What would a world with Dragon Riders Look like?

Alright, so ... the first thing I'm going to do is go through the dragons themselves. Frankly, I don't think they're particularly plausible.

The first issue isn't their size, although that may be one that I'll get to later. No, the big problem is that they're hexapodal. I can't think of a single other animal on Earth that has six limbs; insects and bugs, yes, but no animals or birds. They all have four limbs, and in the case of fliers they're divided into two 'feet' and the 'wings' - which are basically specialized forelimbs/arms, anyway. So the dragons envisaged for the thread are unlikely to have come about biologically, particularly since the dragons appear to follow the traditional fantasy trope of being equally comfortable on the ground or in the air. That is ... difficult to explain biologically. Why should this animal have evolved to have equal facility on the ground and in the air? It is not a sensible arrangement to have evolved naturally - either they would be primarily land-movers, and so lose the wings, or they would be primarily fliers, and so have more standard wings, as with the wyvern-style dragons seen in Skyrim, Reign of Fire, and good old Vermithrax Pejorative. This is because there isn't really much of a benefit to having six limbs and both forms of movement, and biology and evolution tend to do away with things that don't have much benefit. A dragon with two forelimb-wings and two feet is going to be a better flier than a six-limbed dragon; a dragon with no wings and just four legs is going to be able to be bigger and tougher, because it doesn't need to fly. A six-limbed dragon ... can fly and can walk, but it's not going to be very effective and it's going to get out-competed. Related is the way wings work - a four-limbed flier is able to put all that mass in the chest to work on the wings. If you have a six-limbed flier, though, with the wings attaching to the back, you run into problems, because in order to get muscles powerful enough to actually lift it from such a poor place, you need to have a broad, deep back, which means you aren't getting a graceful body and you have to dig into the body's mass anyway and reduce the amount of space for things like lungs and other really important organs, not to mention the front limbs themselves. There are some potential workarounds - some sort of internal lift-gas is a favorite - but then you have to deal with that and how it interacts with the placement of everything else in the body ... and it would help if you explained how the dragon got those lift-gases in the first place.

Now, you want flying dragons, so that puts us in the wyvern-style camp of dragons. Good news is, they're going to be pretty good at flying. Bad news, they're pretty much guaranteed to be pretty damn light and fragile. The largest known flying creature is estimated to have massed up to 250 kilograms, a far cry from the six-ton behemoths you want. This is because flying is hard, and lifting a big, heavy body is even harder, so fliers want to be no heavier than they need to be. A flying dragon would probably not have much in the way of protection - thin scales and no big chunks of bone or anything like that - but they would probably be better at the whole fire-breathing thing than non-flying dragons, because being better at fire-breathing is beneficial to them: a ranged attack option means they don't need heavy protection or claws and they can focus on trying to go fast and/or long. Now, 'better' flames is a broad category, and a lot is going to depend on how fire-breathing works. Which is a bit of a can of worms itself; best option is probably to go the Reign of Fire route and not have them actually breathe fire, but have a pair of chemicals that, when combined with each other and air, burn, and have them spit the chemicals in a liquidy jet. Anyway, 'better' flames would likely be either a larger reservoir or more powerful spitting muscles for better range and/or better control - combining the chemicals at different ranges so the fire starts farther or closer.

Now, terrestrial dragons have their own benefits. First, the Dragon Domestication Project makes a lot more sense for them than it does for fliers - man already has experience taming horses and elephants, so a dragon isn't too much different from what they already know. Flying dragons require a huge paradigm shift in terms of controlling the mount, never mind actually keeping them constrained long enough to actually get them domesticated. Continuing their theme of War Elephant 5.0, terrestrial dragons likely wouldn't have fire-breathing ability, but they would be heavily-armored and probably capable of a surprising turn of speed for short distances. Their biggest drawback, of course, would be food - the larger the animal, the more nutrition it needs, especially if it's going to be doing high-intensity activities regularly.

Anyway, that's 800+ words dealt with. Now to go into some other topics ....

