To Matter (Superpowers Quest)

[x] Plan Speedster 2 (Because I've been binge watching The Flash lately)
Adhoc vote count started by BunnyLord on Apr 20, 2017 at 5:26 AM, finished with 51 posts and 19 votes.

• [X] Plan: I care and I AM
    [X] Plan: I care and I AM
    [X] Isabelle Yoman
    [X] Female
    [X] Belief invulnerability: as long as you are certain of your goal you cannot be harmed by almost any means and gain greatly increased strength and speed.
    [X] Well read (-2 points) You did a lot studying before coming here and have a working understanding of the powers of a lot of the common players in New Eden.
    [X] A Winning Personality (-3 points) You're friendly and get along with people. You'll do significantly better at most social interactions.
    -[X] Stubborn Resolve (+3 points) You don't back down, not ever, and often you've got the power to back that up. Sometimes though, it can get you in a whole lot of trouble.
    [X] A Caring Heart (+5 points) You've dreamed of power and fame idly, but when it comes down to it, you can't bring yourself to cause others harm in pursuit of that dream. The idea of hurting someone for your selfish wishes... You can't abide it. (Note that this flaw is very all encompassing, though is mitigated depending on the kind of of power you choose.)
    [x] Name: Wilmer Smith
    [x] Male
    [x] The power to temporarily increase all of your physical and mental capabilities to superhuman levels.
    -[x] Power Level 6
    [x] Hacker (-3 points) You're a movie-tier hacker, and can easily gain access to most security systems and electronic devices in the high-tech city of New Eden. Opens up many new options and makes you valauble for more than just your raw power in a fight.
    [x] Weaponry (-3 points) You can get your hands on a lot of illegal weapons, up to and including experimental Excalibur Initiative toys, though at that high end, using them will call a lot of attention to you.
    [x] EX Series (+4 points) You got your hands on an Excalibur Initiative power amplifier. It's crazy strong, but very bulky and very noticeable. Not to mention that if anyone sees you with it, they'll probably want it for themselves. Besides which, the Excalibur Initiative definitely wants it back and will likely pursue you hotly.
    [x] Uncontrollable Power (+3 points) Your power is strong- maybe too strong. It can easily get away from you and end up doing something you don't like or not quite doing what you want.
    [X] Plan INFINITE POWER
    [X] Name: Jacob Anderson
    [X] Gender: Male
    [X] Write-in power: Anything you touch is infinite. The gun you hold will have infinite ammo. Your water bottle will infinite water. If you lose a limb, you give yourself infinite blood or endorphins just by touching the wound.
    [X] Weaponry (-3 points) You can get your hands on a lot of illegal weapons, up to and including experimental Excalibur Initiative toys, though at that high end, using them will call a lot of attention to you.
    [X] Martial Arts (-2 points) You know your way around a fight and can throw a mean punch. Against people who don't know what they're doing, this can be an overwhelming advantage.
    [X] A Mysterious offer (+3 points) You were offered a vial of something by an unknown figure. Desperate to become more powerful, you accepted and it seems to have worked. Definitely no downsides whatsoever that will ever come up.
    [X] Uncontrollable Power (+3 points) Your power is strong- maybe too strong. It can easily get away from you and end up doing something you don't like or not quite doing what you want.
    [X] Alyssa Gabriel Torres
    [X] Female
    [X] Control Over Dirt
    [X] Just a Face in the Crowd (-3 points) You're good at staying unremarkable and good at getting out of hairy situations given the slightest opportunity. Within the realm of plausibility, people won't recognize you if you don't want them to.
    [X] Weaponry (-3 points) You can get your hands on a lot of illegal weapons, up to and including experimental Excalibur Initiative toys, though at that high end, using them will call a lot of attention to you.
    [X] Uncontrollable Power (+3 points) Your power is strong- maybe too strong. It can easily get away from you and end up doing something you don't like or not quite doing what you want.
    [X] EX Series (+4 points) You got your hands on an Excalibur Initiative power amplifier. It's crazy strong, but very bulky and very noticeable. Not to mention that if anyone sees you with it, they'll probably want it for themselves. Besides which, the Excalibur Initiative definitely wants it back and will likely pursue you hotly.
    [X] Plan Crazy death cultist
    -[X] Yama Hades
    -[X] Male
    -[X] Salvation: With a touch you accelerate time's effect on the body.
    -[X] Power level 8
