What if Video Games had been marketed to girls since the 1980s?

Yeah, but that is not programming, that is the stuff you have a compiler for, writing a program is not doing calculations it is writing an algorithm to solve the calculation for you at the level appropriate for the hardware. You also did not write it as equations as that ends in writing non-deterministic stuff that is in no way optimized to be calculated in the lifetime of the universe.
The original ENIAC programming team was all women. The person who popularized the term "bug" was Grace Hopper, one of the first programmers of the Harvard Mark I computer among other things.

Basically, women had major roles in early programming, until most were systematically reduced to mere computers.

The original ENIAC programming team was all women. The person who popularized the term "bug" was Grace Hopper, one of the first programmers of the Harvard Mark I computer among other things.

Basically, women had major roles in early programming, until most were systematically reduced to mere computers.

Also, y'know, compilers didn't exist until 1951.

The person who popularized the term "bug" was Grace Hopper, one of the first programmers of the Harvard Mark I computer among other things.
The term bug stands for literal bugs, as in insects that got fried and destroyed the hardware. If you have looked at the link you posted you would see that the term bug is older than her. The source dates it as older than 1878. It still doesn't change that programming is not giving computers the input they need to function, as even in the most primitive language there is in programming, that is just activating the the right gates on the chip, the programming is in thinking about how the algorithm works and not how to type it in. I am not saying woman haven't programmed stuff, I am saying that programming is not typing stuff into computers.

The term bug stands for literal bugs, as in insects that got fried and destroyed the hardware. If you have looked at the link you posted you would see that the term bug is older than her.
And if you look at the very line you quoted, it said "popularized", not "originated".

Also, this is an old pattern. Deny or steal all the credit for anything interesting or important done by women, then claim that women don't do anything important.

And if you look at the very line you quoted, it said "popularized", not "originated".
Here is the wiki quote about bugs "The term "bug" to describe defects has been a part of engineering jargon since the 1870s and predates electronic computers and computer software; it may have originally been used in hardware engineering to describe mechanical malfunctions. For instance, Thomas Edison wrote the following words in a letter to an associate in 1878:It has been just so in all of my inventions. The first step is an intuition, and comes with a burst, then difficulties arise—this thing gives out and [it is] then that "Bugs"—as such little faults and difficulties are called—show themselves and months of intense watching, study and labor are requisite before commercial success or failure is certainly reached.[3]" So she did not popularize or invent the term, she used it.

Figured you would nitpick on a simple detail to ignore that Hopper was one of the programmers. The usual revisionism of wiping out women from history.

For instance, Thomas Edison wrote the following words in a letter to an associate in 1878:It has been just so in all of my inventions. The first step is an intuition, and comes with a burst, then difficulties arise—this thing gives out and [it is] then that "Bugs"—as such little faults and difficulties are called—show themselves and months of intense watching, study and labor are requisite before commercial success or failure is certainly reached.[3]" So she did not popularize or invent the term, she used it.
Ahem:

Also, this is an old pattern. Deny or steal all the credit for anything interesting or important done by women, then claim that women don't do anything important.
Edison wasn't a computer programmer.

Edison wasn't a computer programmer.
Yes and? the term comes from engineering, the first computers where build by engineeres, so the terms are used because they are also used in electrical and other engineering.
Figured you would nitpick on a simple detail to ignore that Hopper was one of the programmers. The usual revisionism of wiping out women from history.
I'm not saying she is not a programmer, I'm saying she did not invent or popularize the term bug, she also did not found this specific bug as seen here Software bug - Wikipedia . And I also say that some people here have really strange conceptions of what programming is, if they say it is secreterial, as it was maths from the beginning, with the first algorithm being written by a female mathematican.

Are we really doing this?:
Ada Lovelace was the first person to publish an algorithm intended to be executed by the first modern computer, the Analytical Engine created by Charles Babbage. Because of this, she is often regarded as the first computer programmer,[3][4][5] though this statement, as well as others about Ada's mathematical abilities and involvement with Babbage's project, has been criticized.

During the 1800s, Edward Charles Pickering hired several women to work for him at Harvard. These women, called "Pickering's harem" at the time and also as the Harvard Computers, performed clerical work that the male employees and scholars considered to be tedious work at a fraction of the cost to hire a man.[6]

Grace Hopper was the first person to create a compiler for a programming language and one of the first programmers of the Mark I computer, an electro-mechanical computer based on Analytical Engine. The regularly working programmers of the ENIAC computer in 1944, were six female mathematicians; Marlyn Meltzer, Betty Holberton, Kathleen Antonelli, Ruth Teitelbaum, Jean Bartik, and Frances Spence. Adele Goldstine was one of the teachers and trainers of the six original programmers of the ENIAC computer. Adele died of cancer in 1964 at the age of 44.