So if, for example, the Sarmatians developed dragon-taming to a high art and smashed the Romans (or the Parthians) with an army of dragons, that would be a huge deal and a major departure from our own historic record, with attendant ripple effects.
Here's a good one, especially since it connects nicely to the topic of religion. So, let's assume that in the mid-to-late 60s AD, an army of Sarmatians reinforced by dragon-riders smashed into the eastern territories of the Roman Empire. In order to see just what would happen, we need to know some things about what's going on in Rome around that time. Fortunately, there's Wikipedia. Hmm ...
  • AD 60: Queen Boudica of The Iceni in England launches a rebellion against The Romans. Tens of thousands die and the Roman army is massively damaged. The Rebellion fails and Boadicea commits suicide by poisoning herself. Three major cities are obliterated.
  • AD 64: Great Fire of Rome, first Roman mass Persecution of Christians, earliest significant recognition of Christians in Rome.
  • AD 6673: First Jewish-Roman War.
  • AD 69: Cartimandua, Queen of the Brigantes in Northern England, is overthrown in a civil war. Her unpopular alliance with Rome, the betrayal of Caratacus and her love for someone other than her husband are the three reasons which led to her demise. The Action enraged the Romans so much that they conquered and annexed The Kingdom.
Well. So we have a revolt by the Jews, dissent and disorder in Brittania, and ... the Christians. Remember what I said about dragons perhaps being more demonized than they traditionally were in our world? Thirty years after Jesus is crucified, and an army of dragon-riders appears and tries to destroy Rome? Talk about the devil interfering with life on Earth! Of course, this could have a few effects - the Christians could become even more systematically persecuted, since, after all, these dragon-riders only appeared after the Christians started making a fuss, and haven't we Romans always been welcoming of other peoples' religions? So you have Christianity never really catching on, because it's associated with bad news and destruction. Or perhaps it does catch on, more ferociously than in our timeline, because of the tribalism effect. :shrug: Who can tell? You could probably write a whole book on the subject!

But about those rebellions - depending on how well the Sarmatians do, you could very well be looking at complete Roman withdrawal from those areas. Temporarily, probably, unless the Sarmatians are ridiculously successful. But even temporary freedom from Roman rule would make their return probably troublesome, and if they're weakened sufficiently the Romans may well decide that permanent withdrawal from one or another area is the better choice. A Britain without as much Roman influence, but with a power vacuum for some enterprising warlord to control; or the Jews not being subjected to the Diaspora and loss of their homeland. The butterflies from the latter in particular are literally incalculable - never mind whatever effects on regional politics a Jewish state might have, in the future you don't have as many Jews in Europe, so you don't have the money-lending underclass, you don't have the ghettoes and anti-Semitism, you don't have any of that! Europe is fundamentally altered (I mean, apart from whatever other butterflies get introduced by dragons existing).

And that assumes that there aren't previous butterflies, that Rome expanded where and when it did as in our timeline, while the presence of angry lizards (either stripe!) would probably have altered much more than that by 1 AD. Maybe Julius Caesar is killed by a rampaging dragon that was thought to be subdued when he first visits Britain, or maybe the Teutones don't have the numbers to fight the Romans in 105 BC due to fleeing from marauding dragons, so the Cimbrian War never happens and Marius never rises in power to challenge Sulla so there's no Sullan Civil Wars.

I mean, you are asking about a really complicated scenario, and the 'right answer' is basically "whatever you can reasonably explain." Dragon-riding warlords? Dragons hunted to near-extinction with few changes to history? Something in between? They're all equally valid, it's just a matter of going into the detail on the hows and whys - the important things that explain how people were able to tame or domesticate dragons. Human-dragon interactions before then. Mythology about and worship of dragons. I'm completely serious about 'you could write a book,' because "Earth, but with dragons" isn't exactly an unknown phenomenon. Off the top of my head, the Temeraire series exists, and IIRC it basically just uses "Earth happened, and also there are dragons." Like, Napoleon Bonaparte and George III and Frederick William of Prussia are all characters in the series, so there's basically no changes to society except that there are dragons. It's kept secret that one particular breed of dragon only takes female riders because sexism is exactly the same as it was in reality at that point in time.

Alright, so ... the first thing I'm going to do is go through the dragons themselves. Frankly, I don't think they're particularly plausible.