    -[X] Martial Arts (-2 points) You know your way around a fight and can throw a mean punch. Against people who don't know what they're doing, this can be an overwhelming advantage.
    -[X] A Caring Heart (+5 points) You've dreamed of power and fame idly, but when it comes down to it, you can't bring yourself to cause others harm in pursuit of that dream. The idea of hurting someone for your selfish wishes... You can't abide it. (Note that this flaw is very all encompassing, though is mitigated depending on the kind of of power you choose.)
    [X] Plan: I made it Softer!
    -[X] Trish Domino
    -[X] Female
    -[X] Write in Power: Softening: You are able to soften anything you come in contact with. The thing in question gains the constancy of putty.
    -[X] Just a Face in the Crowd (-3 points) You're good at staying unremarkable and good at getting out of hairy situations given the slightest opportunity. Within the realm of plausibility, people won't recognize you if you don't want them to.
    -[X] Stubborn Resolve (+3 points) You don't back down, not ever, and often you've got the power to back that up. Sometimes though, it can get you in a whole lot of trouble.
    -[X] Uncontrollable Power (+3 points) Your power is strong- maybe too strong. It can easily get away from you and end up doing something you don't like or not quite doing what you want.
    [x] Plan Speedster (Because I've been binge watching The Flash lately)
    [x] Name: Rocco "Rocky" Rhode
    - [x] Gender: Male
    - [x] Super Speed (possibly with an added Healing Factor, allowing us to heal from wounds if we eat enough later)
    - [x] Stubborn Resolve (+3 points) You don't back down, not ever, and often you've got the power to back that up. Sometimes though, it can get you in a whole lot of trouble.
    [x] Connections (-2 points) You have a friend or two in New Eden, people who know the area and will make sure you aren't going to walk into things entirely blind.
    [x] Martial Arts (-2 points) You know your way around a fight and can throw a mean punch. Against people who don't know what they're doing, this can be an overwhelming advantage.
    [x] EX Series (+4 points) You got your hands on an Excalibur Initiative power amplifier. It's crazy strong, but very bulky and very noticeable. Not to mention that if anyone sees you with it, they'll probably want it for themselves. Besides which, the Excalibur Initiative definitely wants it back and will likely pursue you hotly.
    [X] Plan Hard as Water, Soft as Steel
    -[X] Diane Ling
    -[X] Female
    -[X] Hardness Control. You can make anything harder and more rigid or softer and more flexible, from making your body harder than titanium, to making concrete flow like water. This doesn't seem to inherently harm the object or person, but when turned brittle without enough hardening a person might be shattered with a powerful impact, and a liquified person is unlikely to be able to breath.
    -[X] Power level 8(-3 points)
    -[X] Well read (-2 points) You did a lot studying before coming here and have a working understanding of the powers of a lot of the common players in New Eden.
    -[X] A Winning Personality (-3 points) You're friendly and get along with people. You'll do significantly better at most social interactions.
    -[X] A Caring Heart (+5 points) You've dreamed of power and fame idly, but when it comes down to it, you can't bring yourself to cause others harm in pursuit of that dream. The idea of hurting someone for your selfish wishes... You can't abide it. (Note that this flaw is very all encompassing, though is mitigated depending on the kind of of power you choose.)
    [x] Plan Speedster (Because I've been binge watching The Flash lately)
    - [x] Super Speed (possibly with an added Healing Factor, allowing us to heal from wounds if we eat enough later)
    - [x] Stubborn Resolve (+3 points) You don't back down, not ever, and often you've got the power to back that up. Sometimes though, it can get you in a whole lot of trouble.
    - [x] Super Speed. power 8
    - [x] Martial Arts (-2 points) You know your way around a fight and can throw a mean punch. Against people who don't know what they're doing, this can be an overwhelming advantage.
    -[x] Well read (-2 points) You did a lot studying before coming here and have a working understanding of the powers of a lot of the common players in New Eden.
    -[X] EX Series (+4 points) You got your hands on an Excalibur Initiative power amplifier. It's crazy strong, but very bulky and very noticeable. Not to mention that if anyone sees you with it, they'll probably want it for themselves. Besides which, the Excalibur Initiative definitely wants it back and will likely pursue you hotly.
    -[x] Stubborn Resolve (+3 points) You don't back down, not ever, and often you've got the power to back that up. Sometimes though, it can get you in a whole lot of trouble.

