The Saga of the Runt (Youjo Senki/WH30k)

Ah, I believe Perturabo is charmed too now. Not to the degree of Horus, but he may place Tanya in "Best friend" folder with his adopted sister.
Also, Tanya gave him a lot of revelations which "this explains Everything!" Category. I believe what now Pert will not be deceived by Choas and may strike more friendships with other primarchs

:mad: The irony of a savage brute calling others savage brutes.
true irony alwasy comeing from iron lord

Good ol' peter turbo, being pissy and wanting to build shit
as he always is

Ah, I believe Perturabo is charmed too now. Not to the degree of Horus, but he may place Tanya in "Best friend" folder with his adopted sister.
Also, Tanya gave him a lot of revelations which "this explains Everything!" Category. I believe what now Pert will not be deceived by Choas and may strike more friendships with other primarchs
to be fare he was not deceived by choase it was his friendship with horus that led to his fall
I picture slaanesh's mouth(s)? Watering at the idea of female primarchs.
yes but that things always like that for anything

Why Is Tanya getting such a bad rep between the primarchs I get the Imperium using Tanya's legion but why don't the other primarchs have better info seems like the Big E is kinda shooting himself in the foot their.

Why Is Tanya getting such a bad rep between the primarchs I get the Imperium using Tanya's legion but why don't the other primarchs have better info seems like the Big E is kinda shooting himself in the foot their.

It also seems like a pretty glaring exception to his policy of "tell them nothing so they have no preconceptions" that he's still telling them to expect 'brothers' rather than 'siblings' so they all go "wtf" when they meet Tanya.

After reading about Tanya drinking with her brothers and some comments on the other site I had a vision of Tanya meeting and drinking with Sanguinius. It was a private meeting, just two of them, not their first meeting, but Tanya wanted them to be alone because of how serious the theme was. Tanya wanted to talk to him about why Blood Angels gather the geneseed of the dead. She suspected what just as her Astartes had a chance to botched Ascension genderbending, because of how unusual she is, so is Blood Angels can have something, because of how unusual Sanguinius is. So, to open up and soften the blow She went first and talked about how small percentage of her potential sons do not turn out as sons.
She didn't expected Sanguinius to cry and drunk himself into a stupor.

Sorry, I am currently into a mild hangover. That vision I got this night while drunk
Emprah might be playing mindgames with Tzeench

Tanya according to @a_yoshikage
SOMEONE MADE ART FOR THIS STORY!

can't post a direct link because their Twitter is a bit... spicy
@a_yoshikage did some good work I think

It also seems like a pretty glaring exception to his policy of "tell them nothing so they have no preconceptions" that he's still telling them to expect 'brothers' rather than 'siblings' so they all go "wtf" when they meet Tanya.
soon to be explained
After reading about Tanya drinking with her brothers and some comments on the other site I had a vision of Tanya meeting and drinking with Sanguinius. It was a private meeting, just two of them, not their first meeting, but Tanya wanted them to be alone because of how serious the theme was. Tanya wanted to talk to him about why Blood Angels gather the geneseed of the dead. She suspected what just as her Astartes had a chance to botched Ascension genderbending, because of how unusual she is, so is Blood Angels can have something, because of how unusual Sanguinius is. So, to open up and soften the blow She went first and talked about how small percentage of her potential sons do not turn out as sons.
noted...

Damn, Tanya's fighting for the empire and she's already being censored by someone to be Leman Russ rather than Tanya Russ.

I am picturing Tanya in the 41st Millennia and as far as the rest of the Imperium is concerned Leman Russ was the Primarch of Wolves while this Tanya is just some botched heretical clone, like she's been written out of the history books and she got tired of refuting the claim so she just stays on Fenrir with her Impossible Female Astarte

Damn, Tanya's fighting for the empire and she's already being censored by someone to be Leman Russ rather than Tanya Russ.

I am picturing Tanya in the 41st Millennia and as far as the rest of the Imperium is concerned Leman Russ was the Primarch of Wolves while this Tanya is just some botched heretical clone, like she's been written out of the history books and she got tired of refuting the claim so she just stays on Fenrir with her Impossible Female Astarte
Actually makes me wonder if the plan for the story is for Tanya to go away for a while and come back to find her gender changed on record.

@a_yoshikage meme one
Actually makes me wonder if the plan for the story is for Tanya to go away for a while and come back to find her gender changed on record.
it is possible road there are so many though i would not say any are a sure thing

now as for the real reason I'm posting tonight I present a meme created by @a_yoshikage there is another one on the way possible so look forward to that.

Chapter 37: Wolves hunt another Pray
Chapter 37: Wolves hunt another Prey
865, 30th Millenium

Tanya Russ

It felt good to be back on campaign again, that was a strange thought but still that was how I felt.

This would be my third campaign, by my count. The first, of course, had been the one that had taken me from Fenris to the Wheel of Fire, the next was a decade and a half of campaigns across the Galaxy working with Primarchs I'd gotten to know over the years: Vulkan, Perturabo, Jaghatai and Horus. Over that time my legion had served on every possible planet type I think there was, I mean there was the possibility of one I'd never known existing so that was always a thing to keep an eye out for, I'd seen everything: water, jungles, sand, ice, even a lava planet which had been a hell of a fight.

But I had not run into any other Primarchs in that time, oddly enough. Oh I heard stories but Father had continued to have those files edited in such a way that the exact names were never added to these sheets. It was quite annoying, even Perturabo had commented on it and wondered if he was trying to prevent people from getting their proper lot of Glory. Frankly, I had put that down to no.

The Emperor was having too much fun letting his kids discover each other which was causing a bit of a slowdown, I believed, in the campaign. I wondered if he perhaps didn't realize what he was doing or if he was doing that subconsciously while he ran off and did his own thing. Which he did quite often.

For every campaign I heard of where one of my siblings was participating, I heard about three more where The Emperor was involved in some shape or form. He was doing his utmost to try and save as many human civilizations that were out there as possible, and that attitude was a bit contagious.

For Vulkan, it didn't matter how infectious it was. His need to bring back human dominance to the Galaxy was set, he was already sold on the idea. Horus was always up for the fight though he did seem to try and offer terms to civilizations more than most.

Jaghatai, of course, was Jaghatai. People either surrendered or they got trampled under the wheels of his motorcycles. He didn't seem to care about this infectious need that was pushed by the Emperor. Not to say that he wasn't doing things, it's just he was doing them on his timeline.

Perturabo though, I had noticed, had the most problem with that infectious need to bring in as many civilizations as possible. He even apparently was the type to be susceptible to overwork and every time I ran into him I tried to push him to try and relax a bit, maybe work on one of his structures. So far I hadn't seen any indication that he was building up those planets he had conquered but I didn't have much time to visit those worlds.

I figured, sooner or later, he would invite me to one of them since I was always pushing him to try and work on his civilian infrastructure ideas.

Man, that had been the majority of my second campaign. After that I'd gone back to Fenris for a year and a half of R&R to let my men have a moment to rest, recoup some troops, and ready for a new expedition outwards.

In that time I'd also learned that the two homeguard forces I'd left to try and bring in worlds closer to Fenris had been busy. It created a bit of a large cluster of 40-odd worlds in the area around Fenris that were nominally under our protection. It was not a lot but apparently my region of space wasn't exactly heavy on populated worlds, oh well, nothing that I could do about it, but it was a start at least. Though we'd found quite a number of worlds abandoned, either due to the population fleeing from one disaster or another or having died out inside those same disasters. Although it's always a possibility that a few may have been undergoing terraforming before the Old Night took over and the end of human civilization began.

We generally had been marking those planets down as possible colonization sites, either for our allies or maybe even the people of Fenris someday. I didn't know if that would be something we'd pull off but it was definitely on my list of things I would be interested in doing. Fenris was having a bit of a population boom, rather a large one at that. Though we were somewhat okay at the moment, thanks to shipments of food coming in, it would probably be better for us to curtail our population boom in order to prevent overpopulation. Thich was not, in my opinion, a great situation so emigration targets would be useful. Overpopulation, of course, could also be solved by building up, we would just need to sacrifice more of the wilderness that made up the planet's appeal.

Which would be good for an economy in some aspects but it would be bad to maintain a people who was hearty and able to survive in the wilderness as was needed for the legion, plus I'd seen several Hive cities at this point and I did not want one of those to come into existence on Fenris. So the other option was looking into possibly colonizing worlds that had once been livable in our region.

Of course I'd probably have to clear that with the Administratum, they seemed to be more an annoying bureaucracy than anything but you needed a bureaucracy sometimes. Imagine what would happen if I tried to colonize a planet someone else was already colonizing. That could not end well, I figured.

But those were just the domestic concerns that I had to deal with. They were usually simple, I would look at the situation and tell the people working under me to handle it in the best way that I figured they could do it and it would work out. Being at the top was quite fun in fact, now that I was near the top. Emperor was of course the main CEO of this company but being a sub-CEO was pretty good. I basically made my own hours as long as I continued to contribute heavily in one way or another and I could decide what to do with the conquered planets, or at least for the most part.

That 'most part' got a bit more complex when I ran into aliens.

Orks, of course, were the simplest issue in the universe to deal with: you destroyed them or pushed them into reserve-like planets. I had been to one or two worlds that I could basically bomb into submission to get them to declare they would fight for The Emperor by this point. These planets, of course, had very primitive Orks, ones not even using guns but instead wielding spears and axes to fight amongst each other. They were not exactly enemies of the Imperium but they could be useful as chaff against the enemies of the Imperium. I simply arranged for Imperial Navy ships to be put in orbit around a couple of these planet, to keep their guns on them in case they decide to betray us. I'd even had their warlords sign agreements that they would not pursue space technology and would rely on us for transportation. The Administratum weren't exactly happy about this but mainly because I'd asked them to create some sort of barge that was easily able to be cleaned out of the mushroom and fungus infection.

Now Orks like this were not something you could wield against other alien races, sending them to planets that did not have an Ork infection just guaranteed the planet getting said infection, but sending them against planets already infected with Orks did tend to result in interesting things happening, especially considering the Orks I would introduce were often trained by Space Wolves as I had been interested in seeing if it was possible.

These Orks would be dropped on the planet where they would either succeed in killing the enemy before being returned to their original world or be corrupted by the local Orks and simply become another enemy we had to fight. It had not happened too many times yet but it had happened though both cases had not been big problems as the weapons that we gave them had self-destruct switches thanks to the Mechanicus That helped to keep our Ork volunteers in check, besides, they had plenty of Orks to do battle but lacked the equipment to get all of them to peak lethality.

It was an ongoing experiment so far. I had been working it out but it was always possible that it would backfire and so I was always being careful. The emperor already even popped up once to ask what the hell was going on and, after the information exchange, he'd agreed that he thought that there might be some merit to my idea.

And he was giving me a little bit of rope to run with on this.

That being said, the situation was not the only one we had to deal with. There were many alien races I had run into at this point, many different species, and they usually fell into three camps.

Genocidal assholes who won during the Old Night and had conquered their human neighbors and enslaved them, often either murdering them or putting them on the lowest strata of society. Trying to negotiate a stop to that situation usually led to me being forced to repay the genocidal assholes with a genocide of my own, there was a few dozen planets that had been reduced to Stone Age technology because we had been forced to come in and blow shit up. I had to hand them over to the Administratum to deal with even if, because of my previous conversations with Malcador, I knew that that was probably a death sentence. So, yeah, even though I would love to live in a Star Trek Utopia type situation where us and the aliens could get along and build a better economy… It looked like it would remain a dream for now, at least for most species.

There were also relics of what was called The Dark Age of Technology by the Mechanicus, a Misnomer if I ever had been one. These holdout civilizations usually were humans mixed with other species, often equals, and a not as terrible situation as we had run into on several areas.

Now they weren't genocidal so our attempts to try and deal with them was that of a normal human civilization to be brought in. It should not have been too hard.

But of course, just as everything else in the 31st millenium, it was, indeed, pretty hard. Apparently stories of our policies towards some civilizations had spread and they told tales about how we were some sort of Maniacs out there trying to wipe out all alien civilization and put humanity on top. Which was half true but humanity on it's way back to the top would probably be for the best, considering what the other civilizations had done when we weren't around. But that was a story for another time. So these mixed civilizations would immediately declare that they would not join the Imperium and then proceeded to kill our messengers and/or shoot at us or something that would basically activate our own protocols which said that if a civilization attacked us we had the right to invade and conquer them.

It was annoying that what should have been simple negotiations about the integration of these people into the Imperium, as another class of citizenship, ended up becoming these bloodbaths and violent annexations.

One of the reasons I decided to take my last break from campaigning had been simply running into another one of these awful moments where it seemed possible that we would have been able to create some sort of alliance with a Human-Xeno republic, only for that to go up in a nuclear fireball when they tried to send a shuttle with explosives to my ship under parley.

The other situation that happened with Xenos was at least somewhat better. When a Xeno species was not very advanced, barely in the space age or lesser, and had no connections to humanity and no real connections to the Galaxy we were able to create a couple enclaves. Basically it was a simple deal that they would trade with the Imperium and swear fealty to it.

Cases such as these were very rare, because finding Xenos that weren't in active connection with humanity was not something that happened very often as far as I could tell.

Although I had to think the Dark Eldar pirates or the corsairs whatever they prefered to be called, at this point I really just saw those two as two faces of the same coin as far as I was concerned, were a big threat in the region I was fighting in throughout the last campaign. I had tracked down every Corsair piratehold and Dark Eldar Outpost in the region and crushed them, with some effort. This had brought in a bunch of human civilizations and a few Xeno civilizations that only spanned one system and were under the Imperium's control and stabilized a large network of trade centers that opened up more connections to the core.

The Eldar had officially got on my annoyance list, it felt like they were the only other big Xeno species you could run into besides the Orks. h sure there was the shark people and a few other smart races that you ran into once in a while more than every other but the Eldar were the second most common, probably due to the fact they once had an empire that encompassed a good portion of the Galaxy. At least this particular region of the Galaxy that was close to Fenris itself.

Of course the corsairs spouted bullshit about being different but for the most part they seemed to be on their way to being corrupted to Dark Eldar, so I tended to view them as pirates that needed to be burned out. There had been one party that had proven to me that they were not affiliated but they still were slavers and had been causing trade problems. So my options had been to pay the Eldar to not raid trade lanes and hope they agreed to that or destroy their ships and leave them stranded on their planets. That tended to be my mean response when they could prove that they were not in fact related to the Dark Eldar.

The Dark Eldar on the other hand were ones that I just went straight to burning. I didn't run into them very often but when I did they were easily recognizable as they had a tendency to wear leathers and other gothic regalia. Alongside their use of spiky armor that helped to recognize their favorite activities and what they normally got up to… Well I would normally not to judge a book by its cover but in this one case the cover was quite clear on it's contents.

Now, for the most part, all I did was burn out their cities and destroy their ships so i could leave them stranded on whatever planet they were living on beforehand. However sometimes there was nothing you could do but kill everyone on the planet. The crimes they had commited would probably have most war crimes organizations retching in a bathroom somewhere. That statue that I'd come across all those years ago was on the tamer side of the evils they could get up to.

In the end it came as a surprise that there were worse things than being turned into a living statue and that put a dark feeling on my gut.

Thankfully the Eldar were not a monolith. the corsairs for example were an outlier, as for the Dark Eldar… Well, they were a rarer sight, what was more common were the two other groups we had run across: Craftworlds and Exodites. Craftworld Eldars lived in large mobile moon-sized vessels who engaged in trade with basically everyone. hey seemed to be more than willing to trade with all sides on the conflicts that engaged with them.

Those were in all likelihood from the same place as that one Eldar I'd met all those years before came from, although the specific Craftworld from which they came from was still a mystery to me. The few I had run into had been aloof and unwilling to join the Imperium. Since they were Xenos and had no direct contact with humanity, as well as being mobile, I gave them enough room to do whatever they wanted. After all they were traders, they were providing a place for trade to flow which would help the economy of whatever empire was using them. If the Imperium just became the only option they would still be traders and they would have to sign a deal with us at some point. No reason to start a war with them, I thought.

Well, I wasn't going to start a war with them. Some of them were apparently all too willing to start wars with me.