The first issue isn't their size, although that may be one that I'll get to later. No, the big problem is that they're hexapodal. I can't think of a single other animal on Earth that has six limbs; insects and bugs, yes, but no animals or birds. They all have four limbs, and in the case of fliers they're divided into two 'feet' and the 'wings' - which are basically specialized forelimbs/arms, anyway. So the dragons envisaged for the thread are unlikely to have come about biologically, particularly since the dragons appear to follow the traditional fantasy trope of being equally comfortable on the ground or in the air. That is ... difficult to explain biologically. Why should this animal have evolved to have equal facility on the ground and in the air? It is not a sensible arrangement to have evolved naturally - either they would be primarily land-movers, and so lose the wings, or they would be primarily fliers, and so have more standard wings, as with the wyvern-style dragons seen in Skyrim, Reign of Fire, and good old Vermithrax Pejorative. This is because there isn't really much of a benefit to having six limbs and both forms of movement, and biology and evolution tend to do away with things that don't have much benefit. A dragon with two forelimb-wings and two feet is going to be a better flier than a six-limbed dragon; a dragon with no wings and just four legs is going to be able to be bigger and tougher, because it doesn't need to fly. A six-limbed dragon ... can fly and can walk, but it's not going to be very effective and it's going to get out-competed. Related is the way wings work - a four-limbed flier is able to put all that mass in the chest to work on the wings. If you have a six-limbed flier, though, with the wings attaching to the back, you run into problems, because in order to get muscles powerful enough to actually lift it from such a poor place, you need to have a broad, deep back, which means you aren't getting a graceful body and you have to dig into the body's mass anyway and reduce the amount of space for things like lungs and other really important organs, not to mention the front limbs themselves. There are some potential workarounds - some sort of internal lift-gas is a favorite - but then you have to deal with that and how it interacts with the placement of everything else in the body ... and it would help if you explained how the dragon got those lift-gases in the first place.

Now, you want flying dragons, so that puts us in the wyvern-style camp of dragons. Good news is, they're going to be pretty good at flying. Bad news, they're pretty much guaranteed to be pretty damn light and fragile. The largest known flying creature is estimated to have massed up to 250 kilograms, a far cry from the six-ton behemoths you want. This is because flying is hard, and lifting a big, heavy body is even harder, so fliers want to be no heavier than they need to be. A flying dragon would probably not have much in the way of protection - thin scales and no big chunks of bone or anything like that - but they would probably be better at the whole fire-breathing thing than non-flying dragons, because being better at fire-breathing is beneficial to them: a ranged attack option means they don't need heavy protection or claws and they can focus on trying to go fast and/or long. Now, 'better' flames is a broad category, and a lot is going to depend on how fire-breathing works. Which is a bit of a can of worms itself; best option is probably to go the Reign of Fire route and not have them actually breathe fire, but have a pair of chemicals that, when combined with each other and air, burn, and have them spit the chemicals in a liquidy jet. Anyway, 'better' flames would likely be either a larger reservoir or more powerful spitting muscles for better range and/or better control - combining the chemicals at different ranges so the fire starts farther or closer.

Now, terrestrial dragons have their own benefits. First, the Dragon Domestication Project makes a lot more sense for them than it does for fliers - man already has experience taming horses and elephants, so a dragon isn't too much different from what they already know. Flying dragons require a huge paradigm shift in terms of controlling the mount, never mind actually keeping them constrained long enough to actually get them domesticated. Continuing their theme of War Elephant 5.0, terrestrial dragons likely wouldn't have fire-breathing ability, but they would be heavily-armored and probably capable of a surprising turn of speed for short distances. Their biggest drawback, of course, would be food - the larger the animal, the more nutrition it needs, especially if it's going to be doing high-intensity activities regularly.

Anyway, that's 800+ words dealt with. Now to go into some other topics ....

Here's a good one, especially since it connects nicely to the topic of religion. So, let's assume that in the mid-to-late 60s AD, an army of Sarmatians reinforced by dragon-riders smashed into the eastern territories of the Roman Empire. In order to see just what would happen, we need to know some things about what's going on in Rome around that time. Fortunately, there's Wikipedia. Hmm ...
Well. So we have a revolt by the Jews, dissent and disorder in Brittania, and ... the Christians. Remember what I said about dragons perhaps being more demonized than they traditionally were in our world? Thirty years after Jesus is crucified, and an army of dragon-riders appears and tries to destroy Rome? Talk about the devil interfering with life on Earth! Of course, this could have a few effects - the Christians could become even more systematically persecuted, since, after all, these dragon-riders only appeared after the Christians started making a fuss, and haven't we Romans always been welcoming of other peoples' religions? So you have Christianity never really catching on, because it's associated with bad news and destruction. Or perhaps it does catch on, more ferociously than in our timeline, because of the tribalism effect. :shrug: Who can tell? You could probably write a whole book on the subject!

