What if every island nation and every island territory in 2021 gets transported to the year 1621?

I think fuel might be a bigger problem than food. Britain has coal, but how many active mines does it have?

According to this, Indonesia is the world's tenth biggest natural gas producer and fifth biggest coal producer, and is also a significant oil exporter. So thankfully I think in the short term there will probably be enough existing coal, oil, and natural gas extraction to keep basic infrastructure going, assuming the uptime nations cooperate with each other and share resources with each other. In the long term there's most of a planet's worth of totally untapped coal, oil, and natural gas reserves out there, and baseline atmospheric carbon dioxide will be more-or-less preindustrial (the islands will presumably bring some modern atmosphere with them, but they're only a small percentage of Earth's surface area so not much), so once extraction can be expanded energy won't be a problem for many decades.

The Japanese will want to bring their nuclear power plants back on line; they'll definitely be useful in the year or ten after the ISOT.

Nobody is deterred by weapons that nobody knows exists. Where might you suggest the Royal Navy might launch a Trident 2, as herald to uptime Britain's new status?

Spain? The Ottoman Empire?
Britain now being the world's only nuclear-armed state is basically only relevant to their dealings with other transplanted uptime states such as Japan, Indonesia, the Philippines, etc.. The downtimers will be a complete non-threat militarily, except maybe to small coastal islands and any uptimer countries that completely collapse because of the effects of the ISOT (and even then, a collapsing uptimer country is more likely to "collapse outward" than be successfully invaded, e.g. I suspect Madagascar and Britain collapsing would lead to Madagascan and British rogue military units, armed militias, armed street gangs, etc. carving out their own kingdoms and generally wreaking havoc in 1621 Africa and Europe). In this scenario the only things stopping Papua New Guinea from conquering most of the world are logistical limits, them not having enough troops to occupy all that territory, any moral and/or long-term Machiavellian objections they might have to such a course of action, and the probability that stronger uptimer states would object to this and intervene to stop them.

If the uptimers haven't conquered the entire world and divided it between themselves within a generation of the ISOT, it'll probably be because they've chosen not to (whether for moral reasons, because committing themselves to policing millions of square kilometers of territory indefinitely and earning the resentment of the downtimers would be a bad idea in the long term, or because it just wouldn't be worth the trouble, probably a mix of all three).

I really want queen Elizabeth to say fuck this colonists shit, please we can't let America exist!
Island territories also make the jump, so Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and various US island territories such as American Samoa will be present in this scenario. Some may opt to become independent countries, but I think there'll probably be some government that forms that claims continuity with the USA.

Come to think of it, that means "Britain is the only nuclear armed country" may not actually be true; Hawaii, Guam, etc. have military bases and there may be some nuclear weapons there.

My question is why does that make Modern Japan starving worse off than the Tokugawa Shogunate when their competitors are people at the same level of that Tokugawa Shogunate? Why should we expect Modern Japan to have a worse historical outcome than the Tokugawa Shogunate had?
Modern Japan has many more people than Tokugawa Japan, and if it can't feed itself that may be a problem. Same applies to all the ISOTed countries. The ISOT will have roughly doubled the population of Earth in this scenario, and 1621 agriculture didn't produce large surpluses (and also the world of 1621 didn't have the logistics to collect and move food on the scale that would be necessary to, say, supply 30% of the caloric needs of the 225 million Japanese and Philippino/as for one year).

Even if all the ISOTed countries collapse the world will probably get a big tech boost from all the knowledge the people there will have; even in a worst case scenario this world will likely be building moon rockets in the nineteenth century (technological progress being accelerated by a century seems quite reasonable for a worst case version of this scenario). Of course, that scenario plausibly leads to, say, a moon rocket being built in 1851 by an industrialized modern Chinese state that conquered Japan in the 1760s and now includes Japan as a province.

Last edited:
Looking at what I can find Japan's food production, Japan apparently does produces enough to meet its population's demands for rice and whale meat and is apparently is a exporter of fruits such as mandarins, apples and persimmons and sea food but imports a lot of meat mostly beef(largely from Australia and New Zealand) and pork along with with importing most of the soybeans, wheat, corn and of all things cooking oil it uses.

Japan also apparently grow a lot of a variety of vegetables but I couldn't find anything about them really importing or exporting vegetables so I guess what they do grow must meet their internal needs.

The Philippines meanwhile apparently only produces something like a bit over 80 percent of its rice needs but is apparently the world's largest producer of coconuts and pineapples as well as apparently a exporter of Bananas.

I think the biggest issue for both though would likely be fuel and overseas transpiration which is likely going to be a problem for all the transported island territories and nations.

Last edited:
Either way, maritime South East Asia, Australasia, and the Pacific becomes the new axis of world power, be it by tech or by population.

To clear some vagueness when I say island territories I mean places Hawaii and Nantucket would be included and if it connected to the main land like Long Island than they don't count also islands that are in lakes don't Count only islands on the sea like the Pacific Ocean and the Atlantic Ocean. Australia would count as it is a somewhat of a island continent don't quote me on that.
So I believe I have spotted an interesting caveat that a lot of you haven't considered in "if [they are] connected to the mainland like Long Island [then] they don't count" actually rules out the main part of the UK as it is connected to Europe via the Channel Tunnel.

Which I think makes the Republic of Ireland the sole or at least main European 'superpower'. I wonder how the rump UK will react, that'll be mainly the Western Isles and Northern Ireland.

Last edited:
Back