Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

Despite what many would believe, the universe does not care about what direction time flows, only that it does. The only ironclad rule was that the world line must be respected. Midoriya Izuku thought that his quirk was a party trick at most, and soon fell out of his childhood notion of being a hero. But when he finds that his power is so much more than he'd thought... Perhaps orderly dreams do not always have to decay into disorder.

...Or, Izuku has a huge mindfuck for a quirk.
I. Negentropic Aggregation
Pronouns
He/Him
AN: Crossposting this from SB... Also prepare to get mindfucked harder than Shinsou's victims :evil:
Btw, the main inspiration for this fic is the movie Tenet, so those who watched it should know how screwy some of the mechanics gets

View: https://youtu.be/msBeU7vNiZM

Chapter I: Negentropic Aggregation

Cause did not always come before effect, despite what you may believe. They exist only as an abstract derivation of our observations of the flow of entropy based on our limited, unidirectional, worldview. To an observer looking backward, what we would see as the effect would appear to be the cause, and vice versa. Entropy is only a matter of perspective.

Boom!

Take, for example, the burnt remains of Midoriya Izuku's math notes fluttering across the air. To him and everyone else in the room, the law of entropy in this system was followed: one state of order (the notebook) to many of chaos (the ashes). But, flip the direction in time, it would be just as reasonable to say that the one state of chaos would naturally converge on many states of order, like a notebook, for a tax return, or even a paper plane. To them, the book being blown to pieces would seem odd and impossible, just as the opposite is the same to us…

"Who do you think you are, Deku!?" Bakugou Katsuki growled, "You trying to rub shoulders with me with that shitty quirk of yours!?"

…But with no way to turn around, all of it was pointless conjecture. Izuku was never getting his hard work back.

"K-Kac–Katsuki, I'm just– I'm applying to Gen–"

"Oh spare me the bullshit, Deku, I know what you're really after. Everybody knows you want to try to sneak into my class, into my school," Kacchan sneered as he put a hand on Izuku's shoulder, "Here's some advice: don't bother. You'll only waste their time and be a short footnote in my backstory."

And then he walked off, leaving as the final bell of the day rang. All around, his classmates looked at him, chuckling at his misfortune as they gathered their belongings.

Deku – that was all he was since he was four, ever since he had gotten his useless quirk. A quirk to duplicate objects seemed quite handy on paper; but when those copies only lasted a fraction of a millisecond… Well, what the hell was the point?

Idly, as he got up, Izuku used his quirk on the pencil he was still holding. Over his left hand, a floating reflection flickered a few times…

…Hesitating, unable to decide whether it should exist or not.

In the end, he was forced to stop because of the headaches.

As always, the answer was no.

After taking a moment to rest near one of the school's koi ponds, letting the faint sound of nature and the distant honks of traffic overrun his worldly stresses. Or, at least he tried to – his problems were growing by the day.

Why couldn't Katsuki see it? Izuku gave up on his dreams of being a hero a long, long time ago. So how come his so-called "childhood friend" looked over his damn ego and see Izuku as anything other than a wannabe itching to butt under his precious spotlight?

U.A. wasn't just a hero school damn it! A high school diploma from there would be a shoo-in for any prestigious university around the world, and from there, a key to a good job so his mother wouldn't have to worry about the bills so much!

Izuku didn't want to be a hero anymore. He didn't have the guts or diligence for it, and he sure as hell lost the spirit for it after the relentless bullying, after seeing the true face of the world being trampled over and over again, after seeing those with weak quirk, mutant quirk, and the quirkless leaping off a roof, and the news barely even bothering to report it beyond a one-sentence obituary, if at all.

So why couldn't that blond bastard open his fucking eyes and see it for one in his life!?

Izuku slammed his palm against one of the stones, scaring away the fish. The faint reflection of a mirrored stone continually flickered under his left palm for a number of seconds, before another sudden wave of exhaustion hit from his party trick of a quirk.

He slumped forward and gave a deep sigh, "Should probably go home now before Mom gets worried…" He mumbled under his breath.

Getting up, he worked out the kinks out of his unathletic and rather bony frame and started making the long trek back. Initially, he was about to go through one of the tunnels as he usually did, but for some reason, the thought gave him the heebie-jeebies deep in his gut, so he took the long way back.

It wasn't too bad, despite the extra twenty or so minutes of walking; his path took him through a decently wealthy suburban neighborhood which quickly transitioned to equally upscale urban streets, so there wasn't much for him to worry about. Additionally, with the sun an hour away from setting, the yellow and orange hues pleasantly reflected all around.

As he then neared the busiest and most populated stretch of his trip, he started silently praying that nothing interesting in the Chinese sense would happen, as they are oft to do in a world with so many villains. He'd very much preferred not being in the crossfire of all that trouble, thank you very much; he'd only barely avoided that fight where that tall woman hero what's-her-name made her debut by taking an alternate route to school.

Pop. Pop. Pop.

A cold tingle went down his spine as the sound he dreaded to hear started drumming against his ears.

Pop… Pop. Pop. Boom!

And, as he turned the corner, he found that luck was not on his side. A scene straight out of a news report was unfolding right in front of him.

Pop. Boom! Pop. Pop. Boom!

Blindingly bright and deafeningly loud bangs blew away from a large, stinking mass of sludge, but did little to make an actual effect. In the middle, trapped under a disembodied, enraged visage, the titan of his life thrashed helplessly. Almost as helpless as the heroes all around engaging in the Sisyphean task of reducing the fires from the explosions. Kacchan, who was always so strong, so proud, was trapped like a wounded animal.