During one of my many campaigns aiming to reduce the amount of corsairs and Dark Eldar in the universe I'd run into a group of Eldar that apparently thought that helping my targets survive was a good idea. Those Eldar had fought and kept us in a standstill more then once, keeping us in check long enough for them to evacuate the disgusting monsters that were the Dark Eldar offworld as well as many of their ships. What particular brand of the CraftWorld Eldar it was I didn't know yet but the men we're not exactly happy about running into these Interlopers and they got themselves on my list of Eldar that needed to be dealt with sooner or later.

The last major Eldar faction I had run into weren't really a faction per se, more of a group with similar ideas. Those generally went by the term Exodites Eldar, meaning those who had left civilization and returned to the wilds to live like their ancestors or more precisely like primitives .

I had had a conversation with several Exodite leaders, they often had different terms for how they controlled their people but from my general understanding of these talks they had left because they had seen that Civilization had led their people to. Whatever craphad happened resulted in the creation of some entity in the Warp that they refused to elaborate on. I was unwilling to push on since I'd rather not deal with any entity in the Warp.

They were, as far as I could see, no threat to humanity. They preferred planets that humanity would have no interest in and there were hundreds of thousands of worlds in the Galaxy, many of them in less harmful shape to humanity than the ones they chose. Many of their planets reminded me of Fenris, which I suspected might have more to it than just a reminder.

So I worked out a few deals where basically we would leave these planets alone, at least as far as I was concerned. Those worlds within my sphere of influence would be left alone though trade ships might come by but, as far as I was concerned, the Imperium had no interest in those planets. There were plenty of other fishes in the space sea and something told me that reenacting Vietnam across several jungle planets with populations of near immortal beings that could put a spear through Ceramite armor would not be fun.

There would probably be problems in the future but I was sure there'd be able diplomats to work them out. As time went on there would probably be some resources found on those worlds that would draw our notice, something that would be useful for the Galaxy as a whole, and we would not be able to get enough through what was basically subsistence farming and gathering, which was the majority of methods used by these Exodites in order to make as much of a challenge of their existence as possible. When that happened most likely we would have to negotiate again,

But a recapping of campaigns had to end sooner or later. After I brought the Emperor's peace to quite a bit of local space and areas nearby I had gone off to have a bit of a rest and recruit new forces. That had lasted a year and a half and now we were on our way again: we built up our forces, switched out some Grand companies for others. We had also picked up the first batch of what I was calling the New Valkyries, women who had undergone the process developed by my wolf priests to enhance them with my genes so they may live for longer and become more resilient to the environments that we'll experience.

Just because a logistics core was supposed to take over the rear lines didn't mean they should not get some sort of improvements for fighting. Considering they were not Space Marines they did not fall under the category the Emperor was unhappy about, I'd written one or two letters about the situation and he seemed annoyed with it but was going to let my exploration of the Primarch genes continue.

We'd also picked up some new armor for them as well as some more equipment. The forge world that had been created out of the Moon of Svellgard was producing quite a lot of equipment nowadays, not to mention the orbital industrial complexes I brought in. I'd brought in what was called a Star Fortress for protection of my world, a literal miniature Moon. The enemy would have to fight its way through before even trying to land on Fenris. If the enemy didn't somehow defeat the fortress, which looked to be a hard thing to do, its weapons would be able to open fire on their ships and prevent them from getting any easy landings.

I was already looking into getting another one because if you're going to have one defense line you might as well have two, not to mention that some reports of fighting in the Galactic North of Fenris were getting a little bit louder.

They hadn't called for direct help yet but I figured it would be not too long from now before my forces would have to be rerouted to whatever was going on. Until then I had gone forward with my newest mission, gathering my Legion and my Valkyries and some Imperial Army regiments from various local Imperium planets. I began preparing an expedition to the Galactic North so i could see if my help was needed around the region.

That, however, was interrupted by a message from the Emperor asking me to head North nonetheless, just a little bit further West. Apparently there was another Ork Waaagh on the way.

Seriously, the Orks seemed to be the most common adversary amongst the stars, you just could not go 10 years without running into an Ork horde. Anyways there was a Primarch I had yet to meet on route to the same system that I was heading to, I knew that because Emperor refused to give me the official name of the allied commander. His words were along the lines of 'head North and meet up with allied forces to deal with the situation, an Ork that goes by Over-Tyrant of Grel is gathering its forces to push further south. Stop him and eliminate the threat that he represents'. This task didn't seemed that complicated and I believed that it would be easy enough but you never knew with these Orks so caution was advised.

Either way Orks were a mysterious bunch, always coming up with new issues and new nicknames. I considered calling up the two planets of feral Orks for infantry support but even though I had a plan to use it once in a while those were operations where I would be low on support. In this case I had plenty of support with another legion on the way and might as well not aggravate other legions by showing my willingness to use underhanded tactics.

I was somewhat interested to run into another Primarch, knowing only four of my potential 19 siblings was in my mind preventing me from building out my network of contacts within the Imperium. If I wanted to achieve a successful place for Fenris when this was all over I needed to have as many friends as possible, as many associates and people I could count on as possible. What better way to start that than with people who would consider you family.

Blood is thicker than water as they say. While I was sure it would not be an easy process to get to that point, having that bond, that connection, with these 19 other siblings would be the best way to secure a peace across the Galaxy and a peace on Fenris so I could retire and raise wolves out in the wilderness again. This time just with some modern conveniences.

Part of me could not wait for that day of retirement, but some part of me also kind of dreaded it. Yes, not being shot at or having a sword thrown at you or an axe coming for your neck and all the other ways you can die on campaign would be good and something I'd be happy to do.

But I must admit… Being on campaign gave me the ability to see things I'd have never seen in my previous lifes. Planets with different kinds of atmosphere, strange stellar anomalies, ancient relics from humanity's golden age… And that really was a golden age, no matter how much the Mechanicus kept pushing this idea that the height of humanity's technology was the Dark Age because they feared all AI. It had been a golden age, it had been closer to Star Trek than it was now… It kind of made me miss not having been there for it but that's what we were building towards eventually, I assumed. Maybe just a little less AI but turning humanity into a reasonable controller of a portion of the Galaxy, building ourselves up into a powerful people again, this would inevitably lead us to rebuilding the Golden age.

But that was the point. Yes, my retirement was all set up for a quiet life but did I really want a quiet life after all I had seen so far? Did I want to go out there and explore the Imperium we were building when this was all over… Yes. I would have a choice when I got there and I could do both, I really did have near immortality so I would have plenty of time to make up my mind and just do both. Maybe one century I'd be a hermit and another century I'd be an explorer, only time would tell and what time would tell was still yet to be seen.

I was drawn from my thoughts as a beep came from above me, telling me that someone on the bridge wanted to speak with me. Getting up from the bed I had been laying in, Turid Ulfketildottir and Maria Hæfnirdottir rolling off me as I did, I walked over to a nearby communication unit. Pressing it, I asked, "Hello, Captain Nemmius Tetanus. What may be the reason you're calling me at this hour?.

"Primarch Russ, we have arrived in the system as ordered but apparently your sibling Primarch has already arrived with their fleet and is commencing attack on the planet of Grel."

I raised an eyebrow at that before saying, "Another one who likes to go in for an assault dead ahead? Alright." I yawned before speaking, "Contact them and ask if they need us to deploy right away or if we have time to prepare our troops for landing."

"I have already contacted them, my Primarch. The Primarch of the 14th legion has said they do not need help, they will have this situation dealt with on their own and we can sit back and observe."

"Well, well." I said with a raised eyebrow before shaking my head and saying, "Then tell them that I quite appreciate the offer to stay back but my men are restless and we will join them on the field of battle as soon as we're ready."

"Yes, my Primarch" the captain replied. Pressing a button and closing the connection, I shook my head.

Not a great start to my first meeting with the Primarch of the 14th. He appeared to be more of the standoffish 'get the job done on my own' type. Really there wasn't much I could do on that matter then. Oh, sure, I could play their game and let them have the fight on their own and that might ingratiate myself to them a bit but the fact of the matter was this was an assault on the concept of teamwork and they needed to learn to work with their siblings. This person was so obsessed with getting a job done themselves? They would just have to learn to deal with the fact that others had their own opinions on that matter.

Shaking my head I turned towards the room where two of the girls were slowly yawning and getting up ,I clapped my hands loudly and said "all right girls, help me get my armor on, we've got some Orks to do some head splitting with."

"Yes my Primarch" the trio said as they pulled themselves from the bed moving over to the machinery that made their job a little bit easier in getting my gear on. For myself I walked over into a small shower box to wash away the night sweats, and get on my undersuit that would allow me to better use my armor.

Just because I would be dropping directly into combat was no reason to not have everything perfectly arranged. Oh so since this would probably be my first meeting with that new Primarch it would mean I should probably take some time to get everything shined and polished even let the girls arrange my hair into something fashionable. It's always important to make a good first impression, and I will have a first good impression with this new Primarch, even if I did annoy them by joining the fight against their opinions.

Mortarion

The Orks scattered before our forces, retreating as my Guard pushed ever forward and slew them with Volkite and sword. I had most of my legion deployed at this point and we were making good progress in clearing this world of its infestation.

This world was once probably an agri-world judging by how flat it was and how much the land appeared to have been made such as a way to allow plants to grow, lines of trees cutting in between each farmland to prevent too much wind from causing damage to the crops or soil.

It was hard to say exactly how long ago this planet had been taken over by this infestation but it was not too long, I thought. The human population was still alive here, though a little rare, and they would be the inheritors of this dirt ball when we were done with it.

This is why I had deployed as quickly as possible when I realized that the enemy's fleet was gone. Yes that was most likely a sign that a good portion of the military power of this Waaagh was on the move somewhere else, we would need to track it down, but if we could cut off their supply point, their homeworld, from them? Well that gave us more control over where the battlefield would be as they couldn't pull away and regroup anymore. They would have to commit to whatever assault they were planning on because without somewhere where they could search for scrap for their homemade weapons they would be easily destroyed by my forces.

Plus the fact this thing was called a Tyrant kind of pissed me off. I hated tyrants. My adopted father had been a tyrant so I tended to dislike them, as well as any psykers. Not only had the pirate been one, one of my first campaigns had shown me just how desperate the psychotics could be and what mayhem and monstrosities they could unleash.

Give me my scythe and a good gun and I would kill every Tyrant I found. That was my calling as far as I was concerned, bringing these monsters who would trample on the weak and visit horrors on them just for being weak. The duty of the strong was to protect the weak as far as I was concerned, not torment them, and the things that psykers did was tormenting.

Unfortunately I didn't get to have a bit of enjoyment at the knowledge that destroying this Ork would bring down the number of psychos in the universe, everything I had been able to dig up on this 'Over-Tyrant' indicated that he was just a regular Ork. One with perhaps a bit more stress about his abilities than some others but no different than any Ork I had killed in the past. He might have escaped or he might not have, there was always the possibility that he sent his fleet away to do something else while he was still be on this planet.

If so I could not wait to track him down. Nothing breaks the Orks' ability to fight better than to see their leadership die, their morale would plunge the moment my scythe removed its disgusting green head from its body.

"Lord Mortarion?" came a voice to my left, causing me to stop my thoughts and my almost instinctual murdering of Orks that charged at our lines to look at one of my sons. By the looks of the unit markings he was part of the communications units.

"Yes, my son?" I asked, looking at him, and breathed out a bit of gas from my mask. A mixture of oxygen and poisonous air that were common on my own world, it helped me keep strong and reminded me of where I'd come from, what I was fighting for.

"The Primarch of the Wolves of Fenris reports that they will be arriving soon."

'What', I thought. "I said that we did not need their help, didn't I?" I asked, raising an eyebrow, knowing that that was probably the only thing he really could see. Unlike some I did not wear a full helmet, only a lower helmet which was my official gas mask while the top of my head was covered by a white Hood embroidered with gold.

"Yes, Lord Mortarion." The Marine said nodding before adding, "They appear to have refused your recommendation on that."

"Oh, of course they have," I said, shaking my head an annoyance while leaning on my war scythe as I did. "Figures, another one of the emperor's kids would be just as disrespectful of my own ability to fight for myself as he had been."

Shaking my head I could just envision the day I'd met that golden bastard that had been posing as some traveler come to free the planet from its necromancy overlords, a job that I had mostly done. There was only one left, the top ruler and the most powerful, hiding at the top of a mountain covered in poisonous zombies. The only reason he had not been killed was that place and, well… He had found me and raised me. And, yes, I was a bit hesitant about actually killing the man who had been my adopted father. If he had remained at the top of that mountain, I think we might have been able to come to some sort of agreement and turned that mountain into a prison that he could not come down from as the people of the valleys inherited the planet.

But I had been pushed to make an assault on that stronghold by the emperor's coming and claiming that if the people of my own world did not need his help or the Imperium then I would be able to defeat that warlord all on my own.

It was a terrible deal but I had been incensed by his behavior and let my emotions get the better of me. So I had a mounted an assault alone up that mountain, killing zombies and surviving the poisoned air as best I could as I made my way further and further up.

And upon reaching the top of the mountain I issued a challenge and failed.

My adopted father apparently had no hesitation about killing me though and was about to do it until the emperor stepped in. He blocked the blade that would have killed me and pulled me off the ground. Then he helped me kill my adopted father, never going for the killing blow himself but always driving the Necromancer towards me, towards my waiting blade and it was humiliating.

The great Necromancer did die on my blade but for all intent and purposes the kill belonged to the emperor. It was his skill, his resilience, that finally won the fight. I was just an instrument of his will in the end and it was grating on me. There, in front of my slain adopted father, he revealed information that he thought was of importance such as him being my quote unquote 'biological dad' and how he was there to bring me into his Imperium as a warlord.

There was not much else I could do on that matter at this point, I'd sworn. I knew already that if I did not succeed in killing the great necromancer alone I would swear my scythe to the emperor, so I did. Another thing that grate on me, I had exchanged one necromantic overlord for one golden overlord. Both claimed to be my father but were they telling the truth? That always was a curious thought to me. I could have sworn I'd heard another voice on that mountain, another voice claiming to be my father calling to me.

Shaking my head I focused on the here and now. I did not like my so-called family, too many of them seemed to have the opinion that they should interfere in my business and in my fights. Just the fact that this wolf was going to descend after I told them I didn't need help told me all I needed to know about them; they were another personality like the emperor.

So far the only one I found that I actually liked was Horus and that was simply because he knew how to set up a good battlefield and use my men as they needed to be used.

"Did they say where they'll be landing?" I asked the legionnaire who nodded, answering, "They plan to drop behind the enemy's current line of advance."

I tilted my head, that was rather aggressive. More aggressive than Horus' troops too. So maybe I was looking at this wrong, perhaps it wasn't that they were coming to help me but more that they enjoyed the fight.

Guess I would have to find out when I met them. Shaking my head I started moving down the line, looking up at the sky, waiting for the forces to descend. My white and green robes with gold etchings flowing in the wind as I did.

I knew wearing white was somewhat making a target of me on this battlefield but the plate armor was forged on my home world and it helped spot me out for my own men as well as the enemy. Yes most of my men wore greens of various shades along with the gold etching. Only a few heavy armor infantry units that I was experimenting with on behalf of the emperor, these Terminators, did wear white armor like myself.

So far they were rather successful units, in my opinion, and I was going to be giving the go ahead to adding them to the arsenal of things that Space Marines should have under their control. They turned an infantryman into a tank and I approved of that, as an infantryman should be able to do any role necessary on the battlefield without relying on machines that could break down or were big targets for the enemy's heavy equipment.

I did not have to watch the sky long as, soon, I saw lights moving downwards. Obviously drop pods by the looks of them. Very aggressive, not even bringing in air support? I would see though, against Orks it was perhaps unneeded here. It was very likely that these Orks did have some sort of anti-aircraft fire but drop odds were really resistant to those kinds of weapons, at least from what I had seen.

Estimating how long it would be before they landed I turned to the men and requested, "Give me a comm unit and tell everyone to be ready for an advance."

"Yes, my Lord!" the Marine acquiesced, giving a salute before trotting off in the direction of a nearby comm station. The advance had been on and off all day so we had been in the middle of a break when all this had begun and they'd already started building up a small set of structures for operational control, something that I thought was important. If something were to break through our lines and scatter us we would need to be able to fall back and reform into some sort of unit, not a hard thing since most of my men were trained not to be strictly companies but to be able to work with each other no matter what. You could take a man from company A, a man from company B and three men from company C and they'd still be able to work together to full proficiency. That was one of the ideals I had ingrained in this legion.

