When A Beaver Gets Its Sea Legs [Alternative History]

Will the RCN operate Monitors? They might not be very good at sea but they would be perfect for Canada's inland waterways.

Will the RCN operate Monitors? They might not be very good at sea but they would be perfect for Canada's inland waterways.

I've definitely considered that as an option, seeing as it would be cheap to procure and easy to man. Though if I decided to have some in use, they would definitely be called gun boats (albeit very heavily armed ones), but not monitors.

I've definitely considered that as an option, seeing as it would be cheap to procure and easy to man. Though if I decided to have some in use, they would definitely be called gun boats (albeit very heavily armed ones), but not monitors.
Another ship class perfect for Canada's inland waterways would be 'Flush-Deckers' like the Wickes and Clemson class Destroyers.Again having poor seaworthiness but again perfect for Canada.

Another ship class perfect for Canada's inland waterways would be 'Flush-Deckers' like the Wickes and Clemson class Destroyers.Again having poor seaworthiness but again perfect for Canada.
Actually, a destroyer isn't a good choice for inland waterways, mostly because it costs entirely too much for the role. River gunboats fill the role perfectly well for much lesser cost.

Unless, of course, Canada is purchasing rather than building such vessels. The USN would likely give them away for a song after World War I.

Another ship type I'd like to see would be some sort of well-armed sloop, like the American Erie class or French Bougainville class. Something with modest speed, armament to outgun most destroyers, and range sufficient to patrol the coastlines, all on about 2000 tons.

Actually, a destroyer isn't a good choice for inland waterways, mostly because it costs entirely too much for the role. River gunboats fill the role perfectly well for much lesser cost.

Unless, of course, Canada is purchasing rather than building such vessels. The USN would likely give them away for a song after World War I.

Another ship type I'd like to see would be some sort of well-armed sloop, like the American Erie class or French Bougainville class. Something with modest speed, armament to outgun most destroyers, and range sufficient to patrol the coastlines, all on about 2000 tons.

Yep. With Canada's coastline being vast, somewhat cheap solutions like the Erie class will be needed to patrol it all.

However, Canada won't just be patrolling its own waters; it'll be fighting alongside the rest of the Empire too :evil:

Would the RN C-Class Cruisers be a viable design to be used by the RCN?
It would be useful for duties beyond Canada's waters.
Pity the Erie won't be available till the 30s.

It could be; I'm still deciding upon the initial composition of the RCN (and maybe some other navies, gonna keep it ambiguous) by the time the First World War rolls around.

The RN certainly built enough of them, though they're kinda on the small side.

And while the Erie class may not be available until the 1930s, all European navies built significant numbers of colonial gunboats that could be adapted to the role.

The RN certainly built enough of them, though they're kinda on the small side.

And while the Erie class may not be available until the 1930s, all European navies built significant numbers of colonial gunboats that could be adapted to the role.

That last part is true (as in Canada will be using 'colonial' gunboats).

The RCN will also be packing some heavy-duty stuff too, though I'll save the rest of the details for the story.

Act 1.6
Act 1.6
The Globe
Toronto, Wednesday, February 28 1900

VICTORY AT PAARDEBERG!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Boer troops surrender at Paardeberg after nine days of fighting
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

London, February 28 - Field Marshall Roberts has declared to the press that British and Canadian forces have successfully forced Boer forces under the command of Piet Cronjé to surrender. This comes after nearly nine-days of endless fighting, wherein the Boers were besieged with an endless barrage of artillery fire. Despite an attempt by Cronjé to call for a cease-fire in the aftermath of General Kitchener's failed assault, Roberts was able to order a continuation of the battle. There were several occasions when a withdrawal might have been a suitable option for our forces, but Roberts and his subordinates saw this as an opening for the Boer forces to escape their clutches.

As the siege gradually escalated over the next several days, a decision was made on the night of February 26 to have the Royal Canadian Regiment of Infantry (RCRI) advance towards the Boer position. The result of such an action was the discovery by the Boers in the morning of a substantial number of troops with guns aimed directly at their camp, thus forcing them to surrender to prevent what could have been a massacre. The surrender of these troops marks the first real victory for British forces in South Africa, and the first victory for the Toronto and St. Jean companies of the RCRI.

