When A Beaver Gets Its Sea Legs [Alternative History]

Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

Preface
As the title suggests, the upcoming timeline/story is an alt. historical tale about...

Odyssey

Getting back into the groove
Pronouns
She/Her
Preface
As the title suggests, the upcoming timeline/story is an alt. historical tale about Canada. In the beginning of the timeline, it will focus on two individuals, one more so than the other. This individual is none other than noted French-Canadian Henri Bourassa, a politician who would be regarded as the 'Father of French Canadian Nationalism.' He was known for his staunch opposition towards Canadian involvement with the Empire, opposing such things like the deployment of Canadian troops to assist the British in the Second Boer War, and the use of mandatory conscription to fight a war that was, in his opinion, not in Canada's interests.

However, a little known thing about Henri Bourassa is where exactly he got his start in politics. While he was always interested in it, it wasn't until the 1885 Northwest Rebellion that he truly became interested. He was particularly inflamed by the execution of Louis Riel, especially once he heard the speeches of Wilfrid Laurier and Honoré Mercier at a rally at the Champ-de-Mars in Montreal on November 22. It was from that point forward that Bourassa decided upon a career in politics, first as a mayor, then a MP, and the rest is history.

That, right there, is the Point of Divergence (PoD, I'll be using this term so take note) that I will use for the story. You see, at that same rally that Bourassa attended, there was another man who gave a passionate speech- Raymond Préfontaine. He is the second important individual in this story of mine. Now, I do not blame you if you've never heard of the guy. Hell, I only stumbled across him by accident.

However, Raymond Préfontaine was far from being an ineffectual politician; in reality, he was relatively well-connected in the Municipal scene in Montreal. He had also spent some time in the Federal government, most notably becoming Minister of Marine and Fisheries and essentially fighting for the creation of a Canadian Naval Militia. Heck, in some of his biographies, it was stated that Laurier actually feared that he could attempt to take the leadership of the Liberals from him. In addtion, Raymond Préfontaine was more than willing to support the interests of the Empire (albeit for reasons of personal repute), in a way making him the quintessential opposite of Henri Bourassa.

So what does this mean for the PoD? Well, the basic idea here is that Henri Bourassa actually hears Raymond Préfontaine's speech on November 22, and then decides to stick around and try to talk to the man. The reasoning behind this is the fact that he is still a relatively unknown politician, making him more approachable than Laurier or Mercier. Having become acquainted with one another, both men would eventually come to influence each other's lives, and later on, Canada as well.

With that over, well... ladies and gentlemen, I welcome you to When A Beaver Gets Its Sea Legs.

Act 1
The Champ-de-Mars, Montreal
November 22nd, 1885

"Had I been born on the banks of the Saskatchewan," stated Wilfrid Laurier, "I would myself have shouldered a musket to fight against the neglect of government and the shameless greed of speculators!"

Thunderous applause filled the Champ-de-Mars, as the crowd cheered after the bold speech from yet another politician. It was one of several speeches given that day, all in condemnation of the Canadian government's execution of Louis Riel the day before. Many Quebecois disagreed with the action rather heavily, many of whom were gathered there in that very park. Among them was Henri Bourassa, a young man on a visit to Montreal in the midst of this controversy. Just shy of the age of 17, he is nevertheless interested in politics, much like his grand father Louis-Joseph Papineau.

While he was, in the eyes of society, a mere youth, he was still rather keen on speaking to one of the politicians who had participated in the rally. He wanted to know more about the situation, not to mention the chance to meet an actual politician outside his own family.

'Laurier is out of the question... He's much to high up for me. Mercier would likely regard me as to naive to understand,' he thought. 'Hmm... How about Préfontaine?'

Henri had only actually heard of the man today. However unknown the man was, however, he demonstrated quite a lot of competence up there, delivering a passionate and eloquently-worded speech that impressed quite a few people in the crowd. However, the fact that he was relatively unknown made the prospect of approaching him for a conversation at least a tad bit easier, something that was not lost on Henri.

He decided to move forward with it, making his way through the crowd in an attempt to reach the platform where he last saw him, wearing a black suit and a complementing top hat. It took some time with all of the people in the way, but he eventually saw Monsieur Préfontaine conversing with a few others. Waiting for him to finish, Henri quickly walked up to the man before he lost his chance to speak with him.

"Eh... Bonjour Monsieur Préfontaine! You had a pretty great speech out there, sir."

"Ah, bonjour!" he replied, taking off his hat. "What is a young man such as yourself doing here?"

"Well," he said rather nervously, "I'm studying at the École Polytechnique, and I heard about the rally being thrown for Louis Riel."

"That's quite the prestigious school, young man. Tell me, what is your name?"

