The Summerfest One Page RPG Contest

Is there a limit on number of entries per person? Either way:

Vampire Tag
Find a room of reasonable size with a door, window, or large skylight. It needs a decent mix of light and shade, with clear delineation between the two.
One player is the Vampire. Their job is to tag all the other players, drinking their blood through mutant claws like a JoJo villain. If they wind up in the light, even partially, they should leap back out and take two seconds to loudly growl/hiss, quietly wail/shriek, and otherwise overact being on fire. Then they regenerate.
The other players are Hunters. Their job is to get to the vampire's coffin, an agreed-upon object in the most defensible area of shade, and destroy it. In approximate order of difficulty, this means splashing it with (holy) water from a bottle, laying a living hand on its curséd surface, splashing it from a small cup, or dragging it out into the sunlight. Choose a method appropriate for the room and your group.
For Hunter groups larger than about six, you should probably increase the number of coffins and/or vampires.

Just wanted to say that mechanically, this is a totally viable and really original approach - I love games that you can act out!

What I would say is that if you wanted to improve your chances of becoming the winner or a Special Mention, I'd consider formatting this as a Google Doc or a PDF, with some headers added in for the different paragraphs. (Something along the lines of "What You Need"/"Players"/"Rules"/"Winning the Game"/"Further Suggestions"). I'd suggest use an appropriately gothic or antique font, in quite large type - at least sixteen - as this is something people will want to read when they're up and about. The only real rules ambiguity I spotted is whether Hunters who get touched are simply dead, or become vampires/thralls. Maybe these could be two different rules variants!

Creative Commons Image Search is a fantastic source of resources you can use totally for free if you wanted to add in a spooky art. Personally find Open Clip Art really useful, having used often to make decorations and art assets for Con Prom events before, and it has 204 results for "vampire". Lastly, if you wanted to add maybe a couple sentences (it does not need much added length), then you could add an opening sentence as an introduction saying briefly what the game is about, any other suggestions for achieving a desired tone and hamming things up (should the Hunters speak like Van Helsing, or a colourful band of heroes similar to the posse sent to defeat Dracula?), or some ideas for expanding/modifying the rules.

Of course if you'd prefer to leave your entry as it is, then that's absolutely fine! But I think it has a lot of potential, and would love to see where it could go if you wanted to take it to the next level.

Last edited:
What I would say is that if you wanted to improve your chances of becoming the winner or a Special Mention, I'd consider formatting this as a Google Doc or a PDF, with some headers added in for the different paragraphs. (Something along the lines of "What You Need"/"Players"/"Rules"/"Winning the Game"/"Further Suggestions").
Hm. I don't like gDocs for reading - poor interface choices, I think - and PDFs are kind of a pain without professional software. Is the objective to make this printable? Because if you can't read on a screen, you probably don't have enough shade to play!
The only real rules ambiguity I spotted is whether Hunters who get touched are simply dead, or become vampires/thralls. Maybe these could be two different rules variants!
True; I considered both, but my old concision instincts (I was largely aiming for 'dead') maybe backfired there - I have probably an order of magnitude more leeway here than in the 200 Word RPG Challenge.
any other suggestions for achieving a desired tone and hamming things up (should the Hunters speak like Van Helsing, or a colourful band of heroes similar to the posse sent to defeat Dracula?), or some ideas for expanding/modifying the rules.
I haven't actually read Dracula - hopefully I'll catch Dracula Daily next year. For this sort of game, though, it's definitely better to focus on memes, and in context that probably means Symphony of the Night. Maybe a Boktai reference.

Last edited:
Vampire Tag Final
Vampire Tag
Setup:
Find a shadowed area large enough to play tag in, with at least one patch of sunlight. (Artificial may do in a pinch.) Patches of sunlight need to be obvious, and not block off too much of the play area, though how much is too much depends on the variant you're playing (explained below). You'll also need a cardboard box, trophy cup, actual prop coffin, or other suitable reliquary to be the vampire's weakpoint.
Roles:
One player is the Vampire. Their job is to tag all the other players, drinking their blood through mutant claws like a JoJo villain. If they wind up in the light, even partially, they should leap back out and take two seconds to loudly growl or hiss/quietly scream, wail, shriek/otherwise overact being on fire, and then regenerate.
The other players are Hunters. Their job is to get to the vampire's Coffin and take a staking or crushing pose, as appropriate, while shouting "Die, monster! You don't belong in this world!"
If a Hunter gets tagged, they sink to the the ground with a (soft) scream of fear or defiance! After lying down for a couple of seconds, they rise as a Vampire.
Thrall variant: Tagged Hunters instead rise as Thralls, who restrain Hunters for the Vampire to feed on. Hunters tagged by Thralls are frozen until the Thrall breaks contact, but may be pulled away by other Hunters.
Holy Water variant: Destroying the Coffin requires splashing it with 'holy' water, and thus requires a Coffin and surrounding area that won't be a problem to get wet. Splashing from bottles or paper cups is probably easier than tagging it, provided refills are readily available, but you can also use saucers if you want to make it difficult.
Boktai variant: Destroying the Coffin requires dragging it out into the sunlight, and is probably more fun with coffins that require actual dragging. Once it's in full sunlight, do the shout to end the game.