About the same time I saw the landing pods crashing through the sky into the Ork lines. Every Commander was waiting my order for a general advance. So I did not keep them waiting long, "Forward!" I ordered matter of factly, stepping out of the low trenches we had dug and starting to move forward at a slow and steady pace, my scythe kept at my side, appearing as the grim reaper as I moved across the battlefield with my legion to either side.

The Orks that had been facing us in their own makeshift trenches apparently were distracted for a good long while, turned to look at the spectacle opening up behind them. It was chaos from what I could see. The Ork trenches had been dug behind a tree line separating a farming territory from an orchard of some kind, overgrown with centuries of misuse.

It would appear that we were outside of some major town hidden by those overgrown orchards as they were starting to be a lot of fires through those trees, enough to determine that something massive was burning and the sound of fighting was ever growing. But the Orks did not keep their attention on the disaster going on behind them for too long as one of them spotted us marching towards them at the last possible moment and started screaming something in Orkish about a good fight. He charged out of the trench at us but didn't last very long as guns opened up on him, turning into a burning mess as Volkytes hit him directly.

Orks of course though don't know fear like humans so watching their friend turned into dust into the wind did not send the Orks into a panic. Instead they came roaring and charging out of their trenches directly at us giving us one opportunity to fire point Blank before we had to engage in hand to hand combat.

For some that might be a problem, for me it was a easy thing to deal with. My war scythe would slice through ranks of the Xeno scum and as I cleared the road for my legion they would simply follow me in, pushing further and further into the formation. Their own scythes and guns opened up as they followed me until we cut through the line meant to stop us from pushing forward into the trenches that they had dug where the greenskins that supplied the weapons of these Orks toiled. They began running in terror, mounting makeshift machine guns and firing at us.

There was no real time to pay special interest to these creatures so I allowed my men to deal with them. Instead, I pushed forward through the trees- and pushing was the correct word, my armor was rather wide at the shoulders and in a few places I had to use an extruder strength to knock over the tree to make a road.

The Marines to every side of me were doing the same, pushing over dead and young trees to try and get through this overgrown orchard until we broke through the other side. finally saw what was on fire for ourselves.

There was another open field, this one though appeared to have stopped being an open field sometime ago. Instead there was an Ork warcamp with structures that could date back to yesterday or 100 years ago made from salvaged wood and scrap metal. It was burning.

This massive war camp, at least the size of a small town, was burning at the hands of Marines in gray and blue armor. They often wore what appeared to be skins on the sides of their armor, making them look more like savages. Some of the Marines didn't even have their helmets on, revealing that they had full facial hair and unkempt hair as well.

They would not survive well on my homeworld of Barbarus, facial hair was a way to get yourself killed if you were not accustomed to have poison in your lungs as it would leave gaps between a mask and the outside air. it was the same for helmets, hair that long meant that there were probably gaps when they put their helmets back on.

Not meant for dealing with hazardous conditions, that's for sure. They were meant for what they were doing, burning things and fighting monsters like a bunch of barbarians.

Shaking my head I pushed forward, only stopping when I saw several Marines had not gone full barbarian yet. Three blue Marines were guarding what appeared to be slaves while a fourth appeared to be checking them over and unlocking the collars around their necks and giving them food.

Respectable. They may be barbarians but they looked after the weak, perhaps I would not be so annoyed with this new Primarch after all. Shaking my head I pushed forward up to a marine guarding the entrance to some bureaucratic-looking building and declared, "I am Mortarion, Primarch of the Death Guard. Where is your master so I might talk with them and discover what they know of the current ongoing battle?"

The Marine gave a salute, good old Aquila, before saying, "Our Lord Russ is through the gateway, currently interrogating the Over-Tyrant of Grel."

I raised an eyebrow, why were they interrogating an Ork themselves? Well there was actually more than just that that was interesting, I hadn't known that the Over-tyrant was close. If I had I would have pushed further, I wondered how this Primarch had known. And, to come back to it, why was the Primarch interrogating the Over-tyrant? After all, if we just killed them we'd be done with this thing and all we had to do was wipe out the remaining Ork forces.

Shaking my head in curiosity of what this Primarch was thinking I put my hand on the door and pushed it open, stepping into the chaos that was a burning city of Ork kind. I tried not to look too closely at the filthy place, mushrooms were growing everywhere and it was a disgrace in its own way, covered in filth and decay. Place probably stank hard but thankfully I did not have to deal with that thanks to my lower facemask.

Pushing my way through the chaos I soon found myself in the center of the town -or camp, whatever you prefer- looking up on what I guessed used to be the throne building of this tyrant overlord. It was currently burning as well, which was intriguing considering it looked like it was made from stone. They must have used some sort of chemical agent to spread across the roof to make sure I would burn, though how long it would burn was up in the air. Unless it burned its way into something that actually was worth burning it would probably go out after a while, just leaving a black and ruined mess.

On the steps of the House of this OverTyrant stood a crowd of Marines surrounding what I could best guess was their Primarch. From a distance I saw their back, somewhat short compared to some of the Primarch I'd met. They had medium to long blonde hair with a black fur line cape blowing in the wind as they stood over what by my guess were the remains of the OverTyrant, although at closer inspection as I pushed my way through I realized it wasn't remains. The Ork was still alive, barely.

His arms and legs appear to have been cut off. as I got closer and saw two legs standing on the ground, apparently frozen there, I realized it was more they had been snapped off.

"Alright big greeny, let's make this simple," came the voice of the Primarch as they stood over the creature, one foot pressing down on its side and a blade near its neck.

"There was supposed to be a fleet of enemy vessels in orbit and yet they're gone. That tells me that you've sent them somewhere, tell me where they are so we can destroy them."

The Ork laughed out loud before saying "Let me guess, you'll let me live."

"No, no, no. It's not that I'll let you live, it's that I won't hand you over to the Mechanicus to perform morally questionable cybernetics on you. For the betterment of mankind, of course."

"Haha, go screw yourself big booba one! Not going to tell where my boys have gone. They're going to pop up and cause so much trouble for your little Imperium that you won't believe."

"So you've confirmed they were planning to attack the Imperium… Well at least it puts what I'm doing to you down as something good after all. This galaxy doesn't need more slavers in action and it definitely doesn't need more monsters. Any last words on this situation before I call the Mechanicus to come pick you up?

"Yeah! Your brother in yellow will die screaming under the horde of Orks coming for him, Terran."

"Huh, was that intentionally telling me what's going on or were you just not thinking that through?"

"What do you mean?" the Ork said, sounding confused while still in pain.

"I mean you've told me where the fleet has gone, they've gone to our brothers in yellow. There's only, as far as I'm aware, one legion that wears yellow so all I have to do is contact them and see where they are in the nearby clusters."

"Oh… Oh fuck!"

The light blue Primarch gave out a merciful chuckle before slashing down there blade into the Ork's chest, ice quickly sprouting from the wound and engulfing the body.

Once the Ork was fully encased and dead they withdrew the blade and flicked it across the ground and the steps, sending its Gunk off it before sheathing it and turning to face me. I had a feeling when I'd seen the ice used but now I had confirmation as I saw the eyes glowing with The telltale use of magic. Another sorcerer King, I guessed. As I looked upon the face of the Primarch I knew I would just have to get used to working with monsters as so-called siblings.

Raising my hand I said "Mortarion of the Death Guard."

The light blue Primarch smiled as they tilted there head and said, "Tanya Russ of the Wolves of Fenris." They said with a nod in my direction before saying, "Nice cape."

Compliments were not something I was expecting but I said, "Ditto."

Stepping down the stones the shorter Primarch, as Tanya was shorter than me, said "Sorry about the whole coming down here without your leave but my men were restless and I prefer to get into the fight as soon as possible, especially considering there was supposed to be a fleet around this planet and we have no idea where they went."

"Wasn't that concerned with the situation myself. They're Orks, whatever fleet they've put together and sent out our siblings can deal with. The legions are strong, if we weren't we wouldn't be able to push this crusade all on our own as we have been."

"True but to pretend that the enemy cannot do things we do not expect is foolhardy in my opinion. If an enemy thinks claiming they're weak when they're actually strong will give them a better chance of winning they'll do it and Orks are more than capable of doing it. Their so called gods, Gork and Mork, are gods of brutality and cunning and though they do prefer to use their brutality in a straight fight they will use cunning and trickery when it serves them well enough." Tanya said, shaking their head as they stepped down from the last step onto my level

"Hmm, perhaps." I had yet to see this coming that Tanya feared but I may not have as much experience with Orks as they did.

Cracking their neck Tanya said, "Well, looks like we have a planet to clear out and a message to send. We will need to contact the Imperial Fist, I believe that's the name of the Marines wearing yellow, and warn them of what's coming. We'll find out the closest location of their outposts or legions. If this OverTyrant has sent that fleet away they probably sent at least half of their Waaagh with the fleet to do as much damage as possible."

"Hmm… Not nothing, Imperial Fists," I said with a nod. "Don't you think they could handle the situation on their own? After all rushing off into combat seems to deprive people of the ability to prove themselves capable in a situation."

"I'm sure they're more than capable, doesn't mean I let a hunt go unfinished. I was sent here to deal with the Ork Waaagh, I've dealt with their boss but they appear to have let most of their forces out to fight, which means I have to track them down. It's what the wolves of Fenris do, we hunt the enemies of the Emperor down." Tanya replied, as if that was the most universal rule in the universe.

"Now, once we've dealt with this planet, would you be willing to accompany me on such a mission? After all we were both given to this task, and this task has run from both of us."

"Hmm…" I gave it some thought before answering. "I guess I might as well, you've pointed out a good reason for me to join you on this gallivant across the Galaxy. I'm sure though our sibling has this situation under control."

"If he does, he does. If he doesn't, well then I guess we get to meet him. And if the worst comes to pass we get to know each other. In order to have a good working relationship we should get to know each other. After all how can we count on each other to fight by our sides if we don't know each other's tactics and ways of thinking? it's important, I believe, to build a working relationship.

I took in a deep breath of my homeworld's air before letting it out a little too hard as a puff of its escape the mask, billowing out a bit and perhaps showing my annoyance as it was carried in the wind into Tanya's face.

"Fine," I said with a shrug. "I will accompany you on this quest and we shall have a moment to talk. After all there's not much left here anyways." I said, looking around. Two legions could easily clean up this planet so leaving elements from both our forces would be more than enough.

As the smoke cleared from Tanya's face though I realized I may have unfortunately insulted them as there seemed to be a bit of annoyance now across their face. It quickly flashed away, returning to that strange smile they had but baring their fangs a bit though. I would have to be careful not to do that again as it seemed to have upset her.

"You know, most gas masks are meant to keep bad air out. I think this is the first time I've seen one that's used as a large vape." Tanya said, waving there hand to blow away the remnants of the smoke.

"Vape?" I asked, confused.

"Are you not breathing in some sort of heated mist? I did not smell any tobacco on it so I assume it's some kind of vaporizer meant to keep your throat moistened because you need to scream orders."

I blinked, a bit confused by that. I'd never considered that as a possible use of my device but it did make some sense. In some ways just breathing in the air of my homeworld to remind me of what I was here for and what I was going to be doing was not exactly necessarily the only use I could have for it. I would have to look into this vaping technology.

Shaking my head I simply replied, "It's a byproduct of my homeworld. The planet was full of poisonous air near the top layers of the atmosphere. Living in such conditions changes you a bit, makes you miss those strange gassy skies of the world you live in."

"I understand completely," Tanya said with a shake of there head before taking their thumb and showing the fang I had seen before, "I was not born with this. They grew in after living on my homeworld for a couple days, most likely this is some sort of biomechanical stuff the Emperor keyed into our DNA to make sure we would survive in whatever battlefield we came across." Tanya said with a shrug.

I tilted my head at that and looked at Tanya, finding something odd in their words. "Hmm if we were designed to be that adaptable… "I began, "Then wouldn't we have adapted to the conditions of Terra? After all, according to him there was a lab accident that sent us scattered into the winds of the Warp. As far as I can see I've never adapted to another planet since leaving my homeworld. Have you adapted to any other planets?"

Tanya stopped as they started to think about that for a moment before saying with an odd tone, "No… No I've never thought about that or had any other adaptations appear off Fenris. But that's probably because these adaptations that appeared via instinct were needed for the environment we were living in, once we acquire longevity as the emperor has I've been informed we will have more adaptation ability, up to even shapeshift. So, most likely, we will be able to adapt to the planets we are standing on."

I answered, shaking my head, "More magic bullshit. I would rather we had no such abilities."

"Not a fan of magic?" Tanya asked as they turned to me fully and sounding generally curious. I could still see that little bit of power behind their eyes and that upset me to some extent. I just didn't liked working with a mage, maybe I could explain why to this one.

"Let me tell you about my adopted father, the great Necromancer and War Lord of my homeworld, Necare of Barbarus and the horrors his kind unleashed on the people of my homeworld."

Writer's note: well another chapter another primarc, though look like it be long road for those two to get along though… though i'm sure loremasters are raising their eyebrows right now… they'll explain in the comments, I'm sure.

Edited by: Guardsman Pius, Pierre, Ernesto, Tiger sociopath
Community edited by:Anonymous, Raphael Goh
Community editable doc (Chapter) No story suggestions in the community editing document, Keep all story suggestions and comments in the thread

Supporters: Afforess, Gremlin Jack, Xodarap4, Duncan Sproule, James Moorhouse, Dankermaler, Hats88, DrkShdow, Devilstar101, Michael, Mana Rope, Falk Hüser, Silver Wolf, Mackenzie Buckle, Neso, Lmc9389, Staradder, KrasieK, Zollus, Jog256, Ethan Dowie, Maxim Blashkevych, The GrandMage, loyalChaos, Daryl, FreelancerD0, Zul The Lich, Flynn Pirola-Henderson, Retexks, John Norman, Sacha Lechelon, Ian R Major, Dale, Darth Vendar, BigKumaDM, Taylor Tilbury, Treant Balewood, Aske Helsted, James Williams, Sam, Brandon Goodman, BarrettSlayer, Guillermo Echeverria, CookieSide, D3ad0s, Pulse Rager, Daniel Quigley, Lago

Last edited:
Tanya might think what Mortarion is another example of nepotism from the Emperor - all abrasivness and strangeness of Morty can be explained by him constantly inbreathing drugs. I mean toxins 3xported from his homeworld. And later she can see how he have get his sons addicted to the same substances?

I am eagerly waiting the meeting with Rogal Dorn - will Tanya think what he can be suffering from a little bit of autism?

Not gonna lie, I thought Tanya was going to meet up with Lorgar this chapter; you used the wrong Prey, made it look like a pun.
opps haha sorry about that... hmm should i fix or leave like that... i shall think on this matter
Tanya might think what Mortarion is another example of nepotism from the Emperor - all abrasivness and strangeness of Morty can be explained by him constantly inbreathing drugs. I mean toxins 3xported from his homeworld. And later she can see how he have get his sons addicted to the same substances?

I am eagerly waiting the meeting with Rogal Dorn - will Tanya think what he can be suffering from a little bit of autism?
hmm perhaps... home world of morty i need to read up on better recently read something like it was compealty depopulated before the HH which seem odd
as for rogal autsim... guess will wait till next time to see

Chapter 38, Wolf hunting border threats
Chapter 38, Wolf hunting border threats
M30. 865

Tanya Russ

It turns out that tracking a massive Waaagh invasion fleet was quite the pain in the ass. That was something I could say with some surety. Normally what one would do to track someone would be to seek traces of their passing, or evidence of any location they might have been operating out of. Planetside this is easy because just by being there you leave evidence of your presence, in space however, you need to rely on other ships spotting something or the odd lucky find. This was, of course, much more difficult because of the sheer size of space.

Thankfully we had a context clue of the general direction the enemy fleet had gone. The only legion that wore yellow, at least to my knowledge, were the Imperial Fists whose Primarch I didn't know. Seriously, the Emperor will have to give up on this whole 'meeting each other without context' idea sooner rather than later.

Well, either way the Imperial Fists were operating not too far away from our location, mainly producing defensive works and fortifications along the frontier of Imperial Space and the unconquered regions. We're currently in newly conquered space so we're relatively close.