"Henri Bourassa, sir. And yes, it is, though admittedly I only enrolled there because a tutor of mine had convinced me too. I am not quite sure if it was the correct decision, however."

"I'm sure that a man such as yourself is more than capable of keeping up. You do, after all, seem to do good enough to keep up to date with the news, given that you know about Louis Riel."

"Of course! He may not have been the greatest man, but he shouldn't have been executed."

Préfontaine took a deep breath before continuing, still feeling those emotions that the rally had brought on up. He was able to compose himself, however, allowing the conversation to continue.

"I wholeheartedly agree with you. It is a travesty, what they did. But alas, we cannot do anything about it now."

"That's true, unfortunately."

"So tell me, why are you really here? There's not much more I can tell you about the Riel Affair, as you seem informed enough."

"Well... I had wanted to talk to one of the politicians here, and you seemed the easiest to approach."

When he heard that, Préfontaine's face quickly broke into a smile, and soon after a fit of laughter, as though Henri had said a funny joke. The sight of seeing a politician do something as normal as that had surprised Henri somewhat, as people like him always seemed rather serious all the time.

"My apologies, Monsieur Bourassa," he replied, waving his hat at him, "But I've never heard anyone want to actually meet me, much less an impressionable young man such as yourself. I am only an alderman, after all."

Préfontaine took a look at a pocket watch he had on hand, his face becoming irrevocably serious as soon as he saw it. Putting it away, he wore his hat once more, making sure it was tight on his head before he turned to Henri.

"I'm afraid I'll have to cut this short, Monsieur Bourassa. However, I'd be more than delighted to speak to you in the future."

He paused for a moment to contemplate, scratching his chin rather mildly.

"Tell you what; I'll try to look you up when I have the time, so that I can send a correspondence to you. Is that alright, Monsieur Bourassa?"

"That is more than fine, Monsieur Préfontaine."

"Good to hear. Until next time, adieu!"

The two men parted their ways, heading back to their lives. As Henri walked back to the École Polytechnique, he wondered to himself if the man would try to contact him once again, especially given that he seemed quite busy. Though it was a bit unusual for an alderman to be on a tight schedule, his mind was more preoccupied with other thoughts.

'I guess I can only hope,' he mused. 'Who knows. Perhaps this will lead somewhere.'

What Henri did not know was just how correct his final thought would be.

Sorry about the sparse first act, but it's just the start of the story. Also, I'm still trying to develop as a writer. I'm not quite the best at it, but I'll try my damnedest to get better. Promise!

Speaking of, shout out to @mko95 and his awesome TL which served to inspire this little thing of mine!

Don't expect any updates soon, got a lot of stuff on my plate this week. And finally, a thank you to anyone and everyone who is reading this! :D

Last edited:
I'm always up for a good naval timeline, especially one timed perfectly to cover the steel and steam era.

A decent enough start so far. Not much to comment on though, as I am not well versed in Canadian affairs.

Thanks! I know my writing isn't the best, but I'll improve. I'm working on the next update right now actually, though it's not gonna be posted at least until the weekend.

My knowledge of this era is next to none but I shall watch this with interest. Perhaps I shall have a interesting history lesson while reading this. :)

Act 1.1
Act 1.1

"...one of the most critical events in the life of Henri Bourassa before entering politics would be his transfer from the École Polytechnique to the Montreal branch of the University of Laval.

In December of 1885, Bourassa was experiencing extreme mental exhaustion, caused largely by his own overworking of himself. In addition, he was facing a crisis of faith, finding himself doubting whether or not he was faithful to the Roman Catholic faith. According to his own memoirs and letters, he was considering his options, including the option of dropping out of the institute to collect himself. Having made few friends at his school in the month he had spent there, Bourassa had few to turn to in at that dire time, a fact that he knew all too well.

He was not, however, a fool; as much as this decision was his own, he could not simply just drop out of the school without giving it some thought. It would be on December 8th that he would attempt to consult with Raymond Préfontaine, whom he had been speaking with on an irregular basis for the past two weeks. The two had decided upon meeting together at a local cafè several days prior, a factor that had influenced his decision to speak to Préfontaine about his predicament.

As stated in his published memoirs, L'Homme de Montréal, Préfontaine recalls listening to Bourassa essentially profess to him his mistakes and problems during his time at the École Polytechnique.

He says, "Henri told me that he was ready to drop out, for the sake of his own health. However, at the time, I thought there was more to it than that; Henri was a man whom I knew to be heavily interested in politics, high-level thinking, and debating, and yet here he was at a school specializing in engineering.

The École Polytechnique is a good school, no doubt, but I knew that there was a better place for him; the Université de Laval à Montréal. So then and there I told Henri about my plan, which he approved of rather glowingly, thanking me endlessly in a rather embarrassing display. That aside, I informed him that I would attempt to get into contact with the proper authorities to facilitate his transfer."

