gaining awareness of just how bad this society secretly is, becoming the enemy of the people she once took comfort in. Either way the other would still feature as a prominent secondary character.
Why not both? Do a rich, but isolated, girl who who stumbles across the reality of the rot in her society early on and chooses to rebel against it. Maybe feature some Eye-Opening Trauma...

Should point out that there was a /tg/ thread all about 90s culture from a few years back, though being 4chan be warned that it features complaining feminism and 'both sides'-ing against the right and the left (but mostly the left). Does remind me that I ought to watch Hackers someday, if mainly for the historic value.

Since talk about various parts of the world (like Japan and Russia) has come up, I thought I should fill in what I know about '90s Australia. I definitely remember the build up to the Sydney Olympic Games, which like most Olympics was apparently not without controversy (there's a song by The Whitlams called 'You Gotta Love This City', where a Sydneysider commits suicide after, among other things, remembering Sydney's hosting the Games). There was also the '96 Port Arthur Massacre, a spree-shooting which got the government to implement much tighter gun control, despite the right-wing being in power at the time. Vietnamese-Australians were that decade's demonised minority, like Lebanese were in the '00s and African-Australians are today. Um yeah, says a lot about where I live that most of what I know is the bad stuff... We had Savage Garden?

About the idea of having a cyber-Cher Horowitz as a main character, I'm now imagining how your typical 90s teen flick makeover plot (a trope I'm otherwise glad to leave in the past) would play out in a setting where bio-engineering, cybernetic implants and even nanotech is hip and trendy?
That brings me one definite difference between high school then and today, in that could the 90s have imagined a time when the computer-savvy would be the 'cool kids' in school? The whole 'cool nerd' didn't begin till about the mid-to-late '00s, when Apple came back into prominence and computer literacy became more and more a necessity.

That 90s future timeline is certainly in-depth (much lengthier a read than I expected), though it also goes for mega-corporations than the more scatted 'internet wild west' thing that's been brought up here.

I found this article here 'The ways people described computers in the 1990s are hilarious' which along with describing the culture at the time (and, er, how goofy it was), could also a cool source of world design ideas, like surfboards/skateboards that look like computer keyboards, literal 'information superhighways' and giant phones as towers.

Was also thinking about weapons, guns and otherwise, in this world, and thought I could draw inspiration from the wackier guns you'd see in FPSes of the time, like the Half-Life Gluon Gun, Duke Nukem's Shrink Ray or Blood's Phantasm Balls,along with laser/plasma longbows and crossbows. For melee weapons I've been thinking so far of your average lightsaber-clones, but whose light is maybe more pixelated around the edges.

Since analog vs digital has been mentioned here, I'm wondering if there's any examples of what I guess you'd call 'analogpunk' or 'analog futurism' in fiction? There's enough stories out there that it ought've popped up somewhere.

For melee weapons I've been thinking so far of your average lightsaber-clones, but whose light is maybe more pixelated around the edges.
Maybe they don't burn through things, but create spacial distortions, which also result in rather pixelated blood when you cut someone with it.
They can tear through any solid matter but get blocked by other spacial distortions.

Since analog vs digital has been mentioned here, I'm wondering if there's any examples of what I guess you'd call 'analogpunk' or 'analog futurism' in fiction? There's enough stories out there that it ought've popped up somewhere.
You want analog? Tapes are back in fashion, baby. The article describes tape with something like 201 gig per square inch; the library they (Sony and IBM) created was 330 TB. Maybe I'm nuts but I feel like the aesthetic writes itself from here. Every 'phone' or whatever they have in place of smartphones is basically a pimped-out Walkman. Hell, maybe they call em', I dunno "ScreenMan" or "PhoneMan" or "BrickMan". On Venus (if we're still doing that) you have to connect an extendable antenna module to access the satellite-enabled Net, because even at floaty-city level Venus's atmosphere stops an integrated antenna's signals dead in their tracks. If you're not a 'boarder', who literally uses their VR deck as a skateboard, you're a 'phoner zoner' or something equally stupid.

Meanwhile, your weapon of choice is what looks like a TNG Phaser had a bastard son with a TV remote - a TakaraTech 'Heat Application Tool', or a hand maser. Scaled down from the truck-sized ones of today, they beam microwaves at such a frequency that they make the victim feel like their skin is literally on fire. Cheaper and less lethal than guns, maybe a little more sadistic, especially if you're one of those motherfuckers who aims for the head with a pimped-out home-modded capacitor, the kind that makes your foe's eyeballs swell up and pop.