For a brief second, their eyes met, pleading… But Izuku didn't have the nerve. His legs refused to move out of terror…

"Hrrrrghghghphhh!" Pop. Boom! Boom!

"Give up already!" Shouted the slime monster, "Just let me take over, you stubborn brat!"

He really was a Deku…

If this lack of action, this lack of fortitude and spirit didn't prove he would never be a good hero, Izuku didn't know what did.

"...Am HERE!"

Whoosh! Boom!

In a sonic boom, All Might arrived on scene, blowing the putrid villain apart with but a flick of a finger. Instantly, a wave of soothing calm washed over the scene, even the heroes sagging their shoulders in relief.

Izuku watched, frozen in awe as the hero collected the villain into a couple of empty two-liter bottles. The press, once they got their wits about them, tried to get a word and a good shot in, but All Might just gave his trademark smile and, "Apologies, but I gotta go! As they say, crime never sleeps!" and leaped away toward the horizon.

Who was his younger self kidding? Being a hero like All Might? Bah! He and Izuku were worlds apart! Izuku could barely handle the rigor of Japan's education system, while All Might saved thousands every day. Perhaps it was for the best that such responsibilities were left in more capable hands, like Katsuki's…

Wait, Katsuki! Was he okay!?

Izuku looked again and saw a paramedic helping his former friend to the nearest ambulance. The look in his crimson eyes: fear, anger, humiliation… Izuku didn't dare confront him in such a state.

Perhaps call Auntie about it later– No, Katsuki would find out if he did that…

…God, he was a coward.

Taking a shuddering breath, trying to hold back tears of shame (damn them for coming so easily), Izuku turned back and started walking home. Sooner better than later. Those lost math notes weren't going to rewrite themselves for the fiftieth time.

Ahead, a stray fire crackled on the sidewalk, coughing ash up in the air. Izuku gave it a wide berth for his own safety, but as he was about to walk past, something caught his eye: some of the ash was being sucked into the flame, assembling into something near its center.

"Huh?..."

That something started floating up towards the fire's top, where it began to… unburn itself into paper of some kind?

"Eh!?"

Was somebody using a quirk somewhere? Izuku glanced around and found nobody in the immediate vicinity, just the peanut gallery from before leaving the scene.

He looked back, finding that the ash had finally congregated into a rough-looking envelope, which tumbled in the air opposite to the prevailing gusts of wind. Eventually, the envelope landed right at Izuku's feet, and he was stuck gaping at it in befuddlement.

A few seconds passed… nervous curiosity finally overtook him.

He bent down to pick it up, but halfway there, it flew up into his hand, giving a brief spook.

Wait, no. It didn't fly up, per se… It looked like it was falling, but the video was played in reverse. As he handled the envelope, the sounds coming from it were odd too – distorted and playing a split second before the actual movement happened.

"What the actual…" He muttered.

The envelope was already opened too, and seemed to have been for a long, long time. He reached into it and pulled out the creased paper inside.

In ink, up top: FOR ME

The handwriting was familiar, for some strange reason; he couldn't place why though. It was as if a classmate wrote with his left hand – rough and nearby, yet not recognizable at first glance. He scanned it carefully.

Hello Izuku,

The words damn near gave him a heart attack, but he couldn't help but keep reading.

This is going to sound strange, but your quirk is so much more than you think it is…

II: Quantum Entanglement

Chapter II: Quantum Entanglement

Well… Here he was, where the letter told him to go.

Dagobah Beach. Dirty, full of garbage and shit, and it smelled like it too.

Supposedly, this was the place Izuku was to learn more about his quirk, but he honestly couldn't see how this dump would help. Would it have killed the stalker who wrote the damn magic letter to be a little less vague?

Maybe this whole thing was just one huge prank – one big, overly convoluted way to tell he and his quirk were absolute dogwater.

Ha. Ha. Ha!

Hilarious.

This prankster, whoever he/she was, was probably getting a hearty laugh over this, so at least somebody derived some joy out of this farce. Hell, even thinking about it, Izuku started getting a bit of a chuckle about it too – playing on his curiosity and gullibility like this was a lot more classy than just beating the shit out of him and calling him Deku for the thousandth time. A capricious work of art with some actual honest-to-no-god effort, instead of Katsuki's neanderthal-esque posturing to the very same people he called "extras".

Shit, whoever did this, Izuku would love to shake their hand and tell them, "Good Job" – might as well get some practice with workplace manners for when he inevitably gave up on his remaining dreams in this soulless world of corporate drones.

Eh… It was getting late… Should probably head home before Mom gets worried–

–Wait… Who the hell was that over there?

Near the stairs leading down to the beach, an extremely tall and skinny old man – Izuku pegged him as around late forties, early fifties – was picking up garbage with one of those grabber tools you see old people and people doing community service carrying and putting it in a nearby bin. A block down, there was a big, American-style pick-up truck with a couple of full bins already tied in the bed.

Izuku, despite his inner voice telling him to get stepping, stuck around and watched the old man as he went about his nigh impossible task with a sense of serenity.

Then, against his common sense too, he walked up and greeted the stranger.

"So, uh… What'cha up to?"

Fantastic opener, Izuku. Truly, you are a black-belt master of social-fu. Mom must be proud.

The old man paused what he was doing, turned to Izuku with a friendly smile on his gaunt face, "Oh, nothing much, Young Man… Just doing my part for the community," He then pulled out a handkerchief from his pocket and coughed wetly into it, before quickly stuffing it back. There was a slight red stain on it, much to Izuku's concern.

