We now live in a giant robot anime...AWESOME!!!

The Beginning

Xero Key

Flying high, spinning webs!

Gentle beings of the internet... In one years time we shall actually have the first of no doubt many giant robot fights. Yes they use paintballs instead of bullets, and they aren't quite ready for melee, but IT HAS BEGUN.

I have created this thread for the inevitable worldbuilding and fictional discussion of the possible future we now see. Place 'bets' on fictional fights, discuss the coming years of GIANT ROBOT action.

Bot Fighteeeeeerrrrrs...... Reeaaddyyy!!??
RUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMBBBBBLLLLLLLEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

I really hope that Megabots are not taking a piss and are considering this challenge seriously. I like the design of the Megabots' machine, it's rather industrial looking and appears to be able to take a punch. However, I'm particularly worried about the bipedal design, despite my general fondness for two-legged mecha; at this stage methinks a well placed blow might put that fighting machine on it's side and then what? Those boys are gonna need to polish that design a lot to match the Kuratas, which should be possible so long as the designers are not taking a piss and proceeding with up most seriousness.

I'm rooting for Megabots, but... yea.

I was there when man dreamed of things greater then themselves. I was there when the first machine was built. I was there when the second was created. I was there when they battled, and the world never was the same again. The world will never be the same again and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I really hope that Megabots are not taking a piss and are considering this challenge seriously. I like the design of the Megabots' machine, it's rather industrial looking and appears to be able to take a punch. However, I'm particularly worried about the bipedal design, despite my general fondness for two-legged mecha; at this stage methinks a well placed blow might put that fighting machine on it's side and then what? Those boys are gonna need to polish that design a lot to match the Kuratas, which should be possible so long as the designers are not taking a piss and proceeding with up most seriousness.

I'm rooting for Megabots, but... yea.
They probably are. Since Kuratas has stated they want melee, Megabots will add melee. Most likely they will work on stability so they don't end up losing by turtle.

Touring the Robot Fight Museum
The camera follows an elderly gentleman with a cane as he walks through the museum, coming to a stop before one specific exhibit.
"This is it. These two were the first." The camera pans over the red mecha. "Kuratas. A single pilot fighting for his people. Honorable and great, much like the ancient Samurai." The camera shifts over a less elegant, but no less fantastic machine. "The Megabot Mk.3. Two pilots joined together in combat."

The man sits down on a bench and just looks at the machines. "Kuratas-types are a bit more popular among Bot Fighters, but you can still find Two-Mans now and then. Hehe, I actually hear that China's sponsoring triplets in one mecha! Not isn't that something... They used to have a rule of one child per home you know, but now I'm rambling." He glances over the Megabot. "Militaries prefer the shared cockpit, apparently the Megabot design was to good to pass up for warfare, or construction if what I hear on Titan is true."

The camera pans over to a larger mecha in the wing. "Noticed that have ya? Chained Spartacus. The first of the great mechas... The Iron Mask, the Undefeated of the World, the Champion. ...Yes I know all about it. It was both a prison and a parole for it's pilot, best man you could ever know..."

And then everything was Mobile Fighter G Gundam with a hefty flavoring of Pacific Rim. Can we put a bit of aliens into this or is it strictly hard science and such?

And then everything was Mobile Fighter G Gundam with a hefty flavoring of Pacific Rim. Can we put a bit of aliens into this or is it strictly hard science and such?
Well, this is a Worldbuilding thread so not right now. What imagined was we would talk about current technology that seems sci-fi in the context of Giant Robots. Chained Spartacus is the name I've given a mech that would have a story to it, and I would like to go into detail about what it 'did.' You guys can do the same. What changed with military? What changed with police? How has space exploration changed? That sort of thing.

Gentle beings of the internet... In one years time we shall actually have the first of no doubt many giant robot fights. Yes they use paintballs instead of bullets, and they aren't quite ready for melee, but IT HAS BEGUN.

I have created this thread for the inevitable worldbuilding and fictional discussion of the possible future we now see. Place 'bets' on fictional fights, discuss the coming years of GIANT ROBOT action.

Bot Fighteeeeeerrrrrs...... Reeaaddyyy!!??
RUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMBBBBBLLLLLLLEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

We all died! ALL OF US BECAUSE JAPAN UNLEASH A TENTACLE ROBOT THAT CAN ASSIMILATE US

We all died! ALL OF US BECAUSE JAPAN UNLEASH A TENTACLE ROBOT THAT CAN ASSIMILATE US
Dude chill, just because the extendable combat arms were an unexpected surprise did not mean the death of American Giant Robot teams. Sure, the original Megabots went out of business just afterwards but to be fair the creators themselves pretty much stated it was because their work was done, not because of how 'hard' Kumo was to counter.

Besides once Team Neo figured out how to make buzzsaws safe enough for Megabot use tentacles lost their competitive edge. You only ever see them in local tourneys these days.

Dude chill, just because the extendable combat arms were an unexpected surprise did not mean the death of American Giant Robot teams. Sure, the original Megabots went out of business just afterwards but to be fair the creators themselves pretty much stated it was because their work was done, not because of how 'hard' Kumo was to counter.

Besides once Team Neo figured out how to make buzzsaws safe enough for Megabot use tentacles lost their competitive edge. You only ever see them in local tourneys these days.
ever watch gundam????

Best case scenario out of this? Bot fighting becomes an Actual Thing. I will be jumping onto that bandwagon so fast you do not even understand. Or... maybe you do, since this is Sufficient Velocity and all.

Bot fighting is illegal!
No betting on bot fighting is illegal... Unless done oat a liscenced booking agency. This includes Las Vegas and the Arena for the fight.

(Only reason Hiro was really in trouble was hustling and betting on street fights. If he had been Tadashi's age and doing it in an arena, he would have been fine.)

As June approaches, I should point out a few things, Kuratas looks like someone thought using an AT from VOTOMs is a good idea.

They both open the same way, their main method of travel (skating across the landscape), and their joysticks are the obvious ones.

If you guys ever read the updates on MegaBot's Kickstarter, we will have a Giant Robot Fighting League. Apparently the company, because of how it got donations, is legally required to make a sport out of Giant Robots fighting each other for entertainment.

Quickly! Begin the speculative Worldbuilding! It's why this thread exists!

Please Don't Die, Please Don't Die. I'm not ready for a bloodsport.

Otherwise SOOOOOOO AWESOME. I can't help but swoon at the mere thought of giant mechas. Please add a drill though. Also I feel like we need a quest semi-inspired by the thought of life becoming a random giant robot anime.

Sponsered Robots: Iron Avenger
The League started slow, which isn't surprising considering the cost of building piloted battle robots, but once it got started it ran on its own. Big companies started sponsoring specific bots and pilots, some becoming true legends.

Marvel Comics owned Iron Avenger, a fine piece of machinery on that every engineer could agree. The bot itself didn't look too different from the Cinematic Hulkbuster, if silver and and red, but it kept a glowing light right in the chest. The big part was the fact it was modular; able to switch out equipment and armaments quickly. It of course had a few favorites:
  • War Machine= Guns, guns, some missles, a few bombs, and more guns.
  • Bot Buster= Fists are all you need.
  • Patriot= A defense near impossible to get through.
  • Thunder= Hammers and electricity.
  • Web Warrior= It's always easy to win when the opponent can't move.

Last edited:
Back