Okay, let's keep going - uh, I vaguely remember Bubblegum Crisis 2040 (which is, despite claims to the contrary, a very, very bad anime, especially compared to the excellence that was the 1980's original) having this mall kiosk thingy where you could insert a magazine into some sort of printer machine, and you'd get the latest issue in its place. Not like a lending library, more like it magically overlaid one magazine with another. Bullshit nanotech, maybe. Combine a home version of that with a newspaper fax and you've got the last paper device in the average household.

I've been trying to think what 'Generation X, but in the future' would be like (other than, y'know, apathetic about it). Usually generations are divided not just by year date, but also by cultural event or zeitgeist, e.g. Veterans by WWII, Boomers by the Woodstock Era, Millennials by the rise of the Internet and Zoomers by growing up with the Internet as the norm. Gen X (usually listed as born between 1965 to the end of the 70s, sometimes extended to 1984), could maybe be defined by something like the collapse of the Berlin Wall, or the pre-internet rise of everything 'alternative', but from what I've heard they seem to overall have be defined by the lack of a cultural event or purpose, hence all the apathy and irony. There's a Chapo Trap House segment going into the Gen X that could maybe offer insight (it's about 27 minutes long):

I suppose this hypothetical 'future Gen X' (I snickered at the thought of calling them 'Gen XXX', which is probably a very Gen X joke) might be defined by a cultural feeling of 'sci-fi status', in that science and technology have progressed as far as it can. Sorta like the impression people had around the end of the 19th century, before people like Einstein and concepts like quantum physics came along.

Also, thought I'd go over the RPG-style Stats and the Skills they govern in this setting, since I do think they may provide more insight into what life is in this setting or how people get by. That said, let me know if you think anything is missing given what we've discussed:
Attack
Laser - Melee - Non-Lethal - Plasma - Ranged - Unarmed
Computing
Decryption - Holograms - Pilot (covers larger vehicles) - Programming - Quantum - Robotics (covers hardware) - Viruses
Charisma
Avatar (online interaction) - Expression (physical interaction) - Finance - Networking (A.I. interaction) - Neurology (mind augments)
Endurance
Biology (surgical augments) - Cybernetics (augments) - Blocking - Elements (handling temperature, hot or cold) - Medical - Nanotech (nanite augments)
Security
Antivirus - Encryption - Firewall - Patching (medical for computers) - Radar
Speed
Balance (covers smaller vehicles like skateboards) - Climbing - Dodging - Gravity (moving when light or heavy) - Jumping - Running - Typing

Have you thought of a ruleset for the setting? FATE would work very well if you use the Stats as Skills.

In regards me asking earlier about whether 'analogpunk' was a thing, I'd actually completely forgotten about a TV Tropes page called Cassette Futurism (it even brings up Yahtzee's "DOSPunk" name). I guess a 90s-modelled future would fall at the very tail-end of the era this trope covers though.
That page also mentions the /tg/ setting Modempunk (which I think I'd heard about before), which was made with the 80s in mind but is said to work for any 'early computer age' setting (or in our case, futuristic setting inspired by an early computer age's setting idea of a futuristic setting) and has Hackers as a main inspiration (though as it's a 4chan-made setting, might want to be a bit cautious before delving in).

I've talked a little bit about characters but not really at all about plots (which I guess makes sense, since this is a setting thread). I've thought an Inciting Incident could be the heroine(s) finding out about a corporation mass-installing mind-control software into all their employees' cyber-mods to prevent any potential uprisings, but I'm not sure how often this sort of plot has been done. Then again I suppose with speculative fiction like this the question is less "Is it original?" but rather "Is it still relevant?".

I've thought an Inciting Incident could be the heroine(s) finding out about a corporation mass-installing mind-control software into all their employees' cyber-mods to prevent any potential uprisings, but I'm not sure how often this sort of plot has been done. Then again I suppose with speculative fiction like this the question is less "Is it original?" but rather "Is it still relevant?".
It was done in Shadowrun a few times. The Stolen Souls arc (5th Edition) was rather interesting.