"Uh, sir… the–"

"Don't worry, it's an old injury that sometimes flares up after a long day," The old man dismissed Izuku's worries, "Was caught up in a big villain fight a few years ago, and you know what they say – 'Life comes at you fast,'"

Izuku bowed down, "Sorr–"

"No, no – don't apologize. It was mostly my fault for not being careful…" The old man shook his head, going back to picking up litter, "You know, believe it or not, this used to be one of the most beautiful beaches in the whole prefecture."

"Really? It…" Izuku scrunched his nose as a breeze sent the smell of hot garbage his way, "That sounds kinda hard to believe…"

"Oh, believe me, it was," The old man reminisced, "Back when I was a kid, it was pristine white sand and crystal clear blue ocean. But then, a while back… well, I'm sure you know how Musutafu is sometimes."

"Yeah," Izuku nodded, knowing full well how the city managed its budget. One only needed to look at the state of Aldera Junior High to know where the city council's true priorities were.

It was like a twisted version of that American quote: "Billions for corporate subsidies, but not one yen for the public benefit."

Izuku checked the time on his phone; he still had a few hours to burn… and he was starting to feel bad for letting this sick old man work himself to the bone over some dumb beach, "I… can help with the heavier stuff if you want."

The old man smiled again, obviously thankful for the offer, "Oh, you don't have to, I got it handled here,"

"Actually," Izuku scratched the back of his head, "I could use a bit of exercise since I'm trying to go to a hero school,"

The old man perked up, "Hmm?"

"Well, not hero hero," Izuku quickly corrected, "Just, uh… I am only applying for the general education track, and, well… I don't want to completely embarrass myself during PE class, y'know?"

"Ah… to be young again," The old man muttered in nostalgia. Wait, did he think that Izuku was trying to impress a girl? "I can help with that if you want – getting in shape."

"Wait, really!? How?"

"That's actually part of my job at the agency I work at. I have to write up a diet and exercise plan once every few weeks and make sure they follow it. Did you think All Might cut his figure by laying around eating TV dinners?"

Izuku was taken aback by the nuclear bomb that the man decided to drop casually. He took a second look at the man and noticed a lanyard hanging around under the tie, around Izuku's eye level. It was a pass; One for…

"Holy shit! You work for All Might!?"

The old man kept his lips sealed, only giving a wink.

"Holy shit…" Izuku forced himself to calm down from his mini-existential crisis, slapping himself, "Just, wow! What are the chances?"

"I trust you can keep this on the… 'down low' as you kids say?"

"Of course! Of course!" Izuku squeaked as a voice crack cut in, "He's like my favorite hero – So it's kinda crazy I met someone who personally knows him, like literally an hour after he saved my classmate– Oh, right, please give him my thanks for saving Bakugou!"

"I'll be sure to pass that along to him," The old man reached down and picked up a piece of garbage too big for the reacher, "I can write up a quick one-year plan for you over the weekend if you really want to get in shape – though, I'm warning you, it's gonna involve this beach and it will not be easy."

To get a workout plan from the guy who trains All Might of all people? What kind of idiot would pass that chance up!?

Izuku took a deep breath and gave the old man a determined look, "I'll do it!"

Besides, even if he wasn't going to be a hero, that didn't exactly stop him from doing something good for the community.

"Great!" The old man's surprisingly pristine smile positively glowed in the sunset, "Meet me here at 5:30 in the morning on Monday-" That early!? "-and we can get started… uh… Oh dear! How rude of me! We've been talking this whole time and I haven't even asked for your name."

"I'm Midoriya Izuku," Izuku bowed deeply, "Please take care of me!"

"Well, Young Midoriya. It has been an honor meeting you – feel free to call me Yagi."

"I won't disappoint, Yagi-sensei!"

A few weeks later…

A very small sliver of beach could actually be seen unimpeded, and by the concrete retaining wall, there was a large dumpster that was rented by Yagi. Izuku laid down on the now nearly clean and warm sand, every single muscle in his body burning in regret.

The comforting sound of the waves, the gentle sea breeze – if it weren't for the garbage, it would have been the perfect spot for a nap…

…Actually, a quick snooze couldn't hur–

"Get up, Young Midoriya," But alas, a rail-thin shadow was looming over him, blocking the sunset, "You still have to eat," A sealed tupperware was dropped right on top of Izuku's stomach, banishing away any hopes for rest.

With a groan, Izuku pulled himself up from the sand. Yagi pulled some wipes from his pocket and gave them to him to clean his hands. With a half-hearted "Itadakimasu", he opened the container and shoveled the food down his gullet faster than he could taste it.

Beef, beans, and rice, as usual – to round out the protein and carbohydrate requirement for the day.

The extreme heavy lifting and constant running were one thing, but the hardest part about the whole training plan for Izuku was actually eating enough. As a skinny teenager, and a Japanese one at that, he would have normally had around 1800 calories in his daily intake. But, under Yagi's insane Aim to Get Fit! American Dream Plan™, he had to triple that to gain mass at a sufficient rate, and that meant that he'd have to shovel down 6 or even 7 full meals a day.

Suffice to say, it was a lot harder than one would think. Yet, so far, the plan seemed to actually work: even after a scant few weeks of training, his arms and legs were already showing to be less twiggy, and he had grown at least a centimeter.

In thirty seconds flat, the tupperware container was completely empty other than a few stray rice grains. Izuku handed it back over to Yagi with the chopsticks, who proceeded to give him a satisfied smile.

