What is the Purpose of a Setting?

But we're talking about the value of the setting as a concept, which you seem to be dismissing because you don't actually understand what you're talking about.
I've actual not disagreed with anyone in the sense that a setting gives things context. I'm saying that it ranks 3rd in overall importance to a story, first is plot, than characters, than setting. And sure exceptions exist like all rules but overall that is the general idea. That was my point with West Side Story. That the plot and characters of Romeo and Juliet can be put in any setting and tell basically the same story and themes.

I've actual not disagreed with anyone in the sense that a setting gives things context. I'm saying that it ranks 3rd in overall importance to a story, first is plot, than characters, than setting. And sure exceptions exist like all rules but overall that is the general idea. That was my point with West Side Story. That the plot and characters of Romeo and Juliet can be put in any setting and tell basically the same story and themes.
See this is wrong. Plot characters and settings exist in symbiosis and there's literally no way to write a story without all three.
West Side Story ported plot and characters but changed setting and in doing that created a new story. Just because you can change one (actually you can change all three, really) doesn't mean it's less important.

Last edited:
Ok let me see if I get you right: Because you can switch up the setting but keep the plot and characters and get a story with the same themes and feel, then setting is less important?

Let's go back a bit to what Temp was talking about. Stories have and I quote, "Theme, style, plot, character, and setting".
If you keep the theme, then the theme will be the same. This is horribly tautological, yes, but I kinda wanna point out that theme is not something you get from the story, it's something you put into the story. Same with style, which you prolly conflated with theme.

And the story itself isn't the same. It changed due to the new setting.

So your argument doesn't hold water.

But nothing on stage should be there for the sake of being there. If a character brings up something about the history or a character talks about how "downtown isn't the same anymore" it better matter to the over all plot. Nothing in a story should be there for the sake of having it.
Actually I missed this the first time.
If somebody's talking about how "downtown isn't the same anymore" it's probably trying to sell the idea that downtown has changed (omg nowai) and he's not happy about it. He may feel alienated, or perhaps it's a story about life and change, or one of those little details to mark the passage of time. Note how that isn't directly relevant to the plot, but it's not gratuitous at all.

Last edited:
I don't understand this, please explain.
Oh man I barely understand that stuff myself (I mean sure I get it but it's this sorta-instinctual thing) if you really want to learn then you better start paying attention to the guys that actually studied literature.

But, like, it's the overall message of the story, you know? The plot will drive the characters to do a bunch of stuff in order to communicate something to the reader and that something is basically the theme.
Like, Fullmetal Alchemist. It's got themes about war, revenge and family and the plot is built around that. Scar, for example, is all about the cycle of revenge and its consequences, plus his own relationship to his brother. The overall plot is driven by Ed and Al's quest to more or less "repair" their family. And so on.
So the writer will choose a theme, and that will influence the setting, plot and characters. Like the setting, it ties everything into coherence. (Which probably explains why so many 'for the sake of cool' stories are so incoherent. They don't know what they're trying to say so they just meander around trying to hit the notes and having no idea why they sound off)

Last edited:
Actually I missed this the first time.
If somebody's talking about how "downtown isn't the same anymore" it's probably trying to sell the idea that downtown has changed (omg nowai) and he's not happy about it. He may feel alienated, or perhaps it's a story about life and change, or one of those little details to mark the passage of time. Note how that isn't directly relevant to the plot, but it's not gratuitous at all.
That's my point. Something like that informs the characters and such. But at the same time a detail like that should only be there if it does inform on the character. If the guy is just saying it to say it it's meaningless air. For an example of what I feel writers should avoid doing I've seen in many fantasy stories a writer will give the name of a location then lavish all this detail on why it's called that. That's fine if that detail is going to be anything more than fluff. But if it's just there because "hey wouldn't that a neat detail" jettison it from the story. If your audience is seeing something or reading something it needs to matter in someway. It should inform the characters or drive the plot or give a context that the readers need to understand the story. If it doesn't do that then it needs as little detail as possible.

Oh man I barely understand that stuff myself (I mean sure I get it but it's this sorta-instinctual thing) if you really want to learn then you better start paying attention to the guys that actually studied literature.

But, like, it's the overall message of the story, you know? The plot will drive the characters to do a bunch of stuff in order to communicate something to the reader and that something is basically the theme.
I know that it's your wording that confuses me. What do you mean by
but I kinda wanna point out that theme is not something you get from the story, it's something you put into the story.

Last edited:
You don't go into a story just throwing shit in and hoping it sticks. You go into a story knowing the message you want to convey through it.

Like, Arakawa didn't just go into Fullmetal Alchemist thinking "Hey, you know what'd be a cool backstory for Roy? WAR. HE TOTALLY MURDERED PEOPLE FOR ANGST." Rather, she went into the story knowing the themes she wanted to write about; the heavy price paid for war and the pointlessness of it all, the cycle of revenge and the way it can only be broken by forgiving, accepting, or moving on, the nebulous concept of "family" and how a broken family is trying to pull itself back together...