I've thought an Inciting Incident could be the heroine(s) finding out about a corporation mass-installing mind-control software into all their employees' cyber-mods to prevent any potential uprisings, but I'm not sure how often this sort of plot has been done. Then again I suppose with speculative fiction like this the question is less "Is it original?" but rather "Is it still relevant?".
There are better, creepier ways to manipulate people just by saturating them with disinformation - think about the Trump election and Cambridge Analytica and all that stuff - lie enough and the lie isn't dispelled easily, etc. But then again, that cynical take on global communications is uniquely a 2010's / 20's phenomenon, and may not be in line with the digi-optimism of the early internet. Information Wants to be Free and other crap like that.

Regardless of whether it suits the philosophical aesthetic, though, I gotta admit I'm not really sold on it - not because it's unoriginal, but because it feels too 80's cyberpunk-y, too dependent on sinister megacorps and the salarimen that keep them moving, which you've said was not a way of structuring the 2090's economy you were going with.

Off the top of my head: Aliens. Refugee aliens dodging the Men in Black, who are the shadow-government patsies of an interstellar civilization which intends to outsource most of its labor to humanity as multinational companies intended to outsource to China. Trillions of dollars of labor and effort and products all generated to undercut the labor of newly self-aware alien AI's who want labor rights. Or something really weird and absurd like that, where humanity is still a third-string civilization, and the first-rate civilizations (lead by a giant brain spaceship whose speech patterns suspiciously resemble those of Ronald Reagan) intend to keep it that way for their own ends, as they have thousands of other species. Heroines meet aliens, take on aliens as symbiotes, must battle the MIB using newfound psychic powers and cool skater duds.

Or: Time Travelers from a specific future where the 90's still doesn't end seek to 'develop' the past itself, buy and sell with third-world timelines now that they've run out of places to develop over on their end. The world's factories literally undercutting their alternate-future selves, things like that.

Admittedly I didn't really plan for aliens (except Venusians, but even they're of Earth descent) or time-travel, mainly because the cyberpunk genre, at least the works I'm familiar with, usually doesn't feature either of them (well I guess there's Jenova in FFVII). That said, on reflection aliens were pretty big in 90s pop culture, what with Independence Day and Men In Black. Both your story ideas do sound pretty good, especially since you said they were off the top of your head, I just feel like aliens and time travel a bit out of left-field compared to what we've been discussing. Outsourcing, gentrification and refugees though do sound like they could be good ideas.

Megacorps would still exist in this setting, but they'd all be of industries that existed before the internet (e.g. Oil and TV), while the internet-specific ones would be all scattershot and Wild West-y (I wouldn't use the word 'anarchic' though, as a lot of people seem to think it means 'chaotic' or 'every man for himself' when it doesn't).
So I was thinking maybe I should go for more of a 'gang warfare' (e.g. the 90s were the heyday of the Russian mafia) story instead of megacorps, with the Venus skycities having been bought up by all the mafias instead of the megacorps, bribing the US government to focus their 'tough on cyber-crime' policy on low-level grassroots hackers instead of the big leagues, and the mom-and-pop Internet stores being preyed on by them. A mafia story could also work with my 'Cher Horowitz turned freedom fighter' idea, as she could realise exactly what her family's business actually is.

A big thing that is extremely overlooked with a no 9/11 events are the kind of movements that were taking place around the turn of millenium that were almost completely forgotten about in the wake of the War on Terror. The Battle of Seattle was a big thing that was actually successful in disrupting the WTO in 1999 and at the height of the "global-justice"/alterglobalization movements, around 1999-2001, it was actually hard for major international financial institutions such as the G7 or World Bank to hold meetings without facing/causing significant unrest. So you could have a concept about where that could go from there. In any case, the actual post-1991 End of History phase proper was very short-lived and put paid to by both events such as the Rwandan genocide and Yugoslav Wars before even that or 9/11 could take place, so you could be very creative in how things develop from there.

You could have it express instead as a cyberterrorist attack that put paid to the centralization of web services and culture that started happening in the late 00s. The highly disseminated wild-west nature of the '90s internet is one of the defining characteristics of the decade. Combine that with a lack of streamlined "gloss" tech and you've got a very 90s-punk aesthetic. There's no Google, no Amazon, no Apple, no Facebook; Youtube is one of a few dozen video sharing sites; IRC and classic forums are still the normal mode of casual online communication. Basically, have there be a strong cultural and technological impetus for services and technology to remain distributed, practical, less megacorp and more cottage industry.