[X] Ashley Welsh
[X] Female
[X] Super Strength and Toughness
[X] Martial Arts (-2 points) You know your way around a fight and can throw a mean punch. Against people who don't know what they're doing, this can be an overwhelming advantage
[X] A Winning Personality (-3 points) You're friendly and get along with people. You'll do significantly better at most social interactions.
[X] A Caring Heart (+5 points) You've dreamed of power and fame idly, but when it comes down to it, you can't bring yourself to cause others harm in pursuit of that dream. The idea of hurting someone for your selfish wishes... You can't abide it. (Note that this flaw is very all encompassing, though is mitigated depending on the kind of of power you choose.)
[X] Stubborn Resolve (+3 points) You don't back down, not ever, and often you've got the power to back that up. Sometimes though, it can get you in a whole lot of trouble.

What can I say, I enjoy the more simple power set. and I especially enjoy the way Caring Heart and Stubborn Resolve will intersect dramatically. Superpowered Determinator Jujitsuka, anyone?

And yes, the similarity of the name to the super criminal's is intentional. :whistle:

Last edited:
[X] Plan Hard as Water, Soft as Steel
The most interesting power here, so I am going to vote for it.

And the vote is closed.

By my tally, this is the winning plan.

[X] Isabelle Yoman
[X] Female
[X] Belief invulnerability: as long as you are certain of your goal you cannot be harmed by almost any means and gain greatly increased strength and speed.
[X] Well read (-2 points) You did a lot studying before coming here and have a working understanding of the powers of a lot of the common players in New Eden.

Expect to see the next update fairly soon. For those of you whose vote didn't win, I hope you aren't too disappointed. And if you wanted to see a different power, I'll let you know that that is also not impossible within the scope of the quest.

The standard superstrength/toughness combo and Martial arts instead of well read. My vote is just a few posts upwards. Oh, and a name alarmingly similar to the name of the superpowered extremist referenced in the first post, 'cause I thought it'd be interesting.

Like I said, it's close enough. I'm not actually upset or anything, don't worry.

Arrival
[X] Isabelle Yoman
[X] Female

You've taken the train into New Eden city. Driving would be too much of a hassle and would involve figuring out what to do with your car, and arriving by plane would be hard to justify to yourself in terms of expense when you lived so close to a train station. This isn't the first time you've been to the city- that was when you had taken the obligatory campus tour of the college you would be studying at. That said, New Eden is still a startling change from your medium sized home town. You've been to cities many times before on vacations so it isn't the size or number of people that startles you as you stare out the window of the train. It's how neat and ordered and clean everything is. The skyscrapers seem arranged neatly- artfully even, and despite your relative distance from the city proper you can easily pick out the greenery and color of numerous parks and flowerbeds. You weren't certain you really bought into the idea that smart cities like New Eden were really the answer to all of society's woes, but they certainly were nice to look at.

A few minutes later your train pulls into the station and you stand up, grabbing the only thing you've brought with you- a fairly compact wheeled suitcase. The rest of your luggage you had brought up with your parents and set up in your dorm room the week before, but you were only officially moving in as of today. You've never really been one to enjoy large crowds, but despite this you take the jostling and being bumped into by people hurrying to exit the train good naturedly. It wasn't really worth getting upset about, and you don't exactly have a reason to complain about being one of the last people off the train- it's not as if you had any particularly pressing or urgent business today. A few minutes later, after passing through the crowded lobby of New Eden's central train station, you found yourself standing just outside it. You breathe in deeply before coughing as you inhale the exhaust from a passing bus. You suppose that even a city like New Eden can't get rid of all the annoyances of being in a city. You glance around before spying the board outlining the bus schedule. There were a few things you wanted to get done today, and the sensible thing to do was check the bus routes before deciding on what to do first. A quick scan informs you that you were probably better off walking to New Eden's designated shopping district than waiting for a bus- that had been the one that just left. On the other hand, a bus to the university's entrance was about to arrive and you could drop off your luggage and finally meet your roommate....

Your contemplation of your options is interrupted by a loud beeping from your phone and all of the other phones around you.

Begin Transmission

The Crown
Dominion Eternal
Authority Unquestioned
Claim it and fear not the whims of the small

End Transmission

This is followed by your phone opening up google maps and navigating to... Just a block from here! You glance up and around. A lot of people seem frozen, but a few have already started sprinting. You should- you hear the whine of speakers activating before a loud and authoritative voice comes through.

"By authority of the Excalibur Initiative under section 7 article 3 of our contract with the Eden Project and the Federal Government, the radius within five blocks of the spot pinpointed by the transmission is now under lockdown. Ability use in the area is temporarily illegal and will be met with proportionate force. Anyone already within this area is advised to shelter in place until an all clear is given."