Within several days of that conversation, Préfontaine had sent letters to the École Polytechnique and Université de Laval à Montréal, requesting the transfer of one Henri Bourassa from an Engineering program to a major in Law. While he was only just an alderman at the time, he still had some rather considerable connections, most importantly with then Mayor of Montreal Honoré Beaugrand and Senator Joseph-Rosaire Thibaudeau. Letters confirming his request would be received within a week, stating that Bourassa would begin his tenure at his new university in early January.

Bourassa was completely elated once he heard the news, a welcome change of personality after weeks of exhaustion and near-depression. He would decide on his own to spend his brief respite from schooling in Montebello, where his family traditionally stayed in the Summer months. He used his time there wisely, choosing to rest and recuperate in order to prepare for what was essentially a new beginning for him. By the time January 6th came around, Henri Bourassa was back in Montreal, a completely refreshed man.

Many historians regard this event in his life as a victory for not only him, but for Préfontaine as well, as his actions had done much to cement the friendship between the two men, one that would last well-into the 20th Century. More importantly, with Bourassa now in Montreal for the next four years, Préfontaine had the opportunity to mold the young man's views on politics, both at the Municipal and Federal level..."

- Excerpt from The Navy's Patron Saint by John Diefenbaker, retired Admiral of the Royal Canadian Navy.

Once again, I'd like to thank all of my readers for being awesome! I know that this is still the beginning of the story, but I do hope my writing is getting at least a bit better. Please do not hesitate to give constructive criticism!

This short update is gonna be followed up by a much bigger one. It'll probably come on Friday, largely because of school (French homework in particular, ironically). I wrote this smaller update just to see if I could follow up on the first post in terms of quality ;)

Last edited:
Act 1.2
Act 1.2

"...over the next four years, Bourassa studied and worked towards his Bachelor of Laws undergraduate degree. While he would ultimately turn away from a profession in the Judicial System, his experiences at the Université de Laval à Montréal taught him a variety of things that he would utilize in his future career as a politician. Knowing how to use the law was an advantage all on his own; often, Bourassa could advise people on matters of property law and contracts.

However practical his education on law may be, another equally important development would be his social life and growing network of friends. In the numerous social gatherings and parties he attended while in university, Bourassa got introduced to the many different individuals who Préfontaine had befriended as a result of his position on the Municipal government of Montreal. The interactions and conversations he would have with these individuals were often about politics or something in the news, meaning that he would often come across varying opinions on the same topic.

Over time, Bourassa would become something of a moderating voice in these discussions, often waiting to hear the opinions of others before stating his own. Experiences such as that would be of much use in his political career, as a moderating voice was urgently needed at a time of extremely differing opinions between English and French Canada..." (Diefenbaker 44).

"...shortly after graduating in July of 1889, Bourassa made the decision to return once more to his ancestral hometown of Montebello to run for Municipal government there. While the position of Mayor was not prestigious, it was remained an important stepping stone on his path towards Parliament. He would arrive back in Montebello in late-September, shortly before elections were to occur, giving him enough time to campaign around the small village for support. Bourassa was already a well-known person there, due largely to the fact that his success-story of a family had originated there.

When the election finally came around in the late Fall, it was painfully obvious that Bourassa had an insurmountable lead. Though his opponents had initially put up a fight against the so-called "young fool", they acquiesced soon after he demonstrated his abilities as an orator during several publicly-held debates, winning every single one. He would formally become the Mayor of Montebello in January of 1890, a position that he would hold for the next four years..." (Diefenbaker 47).

"...While his terms would prove to be largely mundane, he was still able to use it to pursue several personal interests of his, namely in the fields of business and writing. 1892 would be the year that he became the "publisher-owner" of the newspaper L'Interprète, which had been created to voice the opinions of the people of Montebello and the surrounding areas.

He used the position to publish several articles covering a wide range of topics, the most notable of which included that of the role of French Canadians in an increasingly English nation. It would be there that he demonstrated his talent in writing, demonstrating a clear understanding in the use of both rhetoric and word-play..." (Diefenbaker 49).

- Excerpts from The Navy's Patron Saint by John Diefenbaker, retired Admiral of the Royal Canadian Navy.

"I made the decision to run for the mayorship of Montreal in the Spring of 1893. Up to that point, I had been the chairman of the city's Roads Committee, wherein I had [admittedly] developed a reputation among the populace through my extensive work in expanding our infrastructure. With each new road, each refurbished park, and the addition of a streetcar system, Montreal was quickly transforming into the modern metropolis it was meant to be.