But about those rebellions - depending on how well the Sarmatians do, you could very well be looking at complete Roman withdrawal from those areas. Temporarily, probably, unless the Sarmatians are ridiculously successful. But even temporary freedom from Roman rule would make their return probably troublesome, and if they're weakened sufficiently the Romans may well decide that permanent withdrawal from one or another area is the better choice. A Britain without as much Roman influence, but with a power vacuum for some enterprising warlord to control; or the Jews not being subjected to the Diaspora and loss of their homeland. The butterflies from the latter in particular are literally incalculable - never mind whatever effects on regional politics a Jewish state might have, in the future you don't have as many Jews in Europe, so you don't have the money-lending underclass, you don't have the ghettoes and anti-Semitism, you don't have any of that! Europe is fundamentally altered (I mean, apart from whatever other butterflies get introduced by dragons existing).

And that assumes that there aren't previous butterflies, that Rome expanded where and when it did as in our timeline, while the presence of angry lizards (either stripe!) would probably have altered much more than that by 1 AD. Maybe Julius Caesar is killed by a rampaging dragon that was thought to be subdued when he first visits Britain, or maybe the Teutones don't have the numbers to fight the Romans in 105 BC due to fleeing from marauding dragons, so the Cimbrian War never happens and Marius never rises in power to challenge Sulla so there's no Sullan Civil Wars.

I mean, you are asking about a really complicated scenario, and the 'right answer' is basically "whatever you can reasonably explain." Dragon-riding warlords? Dragons hunted to near-extinction with few changes to history? Something in between? They're all equally valid, it's just a matter of going into the detail on the hows and whys - the important things that explain how people were able to tame or domesticate dragons. Human-dragon interactions before then. Mythology about and worship of dragons. I'm completely serious about 'you could write a book,' because "Earth, but with dragons" isn't exactly an unknown phenomenon. Off the top of my head, the Temeraire series exists, and IIRC it basically just uses "Earth happened, and also there are dragons." Like, Napoleon Bonaparte and George III and Frederick William of Prussia are all characters in the series, so there's basically no changes to society except that there are dragons. It's kept secret that one particular breed of dragon only takes female riders because sexism is exactly the same as it was in reality at that point in time.

What about Asia as a whole?

*Throws up hands and walks away from thread*

In my travels through the multiverse, I've uncovered some supporting documentation towards your points:

Article:
The Year of Our Lord 1455

Brother,

I write this here in the journal, as I am stricken. Affliceted. My legs no longer work, brother.

It has been so long since I saw you last. I miss you. I miss your laugh. But the fields need tilling. And our land dragon has since passed away.

Of course, the biomechanical realities of dragons require them to be both six tons and viable require a complex biologiy, and a need for immense amounts of energy. Energy granted by food.

Brother, they changed the flight path to over our home.

It's gone now.

It's been airstriked. Liquidfied flying dragon shit at terminal velocity killed our mother. Our house is in ruins, the entire structure riddled with holes.

Even I, as I tended the fields, was struck.

One moment, I was out with my shovel.

The next, darkness. I woke up, and saw the partially digested cow head on my legs. The reeking liquid around it had congealed into a mass, and I had to pull myself out from it.

Crawling all the way back to the ruins of our house.

Brother, I fear I may die. There is no help coming. You are too far away, and I have no way to get word to you. I shall try to crawl to the village, but I fear I will not make.

Love, your brother,

Bernard.

Fuck dragons.
Source: The Journal of Bernard Kurtz

In my travels through the multiverse, I've uncovered some supporting documentation towards your points:

Article:
The Year of Our Lord 1455

Brother,

I write this here in the journal, as I am stricken. Affliceted. My legs no longer work, brother.

It has been so long since I saw you last. I miss you. I miss your laugh. But the fields need tilling. And our land dragon has since passed away.

Of course, the biomechanical realities of dragons require them to be both six tons and viable require a complex biologiy, and a need for immense amounts of energy. Energy granted by food.

Brother, they changed the flight path to over our home.

It's gone now.

It's been airstriked. Liquidfied flying dragon shit at terminal velocity killed our mother. Our house is in ruins, the entire structure riddled with holes.

Even I, as I tended the fields, was struck.

One moment, I was out with my shovel.