Author's note: In the post editor this version looks more like three pages, though that's probably a quirk of the format. I'd also welcome suggestions on a fun memey ritual for starting the game, which is presently a little sparse on roleplay compared to the other major events.

Last edited:
Please, O Great Prince
In "Please, O Great Prince, Reconsider", you take on the role of one of the prince's minders as the prince tries to enjoy an asteroid paradise orbiting an ocean-star, limited noticeably by the prince's total lack of self-preservation instincts or, for that matter, any other useful instincts at all.

Someone is having fun in this sun, and it damn well better be the prince.

docs.google.com

“Please, O Great Prince, Reconsider”

“Please, O Great Prince, Reconsider” A game for 2-6 players. Equipment: some d6s Once per century, the young adult scions of the Ninety Great Powers meet for a month of star-fishing, favor-trading, and general entertainment. This is the story of the staff who make it so fun for these ignorant, ov...

Any particular reason my first draft is the one that got threadmarked? Incidentally, I did check on that art resource, and saw no appropriate-to-the-vibe vampire art. I suppose my entry will go unillustrated.

Thank you for all your wonderful entries! The Judges are now poring over them and scoring them in categories ranging across design, writing, as well as presentation and vibes.

Watch this space in five days time for when we announce the winner and special mentions!

Any particular reason my first draft is the one that got threadmarked? Incidentally, I did check on that art resource, and saw no appropriate-to-the-vibe vampire art. I suppose my entry will go unillustrated.

Several entries on the second page lack threadmarks. It's probably just a mistake, though a clarification would be appreciated.

Slight Delay to Judging
Due to some unfortunate IRL clashes with work responsibilities for a couple of the judges, we're going to have to push back the announcement of our winners and special mentions to the 13th (I.E. this Tuesday), so that each of the entries can get the proper appraisal, detailed scoring and discussion that it deserves.

We apologise for the delay and hope you'll understand, and look forward to revealing the winner at Midnight (GMT) on Tuesday night.

2024 Summerfest One Page RPG Contest Winner and Runners-Up
This year's contest has had a wealth of excellent entries. You all put your creativity, talent, and whimsy on full display with a wealth of cool ideas. Congratulations are in order for all entrants, both for putting yourselves out there and for putting together some cool games. The Judges scored all of the entries on three ten point scales covering design, writing, and presentation, leading to scores out of ninety for every entry. There were many entries that scored in the sixties above, and competition was fierce for the top spots, even moreso than last year.

But someone had to win, and what a winner they were! Without further ado, let me announce our winner for the 2024 Summerfest One Page RPG Contest!

⭐⭐The Winner ⭐⭐

...is BeastBall by @Fabled Ranger!

BeastBall is a stunning example of honing simple ideas until they shine like the summer sun. It's got a great sense of humour, body horror, a clear driving force for the session, and a compelling more mechanic. The core mechanic is a standout, generating a compelling range of outcomes and genuine tension from a dirt-simple push-your-luck roll. The transformation-based publicity stunt turned beach brawl is a fun concept for a short session, and the built-in player and GM advice is useful and simple. The writing is also great, with tightly written and evocative sentences that sell the reader on the game's core conceit and explain the rules clearly, with nary a wasted word. The choice to present the "contract" as an in-universe document is a lovely touch

All of the Judges were knocked out by the quality of the presentation, layout and general finish, and how Ranger managed to get the contract-as-character sheet and full set of examples into the space provided. A real tour de force from start to finish. The only constructive note, and it's very much optional, is that you could consider replacing or adding to the Day One/Day Two structure with something more like the event/encounter/plot tables used by the entries below, if you wanted to add replay value.

🥈Special Mentions 🥈

These are the games which scored highest after the winner, in not particular order.

The Sun and the Labyrinth by @illhousen

A really strong entry from the winner of last year's Sufficiently Small RPG Contest, The Sun and the Labyrinth had possibly the most evocative settings of any entry this year. Such strong themes and such a strong sense of place really help to orient players and the GM in how the game should be played and what they're meant to do, and this is combined with simple but effective visual design and layout and great use of colour, with lightweight mechanics that really serve to reinforce the core conceit of the player characters as ghosts holding onto the last frayed remains of the people they once were.