It is estimated that with the loss, the Boers have lost a substantial percentage of their troops as well as the loss of one of their major generals. It is hoped by us here at The Globe that this victory will rally our troops to fight harder, and with it, achieve a final victory over the Boer menace once and for all.

"...If a man is willing to fight alongside the British, who are we to tell them they should not? If we were to restrict them from doing so, we would be acting contrary to the established freedoms and rights that a citizen of Canada would have. It is for this reason that we should send any willing man to fight in South Africa; to do otherwise would make use hypocrites in the eyes of our own law."

- Excerpt from Henri Bourassa's open letter to the Canadian public, published in newspapers across the country.

"The risk that Henri Bourassa took in openly admitting his role in the decision to send Canadians to South Africa cannot be understated. Many of the modern accounts of his political career state how the fallout he experienced in Quebec did not ultimately derail his career. What they do not state is the extensive work he put into what was essentially a 'media blitz', which he began with his open letter to the public published on October 21st, 1899.

Appealing to the public at large, he would mention of how they were not in a position to prevent willing men from fighting, not to mention stating that the financial costs of such an endeavor were well-within the budget of the Ministry of Militia and Defence. Though his letter was aimed at French Canadians, it also led to his development of a reputation among English Canadians as one of the few from Quebec who understood their opinion at a national level.

In Quebec, though there were several dissenting voices that called Bourassa a traitor, many more would come to accept the compromise and see Bourassa's 'moderate views' as something they could tolerate. This was further emboldened by several speeches he gave in Ottawa and Montreal, stating once again his support of the Volunteer Force and expanding on his earlier points by saying that it was "better to have willing men fight than to have the British force them to."

This was merely the beginning of his reputation as a moderating voice between English and French Canadians. It would only be with his appointment as the Minister of Marine and Fisheries in February of 1906..." (Diefenbaker 59).

- Excerpt (MLA Format) from The Navy's Patron Saint by John Diefenbaker, retired Admiral of the Royal Canadian Navy.

Here's a bit of a shorter update regarding the Boer War! This one merely covers how it affects Bourassa's political career, in addition to the initial Canadian involvement in South Africa (the only difference being that the initial contingent of troops are bigger than OTL and include a French-Canadian company). There's one more to come, though it will be a part of a much bigger update that I am working on.

Once more, I'd like to thank my readers again for being awesome as always! Please leave behind any questions or constructive criticisms, because it'll help me make the story better ;)

Act 1.7
We're rapidly approaching the dreadnought era... excited!

Don't blink, it's coming real soon :evil:

Act 1.7
"...The proposed Naval Militia Bill of 1904 was a culmination of two year's worth of work by Raymond Préfontaine, who traveled to Britain numerous times to speak and negotiate with the Admiralty. It was first proposed in the aftermath of the Boer War at the 1902 Colonial Conference in London. It was approved by Prime Minister Laurier as national pride was at an all-time high and when relations with the United States were souring due to the Alaskan Boundary Dispute. Additionally, plans for a Militia-related bill were already underway, meaning that a proposed Naval Militia Bill could ride on the momentum caused by the passage of that.

Préfontaine had decided upon an 'open' approach to the Bill, publicizing its goals and clauses rather than keeping it a temporary secret in fears of a public backlash. He had a reluctant supporter in the form of Minister without Portfolio Henri Bourassa who believed that a naval militia would allow the Canadian government (not the Royal Navy) to actually patrol their own sovereign waters. The 'failure' of the Alaskan Boundary arbitration in 1903 only fueled the support for the plan, as many felt that the only reason the US was able to gain a favourable result was due to its ability to project a naval force into its territories.

It was in this climate that an outline for a 'Fisheries Protection Service' would be made. A glorified patrol service, it was to be comprised of several 'fisheries cruisers', which were nothing more than a re-designed version of a successful British torpedo boat design. Six vessels were planned, with the first two being outfitted with men who had served on older ships under the Department of Marine and Fisheries. More men would be recruited to man the rest of the vessels, with an upper limit of 800 officers and men in active service. A Canadian Naval Academy would be established in Halifax to facilitate the training of more men for the Fisheries Protection Service.

The assets of the Fisheries Protection Service could be deployed to assist the Royal Navy in times of war, but only with the approval of Parliament. This clause was justified by Préfontaine with the fact that such vessels were nothing more than gunboats, and as such, would not see service on the front lines. The passage of the Australian Naval Agreement Act on August 28, 1903 (which allowed the Royal Navy to completely withdraw the ships of the Australian Squadron) prompted Préfontaine to create that clause to allay any fears of such a thing occurring with this new service.