The next, darkness. I woke up, and saw the partially digested cow head on my legs. The reeking liquid around it had congealed into a mass, and I had to pull myself out from it.

Crawling all the way back to the ruins of our house.

Brother, I fear I may die. There is no help coming. You are too far away, and I have no way to get word to you. I shall try to crawl to the village, but I fear I will not make.

Love, your brother,

Bernard.

Fuck dragons.
Source: The Journal of Bernard Kurtz

:???:
Okay.

Anyone want to talk about how marriage would work? Especially if Dragon Riders, all male, can marry, which they do in practice, anyone so long as they make a good wife?

Anyone want to talk about how marriage would work? Especially if Dragon Riders, all male, can marry, which they do in practice, anyone so long as they make a good wife?
Obviously the dragon has to approve.

I mean, can you imagine being in a relationship with someone, and your dragon doesn't like the girl (or guy) and is jealous about the time you spend with them?

Imagine the world's most possessive and territorial cat, crossed with the most jealous girlfriend, but it's a giant fire-breathing lizard that can go out flying and watch your date from the skies.

No thanks; Make sure to only date the folks that your dragon sets you up with. It's just easier if you play along with your dragon's ships than to try to go against them.

Obviously the dragon has to approve.

I mean, can you imagine being in a relationship with someone, and your dragon doesn't like the girl (or guy) and is jealous about the time you spend with them?

Imagine the world's most possessive and territorial cat, crossed with the most jealous girlfriend, but it's a giant fire-breathing lizard that can go out flying and watch your date from the skies.

No thanks; Make sure to only date the folks that your dragon sets you up with. It's just easier if you play along with your dragon's ships than to try to go against them.

OR better yet if they are willing to spend their life living with a giant lizard. So yep. The Dragon better approve of this squishy female in your life or someone might die from heat.

And by heat I mean fire.

I imagine there could be a tradition where the dragonriders who marry also encourage their dragons to mate.

Dragons already mate in this world.

So I decided to create a random map showing the spread of dragons from 1 AD onwards. Red shows where Dragon Riders first appeared in the year 1 AD but didn't have expert knowledge on how to control dragons and their appropriate limitations.

Orange is the year 60 AD-80 AD where a Dragon Riding Conquorer controls and manages to overtake these lands.

Yellow is the year 80-100 AD.

Green is the final twenty year campaign from 100-120 AD.

However even during this time period there have been multiple losses. Blue is former area that was once controlled by the Dragon Rider Nation but then lost for various reasons while purple is still contested and volatile conflict zones even three hundred years later.

What do you think?

World

So I decided to create a random map showing the spread of dragons from 1 AD onwards. Red shows where Dragon Riders first appeared in the year 1 AD but didn't have expert knowledge on how to control dragons and their appropriate limitations.

Orange is the year 60 AD-80 AD where a Dragon Riding Conquorer controls and manages to overtake these lands.

Yellow is the year 80-100 AD.

Green is the final twenty year campaign from 100-120 AD.

However even during this time period there have been multiple losses. Blue is former area that was once controlled by the Dragon Rider Nation but then lost for various reasons while purple is still contested and volatile conflict zones even three hundred years later.

What do you think?

World

Doesn't really make much sense.

Shouldn't their conquests have been directed into areas with desirable resources and conquerable civilizations? Why are they expanding in all directions at a more or less even rate? WTF do they want out of northern Siberia?

And why are the only dragonriders in the world suddenly appearing in Tibet in 1 AD? Didn't you say dragons are native to the entire subarctic ring? Shouldn't it be people up there who first started taming them?

Last edited:
Would dragons be driven extinct in the modern era though? Aircraft and anti-air cannons would decimate them at the minimum. Also modern ideas that would not be conductive to allowing dragons to exist, unless cultures and religion evolved to be more positive about them.

What would change if the dragon sizes were much bigger as shown here:

Case 1:

Case 2:

Doesn't really make much sense.

Shouldn't their conquests have been directed into areas with desirable resources and conquerable civilizations? Why are they expanding in all directions at a more or less even rate? WTF do they want out of northern Siberia?

And why are the only dragonriders in the world suddenly appearing in Tibet in 1 AD? Didn't you say dragons are native to the entire subarctic ring? Shouldn't it be people up there who first started taming them?

Good point. And that I'd why my world building sucks. Also I did start with the Himalaya mountains for this case although I would be interested to see your ideas if it was sub artic

Back