Surprisingly quickly, the two of them have forged a strong bond. Despite Yagi's tendencies toward being a slave driver, he was a damn good mentor and trainer, who had this magic ability to make Izuku push himself beyond what he thought was possible. And over the conversations they had in the breaks between, he proved to be quite transparent about himself too, causally revealing his quirkless status one day on week two (in between the truckloads of exclusive All Might trivia).

Even his mother had taken a liking to the man, having him over for dinner a couple of times. Though, of course, she kept silently insisting that the man should eat more, despite the lack of stomach.

Without even realizing it, Izuku's body went back to training autopilot, walking towards a nearby truck tire. He was broken from his trance by Yagi pulling on his sand-covered shirt.

"Young Midoriya, you're done for the day."

"But–" Izuku tried to protest.

"You're done, and you will not train this weekend either," Yagi stated in no uncertain terms, "I see your muscles cramping, and I have seen how hard you push yourself. You need the rest. Trust me, you do not want to get rhabdo."

"…Yes sir," Izuku muttered, slumping his shoulders.

"Come on, cheer up – aren't boys your age normally excited to have a whole weekend to rest and play video games?"

Apparently, not Izuku, at least. He wasn't much of a gamer, preferring more to lurk on old forums in the dead of night or watch one of the billions of hero movies out there.

Yagi glanced at his watch, "Well, I gotta get going. All Might needs to have some late-night paperwork done, and it's probably gonna keep me busy until morning."

"Alright, G'Night Yagi-sensei!"

"Good night, Young Midoriya," Yagi started to walk away. But after a few steps, he paused, turning around and pointing a bony finger towards Izuku, "Remember, no training. If I see you here before Monday morning, I'll call All Might to personally drag you back to bed."

"Really!? You promise!?"

"Nuh-uh! Keep talking like that, Young Man, and I'll call Endeavor instead," Yagi gave the stink eye, which was quite creepy and intimidating under the shadow of his bony brow.

"Alright, alright!" Izuku raised his hands in surrender, "I'll see you then, and not one minute sooner!"

"You better. See you Monday, Young Midoriya" Yagi gave a bit of a chuckle, which broke into a familiar fit of coughing as he disappeared around a pile of abandoned appliances.

Izuku looked back toward the horizon. The sky was firmly orange now, as the sun started to dip under the distant waves; the sea grew darker and darker by the minute. He took a deep breath as the salty ocean breeze brushed by his body…

Tap. Tap.

And promptly choked on it. He whipped his head around and was met with green eyes and green curly hair. In an instant, his body was sent into fight or flight mode, and with him actively trying to squash the latter, he clenched his fists, ready to strike.

"W-Who are you!?" Izuku stepped forward. His voice cracked, taking away some of the intimidation factor along with the stutter.

His doppelganger, way too calm for the situation, raised his hands and backed up a couple of steps, "Whoa, whoa! Calm down. Hear me out before you decide to knock my teeth out…" He spoke in Izuku's own voice.

A copying quirk of some sort?...

Izuku paused, taking in his eerie mirror image. Was this the guy who pranked him with that letter? What in hell did he even want?... If he even was a he…

"…Now, what I'm gonna tell you is going to sound strange, but please listen to what I have to say. I promise you won't regret it!"

Against his better judgment, Izuku was all ears.

III: Disclosed System
AN: Past this point, shit gets really weird...

View: https://youtu.be/GMfjA4gyEcU

Chapter III: Disclosed System

The sun was now dipping down into the ocean, and the vibrant hues of twilight were now spreading across the heavens. From his spot in the sand, he could also see a full moon rising over the retaining wall. Izuku impatiently stared at his carbon copy.

"You still haven't answered my question. Who are you?"

"You." His copy answered, entirely confident in its truthfulness, "Just… a little further down the line."

Hmm… Time travel? Did he seriously expect Izuku to believe he was from the future?...

"I don't believe you," Izuku stated flatly.

As a quirk and hero otaku, he knew of many abilities that stretched the laws of physics to their very limit, but never in the history of humankind was there one that just outright ignored it and broke causality.

"Of course you don't. I knew that already." His other self shrugged. Oh boy, here we go with the word games… "Our favorite color is not actually green, it's blue, specifically the kind of blue that All Might's suit is – we never told anyone since we didn't want to out ourselves as chuuni otakus on top of being weaklings."

"That's peanuts. Kacchan knows that. Try again."

"Alright." His other self tsked, "When we were little, before we got our quirk, we used to make our mother put on that All Might video a hundred times before we went to bed. You know, the train rescue one? It probably got on mom's nerves hearing that–"

"Still not convinced," Izuku rolled his eyes, "You could've figured it out by looking at my Mom's old social media posts in one of the dozens of internet archives from before she deleted her accounts."

"Really trying to play hardball, aren't you, me." His other self shook his head, "Alright, you made me do this. Hidden behind last year's algebra book, where mom can't find it, there is a hard drive where we keep a bunch of digitized doujins of Mirko taking it up–"

"Okay! Okay! You win! You're me!" Izuku screeched, red as a tomato.

As a growing teenage boy, his… er… preferences were one of those things that no amount of torture would force him to divulge. If he could help it – he would take that secret to the grave and arrange in his will for that damn hard drive to be cremated with him.

"See, I knew you'd come around! Now, we can get to the actual lesson here." Future Izuku smiled, a piece of gum showing under the canines. Izuku only just now realized that his mirror image was chewing gum the entire time, "Please bear with me if I start rambling – I'm just passing this along straight from memory."

Izuku made a silent gesture, asking himself to get on with it.