Everything seemed to be in place for the Naval Militia Bill, especially with the passage of the related Militia Act in November 1904. Unfortunately for the Department of Marine and Fisheries, their plan would be torpedoed long before it would even get into Parliament. The first obstacle to its passage was the withdrawal of support from the Department of Militia and Defence, largely due to the financial and manpower strain they were feeling from garrisoning the military emplacements at Halifax and Esquimault. This was an unforeseen consequence of the Militia Act, as it had approved the replacement of the British Army garrisons at those two locations.

To make matters worse, the opposition in the government was beginning to grow as the financial realities of a Fisheries Protection Service were realized. Minister of Interior Clifford Sifton (a friend of Préfontaine) had voiced his disagreement with the bill, citing that the government could not hope to pay for it in the aftermath of the Militia Act. Support from the public was also decreasing, meaning the likeliness of its success was getting lower and lower. As such, Laurier killed off the bill for the time being, an act that would prove detrimental to the health of Préfontaine.

On December 11, 1904, Raymond Préfontaine would be struck with a case of angina pectoris. It originated from the stress caused by the preparation of the bill, its subsequent cancellation, and his upcoming trip to Britain to speak with the Admiralty yet again. Fortunately, he would be treated quickly in Ottawa, allowing both him and Laurier to discuss a replacement over several private sessions. The two men eventually decided to have Henri Bourassa replace Préfontaine in his capacity as the Minister of Marine and Fisheries, as he was seen as a neutral choice that both English and French Canadians could agree with.

Bourassa accepted the offer, but with one condition; the meeting with the Admiralty would continue, albeit with Bourassa taking on the leading role and Préfontaine remaining present as an advisor. Laurier found this acceptable, thereby allowing Bourassa to be appointed as the Minister of Marine and Fisheries on January 17, 1905. However, as the meeting with the Admiralty would not be until October, Bourassa worked with his predecessor to partially implement some of the stipulations of the now-dead Naval Militia Bill.

In March, he succeeded in convincing the government of the need for his Department to supplement its current 'fleet' of patrol vessels with two examples of the 'fisheries cruisers' outlined in the Naval Militia Bill. These two ships, named Canada and the Vigilant, were ordered and built in Canadian shipyards, making them the first metal 'warships' to be constructed in the country. Both Canada and the Vigilant would be put into service by June, which was followed up by their participation in training exercises with the British squadron in Bermuda and the West Indies from August to October.

The crews of both ships were praised by the Royal Navy squadron for their hard work, an occurrence that would be reported in newspapers across Canada. The positive reaction to such news encouraged Laurier to allow Bourassa to make new agreements between his Department and the Admiralty during their October meeting, given that they were within reason. With that in mind, Bourassa was able to lobby and convince the Admiralty to transfer the possession of the dockyards and naval facilities at Esquimault and Halifax to Canadian jurisdiction, to which he argued was a mere continuation of what the Militia Act had entailed.

Bourassa also attempted to gain the opinion of the Admiralty on the establishment of a Canadian naval militia, responding with a mere request to have the power to deploy such a force under their control in times of conflict. While he privately disagreed with their request, seeing it as a way to get Canada dragged into war, he still interpreted it as their approval for such an organization, he would return to Canada in November with the goal of pursuing the very same thing that his predecessor had planned. Unfortunately, work on a new Naval Militia Bill would be delayed by the transfer of the Royal Navy facilities at Esquimault and Halifax, preoccupying him for the next few months.

Once that was completed, Bourassa started up a draft on a new Naval Militia Bill. While he did look at its 'predecessor' for inspiration, he nevertheless knew that submitting an exact copy of the bill to Parliament would face stiff resistance. In light of that, he sought out different ways of getting the stillborn Canadian naval militia out to sea. It was around mid-April 1906 that he would be informed of the recent Australian attempts to create a naval service of their own.

Sympathizing with their situation, Bourassa realized that this was the opportunity he needed; if he alone could not get a Canadian naval militia created, then perhaps cooperating with the Australians would be the way. Following that realization, he sought out a meeting with the man who was behind the plan for an Australian naval forces, William R. Creswell. He informed Laurier of his intentions, seeking his consent. Though somewhat hesitant, Laurier gave way as he saw no possible consequences from it, allowing Bourassa to get in touch with the Australian government and planning a meeting for May of that year.

