A nice mix of responses, from x will pass anyway to x will not get a single vote.

I like Taylor undergoing the same ritual Cordelia did.

That wasn't a threat. I'm not planning to move against Procer. It's just that… time changes everything. Only one of us plans to live forever, Cordelia

I hope Cordelia really ponders this. Taylor just told her of another immortal thousands of years old, far older than nations. Cordeliaa dreams of her nation being stable after her death; Taylor wishes the same, with steady change for her idea of better.

Note also Taylor's easy offer of 'until I abdicate or die when it can be considered again', since she doesn't intend to die at all.

I mean, Cordelia is being 100% hypocritical; the idea that all of Procer is subject to the law is predicated on the laws being absolutely unfair, we've been shown repeatedly that they protect Princes and their privileges to a ridiculous degree, as recently as the last chapter about Cordelia's new ally, Prince Arnaud. She herself absolutely doesn't consider the life and rights of not-noble people to be of equal value as those of the nobility, and if ever there was a county where that line about the law being equal in condemning both the rich and those who are starving for stealing bread was true, it wouldn't be Procer, because there the law condemns the starving for stealing the bread but say to the rich "go ahead, steal it with our compliments".

The Proceran law only operates to regulate the action of princes against each other, and I suspect that, if Cordelia were able to actually poll "each person from the gutters in Iserre to the throne in Salia", she might find that plenty of them will entertain a proposal that brings the Princes to heel.

Taylor might have problems trusting higher authorities and a desire to control them, but in this case she's 100% correct to want to be able to pass judgment upon them. Yes, that power resting in her hands alone isn't exactly good, and it makes sense for others to be skeptical of her good intentions, but we the readers know that her intentions are genuine and that, once she has the power, she'll genuinely look for way to make it something that doesn't belong to only one person, because she doesn't actually plan to run the House of Light forever (to live forever, yes, but she has already considered that she will step down when it's feasible), and she'll know as well as us that it'd not be possible to trust her successor with that much power. But right now, what she's trying to do is the right thing to do.

Last edited:
Gotta say, it's really hard to engage with a setting that is both actively insufferable and literally acausal. As in stuff happens just cuz - no foreshadowing, no past behavior determining future events, JuSt CuZ.

Maybe time to actually build up stakes that aren't just "or else you'll die from bad luck" might help here. Stuff just pointlessly happening all the time isn't tense - it's tedious. Every new event is a chore, not an opportunity for the main characters to strut their stuff.

When something new happens, the reader reaction should be "oooh, I really wanna see how things develop" instead of mentally stabbing at the "Skip" button like it was for every encounter with the Artist onwards.

Gotta say, it's really hard to engage with a setting that is both actively insufferable and literally acausal. As in stuff happens just cuz - no foreshadowing, no past behavior determining future events, JuSt CuZ.

Maybe time to actually build up stakes that aren't just "or else you'll die from bad luck" might help here. Stuff just pointlessly happening all the time isn't tense - it's tedious. Every new event is a chore, not an opportunity for the main characters to strut their stuff.

When something new happens, the reader reaction should be "oooh, I really wanna see how things develop" instead of mentally stabbing at the "Skip" button like it was for every encounter with the Artist onwards.
I'm not sure what you mean by this.

aPGtE is a world ruled by narrative tropes. There are some default concessions baked into the setting (for example, a villain always succeeds at the first step of their plan) and then events usually play out according to tropes within a story. I could write out "this is the list of tropes involved within this scene and why they played out this way" but I feel like that's both padding the word count and babying the audience.

There is some foreshadowing for the larger plot. If it's not obvious that a Fae arc is scheduled for some point in the future, and it's involving the outlying story threads, then I'm not sure what to say, because there are a lot of dangling threads there. Likewise with the ongoing events in Callow and Mercantis. The closer we get to those story arcs, the more details will be added.

There was also a fair amount of foreshadowing for events that have already occurred. Taylor's journey of faith started as far back as halfway through Arc 2 and only concluded at the end of Arc 4. There were hints about her transformation early on in the Aisne arc. It became more pronounced the further along the story progressed.