"To put it simply, the big gimmick that our quirk slots into is symmetry. I'm sure that you noticed that when you try using your quirk, the flickering copy you made looked flipped over? That's because you're actually mirroring it, not copying it; you are reflecting that object across an invisible plane drawn between your hands." Future Izuku explained, "But, here's the kicker! You're not just reflecting it across space – no, that would have been too easy, too sane – you're reflecting it across space and time."

"Hold up, What!?" Izuku exclaimed.

"I'm not kidding. Remember the letter? How it acted all weird and did the opposite of what you expected it to do? That's because its arrow of time has been flipped sometime in the future, and well… I have a sneaking suspicion on who wrote it."

"Us?" Izuku hesitantly guessed. His brain was melting trying to process this new information.

"Yeah, but I don't know quite when yet – It's still in my future, relatively speaking." Future Izuku half talked to himself, and half talked to… himself.

Izuku pinched the bridge of his note, "Okay, you're giving me one hell of a headache right now…"

"Tell me about it…" His future self muttered bitterly, "Alright, let's try a different approach."

Future Izuku then proceeded to crouch down on the sand and draw a large L shape with arrows at each end… Wait, no, he had seen this in algebra class before – it was a coordinate plane of some kind.

"I tried to dumb this down as much as possible. But, I'm not God, and I can't understand it for you. This little graph I've drawn here is a simplified model of our universe: one dimension for space," He drew an 'S' right next to the vertical axis, "and one dimension for time" and a 'T' at the end of the horizontal.

"Now, let's place an object in this universe – could be anything, a pencil, a bookbag, hell, even a pack of gum," He put a finger in the sand and started drawing a squiggly line at a steady rate, "Whatever it is, our object here is doing normal object things, traveling through its one axis of freedom as time passes by. This path that this object traces through spacetime is what we would call a 'world line'" He stopped drawing when he reached near the end of the graph.

"I see…" Izuku scratched his hairless chin.

"Let's introduce our quirk into the equation." Future Izuku then drew a vertical at the world line's end and from that line, another line emerged, this one squiggling in the opposite direction in the time axis.

"It's going backwards?"

"Yes," His future self finished drawing once more, "In essence, what our quirk is is a mirror; not one that reflects light, but one that reflects world lines. You get the gist yet?"

"I… think so?" Izuku said without much confidence.

"Good enough…" His future self looked toward the sun, which had now fully dipped below the horizon, "Oh, looks like it's about time for a practical demonstration. Observe." He put both his hands in front, palms up.

In the blink of an eye, two packs of gum, the same kind that was in Izuku's left pocket right now, appeared in his future self's hands. One of them was reflected, having mirrored writing printed all over it, matching its normal counterpart.

"How did you do that?" Izuku asked, leaning in to get a better look.

"In theory, it's pretty simple." Future Izuku waved around the inverted pack, "One of us flipped this pack of gum's world line sometime in the future. All I did when I used my quirk was flip it back forward." He pointed back toward the normal pack of gum.

"Okay, one of us… But who?"

"Sorry, but that would be spoiling the lesson," His future self winked, "Now, lay your hands out like I did and try using your quirk. You should get a slight tingling when it's the right time…"

Izuku followed his future self's instructions and presented forth his hands. Impatiently, he tried to use his quirk, but nothing happened…

"It has to have already happened… or is going to happen… or will have happened–" His future self facepalmed, "God, human languages are not equipped for this bullshit quirk. Just… Try again in five seconds or so."

Okay then…

Izuku counted down in his head. Five… Four… Three… Two…

Once he reached two, he started feeling a slight sensation on his palms, a static feeling not unlike touching a doorknob after rubbing one's socks on the floor. It made his hands twitch, and almost uncontrollably, he used his quirk; two packs of gum appeared out of thin air, just like they did for his future self.

"Whoa…" Izuku set them down on top of the sand.

Wait, didn't his future self say that these weird reversed objects were actually going backwards in time?... Didn't that mean their physics were applied in reverse as well? Izuku pondered.

To test his hypothesis, he pulled out his phone and opened up the camera, pressing record. Then, he hovered his hand over the reflected pack of gum, making a grabbing motion. Suddenly, halfway before his hand was fully closed, the pack of gum flew upwards toward his hand. He stopped recording.

He placed the pack of gum back down again as he looked over the footage. Afterwards, he played it again, but in reverse. It wasn't flying up toward his hand, it was falling from it.

A lightbulb exploded over Izuku's cranium – the revelation causing enlightenment and confused headaches in equal measure.

And all the while, his future self was giving an insufferably smug smile, "Now you're getting it!"

Why couldn't he have gotten something like firebreathing instead? It would have been a lot less trouble.

Then, out of the corner of his eye, Izuku caught something. Behind one of the many piles of rubble and rubbish, another figure emerged, walking backwards. Green curly hair, same dirty shirt… Now where did this one fit into the timeline?

"I'm assuming that's you coming over here," Izuku asked.

"As far as the world lines are concerned, and in his local perspective, he is in between you and me." His future self answered blithely, "How else did you think I got here? I didn't just pop into existence from a time machine like straight out of a bad sci-fi movie."

"Well, you don't have to be so smug about it." Izuku rolled his eyes.

"Trust me, you'll enjoy it when the time comes." Future Izuku smirked.

The backwards-walking Izuku had stopped near where they were sitting.

"…won edih og attog I ekil skool ,hA"

He spoke in a strange, impossible-to-describe tongue, utterly incomprehensible to Izuku, and then took his seat nearby. His future self made a shooing motion towards him before turning back to Izuku.

