Character Sheet
Character Sheet

Zarya: That's you. A (former) debt-peon now once possessed by a demon an alien.
-"Demon": Formless and shapeless... a glowing unknown mass of bubbles. (An alien in truth!) (Freed!)
-Spiritual Aptitude: Zarya gains access to the following spells after praying to the Water-bearer statue in Antioch, which is permanently infused with a Spiritual Aptitude of 60.
--Spell: Momentum (enhanced movement speed)
--Spell: Dissolution (split apart into a mass of bubbles)
--Spell: Amorphization (transition of body shape between human and alien)
--Spell: Hydration (manipulation of already existing water)
--Spell: Kryation (manipulation of already existing ice)
-Characteristics
--Cautious I:
requires 75+% voter approval to interact with any HM or MP without a (+) mark
--Cautious II: requires 75+% voter approval to reveal demon-possessed status on purpose
--Disciplined I: gain (+) with any HM or MP after following a direct order from her
--Disciplined II: gain (-) with any HM or MP after disobeying a direct order from her
--Water I: the more water you are near, the easier it is to use your magic
--Water II: must be near a body of water (or another source) to use your magic
--Water-bearer: Zarya has constructed a statue in Antioch and poured all of the spiritual essence she's acquired over the past few months into it. She must pray to this statue to use spells as of The Moon.
-Additional notes: One of your black eyes has turned blue, as have the tips of your black hair. Currently resolved to control her Demon. Has made progress in suppressing it. Has not yet attempted to manifest it. Currently traveling with Linza, Philippos, Libra Venus, Theodora, and Capricorn Saturn, with the aim of helping Theodora take revenge against the cultists who sacrificed her, and their allies inside the military and the church. Now able to manifest her "Demon" for a up to ten minutes at a time after meditating on JOY or BEAUTY while being around WATER for a few minutes. If in the ocean, the manifestation is immediate and can be held indefinitely. Has agreed to join the church, though it may be was temporary. Currently residing in Antioch. Has learned that her "Demon" is actually an alien being from another world, and is aiming for an amicable separation. Can sculpt ice with her powers, and will learn to work with other materials. Has traveled to Sardis on behalf of the Antiochian Church... and with her mission done, it's time to go! She's returned to Antioch with a warning... a rogue Angel is on the attack! While in Antioch, waiting for the attack, she constructed the WATER-BEARER statue and transferred her spiritual power to it. Not long afterwards, she was separated from The Being, and the two defeated the Angel by working together. Later, she would be instrumental in defeating the Demon known as BELIAL.

Martin Aurelius of Sardis (-): Your former master, who resides in Sardis. He is a wealthy businessman and landowner. He owns several workshops that provide various goods, such as agricultural equipment, weapons, industrial and mining tools, and so on. He's dead, murdered by cultists and sacrificed to a Demon.
-Cornelia Prima (+): His wife, and your former mistress. Despite Martin owning your debt, Cornelia had roped you into her service and not his. She treated you well enough and kept you close. Now the captive of Dione. Was traveling with your group, and left in Ephesus.
-Lucian Aurelius: Their young son. Travelling with his mother.
-Aurelia Prima: Their young daughter. Travelling with her mother.
-Julian Aurelius: Martin's brother, and an artisan. Status unknown.
-Aurelia Prima: Martin's sister, seeking marriage and now possessed by the same Demon that once possessed Theodora. Looks like she wants to escape, so maybe there's an opportunity to work together. Was traveling with your group, having been denied an opportunity to sacrifice avenge herself, and left in Ephesus.
-Mettia Prima: Martin's elderly mother, a widow. Status unknow.
-Fellow former slaves: Linza (+) (she); Eusebius (+; in Ephesus) (he); Philippos (+) (he); Anacletus (he); Hypatos (he); Lucretia (she; in Sardis); Theokleia (she; in Sardis); and many others...
-- Linza and Philippos are currently accompanying Zarya travelling with Capricorn Saturn.

The Holy Maidens:
Seven powerful and virtuous women based on in specific major cities.
-Humility (+): Resides in Sardis. Can detect lies, among other abilities. Was in Antioch / Ephesus, aiming to crush cultists. Now resides in Ephesus, having gained firm control over the city and its politics. Has retaken her hometown.
--Spiritual Aptitude: 84
-Kindness (+): Resides in Pergamum. Can heal any injury, among other abilities. Was sent to Sardis on Humility's order. Fled to Ephesus after Dione tried to capture her. Joined up with you temporarily to fight the rogue Angel, and now heading out to Pergamum once more. Has now taken charge of her home.
--Spiritual Aptitude: 57
---Spell: Healing I → Healing II → Healing III (cures wounds)
---Spell: Understanding I → Understanding II → Understanding III (connect minds)
---Spell: Reciprocating I → Reciprocating II → Reciprocating III (shares feelings)
-Charity: Resides in Thyatira. Can grant powers to the Mystic Priestesses. Traitor. Defeated and sent to Antioch, where she lives outside the city in a villa.
-Diligence: Formerly resided in Ephesus. Status unknown. Dead.
-Patience: Resides in Philadelphia.
-Chastity: Resides in Smyrna. Can block magic (?). Murdered by invaders from Antioch.
-Temperance: Resides in Laodicea. Status unknown, probably either heading to Sardis or already there. Found in Sardis, and rescued! Now marching towards Sardis and Laodicea, having just retaken the former.
--Spiritual Aptitude: 51
---Spell: Balanced Mind: Emotion (reduces emotional fluctuations)
---Spell: Balanced Body: Attack (strengthens body when attacking)
---Spell: Balanced Body: Defense (strengthens body when defending)
---Spell: Balanced Soul: Flow (occasionally slips around enemy attacks)