Your first few minutes in the city and all of this was already happening. Frankly it was exciting. You didn't much desire to be a criminal but what was up for grabs was just too large to ignore. Besides which, you knew from your reading that whenever one of these transmissions happened or when ability users got into fights cameras in the area mysteriously shut down. As long as you didn't go shouting your name everywhere, it was unlikely anyone would find you after the fact.

That being said, what do you intend to do?
[] Shelter in place like you were supposed to. This was a big opportunity, yes, but jumping in blind first thing could be dangerous.
[] Get closer, but don't necessarily make a move for the Crown. You want to see what's going to happen first and decide then if getting involved is a good idea.
[] This is what you're here for isn't it? You may have reacted a bit slower than the people around you, but none of them were moving superhumanly quickly. In all likelihood, you might be the only one with a high level power anywhere nearby. You might not ever get a chance like this again! (Warning: Triggers Stubborn Resolve)
[] Write-in (May trigger Stubborn Resolve)​

Welcome to the deep end first thing. An artifact showing up means all the major players in the city try to make some kind of move, and the Excalibur Initiative takes the kid gloves pretty much all the way off. Diving right in means you've definitely got a fight on your hands, but the prize is a big one. Don't overlook the benefits of staying on the sidelines though- not diving for the Crown means you'll have the opportunity to act while everyone else is focused on it.​

[X] This is what you're here for isn't it? You may have reacted a bit slower than the people around you, but none of them were moving superhumanly quickly. In all likelihood, you might be the only one with a high level power anywhere nearby. You might not ever get a chance like this again! (Warning: Triggers Stubborn Resolve)
Yolo

[X] YES! ARTEFACT... WAIT WAIT: calm down. Try to find the artefact as quickly as possible and try to run past opposition. Attempt to get a means to hide your appearance (balaclava, tying a jacket around head, some other method that we know of that may conceal appearances) so long as it doesn't slow you down too much. Once in sight of the artefact grab it and stick it in the suit case if possible, if not just try to dodge any of the big names and excalibur and hide until it blows uver. If the area where the artefact is found is the sight of a fight try to sneak in and recover the artefact. If someones grabbed it already then formulate a plan to take it off them.

@Wander
1. Do we know what happens if someone gets an artefact?
2. Do we know what our power is yet
3. Do we know of any distinguishing features of an artefact (Using well read bonus)
4. Would we know how Excalibur would search for artefact (well read again)
5. Write in ok?
6. Has anyone tried to eat an artefact?
7. What do we have on us ATM.
8. Well read bonus on the "major players" who is most likely to show and what can they do from our reading?

Last edited:
[X] Try to find the artefact as quickly as possible, without using your power overtly (if precise control is possible yet). Attempt to get a means to hide your appearance (balaclava, tying a jacket around head, some other method that we know of that may conceal appearances) so long as it doesn't slow you down too much. If the artefact is located recover it and hide it upon person, if the area where the artefact is found is the sight of a fight try to sneak in and recover the artefact. If someones grabbed it already then formulate a plan.

@Wander
1. Do we know what happens if someone gets an artefact?
2. Do we know what our power is yet
3. Do we know of any distinguishing features of an artefact (Using well read bonus)
4. Would we know how Excalibur would search for artefact (well read again)
5. Write in ok?
6. Has anyone tried to eat an artefact?
7. What do we have on us yet.
In order:
  1. It varies a lot. Sometimes people pick one up and can immediately use it for a huge power boost, sometimes they do something unrelated to the power of the person using it, sometimes they take a couple hours to figure out how to use.
  2. Yes.
  3. They're really hard to miss.
  4. They would go to the place where the transmission said it would be and find it pretty much immediately because it isn't hidden. The tricky bit is holding onto it.
  5. Yes.
  6. No.
  7. Random articles of clothing, phone, a laptop, a couple books.

In order:
  1. It varies a lot. Sometimes people pick one up and can immediately use it for a huge power boost, sometimes they do something unrelated to the power of the person using it, sometimes they take a couple hours to figure out how to use.
  2. Yes.
  3. They're really hard to miss.
  4. They would go to the place where the transmission said it would be and find it pretty much immediately because it isn't hidden. The tricky bit is holding onto it.
  5. Yes.
  6. No.
  7. Random articles of clothing, phone, a laptop, a couple books.
Adding in some new ones

8. Well read bonus on the "major players" who is most likely to show and what can they do from our reading?
1. Can we see the artefact from where we are now?
2. Do we know the average response time for excalibur to react to an artefact?
3. How big is an artefact on average or does it just vary?
4. With our maximum super speed (Assuming we just pull up a hoodie or something to hide our appearance) how fast could we get to the artefact?
5. Do we have a bag?
6. How fast are we?
7. Looking at the OP there are 4+ artifacts assuming each gem is its own one, with this one being the crown. Which other artifacts have been found?