If you mean character motivations, we can look at characters in the most recent arc and see what they've been doing. Taylor believes that there will be chaos as a result of her actions in Arc 4 and thus feels the need to establish some form of system to contain it. She knows that most heroes aren't just going to listen to the words of secular leaders, so she reaches towards the church. The church has the power, but they still need approval to do what she wants, so she goes to the highest assembly. It's a step by step A-B-C of how she gets to where she's going.

You get to see a shitton of the inside of Esme's head and what motivates her. She wants vengeance, she doesn't have the power (or ability) to get it on her own, she sees Taylor as a way to get that.

Pascal clashed with Taylor because his beliefs and hers are not reconcilable. There was nothing "bad luck" about his death.

If you're looking for a story where the MC struts stuff... That isn't going to be Taylor's pov. Ever. I'm ruling it out right here. Cat will do things like that, because she's both younger, and it fits with her personality. Taylor's seen the end of the world, and she's tired of that kind of stuff. She's not doing what she's doing to look badass. She's doing what she's doing because she believes it to be the right thing to do. I'm sorry if the idea of a hero that is trying to earnestly do good through enacting political change isn't that appealing to you, but it is what it is.

One of the themes of worm (which is easy to see from the epilogue) is that superpowers don't fix problems. Taylor only starts recovering and moving on when she no longer has her power in the epilogue. I'm carrying that theme forward into Taylor's story in the new world. She has powers, they won't solve any of the problems she has. But this time, she's not trying to solve her problems with those powers so maybe she'll do better?

Last edited:
So, I'm writing at someone who has enjoyed the story quite a lot, but it feels like it is falling into a trap other serials I like have gotten stuck in.

I think right now the issue is that we've not got any antagonists.

We've got potential threats in the dead king, and the dread empress, but they aren't acting in any way that is visible to the audience, and Taylor's only conflict seems to be within her party: the personal friction and her hesitation to just end the tarpit of opposition the house of light represented.

We've got characters who show up as opposition only to get knocked down an episode later.

But who is threatening her and her works? It's all allies and potential allies on screen for the last few arcs, with the main conflict being around Esme, but the stakes there were her leaving the story, basically. Even the chain of hunger has been narratively defanged.

Who is she afraid of losing to, and why? It isn't clear there is anyone at this time. If there is, you are playing your cards very close to the chest on it.

She knows that most heroes aren't just going to listen to the words of secular leaders, so she reaches towards the church. The church has the power, but they still need approval to do what she wants, so she goes to the highest assembly.

I think the 'she knows' is something we've been told rather than shown, and so we've got to second guess Taylor here. She doesn't know the world or the culture, why are we taking her word for it?

I'm happy with the story up to now and it feels like the arc has ended, so I'm looking forward to getting a look at what the struggle will be going forwards. But what I really want is a sense that Taylor is being challenged, not that she is being forced to use ⅒ of her real strength to crush the monster of the week.

Looking forward to what happens next.

We've got potential threats in the dead king, and the dread empress, but they aren't acting in any way that is visible to the audience, and Taylor's only conflict seems to be within her party: the personal friction and her hesitation to just end the tarpit of opposition the house of light represented.

We've got characters who show up as opposition only to get knocked down an episode later.

But who is threatening her and her works? It's all allies and potential allies on screen for the last few arcs, with the main conflict being around Esme, but the stakes there were her leaving the story, basically. Even the chain of hunger has been narratively defanged.

Who is she afraid of losing to, and why? It isn't clear there is anyone at this time. If there is, you are playing your cards very close to the chest on it.

But what I really want is a sense that Taylor is being challenged, not that she is being forced to use ⅒ of her real strength to crush the monster of the week.

That's an interesting take on Black, Warlock, He-who-Subverts-Starvation-with-the-Symphony-of-Song and their confrontations or even the stuff with the fae artist and the big fae.

Back