The Mystic Priestesses: Twelve powerful and virtuous women who wander the land.
-Libra Venus / Melina (+): First encountered outside Philadelphia. Skilled with the cithara. Very friendly. Now travelling with Zarya. Now travelling to Laodicea with Scorpio Mars, having met up in Antioch. Will be captured in Sardis unless you step in! Has rejoined your group and evaded capture! Lived with you in Antioch until her encounter with the rogue Angel, at which point she abandoned her old identity and renamed herself Melina. She's also put down her blessed cithara and now lives in a small commune.
--Spiritual Aptitude: 75
---Spell: Song of Roaring Flames (encourages and emboldens)
---Spell: Song of Calm Waters (relaxes and subdues)
---Spell: Song of Magnetism (attracts to a specific target)
---Spell: Song of the Sunshine (inspires warmth and joy)
---Spell: Song of Growth (draws out hidden powers)
---Spell: Song of Affection (draws out tender memories)
-Leo Sun: Deceased. (see also Theodora) Restored!
-Spiritual Aptitude: 85
--Spell: Block! (grow furred armor)
--Spell: Slash! (grow fire claws)
--Spell: Move! (gain super-speed)
--Spell: Strike! (gain super-strength)
--Spell: Roar! (intimidate)
--Spell: Burn! (gain fire breath)
--Spell: Transform! (lion aura coat)
-Sagittarius Jupiter: Resides in Sardis. Can command lightning. Now located in Ephesus and without her powers, aiding Humility. Has her powers once more.
-Taurus Venus: First encountered outside Philadelphia. Resides there.
-??? Pisces Jupiter: Resides in Sardis. Can command emotions. (see Dione)
-Virgo Mercury I / Virginia (-): First encountered in Ephesus. Can command demons and influence people. Searched for the Holy Maiden of Diligence on the orders of the Sovereign Priest of Antioch. Encountered again outside Antioch, and formed a temporary alliance. But the alliance is now broken, and it seems like she can only see Zarya as an enemy over circumstances that were not Zarya's fault. After having betrayed the Church and sided with the cultists in Ephesus, she was captured, brought back to Antioch, and stripped of her position. Is now called Virginia. Possessed by BELIAL (formerly).
--Spiritual Aptitude: 50 0 !?!?!? 0
-Gemini Mercury: Resided in Thyatira. Has some sort of magical hearing ability. Now in custody in Antioch.
-Capricorn Saturn (+): First encountered in Smyrna. Can predict events. Now travelling with Zarya. Heading back to Smyrna. Aiding the attack on Thyatira. Currently helping to restore Church control in Thyatira. Status unknown. Recovered from the rogue Angel's grasp and heading back to Smyrna, but not before warning you of a future disaster! Now on the way to Thyatira to restore that city, having restored Smyrna to a functional state.
--Spiritual Aptitude: 50
---Spell: Forewarn (predicts one upcoming disaster per day)
----Capricorn Saturn does not learn more spells. Instead, the quality of her warnings is improved.
-Aries Mars (+):
Resides in Laodicea. Former friend of Theodora. Was in Antioch, now marching towards Sardis and Laodicea. Helped to retake Sardis.
--Spiritual Aptitude: 75
---Aries Mars does not gain her own spells. Instead, her ability to draw out the full might of the Sword of Savage Strength increases.
-Scorpio Mars (+):
Resides in Laodicea. Now travelling to Laodicea with Libra Venus, having met up in Antioch. Will be captured in Sardis unless you step in! Has joined your group and evaded capture! Now marching towards Sardis and Laodicea. Helped to retake Sardis.
--Spiritual Aptitude: 51
---Scorpio Mars does not gain her own spells. Instead, her ability to draw out the full might of the Shield of Sturdy Strength increases.
-Cancer Moon (+):
Resides in Antioch. Status is unknown. Searching for her. Found her and joined forces to take down the Advocates. Convinced Zarya to join the Church and exorcised the Demon from Theodora. Planning to exorcise the Demon from Zarya as well. Having been made aware that The Being was an alien and not a Demon, she would successfully exorcise it from Zarya. Has been kidnapped by BELIAL, and is now free and restored.
-Aquarius Saturn (+): Was found in a dungeon in Thyatira after having been presumed dead. Was helping to restore Church control in Thyatira, now in Antioch. Can witness the past. Gave you a kind warning.
-Virgo Mercury II: Virginia's replacement. Seems to be loyal to the church. Resides in Antioch and helps the Sovereign Priest of Antioch.

Gaius Helvius of Philadelphia: The son and heir of a wealthy farmer of the same name from the Philadelphia area.
-Ennia Segunda: His wife.

