WI: 1961 Washington DC ISOT to 2017

Well, that's a massive number of irreplaceable artifacts gone forever with the uptime Smithsonian

Wonder how 2017 Ethel Kennedy reacts at being able to talk to Bobby again after 49 years.... and meeting herself 56 years younger.

Thinking about it - it'd be much more fun if the ISOT was by a round 100 years (minus two months or so). Thus no (or very, very few) duplicated people.
So it's Woodrow Wilson on his 2nd inauguration coming over ...
Now, that would get Uptime haters excited :)
Evul! racist so Hate! Hate!
Yet baffled - sweet and cuddly Democrat!
As the 1917 folks would have a 0% acceptance rate I'd venture that issues of legitimacy would be swept aside ...
That's part of why I choose this date is it's within living memory. Wilson trying to assert control of 2017 USA wouldn't work and basically everyone would treat as "Okay everyone in DC is gone).

JFK's in living memory, there are people alive who voted for him, he's not so completely removed from the present that everyone would know he's functionally useless. Which creates uncertainty. . Could he be consider the legitmate president, what about the Supreme Court, do we consider the Warren Court Legitimate?

the legal voting age in 1960 was 21 not 18 so the youngest voters in that election are now 81. I keep seeing that happen in modern fiction - they talk about how a young lady "will be free at 18". Um, no...

That might be correct - age of majority and voting age were not related.
Absolutely. In almost all states, 18-year-olds were adults in every way except for voting (and maybe buying alcohol? I don't know when those restrictions were imposed.)

Sure it's an act of god. But... what is he trying to say? He didn't just remove trump, he removed DC, and he replaced them. What is the message!
The conservative Christian Never-Trumpers were decrying Trump's abysmal morality and saying no Christian should vote for him. (Really - I heard them.) ITTL, they've been endorsed by an unprecedented miracle.

Absolutely. In almost all states, 18-year-olds were adults in every way except for voting (and maybe buying alcohol? I don't know when those restrictions were imposed.)

The conservative Christian Never-Trumpers were decrying Trump's abysmal morality and saying no Christian should vote for him. (Really - I heard them.) ITTL, they've been endorsed by an unprecedented miracle.
Replaced by an infamous philanderer. If the switch is a divine message about Trump, it aint a comment about his family life morality, save perhaps to say that Trump was bad enough for a miracle but sexual infidelity was not the reason for the moravle.

Last edited:
In other news, the DC streetcar system has returned!!

Rejoice!

.....mostly, at least. The outer ends of the Beltsville and Cabin John lines have been cut off. Re-opening the Cabin John line is about three miles of track, with most of the right of way still existant. An additional 1.67 miles would extend the line to the Beltway, perfect for a park-and-ride. 1.7 miles of construction in Rhode Island Avenue would bring the Beltsville line from the DC limits to where it began its private right-of-way, which is still quite intact. It would not be out of the question to reconstruct the line further, although once you get beyond Beltsville, the extension to Laurel starts to get messy.

The Wisconsin Avenue line might also need some work, possibly to tie it into the Metro system at Friendship Heights, if not extending it further.

Speaking of which....

The Metro, on the other hand, is in terrible shape, with the core of the system gone and most of the remnants disconnected from each other.

There's something resembling a functional network in Virginia, where the Silver and Orange lines can be re-routed using maintenance trackage ro run past Arlington Cemetery then turn back out and take over the blue and yellow lines south through Alexandria (though it would mean skipping Rosslyn Station if they want to avoid having to reverse the trains part way through).

On the other side of the Potomac, on the other hand, there are six very detached shuttles. The New Carrollton, Greenbelt, Branch Avenue, and Shady Grove lines have yards attached to them, but the Largo Town Center and Wheaton lines do not. On the other hand, the Wheaton, Greenbelt, New Carrollton, and Shady Grove lines connect to existing railroad corridors, allowing them to retain some form of relevance. The Branch Avenue and Largo Town Center lines are just sort of left hanging.

Also, Washington Union Station has reverted to its original grand waiting room.

Unfortunately, Amtrak has lost a lot of equipment that was in DC for the inauguration crowds. While there is probably actually MORE equipment assembled for the 1961 inauguration, it is all completely incompatible with modern heating, lighting, and plumbing systems.

There is an isolated stretch of the Georgetown Branch sitting detached from the rest of the national railroad network, and there are customers along the line that would rather like to their railroad connection re-opened, thank you very much.

The B&O Metropolitan Division running Northwest out of DC is disconnected due to the Washington Metro have caused it to be slightly re-aligned in the 1970s.

Thousands of railroad employees are now cut off, since all of the companies that they work for have either gone bankrupt or been merged out of existence. The majority of them have also lost their families as a result of this. To top it all off, their skills are largely out of date and are no longer viable.

I know of a lot of people in the republican party who would be likely have switched to the libertarian party if this happened. Although, I doubt he would end up president. I know of a decent chunk of people who like him in the GOP enough that he might have a chance of getting a seat in the house or senate for a GOP state during the next election.

Back