Apparently the orks had spotted their efforts to improve the defenses and had planned to counter-attack them across a wide front, and I mean a wide. The Imperial Fists were spread out across the entire border building defenses, and there appeared to be at least three to four different fleets attacking various areas. Those ork fleets had splintered again, attacking other areas along the Imperial Fist defenses, seeming to want to string out their lines as heavy as possible.

There weren't calls for reinforcements from the Imperial Fists so that was a good sign. Most likely they thought they could handle the situation because they had plenty of assets from the Imperial Army and the Mechanicum to supplement their legion's forces. There was quite a lot of work to be done, and we had to choose which of the four splinters to fight and even then there was a chance that more would come. We needed to reinforce the lines as quickly as possible and crush the orks once and for all on this front.

Being as it is, we had to break up our own fleet to counter the orks. I only had about half of my great companies under my control, which in total amounted to about 50,000 Legionnaires. There was also a spattering of Valkyrie units and Fenrisian guardsmen, which pushed my number of combat capable troops quite high. Granted 200,000 of those troops were basically base-line humans, but assigning them to Legionnaire units that they trained with over the last decade or so, and sometimes even fought alongside of, gave them the greatest chance of success. Now, how to break them up? There was a bit of an issue, there were after all four major battle zones. Thankfully breaking them up got a little bit easier thanks to our Allies in this war effort.

My brother Mortarion had at least 100,000 Legionnaires under his command, and was easily convinced to break his forces into chunks, 25,000 strong and send them after the larger sections. I even let him take most of the equipment and assets we'd been given for this operation to begin with, so theoretically the war should be easy for him on that front.

Although I have to admit that I got a slight feeling of uneasiness whenever I was around him.

Probably just because of the fact that I'd never seen their face. Since we met he wore a mask and hood that hid most of his face. The only thing I could tell about him was that he was taller than me and really thin. He also had a skin color that was as white as bone. Really if he wanted to cosplay as Death from that one Bill and Ted movie I'd seen in my youth he could pull it off with no issues.

He would just need to drop the armor and that voice modulator in their mask that's allowing them to be heard through whatever he was inhaling.

That was also a bit of a concern to me that I hadn't really had time to think about before. Yes, while he claimed that he needed a particular mixture of air because of where he came from, just the fact that he breathed that stuff in and out on every breath, makes me think they might actually be hooked on some sort of drug in his home planet's atmosphere, and this was some form of smoking for them, which was a terrible habit to have let alone spread.

Yes, us being superhumans made it a little bit inconsequential because of how easily we can repair the damage to our body, but the disease of cancer and other damages weren't the only things that made smoking a terrible habit, as smoke would leave stains wherever it went. Often sticky stains that would allow dirt to stick to it, making it an even more disgusting habit than normal. That might just be a bit of preconceived dislike, just me throwing my opinion out there, or perhaps I was onto something.

Either way I would keep an eye on him for the time being. After all, he did seem a bit apprehensive whenever we talked over the last week and he seemed to be avoiding me.

That in itself was quite interesting, but sadly I couldn't pay all that much attention to the issue given that we still had a Waaagh to track down.

Besides the forces that were taken by Mortarion to the Eastern frontier of Imperial Space which was currently being defended by part of the Imperial Fists, the rest would remain on Grel as they were detailed operations to remove any and all Ork spores with enthusiasm.

Which meant the only forces I could bring with me were my own forces from Fenris, so I split them into 100,000 Valkyries and Fenrisian Guard along with 25,000 Legionnaires.

Theoretically that would be enough, plus there are forces already deployed from the Imperial Fist on the ground, either some Legionnaires or their own Imperial Army elements, or at least that was what I hoped.

With my plans settled, I put an officer that was proving to be capable enough to be trusted with a position of leadership in charge of the elements being sent closer to Mortarion's forces. Commander Isulf Hakonsson of the 3rd Great Company. His record was impeccable having served with my forces since the campaign into the wheel of fire. So I thought I could trust him to navigate the political situation that would be developing there.

Said political situation I didn't know how it would shake out. Hopefully the Imperial Fists would just be happy to have reinforcements and the Death Guard would just be alright fighting alongside my Wolves, but you never know how some people would take a situation until presented with it.

My thoughts on that matter were interrupted as logistics officer Mackenzie Buckle came up next to me and said, "Primarch there is a report from the front."

Sitting down on the throne that my men insisted needed the honor of place in the Great Hall of my warship, I spoke. "Don't keep me waiting, what is this report? What do I need to know before we engage the Orks once more?"

"The Primarch of the Imperial Fists is engaged in heavy combat with a large element of the enemy ork formation at the center of the line we are heading towards, on planet Rennimar. He apparently only has 10,000 Legionnaires with him and is currently fighting a defensive action against ten times his number if some reports are to be believed."

"Well, that's not good." There wasn't much else I could say on the matter, another one of my brothers was apparently in heavy combat and needed some support. Turning to a nearby naval officer I asked, "How long will it take us to arrive at Rennimar?"

The naval officer checked something on his wrist, probably a communicator with other functions, before finally saying, "The fastest we can arrive is three weeks, two if the Warp is kind to us."

I thought for a moment about what to do before finally shaking my head and saying, "Set course for Rennimar. With my brother making a stand there, I think it's safe to assume that it possesses strategic importance, as such we must assist so the assault doesn't spill into neighboring systems."

"Yes, my Primarch!" The officer saluted before rushing off to an elevator that would take him to the bridge. As for myself I leaned back against the throne and thought for a moment before asking, "Do we know anything about the Imperial Fists? Their temperament, way of combat and other such things?"

My logistics officer shook his head and answered. "Most I've ever heard about the man is that the VII Legion hail from a world that had an interstellar empire before joining the wider Imperium."

"That's good then, it probably means that the numbers we've been given are probably not exactly true."

"What do you mean, my Primarch?" added the officer.

"Well it's quite simple. 10,000 Legionnaires to hold a planet seems like a rather impossible feat. While yes, they are the most powerful soldiers in the Imperium, you still need manpower for holding operations so presumably the 10,000 Legionnaires are just mentioning the most powerful forces on the planet. I would assume he has his own version of the Fenrisian Guard which works closely with his own Legion and assists with operations. But since they're not superhuman they're not mentioned in reports and requests for aid, because in the battlefield the Legionnaires are the heavy hitters, but because they are limited in numbers, well, the regular folk are there to hold the conquered territory."

"Makes sense, my Primarch." The logistics officer nodded his head in understanding before adding, "Although I agree with your words, I do wonder why none of the other Legions we've run into have implemented their own human auxiliary forces?"

"I wonder that myself." I muttered leaning back. I had noticed that the legions did seem to have a bit of a problem.

It was an ongoing issue where the legions, being their own capable units, were deployed to wherever they were needed, but were often paired with Imperial Army elements that had never worked with the legions, and had no option but to basically sit back and watch the legion do all the work.

From the operations I had gone out on with Horus, I'd seen him use those forces for more defensive operations than Germany probably pulled during World War II. Vulcan seems to avoid using auxiliary forces altogether, preferring to send his Legionnaires in to deal with the situation.

Khan from what I've seen was always on the move and outrunning his auxiliary. From what I had been able to see, Mortarion usually had no auxiliary forces either. Yes there were Mechanicum and Imperial army units with him now, but that was simply because we were already put together and sent on a campaign under Imperial Army orders. That didn't really mean that he had his own imperial forces.

Really, out of the Primarchs I had met so far, the only one who uses their auxiliaries in more than just a defensive flanking force or ground holding force was Perturabo, and most of the units he had were badly abused.

Perturabo was one for breaking an enemy formation with artillery, but he was also one for pummeling them until they broke down no matter what. Which meant he would send forces in charges, often fruitless charges that reminded me of World War I.

You would think that with Legion backup such operations would produce lesser casualties, but no, I'd seen the casualty reports. In fact, any auxiliary force that ended up under Perturabo's command tended to be ground down under the offensives he preferred to use, which was a problem I should really get around to talking to him about. Grinding offenses were effective, but costly, and while yes, we had the manpower to pay for such costs, it would cause problems in the future when planets that had lost their sons would be reluctant to aid the Imperium the next time we ask for reinforcements. Especially if they knew their sons' lives were being spent fruitlessly.

It had gotten so bad that the Imperial Army units had begun demanding that they weren't given to Perturabo, resulting in the more recent forces given to him being penal battalions. Units of murderers, killers, rapists and other criminals, who were good for being used in exactly the way they were used as cannon fodder by the Iron Warriors, which also was something that you had to pay close attention to.

If the Iron Warriors only ever interacted with that kind of class of person they would get a bad impression of the Imperium's regular folk, and that could lead to thinking of themselves as superior when compared to regular humans.

In my opinion, there was a benefit to working alongside regular forces that the other legions seemed to ignore; they kept you grounded and made you realize that your superhuman status didn't make normal humans unworthy or any lesser.

At least that's how I viewed things for the last 10 years or so. I had noticed that the closer my units were tied to each other, the better results we could get by cooperating. They know how to cover each other's weaknesses better because they worked with each other. Because the Fenrisian Guards were trained as Imperial Army soldiers they could better integrate themselves into Imperial Army structures meaning that there was a middleman formation between my legion and the Imperial Army, making working together a little bit easier.

Those are benefits that a lot of units didn't seem to consider. When I get the chance I am going to try and push for that to be more of a thing. It's not like there was no reason not to do this, perhaps on some of the planets like Khan and Vulcan's world there would not be enough humans to form such an Imperial Army formation, but in their case just some unit that can act as an intermediary could probably come to be. Perturabo had an entire planet behind him that was built up and producing gear for his army. Horus had one as well, though it had mostly been integrated into Earth's sphere of influence, it still was able to produce quite a bit of equipment and supply its own units.

And more importantly, according to what information I had the Imperial Fists' Primarch had an entire space empire of his own right at their back, and they weren't even the only ones! From what information I had managed to dig up there was supposedly another legion that had similar circumstances, though of course I hadn't met them yet so Father was keeping those records sealed.

The Administratum was truly effective at one thing, and that was being a pain in my ass. At times, I actually wondered if it was intentional or if Father asked them to do that.

Though that's a concern for another time. Yes, having a bureaucracy the size of a planet supporting the logistics efforts of the Imperial army and every other military force active in the Imperium was a great boon for logistics, but that didn't mean that there weren't some screw-ups or other mistakes going on.

Back when I had first started crusading alongside Perturabo, I mentioned how I had troubles with my volkite weaponry, and he brought forth a rather interesting idea of why that happened.

From his point of view the Imperium seem to have a problem with three types of individuals: xenos, who often had betrayed the humanity that existed in space and thus was why we were always fighting them across the Galaxy, religious figures, who were a common phenomenon thanks to many of the psychers shouting their own version of religion across the Galaxy, and mutants who were a common menace in the underhives of many hive cities as well as there being some subspecies of humans who probably came to be as a stable mutation.

And in his opinion my existence had triggered two of those worries amongst the Administratum. First of all my reliance on psychic powers had gotten back to the Administratum and they were not fond of that, especially considering I had benefited quite a bit from people believing I would fall in from the sky like some sort of God or such. That wasn't exactly helpful with the Administratum's opinions of me. Adding to that, well I was the first daughter, that's also a kind of mutation. Apparently I had probably just triggered the current staff to the point where they were worried that the legion under my control would not be stable. They had most likely gone out of their way to make sure I didn't get the best weapons. It was an interesting theory and I could see it.

If I had an employee who had two qualities that made him unreliable, I'm sure I would try and keep an eye on him and make sure he didn't get into too much trouble. Perhaps this was their version of that, and they were making sure that I didn't have the best weapons the Imperium had to offer. In essence, they were making sure that if I ever turned traitor or something of that nature I wouldn't get too far.

A funny notion as I don't believe anyone would turn traitor on the Imperium, but if the Administratum was worried about it, there wasn't much I could really do to stop them from doing exactly what they had done. At least it seems that after 20 years of a trial period they finally decided that I was loyal enough that sending me all the weapons I needed was not a problem. The volkite was starting to flow like water into my military forces, but I still didn't like the idea of replacing my bolt guns as well. They were just more reliable when it came to ammo usage, but I was not going to turn down a plasma throwing weapon that could incinerate the enemies of the Imperium.

Hell, if I could I would probably order more plasma guns. In my opinion they seem to be a bit more powerful than volkite but the Administratum also seems to be also less interested in producing those.

And not to mention I had noticed that my legion had a preference for CQC combat like me. Over the years they seem to prefer to get in close and beat the shit out of the enemy. In fact they enjoyed getting in close so much they were devising more and more weapons for that particular type of combat. For every Legionnaire I saw with a bolt rifle nowadays I saw some specialty weapon at their side, a sword or an axe.

With the amount of people I'd brought in to build weapons, it was no surprise that weapons are becoming a mainstay product of Fenris and its outlying planets. Most recently was the Mechanicum contribution of a new style of weapon, somewhat based on a concentration of volkite powered weapons.

Nicknamed Hell Frost weapons, that's basically what they did. They found crystals, most likely from the mountains near the top of the world, they were rare and there wasn't many of them, but enough to make a line of these weapons. I could say with some certainty that they were interesting, sending a beam of Sub-Zero energy at the Target, causing them to either freeze instantly or freeze some part of them instantly depending on the size of the Target and the size of the weapon. Some of the weapon designs were only mounted on transport aircraft, as they could be used like side guns, sending down frozen hell on anything that tried to get too close to them.

Also other designs were being acquired from across the Imperium for our use. My brother Horus preferred to use something called a lightning claw. A wicked looking thing that basically gave a Man four swords on the end of his hand. I was not really a fan of that, yes it was an effective weapon, but if it got stuck on something you're basically stuck with your hand in a wall as an enemy closes in on you. Better to have something that you can let go of and take out another weapon, than something strapped to your hand, at least in my opinion.

But some of my Legionnaires actually enjoyed them, and so they had been on a production line as well, often used by Sergeant rank and higher to the lords themselves, but instead of calling them lightning claws they were calling them Wolf Claws, and frankly I think most people just preferred them because it guaranteed a hit or if you didn't hit still caused savage damage.

Fact of the matter was most aliens you ran into didn't have very good armor compared to the Legions. Not sure we'd run into one or two aliens with something approaching armor, but in close combat it didn't matter. Especially since these blades were so sharp they often had their edges on the nanometers.

But of course that was not the only weapon to have found its way to my Legion. The Russ medium battle tanks were starting to find their way, as well a particular variant with a plasma cannon on top. It was a rather effective weapon and I had to say worked well with the guard formation, even though they were bolted pieces of junk. I had immediately asked for the welded version and not the more cheaper bolted version. They were good bunkers for the rest guard, and often were a key to holding positions in the line that Marines could not be attached to.

They were so effective as a weapon that I'd actually commissioned an even further upgraded version of the Executioner Russ, thanks to these trying to remove as many welds as possible and going to a solid cast design, and then making a design for my own Marines to use. I proposed alterations such as making more room for them to get around inside of it, miniaturization of some weapon systems and leaving out other weapon systems for room.

Theoretically they were less deadly than the russ tanks of the Fenris Guard, however if they needed to hold a position, they could hold it more effectively. I had them tested and not a lot of things could actually pierce a fully casted Russ's armor, and they were so simple to use that the internal mechanisms would not easily damage.

Heck, there was more of a chance the crew would die than the tank would, and being as it may, again since they were so simple to use, it was possible to outfit a Tanya Russ with a minimum of two Legionnaires and a couple baseline humans working together, fostering more of this message of 'We're All in This Together' between the Wolves of Fenris and the Fenris Guard.

That being said, I had also invested in quite a bit of rhinos along other heavy weapons and super heavy weapons platforms. Lots of women did like to get up and close and personal when they went into a fight, but that didn't mean that we didn't need and deserve armored vehicles that could stand up to enemies at a distance, it just meant we needed those armored vehicles to buy us the time to close the distance.

Hopefully we will get to use some of those vehicles as I hadn't had a chance to implement them in any of our combat since getting my hands on them.

It was always more economical just to drop on the enemy and start killing then to perform any long reaching tank battles.