The Beaver and the Kangaroo were finally on their way to getting their sea legs..."

- History of the Canadian Naval Militia Act, taken from the website of the Commonwealth Encyclopedia.

Just to get things moving, here's a big update (which I worked on foll explaining the route towards the creation of the Canadian and Australian Navies. I'll be filling out the details in future updates, namely those regarding Raymond Prefontaine and what he is doing now in retirement.

Once more, I'd like to thank my readers again for being awesome as always! Please leave behind any questions or constructive criticisms, because it'll help me make the story better ;)

Hmm... with the Canadians working with the Australians, I can see the possibility of Canada footing the bill for a battlecruiser, or hell, even putting together the intended full fleet unit of a battlecruiser, three light cruisers, and six destroyers.

Hi!

This is a really interesting story with an "unausgelutschtes" (non-stale) topic as a starting point. Looking forward to more!
I feel honoured that my TL inspired you to take up the pen and write your own timeline!

Hi!

This is a really interesting story with an "unausgelutschtes" (non-stale) topic as a starting point. Looking forward to more!
I feel honoured that my TL inspired you to take up the pen and write your own timeline!
Thanks mko! I'm rather honoured myself that you're reading my TL :D

So... on that battlecruiser... any possibility that it'll be a Lion instead of an Indefatigable?
I swear, you must be a psychic of some kind.

In all seriousness though, I do plan on having the battlecruiser that Australia and/or Canada order being a Lion class. It's just a better match up against their German counterparts than the Indefatigable class.

I swear, you must be a psychic of some kind.

In all seriousness though, I do plan on having the battlecruiser that Australia and/or Canada order being a Lion class. It's just a better match up against their German counterparts than the Indefatigable class.
Will Canada's future Battlecruiser be a standard Lion Class or will it be an upgraded variant like Kongou was?

Will Canada's future Battlecruiser be a standard Lion Class or will it be an upgraded variant like Kongou was?
To be honest, I'm still deciding upon that. While the possibility of the Canadian battlecruiser being an upgraded variant does exist, I think it's far more likely for it to just be the standard design. After all, the presumed role of such a vessel would be to defend the North American side of the Atlantic, not project power as is the case with Japan.

Nevertheless, the Canadian and Australian battlecruisers could have some minor differences from the original design.

To be honest, I'm still deciding upon that. While the possibility of the Canadian battlecruiser being an upgraded variant does exist, I think it's far more likely for it to just be the standard design. After all, the presumed role of such a vessel would be to defend the North American side of the Atlantic, not project power as is the case with Japan.

Nevertheless, the Canadian and Australian battlecruisers could have some minor differences from the original design.
I say stick with the standard Lion. A lot of people underestimate how much work goes into just altering an existing design, and how catastrophic it can be if they don't take that time.

The practical consequence being that any significant alterations of the Lion design are liable to push the completion date back by a year or two.

I say stick with the standard Lion. A lot of people underestimate how much work goes into just altering an existing design, and how catastrophic it can be if they don't take that time.

The practical consequence being that any significant alterations of the Lion design are liable to push the completion date back by a year or two.

I agree. After all, Japan had a difficult enough time trying to design the Kongo class; if Canada and Australia were to try redesigning it on their own, it would be a delay-ridden failure.

Also, it would preclude the possibility of achieving glory against the Germans ;)

Act 1.8
Act 1.8
Melbourne, Australia
May 17th, 1906

The Grand Hotel was one of the premier landmarks in the City of Melbourne, having been designed by architect Charles Webb at the behest of a local shipping mogul. Opened in 1884, the hotel has since accommodated a variety of individuals and events, the most notable so far being the Constitutional Convention in 1898 to finalise the Australian constitution. Though events such as this were typically publicized by the hotel or the media, the meeting between Henri Bourassa and William Creswell was not.

This fact was not lost upon either men, with William in particular taking note to make sure that their discussions took place at locales other than the Grand Hotel, if only to ensure their privacy. With this in mind, William had taken it upon himself to use his motor carriage to pick-up Henri from his lodgings to a local office of the Commonwealth Naval Forces. Though the car would attract some attention, being a rather well-equipped Russell Motor Carriage Model B, he didn't expect anyone to recognize who he or Henri was.