Theodora (+): The former Mystic Priestess Leo Sun. Was used as a human sacrifice to summon a Demon that now possesses her. NO LONGER IN CONTROL. Back in control, and no longer possessed... though her eyes have been permanently changed. Has a small grudge towards Zarya, but is mostly over it. Restored as the Mystic Priestess Leo Sun. Crusher of a Demon of Darkness (with help from her friend and ally Zarya).
-Demon: What must assuredly be some sort of water-dwelling dragon.
-Spiritual Aptitude: 85 0 (see Leo Sun)
--Spell: Block! (grow scale armor)
--Spell: Crunch! (grow fangs)
--Spell: Slash! (grow claws)
--Spell: Swipe! (grow a tail)
--Spell: Seek! (improve eyesight; gain night vision)
--Spell: Move! (gain super-speed)
--Spell: Rampage! (gain strength; lose control)
-Allies: Eugenios, Thais, Daniel (three heretics that Theodora met in a small town near the desert)

The Sovereign Priest of Antioch: A virtuous (?) man in charge of the Church of the Followers of the Way. Currently residing in Smyrna after being chased out of Antioch by an Advocate-led rebellion. Was critically injured and recovered in Smyrna before returning to Antioch. His return has been controversial amongst the people of the city.

!?!?!? Kavouras / Celso Longinus (-): A man formerly possessed by a Crab-shaped Demon. Fought Theodora outside Smyrna and was defeated. However, his soldiers managed to recover his body. Is likely licking his wounds and heading to Antioch. His abilities include growing shell armor, turning his arms into pincers, and transforming into a big crab. He was chased out of Antioch and is likely recovering in fled to Ephesus. Goal: defeat him for good! He was burned alive by Humility in Ephesus and is either dead or close to it. Regardless, he is no longer possessed by the Demon Crab!
-Demon: An otherwise ordinary looking crab, if quite larger than a man.
-Spiritual Aptitude: 85
--Spell: Protect. (grow shell armor)
--Spell: Pincer. (grow pincers)
--Spell: Molt. (shed shell armor healing)
--Spell: Carcinize. (full body transformation)
--Spell: Tidal. (control water)
--Spell: Swell. (increase size)
--Spell: Shrink. (reduce size)

???: A man possessed by a demonic serpent, who is likely near Sardis... if he's still alive. (He's not.)

Silvina (+) and Silas (+): Two house slaves, currently under the command of the Livius estate in Ephesus. They're brother and sister. Currently Were last seen working with spies loyal to the Antiochian church to break cultist control over the city and end slavery there. They have succeeded.

Dione (-): The former Mystic Priestess Pisces Jupiter. A holy woman who is also a snake, as she's the possessor of a Demon Serpent. However, she seems to be the one in control of the snake... and also in control of Sardis, having wrested spiritual control away from the Followers of the Way. Wants you to be her ally... is not doing a good job of it. Alerted you to a vision of death and despair... could it be true? (You made it false!) Has lost Sardis and fled from this world... to another place, not death.

Apollonia (+): A cultist woman who is knowledgeable about spirits and curious about the Being. Once the Being is free from you, she wants to study it for herself. Hopes that you'll come back to Sardis soon. Instead came down to Antioch to visit you. Now travelling the land with The Being for company.
-"Demon": ZIZ, King of the Birds
-Spiritual Aptitude: 55
--Spell: RAVEN (send messages of bad fortune)
--Spell: CHICKEN (send messages of good fortune)
--Spell: GOOSE (defend self from wickedness)
--Spell: CALADRIUS (treat sickness and wounds)

BELIAL (-): A demon of living darkness and the shadow of the angels. Uses cultists like puppets, and now possessing Virginia. Looking to possess the Trinity. Has kidnapped Cancer Moon. Has been defeated!

There are other characters, of course, but they'll be added over time.

Other Notes:
(+) = favored towards you
(-) = biased against you

Last edited:
Adhoc vote count started by Solarstream on May 10, 2023 at 7:22 AM, finished with 4 posts and 4 votes.

• [X][Story] "Or maybe why Aurelia Prima is now someone like us?"
    -[X] "She certainly didn't seem happy about her brother's death."
    [x][Seat] ...Aries Mars...
    [x][Story] "Perhaps you'd like to know how I met the Serpent?"
    [X][Story] "Or maybe why Aurelia Prima is now someone like us?"

current tally. looks like i'll have time to do a second update this week, so i'll close the vote at this time:

Judgement (V)
Winning vote:
[X][Seat] ...Aries Mars...
[X][Story] "Or maybe why Aurelia Prima is now someone like us?"
-[X] "She certainly didn't seem happy about her brother's death."
Winning vote:
Q1 "Call me curious but…You claim I have a demon, but not that you have one, right? What makes you so sure that what has been bonded to me is not the same as yours?"
Q2 "Given that you were a holy woman, and not a part of the group who summoned these beings into this world, how did you end up with one?"
Q3 Maybe you could tell me what your Demon wants... and why you are going along with it.
Q4 This whole song and dance with summoning and banishing demons is old. Why do you expect it to go differently this time?
Q5 What have you heard about me, and why do you need me given what you heard?

Judgement (V)

By the time Linza and Philippos have returned, you have a rough understanding of how Aurelia Prima ended up in the state that she is. Cornelia Prima, her sister-in-law, had aided the Holy Maiden of Kindness in escaping from this city, taking the place of said holy woman when agents were sent to capture her. Martin Aurelius, Aurelia Prima's brother and Cornelia Prima's husband, attempted to denounce the two of them for his gain. Instead, he was sacrificed to the Demons! Dione then attempted to sacrifice Cornelia Prima as well, but Aurelia Prima intervened, begging for her salvation!