A strange thing it was good that we had these weapons, but frankly it felt like we invented the tank, before World War I was even a thing. In most combat either we were fighting aliens that were outnumbered but had weapons that could fight us, or aliens who were outnumbering us but weapons were not on the same tier as to be a problem.

Hopefully that would continue but I always had a bad feeling that the next foe we ran into would break this status quo.

Mortarion

Slashing my scythe down severed another ork head from its body, causing it to roll around in the dirt.

All around me fighting was going on as my army, my Death Guard murdered its way through the ork hoard that had landed on this planet.

We have been here for nearly a week fighting the orks in every place they landed, mostly in the outer reaches of a massive fortress complex that the Imperial Fists had built. So far the ork had not penetrated into that complex. Our own contact with the insiders was a bit minimal. We gave them directions on where to drop artillery and they dropped the artillery down, in accurate and consistent steel rain.

I had to approve of this arrangement. Really the orks were so focused on trying to attack the rock that prevented them from getting at the civilians and eating and enslaving the population of this world, that they allowed my men to do as they wanted, moving from area to area and grinding them against said Rock.

It was a real buddy buddy sort of team work operation, and soon enough the green fungus would be eliminated from this world so we can move on to the next. We followed the orks from their home worlds to this planet as fast as possible, and the fact of the matter was that they had split up as soon as they had arrived in this area of space. Even though we had quite a large section of them sealed up on this world and were slowly killing them, there were smaller bands out there causing mayhem.

Yes, I had bits of my army out there chasing them, but it would take time to track them all down and destroy them. Time that was valuable and going to be a bit of an issue.

The only good thing was that the warboss of this band had not come with it and we had eliminated him on their homeworld. Why he had not gone with this invasion was a bit interesting. From the armies I had seen of orks before, they tended to be led directly by their warboss, but maybe he expected that those armies would be rebuffed and they would return to his homeworld, bringing more forces of the Imperium to fight him there.

I did note that while we had been on that planet there were quite a bit of fortifications so perhaps he thought he would drain us dry in the fighting there, but because he had sent out so much of his own forces to do this operation there had been no one there to secure his throne world.

I must assume he paid for a mistake he was continuing to pay for even in death, and a mistake his orks would pay for. Even if they escaped this planet and tried to return to their homeworld they would find some of my own forces waiting there to finish them off.

There would be no ork menace when this was done. These worlds would be cleansed of their disgusting flora, and these worlds would know peace under the imperium.

Bringing my scythe down on another ork that tried to spring up behind me, I turned and fired a few bolt rounds from a gauntlet into the creature making sure it was dead and watching several of my Legionnaires come up real quick unleashing flamethrowers onto the creature, burning it completely.

For once I was glad that I wore this mask. Sometimes I wondered if it was a bit much, but the fact of the matter was the smell of our work was awful and this cleaned that smell up.

It made fighting them easier, preventing their biological disgustingness from having effect on us like it may have on some of the auxiliary troops that were already on our sides while we commenced operations like this in our massive encirclement of the ork warband.

The orks hopefully would not find a way to escape from this encirclement. We had landed between them and their ships for the most part. There might have been one or two closer to the rock that they were assaulting, but the fact of the matter was it didn't matter. AA guns from the surface and our own lines should allow us to completely mulch anything that attempted to flee. These orks will be rendered into ash and through their ash guarantee that there were plenty of nutrients in the soil for the next generations of this world.

Those thoughts were getting interrupted as another ork started to come out of a trench, trying to charge me but he didn't even get a few feet before he was annihilated by my Death Guard. Their volkite weapons rendered him to dust in the wind.

I smiled at my men's work. I trained them well on how to fight in close quarters like this, and they took many of the old practices from the old Death Guard, the one I'd led on Barbaros, to hear.

Often wielding anything, even shovels in combat to such profound success that it brought a tear to my eye.

My thoughts were interrupted as a marine came up and gave a salute before saying, "My Primarch there's a ship in orbit wanting to speak to you. Orders have come through from the Emperor, the operations to destroy this infestation are now no longer a top priority. According to the emperor, the 1st Legion, the Dark Angels, request our aid in combat in the North, towards Andromeda.

I tilted my head at that. It was unexpected. I wasn't one though to leave a job like this undone. Looking over at the formation around me, I thought for a moment before saying, "Round up 10,000 Marines from this formation and another 10,000 from the formation we sent out to hunt the smaller hoard. Load them up aboard the Endurance, and we will begin operations to move to help the Dark Angels Legion."

"Yes my Primarch", he said, giving me a salute before running off.

Nodding my head, I turned back to the operation in front of me. Assuming what troops I left behind could handle it, this was pretty much already over the moment we'd killed their Warlord and we were now just cleaning up remnants of an older plan. That being said, I wonder who else would be called up to handle this problem. From what information I knew, the Dark Angels were a quickly growing legion on their way to 200,000 Marines from one report I'd read, so why did they need help?

If they were requesting help it was probably a big problem. I'll have to leave orders for every soldier who was here to pick up everything and get ready to go and join me on this next campaign as soon as they're done cleaning this up. Hopefully there would be more than just me going as well.

It gave me a bit of a pain, as I realized that probably I would have to work with the ice mage, the wolf girl as she made clear, again. Well, I would keep an eye on her. I was not a fan of her magic. Yes, though hopefully it would not be too much of a problem.

Rogal Dorn

Dead at orks for miles and miles all around the fortress. That's all I saw. The orks had been turned to dust in the grinding assault against this fortress. Their bodies splattered as if they were barrels of paint hit by a speeding rhino.

Fields around this fortress were painted a mix of green and black, both from the dead and dying of orks, and the large amount of fire we had to use to eliminate their spores. By the end of this campaign we would need to clean this entire area up. Most likely it would be all black.

The orks had come at us with everything that they had in this little fortress, but a small installation of no more than 10,000 Space Marines had held out. It brought me some pride to know what we had achieved.

There had been one or two close calls where they did get over the wall, or under it in one case, but the men had managed to hold the line and force the orks back out into the kill zone.

This planet I was supposed to be a farming world the population were nothing but simple farmers and would probably have to take a long time to recoup their losses when this was all over currently that population were stored deep within the fortress storage areas they were giving food and whatever we could support them with so that when this was over they would have something to start over with.

One small benefit from this whole conflict was the soil would probably become very fertile. After the orks were turned to ash, it would leave plenty of minerals and other nutrients that the plant life of these worlds would greatly benefit from in time, making it more productive.

At least that was the hope. There had to be some good to come from all this destruction, otherwise what was the point of holding this planet?

Granted, he knew why he was here. His forces had been positioned in this place to build fortifications not for orks, but for a coming conflict with another empire possibly to the north of the Imperium in the Halo Stars of the Segmentum Obscurus.

These fortifications were a redoubt in case advancing into their space failed. They did prove themselves capable of stopping orks this day, but they had not shown themselves able to fight the enemy that they would potentially be fighting, whatever that creature may be.

Much about this enemy was unknown simply because there were apparently no witnesses of how they actually operated. The only one who knew much about this foe was the First Legion, and they were being rather secretive about what they might be facing. Hopefully that secrecy would end soon, though if there was a reason they were keeping things secret he had a feeling that there was a good reason for it.

No one hides something for no reason. There was a purpose to this secrecy, and these aliens that apparently had caused some harm to the First Legion most likely were some sort of hazard that they were still trying to work out.

Better for them to look into it for themselves than risk other legions poking around. Most likely they had experience with the creatures, and legions without that experience could make mistakes that could make things worse.

There were also rumors that these creatures were not just one creature, but a confederation of some kind. This could be true, it could be false, but only time would tell on that matter. And time would tell, that's one thing that was always certain in the universe. If you could hold out, time would tell you what was going on.

Checking my wrist I saw that it was nearly noon. The battle today had been rather shorter than the battles we had to endure over the last three weeks. Perhaps the orks are finally running out of forces? It was possible. It took time to make more orks, even if they pretended like they had infinite numbers. It would still take them several weeks of growing to get even one of their species on this planet, and they weren't getting reinforcements out of that. Space was somewhat contested right now, but my ships in orbit were able to provide plenty of information on the situation, and currently the orks not bringing in any reinforcements. That must mean that everything here was all that they had.

I, on the other hand, had to acknowledge that more troops would be useful in this situation. Yes we had held this fortification for the last three weeks, but ammunition was running a bit low and our walls were slowly degrading under the constant bombardments from their artillery. Something would give sooner or later, so calling for help was the best option.

Of course with the entire frontline under assault, it was going to take time for that help to come. My ship, the Phalanx, was currently near the center of the line organizing efforts to resupply the front line that was under assault, so that might be a while, assuming the other legions in the area would come through. If they didn't, well I would hold this territory until every ork was dead, and there would be no step back on that.

These fortresses holding this line would be shown to be successful, and if the issue with the Dark Angels prove themselves to be as problematic as some were suggesting they would be, this line would be able to form a perfect redoubt.

And we would hold until reinforcements from the rest of the Imperium made their way here, and we could push back against whatever dark foe waited for us beyond the borders of humanity and the galaxy, really. The area of space that these foes were coming from was getting quite sparse on stars, and nearly at the edges of what was known as the Galaxy of the Milky Way.

What lay beyond those stars was a mystery, to not only me but probably most of the galaxy. Only the emperor probably had some idea, and if he did he was not talking about it.

He and I had talked long about what was to come, what the dream of the Imperium is, but he always had subjects that he liked to avoid; such as what the other primarchs were like. I had run into a few by now, so that was no longer a mystery but there were still many I had not met. Perhaps I should try and get Father to have some sort of party or something. This whole, 'we'll run into each other when we run into each other' thing was fun at first, but it's been nearly thirty years. I would like to meet the others for myself, not just depend on reports that he was obviously editing to keep mysteries alive.

I had met my brother Perturabo, who I did not agree with on some things, and I met Guilliman, who I agreed on with many things, and I had met Horus who was the finest commander in the entire Imperium. From the few times I'd met him there were still a whole 16 other siblings out there. What were they like? Yes, some of them had not been found yet, but I still wanted to meet them. They were the people I will be working with for millennia, and the sooner we got to work creating the bonds of friendship and family the sooner we would be able to work together to make sure that humanity was safe in the coming future.

"My Primarch." Came a comment from behind me, causing me to turn, and to leave my meditational state.

Standing there was Captain Camba Diaz, giving an Aquila as he said, "News from orbit. A fleet of ships has entered and engaged in combat with the ork ships above. We are waiting on confirmation on who it is but reports are that this new fleet is winning."

Hmm. This really was unexpected. I thought for sure it would take a few more weeks for reinforcements to get here. But never punch a gift horse in the mouth, or so father warned me. If reinforcements have come, reinforcements have come. "Prepare all defensive equipment to be calibrated for friend or foe identification. We don't want to shoot down our friends as they come to our aid, but also be ready to fire on any ships if these turn out to be something other than friends."

"Yes my Primarch!" the regimental commander saluted then left.

I turned away and looked up to the sky, watching it with interest and wondering who had come to this little planet of Rennimar? What force would be here to meet us in this effort to knock out the enemy?

Standing there, staring up at the sky, I tried to use as much of my superhuman vision as possible, and I could just barely make out flashes of the firefight going on in space. Who and what was being fired at was a mystery to me without more intel, but I could tell there was fighting, that was what's important. I watched for I don't know how long, as the fighting continued until the shooting stopped. At that point I figured that whoever had come had won given the poor state of the ork flee prior to their arrival. Now was the chance to find out if they were friend or foe.

I did not have to wait long as soon one of my Marines came up from the bunker that weused as the command center and said, "Sir, the Primarch of the Sixth Legion has arrived in orbit and wishes to deploy their forces to defend our castle."

"The Sixth?" I said, tilting my head in the direction of the Space Marine. I was not very familiar with the Sixth. I was not very familiar with many legions. I was really only familiar with the propaganda that the Administratum sent out that portrayed a barbarian king that conquered all they saw.

The Administratum loved their propaganda to a ridiculous degree, and had forced me to write letters to their propaganda departments on multiple occasions. Especially with the posters they'd put out a few years ago. That was meant to show off the silhouettes and majesty of the heroes of the Imperium, the twenty Primarchs or at least those that have been found to this point.

For the most part there was just symbology and an example of a marine from that unit, as well as their armor colorations, though from what I remember the Sixth Primarch's poster had gone out of its way to show off wolves on almost every piece of armor and emblem.

The corners even had wolves howling at the moon, which was funny. The Lunar Wolves were not given such artistry. I knew that the Lunar Wolves did have some wolf-like creatures as pets, though they weren't ever seen in combat so it was hard to find them. They were genetically modified wolves from Earth so perhaps there was something special about the Wolves of Fenris that had earned them this propaganda push.

I was also curious why they were also referred to as the Space Wolves in a few of the more recent posters, instead of the Wolves of Fenris. Was that name changed on purpose, or was the Administratum making some mistake? Perhaps I would talk to this new Primarch when I got the chance.

That would make them my older sibling when it came to the crusade, at least by a few years.

Well that was a relationship I would need to discuss with them when they landed.

Turning from the sky I walked past the Marine into the command bunker, and quickly made my way to a communications relay.

"Connect me to the commander of the Sixth in orbit." I said to a marine who was not busy and quickly got to work. There was a moment's wait before a connection was established and the screen in front of me turned on. Well the Sixth was an amazing sight that was for sure.

I don't know what to expect. The 'Barbarian King' was descriptive of a dirty man with much fur, perhaps some jagged weaponry at his side. Definitely a throne room that was for sure, something I'd considered a possibility after all. As a former Emperor myself I had a throne room on the Phalanx.

I got some things right. There was a throne room, brightly lit and well carved materials were used for it. The materials were finally carved from raw resources, very earthy in there being made of wood and furs, and well done. It showed a lavishness, but was not barbarous in my opinion.

As for the 'Barbarian King', it would be better to call them the Barbarian Queen. I could tell instantly that this form was female just by the front plate of the armor, which was news to me. Apparently father was keeping secrets more devastating than just who the Primarchs were. I had a sister. That was surprising.

Was this a common thing? I ran into four other Primarchs and they'd never mentioned a sister before, so it must be rare. Then again thanks to father's efforts to keep us separated, I had to maintain the possibility that perhaps the males were rare.

Why had he chosen to create female Primarchs though? The truth of the matter was the material you use to make a Space Marine would affect the outcome of the product, and well a female was less strong than a male. There was no shame in this knowledge. This was simply the truth of biology that went back millions of years and seemed to grace almost every sentient race across the galaxy, as far as I had seen.

Though I did not doubt the Father's call on this matter, I simply found it odd. If he decided that we needed a sister, then a sister we had. It was that simple.

Beyond that,the other elements of the room that were interesting. I could now see why wolves were such a motif for this Primarch. Not only were there wolves on their armor, there were two pet wolves at either side of her hands, watching the screen with her. I think she even had a wolf cloak over her shoulders.

Nodding my head to the screen, I said, "I am Rogal Dorn, Primarch of the Imperial Fists. Welcome to Rennimar. You've come at an auspicious time. The enemy has been grinding itself against our fortress for weeks now, and they must be weakened. Your forces would be very useful and finishing them off.

The female Primarch nodded, speaking in a rather cold and yet humored voice, "I am Tanya Russ, Primarch of the Wolves of Fenris. We got your signal for reinforcements 2 weeks ago, and made as much time as we could to get here as fast as possible. We have just managed to clear out the enemy forces. As far as I can see we have removed the enemy in orbit and I am preparing to start dropping my troops off around your fortification, however scans of the planet do not detect much in the way of orks left.

I blinked at that before saying, "Really now, that's unexpected. I thought there would be plenty left the way they came at us today. The satellite network around this planet has been knocked out, so we have not been able to keep track of the enemy forces. What do your ship sensors see, exactly?

"From what my men tell me there's probably less than a thousand orks across the planet. That, or they've dug down and are preparing something a little nasty. Either way, I'm sending my troops down now to start searching the area and helping your forces clean up the mess that these creatures leave.

That's very efficient for a barbarian, I noted internally before saying, "Well then your help is welcome. May you come down yourself Primarch of the Sixth Legion? I have been quite curious to meet my brothers and sisters."

She instantly caught on what I was doing, and smiled at the camera and said, If you're asking if I know about any other sisters, the question would be the same to you, so no as far as I'm aware I am the only sister, though the father has teased that I am wrong in that assumption."