Of course, such work gained the approval of the newspapers and those who were affected by it, especially as my modernization program often provided significant local employment. Popularity aside, it was really the opinion of my political allies and friends that caused me to make the decision. Many of them, who I had financially assisted in their previous campaigns, had pressed me to run in order to capitalize on the recent reforms to enfranchisement in the city.

I remember being constantly reminded that a substantial portion of these new voters were located in districts where I had a hand in developing, a statistic that I could not ignore. Additionally, I had also realized that mayorship would be the only way I could continue my modernization programs to some degree; I had faced some resistance in 1892 and 1893 to the high spending of my committee, much of it led by George W. Stephens (the unofficial spokesman for the English wards of Montreal).

I decided to resign from the Committee on April 21st, which was a clear sign to many that I was going to run for mayorship. I made my intentions officially known the week after, on April 30th, when I held a small public meeting announcing them. For the next few months, I campaigned diligently throughout all of Montreal, including the English speaking wards. I was able to achieve a huge victory in July when I made an agreement with George W. Stephens stating that that he would become the Chairman of the Finances Committee if he assisted me on the campaign trail.

With George's much-needed help, as well as the financial backing of several businessmen of the day like Louis-Joseph Forget and James Cochrane, it soon became clear that I had the upper hand in the race for mayor. My aims for mayorship, like the continuation of the modernization program (albeit at a slower pace) and my promise to reform the government, had found staunch supporters throughout Montreal. Though there were still others attempting to run for mayor by the time the election came around, I had still been able to win it comfortably with 64% of the vote.

I was completely elated at the news, something that filled me with much excitement for my new position, similar to how I felt when was first chosen as alderman for the Hochelaga ward. It was like a new lease on life, as I felt confident that I could instill change in Montreal. In the coming years, this would play a key role in causing the Liberal Party [who I had ran for in the 1880s] to recognizing me as a formidable politician in my own right. In particular would be the attention that I would receive in the coming years from Wilfrid Laurier..."

- Excerpt from L'Homme de Montréal, the published memoirs and writings of Raymond Préfontaine.

So here's that double-length update I promised you guys! I know that most of it is formatted as excerpts from fictional books, but please bear with me, as I will be using the typical story format soon for when it actually makes sense to use it.

Also, I know that this hasn't delved into the matters of the Royal Canadian Navy yet, but it is coming soon. Very soon, in fact, as the next update will be about that very thing. Expect it to come on Wednesday, because I have important tests to not study for and papers to procrastinate on.

Anyways, I'd like to thank all of my readers again! You guys are awesome and keeping me motivated to write this! :D

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing where this is going. Hoping you keep the 'buffs' within reason. Some AH takes things a little to far/fast.

I'm Canadian, but I know very little about our history between 1867 and 1914... This should be quite interesting...

Looking forward to seeing where this is going. Hoping you keep the 'buffs' within reason. Some AH takes things a little to far/fast.

Thanks for the comment! Rest assured, I won't take things too far; you won't be seeing a Superpower Canada any time soon.

Also, it should be noted that I will also be covering the world once I really get the ball rolling.

I'm Canadian, but I know very little about our history between 1867 and 1914... This should be quite interesting...

Thanks! I'm not some kind of expert on the era, but I'll do my best to be as historically plausible and accurate as possible with my story. Hopefully, we'll all learn a thing or two about Canada ;)

Act 1.3
Act 1.3
The Château Frontenac, Quebec City
August 11th, 1898

George Edwin King was a rather notable individual in the Canadian judicial community, having been lauded and praised over the years for his excellent judgments in the court room. He had developed such a good reputation that his appointment to the Supreme Court of Canada in 1893 was applauded across the nation by those who recognized his name. He was also rather youthful for a man of his position, a fact that made the news of his death all the more strange for Sir Wilfrid Laurier, the Prime Minister of Canada.

His death could not have come at a worse time. Wilfrid was currently attending the Joint High Commission between Canada and the United States, a forum intended to resolve problems between the two nations. In addition to the pressure from gaining favourable resolutions from the Commission, he was now also under pressure to replace a Puisne Justice on the Surpeme Court, and a rather good one at that. Had this been any other time, Wilfrid would have been able to appoint Louis Henry Davies, a personal confidant and well-known member of the Liberal Party.

Unfortunately enough, he was already the Minister of Marine and Fisheries, and as such, was required to attend the Commission. With time being short, Wilfrid had spent some time at night after the Commission adjourned for the day to consider his options. With him was Louis, who was rather keen on gaining a prestigious position on the Supreme Court. Both men were in one of the few conference rooms at the Frontenac, away from the prying eyes of the members of the Commission.

"So I take that the real issue here is finding a replacement for me?" asked Louis, stroking his chin in anticipation.

"There's no need to get excited just yet, my friend," said Wilfrid. "We've been at this for half an hour now, and we still can't think of any suitable candidates with experience in these affairs."