Last edited:
[X] This is what you're here for isn't it? You may have reacted a bit slower than the people around you, but none of them were moving superhumanly quickly. In all likelihood, you might be the only one with a high level power anywhere nearby. You might not ever get a chance like this again! (Warning: Triggers Stubborn Resolve)

Oh. For some reason I confused Alex pears with the author of the winning plan. :oops:

Straight into the plot, eh? I'll take the Nope option instead and watch it on the news what terrible things happened to the ones who made a run for it.

[x] Shelter in place like you were supposed to. This was a big opportunity, yes, but jumping in blind first thing could be dangerous.

Last edited:
Sound advice.

Adding in some new ones

1. Can we see the artefact from where we are now?
2. Do we know the average response time for excalibur to react to an artefact?
3. How big is an artefact on average or does it just vary?
4. With our maximum super speed (Assuming we just pull up a hoodie or something to hide our appearance) how fast could we get to the artefact?
5. Do we have a bag?
6. How fast are we?
7. Looking at the OP there are 4+ artifacts assuming each gem is its own one, with this one being the crown. Which other artifacts have been found?
Starting from number 8...

1. Ashley Weaver will almost certainly put in an appearance eventually, although her response time has been known to vary heavily. She almost always acts entirely through overwhelming physical force and she has sometimes shown the ability to unleash powerful jets of flame and heat. She often displays other strange quirks and abilities, but they're inconsistent and hard to quantify. The Wild Man may or may not put in an appearance- no one is quite sure what exactly his ability is, but he turns the area around him into a strange jungle and looks like a tarzan cosplayer. The Black Knight usually appears on the scene very quickly. They're a pretty standard brute wearing plate armor so people can't recognize them, but they have the Sword artifact which so far has displayed the ability to cut through just about anything, including such things as explosions and fireballs that would otherwise hurt them. The Queen will definitely show up, because the crown fits her aesthetic. No one is quite sure what exactly it is she does, but she grabbed the Scepter out from basically everyone else's noses and then seemed to pretty casually avoid everyone else trying to gang up on her. These four are probably the most well known players, but everyone comes out of the woodwork when an artifact chows up, including a lot of new players so the list is by no means exhaustive.
  2. Nope
  3. Fast. No slower than 5 minutes to get anywhere in the city, though full deployment of heavy assets takes longer.
  4. Car on the highway fast, you could probably get to the artifact in under a minute assuming no serious opposition.
  5. You have your suitcase.
  6. See above.
  7. I mentioned a few. The Sword, the Scepter, Ashley has a lot of gems (Sapphire, Diamond, Ruby, Onyx, Pearl), The Wild Man has the Emerald, the Excalibur Initiative got their hands on the Shield though they have yet to deploy anyone with it. Otherwise, the Band of Gold and Silver showed up, but no one is sure who has it.
Straight into the plot, eh? I'll take the Nope option instead and watch it on the news what terrible things happen to the ones who made a run for it.
Yup. If your build had been different the introduction would have changed as well, but if a straightforward build with a high powerlevel won, dumping you right into the deep end felt like the right thing to do.

Last edited:
[X] Get closer, but don't necessarily make a move for the Crown. You want to see what's going to happen first and decide then if getting involved is a good idea.

Full commitment without any details is nice in its own way, but maybe not the best start. We haven't even met our roommate yet! That said, a Crown would be a pretty nice start.

Last edited:

[X]we have to get there NOW what happens if someone does something bad with this? the government? long showed itself corrupt, villains? easily going to be going for it, so many things that could go wrong, we have to get there NOW if only so that no one else will abuse this things power. all the same this is what we have been waiting for is it not? to make a TRUE difference, to fight back against a system of decadence and superpowers and overall boundless big government and corporations.

Last edited:

New
[X] This is what you're here for isn't it? You may have reacted a bit slower than the people around you, but none of them were moving superhumanly quickly. In all likelihood, you might be the only one with a high level power anywhere nearby. You might not ever get a chance like this again! (Warning: Triggers Stubborn Resolve)​

Meh. Might as well make our entrance a flashy one. Besides, high risk, yes, but high reward too; if we can grab it before anyone else, then we automatically get a huge boost. (Though I'll acknowledge that we're less than likely to pull this off without issue.)

Back