Watched thread updates and subscription changes

Watched threads updates

Many of you likely use the 'watch thread' feature, which will send you an alert when a selected thread receives a response. There are some options around this, but not many:

1694829095906.png

In practice this means that alerts aren't as useful as they could be. An update will improve the options available to users when watching a thread. You will be able to set alert settings per thread, allowing for alerts and/or email notifications based on all replies, posts by the thread creator, and threadmarks. Threadmarks are already a powerful tool for organisation and this update will improve their functionality, allowing users to get more targeted alerts about the threads they're interested in, which we believe will have positive effects for creators as well.

1694829103210.png

Additionally, this functionality will be valuable for threads with shared creative control or that receive user contributions like omakes. There's an additional level of control available to creators, and it will work in tandem with the thread collaboration feature or threadmark categories.

You will also see some changes to the formatting of the alert list. With the implementation of this update the alert list will be cleaner and more comprehensible. These changes will go a long way to improving the forum experience, especially in the creative forums.

Staff posts have been changed to no longer generate email notifications to reduce spam, and we're exploring further options around reducing the clutter staff posts can generate. Forum management is one of those things we have to do and having staff posts easily accessible to users is valuable, but it'd be good to be able to do that in a way that both doesn't compromise the thread experience and generate unnecessary alerts. More on this feature as it develops.

Subscription changes

Now for some news around SV's subscriptions. Several SV users generously support SV month to month through their subscriptions, and as mentioned earlier in the year, we are looking into updating our subscription offerings. That's work that is still ongoing, but in the interim some changes on the business side mean that we will have to close our existing payment processors, which are based in the Canada, in favour of payment processors that are based in Australia. That change will occur on 18 September.

If you have a recurring subscription this means that your automatic renewal will be switched off. Any existing subscription will complete normally, and no account upgrade will be cut short. The only difference is that if you wish to continue with your subscription after that you will need to visit the account upgrades page

This is a real hassle and we apologise for the inconvenience. We appreciate those that do subscribe or otherwise gift account upgrades to others, that money goes toward maintaining SV and in the long term plays an important part in the forum's growth. We hope to provide further updates in the coming months around how subscriptions and account upgrades will be improved, and we will be looking for feedback on our proposals around then. If you do have any suggestions for subscriptions features, please consider dropping them in our suggestion box.

Nice to see thread subscription getting an improvement. As for the payment news, I think I just get the yearly sub, so it'll only matter when I renew it... whenever that is.

You will be able to set alert settings per thread, allowing for alerts and/or email notifications based on all replies, posts by the thread creator, and threadmarks.
email notifications based on all replies,
Does that still do the thing of after not going back to the end of the thread to read the recent post, it stops sending alerts? Or is it every single post in a thread hits the inbox?

Because I swear I had the latter set up back in… 2010, 2015-ish, because I vaguely recall that made some issue. I can't seem to find any old posts or archived stuff about it, but I think I got told it was lagging the server with how many messages I was getting. Maybe I'm just getting old enough to invent fake memories of high school.

Oh huh, it's the thing I asked about way back in 2015. Yay, technology and expertise finally caught up with my dreams!
The actual sending notifications part wasn't the hard part. It was hitting the UI with a big stick and essentially redoing all the plumbing from the UI to the backend which was the tricky bit.

Does that still do the thing of after not going back to the end of the thread to read the recent post, it stops sending alerts? Or is it every single post in a thread hits the inbox?
There are a variety of options for that:
  • Generate new alerts without reading threads
  • New threadmarks always generate alerts
  • Thread creator replies always generate alerts
(Some of the phrases just got updated)

Last edited:
Don't all of the watched thread notification options already exist in the user preferences? I guess the improvement is that they're not on a per-thread basis but this is?

Don't all of the watched thread notification options already exist in the user preferences? I guess the improvement is that they're not on a per-thread basis but this is?
One case which I don't think the previous options covered that the new one would, which is nice, is that usually I have my thread watching options set to only alert on thread creator posting, which is good for quest threads or use fiction or whatever, but sometimes I want to watch a thread in which there is content being generated that isn't particularly related to the thead creator, in which case watching the thread doesn't really do much, or I want to watch a thread I created for some reason, in which case only being alerted when the thread creator posts also does nothing, so this is actually handy in some situations.

So yes, the second thing you said.

New threadmark alerts are completely new, and required a fairly large overhaul to sanely fit into the watch thread UI.

It went from a simple list of options to a grid of per-alert options. Otherwise that list would have 3 factorial possible values (for 6 total values), and if we add another alert type that explodes to 4 factorial which results in 24 total values.

Resetera is on XF2.2, which has been current for three years (the latest update is 2.2.13). I can't speak to Toonzone, but I'd be surprised if it were still on XF1. Only XenForo itself would be able to tell this for certain, but there are probably not that many legacy XF1 users.

Copying my thoughts from the SB thread: Alerts have been overhauled. I give you: Per-Thread Alert Settings, and Threadmark Alerts!

I'm not sure I like the priority inversion here. Oftentimes, the thread is more useful than the wordcount, since you can guess at wordcount based on author+title. On the other hand, guessing title from author+word count is much harder. What about something crisper like this? {name} posted in {title} ({wordcount} words).

And for threadmarks: {name} marked a post in {title} ({wordcount} words).

Comparing the various templates, using an example from SB:
Thread creator theirishdreamer posted[…]
theirishdreamer posted 250 words in their thread[…]
theirishdreamer posted in Alerts have been overhauled. I give you: Per-Thread Alert Settings, and Threadmark Alerts! (500 words)
theirishdreamer marked a post in Alerts have been overhauled. I give you: Per-Thread Alert Settings, and Threadmark Alerts! (500 words)

You can't see the word count at a glance, but I'd argue that the count's probably the least useful part of the message.

The defaults for this are taken from user settings, I hope? I don't have to uncheck all unwanted options every time?
Yes, it is pulled from your watch preferences and alert preferences. There is no point trying to sending alerts you will never actually receive.

I'm not sure I like the priority inversion here. Oftentimes, the thread is more useful than the wordcount, since you can guess at wordcount based on author+title. On the other hand, guessing title from author+word count is much harder.
The alert text is the same style of message as the previous version (name/words/title), and the wordcount is still an important signal about the post.

User upgrade changes
  • Recurring subscriptions have all been cancelled and will not be automatically renewed. Any existing subscriptions will continue out their already purchased time.
  • User upgrades and gifts are currently disabled as I need to bolt on some tax processing which was forgotten about.
    • User upgrades by Australians are required to have 10% GST, which requires identifying them and then pushing in the tax rate to our accounting software.

this is great news; watch-controls was the only thing I personally cared about. (that and more universal image support, but that was only a issue a couple times).

pitty about the dropped sub's, I could see alot of subscribers just totally forgetting to re-sub. will be curious whether the drop in sub-count will fix itself in a reasonable time period.

bet this is going to hurt the pocket books of SV regardless however....

Back