"Given that we're grasping at the air here, I believe we should change our criteria," he replied. "After all, I was not even that much of an expert at maritime law and I, in my opinion, have done a rather decent job with it."

Wilfrid paced around the room, carrying a glass of scotch in his right hand as he contemplated Louis' words. The man did have a point; his replacement did not explicitly have to be some kind of expert of the sea. In fact, the only real skill that was required was the ability to manage and organize a relatively wide-ranging Federal department.

"Though if we are going to appoint someone, we should at the least benefit from it politically," Louis added.

"Point taken. If we're going to go into that territory, then I believe I have a good candidate in mind."

"That being?"

Wilfrid sat down before he continued, placing his scotch on the conference table so as to place his full attention towards Louis.

"There's a certain man by the name of Raymond Préfontaine, who was Mayor of Montreal quite recently," Wilfrid explained. "He demonstrated his competency and skill in administration, given that he was able to garner the support of both sides of the language divide for his policies."

"I've heard of the name. Wasn't he the one that headed the 'urbanization' program there?"

"Indeed. I also know of the fact that he's developed quite a few connections in the business and political worlds, meaning that he bears quite a bit of influence outside of Montreal."

"If one thing is for sure," stated Louis, "having him as the new Minister could do wonders for our base in Quebec."

'He's a rare breed of French Canadian, being a Liberal just like me,' Wilfrid thought before answering.

"Of course. Plus if we can get him on our 'side', we could probably lure the support of his allies too. Just from the top of my head, there's that Bourassa fellow who is beginning to make some noise. He may be a Liberal, but he isn't quite as supportive as I'd prefer him to be."

"Judging by your tone of voice, I'm guessing you've decided then?"

"Yes. Préfontaine will be our new Minister of Marine and Fisheries. And you, Louis, will be the replacement Puisne Justice for King, on the condition that you remain as Minister for now and show our new friend the ropes. I believe we could use this Commission to our advantage, as he will get some exposure to maritime affairs and such, no?"

"Agreed," replied Louis, putting his arm out for a handshake.

Wilfrid returned the gesture, and shortly after, Louis left to deal with some other business. He, on the other hand, decided to get the ball rolling on this issue and began writing a letter to Préfontaine to request his presence in Quebec City immediately.​
'Cher Monsieur Préfontaine,

Je connait c'est tres inattendu, mais...'

If you're curious as to what that final text reads, it should say "Dear Mister Préfontaine, I know this is unexpected, but..."

Anyways, I wrote this literally the hour after the last update; I have no idea why, but I felt really, really motivated to write this. Perhaps it was the good reaction to it, or the fact that I was watching a really good movie at the time, but either way, this update came out way earlier than I thought I could write it.

Once again, I'd like to thank all of my readers, and say once again that you guys are truly awesome! :)

Also, just as a bonus, here's a picture of the current man of the hour, Raymond Préfontaine:​

Last edited:
That is an impressive mustache.

Oddly enough, he's one of the few non-European politicians of the time in real life who even had a mustache in the first place.

Here, with his new found prominence in politics, you should all expect mustaches to become fashionable in this Canada soon :p

Act 1.4
Act 1.4

"In all honesty, my first experiences as the Minister of Marine and Fisheries were rather frustrating. Dealing with both the Americans and the British at the Alaskan Boundary Talks and other conferences in such a short span of time placed a rather large strain on me, both mentally and physically. Wilfrid and several other of my colleagues were there to help, but I still felt uncomfortable at the talks due to the fact that most of the negotiating on our part would be done by the British.

We did suggest courses of action and we did voice our opinions on the matter, but ultimately, I feel as though we were there nominally. Complaints were made by Wilfrid to our British liaison, but they did nearly nothing to placate us. To make matters worse, neither side could even come up with a suitable resolution, leading to many adjourned meetings with feelings of anger and vexation. After the failure of the 1899 talks in London, Wilfrid took me aside and advised me to consult the Admiralty about the feasibility of a Canadian Naval Reserve, something that had caught me off guard.

At the time, there were lobby groups across Canada pressing for our own naval reserve, such as the Navy League of Canada. However, Wilfrid's statement, which he told me so bluntly and unexpectedly, was something that I did not believe him to have even considered. The political realities back then when English and French Canada were still rather cold to one another was not the optimal situation for creating a naval reserve. Nevertheless, I followed up with his recommendation and scheduled a meeting with the First Sea Lord of the Admiralty, Walter Kerr..."

- Excerpt from L'Homme de Montréal, the published memoirs and writings of Raymond Préfontaine.