"Father sure enjoys this game of his. I was just ruminating on the fact that it has probably gone on a little too long. I think we would all work better if we all knew each other." I said with a nod, seeing that my sister Primarch nodded her head in agreement.

"Agreed, though there are some benefits to this method of finding each other. We each get to make our best impression first without having siblings or the media make direct implications about who we are."

I chuckled at that, before saying, "My sister, have you seen the propaganda from the Administratum?"

She raised an eyebrow before shaking her head. "No, I found the propaganda department rather dull when they started casting me as some sort of barbarian king in order to encourage worlds that I was near to surrender. I stopped paying attention."

Oh that explained it. Smiling, I said, "Well, I'm afraid they continue to spread this propaganda of you being the Barbarian King so much so that I was under the impression that I would be seeing one when this screen turned on. I do find that what I have actually met is quite better.

Tanya seemed to think for a moment before finally chuckling and saying, "Well that's not the best outcome, but to exceed expectations is somewhat better than to have none at all."

I nodded my head at that, as that seems like a wise saying. "Perhaps so. Perhaps you should write a few letters to the Administratum. I found that they are willing to talk about their representation of you and their media if you write them enough letters."

Tanya nodded her head, before saying, "I will take that inconsideration. Who knows? Perhaps I can get them to soften the editorial portrayal they give my legion… Well, perhaps not too much. After all, if a planet surrenders before we have to fight on it, is that not better for the Imperium in total?"

"It is a worthy sacrifice. I surmise a bit of your reputation for peaceful annexation of human worlds is almost worth it. Though personally I'm against such things the truth is always better than the lies we tell."

Tanya nodded, seeming to agree on that matter, though she also had a bit of a look in her eyes that said sacrifices were required. Oh well, truth was something that needed to be mastered eventually. After all it was humanity's destiny to master truth, not to fall into lies.

Tanya finally rose from her seat and said, "Well, I think it is about time that I get down to the planet and we meet in person. After all there's many orks to kill and little time to do it. See you down there, brother."

"In a bit, my sister." I said. I stood and turned, heading back up out of the command bunker.

But my return was stopped as another Marine popped up, saying, "My Primarch, we just got another beep. It looks like another fleet has entered the system. They are moving at a slow pace and do not appear to be threatening. They are identifying as friendly and they're taking a long time to approach, though."

"Hmm. Curious." I said. Who else had come to this little world, I wondered? Turning to the Marine I asked, "What does their identification say? Which legion do they come from?"

The Marine looked at the console for a bit and typed a few things, seeming to be a bit confused, before finally saying, "It looks like it's the Second Legion's capital ship, my Primarch."

Hmm an unexpected boon. Another Primarch why were they coming in slow, though? That was a bit weird, but I would worry about that another time. At this range the vox communication would not be instantaneous, so I told the Marine what must be done. "Send them information on where we are and what's going on. Inform them that the Sixth Legion is here as well, and that we are preparing to finish off the orks on the surface. They are welcome to join us as soon as they arrive in orbit."

"Yes, my Primarch," the Marine said, giving a salute before I left the bunker. I looked up at the sky again, and watched many vessels descending from high orbit.

By my calculations there's probably somewhat close to several hundred vessels coming down, probably carrying ten Marines or more each. Perhaps twenty. That meant that the first wave would most likely be around 10,000 Marines, a compliment to my own number and who's to say that that was all that was up there? I couldn't guess exact numbers, but I could assume there were probably more Marines than that, and maybe they had Imperial Army forces with them? I didn't have any with me, just my Space Marines and that was enough in most cases to do the job, there was no need to endanger the mortals more than necessary in my mind.

Space Marines were built for war. Others were not.

Tanya Russ

Okay, color me impressed, I thought as I looked around trying to find any orks. The last 4 hours my men had been deployed to this planet searching for well or their spawn. The problem of course was they were all dead. There might be some around here somewhere, but they were obviously broken off from the main group and it would take time to hunt them down.

Surprisingly, hunting down an orc that didn't want to fight was a lot harder than most would think. Perhaps it was just a simple mind switch that you need to learn, since you were so used to having orks charge at you without any sense or goal.

Well, either way the situation remained the same. The ork population was nearly gone. Apparently they had butchered themselves attacking that fortification until there was nothing left.

An entire army sent itself to death fighting against a fortified compound and lost. We weren't needed. In fact if anything, I'd say we were well and truly late for the party. The Imperial Fists knew their business and had ground the enemy down on their fortifications and for that I had to be impressed.

Their legion must be very good at defensive operations. No wonder they've been given this goal of building these rear line fortified areas.

I couldn't help but wonder what else they were good at and what useful skills my could men gain from them?

When I got the chance I would have to talk to Dorn and see if he would be interested in some tactical exchange; see if we couldn't set up some units working with each other. Actually, really I should see about doing that with all the primarchs. The more skills that we all could do somewhat decently, the better.

But that would wait. Right now I was tracking my way across a burnt out hill towards said fortification, a literal castle of stone and iron built for one goal and one goal only. To drain ork lives by the boatload with volkite, considering how much of the ground around the fortification was darkened with ash.

Territory around here basically reminds me of a World War I battlefield, with the amount of pockmarks and mud mixed with ash there was.

And even with most ork's dead, the ground stank with their filth. People would probably have to dig up the mud and make sure the bodies were burnt underneath it, as I'm sure those would turn into spores with enough time and if didn't do our job right.

Shaking my head, I was coming up to the top of the next hill when I saw two things of interest. One, my newly discovered brother Primarch Dorn kicking some dirt as he looked across a dead body of an Ork. Apparently he'd come out with some of his Marines to make sure that everything was burnt down and nicely destroyed. Not seeing him through a camera, I realized how tall he was compared to me. Again this issue of being a female Primarch leading to me being shorter was a bit of annoyance, but what could you do? The other thing was that while his Marines were wearing yellow, he was definitely wearing goldish armor which said a lot about him in my mind. A similarity between him and Father, and their choice of colors that they preferred to wear.

I didn't really put much thought into that for the most part. After all, I wore light blue gray because it was simply the clan color of Russ and somewhat matched the snow of Fenris thanks to its blue sun.

Perturabo wore gray, but that seemed to be more of a canvas for the mud of his conquest as he didn't do a good job cleaning while on campaign, and it allowed the armor to quickly be covered in soil providing some camouflage. Vulcan wore green and I did not know why. I should probably ask him when I got a chance. As for Mortarion, he wore a different green thatt seemed to match the natural colors of most planets, so perhaps he was looking for a bit of camouflage as well.

Dorn wore yellow and gold which drew eyes to him, perhaps as a way of keeping men aware of his location, perhaps simply because it was his favorite color. Perhaps there was a lot of Yellowstone on his homeworld. I would have to ask him when I got a chance.

Of course that was just one of the things I spotted. The other was a man in red armor, a marine to be more exact, though his armor was not a color I was familiar with. It was mostly black and red etching, and had a strange, yet somewhat familiar symbol on the shoulder plate. I couldn't recall where I'd seen it before, but it looked a bit like a flower if you were to look down upon it and it was highlighted by a gold color. Most marine legions I'd seen so far preferred two color tones, though I guess with there being a possibility of 20 out there you would have a few that would go one color more just so they could differentiate themselves better.

Shaking my head, I quickly jogged over at a leisurely pace to my brother Primarch and this unknown individual, men giving away as I approached. My two wolves were quick at my heels, following behind as well as several marines that had been hunting orks with me.

Whatever was going on, I should find out why there is another Marine legion poking around here, and this would be the first meeting with my newest brother Primarch so I should do my best to greet them and get to know them.

"Dorn!" I said as I got into the talking distance and he acknowledged me with a nod before saying, "Russ, good to finally meet you in person. I've just been getting a report that the First Legion is calling for reinforcements on the Northern frontier."

I nodded at that before saying, "Well my men are more than willing to pick up and get going. Everything here is almost completely killed. Leave a thousand Marines behind and they'll track down the running orks and finish them off."

"I'm thinking the same, though it will take time to get one of my ships in orbit to pick up most of my Marines. Do you have room on your ship for at least five regiments of Marines?"

I nodded before saying, "More than enough room my brother. Who is this?" I said, indicating the still unnamed Marine.

"A representative of the Second Legion, he's actually asked us to come aboard his ship so we can explain the situation in detail."

Well, a third brother, I thought. This could be nothing but fun! Smiling, I said, "That sounds like something I'd be willing to do."

Dorn started walking towards the ship that the unknown Marine had come down on, and I followed behind quickly, telling one of my Marines to inform the Captain of the Hrafnkel of what was to happen.

Two brothers in one day, this was going to be an interesting conversation I think.

Writers note: Hey a chapter actually came out! Really have to thank Ernesto Aviles, Y1 they help me get this in to realsable shape i'm sure we missed few things but hey that life. So chapter there rogal, but surprises? Another brother the second? I wonder what we shall see with this indavigle?" also feel free over edited in document or join the fan discord where i caontniung to work on this.

Edited by: Guardsman Pius, Ernesto Aviles, Y1
Community edited by: Edwin Kang, Nicolas Waters
Community editable doc (Chapter) No story suggestions in the community editing document, Keep all story suggestions and comments in the thread

Supporters: Afforess, Gremlin Jack, Xodarap4, Duncan Sproule, James Moorhouse, Dankermaler, Hats88, DrkShdow, Devilstar101, Michael, Mana Rope, Falk Hüser, Silver Wolf, Mackenzie Buckle, Neso, Lmc9389, Staradder, KrasieK, Zollus, Jog256, Ethan Dowie, Maxim Blashkevych, The GrandMage, loyalChaos, Daryl, FreelancerD0, Zul The Lich, Flynn Pirola-Henderson, Retexks, John Norman, Sacha Lechelon, Ian R Major, Dale, Darth Vendar, BigKumaDM, Taylor Tilbury, Treant Balewood, Aske Helsted, James Williams, Sam, Brandon Goodman, BarrettSlayer, Guillermo Echeverria, CookieSide, D3ad0s, Pulse Rager, Daniel Quigley, Lago, CB-Otaku, Shurukkah, Adam Daw, Michał Kotuła, Louis Kasser, Arkhad, Tree Man

Last edited:
What does gender have to do with gene mods, when those include bone and muscle density.
Will Tanya consider augmenting regular humans with inheritable mods for longer and healthier lives?
Imperial Guard could also use military mods that don't kill the subjects like Astartes mods.

Those should've been a thing well before the Federation, yet everyone is still a regular old human in the future, probably coz it's an old sci fi.
The numbers seem off to me, there should be a trillion of IG soldiers and 1 or 2 Astartes for a thousand of those.

Last edited:
Chapter 39 The Wolf , The Wall, The Warlord?
Chapter 39
The Wolf , The Wall, The Warlord?

Tanya Russ

Meeting another sibling so quickly after Dorn was unexpected; usually there was at least a couple months in between meeting them. In theory this wouldn't be that different, but in practice a new co-worker being added to the group months into the project rarely worked without friction. I should know, I had to deal with the complaints. New hires always upset the dynamics for a short while as all sides got to familiarize with one another.

That being said, as the shuttle I was in transporting us to the second Primarch's Gloriana battleship, the Quiet Thunder, I'll be sure to keep my eyes open to try and learn as much as possible about this legion and the people who serve under it. After all, the more info I could gather the better of an impression I could possibly forge with them, at least that's how I thought.

I'm sure Dorn was doing the same, I think he is as interested in these Legionnaires as I am. With each of us we brought a section of our crew: he brought four Marines of his legion while I brought three Marines and a member of my Valkyrie. To be more exact, Lord Wolfen, or Little Tanya as I noticed some of my Marines said behind her back. I couldn't exactly blame them for coming up with that nickname, she was nearly an exact duplicate of me, only shorter. Currently her face was hidden behind the valkyrie helmets that had been created by Miss Adelheid, with a wolf's head and attached pelt draped over her shoulders and head to act as a cloak and signify her status as my Adjutant.

She's been training with the rune priests and myself, and was officially part of their order, even if she wasn't an official member of the Space Marines. She does, however, make an ideal go-between for the more human Rune Order and the marines. As a result, she had a sort of non-official role in my command.

Besides her, I'd also brought along Logistic Commander Mackenzie Buckle. Unlike theother two regular Marines that were my honour guard sent by my First Great Company, Buckle was a so called 'Tanya' variant. These poor employees had inherited my logistical ability but also my appearance, leading to the unfortunate nickname. 'Tanya' would soon appear as often as 'wolf' in the reports.

Who Dorn brought was probably someone similar to me, officers that were important to the day-to-day operations of his legion, and two guards. I wasn't very familiar with his legion or who was inside it yet, I only knew what he had allowed me to see from the Fist's deployment on the planet of Rennimar.

And I will say it again, what I'd seen was a force capable of holding a fortified position well past the point of butchering the enemy trying to defeat them. Not to mention the man was built like an implacable wall. He took the reveal of a daughter of the Emperor pretty well. Granted, many of the legions so far had taken it in their own passive indifferent ways, besides Mortarion who seemed to have cared not at all, Dorne was really the first one to just shrug and go with it.

Meanwhile, Horus and Perturabo had all been shocked in one way or another, and Vulcan had been more than accepting, which was the opposite of uninterested but not quite the same as just accepting something as it is.

All in all I have had six interactions with six different Primarchs. Every single one had a slightly different reaction to the realization they had a sister. I wonder if I would get another unique reaction with this Primarch, as the shuttle finally came to a stop aboard the gloriana class battleship.

A Marine, whose name was Sueaki, welcomed us aboard. "Follow me to the Primarch's court." As the door was lowered everything looked as official as it should have been for this kind of situation. The main docking area reminded me of my own Gloriana, with Marines moving about gear, as well as hundreds of human personnel helping in their own way. I took a few steps out of the ship and looked around, noting quite a large amount of tanks to one side of the docking bay and enough transports to launch them all at once.

This was somewhat odd when it came to deploying vehicles, those were usually the second line of deployment because Marines could land easily enough and secure their landing site on their own. The only reason you would have that many tanks out is if you did things the other way around, tanks first or perhaps a combined mix of tanks and infantry. If this Primarch favored tanks that would make some sense, after all, every legion had something they were naturally good at.

Mine was good with closing distance and CQC, Dorn's were good at defense, Perturabo preferred siege and force recon, Horus in applying pressure and battlefield manipulation. And Mortarion seemed to favor a slow and creeping advance of infantry, And I think I'd actually seen less tanks with his forces.

So it made sense that this Primarch favored tanks just based on the amount of equipment I saw.

Of course, that wasn't the only thing I saw. Sure, big tanks kind of draw your eyes, but the little things can do the same if you're perceptive enough; especially when it leaves you a bit confused, stumped and wondering why there are so many people with cat ears and tails around.

About half of the humans appeared to have cat ears and tails, or at least what looked like cat ears and tails. Either way, that was still quite a lot of them. So, this seems like a stable mutation that had been allowed to take up service within the Imperium.

Still, it was unsettling to see neko-mimi people of all things walking around, as if it was an everyday thing. My eyebrows were well and truly raised.

"Hmm, there is something strange about this ground crew, but I can't seem to put my hands on it." Came Dorn's voice, causing me to look at him wondering if he was blind; though the smile on his lips told me that this was some form of joke.

Chuckling, Marine Sueaki of the Second Legion said, "When we first met up with our Primarch, we were a bit confused when we ran into them. The planet seemed to have been divided evenly between these felinids and the more normal humans. Mechanicus was going to throw a fit when they first saw them, but the Organicists discovered that they were a stable human strain. And since our Primarch is good friends with many of the leaders of the cat people, they have to let it slide.. Oddly enough, not so much with the local humans." The Marine said as he led the way.

"Why is that?" Dorne asked as we followed the Marine across the landing area towards a hallway that probably led towards the central elevator.

The Space Marine shrugged before saying, "He was raised by them, from what I understand. The planet was based heavily on a class system, with the extremely poor and beast folk being at the bottom, so when our primarch landed on the planet they were the ones who found him."

I nodded my head as I said, "First people who found him, first people who showed him kindness, and so a bond was formed right?"

The Marine nodded saying, "Exactly, he helped them conquer the wilderness that they lived in. And when the humans tried to undo his progress, he defeated them."