Toss in a little Luddite sentiment and greater reliance on analog technology where possible, a world chafing under American exceptionalism and hegemony rather than America chafing under the burden of twenty years of pointless war; an American government which is more authoritarian and prone to overreach than OTL because of its inability to control what happens in its own electronic backyard being the principle security issue rather than external threats which, however nebulous, are at least containable, with the accompanying increased civil unrest you'd expect. A much sharper U.S. response to Chinese ewar efforts, too, including anti-censorship attacks.

Basically, a world where the U.S. is on the brink of balkanizing, China on the brink of a popular uprising, the rest of the world is nominally at peace but rumbling, there are no megacorporations even on the level of OTL ones, a whole lot more cottage-industry tech work, and a more developed space industry. A cyberpunk world with a foundation of poorly-concealed anarchy rather than autocracy.

On the one hand, the differently structured internet is defintely something that I think deserves to be explored more paired with other sociopolitical factors going on, but I should point out that the multinational conglomerate is hardly something that was born out of the 2000s, and dates back way further than that, I think what's more likely is that Silicon Valley companies aren't destroyed entirely but rather significantly set back in a way that puts them on a more even footing with hobbyists and smaller-scale or open source projects even as technological capabilities advance - so something more askin to an old-school cyberpunk vision that was commonplace in the 1980s and 90s.

Talking about a cyber-terrorist attack as a way to keep the Internet in its 90s 'Wild West' phase, this video (which otherwise isn't related to the 90s specifically) got me thinking about the impact of a full-on cyber war, especially if any of the old-school cyberpunk stories foresaw such a thing:

Mind you, from the description of a cyber war, it sounds like it'd do more than just scare people off the Internet, but rather revert us all back to the Middle Ages. It does make me wonder about a world where advanced cyber-attacks could make even guns obsolete (especially since many people would be cybernetically augmented by now).

Also about villains, while we've talked about the mafia and mega-corporations (still around, even if the Internet right now has escaped their influence), I don't think we've addressed cults yet, like the Branch Davidians, Heaven's Gate or Aum Shinrikyo. Space travel having advanced could alter cults like the latter two, while Aum Shinrikyo claiming inspiration from works like Asimov's Foundation or Space Battleship Yamato/Runaway Ideon (forget which one), keyword there claiming, could serve as basis for a cult claiming inspiration from 90s sci-fi (...oh wait, that would be MRAs).

A new Brutalmoose video came out yesterday, recap-reviewing the 1999 Disney TV movie Zenon: Girl of the 21st Century. While no classic, it instantly reminded me of this thread as it encapsulates the 'what the 90s thought the future would be like' (or rather, 90s kids' movies) aesthetic we've been talking about. Same goes for Smart House, a Disney TV Movie from the same year Brutalmoose has also talked about, though Zenon even more so:

Some random points:

1) The 90s was the height of the militia movement in the USA. You still had the crazy militia guys afterwards, especially under the Obama Presidency, but they hadn't quite the same cultural impact then as in the 90s. I always found it funny how Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, a strategy game of seven warring ideological faction, had one faction whose entire ideology shtick was basically, well... guns. Really, not much of an ideology at all. I only later learned that this was just the game being very 90s: The Spartans were basically the representation of the militia movement.

2) I think 90s culture was in many ways not only more commercialized than what came before, but also what came after. The height of the "synthetic boyband" wave was in fact during the 90s. There also was a much more materialistic mindset to buying clothes. I remember reading about several studies saying how valuing expensive clothing had gone down in the 00s, that people would rather pay for vacations and club nights, and instead shopped at the ultra-cheap clothing stores that sprung up (tellingly) during the 00s - whereas during the 90s, clothing was often valued in particular for their price. So it seems to me the 90s, and especially 90s pop culture and youth culture, were overall more commercialized-materialistic than succeeding decades.

90s youth were the height of consumerist conformism, basically :V

3) The Yugoslav Wars took place in the 90s, but also the period of Russian instability. It was just sort of accepted that Russia was constantly unstable - with a drunk and irresponsible President, horrible losses in life expectancy, and a decaying military, that nonethless still had nukes. The "missing Soviet bomb" became an instantly overplayed trope. At the same, noveau rich Russians first appeared in London and the Côte d'Azur, further leading to stereotypization.