The d6 tables for each level of the Labyrinth provide encounters but also a clear for how the players are meant to transit out of the underworld which naturally structures play, combined with evocative descriptions that convey a clear sense of place and a distinctive feel to each realm. This game's fundamental metabolic source of energy is very much based on vibes, but unlike some games with cool vibes that then take an immense amount of work from the player and GM to actually deliver on them, everything here works naturally to help players get the intended experience.

The only constructive note which came through from judging was that it's not clear what purpose designating a player as the "leader" of a check serves; getting other players to narrate what they're doing to contribute without actually being able to mechanically contribute is generally just slightly frustrating. I would suggesting either having checks be solely individual for a given player and removing the bit about a designated leader, or letting players help eachother on checks and slightly tweaking the numbers.

One Page RPG by @Mouse

Humour is a really difficult thing to get right if you're trying to write an RPG, because it's hard to avoid veering wildly between cheap wisecracks which fall flat, or the kind of painfully self-conscious irony which we've all grown a bit tired of in recent years. Fundamentally it's hard to get players to invest in playing a game if the game itself does not really feel confident in its own premise. One Page RPG stands alongside BeastBall and some other great entries this year in demonstrating how to do a comedic game the right way, by letting the humour flow naturally from an funny premise, like the best situational comedies.

One Page RPG is also mechanically ambitious. Whilst using a deck of playing cards instead of dice is a staple of indie RPGs, these sorts of resolution mechanics can be surprisingly tricky to make work if you don't keep things very simple. This game ambitiously shots for a system with multiple character stats and other moving parts as well as gradated levels of success, and hits the target with appropriately royal aplomb. The Social Event tables provide a great array of potential hijinks and plots and make planning and structuring a session easy, but also give the reader an immediate sense of the intended tone and setting of the game.

The one bit of constructive criticism I'd add is that players being able to roll on the second table for character generation should not be conditional on having two Crown Princesses in the party. Fundamentally you're just wasting valuable wordcount and page space that lets players further differentiate and personalise their characters if you're not letting players make use of it.

Children of the Sea by @QafianSage

To say that a roleplaying game delivers on the promise of letting you direct your own Studio Ghibli film is quite a rare and almost impossible boast. In the opinion of the Judges, this game delivers. Evocative writing combine with mechanics that are lightweight but have quite a lot of depth to them and tie back into character and world-building. The "Adventure" section is a standout, with enough guidance and scaffolding to handhold even the most newbie of groups through their first session, and add real replay value for more experienced groups. Lastly, the presentation and layout are really nice, showing what a good choice of colour scheme and layout combined with a single nice piece of artwork can do.

The only constructive critique we had, and it's a very small niggle, is that an editing pass could have made the game fit onto two sides of the page rather than running over.

Finally...

A big thank you to everyone who participated! From submitting entries to encouraging friends and providing feedback, you all helped make this event a success! At the end of Summerfest, everyone who submitted an entry to this contest will get one month's Silver SV subscription! Each of the runners up and the winner will receive a three months of Gold SV subscription. Fabled Ranger will be getting that 20$ gift card and, at some point in the future, we'll be giving it a shot at a town hall!

...Okay, that's utterly bizarre. I honestly did not notice that it had wrapped around onto the third page, and it wasn't like that in the document before I exported it as a PDF. My bad for not double-checking the PDF afterwards, I guess.

But apart from that, I just want to say thank you to the Judges so much for all your kind words about my little project, and to all the other contestants who submitted to the competition. I had a lot of fun with this, and I hope you all did too!

Congrats to the winner! BeastBall is a neat little game with a good hook for a oneshot and great presentation. I especially like the touch of the contract text being slightly warped, imitating folds of an actual paper. Great detail. It's well-deserved of the first place.

A really strong entry from the winner of last year's Sufficiently Small RPG Contest, The Sun and the Labyrinth had possibly the most evocative settings of any entry this year. Such strong themes and such a strong sense of place really help to orient players and the GM in how the game should be played and what they're meant to do, and this is combined with simple but effective visual design and layout and great use of colour, with lightweight mechanics that really serve to reinforce the core conceit of the player characters as ghosts holding onto the last frayed remains of the people they once were.