26 Whitehall, London
October 13th, 1899

Raymond Préfontaine had been waiting rather patiently for his meeting with the First Sea Lord, having arrived at his residence at around 9:04 AM. He had originally scheduled a meeting for 9:15 AM, but given the yelling coming from the First Sea Lord's office, he smartly surmised that he would have to wait at least a bit longer. Fortunately for him, he was not along as there were others sitting alongside him waiting for their own appointments.

Almost all of them were wearing naval uniforms, presumably that of the Royal Navy. A quick glance was all he needed to see that there were several captains and admirals in the room, at least judging by the insignia-emblems present on each person. The man to his immediate right was a captain, and a rather youthful one at that.

'Perhaps a bit of small talk will make the time pass faster,' thought Raymond.

"So you're a captain in the Royal Navy, eh?"

The man looked at him somewhat oddly before replying, "Yes, how astute. And you're a politician, I presume? Judging by your accent, I'd say that you're French, right?"

"I am not French, but I certainly am a politician," he replied. "My name is Raymond Préfontaine, the Canadian Minister of Marine and Fisheries."

The captain looked at him yet again, though this time with a rather prominent grin.

"Well I'll be damned, another Canadian in the British Isles!" the man said, extending his hand out. Raymond returned the gesture as the man continued, "It's a pleasure to meet you! The name is Charles E. Kingsmill, and I'm a captain in the Royal Navy. I'm Canadian too, just like yourself."

"Ah, a kindred spirit. What's your business here, if you don't mind my asking?"

"Well, I'm here to receive my new appointment. I've been teaching at the Royal Naval College for the past year now, and it's been rather relaxing actually," he stated. "Though, I am admittedly keen on getting a new command after some considerable inaction. Why are you here Raymond?"

"I'm glad you asked, actually. You see, the Prime Minster has given me his consent for the beginning of talks with the Admiralty about the feasibility of a Canadian Naval Reserve."

Charles stared at him with an intrigued expression, clearly thinking about what he said.

"That's... that's rather surprising. I guess the Canadian government finally reached its sens-"

"Not exactly. Only Prime Minister Laurier and I know of this, so I'd prefer it if you could keep this to yourself Charles. I do not want the press associating this proposal with the recent conflict in South Africa."

"Of course," answered Charles. "Though you'll have to excuse me for my surprise, as I didn't think of Wilfrid as the type of man to pursue such a thing. I've known him personally through correspondence for a while now, and yet he's never hinted at anything like that."

"I can't really blame you for not knowing. This only came about because of those cursed Alaskan Boundary Talks. All of that endless argument and bickering... It can really frustrate a man, no matter who you may be."

"I'd imagine."

Just then the door to the First Sea Lord's office opened, an admiral having come out after the end of his loud "discussion." He turned to face the line of appointees, an angry expression present on his face.

"Good luck with dealing with the fool sitting in there!" he exclaimed, loud enough for the First Sea Lord himself to hear. The admiral left soon after, having left a room in a state of confusion before Raymond got up and prepared himself for his appointment.

"It's been a pleasure talking to you Charles."

"And to you as well, my friend."

Raymond entered the office of the First Sea Lord, whereupon sitting down he saw first hand the tired expression on the First Sea Lord. The argument that he had with that man who had preceded him clearly took its toll upon him.

"I do apologize if I appear out of it, Mister Préfontaine, but dealing with that devil Fisher is rather tiring," he said, wiping the sweat on his face.

"That is fine, Lord Kerr, just take your time to compose yourself. We'll be getting into our discussion soon enough."

'Hopefully, he won't be too adverse to my proposal for a Canadian militia after that tirade of his,' thought Raymond.

So here's another fast update. I've no idea why, but I feel really productive right now. In all seriousness though, do not expect an update for a while, like for a few days or so.

Anyways, the next individual introduced here is Charles E. Kingsmill, an actual member of the Royal Navy before resigning to lead the Royal Canadian Navy in real life. He had retired from the Royal Navy as an Admiral, and actually maintained a relationship with Laurier as mentioned in the story.

The events so far in this timeline of mine have been based off of actual events; for example, the proposal for a Canadian Naval Reserve really was made in 1899 in response to the Alaskan Boundary Talks. Also, we've finally started talking about the Navy! Still, it's gonna take a while for anything to realistically happen, so don't get your hopes up :D
That aside, I'd like to thank my readers again for being awesome as always! Please leave behind any questions or constructive criticisms, because it'll help me make the story better ;)

Last edited:
The events so far in this timeline of mine have been based off of actual events; for example, the proposal for a Canadian Naval Reserve really was made in 1899 in response to the Alaskan Boundary Talks. Also, we've finally started talking about the Navy! Still, it's gonna take a while for anything to realistically happen, so don't get your hopes up :D
Glad to hear it. The POD was a vary subtle one and would obviously take a long time for it's ripples to start becoming noticeable waves.