Adele Goldberg was one of the seven programmers that developed Smalltalk in the 1970s, one of the first object-oriented programming languages, the base of the current graphic user interface, that has its roots in the 1968 The Mother of All Demos by Douglas Engelbart. Smalltalk was later used by Apple to launch Apple Lisa in 1983, the first personal computer with a GUI, and one year later its Macintosh. Windows 1.0, based on the same principles, was launched a few months later in 1985.
And also this:
Between 30 and 50 percent of programmers were women in the 1950s, and it was seen as a natural career for them, as evidenced by a 1967 Cosmopolitan feature about "Computer Girls."
But things were already changing. Programming was being recognized as intellectually strenuous, and salaries were rising significantly. More men became interested in it and sought to increase their own prestige, according to historian Nathan Ensmenger. They formed professional organizations, sought stricter requirements to enter the field, and discouraged the hiring of women. Employers began comparing programming less to clerical work and more to masculine activities like playing chess. Ad campaigns criticized women as gossiping, time-wasting, and error-prone. One tagline for Optical Scanning Corporation Ran, "What has sixteen legs, eight waggly tongues and costs you at least $40,000 a year?" Your team of 8 female programmers, that's what. Hiring mangers began administering aptitude and personality profile tests that were biased toward men. The answers were circulated to fraternities and men's clubs like the Elks.

One of they key takeaways of the personality tests was the best programmers were antisocial, and that that was a male trait. By the time we entered the personal computer age in the 1980s, the stereotype of the programmer as antisocial super-nerd was set, aided by the rise of wonder boys like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates. Films like Weird Science, War Games, and Real Genius perpetuated the stereotype. And since you could play video games on early personal computers, advertisers marketed them primarily to men and boys (even though girls liked them, too).
You can find source after source after source that will confirm that women were pioneers in computing due to the initial and precursor work being seen as secretarial and feminine, but once it became profitable the Old Boy's Clubs worked around the clock to retcon it into "sweaty antisocial nerds", male work even if it isn't masculine work. And look at where the last part hits, let's check out that link:
At the time, however, few video game marketers acknowledged that girls wanted to play at all. Before the early 1980s, games were marketed as gender-neutral. Because women had historically loved games like chess and cards, why should computer games be any different? "In the early days, anyone who liked to play would play," said Kate Edwards, executive director of the International Game Developers Association, in 2015. Then came the video game crash of 1983, when so many low-quality games flooded the market that consumer confidence broke and almost destroyed the industry. Between 1983 and 1985, revenues fell 97% to $100 million.

In a rush to revive the market, makers like Nintendo repackaged games as toys, which were selling unaffected. To corner buyers further, they researched who was playing, attending conventions, and consuming content around gaming. It was mostly boys. From then on, advertising spoke directly to that group, even when promoting games like Tetris, which had high turnout from girls as well. In 1986, Infocom marketed a game (ostensibly for either gender) that featured lingerie-clad, large-breasted dominatrices. It was called Leather Goddesses of Phobos.
Interesting. This argues that the 1983 crash is responsible for the shift. Or more accurately its an excuse. The 1983 crash was caused by a total lack of quality control, which companies like Nintendo recovered from by establishing distinct brands distinguishing themselves from shovelware, and had nothing to do with gender. But the crash provides a perfect opportunity to hem and haw and come to the conclusion that you need to pander harder to people who look like yourself (since by this point women had been driven out of computing) which is always a pleasing conclusion. Kind of like how when a recession happens rich people conclude "we need to tighten our belts" where by "we" they mean "everyone but us". Never let a good crisis go to waste.

Last edited:
* Because if it was merely a matter of them being men they could always have just asked women what they wanted. Focus groups are a thing, after all. Their obliviousness smacks of willful ignorance.

Actually this shows up a lot of places. Not just in terms of women. There is an acute unwillingness to make money if that means going against "best practises" or group concensus.

Actually this shows up a lot of places. Not just in terms of women. There is an acute unwillingness to make money if that means going against "best practises" or group concensus.
I am reminded of the article Why film schools teach screenwriters not to pass the Bechdel test
When I started taking film classes at UCLA, I was quickly informed I had what it took to go all the way in film...

There was just one little problem.