"Now, as that one pre-quirk era hero manga I can't remember the name of says, 'With great power comes great responsibility.'" Future Izuku started to lecture, "With our quirk, that means our responsibility is to preserve the worldlines of everything we interact with and make sure that they don't cause any unintended consequences to those in the past or future. Remember, just because something happened or will happen is not an excuse not to act. So, here's my task to you: try to figure out and resolve the worldline of this pack of gum." He laid out his pack of gum and its inverted duplicate right in front of Izuku's own.

Izuku stared at the four objects, trying to figure out where to begin. But, as his future self blew a bubble, an idea came to him. He opened up the normal pack of gum which he inverted and took a piece from it; chewing on it, a strong mint taste flooded his mouth, providing something to distract his mouth from his typical muttering.

He opened up the inverted copies of the pack, and it was still full, but the other one, which was given to him, had that exact same piece of gum missing; and so did its forward-going duplicate as well. He knew right then and there which one to reflect, and so he did, picking up the second inverted pack and the first forward pack and using his quirk, both of them disappearing under his grasp, leaving behind a tingling sensation.

"I knew you could do it!" Future Izuku congratulated, "However, you're not done yet – there is still one more thing to do…" He gestured toward Izuku's inverted duplicate.

Izuku glanced down and noticed that his backwards-going copy's right pocket was empty, while Izuku's left wasn't… That was where he was keeping his pack of gum. His inverted self started to reach out, and Izuku undropped the remaining inverted pack of gum and placed it in the former's hand, who proceeded to unpull it from his pocket.

",uoy rof taht teg emmeL"

Then, Inverted Izuku suddenly jolted, as if remembering something.

"I know that look on your face, you damn quirk otaku." Izuku's eye twitched, "You still have a couple more questions to pry from me…"

Izuku stared at his other for a split second at the blatant hypocrisy, before his irritation surrendered to curiosity, "But… What about cause and effect? Is that all broken because of my quirk?"

"Nah, the universe doesn't care which order cause and effect goes in, only that they both happen." His future self dismissed his concerns, "Think of it like a magnetic field: north cannot exist without south, effect cannot exist without cause. Do you think the earth gives a damn if the compass is flipped over?"

"…lleh sa ykaerf si sihT …nmaD"

Inverted Izuku started moving around, ending up in a position that eerily matched Izuku's own but mirrored; he was playing around with the sand. A faint tingle started growing in Izuku's hands.

"Oh… looks like it's almost your time," Future Izuku commented, "I think we have time for one more question."

"How did you know all this information?" Izuku asked quickly as the tingle grew more intense. He realized there was a paradox if this inverted Izuku would eventually become his future self, "Where did it come from?"

A classic bootstrap paradox.

"Because we just had this conversation." His future self gave a serene smile, "No more, no less…"

"…aohW"

Again, his future self reached out, this time toward Izuku's left hand. Izuku took it; it was cold to the touch.

And when the tingling static grew too much, Izuku let loose and used his quirk once more.

Izuku let go of his own hand, still cold to the touch. He glanced around – everything on the beach was flipped over… The writing on the tin can was printed in reverse, the last dregs of twilight rising in the… West?

The waves of the water were pulling away from the beach, a couple of seagulls gliding tail-first in strange patterns, and the gentle pull on his skin from the salty sea breeze… It was a mesmerizing sight. He could not help but say…

"Whoa…"

"…ssel on ,erom oN"

One of his selves started speaking- Oh right, he just had that conversation,

".noitasrevnoc siht dah ew esuaceB"

"?morf emoc ti did–"

Izuku tuned out the nonsensical backwards speech.

He shifted around, moving to a more comfortable position. But as he did, he saw that the sand was acting funny, almost as if it were anticipating his movements. He cupped his hand in the air, watching as the sand spurted out to pile onto it – little grains were slipping up between his fingers.

"Damn… This is freaky as hell…"

As his other two selves babbled along, Izuku took in the beautiful strangeness of the world around him. He continued playing with the sand, which had a strange precognitive mind of its own, and he also looked back toward the rising twilight, as the hues grew warmer and warmer…

".ukato kriuq nmad uoy ,ecaf ruoy ni kool taht wonk I"

Oh, right! The pack of gum!

"Lemme get that for you," Izuku muttered as he hurriedly pulled it out of his pocket and handed it over to his past self.

Another few minutes passed as the lesson was repeated in reverse; Izuku sat patiently as he awaited his cue. That cue would come in the form of his other making a 'shoo' motion – but, in reverse, it looked more like a 'come here'.

"Ah, looks like I gotta go hide now…"

He pushed himself up to his feet and started wandering over to the nearest pile of rubble, choosing a quieter spot to seclude himself. He didn't bother checking his phone for the time; he knew it would probably be screwed up and temporarily unusable from being inverted with him.

Thus, he just played with whatever was in reach – mostly just undropping various bits and bobs and unpouring the rainwater from a plastic cup that was left there.

Before he knew it, he was already face to face with himself…

",haeY"

"Already?" He'd thought it'd take longer before he would be the one giving the lesson.

Eh, oh well… Hopefully, he'll remember what the hell his future self was talking about – he was gonna need it in a minute or so.

His future walked backwards into position over on Izuku's left – that tingling sensation returned, just as intense as before. Not fighting it, he used his quirk, and in an instant, the world was back to normal. He looked back at his inverted self.

"?ydaerlA"

"Yeah," He sighed.

Walking out of the rubble, he took a deep breath to calm his nerves. In the clearing, he saw himself talking in the ocean view.

Izuku slowly walked up behind and…

Tap. Tap.