And so, a deal was made – as long as Aurelia Prima accepted being fused with the Leviathan, Cornelia Prima would be spared. Said woman remains in her villa outside Sardis, under guard. You're a bit surprised that Dione would allow that, but it sounds like Cornelia Prima is still under her mind control, and so is Aurelia Prima. So, there's nothing for Dione to worry about.

Well, there wasn't anything to worry about. Not until your group arrived.

(Having learned this, has Zarya's opinion of Aurelia Prima changed at all?)
[][Aurelia Prima] You never thought you'd feel bad for this woman... but you do. You have to do something to help her. (Gain (+) with Aurelia Prima)
[][Aurelia Prima] You'll help her if you can, but she's not your priority. She can survive like this a bit longer.
[][Aurelia Prima] (due to the circumstances, a write-in will be needed to go to (-) with Aurelia Prima if desired)

Speaking of your group, Linza and Philippos have returned. The two of them are just as stunned by the array of food as you were. Unlike you, Linza immediately starts stuffing her mouth with food, having to be reminded by Philippos to display proper manners. With a huff, she properly places her food on a silver plate, and takes that and a heavy glass of wine to her seat, leaving a space between herself and Aurelia Prima for Philippos to sit in. As for him, the next words out of his mouth are compliments to the chefs.

Dione chuckles heartily. "I'll be sure to let them know."

She then turns to you. "Well then, Zarya, your friends are here. Shall we start the proceedings?"

You swallow down a bite of stuffed... squid, that's what Dione called it. "Yes, let's. I have some questions for you if you don't mind me starting?"

She shakes her head. "Not at all. Go ahead."

You nod. "Then let's start with the basics. Are you possessed by a Demon? I can sense something faint and evil emanating from you, but I'm not sure what it is."

"Getting right to it, huh? Well, it would be more accurate to say that I am the possessor of the Serpent. But in essence, you are correct. I can tell that you also possess a Demon, though it's hard for me to tell which one. Its tranquil aura is unfamiliar to me," she says, briefly looking into your blue eye.

...this is a gamble to bring up, but you decide that it's worth it to see how she reacts. "If that's the case, then how can you be so certain? Before this point, you never claimed to have been possessed by a Demon. What if I'm the same way, though for a different reason?" you then ask.

Your companions look stunned that you would bring this up, and Theodora even pulls you aside and asks you what you think you're doing. Your reply is that you'd like her to trust you on this one, and not interject unless it seems necessary. As for Dione, she simply looks confused, not sure what you could be getting at. After all, there's no way that the cultists could have pulled down an Angel, only a holy woman could do that, and likely only the Trinity at that. So, a Demon has to be the only option...

Speaking of a Demon, the Serpent choses this moment to interject, calling itself forth by turning one of Dione's brown eyes into a yellow snake's eye and speaking through her mouth. "Heheheh... my human vessel is not aware of the truth. I have not told her."

You narrow your eyes. "It's you."

The Serpent chuckles darkly. "Indeed. It is I. Looks like you've recovered your memories."

"I had hoped that Humility got rid of you... but I guess you Demons can be quite persistent."

Linza looks ready to draw her sword and strike, having not been disarmed before entering. But she's too far away to attack without the Serpent noticing, and so Philippos is talking her into holding back for now. Aurelia Prima either hasn't noticed her yet or doesn't care, as her attention is entirely fixed on the Serpent.

Dione shakes her head and speaks. "We're the ones who brought the Serpent back. But what truth are the two of you talking about?"

"Heheheh... I suppose you should start, Zarya. I'll then fill in the rest."

"..."

You take a deep breath and continue.

"...the truth is that I'm not possessed by a Demon at all. This being inside me is from another world entirely. It's an alien!"

Before Dione can react, the Serpent continues. "What's more, one of my prior vessels was responsible for calling it forth to this world in the first place. Though, because I needed to avoid detection, I couldn't make myself known to you earlier. But now that you're here, I will...!?"

The Serpent immediately attempts to fix his hypnotic gaze upon you, but Dione blocks her left eye with her hands, saving your mind from his grasp. "We talked about this. I told you, Serpent, we're doing things my way tonight. It's the least we could do for putting her in this position in the first place."

"Ha! Your way means nothing to me! I...!"

"You will remain silent," and then Dione recites a holy chant and the Serpent's presence diminishes to almost nothing as she speaks. The scales on her face, arms, and legs even retreat beneath her dress, and her snake eyes returns to normal. "Apologies, Zarya. ...and it seems your situation is quite a strange one... a being from another world, not a Demon. I don't know anything about that, but I know someone who does. She's even in town, having fled Ephesus while she could. Do you wish to meet her?"

You glance over to Linza and Philippos, and they both nod. Looks like they'll go with you if you do.

So...

[][Unknown Woman] You'll meet her.
-[][Unknown Woman] You'll even be generous and let Dione also be there. (Gain (+) with Dione)
-[][Unknown Woman] But Dione will have to wait outside.
[][Unknown Woman] You won't meet her.
-[][Unknown Woman] (you may write-in an excuse or simply refuse to elaborate)

(There are still more questions to ask... I have them listed above in order Q1 to Q5. Q1 was answered here, and I'd like to know if the current order is fine or if you'd rather something be addressed first.)
[][Questions] Current order is fine. (Q2, Q3, Q4, Q5)
[][Questions] Re-arrange them (but how?)