The d6 tables for each level of the Labyrinth provide encounters but also a clear for how the players are meant to transit out of the underworld which naturally structures play, combined with evocative descriptions that convey a clear sense of place and a distinctive feel to each realm. This game's fundamental metabolic source of energy is very much based on vibes, but unlike some games with cool vibes that then take an immense amount of work from the player and GM to actually deliver on them, everything here works naturally to help players get the intended experience.

Thanks! Writing it was an exercise in using concise, evocative language instead of going for for several paragraphs describing everything neat I though up, which is more my pace when it comes to TTRPGs. Glad to see it worked.

The only constructive note which came through from judging was that it's not clear what purpose designating a player as the "leader" of a check serves; getting other players to narrate what they're doing to contribute without actually being able to mechanically contribute is generally just slightly frustrating. I would suggesting either having checks be solely individual for a given player and removing the bit about a designated leader, or letting players help eachother on checks and slightly tweaking the numbers.

Yeah, that's fair. The project has started (way, way before the contest) as a DRYH hack, and that's how DRYH does things, but that's because it uses dicepools in unusual ways, and limiting mechanical input to one player at a time with everyone bearing the consequences prevents things from getting weird in undesirable ways.

My game doesn't really have that consideration, so just doing individual rolls always makes more sense, in retrospect. I was just stuck in the old paradigm here.

I've edited the document to reflect the change, if someone is interested in using the game.

Now, a bit of history. I'm kinda using these contests as an impetus to work on ideas I had for awhile but didn't have the energy to actually write up. With the last year's Wizard Van, the end product was pretty close to what I've envisioned for it, just with a bit of mechanical juggling and more concrete setting.

The Sun and the Labyrinth, however, has changed a lot compared to the initial idea (which I think is still viable as a separate game).

So, for awhile now I've been thinking about a game taking place in an enormous house made out of various abandoned rooms haphazardly stitched together. People find themselves there by slipping through the cracks of reality after losing connection with the world around them. Bereft of memory, they traverse the house to regain it, and in the end face the question of whether they want to leave into the world that has rejected them (or one they rejected) or stay.

And when I say "awhile", I meant I wrote this game close to twenty years ago, and it was bad. There was Deep Lore that didn't need to be there because it was just a distraction from the core themes, the mechanics were DRYH stripped of the more interesting parts, there was a part that could make for a neat scene that was stretched to a whole section of the house... It was bad.

Now that I'm more experienced in game design and, like, understanding how to support a theme, though, I do want to revisit it because the core idea still holds an appeal to me.

In my musing I have not yet settled on specific core mechanics, but I do know that I want Echo to play a major part of. In that game, I envision it working close to Dark fate from the Mountain Witch, a way for players to constantly introduce various setting elements reflecting their characters' forgotten lives that by the end should cohere into a solid picture.

When this contest was announced, I figured I'd use that as a basis for my entry, buuuut the issue is that Echo/Dark Fate is a narratively complex mechanic that really needs explaining to shine, especially in how the GM is meant to facilitate its use. If I had ten pages, I'd have managed to do it, most likely, but not with one. Also it would be hard to fit in the theme of the sun there, lol.

So I turned to another long-standing bugbear of mine, the Corners, a place of decay without release where the dead and forgotten fall and try to escape by stealing sparks of life from others before all that's left of them is an echo endlessly repeating "I am I", incapable of doing or thinking anything else yet conscious of its condition.

This one had potential in this contest since I could work in the sun theme pretty naturally as yearning for everything lost in death.

I've written a couple pieces involving them (as Worm fanfics because of course), but never did an actual setting write-up (partly because they were envisioned as a part of a larger setting rather than their own thing). Starting as an urban fantasy, I've changed them to more conventional dark fantasy to shamelessly capitalize on Dark Souls craze because I think it works better as a standalone thing and requires less explanation and sorta folded the house as a middle piece into it, tweaking its themes a bit for a better fit.

I've also mostly omitted the themes of cannibalism and fluid identity coming from adoption of parts and memories of others to repair your failing self to make the game more thematically straightforward and because that really would require its own subsystem to shine.

So, that's how the vibes came to be. Mechanically, everything is a lot simpler: the game is mostly a reskinned version of The Dark Below, which is also a lightweight oneshot-oriented game about escaping a nightmarish underground labyrinth (though hopefully my setting is distinct enough to stand on its own).

I've tweaked and streamlined the system*, fit Echo into an existing mechanical niche** (if in significantly simplified version than originally envisioned) and added harm tracker***, but you can find most mechanical elements I use present there. If you can spare $10, it's worth checking out.

I think that's enough ramblings from me.

Thanks to the event organizers, these events really did help me to sit down and actually finish creative projects, which is something I don't always manage on my own.

