The Streaming Service Cartoon Purge

I think a lot of this has to do with the root causes of corporate consolidation and overtly long and unfair copyright laws.

Every piece of mainstream media is owned by like five corporations, workers as a whole do not own the means of production/rights to their labor. With copyright law being stupidly restrictive and long way more then people benefit from it.

Like life plus eighty years. Who makes art in the knowledge that there grandkids will receive royalties.

Not to mention in most productions with more then one creator it is impossible for copyright law to benefit the creators.

It wasn't a tax write off it was taken off the streaming service you can buy it on ITunes or on DVD
Wanting to avoid paying residuals then? Licensing fees on, duno, the music? Stuff like that?

If you think about it, for a streaming service people actually watching a show is a negative. They may have to pay residuals and they certainly have bandwidth costs. Unlike with advertising funded TV, there's no direct gain from someone watching a show - only a marginal negative.

What they care about is getting new subscribers and keeping existing ones. That does loop back to watching (people will subscribe for shows they want to watch), but that's a second order goal now. The 'perfect' show, if they some how managed it, would be one everyone subscribed for but never actually watched.

It's a small difference (directly benefiting from viewers vs using viewers as a proxy for subscriptions) but I think it could be an important one going forward. I could see the streamers trying to work out 'tent poles' (key shows people will subscribe for) and then cutting even popular shows if their metrics say it won't cause people to unsub.

Oh hey I decided to do a free MAX Trial and I noticed the original Tiny Toons and all of Animaniacs are just ... Not there? Despite being big name cartoons from the 90s with Steven Spielbergs name attached to both of them.

Would someone inform David Zaslav that he actually owns those I.Ps and should put them on his official streaming service rather than leave it in a void somewhere

Oh hey I decided to do a free MAX Trial and I noticed the original Tiny Toons and all of Animaniacs are just ... Not there? Despite being big name cartoons from the 90s with Steven Spielbergs name attached to both of them.

Would someone inform David Zaslav that he actually owns those I.Ps and should put them on his official streaming service rather than leave it in a void somewhere
Alternatively, we could *not* remind Zaslav about any more cartoons he could use as tax writeoffs.

Alternatively, we could *not* remind Zaslav about any more cartoons he could use as tax writeoffs.
He already done the deed it seems ,as it's just gone from all streaming platforms (looked it up only the Reboot is on HULU only ) these shows were a hit with audiences and critics... We live In a Insane world where that actually doesn't matter as they removed it from streaming (it was there a year or two ago)

Last edited:
Boy howdy I sure do love paying to borrow things for an indefinite period of time determined by whoever bought whoever I bought it from, it's great and really makes me feel like my money has real value in a real economy

www.pcgamer.com

Another reminder that your digital library isn't forever: Oxenfree will be completely removed from Itch.io next month

The Netflix-owned studio has already delisted the game from the site.

Video Games aren't safe either
Fudge I have Oxenfree on Itch.IO. I got it in a charity sale. But still that sucks.

Boy howdy I sure do love paying to borrow things for an indefinite period of time determined by whoever bought whoever I bought it from, it's great and really makes me feel like my money has real value in a real economy
If something only has a digital release or only gets a temporary physical release by limited run games the issue is worse. If rights issues happen it's gone for good.

This is why I despise copyright law.

Not the concept. In mean id have a mandatory royalty system where anyone can copy a text out of copyright but if you use it to make a profit you'd have to give part of that money to the actual laborers behind it.

Heck property law in general doesn't benefit the poor that much. Sure theft is a crime. But shoplifting a thousand dollars worth of merch would almost certainly have a higher penalty then wage theft which leads to ten thousand dollar per employee lost in the farce of a "Justice" system.
So here's something I noticed

x.com

View: https://x.com/DailyKLK/status/1832364186090807805

I didn't even know there was another episode...

Again companies wonder why people pirate things

It was a special bonus OVA. Not part of the "main" series. So it's understandable. It's like how you can't get bonus features on Streaming.

But still. You know you could like buy it digitally? You don't have to use a streaming service to watch one show. Just buy it digitally. If your only interested in one show buying it is cheaper.

Last edited:
Zaslav. The guy who said he wants to "un-woke" TV and only have action movies for men and reality tv for women.

If I want dumb action movies Netflix shits them out weekly.

If I want 'reality TV' - Youtube will vomit it into my eyeballs faster than I can watch it.

I don't think this is the winning move Zaslav thinks it is. Either that or he's burning the studio down and will walk out with a suitcase full of money.

Back