Last edited:
2) I think 90s culture was in many ways not only more commercialized than what came before, but also what came after. The height of the "synthetic boyband" wave was in fact during the 90s. There also was a much more materialistic mindset to buying clothes. I remember reading about several studies saying how valuing expensive clothing had gone down in the 00s, that people would rather pay for vacations and club nights, and instead shopped at the ultra-cheap clothing stores that sprung up (tellingly) during the 00s - whereas during the 90s, clothing was often valued in particular for their price. So it seems to me the 90s, and especially 90s pop culture and youth culture, were overall more commercialized-materialistic than succeeding decades.

90s youth were the height of consumerist conformism, basically :V
You know what I just realized is going to feel like a particularly dated version of consumerism, such that one could work it into an 'lol 90's' sort of story? Malls.

Okay, it's kind of obvious. Vaporwave has an entire subgenre dedicated to tracks that sound like mall ambience, all echo-y and interspersed with "I'm gonna take my laptop, and put it over there", you know what I mean. But that doesn't take away from the fact that we shop on Amazon now, instead of going to the mall, parking the car, going into the building, wandering around, etc. We just - click. It's less about the experience, which is what I feel like malls were / are supposed to emphasize, a sort of twisted commodified version of the Roman Forum, and more about getting the damn thing and having it.

(I remember the Cyberpunk 2020 Night City Sourcebook had an entire district that was one bigass mall hooked up to an apartment complex like a mini-arcology. It feels so dated now but it must have felt weirdly prescient at the time.)

Perfect, too, for the minimalist, stripped-down aesthetic that permeates our virtual worlds in contrast to the blingy, if not outright baroque UI's of old websites and kludged-together HTML. We've gone from a mindset of abundance, running victory laps around the Russians because we won, and to an ethic of austerity where we have to cut back on every excess if we want to survive, much less thrive. Capitalism has stopped promising us things, and started threatening us with a lack of things.

So, uh, yeah. I started writing this post about malls and then got into the ethos of capitalism in different eras. I guess that gets back to the question of initial tone. Ooh, maybe the local Venusians just triumphed over the collapsing authoritarian Martian Empire, and everyone is left kinda reeling, wondering 'what now?' Earth is sort of the Third World that Venus and Mars were fighting over, and now it's going to be 'redeveloped'? That way one could have history progress, but end up right where it started, at its supposed end, with there thus appearing to be no historical motion at all.

Then - then - the inciting incident is a financial crisis. Either a dotcom-bubble sort (new technology turns out to be mostly hooey) or a 2001 sort (major terrorist attack / similar crisis scares the bejeezus out of everybody, shatters illusions of stability), or even an '08 housing crisis sort (promises of new prosperity turn out to be built on grift dressed up as legitimate business). Either way the point is that the system the protags have grown up under, thought would last forever, is no longer a gauranteed thing. You'd just have to make it happen in the middle of the story, instead of before it (the way Ghost in the Shell SAC_2045 placed its financial crisis before the story, so one of the most iconic cyberpunk franchises out there just ends up feeling kinda post-apocalyptic).

Whoo! Man, I missed this thread.

Edit: I just remembered that I reread Snow Crash a few weeks back! How about that. Plenty of idiosyncratic bits about the setting, like the whole burb-clave system where the Mafia are a corporate neofeudal empire sort of thing (man, remember when the mafia was awesome fodder for fiction? Feel like that stopped with The Sopranos), or the fact that Hiro's roomie is a rockstar (for in our timeline, rock n' roll has gone underground, died a silent death, replaced with SoundCloud rappers who get high on cough syrup and Sprite), or the ol' 'hijacked Russian nuclear sub' thing that basically makes Raven the biggest badass in the book. I forgot how over-the-top the book is, and how different it feels, in its prose and in its obsessions (gatling railguns, The Raft, the nuclear-powered guard dogs), than Stephenson's other books, where everything feels a bit more straight-laced and less indulgent.
(Did it have something to do with the fact that Stephenson originally planned to write the book as a graphic novel with another guy by the name of Tony Sheeder, a CGI-based one at that? Who knows.)
Snow Crash's fundamental obsession with language, information, viruses, Sumerian, though, that shit's classic Stephenson. Reminds me of Julian Jaynes' bicameral mind theory to an uncanny degree. I wonder - would it be worth it to try to work in some stuff about the bicameral mind or something similar into the hypothetical story this thread is about? Get a little transhuman / postcyberpunk-y? Sea changes in consciousness itself brought about by the 'Net'? It might end up too close to Ghost in the Shell, but that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing...