*The Dark Below uses d12 and variable difficulty. Avoiding danger being far easier than confronting it is still there, but used more as an example. I found it mostly not worth the bother in a vibe-based oneshot, especially since in addition to skill and item, the Dark Below also allows you to gain a bonus to roll by establishing a narrative advantage like high ground... which should probably just factor into difficulty in the first place.

**The Dark Below gives you three matches you can light up for auto-success. They're more of a mechanical construct than something with in-universe presence, which makes it easy to replace them with something more thematically resonant.

***The Dark Below doesn't really have any sort of system for tracking injuries, they're purely narrative. If you spend all your matches, you may die on your next failure, though. I prefer harm to be a separate thing since that allows me to use it as a price for still advancing the game even on a failure, but it's an interesting mechanic.

🥈Special Mentions 🥈

One Page RPG by @Mouse

The one bit of constructive criticism I'd add is that players being able to roll on the second table for character generation should not be conditional on having two Crown Princesses in the party. Fundamentally you're just wasting valuable wordcount and page space that lets players further differentiate and personalise their characters if you're not letting players make use of it.

Thank you for the accolades - the competition was fierce and many entries both imaginative and well-presented (I imagine I fell badly there, cramming everything into the allocated space, and a rewrite would certainly expand to a third page just for readability). Beastball deserves the win, and I admit The Sun and the Labyrinth sent chills down my spine just reading it - perhaps this is a game to be played in a darkened room?

A rules clarification which will, I think, lead to a minor rewrite: the intent is for all players to draw on both character generation tables. However, you can't have two Crown Princesses (that is the title for the female heir to the Crown), and so if two players draw Crown Princess they must both redraw a different character on the Rank (first) table. This is what the text says, but the presentation obscures it.

If anyone tries 'One Page RPG', I would be interested in a review of your session.

...Okay, that's utterly bizarre. I honestly did not notice that it had wrapped around onto the third page, and it wasn't like that in the document before I exported it as a PDF. My bad for not double-checking the PDF afterwards, I guess.

But apart from that, I just want to say thank you to the Judges so much for all your kind words about my little project, and to all the other contestants who submitted to the competition. I had a lot of fun with this, and I hope you all did too!

Yeah, I thought it might be something along those lines; that's definitely happened to me before as well.

PDFs: It's their world, we're just living in it.

And thank you, I'm glad you had fun, and it was definitely a blast reading your game!

Yeah, that's fair. The project has started (way, way before the contest) as a DRYH hack, and that's how DRYH does things, but that's because it uses dicepools in unusual ways, and limiting mechanical input to one player at a time with everyone bearing the consequences prevents things from getting weird in undesirable ways.

My game doesn't really have that consideration, so just doing individual rolls always makes more sense, in retrospect. I was just stuck in the old paradigm here.

I've edited the document to reflect the change, if someone is interested in using the game.

Now, a bit of history. I'm kinda using these contests as an impetus to work on ideas I had for awhile but didn't have the energy to actually write up. With the last year's Wizard Van, the end product was pretty close to what I've envisioned for it, just with a bit of mechanical juggling and more concrete setting.

The Sun and the Labyrinth, however, has changed a lot compared to the initial idea (which I think is still viable as a separate game).

So, for awhile now I've been thinking about a game taking place in an enormous house made out of various abandoned rooms haphazardly stitched together. People find themselves there by slipping through the cracks of reality after losing connection with the world around them. Bereft of memory, they traverse the house to regain it, and in the end face the question of whether they want to leave into the world that has rejected them (or one they rejected) or stay.

And when I say "awhile", I meant I wrote this game close to twenty years ago, and it was bad. There was Deep Lore that didn't need to be there because it was just a distraction from the core themes, the mechanics were DRYH stripped of the more interesting parts, there was a part that could make for a neat scene that was stretched to a whole section of the house... It was bad.

Now that I'm more experienced in game design and, like, understanding how to support a theme, though, I do want to revisit it because the core idea still holds an appeal to me.

In my musing I have not yet settled on specific core mechanics, but I do know that I want Echo to play a major part of. In that game, I envision it working close to Dark fate from the Mountain Witch, a way for players to constantly introduce various setting elements reflecting their characters' forgotten lives that by the end should cohere into a solid picture.

When this contest was announced, I figured I'd use that as a basis for my entry, buuuut the issue is that Echo/Dark Fate is a narratively complex mechanic that really needs explaining to shine, especially in how the GM is meant to facilitate its use. If I had ten pages, I'd have managed to do it, most likely, but not with one. Also it would be hard to fit in the theme of the sun there, lol.