I had to understand that the audience only wanted white, straight, male leads. I was assured that as long as I made the white, straight men in my scripts prominent, I could still offer groundbreaking characters of other descriptions (fascinating, significant women, men of color, etc.) – as long as they didn't distract the audience from the white men they really paid their money to see.
Only to learn there was still something wrong with my writing, something unanticipated by my professors. My scripts had multiple women with names. Talking to each other. About something other than men. That, they explained nervously, was not okay. I asked why. Well, it would be more accurate to say I politely demanded a thorough, logical explanation that made sense for a change (I'd found the "audience won't watch women!" argument pretty questionable, with its ever-shifting reasons and parameters).

At first I got several tentative murmurings about how it distracted from the flow or point of the story. I went through this with more than one professor, more than one industry professional. Finally, I got one blessedly telling explanation from an industry pro: "The audience doesn't want to listen to a bunch of women talking about whatever it is women talk about."

"Not even if it advances the story?" I asked. That's rule number one in screenwriting, though you'd never know it from watching most movies: every moment in a script should reveal another chunk of the story and keep it moving. He just looked embarrassed and said, "I mean, that's not how I see it, that's how they see it."

This is then followed up with Why discriminate if it doesn't profit?
Pardon the topic switch (it'll all make sense in a paragraph or two), but I have naturally curly hair. As Lorraine Massey's book Curly Girl explains (and most curly-haired women can tell you from personal experience), stylists are trained to cut "against the curl", which explains why until recently no stylist at any price ever gave me a good cut unless I was straightening. They also give you precisely the wrong advice for your hair, which is emphatically not "just like straight hair." In fact it's so different, Massey says many curlies should never shampoo – there are better ways to get your hair and scalp clean that don't damage your hair.

Why would stylists ignore the curly market? You wouldn't know it from looking at the media, but we are probably a majority – or close enough. Why not cater to us? (I finally found a curly-haired stylist who can cut my hair properly, and I'm paying her handsomely for her work, and I'm glad to do it. No one else wanted my business.)

As Massey points out, it is a side effect of Western racism. Curly hair belongs to Africans, whom we once saw fit to enslave. It belongs to the Irish (that's me), who were fit only for unsafe cheap labor, and loathed for "taking jobs from" the good, straight-haired white people. It belongs to Jews, resented because they keep thriving no matter what people do to them. There's a longterm association of curly hair with groups of people Anglos want to exploit or "keep down", who make trouble if you don't make sure they know their place. Ignoring their differences from you can be as effective as highlighting them.
Which illustrates a non-gender example of the same, then muses on why it happens given that businesses are supposedly fanatically fixated on profit to the exclusion of everything else, and argues its a mixture of ego (make the world revolve around people like me), laziness (changing that attitude would take effort, of course what I like is best), and pride (acknowledging the need for change would mean admitting that you are currently being bigoted and wrong, and have doubled down on your wrong position over and over even as it becomes increasingly untenable). Its easy to generate confirmation bias to feed that. I imagine that a lot of focus groups on videogames were organized by white men and recruited white men as subjects because 'obviously' they're the target audience, a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Last edited:
Back when I actually paid for and read computer gaming magazines (this was like from mod 90s to the early 2000s), they had these monthly tallies for the various categories of games; top-rated, newest releases, bestselling. I remember the best sellers list was consistently dominated by girly fare, to the point the gaming mag in question (Computer Gaming World?) eventually started breaking down the lists by genre and shunted the "Overall" category to the bottom-right of the page. Otherwise something like Magic Sparkle Candy Puzzle (I am making that name up) would have become the longest-running bestseller in magazine history.

Back when I actually paid for and read computer gaming magazines (this was like from mod 90s to the early 2000s), they had these monthly tallies for the various categories of games; top-rated, newest releases, bestselling. I remember the best sellers list was consistently dominated by girly fare, to the point the gaming mag in question (Computer Gaming World?) eventually started breaking down the lists by genre and shunted the "Overall" category to the bottom-right of the page. Otherwise something like Magic Sparkle Candy Puzzle (I am making that name up) would have become the longest-running bestseller in magazine history.
So they had the numbers showing that games played mainly by girls were the true bestsellers and decided to bury this so they could get back to talking about manly games doing manly things. This explains a lot of how you can look through gaming magazines and conclude gaming was of, by, and for guys, even when women were a constant and substantive presence in the gaming community from day one. Typical.

Last edited:
So would Games that feature female protagonists like Tomb Raider and Metroid still exist in this timeline?

Regarding the topic of gameplay, one thing to note is that aesthetics and context can be flexible. Mortal Kombat is about pulling off move combos... but so is Tony Hawk's Pro Skater. Mario Teaches Typing is a thing, but so is Typing of the Dead. Just because a genre is tuned to be masculine or a gameplay mechanic is used in a violent context doesn't mean they have to be.

Back