Okay I'll shut up now.

Last edited:
About the 90s and consumerist conformity, even though I wasn't even ten when the 90s ended, I always sort of associated the decade (at least towards the beginning) with counterculture and anti-conformity (think Nirvana, RATM, Daria, or less charitably Reality Bites). Though it could also be argued that in the 90s, counterculture stopped being counter and anti-conformity became conformity ("Alternative to What?!" was a common phrase heard back then), e.g. flannel and pre-torn jeans on the catwalk. On Russia, from memory I do think I briefly mentioned the Russian mafia/Bratva earlier in this thread, since the Yeltsin 90s was their and the Russian oligarchy's heyday.

While I didn't have any plans to include Mars in my own story (...which I admit is odd in hindsight, since if Venus of all places can be colonised you'd think at least Mars would be), I do admit for the returned zeitgeist to work there should probably be some now-fallen USSR equivalent, and I should definitely take note of the idea of having a decade-dividing crisis happen around the middle or two-thirds mark (almost a World of Ruin transition, to reference a game from 1994).
I've gotten to thinking of maybe using Earth as a stand-in for all the places going through hell in the 90s, such as the Balkans, Rwanda or Russia, while Venus in this context would symbolise 90s America.

As for malls, I did have the idea of a side-story back on Earth, which'd take place in a skyscraper (working name 'Pharos 90') that doubled as a mega-mall, but after abandonment became inhabited by homeless squatters (one of which being the cybergoth-style main character), criminals organised or otherwise in hiding, and even a doomsday cult or two. The idea was a tower-based dungeon crawl but updated for a cyberpunk/vaporwave setting, or a more 90s-commenting BioShock or even Fallout (though the rest of the world isn't post-apocalyptic).

Lastly, as I'm posting YT videos I was watching this again earlier today, and thought it could fit fine here:

By the way this is more an RPG thing than anything else, but I was told on Discord that my ACCESS (Attack-Computing-Charisma-Endurance-Security-Speed) Stats could be reworked to just merge Computing and Security together, since the ability to hack and encrypt aren't that separate from each other, so I'm told. I'm concerned though about putting all the Computer stuff under the one Stat for balance reasons, especially in a setting like this. Someone suggested I could then add an Evaluation/Education Stat, then turn Endurance into Stamina to keep the acronym.

By the way this is more an RPG thing than anything else, but I was told on Discord that my ACCESS (Attack-Computing-Charisma-Endurance-Security-Speed) Stats could be reworked to just merge Computing and Security together, since the ability to hack and encrypt aren't that separate from each other, so I'm told. I'm concerned though about putting all the Computer stuff under the one Stat for balance reasons, especially in a setting like this. Someone suggested I could then add an Evaluation/Education Stat, then turn Endurance into Stamina to keep the acronym.
I would keep Security as a separate stat - and include analog security e.g. fortifications (both how to build them and how to circumvent them). Essentially a Thievery stat that can also be used to defend against thieves, and covers the mental aspects where Attack or Speed cover the physical.

I'm curious here - the 90s were a period of rapid development of grunge and "non-metal". Maybe Kurt Cobain is still alive in this world? Or was there not that case with these rappers Limp Bizkit at Woodstock 2000? Well at least in Norway they still make good metal.

Transhuman Space had a sourcebook dealing the developing and more dangerous parts of the world called Broken Dreams. Basically this was where technology that was obsolete or no longer updated and supported was sold or dumped off, leaning to a variety of rigging and alternate technologies. You even had the Transpacfic Socialist Alliance which basically had the state holding all the intellectual property (developers and creators got a fee or rights to market from the state). So your setting could be one of these cities or countries or even space colonies being built up from all the discards. As for Venus, maybe they are Offplanet banking or medical centers for research or investments that are questionable.

Back