So I turned to another long-standing bugbear of mine, the Corners, a place of decay without release where the dead and forgotten fall and try to escape by stealing sparks of life from others before all that's left of them is an echo endlessly repeating "I am I", incapable of doing or thinking anything else yet conscious of its condition.

This one had potential in this contest since I could work in the sun theme pretty naturally as yearning for everything lost in death.

I've written a couple pieces involving them (as Worm fanfics because of course), but never did an actual setting write-up (partly because they were envisioned as a part of a larger setting rather than their own thing). Starting as an urban fantasy, I've changed them to more conventional dark fantasy to shamelessly capitalize on Dark Souls craze because I think it works better as a standalone thing and requires less explanation and sorta folded the house as a middle piece into it, tweaking its themes a bit for a better fit.

I've also mostly omitted the themes of cannibalism and fluid identity coming from adoption of parts and memories of others to repair your failing self to make the game more thematically straightforward and because that really would require its own subsystem to shine.

So, that's how the vibes came to be. Mechanically, everything is a lot simpler: the game is mostly a reskinned version of The Dark Below, which is also a lightweight oneshot-oriented game about escaping a nightmarish underground labyrinth (though hopefully my setting is distinct enough to stand on its own).

I've tweaked and streamlined the system*, fit Echo into an existing mechanical niche** (if in significantly simplified version than originally envisioned) and added harm tracker***, but you can find most mechanical elements I use present there. If you can spare $10, it's worth checking out.

I think that's enough ramblings from me.

Thanks to the event organizers, these events really did help me to sit down and actually finish creative projects, which is something I don't always manage on my own.

*The Dark Below uses d12 and variable difficulty. Avoiding danger being far easier than confronting it is still there, but used more as an example. I found it mostly not worth the bother in a vibe-based oneshot, especially since in addition to skill and item, the Dark Below also allows you to gain a bonus to roll by establishing a narrative advantage like high ground... which should probably just factor into difficulty in the first place.

**The Dark Below gives you three matches you can light up for auto-success. They're more of a mechanical construct than something with in-universe presence, which makes it easy to replace them with something more thematically resonant.

***The Dark Below doesn't really have any sort of system for tracking injuries, they're purely narrative. If you spend all your matches, you may die on your next failure, though. I prefer harm to be a separate thing since that allows me to use it as a price for still advancing the game even on a failure, but it's an interesting mechanic.

*nods*

That makes sense. Glad to see that the contest helped you take the plunge and start working on idea you'd had on the back burner for a while. That's very much the mission statement of these sorts of competitions so I'm really glad it worked.

In terms of the challenge mechanics, it would be nice if there were some way for characters to assist other characters character on a roll, beyond providing Echoes of course. Of course if you let players helping provide say a +1 to the rolls, then you need to re-jig the difficulty thresholds, which is potentially awkward, and also your statistical room for manoeuvre on a single d10 roll is limited. Even a single +1 is quite a big swing on a d10. What you could possibly do is change the difficulty thresholds to 4/5+, 7+ and 9+ - with the idea that the last one is almost impossible and is going to need another player helping, multiple attempts with the risk of Harm, or spending an Echo.

A beeter problematic approach than simply letting other players add bonuses without risk might be letting players who want to help another player with a challenge make their own roll (typically at lower difficulty) to see if they can provide assistance or an advantage; this means you probably don't need to faff around with the thresholds as much because there's a chance of failure and also some risk to players helping. (Recently I've been playing a GMless game of Starforged with @Acatalepsy and an offsite friend, and it uses an approach similar to this; if you want to help another player then you need to make your own Seize the Advantage roll.) Then if they're successful, they could provide a +1 or something.

Lastly, in terms of the Echoes, I really like them and think they're one of thematically strongest aspects of the game's design. One thing I wonder is that given they're mechanically so powerful with the auto-success, it creates a strong psychological incentive for players to hoard them for really difficult challenges, rather than using them and interacting with the mechanic more in play. The fact that player can knock down any challenge with Echoes also means that the optimal strategy for a GM to provide difficulty is to make it a battle of attrition, where players are forced to choose between risking accumulating Harm or spending Echoes - which is not necessarily invalid, to be clear, but something to consider in terms of what the optimal play experience should look like.

One approach might be to make Echoes slightly less powerful, but also possible to regain through play? So instead of an auto-success they provide a re-roll, but also it's possible to acquire new Echoes by discovering lost parts of yourself, or other intact memories lying around. Perhaps if you roll a 10, or match the difficulty of the challenge roll exactly, you can gain a new Echo? So then players are incentivised to spend them more often, which is a good thing because it means they're spending more time describing memories of their character and roleplaying them at the table. Also, it means you get to reincorporate your idea of "cannibalism", where players can absorb and incorporate memories they find in their adventures, or even by consuming them from foes.