Spiritual Aptitude: 40

QM Note: Questions and answers, to be continued...

Hrrrm!
So Seepent IS the big bad, and more importantly?
We just had him and Dione disagree, even if only briefly…That might cause problems in their camp…
From what I saw, Leviathan-the Serpent, seems to be basically here attempting to conquer his way into this world. But he has to work via pasties, because if Theodora had her powers still she probably would be able to tear the Leviathan and it's host to pieces…

[x][Aurelia Prima] You never thought you'd feel bad for this woman... but you do. You have to do something to help her. (Gain (+) with Aurelia Prima)
[x][Unknown Woman] You'll meet her.
-[x][Unknown Woman] You'll even be generous and let Dione also be there. (Gain (+) with Dione)
[x][Questions] Current order is fine. (Q2, Q3, Q4, Q5)

From what I saw, Leviathan-the Serpent, seems to be basically here attempting to conquer his way into this world. But he has to work via pasties, because if Theodora had her powers still she probably would be able to tear the Leviathan and it's host to pieces…

Clarification: Leviathan is the Demon possessing Aurelia Prima. The Serpent is inhabiting Dione's body. They're different.

[x][Aurelia Prima] You'll help her if you can, but she's not your priority. She can survive like this a bit longer.
-[x][Unknown Woman] But Dione will have to wait outside.

[x][Aurelia Prima] You never thought you'd feel bad for this woman... but you do. You have to do something to help her. (Gain (+) with Aurelia Prima)
-[x][Unknown Woman] You'll even be generous and let Dione also be there. (Gain (+) with Dione)

Last edited:

Adhoc vote count started by Solarstream on May 14, 2023 at 5:41 PM, finished with 8 posts and 4 votes.

• [x][Aurelia Prima] You never thought you'd feel bad for this woman... but you do. You have to do something to help her. (Gain (+) with Aurelia Prima)
    [x][Aurelia Prima] You'll help her if you can, but she's not your priority. She can survive like this a bit longer.
    -[x][Unknown Woman] But Dione will have to wait outside.

vote's closed~!

edit: btw, Character Sheet was updated

Last edited:
Judgement (VI)
Winning vote:
[X][Aurelia Prima] You never thought you'd feel bad for this woman... but you do. You have to do something to help her. (Gain (+) with Aurelia Prima)
[X][Unknown Woman] You'll meet her.
-[X][Unknown Woman] You'll even be generous and let Dione also be there. (Gain (+) with Dione)
[X][Questions] Current order is fine. (Q2, Q3, Q4, Q5)
Winning vote:
Q1 "Call me curious but…You claim I have a demon, but not that you have one, right? What makes you so sure that what has been bonded to me is not the same as yours?"
Q2 "Given that you were a holy woman, and not a part of the group who summoned these beings into this world, how did you end up with one?"
Q3 Maybe you could tell me what your Demon wants... and why you are going along with it.
Q4 This whole song and dance with summoning and banishing demons is old. Why do you expect it to go differently this time?
Q5 What have you heard about me, and why do you need me given what you heard?

Judgement (VI)

...you agree to meet with this mysterious scholar named Apollonia. In addition, you'll even allow Dione to accompany you and (hopefully) learn the truth alongside you. You get more bewildered looks from your companions, but thankfully Dione trots out of the room to write a letter to that woman and you can explain yourself while she's away. Once again, you ask for their trust and confidence – you're hoping that seeming to be aligned with Dione and doing favors for her will pay off in more information and maybe even aid. Or, at the very least, her not getting in your way when the time comes.

And speaking of aid, you turn to Aurelia Prima and ask her one simple question. "How can we help you?"

Her eyes go wide. "You want to help me?"

"Of course. I don't want to leave you and Cornelia Prima trapped like this."

"Besides, you'll both owe us for our assistance~," notes Linza, merrily drinking her wine with a smile on her face. You weren't going to be quite so mercenary about it to Aurelia Prima's face, but Linza does have a point. Although, you have to wonder what good them owing you a favor would do now. No, you're doing this because it's what you want to do, though you don't say that out loud. Instead, you keep up a stoic face, note that Dione is on the way back, and ask again what aid she needs.

She's quick about it, and then clams up once Dione returns.

[][Aid AP] "Go to Cornelia Prima and get her away from here."
[][Aid AP] "Help me find a way to break free from her control."
[][Aid AP] "I need an exorcism. It's the easiest way to save me."

"We will meet with Apollonia in the afternoon, sharing another meal together," says Dione as she takes her seat.

"Another feast?" asks Philippos. "How generous."

"Is this how you plan on recruiting us?" asks Linza.

"Hmmm... no, this next one will be a simpler affair. And I'd hope to recruit you to our cause because you have sincere faith in it, not because of earthly delights.... or because you fear punishment."

Aurelia Prima grumbles under her breath as she gets more food, joined by Linza and Philippos. The three of them start chatting in whispers at the table, so you take the opportunity to ask Dione your next question. "Well, we can at least agree that your Demon is a Demon. Given that you used to be a Mystic Priestess, how did you end up with one?"