"That sounds like a story that I would like to hear." Dorn said, though I didn't care that much myself. I wouldn't mind listening, but Primarch's stories all pretty much seem to have the same beginning, middle and end. Land on a planet, join the people that showed you the first kindness, conquer the planet, meet the emperor. I'm sure that it worked out very similarly for the Second Legion's Primarch.

My wandering eyes found something strange as we continued down the hallways. Much like my own, this ship's bulkheads were decorated with wood carvings. They were still bulkheads in between the sections in case of an emergency, and this ship was similar enough in that regard.

What drew my eyes was that each bulkhead had been painted a strangely familiar red, going up the sides and across the top and having a very rounded exterior to the edges.

It reminded me of a Japanese temple entrance, which was odd. When I looked at the Second Legion emblem again I started to get a feeling that I might have more of an idea of the current situation than I wanted to admit.

But, I would withhold my estimation until I met the Primarch of the Second Legion, which reminded me.. Making a coughing sound, I asked, "What is the official name of the Second Legion? I've yet to see it in a report."

The Marine stopped as we came to a door and he pressed the button, obviously calling down an elevator before turning and saying, "Officially, we're going by the Flying Castle. We always use a lot of armored warfare and drop ships to bring it in, so it kind of works for us. Our Primarch is considering renaming the legion but for the moment, he's more interested in getting the job done then worrying about the semantics around it.

I nodded my head to that, as I could quite get behind such ways of dealing with the world. Details sometimes didn't matter, what mattered was getting the job done; and if they wanted to get the job done, I didn't mind if he happened to name his legion after a Flying Castle. The name vaguely reminded me of Howl's Moving Castle… Probably unrelated. Probably. Hopefully.

Shaking my head, I was about to say something when Dorn spoke up. "While Flying Castles is not a bad name, it doesn't really fly off the tip of the tongue very well. I will speak to him on this matter when I get the chance. I'm sure we can come up with something better."

I shrugged. If Dorn wanted to get this Primarch to think of a better name, that was his prerogative. Personally it didn't matter that much, though I guess Flying Castles doesn't exactly sound as impressive as the Wolves of Fenris and the Imperial Fists, but in my case I could say that I had named my group. After all they had been originally called the Route, and that wasn't exactly a stellar name. I dare say it was a terrible name compared to the Flying Castle.

The elevator arrived and we both stepped on along with our Marines. It was a large area, definitely meant for a Primarch to be allowed in, though I would note it wasn't exactly the most comfortable fit for Dorn, he did have to lower his head a bit.

I fit, thankfully, so it was no concern of mine; but I wondered if the Primarch had the same issues, or if he was around my range in size. It would only have to be about a foot shorter than Dorn to fit comfortably so they probably were a foot taller than me.

Before I could ask more question, a door was open ahead of us; revealing answers to many of my questions, while creating new ones in the process.

Before me was a throne room not too dissimilar to my own, except while mine was based on hardy Fenrizian viking stylizations of runes and visual representation of combat, the one before me appeared to be based on culture of Japan. There were many paper thin panels with beautiful artforms depicted in medieval Japanese style.

The style of clothing worn by the Marines, who were currently having what appeared to be a small but honored meeting, was very Japanese as well, reminding me very much of depictions of samurai Daimyo from the 15th century.They were even sitting to either side with low tables in front of them, enjoying drinks poured exactly like I would expect from a samurai drama.
All in all I think I figured out that yes, there was a Japan preserve, and the Primarch of the Second Legion had landed there.

Well, that was something I would have to file under my 'things I did not expect to come across, but had' category. Although looking at the head of the two tables at the throne room added more things I did not expect to find.

Laying there without a care in the world was obviously a Primarch, about 11 ft, and completely relaxed with his head vertical to the entrance so we could get a good look at his size.

He had the same skin tone as Khan. Though where he wore jackets and kept his hair up into a top knot, this man was barely wearing half a shirt and had a lot of wild untapped hair that was currently being brushed by probably the plushiest woman I'd ever seen, who was offering her lap as a pillow for the man's head. Oh, and if that was not insane enough on my scale of things I did not expect to see today, you could add to it the fact that said woman was in mico robe, and had at least one foxtail. There might be more, I couldn't tell from this angle and it could just be decorations on the back of the Miko robe, but there were definitely fox ears on that girl's head.

I was left rather stunned at the whole sight before me, but it can only get worse from here. That's what my mind was telling me as I watched Dorn walk forward first, heading towards the man lazily styling himself a Shogun.

"Brother, it's an honor to meet you." Dorn called, as he made his way forward at a steady pace. Said brother turned his head to look in our direction, not even moving from the lap he was relaxing on before smiling and finally starting to get up, pulling himself into a seated position.

"Brother, and sister, I've been expecting you." He said with a rather calm but commanding voice. "Well, come forward, Wolf Girl. You must be a Primach, otherwise you wouldn't be as tall as you are. Let's get down to business, Father sent me here to get you up to date on the current situation, and there's not much time to waste as the Dark Angels are fighting a delaying action."

'Wolf girl?' of all the things I've been called, I did not expect that from a Primarch. Have I ever been called that before? I don't think so.

Shaking my head, I approached my newly met brother, "I'm Tanya Russ, of the Wolves of Fenris. Wolf Girl is an unneeded title."

The master of the Second Legion cracked a smile at that, "Very well, Tanya, good to meet you, and you must be Dorn of the Imperial Fists, of the planet Inwit."

"That would be correct." Dorn said as we came to the edges of the raised platform and he began looking around for a place to sit.

Being that I could see the way how the leaders of this legion were kneeling and had some understanding of ancient Japanese customs, I understood right away that we weren't actually going to get any chairs. So in a rather simple motion, I just sat down on the ground, legs crossed before me.

"Please take a seat, Dorn. I'm afraid the customs of my world aren't exactly in favor of being too far off the ground, too much chance that the chair will break." He said with a smile, obviously making a joke at the size and weights of the Marines surrounding him, and it seemed to amuse them. Without waiting for Dorn's response, he pressed the button in a large pillar that had risen from the floor near him, and a halo map of the Galaxy appeared.

"Ah, yes. I nearly forgot." The dark haired Primarch said with a smile before continuing, "I am Nobunaga, reincarnated demon king of Zipang."

"I'm sorry, reincarnation?" Dorn said as he raised a skeptical eyebrow.

"Yes, reincarnation. We're all reincarnations of some great hero from the past, are we not? I believe so. At least our sister here is probably one from far off Scandinavia, based on the taste of her people I would assume; and you perhaps somewhere in Germany, based on your reports I've seen."

"Reincarnation is not real, it's never been real." Dorn said with such certainty that if I hadn't known that it was a thing I wouldn't question it. I wisely kept that to myself as I was still trying to figure out if I was dealing with the actual Nobunaga sitting in front of me, or if the Primarch was insane. Neither one was really a good option.

Nobunaga for his part simply shook his head at Dorn, before saying, "Brother, we exist in a universe with thousands of aliens fighting creatures and monsters beyond our understanding, and you don't think reincarnation is real.?"

"I understand the universe fine enough." Dorn said with a shake of his head, "It works on principles of biology and mechanics, and that's all I need to understand."

"Yes, and what about the warp?" Nobunaga said with a keen eye focused on Dorn.

"My understanding of the warp may be lacking, but I don't need to understand it. Ships travel through it, we fight occasional boarders from this dimension, and that is all that I need to know. Father and Malcador can handle everything else."

He wasn't wrong with that; I mean yes, you could stand to know more, but , it would only make the worrying worse. It might be preferable for most to not know much more about it.

I was going to keep my opinion shut on the matter, except Nobunaga noticed my silence, "And what about you, sister? What is your opinion on reincarnation? Do you feel some ancient spirit of the Scandinavian warrior inside of you?"

I stifled a laugh at that, before clearing my throat, "If reincarnation is real, there's no guarantee that our souls come from regions that reflect our original home. For all we know, if I was reincarnated, I might be from the ancestral home of the people of this Zipang, I think you called it." If memory serves, there was a long running alternate history manga about people from the modern age trying to stop World War II from being as bad as it was, perhaps creating some sort of peaceful version of Japan called Zipang. Even before my death, I wanted to catch up on that story.

Nobunaga looked me up and down before shaking his head saying, "I don't see it. I mean, I was that one time, but no, no. I don't think so."

"One time?" I asked with a raised eyebrow. I was trying to get some clarification. "How do you know you're a reincarnation?"

"Oh, it's quite simple. I have read the history books my people keep, and there was always this story of a warrior coming back to try and help his people. Sometimes he knew what was happening, sometimes he didn't, but his goal was always to unify his homeland. The similarities were close enough that it was obvious. Granted, I never was completely the same. In fact there was one time this warrior was a blonde girl like you, but they called her Nobunaga nonetheless."

My eyes slowly creeped open as I realized I knew what he was talking about. There was a damned anime that came out a year before my death about a female blonde Nobunaga. He wasn't reading histories, he was reading manga that had been misinterpreted as histories! The chances of him being the true Nobunaga had gone down, but if he had modeled his life off the interpretations of a manga, that would have made him a bit more dangerous.

A general weeb in control of an army, modeling himself off an ancient warlord, was probably not the greatest thing to have running around. Not to mention the original Nobunaga was always trying to become de facto Shogun and/or Emperor of Japan, depending on the interpretation. What happens when the Galaxy is united under the Imperium, but he's not the leader?

Concerns for later. For now I simply shook my head and said, "It may be that the idea of reincarnation is not as well studied as it should be. For now though, what's this about the Dark Angels?"

Nobunaga nodded his head, before waving his hand over the hologram. Apparently someone was off to the side running a panel and was just watching what we were doing as the hologram changed to show lines of contact between a blue and black force spanning most of the northern regions of the Galaxy.

"As the Primarch of the Dark Angels has suspected, the enemy is a more enlarged force of Rangdan, the same enemy his forces encountered in this region a decade ago."

"These aliens apparently have large stocks of mercenary orks and other species under their command, and are rampaging throughout our space; but they also have their own unique technologies and horrors they've unleashed as well. So far, the Dark Angels have done their best holding the line, but they have a breakthrough here, here and here." He indicated three areas within the north, one of them seemingly heading to Fenris. My concerns were immediately towards that particular hole in the line. I have to send a message back to Fenris so they get their forces ready in case anything pushes further south, or so my armies could move North to reinforce the line. Either way something had to be done about that.

"About a fourth of the legions have been called up for this conflict," Nobunaga continued. "We're to secure the Dark Angels line wherever we can. The Death Guard is already on the way, along with the White Scars and, of course, my legion. Your legions will be joining us as well, so that'll be six legions deployed along with the Emperor himself as reinforcement, with more incoming as well."

"That's a lot of manpower." Dorn said, stating the obvious. It caused me to raise an eyebrow at him again. He seems to have a personality quirk where the obvious needed to be stated. I wonder what other personality quirks he has that I don't have to deal with.

Nobunaga nodded his head in agreement, "Our latest reports indicate that the enemy has quite a substantial force at their disposal, enough that we'll probably be fighting them for the near future."

"Unfortunate." I said with a shake my head, "A prolonged war in the North is a waste of resources, considering that it is not the most well settled of regions."

The Primarch of the Second nodded in return before adding, "That may be true, but we can't leave a flank open like that, especially with the rumors going on that something uncanny is happening on the worlds that these creatures have taken over."

"Rumors?"

Nobunaga nodded his head. "Reports are a bit muddled at the moment, but the Dark Angels have reported that they've been fighting Imperial citizens that appear to have lost control of themselves."

"Mind control?" I asked.

"Possibly. How they're doing it is a bit unknown at the moment, but it's got a bit of unrest going on in the Imperial Army. They're worried that if they send more troops into the region, we'll just end up feeding more soldiers to them."

"I imagine the Mechanicum has a similar opinion on the matter," Dorn said with a nod. "They are just as human as the imperial army, and so they would be understandably weary of sending their own troops into the region, let alone possibly supplying the enemy with additional technological resources."

"Hmm, meaning that this will mostly consist of Marines as the main fighting force, until we can figure out how they're doing this." I said, leaning back in thought. "Without the manpower support of the Imperial Army and the Mechanicum, we're going to need to play the long game. Delaying them as long as possible while we try to gather as many samples of their equipment, tech, and personnel as possible to send back for study; and hope that we find out enough to create countermeasures."

"Exactly what Father said." The Primarch of the Second's nodded before adding, "Though he does believe that some of the Imperial Army could possibly be deployed to the second line fortifications that Dorn has been building here, so his men can be freed up to progress to the contested region."

Dorn nodded, saying, "More men in the forward lines means less likely they'll break through to the rear lines." Of course that's a risk. If they do manage to break through and spread whatever mind control they have to the forces behind us, we now have an enemy blocking our logistics line."

"It is a risk, but what if we put into place proper quarantine procedures between planets on this back line? Might be something we can pull off. No transferring units without confirming that they haven't been anywhere near the frontline." I said, rubbing my chin as I thought.

"So long as we are careful." The Second said with a smile,, "We should need to figure out how we're going to deploy our forces. The situation to the north is ever changing, though there is one key point right now." He pointed to an area in space bringing up what appeared to be a Forge World. "This is the Forge World of Xana, it is on the front line and our lynch pin that holds the entire defensive line together; and it's currently being defended by detachments of the White Scars and the 19th Legion as well as local Mechanicum forces. So long as this planet stands, we have a supply point for the entire front. From what I understand, the Primarch of the First, Second and Mortarian of the 14th Legion are going to be gathering their forces there to defend it, and subsequently break the current eighth month siege of the system."

"Eight months?" I said, raising an eyebrow. How come we're just hearing about this now if it's been going on for at least eight months?

"Technically the war's been going on longer." The Second said with a shake of his head. "The First believed they had control of the situation, and the Emperor believed them. Credit where credit is due though, when they realize they don't have control, they do sound the alarm eventually. Just, well, it took them a while to realize that they needed the help."

Oh that wasn't good. A stubborn brother was probably a prideful brother. It was likely he hadn't called for help because he thought all the glory should belong to him. Gloryhogs are always a problem. I'll have to keep an eye on them when we finally meet.

Pushing those thoughts aside for now, I said, "If the enemy is currently focusing on that planet, we should probably focus our reinforcements there as well; unless there is something we need to know beforehand?"

The Second said, "There might." Before moving the map over a bit, showing a star system to the west of the Forge World and North of Fenris. I already had a bad feeling about this.

"It appears that a small enemy formation is gathering here. No doubt they're attempting to punch southwards and cause as much chaos as possible while disrupting our existing supply lines. We need to deploy a legion there, however we also need to deploy it here." He indicated another position. "And here," And then another, "Those areas are defensively weak at the moment, and our recon indicates an imminent Rangdan assault."

"Three holes to fill, three legions at your service. I could have a large detachment of the Imperial Fist moved to that position right away." Dorn indicated the closest one that was just north of the current lines he had been holding.

The Second nodded, before pointing to the other position that had no interest to me, "This place is close to my homeworld of Zipang, so I have a personal interest in moving my forces there as quickly as possible. As soon as this meeting is done, I will meet this enemy before they can come for us."

"Which leaves the hole right above Fenris." I said with a nod.

Dorn looked at the map and said, "Not really right above. That's a good several light years travel between Fenris and the hole by my estimation."

I sighed. He was right, but he was also kind of wrong. Yes, there was a good distance between Fenris and that hole, but it was a direct shot with nothing currently there to stop them.

Shaking my head, I said, "I have to leave most of the legion I have behind me to clean up the rest of that waaagh, thankfully I have some reserves units on Fenris. I could call them up and have them reinforce me there quickly."

"… Reserve units?" Dorn asked, sounding confused.

I looked at him and shrugged before saying, "It takes time to train a legionnaire, so I would give the newly trained legions some easy blooding and practice with local problems before deploying them with veteran units. Not to say all the units with the reserve legions mainly consist of rookies, there's still those that served exceptionally well from the Wheel of Fire campaign."

"Hmm. When my forces are ready, I just deploy them directly into the line, I'll have to keep that in mind for the future." Dorn said thoughtfully, while the Primarch of the Second shrugged.

"No better experience than fighting in the front lines as far as I'm concerned." He said with quite a lot of surety in his assumptions. I let that pass. The front lines can teach you some bad habits if you let it, especially if you were being taught by people who didn't understand what the conflict they were going into would be like. Memories of my last life and how certain officers had done things strictly by the book instead of adapting their understanding proved that to me.