Or perhaps if you roll an even number or something you get to retain the Echo you spent on that roll, whilst a match means you gain a new one. This means a player's existing set of Echoes will tend to stay around slightly longer, which is potentially a good thing if you want to emphasise that these are "core memories" that reflect their personality - whilst over time these core memories will still tend to be lost and replaced with new ones. If you took this approach then I think I'd add some guidance to the effect that players should try to play up how a new Echo might change their character's personality or behaviour - there's potentially quite a lot of implied horror in this, the idea of losing parts of yourself and your personality mutating as you travel through the Labyrinth, with the implication that this may be how many of the "monsters" you meet began.

...Apologies for the rather long post with different suggestions for rules tweaks haha, hope they were interesting or potentially useful. Honestly this is the sort of thing that only playtesting will provide the ultimate answer for. Theorycrafting is useful and there is a lot that good game design theory can do, but there is never a full substitute for seeing how actual humans interact with game in the wild.

Thank you for the accolades - the competition was fierce and many entries both imaginative and well-presented (I imagine I fell badly there, cramming everything into the allocated space, and a rewrite would certainly expand to a third page just for readability). BeastBall deserves the win, and I admit The Sun and the Labyrinth sent chills down my spine just reading it - perhaps this is a game to be played in a darkened room?

A rules clarification which will, I think, lead to a minor rewrite: the intent is for all players to draw on both character generation tables. However, you can't have two Crown Princesses (that is the title for the female heir to the Crown), and so if two players draw Crown Princess they must both redraw a different character on the Rank (first) table. This is what the text says, but the presentation obscures it.

If anyone tries 'One Page RPG', I would be interested in a review of your session.

Aha, that makes complete sense, apologies for the misreading! This is why having a second person read your stuff is always helpful TBH - it helps to identify to you the places where other people will misunderstand your intent slightly. And yeah, definitely, I hope someone does does give the game a go!

If anyone reading this thread is interested in doing a playtest and then writing up or recording their session, then PM me and I will find a way for Content Promotion to do something to promote it.

Same goes for anyone who would ends up running a playtest for any of the other finalists or entries here, we'd love to hear about it.

A beeter problematic approach than simply letting other players add bonuses without risk might be letting players who want to help another player with a challenge make their own roll (typically at lower difficulty) to see if they can provide assistance or an advantage; this means you probably don't need to faff around with the thresholds as much because there's a chance of failure and also some risk to players helping.

That is in fact how the Dark Below does assist mechanics, lol, and yeah, it's viable.

I've picked d10 because it's a more common die thanks to Storyteller, but switching back to d12 would provide more room to mess with probabilities.

Lastly, in terms of the Echoes, I really like them and think they're one of thematically strongest aspects of the game's design. One thing I wonder is that given they're mechanically so powerful with the auto-success, it creates a strong psychological incentive for players to hoard them for really difficult challenges, rather than using them and interacting with the mechanic more in play. The fact that player can knock down any challenge with Echoes also means that the optimal strategy for a GM to provide difficulty is to make it a battle of attrition, where players are forced to choose between risking accumulating Harm or spending Echoes - which is not necessarily invalid, to be clear, but something to consider in terms of what the optimal play experience should look like.

A quick fix for hoarding tendencies would be to make it so you can only use your Echo once per section of the Labyrinth, so it becomes a use it or lose it mechanic. Possibly literally as the price you must pay to ascend.

I probably won't mess with the Sun and the Labyrinth beyond possibly adding the above fix (now that I have slightly more room on the page), but it certainly does give me ideas for full games based on it:

One approach might be to make Echoes slightly less powerful, but also possible to regain through play? So instead of an auto-success they provide a re-roll, but also it's possible to acquire new Echoes by discovering lost parts of yourself, or other intact memories lying around. Perhaps if you roll a 10, or match the difficulty of the challenge roll exactly, you can gain a new Echo? So then players are incentivised to spend them more often, which is a good thing because it means they're spending more time describing memories of their character and roleplaying them at the table. Also, it means you get to reincorporate your idea of "cannibalism", where players can absorb and incorporate memories they find in their adventures, or even by consuming them from foes.

In a hypothetical full game about the House I do envision echoes as being less powerful but much easier to use. The main inspiration here is Dark Fate from the Mountain Witch, which allows players to introduce new elements into the scene at any time, for free, and encourages the GM to actively prompt players to do so ("You see a corpse on the side of a road. It is someone one of you know. Who wants to describe who that is and why they matter to you?").