IV. Wave-Function Collapse

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-Xt5DAwlfg

Chapter IV: Wave-Function Collapse

"Out of my fuckin' way, Deku!" A bulldozer came from behind and pushed Izuku to the side, nearly making him fall over, "Not like you're getting in anyway…"

Fucking Asshole!

Izuku gritted his teeth and held back from cuffing the prick in the back of his spiky blond head. Even with his newly gained muscle mass and with them being nearly the same height now, he knew damn well he wouldn't win a fight against Katsuki, not without a gun.

Damn that bastard! How could he have ever called Katsuki his friend!? Idiot!

Taking a deep breath, Izuku calmed the indignant fury in his heart just enough to let the creeping anxiety over the coming exam flow back in.

Reaching into his pocket, he pulled out a match. He used his thumbnail to light the phosphorus; ash came out of the ether and assembled itself into a post-it note.

No Spoilers…

And a rough drawing of a cartoon mouse creature doing a shushing motion. On the back…

P.S. Please update your quirk registration post-haste. And I also look forward to seeing you at UA for the next three years… If you pass the Entrance Exam fair and square that is…

Am I a Mouse, a Bear, or a Badger,

Nedzu

Figures…

Izuku stuffed the inverted note into his pocket.

Let's get this over with…

That… wasn't as bad as he was expecting.

Sure, some of the questions – especially the open-ended ones – were brutal at times, but almost all the material was your standard middle school and early high school fare, with the occasional university-level question sprinkled in to make sure you were paying attention.

Izuku suspected it probably had something to do with his obsessive studying after every workout. His mind had always been on the more active side, ever since he'd been little. It was how he maintained his stellar grades, despite all the teacher not giving him a single quectometer. Really, it was something he had to do if he wanted to go to sleep at a reasonable hour, otherwise he would be up all night thinking about stupid hypotheticals; his body may have been exhausted from Yagi-sensei's training, but his brain could only be quelled by a barrage of boring lecture notes.

"Ah-hem…"

He heard a grunt – he turned around to find a… homeless man? Just… standing around in front of a classroom…

Izuku pointed at himself with a "Me?" motion – the man's baggy, bloodshot eyes replied, "Yes, you.", as he pulled out a post-it note from his pocket.

Oh, right!

"The principal wanted to give this to you." The man explained, voice slightly scratchy.

Izuku accepted the note, "I understand. Thank you…"

The man only grunted in reply, as seemingly out of thin air, he pulled out a large yellow sleeping bag and crawled in. Lying down on the ground, he went to sleep within seconds on the floor, looking like a puffy cocoon.

Okay then…

Throwing that encounter into the dustbin of his memory, Izuku continued walking down the hall toward one of the exits. Without even reading the note, he pulled the inverted one still in his pocket and let his quirk do its magic. Now, no evidence of its existence remained moving forward – it was between him and Nedzu, as the animal wanted.

Well, Gee, wonder who that obscenely American pickup truck could possibly belong to. Wasn't like there was a certain person he knew who was more of a westaboo than All Might himself…

Izuku made a beeline for it, long before even seeing the lanky blond man giving him a goofy grin. He climbed up into the oversized passenger seat, letting the frigid air-conditioning was over the near-spring heat.

"So, how do you think you did?" Yagi opened.

"Alright… I guess…"

"You guess?"

"Well, you know, It's UA, after all – the top school in the entire country. Nothing is really guaranteed–"

"Come on, Young Midoriya, I've seen you study – I don't think I've tried a quarter as hard as you have in my entire academic life," Yagi dismissed Izuku's worries, "They'd be complete morons to reject a brilliant young man like yourself!"

"Still… I…" Izuku started, before throwing away the rest of the sentence.

"Still, what?" Yagi pulled away from the curb and started driving, "You can have all the 'still's, 'if only's and 'what if's you want, but all that's accomplishing is making you forget the 'why'. Why do you work so hard? What are you working towards?"

Izuku thought about it for a moment, and said the first thing that came to mind, "…To be able to have a comfortable life, and to make enough to take care of Mom when she gets older."

"Do you think a pile of papers saying 'You're not going to UA' is gonna stop you from getting to that?"

"No! Of course not!"

"Right! UA's just one school out of ten thousand. Worse comes to worst, you try again for a different school," Yagi leaned back, wiping a bit of blood from his lip, "No use stressing about it now. You'll cross that bridge when you come to it, just like all the others."

"I guess you're right," Izuku sighed. UA was his first choice, but it wasn't like he didn't have backup options. He was taking a couple other entrance exams later in the week, and with all the studying he'd been doing the past year, it wasn't like he could fail all of them outside of an act from the Devil himself.

"Of course I am – I learned all this the hard way." Subconsciously, the man's bony hand covered that old injury again.

There were a few data niggling around in the back of Izuku's head, sticking out like badly hammered nails. Like how All Might had been slowly making less and less appearances in public for the past five years. Or how he'd never caught a recent glimpse of hero, even on social media, when Yagi was mentoring him… Or, really, how Yagi kinda looked like a funhouse mirror of his own boss.

Izuku wasn't sure how this all connected together, but having known him for almost a year now…

"There's a good Korean BBQ joint down in Suruga, something I know you'd like." Yagi gave a wide smile, that seemed almost familiar, "My treat!"

…he knew for certain that his mentor was hiding something.

What, exactly? He hadn't the slightest clue.

"Back up… Back up! Back up! BACK U–" Izuku nearly crunched his controller into shards of plastic when the death screen appeared. He spectated the idiot responsible for his death being headshotted seconds later, "What the fuck were you thinking Handm4n!? I told you not to–"

"Oh, shut the fuck up, D3Ku! If you didn't choose that bum-ass, noob-ass loadout, we would've been fucking fine! But nooooo!" The speakers screamed into his ears.