I liked the info about how far (or not, as the case may be) off OTL we are so far. I was going to ask about that till I saw it.

Glad to hear it. The POD was a vary subtle one and would obviously take a long time for it's ripples to start becoming noticeable waves.

I liked the info about how far (or not, as the case may be) off OTL we are so far. I was going to ask about that till I saw it.

Thanks! I do like to keep you guys informed as to how far off of the story currently is from OTL, so here's a summary:

(BTW, for those who don't know, OTL = Our Time Line, ITTL = In This Time Line, and IRL = In Real Life)

1. As per the statement in the OP, Henri Bourassa did attend a rally in Montreal denouncing the execution of Louis Riel. However, the difference from OTL is that he stayed behind to meet with one of the politicians, in this case Raymond Prefontaine.
  2. In real life, Henri Bourassa did go to the Ecole Polytechnique before subsequently dropping out the month after, then attending an American school before dropping out there. Many of the beliefs he held as a politician were developed during this tumultuous time, so by having Prefontaine secure his transfer into a program that better fits him, he won't go through the same exhaustion and doubt in himself as he did IOTL.
  3. In regards to the relationships that Prefontaine has with people in this story, all of that is true to life; he was really adept at using his connections to his advantage, namely during his time in Montreal. Heck, some of the few sources I used for this story said that he could have even challenged Laurier for party leadership due to his widespread support, though I still doubt it regardless.
  4. In OTL, both Prefontaine and Bourassa successfully ran for mayor in Montreal and Montebello, respectively. The only deviation here is that Prefontaine runs for mayor earlier, at a time when his support in Montreal was arguably at an all-time high.
  5. These terms as mayor lead to his recognition by the Liberal Party, specifically Laurier. Again, this did happen in real life when he had to appoint someone as the Minister of Marine and Fisheries in 1901.
  6. However, with his earlier and far more successful terms as mayor and the death of George E. King, Laurier is inclined to appoint Prefontaine as the new Minister of Marine and Fisheries in 1898, just as negotiations are underway with the Americans.
  7. And now we reach the current point of the story, wherein Prefontaine is in London to talk to the Admiralty about the proposal for a Canadian Naval Reserve. Unlike OTL, Prefontaine pursues the proposal differently, going directly to the First Sea Lord (who was being constantly harassed by Sir John Fisher, like in real life and in the story). Additionally, he acquaints himself with Charles E. Kingsmill, a man who would prove pivotal in real life for the foundation of the Royal Canadian Navy.
  8. As a bonus, here's a hint for the next chapter of the story; in OTL, the Canadian involvement in the Boer War was opposed by Henri Bourassa, who believed it to be just another way to get Canada intertwined with British Affairs. However, with his far more moderate views due to his different university experience and the influence of the prestige-minded Prefontaine, he is no longer the critic he was IOTL.

Rest assured, the butterflies are beginning to flap, at least in Canada for the moment. Like I said before, other nations will gradually be covered once they become relevant to the story. Who knows, maybe we'll even see a Kangaroo get mentioned here ;)

What's a Naval Reserve? A Navy operated training area that civilians are steered away from?

Exactly. It's simply another term for Naval Militia, wherein civilians are can be trained as non-professional sailors/soldiers and called up to service, which in this case means acting as a supplement for the British Naval forces in North America.

I'm sorry if the term was ambiguous, but I used it because my sources did as well. I probably should have defined it before I started using it :rolleyes:

Ironically, Germany's naval reserve was the world's largest when World War One started, dwarfing even Great Britain's.

Ironically, Germany's naval reserve was the world's largest when World War One started, dwarfing even Great Britain's.

Indeed, though it does make one would wonder why they'd have the biggest reserves when the size of their fleet could not even compare to the Royal Navy.

Indeed, though it does make one would wonder why they'd have the biggest reserves when the size of their fleet could not even compare to the Royal Navy.
to be fair Germany at the time was in a naval arms race with britain and probably built up their reserves with the assumption that they would be building more ships the them to man.

to be fair Germany at the time was in a naval arms race with britain and probably built up their reserves with the assumption that they would be building more ships the them to man.

That is true. I guess it was a case of them thinking in the long term rather than in the moment, which is fairly logical.

Act 1.5
Act 1.5
Sandy Hill District, Ottawa
October 14th, 1899

Even in the few days following the beginning of the Second Boer War, public opinion in Canada had already split into two different courses of action. To make matters worse, this split correlated directly to the language divide present at the time; English Canadians wholly supported the deployment of Canadian troops to support their British brothers, while French-Canadians believed that this war was a strictly British issue that Canada need not involve itself in.