As his vehicle pulled up to the Grand Hotel, he could see a man waiting in the distance, wearing a suit similar to his own and sporting a formidable mustache. William could also see him carrying a rather small, leather briefcase, presumably carrying a variety of documents from Canada. Stopping just some distance away from the man, William stepped out of his vehicle and approached him, assuming him to be the man he was scheduled to meet with.

"Good day to you sir. May I assume you to be Mr. Henri Bourassa of Canada?" he inquired, speaking with a relatively soft voice.

"Indeed I am," Henri replied with a slight accent. "You must be Sir William Creswell then, no?"

"Of course, of course. Before we get on with our conversation, I'd like to get into my motor carriage so that we can get underway to our destination."

A nod from Henri led to both men walking over to the vehicle, getting in once William's driver opened the door to the rear passenger door. They settled into their seats as the driver did to his, starting up the engine and getting the car moving along the ever-busy Spring Street.

"Our motor carriage trip should last about 10 minutes, sir," stated the driver.

"Good to know Joseph. Anyways, how has your time in Melbourne been so far, Mr. Bourassa?"

"It's... It's been great. The weather's nice, the people are nice... In a way, it's like Canada, but far more south," Henri replied, smiling as he did.

William chuckled at his remark for a bit before continuing. "Ah, that's good."

"Shall we get on with our business then?"

"Indeed. So why exactly have you come here to Melbourne?" William questioned. "From what I've heard, you've been doing good work up north. Getting the Royal Navy to transfer two of their bases is no laughing matter."

"I'm fully aware of the fact that both of us are rather capable men in our own right," he stated with conviction. "However, I fear that the Admiralty will laugh at any proposal to have a Dominion naval reserve, much less a navy."

He stopped there before opening his briefcase and taking out a sheet that read, The Imperial Conference of 1907. He gave it to William, who quickly skimmed through it, noting several dates and names of attendees.

"I know of the conference. What does it matter to our business?"

"Well, we both know now that we're both attending the conference. Though it may focus on the matters of the Empire, like India or some other far-off place, I believe that it could be our avenue to present a case to the Admiralty for our goals."

"Hmmm... So a united front, then?" William asked. He stroked his chin as he considered the possibilities of such a move, during which Henri waited in anticipation for a positive response. "It certainly has its merits."

"Which is exactly why I am proposing it. If we were to show to the Admiralty, and more importantly, to the British government of our common cause, then surely they must consider any proposal we put forward. If they didn't, we could bring it to the press and try to raise some concerns in the public."

"It is a sound plan, that much is true, but we'd need to make a proposal that is a compromise for both sides. If we don't present some sort of advantage from it, then the Royal Navy will dismiss it outright regardless of any backlash in the press."

"That right there, my friend, is why I am here. I've been granted a sufficient space of time to spend here, about a month at the longest, which should be long enough to come up with at least an outline for a proposal," Henri answered. He took out another document from his briefcase, albeit one with crude writing that seemed more like a list of ideas than a coherent write-up. "Those are just some of the clauses I had in mind for our proposal."

William read through each one carefully, raising his eyebrows at some points and occasionally looking to Henri as he did. "You want the Admiralty to have permission to use our fleets from our Parliaments? Do you know how that will sound to the boffins at Westminster?"

"It is audacious, I know," Henri admitted. "But we need to show that we are willing to call the shots, as some of my younger colleagues would say, or else they may push us around. If we don't, then we could be looking at the continued hegemony of the Royal Navy in the defences of our waters."

Before either of them could continue, however, the driver opened his mouth once again. "I don't mean to interrupt you two gentlemen, but we have arrived at our destination," stated the driver. He got out of his side of the car and proceeded to head over to the passenger door on the right to let the two men out. They followed suit, nodding and thanking Joseph for driving them before looking forward and seeing the modest CNF office.

"Let's head in. I'm sure that the rest of the staff will want to hear your ideas, Mr. Bourassa," William stated, leading the way into the office.

"I'm sure they'll be pleased. And just call me Henri; if I'm going to stay here for a month, I'd rather not hear my last name repeated all the time."

Sorry for the delay, but school has been keeping me busy. Anyways, the update here is just some interaction between Henri Bourassa and William Creswell, as well as some ideas they'll use later on.

Last edited:
Back