"Shove it up your crusty ass, you fucking try-hard! The rest of us are trying to have fun!"

"Try-hard!? It called being a fucking professional, scrub! Git gud!"

"Izuku!..." He heard from outside – he ripped off his headset.

"Yes, Ma!?"

"It's here! Your results are here!"

Oh, right…

Izuku brought the mic close as he started to leave the game, "Alright, man, I gotta dip"

"See you around, have a good one" The scratchy voice on the other side replied, as if the whole gamer-rage argument never happened.

"You too, man – See ya!" He powered off the console, rushing off to the living room the very second his TV became black.

On the coffee table, there was a simple manila envelope with the UA logo lightly emblazoned on laying there, separated from the typical bills and junk mail. Over at the kitchen, his mother looked at him expectantly as he turned on the stove and filled the teapot.

Izuku started at it for a moment, as if it was going to suddenly open itself by some magical force. Then, like an old bandaid, he took a deep breath and pulled it open.

Riiiiiip!

A few pieces of laminated paper fell out, nothing else. Guess the rumors about the fancy holographic disks were bullshit… or they were for the hero course students only.

Izuku took the first piece and read it aloud, "Dear Midoriya Izuku, we would like to extend our congratulations. You have… Holy shit, I made it in–" Was all that he could get out before he was tackle-hugged by his sobbing mother.

"IZUKUUUUU!"

"M-mom!" Izuku squawked.

"You did it! My baby is in UA!" She cried, tears staining her blouse and Izuku's t-shirt t-shirt.

It took her a good minute to stem the flood of tears; Izuku took the time to read the rest of the letter. On one of the other papers, there was a list of the top ten highest scorers on the written exam:

10. Todoroki Shouto – [185/200]

9. Uino Jingorou – [186/200]

8. Shinsou Hitoshi – [189/200]

7. Bakugou Katsuki – [191/200]

Heh… Must be pissed about that one, huh, Kacchan?

Izuku skipped to the end.

2. Yaoyorozu Momo – [196/200]

1. Midoriya Izuku – [198/200]

…What the fuck!? No way! No way in Hell!

"Oh, I gotta tell Mitsuki!" His mother released her vice grip over his body. She ran off to the kitchen to dial her long time friend on the house phone.

Izuku did a double take over the list, only to realize that no, he wasn't going crazy. Out of the entire damn country, the hundreds of thousands who dared to apply, he, of all people, got number 1 on the exam.

Just… Holy shit!... Probably best not to tell mom about this, lest the neighbors downstairs start complaining about flooding.

Izuku speed-read the rest of the papers – they were the typical "getting started" guides for the start of the school year: where to buy uniforms, the first day of school, what time classes start, the schedule for the first trimester, et cetera, et cetera.

Going back to the original letter, he found a tiny, almost microscopic strip of fine print near the bottom.

P.S. Congratulations on making it in! And good job at updating your quirk entry to be vague enough to avoid the attention of the powers that be. I look forward to seeing what you can do… –Nedzu

He suppressed a cold shudder that went up his spine.

Wait, if the principal wanted him in UA that badly, did that mean he tipped the scales… Hold on…

There was an even tinier strip of text below the postscriptum:

P.P.S. That test score is entirely legitimate and all yours. I wouldn't lower myself to interfere so blatantly, especially in matters of academics. You ought to give yourself more credit! – A winking face with mouse ears.

…What the hell was he walking into.

In the middle of the night, that familiar itch in his hands jolted Izuku awake. Some part of his subconscious reminded him of the letter which he had long stuffed behind the bookshelf.

Was it time already?

Groaning, Izuku forced himself up quickly, ignoring the rushing blood in his skull. From where he kept his office supplies, under his computer, he retrieved an envelope and an empty piece of printer paper.

!hsoooooW

He raised his hand, catching the inverted envelope as it flew out over the bookshelf. Unlike when he first found in the fire months ago, it was in pristine condition, not a mark or speck of dust on it…

Shit, It really was that time now. Here's hoping he wasn't too terrible at writing backwards. He pulled out a pen and started inking down the letter, knowing the words by heart.

Hello Izuku,

This is going to sound strange, but your quirk is so much more than you think it is.

No, this is not a prank.

I'm not sure that I can put it to words what its true nature is on paper in a way that you can understand right now, but this letter you hold in your hands is a product of it (sorta). If you really want to know what it does, I suggest you pay a visit to Dagobah Beach. You will find someone who knows all about it there. All that I can tell you is that it has temporal implications.

I'm not really sure what's a good way to end this letter, but whatever happens, happens, and you'll be fine in the end.

Trust me, I'm from the future,

You

P.S. Try not to think about the implications on free will. I still can't wrap my head around it as of the time of writing this letter.

With a nervous sigh, he folded the letter and stuffed it in the envelope, not even bothering to seal it.

"Whatever happens will happen." The mantra was a cold comfort to him, now that he was truly ignorant of what the future held. On the envelope itself, he wrote: FOR ME

In his hands, he held both, letting his quirk do the work. Both disappeared in his hands, any evidence of its existence now stuck in the past, to ignite the sequence of event which led him here in the first.

The future was now a path through a dark forest, branching with possibilities. A wave function left undisturbed, unobserved… uncollapsed.

So, Izuku wondered, what did it hold for him? How would what's to come fold out when he finally comes to it?

He already knew the answer. It was all one track the whole time, from birth to grave. Probably for the best that the latter remained a mystery for now...

Back