"Hmph! Isn't that obvious?" asks Aries Mars. "The cultists helped her out. Maybe she was always one..."

Theodora shakes her head. "That's not possible. Someone would have found out while she was being confirmed."

"Unless, of course, they didn't know what to look for~," notes Dione. "That said, Aries Mars is half right. The sect that I was raised in is considered one of these cults, but my parents were quite pious people."

"Were?" you ask.

"Tragically murdered."

Aries Mars scoffs. "No doubt sacrificed!"

"Hmph. Believe what you'd like. In any case, I was raised in both the Antiochian Church and our own secret rites, so as long as the secret was kept, there was no issue with my becoming a Mystic Priestess. Indeed, the last woman to hold the post of Pisces Jupiter even encouraged me~!"

"And this was how her faith was rewarded..." comments Theodora.

Dione smirks, but you're not sure why. "Faith is its own reward, Theodora. Though you will see that our goals are not as different as you might think... but before I get into that, do you have any more questions for me Zarya?"

Certainly.

You ask about what her Demon wants and why she's going along with it. After all, isn't such an impious Demon a problem for a holy woman such as herself. However, she claims that it is no problem, as she's the one in control. As for what the Demon wants, its own desires are simple. It wants to have a body of its own to live in this world and rule over others, forming a kingdom of its own. Of course, Dione cannot have such a being running free, and so has it sealed within her own body.

You ask why she thinks that summoning Demons will work out differently this time. In short, the main difference (in Dione's eyes) is the number involved with the summoning and sealing. Most cults are small sects of at most a few dozen people, and so can only accomplish anything at large scale by working together... but even than they're just a small section of the populace. So, why not get said populace involved? The number of Demons can be called forth is thus much bigger, even if she hasn't quite gotten to those high numbers just yet.

You then ask what she's heard about you and why she needs you around.

She gives you another confused look. "Because you're a hero. Isn't that obvious?"

"I'm certainly not the only hero living today," you retort, "and I'm not even the only one in this room."

Dione thinks it over for a moment, glancing at the ceiling before turning her gaze back to you. "Well, that's true, but I think the odds of Theodora ever helping me are close to zero."

"Heh, looks like your brain hasn't fully turned to mush," responds Theodora while finishing up her plate.

Dione frowns, but doesn't respond to the jab, instead focusing on you once more. "Zarya, you're a woman who is possessed by... well, we'll leave that matter aside for now. But the point is that you've done great things, things that were only possible because of your current status."

"Things that I did because of your allies," you counter.

"Oh, people like Kavouras are no ally of mine, I assure you."

...you don't believe that at all, but she does. There must be some splits among the cultists that you don't know about. You don't quite like the fact that she's acting like you've done her a favor, but as long as she's in that mood, you may as well actually get her to grant you her favor.

"So, you want me as... a warrior? I'm no such thing, despite what you've heard," you state.

"Anyone can be a warrior with training. But what I was curious about was the relationship between you and your Demon. Although the fact that it's not one changes things for me... there is still something that I'd like you to help me with, and it will aid with crushing the other cults for good. Your connections in Antioch, Ephesus, and Smyrna should help me with my own goals."

You narrow your eyes. "You want to take over those cities too?"

"Only spiritually. Of course, this would require a fight with Humility... perhaps you can talk her out of it, but if not, you could maybe help fighting her with you water-based abilities."

You raise your voice. "If you think I'm going to help you force more people into..."

She cuts you off. "Zarya, I was hoping... that with your assistance... force would not be needed. Though I should clarify what makes me different from the other cultists, since it doesn't seem to be obvious. I'm sure you've noticed that Aurelia Prima and I prominently display demonic traits yet have retained full control over our bodies."

Theodora laughs bitterly at that, and Aurelia Prima grimaces.

"That's because my goal is not demonic control over people. I want people to be in control... and not just that... I want us to make these Demons like us, beings who can be saved."

Theodora and Aires Mars burst out of their seats before you can say anything, denouncing her as a blasphemer and declaring that such a thing is impossible! Demons are what they are because they inherently reject the light of God and dwell in absolute darkness! Thankfully, Theodora is smart enough not to draw her sword, and so Dione doesn't use the Serpent's powers to force her to back down. Instead, she waits until they've both shouted themselves hoarse before she speaks.

"Of course, I never expected either of you to join me, or even believe in me. And I want nothing to do with you either, so you can just go. But... I'm not going to stop. Not now. This holy mission I've inherited is too important to let myself be held back by your church and its old, limited ways. So, I will work with anyone who allows me to get closer to my goal."

"...you mean, use anyone," you note, bitterly.

Dione doesn't seem to catch on to your meaning as she continues. "There's no shame in using cultists. But if you mean these people of Sardis, then other than this woman here, they've joined me voluntarily. Would you like to meet some of them? We can do that in the morning before our meeting with Apollonia."

You glance over to Linza and Philippos. She shrugs, while he's shaking his head. Do they have their own plans? You do also have your aid to Aurelia Prima to consider... that will take some time.

You think the matter over before you answer.