And then, everything she crafted actually went into supporting those themes. She didn't include a bunch of backstory on the war and the characters involved in it because it was fun; she crafted their backstories to enhance those themes.

You don't go into a story just throwing shit in and hoping it sticks. You go into a story knowing the message you want to convey through it.

Like, Arakawa didn't just go into Fullmetal Alchemist thinking "Hey, you know what'd be a cool backstory for Roy? WAR. HE TOTALLY MURDERED PEOPLE FOR ANGST." Rather, she went into the story knowing the themes she wanted to write about; the heavy price paid for war and the pointlessness of it all, the cycle of revenge and the way it can only be broken by forgiving, accepting, or moving on, the nebulous concept of "family" and how a broken family is trying to pull itself back together...

And then, everything she crafted actually went into supporting those themes. She didn't include a bunch of backstory on the war and the characters involved in it because it was fun; she crafted their backstories to enhance those themes.
I'm specifically confused one what is meant by "put into the story not get from the story" who is this talking about? The reader? The writer? What does get vs put mean in this context?

I'm specifically confused one what is meant by "put into the story not get from the story" who is this talking about? The reader? The writer? What does get vs put mean in this context?
Put in the story = It's something the author deliberately included in an attempt to sell a message.

Get from the story = It's something the reader draws from the story and the events therein.

Funnily enough, it's a hotly debated topic amongst a literary crowd. Still, when you get a decent story written by a decent author, there shouldn't really be any question about it because the themes should be pretty clear to anyone paying attention.

Put in the story = It's something the author deliberately included in an attempt to sell a message.

Get from the story = It's something the reader draws from the story and the events therein.

Funnily enough, it's a hotly debated topic amongst a literary crowd. Still, when you get a decent story written by a decent author, there shouldn't really be any question about it because the themes should be pretty clear to anyone paying attention.
I'm still confused.

I mean you don't throw plot characters setting mix thoroughly bake for 30min and ohey I got a thing along with my story that's cool.
It's not something unexpected that popped out while reading it.
You deliberately went through the effort to put that thing into the story when you were crafting it.

The metaphorical you is the writer, yes.

That's my point. Something like that informs the characters and such. But at the same time a detail like that should only be there if it does inform on the character. If the guy is just saying it to say it it's meaningless air. For an example of what I feel writers should avoid doing I've seen in many fantasy stories a writer will give the name of a location then lavish all this detail on why it's called that. That's fine if that detail is going to be anything more than fluff. But if it's just there because "hey wouldn't that a neat detail" jettison it from the story. If your audience is seeing something or reading something it needs to matter in someway. It should inform the characters or drive the plot or give a context that the readers need to understand the story. If it doesn't do that then it needs as little detail as possible.
Btw the thing here you're talking about is people breaking the flow of the story with overexposition. This, for the record, is actually unrelated to what exactly they're expositing about.

It is indeed a bad thing and many bad writers are indeed prone to doing it with their lovingly-crafted setting details.
But I've seen just as many doing it with lovingly-crafted character descriptions.
Or hell, with their characters actions. Purple prose, man. Hell of a thing.

And nothing wrong with adding some neat details for flavor. They're flavor, after all. Just, you know, don't dump the entire jar of chilli powder into the soup.

Last edited:
Btw the thing here you're talking about is people breaking the flow of the story with overexposition. This, for the record, is actually unrelated to what exactly they're expositing about.

It is indeed a bad thing and many bad writers are indeed prone to doing it with their lovingly-crafted setting details.
But I've seen just as many doing it with lovingly-crafted character descriptions.
Or hell, with their characters actions. Purple prose, man. Hell of a thing.

And nothing wrong with adding some neat details for flavor. They're flavor, after all. Just, you know, don't dump the entire jar of chilli powder into the soup.
I think the big issue is a lot of people are using a lot of technical terms. I've gotten lost in translation.

Well perhaps if you had an education in literature you'd know what they're talking about!

Oh wait.

...er, I understand what is being said without studying in Literature.

I've never been good in school.

He's the one that started with the tone. I responded in kind.
Look if you can't figure out the difference between what he said (note that he never insulted you or your intelligence or even your ignorance (which btw is a legit word to signify the lack of knowledge)) and what you said then this conversation has no further point.

I/we pretty much explained everything to do with this particular thread, anyways.
Unless Temp feels like doing that "how to write a setting" thing but that'll take some time I bet.

Look if you can't figure out the difference between what he said (note that he never insulted you or your intelligence or even your ignorance (which btw is a legit word to signify the lack of knowledge)) and what you said then this conversation has no further point.
I still didn't need the attitude. And you know the image of someone laughing at me. That was just fucking unnecessary.

Back