Chapter 1.11
Where the heck am I?

Chapter 1.11

——————————-

After Colony Era: Gundam Wing

The sounds of a giant falling were always loud to anyone watching. It hurt like hell for me as the Tragos crashed into the ground…again.

"Are you okay, Master Chen?" A voice called through my comms. It was Borak Shadid, the Arabic man I had talked with before that meeting a week ago. Now he is my teacher for mobile suit piloting. "You are doing better today as it took you half an hour before losing balance."

"Thank you for the compliment but be honest with me," I said as I directed my mobile suit's hands to lift the Tragos back onto its feet. "I suck at biped mode."

A beep from my radar told me of a Leo walking toward me. Shadid's Aquila was following behind the mobile suit.

"Micheal," Shirin called out from her suit. "You are doing very well for someone who never went through military school or was taught from a young age." Leo's hand pointed in the direction of the new camp. "You might have seen several young mobile suit pilots, but nearly all of them have been studying in military academies since they were fifteen. You are in your thirties and still managed to keep your mobile suit moving well for half an hour."

I turned the Tragos to Shirin's mobile suit and wished the mech had a facial feature so she could see my face. "And how long did you take to master piloting your mobile suit? You took to it like fish to water."

Her Leo was one of those commander variants that had those twin-beam cannons on its shoulders. I was glad that it was something she liked after she received it as an apology gift from Middie.

There was a pause before she replied, sounding a bit distant, "My brother had taught me in his spare time."

Well, foot meets mouth. I glanced at Shadid, whose video call had just appeared on my right, and mouthed, 'What should I say?'

He just shrugged, mouth 'Master Chen, apologized to her,' and ended the training for today on open comms. The man quickly left me to my fate.

"Sorry, Shirin," I said as my Tragos matched her Leo's pace on our way back to camp. "I didn't mean to bring up those memories again. I'm a bit frustrated at my learning speed."

"It's not a problem, Michael," She replied, but I could already tell she was suppressing her emotion. "I have to move on soon. We are nearing the Sanc Kingdom soon to protect it from the Romefeller Foundation."

I could almost hear the steel in her voice. "Okay then. Let's hurry back."

I followed her back to the camp as Shadid stood within the weird radius of my anti-mobile doll field.

————————————————

-Several Hours later-

I signed as I waited for Shirin to get ready again. Tonight was the last night before we arrived at the defense camps set up around the Sanc Kingdom. The hotel room in the city we stayed at was five-star, as there was no way this place was the standard room. I still can't believe Quatre was willing to do this for everyone.

I could see the patrolling mobile suits outside as they waited for any mobile doll attacks.

It was still weird to see so many nations send so much of their military to protect this pacifist kingdom but from my knowledge and the current intel meeting. Their belief had spread and supposedly stopped the Romefeller Foundation from completely controlling all the nations. It helps that their mobile dolls freeze up around the same time Chief Representative Relena was appointed publicly with her Peacecraft surname.

"Whatever sent me here," I muttered. "God damn you. You made Relena look like some supernatural savior for those under attack."

I heard the whispers in the camp that hadn't known my appearance might be the reason for the constant shutdowns those mobile doll units had suffered around us. They were starting to pray to the girl, which was weird.

Still, it took attention away from me and stopped our group from being overwhelmed by those mobile dolls. Hell, some of those Virgos were excellent target practices for me. I had good aim but sucked at my piloting skills in biped mode.

I heard a click from the bathroom and got from the couch. I glanced at myself to ensure my dress shirt and overcoat were on correctly. I quickly checked to ensure my sidearm was in a good spot before I finally turned to see my companion.

Shirin was wearing another navy blue business suit with a matching skirt. I could see where she hid my spare handgun from home. It was a little bold to put that there, but I wasn't going to complain if it protected her.

"Ready for the dinner meeting?" I asked as I adjusted my suit a bit. I wasn't used to wearing this, but I needed it as it was pretty cold here in Germany. What was it again, late September, if I remembered correctly? That would mean only a few more months before the Eve Wars if I didn't somehow butterfly that away.

Shirin smiled slightly before responding with, "Yes, I am ready. I thank you for the advice on how to dress for this." She gestures to her new clothes. It was something Middie had personally helped with, as I didn't want to go into any female clothes store unless my wife was there. I'm willing to be the baggage boy, but I wasn't going to judge the look.

I studied her dress and noticed nothing wrong except the sidearm was showing a bit. Other than that, she looked perfect for a business dinner.

"It looks good on you," I said before pointing at her waist. "However, your gun is showing a bit there. We can get away with it as everyone is ready to in case OZ sends another infantry attack."

That was a surprise a few days ago when it wasn't mobile dolls that attacked us but an infantry company. They died quickly to our foot soldiers, but the new mess had me gaging for a bit. It is one thing to deal with already decaying bodies. It was another to watch someone get shredded in real time and know it was not a movie.

I shook my head at those thoughts and kept walking alongside Shirin. While it was some sort of For par to ask her to walk beside me, I didn't want the only friend I made here sticking behind me like a servant.

"Master Chen," a familiar voice spoke, drawing my attention. It was Shadid, still in uniform but wearing a few medals from his home nation. "Commander Kurama sent me to guide you two to dinner." He said with a slight bow. He turned to the directions we were heading but pointed to a side room.

"We have a few guests who wish to join us on our way to the Sanc Kingdom," Shadid said as we walked. I was interested as everything has changed from my memories of what happened in the After Colony era.

I glanced at Shirin, who shrugged and gestured for me to ask my question. It took me a moment before I remembered their cultural rules. "Do we know who they are?"

Our Mobile Suit teacher paused before coughing in his closed fist. "I believe they are related to Master Winner." Shadid seemed to think for a moment before continuing. "One appears to be a priest of the Christian belief. The other three belong to a traveling circus."

I felt myself stopping as I process his words. They were supposed to be here. They were in another country away from this location if I remembered the fall of the Sanc Kingdom episode. Did my arrival completely invalidate my knowledge?

"Michael?" I came out of my minor freakout as Shirin called my name. "Is there something wrong?"

I gathered my thought on the matter before replying. "I think I'm completely out of my dept now." Our guide had already reached the door and seemed to have not noticed me freezing after his statement. The man opened the doors and moved aside to let us walk through first.

I glanced at my partner and said, "Well, it seems like we will meet even more Gundam pilots." I walked through the doors, and I heard Shirin sputtering before calming herself.

I just hope everything goes well. I want to survive all this and get home in one piece.

Back