[][Possessed] "I believe that you're sincere, and so we will meet them if Aurelia Prima also joins us." (That said, Linza and Philippos will go and do their own thing...)
[][Possessed] "I'm afraid I'll have to pass, Dione. We have plans of our own for the morning." (Dione seems upset by this, but the (+) you gained is not lost just yet)

QM Note: Next update starts a new day!

[x][Aid AP] "Help me find a way to break free from her control."

This is useful for more than just Aurelia. If you can figure out how to break the control you can fight the Serpent more directly

[x][Possessed] "I'm afraid I'll have to pass, Dione. We have plans of our own for the morning." (Dione seems upset by this, but the (+) you gained is not lost just yet)

Not really in the mood for more propaganda

Hrrm…
A part of me looks at her, looks at Theodora, and has CONCERNS.
Theo could go into a Berzerker state she had yet to figure out how to master before her exorcism, and even you barely can talk with your demon at your best…
To make matters worse, not all beings necessarily WANT to be here long-term-yours is leaving you, and once it's gone there goes your special powers…
But in short-this feels massively irresponsible to me.
How many people are prepared for this? How many Being desire to come that will be like the Serpent? And how many people are trained as Dione is trained, to keep bad spirits under wraps?
Maybe, IF she can prove these spirits won't be bad actors, AND there is a ready supplies of channelers, this can work.
If she's careless…
You and Crab-man, Kavouras, whatever his name was-you could probably flood a city, working together. Even Humility can only be in one place at any time. This scales quickly-she and hers need a solid plan, or at least can reassure someone who never wanted to be in the middle of all this that this won't go out of control.

The more I think on it, the more this feels like it could go very wrong very fast if she's not careful.

[x][Possessed] "I'm afraid I'll have to pass, Dione. We have plans of our own for the morning." (Dione seems upset by this, but the (+) you gained is not lost just yet)

[x][Possessed] "I believe that you're sincere, and so we will meet them if Aurelia Prima also joins us." (That said, Linza and Philippos will go and do their own thing...)

Let's take a look.

[X][Aid AP] "I need an exorcism. It's the easiest way to save me."
[X][Possessed] "I'm afraid I'll have to pass, Dione. We have plans of our own for the morning." (Dione seems upset by this, but the (+) you gained is not lost just yet)

I knew that our counterpart was a serious problem, but this is a level of ambition that even I did not expect. I won't even list why what she's trying to do is a bad idea, especially since she doesn't strike me as someone who would take that kind of criticism well.

Adhoc vote count started by Solarstream on May 21, 2023 at 5:30 PM, finished with 6 posts and 4 votes.

• [x][Aid AP] "Help me find a way to break free from her control."
    [x][Possessed] "I believe that you're sincere, and so we will meet them if Aurelia Prima also joins us." (That said, Linza and Philippos will go and do their own thing...)
    [X][Aid AP] "I need an exorcism. It's the easiest way to save me."

vote's closed~!

Judgement (VII)
Winning vote:
[X][Aid AP] "Help me find a way to break free from her control."
[X][Possessed] "I'm afraid I'll have to pass, Dione. We have plans of our own for the morning." (Dione seems upset by this, but the (+) you gained is not lost just yet)

Judgement (VII)

In the end, you're not here in Sardis for Dione or her special plan for this world. No, you're here for a specific mission – to recover the Holy Maiden of Temperance, the Mystic Priestess Libra Venus, and the Mystic Priestess Scorpio Mars, and then take them all back to Antioch. The matter of what should be done with this clear heresy should be left to those who care most strongly about it – the Antiochian Church of the Followers of the Way. As for you... you're slowly forging your own path from scattered pieces, both materially and spiritually. You have no plans to take Dione's side, and so don't have much interest in other people who had done so.

So, you answer her query firmly, with soft confidence. "I'm afraid I'll have to pass, Dione. We have plans of our own for the morning."

You can feel the smile on your face as you give her your answer, and it must be disarming her. At first, it looked as though she might protest, but your calm demeanor must be causing her to second-guess herself. "Yes, yes... I had been so focused on your own mission that I'd forgotten that you must have you own reasons for coming here. No doubt to fight against heresy."

With the last utterance, she narrows her eyes and glares at Aries Mars and Theodora who both glare back at her. ...she's not exactly wrong with her assessment, but she's not quite right either. That said, it's better that she thinks this, so you don't contradict her, and neither do Linza nor Philippos. Granted, Linza is too busy enjoying the wine and food to step into the conversation. Philippos, on the other hand, points out that you all will need lodging, and that he hopes that the hospitable holy woman can shelter them.

She giggles merrily. "Certainly~! Yes, I'll even allow Aries Mars and Theodora to stay with you. You'll find that the rooms of this domus have all been prepared for guests to stay. I will be sleeping elsewhere, however, as will Aurelia Prima."

Aurelia Prima takes a last sip of her wine, and then eyes her silver cup. "Yes... it must be dark out by now, so I'll have return to my villa. Cornelia Prima must be missing me by now~." The big woman reclines in her seat, chuckling, but there's a false smile on her face. You hope that you all can find a way to break her free from Dione's control sooner rather than later...

She looks over at Dione. "Shall we depart?"

Dione, having finished her ration of bread some time ago, agrees. But hold on...

"Wasn't there a private matter you wanted to discuss with me?" you ask as Dione gets up.