So, basically, the players are encouraged to spam echoes constantly, being haunted by the lives they can't remember, and at the end of the game they assemble their stories from the elements introduced. Quite a few of them would probably be discarded as superficial in such a scenario (you summoned a knife once, but it doesn't fit as a major element of the story you've settled on, so it becomes just a knife), but that's not necessarily a bad thing as it gives players room to feel out what they want their characters to be before settling on anything specific.

An alternative is to make them powerful but also dangerous, becoming corrupted upon use and passing under the GM's control. You summon a knife to help you out, but now it wants to be used, that kind of thing. So using Echoes becomes a problem alchemy: you resolve the current issue but create another, of a different type that may be more appealing to you.

In the Corners game, there is already the idea of assimilating parts of others, which could easily tie into the Echo mechanics, though that shifts the themes of the game a lot as it becomes about slowly becoming someone else and losing yourself rather than holding onto your last vestiges.

The alternative here is that, well, Labyrinth/Corners is a world without endings. Things decay, corrode, get lost, but they don't disappear, and so they can potentially be found again, if diminished and potentially changed, so the ability to regain your Echoes outright by finding lost pieces of yourself is not out of question.

The trick is that, mechanically, it should be something the players can initiate, so there should be a procedure for it and some kind of risk/cost that should be (or feel as) less than facing challenges head on and keeping Echoes for really big ones. Something to think about.

Hm. For my part, I think I don't love being singled out for mid-contest feedback and then never followed up on? It probably improved my game a fair bit, but it also upped my investment in this contest and implied I'd be getting a Special Mention or something, because someone judge-affiliated had been giving my game special attention.
It... might be worth making a Leader Hat Off sockpuppet, @Skippy. Just to avoid misunderstandings like this.

Hm. For my part, I think I don't love being singled out for mid-contest feedback and then never followed up on? It probably improved my game a fair bit, but it also upped my investment in this contest and implied I'd be getting a Special Mention or something, because someone judge-affiliated had been giving my game special attention.
It... might be worth making a Leader Hat Off sockpuppet, @Skippy. Just to avoid misunderstandings like this.

That's understandable.

Basically my motivation in replying to you in the thread was to try and help you turn your game, which I thought had real promise, into something with a shot at winning or placing as a finalist in the contest. This would necessitate it being formatted as a document for people to read, share, download and print, similar to the other entries. But I also didn't want to be too harsh, or to make my guidance so overt that it would end up conferring an unfair advantage, hence why I worded it the way I did. I can completely understand how it came across this way, and how that wouldn't feel great - I apologise for the miscommunication.

A Leader Hat Off sockpuppet is an interesting idea, but I think if it's obviously a staff-controlled account with its whole posting history is giving feedback in events, I'm not sure it would avoid the perception of special attention. It could serve to anonymise which judge is giving feedback, but I'm not sure if this is a hugely motivating concern on its own? Also maintaining a sock account for that purpose would be kind of a hassle, which I'd be willing to put up with if there was a huge benefit, but in this case I'm not convinced it would have solved the underlying issue.

Going forward, what I think we'll do is make this guidance clearer in the rules. Also, I think we should try to offer constructive feedback to more contestants as the contest is still in progress, or to none of them, so no one is unfairly advantaged or feels singled out. What might be best actually is to put up something quite visible saying that we will provide feedback if entrants solicit it, therefore no one gets it who does not want it, but also no one is inadvertently unfairly advantaged.

Also, I'm now very excited to announce that we will be holding a live playtest of the winning game, BeastBall by @Fabled Ranger, at the September SV Town Hall on .

Hope to see you all there!

This would necessitate it being formatted as a document for people to read, share, download and print, similar to the other entries.
Ah. I think this is a case where the contest rules were actually the thing that needs correction, because 'the finished product we are looking for not only fits on a notional sheet of A5 printer paper, but is actually practical to print on such' didn't come across clearly.
A Leader Hat Off sockpuppet is an interesting idea, but I think if it's obviously a staff-controlled account with its whole posting history is giving feedback in events, I'm not sure it would avoid the perception of special attention. It could serve to anonymise which judge is giving feedback, but I'm not sure if this is a hugely motivating concern on its own? Also maintaining a sock account for that purpose would be kind of a hassle, which I'd be willing to put up with if there was a huge benefit, but in this case I'm not convinced it would have solved the underlying issue.
I was thinking for you personally, rather than shared among staffmembers. (I don't normally go through someone's posting history unless I'm a big fan of their work and want to find their other writing. Does anyone? Is that how y'all keep track of who's who now that changing usernames is common?)
Fair that it might not have solved the underlying issue.

Last edited:
Back