It was a big issue, one that needed a resolution soon for both the sake of easing tensions within the nation and to placate the British. It was in this context that Wilfrid Laurier and several members of the Liberal Party found themselves discussing their options. They were currently residing in Wilfrid's home in the Sandy Hill District, far and away from the prying eyes of the newspapers and the public. While they all held varying opinions on the topic, they all regardless sought to end the problem before it became too big to deal with.

All of them were in his dining room, sat around a table with various papers and drinks spread across its surface. Wilfrid, as always, sat at the head of the table. To his right and left were Frederick W. Borden (Minister for Militia and Defence) and William S. Fielding (Minister of Finance), respectively. In the chair directly opposite to Wilfrid's sat the Henri Bourassa, newly-appointed Minister without Portfolio. To his left was Joseph I. Tarte (Minister of Public Works), while the chair to his right was occupied by Richard R. Dobell, the only other Minister without Portfolio.

So far, the arguments as to whether or not Canada would send troops was still relatively amicable. Frederick led the arguments for Canada's involvement, arguing that it was their duty to help the Empire and that they could use the opportunity to reform the Canadian militia. Joseph was fully against the idea, citing that Canada was its own country and had no obligations to fight in such a far-away conflict. Wilfrid and some of the others were still largely undecided, as both sides have their own merits.

"...which is why we must provide support for the British. They, at the very least, would provide concessions of some kind in return for our help," said Fredrick. "Seeing one of their own dominions fighting alongside would paint a very positive image of us to them."

Fredrick showed them a newspaper from The Globe, the headline on it being the staggering defeat of the British by the Boers at the settlement of Kraaipan. "I'm sure you've all seen the news. A British defeat at the hands of a few rebels, probably the first in a very long time. If we can help them turn it around, they'll be grateful!"

"While I cannot deny the possible goodwill we'll receive for fighting there," replied Joseph, "I need not remind you of the fact that this fight is one that is much too far for us to engage in. If this was, say, a policing action in the Caribbean, I'd have no qualms with it but this is South Africa we're talking about."

"We could probably ascertain a means of transportation for our troops from the British," he answered back.

"You don't seem to understand. Transporting our troops is one thing, but how are we going to gather together those troops in the first place? And who says that they will be willing to fight in the first place?"

A short silence fell upon the table, as Fredrick could not rebuff that last point. He decided to ask someone else for their opinion, in an attempt to salvage his position.

"Henri, what do you think of this whole debacle? I've yet to hear what you have on your mind."

Henri shuffled in his chair somewhat, having been caught off-guard by the question. He took a quick sip of the glass in front of him, before he began to speak.

"To put it simply, I believe that both of you have made rather valid points. While I'm inclined to agree with Joseph that we can't send unwilling men to fight, I also think that we should render some form of aid to the British."

"So what do you propose?" questioned Joseph.

"I am no expert on the matter," he admitted, "but I'll say this; if there are men willing to fight, then we should allow them the opportunity to do so, supporting them with the proper equipment and transportation.

"Hmm... I believe I can agree with that," stated Fredrick. "I'll put out a notice to the militia to seek out men who are interested, as well as a notice in some of the papers."

Nods from all around the table showed their agreement with Henri's proposal, though Joseph remained adamant. All eyes turned to him as he prepared to respond.

"As fair as this compromise is, gentlemen, there remains the issue of the opposition shown to any sort of Canadian mission to South Africa. If we bring this to Parliament, it might be seen as the English Canadians trying to force their will upon the government."

"Then put my name on it," answered Henri. "Make it known that it was me who came up with the idea across the newspapers and memos. If they know it was me, then perhaps we can stop the tensions from rising any further. Especially if I can convince some of my acquaintances in Montreal to vocalize their support."

"Are you certain you want to do this Henri? If this ends in failure, you'll be blamed for it," said Wilfrid.

"Do it. The sooner we can get this bureaucracy out of the way, the sooner we can get those troops over."

"I think that's something we can all agree upon. We'll go through with your plan then, Henri. You're all dismissed."

As his Cabinet ministers said their good-byes and left, Wilfrid took another look at that newspaper that Fredrick had shown earlier.

'Oh God, I hope I haven't made a mistake. Otherwise, the blood that will be on our hands will kill us where we stand,' he thought.

Sorry for the delay, but I've had to focus on school-related matters recently (specifically because of Advanced Functions. Damned variables).

This is only the first of few updates dealing with the Boer War. This first one was written to establish Bourassa's disposition on the matter, which is radically different from OTL in that he actually supports the deployment of volunteers this time around. The next update will deal with some of the more subtle effects of the Boer War in my story.

The Royal Canadian Navy will be the focus of the next few updates after that. Plus a Kangaroo, if you know what I mean (look at the title).

Once more, I'd like to thank my readers again for being awesome as always! Please leave behind any questions or constructive criticisms, because it'll help me make the story better ;)

Last edited:
Back