"..." You've taken your eyepatch off here, so she stares directly into your blue eye before turning her gaze back into your black eye. "...I have changed my mind. This isn't an appropriate time for it. Zarya, I have clearly not yet convinced you that I mean well, and so I'll have to address that first~!"

You're not going to stop her, but she's just wasting her time. It would take a miracle for that to happen.

A cloud-filled morning comes by peacefully. Despite the concerns of Aries Mars, no enemies come in the night to strike you all down or force you to join Dione. It seems that woman truly is sincere in her efforts to recruit you by changing your mind. That said, Aries Mars slept the worst out of all of you, despite not having had any wine. Linza looks in a bad shape as well; this time she's the one who's had too much to drink while Philippos looks healthy.

You and Philippos find that a light breakfast of bread and honey was left behind for you all, though only the two of you and Linza take part. With some of her energy back, Linza speaks up.

"Now that the snake-woman's gone, I have some news. Turns out those two men happened to know something useful~. Rumor has it that another holy woman is being kept in this city."

Aries Mars attempts to go for her sword, but still can't. "Grrr... that has to be Temperance. Was that all they could tell you? They didn't know where she was?"

Linza shakes her head. "Tried asking, but they didn't know."

"They were very insistent that they knew absolutely nothing definite about the matter," added Philippos.

"...it's possible that Dione forced them into silence," you note, "or that they were concerned about her finding out and retaliating. Then again, maybe they're fine with it...?"

"If there's only one other holy woman here, then Libra Venus and Scorpio Mars should still be safe. If we're lucky, they haven't arrived yet, though it's possible that they're hiding out somewhere," considers Theodora. "Scorpio Mars could defend herself, but Libra Venus isn't a fighter. They'll have to stick together to survive."

"..."

You glance over at Aries Mars. Looks like she's thinking about something... "Aries Mars?"

"...sticking together... All of us Mystic Priestesses were spread across the land, but even with that we were supposed to work together when possible. We're supposed to grow together and follow the path side-by-side, in holy communion."

Theodora glances at her. "What are you getting at? You know we can't work together with that traitor anymore..."

"True, but she wasn't alone here. Right now... I need to be with Sagittarius Jupiter. If we work together, we can figure out a way to free our souls from Dione's control. I know it!"

Linza nods. "We can drop you off at her monastery once we leave here. I remember about where it was. Will you want to stay there while the rest of us meet with this Apollonia?"

Aries Mars nods in approval.

"Hm... well, we can make up some excuse. Dione understands piety, so we'll just say that you're busy praying. It'll likely even be true," adds Philippos.

"While I'm there, what will the rest of you be doing?" asks Aries Mars.

You, Theodora, Linza, and Philippos then huddle around to exchange ideas, with Aries Mars chiming in on occasion. In the end, the four of you agree to do the following after dropping off Aries Mars and hitting the baths.

(There's time to do two of these before your meeting.)
[] Linza suggests searching around for hints to as to where important people might be kept hostage.
[] Philippos suggests using their connections with former slaves to find some allies in the city.
[] Theodora suggests heading to the edges of town and figuring out if your allies have come by.
[] Aries Mars, while not present, suggests locating strong demonic presences to know your enemies.
[] You, Zarya, have your own suggestion, perhaps...? (write-in)

[X] You, Zarya, have your own suggestion, perhaps...? (write-in)
-[X] You, in some ways were lucky- your being came here out of curiousity, and is amicable to returning to its own world. Theodora…Likely was not so fortunate, but while Dione has that Serpent…You don't know if anyone else could possess that Demon, instead of being possessed by it.
Which is a problem. If there's one being happy to live up to the moniker of Demon, how many more are out there? And how many will be like Dione, able to control and contain such a being?
You don't know much about Spirits, and you would like a second opinion about your concerns.

…Really wish I had this thought in time to ask Dione about it but…Well.

[X] You, Zarya, have your own suggestion, perhaps...? (write-in)
-[X] You, in some ways were lucky- your being came here out of curiousity, and is amicable to returning to its own world. Theodora…Likely was not so fortunate, but while Dione has that Serpent…You don't know if anyone else could possess that Demon, instead of being possessed by it.
Which is a problem. If there's one being happy to live up to the moniker of Demon, how many more are out there? And how many will be like Dione, able to control and contain such a being?
You don't know much about Spirits, and you would like a second opinion about your concerns.

This is an interesting line of questioning! Write-in approved!

[x] You, Zarya, have your own suggestion, perhaps...? (write-in)
-[x] You, in some ways were lucky- your being came here out of curiousity, and is amicable to returning to its own world. Theodora…Likely was not so fortunate, but while Dione has that Serpent…You don't know if anyone else could possess that Demon, instead of being possessed by it.

But where do we look for the second opinion?

[x] Aries Mars, while not present, suggests locating strong demonic presences to know your enemies.

But where do we look for the second opinion?
…Really wish I had this thought in time to ask Dione about it but…Well.

You are already planning to talk to Apollonia later in the day. There's a couple avenues that could be pursued before that, since she's not really independent from Dione.

Since you're still somewhat attached to the Antiochian Church, you'd likely be using connections there to find either a repository of knowledge (like a library, of which there's at least one) or a knowledgeable person (...which would have been Humility or Kindness, but both are absent :V). Theodora is also willing to offer her opinion, having been in a similar position quite recently. Doing something else will require expanding the write-in.

Back