Shaking my head, I focused on the now and ask, "Are there any other legions on their way that we are currently aware of?"

The Primarch of the Second shrugged before saying, "I've heard scattered reports that there might be two more on the way, the 11th and the 4th."

"Perturabo." I said with a nod. "Well, he's good for defensive and siege warfare. I'm assuming we will probably run into a bit of that as we move deeper into the Rangdan Space."

"Hmm, I rather not have the corpse grinders guarding my flank." Dorn said, sounding rather disapproving of the Iron Warriors Primarch..

"Not a fan of his siege warfare?" The Second asked with a smile.

This seemed to have had some sort of effect on Dorn as he looked up at him and said, "Are you?"

"Not really. I do acknowledge that his jobs do get done, but I think he could have limited his losses properly if he didn't abuse the Imperial Army as he did."

Oh boy, inter-legion politics. Not a fan of that, personally. I had no problem with Perturabo, but if he was having some sort of issue with causing unnecessary deaths amongst the Imperial Army, I should probably have some conversation with him to see if I couldn't get him to better direct his efforts more efficiently.

Outwardly though, I said "This may be true, but Perturabo himself is quite a talented architect and artist. He would, understandably, be a bit upset and overworked even for a Primarch by the amount of sieges he has to manage."

"Are you suggesting that Perturabo is not a good fit for the legions?" Dorn asked, looking at me. He raised an eyebrow as I deciphered how he got to that conclusion. It wasn't a hard jump if you were already thinking about it. This is a bad sign for the relationship between those two.

Shaking my head, I said, "No. I'm sure that he is anxious to go back to actually rebuilding and restoring humanity as much as possible. ."

"Why?" The Primarch to the Second said, sounding confused. "Why should we have to when this is the greatest calling in the universe, restoring humanity to their previous glory and spreading it across the Stars?"

"Yes, exactly." Dorn said with a nod.

I blinked and said, "You haven't even considered what comes next, haven't you?"

They both shook their heads no, causing me to sigh, "I'm going to retire to Fenris to raise wolves and hunt monsters. Perty wants to become an artist and build structures that will stand the test of time and monuments to the glory of humanity for generations afterwards; once the Galaxy is united you two need to have something to look forward to, or you're going to be left figuring it out for the rest of your long life."

Dorn shook his head and said, "I'll be building defenses. Humanity will always need defending from the creatures out in the dark. It's that simple, and I will be there to defend it."

"Ha! Simple, I like it!" The Second said with a nod. "Me, it looks like I'm going to go take my forces and explore the unknown. I always wondered what's past the galactic rim? Granted, I know it's going to be dangerous. Just a few years back I went exploring a little too far out to the Galactic East, and I stumbled on some rather interesting architecture. Dangerous too, I did get some neat toys though. Hey Himiko, bring out that thing."

He turned to his right and called out to two more foxtail girls standing by the edges of his Court, wearing priestess robes as well.They modded and walked into a side room, coming back with a long metal halberg with a blade that slightly glowed green. Carefully they walked it over to their Primarch who reached out and grabbed it on one hand without issue.

"Ever seen giant pyramids made of metal?" He asked as he showed off the spear.

"No." Dorn answered.

"Neither had I until I visited the planet that this thing came from, but they exist. Weird green crystals and tombs full of metal skeletons. Aesthetically very much like ancient Egypt, you know ancient Egypt, right?"

At first I felt a stab of annoyance at the question. Of course I knew Ancient Egypt! But then I saw Dorn shaking his head, and remembered that few people in this galaxy knew any of Earth's history at all.

Spinning the halberd around, he said, "This thing cut through anything. I've tried it, though I think it was meant for different hands. I jury rigged a big switch for anyone who uses it. I thought about launching another expedition to the planet I found this on, but the mechanicus aren't very happy about me discovering things they feel they should be the ones exploring. There's no rush at the moment, so if we could get a legion armed with such weapons we could cut through this new enemy quickly."

"Hmm, that may be true." I nodded as I was looking at the strange weapon, wondering what it was constructed of, and where it originated from?

Though the metal skeletons thing was a bit of a memory jogger. I was reminded of a certain Terminator franchise. I wonder if that ever got any better…? What am I saying, they probably got much worse. Either way though, I probably have to talk to the Emperor about this, see if he knows anything about metal skeletons with some Egyptian motifs.

If there were similarities between the pyramids, something suspicious was going on, so it would be best to ask questions of the witnesses who claimed to be there for most of human terrestrial history.

But that was a conversation for another time I saw the Emperor, which shouldn't be that far off, if the Second's comments about him coming north were true.

If that was true, then this Rangdan is more of a threat than anyone realizes; if the Emperor was willing to forgo the quest for his missing son to meet them head-ons personally.

It looks like I have to give everything I could to this fight, otherwise, humanity would fall apart again; and if that's so then my retirement plan falls apart as well. I was not going to let that happen.

"So, Wolf Girl, how come you have a normal human in your company?" Said the Primarch of the Second, drawing my eyes from my internal thoughts to him, causing them to narrow in annoyance.

"As I said, it's Tanya, and calling her human is a stretch. This is Lord Wolfen, personal assistant, member of my Valkyrie, and former Space Marine aspirant.."

The Second blinked and looked at her confused, before asking "Are you saying what I think you're saying?"

"Yes." I sigh, still looking quite annoyed at him not wanting to say what he was going to want me to say.

He laughed, and said, "I'm glad I'm not a female primarch! Must be troublesome to build a legion if you can have accidents like that happen."

Was he provoking me deliberately? It was even more annoying because I didn't think he was. "It's an extremely rare case, and they're still combat efficient; they're just not as good as regular space Marines, but they have their uses."

"I somehow doubt that. After all, there's a reason Father chose men to be the Astartes, because they have a greater chance of survivability in combat than women." Dorn commented.

"Not exactly arguing that," I said, "But having my own auxiliaries and having less dependence on the Imperial command for logistics makes everything a lot simpler. Coordination and morale is more efficient when you have commands over units from your Home World.."

"Hmm, really?" Dorn pondered, rubbing his chin. "I wonder if I should give that a try then? Most of my units are all Space Marines, but there is always quite a large detachment of units within the former empire I ruled that could be brought into line if needed."

The Second shook his head before saying, "I'll keep that in mind as well. Though I must admit my planet's too underdeveloped to produce an army outside the Space Marines."

"If you know your planet is underdeveloped then you should develop it." I pointed out.

"And let the planet lose its charms? No, no I don't think I can do that." the Second Primarch said with a shake of his head, before adding, "Taking away what makes my Home World special would just ruin its appeal. Destroy what has been preserved for so long. no, I will do my best to preserve it the way it has been for the last millenniums. It's a cultural hub that holds the keys to the history of the far East of Ancient Earth."

I shook my head, already suspecting that it was more likely that it was a damned amusement park before the fall of the Human Federation, but that was a concern for another time. Instead I simply said, "Fine, fine but surely there is a planet within range that I'm sure you could convert for your forces? Keeping your planet as you say. close to its original form, is ideal. But the closer your logistics are, the more well-supplied your frontlines and defenses would be too. "

"Hmmm a solid point, though doesn't that imply we should be looking towards creating our own mini-empires within the Empire? After all, in order to gain control of other planets I would need to export the culture of my homeworld to some extent, make the planets interested in being a part of my mini-empire."

I turned and shrugged at Dorn and said, "Did you not just say that you had an empire when the Emperor found you?"

"Yes, nearly 100 worlds. And still growing a bit as planets within range of my homeworld are brought into compliance, with elements of the imperial army given to me by Father."

I nodded and said, "For my part, I'm doing my best to convince the many worlds in close proximity to my home world into a mutually beneficial alliance, in order to make sure Fenris is as protected as possible. I don't know what the other Primarchs's are doing. I know Perturabo is literally building his own empire, and I'm sure as we spread out amongst the stars we'll find others doing the same. And it would be foolish to not try and build their own sphere of influence within the Empire. To not do so would leave us at the mercy of the Mechanicum."

"The mercy of the Mechanicum?" Dorn asked with a raised eyebrow.

"The Imperium relies on the Mechanicum's forge worlds." I said with a shrug. "As long as the Empire is split between the Imperium and the Mechanicum, yes there's always the potential for the Mechanicum to withhold vital logistical supplies and equipment as they probably did with my legion. They feared we were no better than the ancient techno barbarians that once raided Mars from Earth."

"That's why I went out of my way to invite the Squat Leagues to join the Imperium, as they represent another agent that could counterbalance the Mechanicus influence and reach. Creating an empire that directly responds to us is simply creating proper vassal states to contest a larger and more powerful vassal state, if it ever decides its ambition is harmful to the Imperium."

"Sister, are you suggesting the Mechanicus may try to betray the Imperium?" Dorn asked with a serious tone.

"Suggesting? No, but acknowledging that it could happen? Yes. People are weird, unpredictable. More so when they are religious zealots proclaiming the weakness of flesh. We might think we understand them, before someone more radical takes control of its governmental system."

"For instance the Mechanicum thinks the Emperor, our father, is an aspect of the Machine God, and our father, if you didn't notice, is against religion. These two things are not compatible with one another. The Imperial Truth and the Omnissiah will not be content to stay constant forever. Sooner or later, one will have to give. Knowing the Emperor and his worries about the denizens of the warp, I believe that the Imperial Truth will eventually win out in the end. And there will be reactionaries and costs to this, sooner or later, and it won't be pretty nor quick.."

"Hmm, the mountain preserves always cause me similar trouble. That sounds about right for this universe." The Primarch of the Second said, reminding me that he still thought he was Nobunaga.

Shaking his head though, he simply said, "Well that's a problem for the future, but I can understand your point of view. Seeing that we all have our own little fiefdoms within the Imperium, we can always combine our forces to bear in case of an emergency. I'll have to look into that as time goes on, and I'm sure there's plenty of planets that wouldn't mind having the protection of the Flying Castles."

"I will be honest, brother, could you think of a better name for the Second Legion? Flying Castles don't really have a good ring to it." Dorn commented.

I would have been a little bit more circumspect about saying what Dorn said, but he wasn't wrong. The real question was how would the Second Primarch take that statement?

He chuckled before saying, "Everyone thinks that name is poor. Even the Emperor wasn't a fan of it. I'll look into my books when I get back to Zipang, see if I can find something that better represents my legion.."

"Yes," Dorn said, relief in his voice.

I could not make any comments, though several more of those priestess servant girls showed up carrying large crates of alcohol, setting them right next to us.

"I was wondering when those would get here!" Nobunaga said with a smile. Leaning over, he put his cup underneath one of the faucets and unleashed a torrent of what looked like clear alcohol.

Two of the serving girls prepared cups for both of us and gave one each to me and dorn.

"Well, now that we've had our planning session, let's get a little drunk before getting on our way." He said with a smile while raising his cup.

Raising my own I said, "Sounds like a plan."

Doran sniffed the alcohol, before shrugging and saying, "I have nothing better to do."

Xana 2

Captain Arkhas Fal

"Another bombardment incoming." A lieutenant called, drawing my attention from the map of the situation.

"Do these things ever run out of soldiers?" I muttered as I shook my head.

"If they ran out of soldiers I don't think we'd be trapped here, cousin." Came the voice of Captain Karael of the white scars, as he leaned against the wall across from the table.

"Fair point. Still, sitting here and taking an unending bombardment is just not what my men are made for."

"Yes, yes, Horus' hidden dagger in the back of the enemy, we all know the preferred style of the Pale Nomads." Captain Karael said with a smile, before adding, "And you know as well as I, that this is not how the White Scars like to fight either, but the fact of the matter is we have no choice. Our enemies will not let us choose our battlefields; they prefer to choose ones for themselves."

I shook my head at that common knowledge. "I wish we had been given some choice. The enemies are pushing further and further towards our fortifications, and the local Mechanicus forces are down 30 percent."

Captain Karael nodded, but said, "There are primarch's in the area, and other legions that could be called upon to support us, we just need to hold on until they arrive."

"Well, I hope they make it soon." I muttered as I looked at the map. Said map was showing the capital city of Xana II encircled by lines of bio-forms and mercenaries in service of Rangdan.

We have been fighting them for eight months already! Eight long months, from holding most of the large cities to now we barely holding on to the capital. Reports on what happened in the other cities were dubious at best and some unsubstantiated claims of their population being fed to the bioforms..

Sooner or later we were going to run out of ammunition and supplies, and then it wouldn't be the dead they'll be eating.

They usually sent the bioforms in first, large monstrous creatures with claw arms and four clawed legs, a massive jaw in front sitting on a spindly central section with a scorpion like tail that could be whipped around for additional damage. They would come on a dead sprint, and would tank plenty of damages before dying, and hopefully they stay dead. Then they'd send in their servitors species, mostly Orks though there were the occasional small group of humans and other xenos within their ranks, who came charging over the already muddy field of bioform corpses only to meet the same fate.

The enemy command had no regard for the soldiers beneath it, and fed them into the meat grinder as eagerly as a scavenger would eat at a corpse; not caring how old it was in the process.

This wouldn't be so bad if we had secure lines of ammunition coming in from outside of the forge world. After all, we could keep up the fire if we had the ammunition. The forge world was doing its best, but it was put under a lot of strain.

But the enemy fleet in orbit was doing a good job of preventing ours ships from supporting the besieged capital. If not for anti-orbital weaponry within the forge city, those ships would be giving them even more trouble with their orbital bombardments; but thankfully they still had and held them, and those ships were staying far enough away.

Though anti-orbital weaponry can't stop the bombardments from regular artillery. Said bombardment was now starting up as an officer called incoming as large explosions rippled through the forge city. Thankfully, the forge didn't have anything in reach of the bombardment that could cause secondary explosions. Not anymore at least; there had been a few incidents near the start of the fighting and why the suburbs were lost, but the masters of Xana had learned their lesson and moved those explosive materials further into the forge with safer containment.

The first few months were some of the hardest fighting I think I'd ever been in, and I served with the legion during the later days of the unification wars. Granted, we mostly worked with Horus for the majority of the time since our founding, some even jokingly said something about us being Horus' second Legion. But we were slowly being sidelined as more Legions with their Primarchs are becoming more active.

Nowadays, the Pale Nomads were mostly used for occupation or protection duties, and why we were even here in the first place. We weren't even supposed to be at the front lines, we were supposed to be overseeing Xana's integration into the Imperium, not defending it against an unending horde of monsters.

But here we were. Everyday was just another bombardment, sometimes it was enemy artillery and others it was specialty bio forms, designed to be thrown large distances and cause mayhem within the city. Even while shells were falling, we still had to defend the perimeter from bioforms and Ork charges.

I was shaking my head as I considered how we were going to survive today when the communications officer suddenly jumped up from his seat.t.

"Sir! Sir! A fleet has entered the system!" He called in a proud tone as he got up and turned to give a salute.

Turning to face him properly, I said, "Whose, ours or the enemy??"

"Report indicates that it is broadcasting friendly signals and is of Imperial make and design."

"That's better." I said with a smile. "Reinforcements have finally arrivedto rescue our ass from the fire. I want to know who I have to thank for it."

"Yes sir." He turned to the screen before calling back, "It's the Gloriana ship, Invincible Reason, and the Gloriana ship, Endurance, at the center of the formation."

"The Primarch of the First and the Primarch of the Death Guard, not a bad day." Captain Karael said with a nod. "I was hoping it would be my own Primarch, I've yet to actually meet him."

"I'm sure he's on his way." I waved it off, and tried not to think about the fact that we had yet to even meet our primarch. As far as I knew we hadn't even found him yet, which was annoying. So many legions have been introduced to their Primarchs by this point, it was rare for a legion not to have their own.

Turning to the radio operator I said, "Send our thanks to the Primarchs and give them access to the current information on our networks. Let them make up their own mind on how they're going to break this siege from the outside."

"Will do, Sir… wait, they're calling right now." The officer said, as he put his hand on the side of his helmet listening in to something.

"It would seem that the majority of the fleet is heading to fight the blockade, while the Gloriana's are going to try and take up orbit above the city and start dropping troops directly into the enemy's rear."

"Bold plan of action." Captain Karael commented." Going to guess that's the plan of the Lion."

"Of course it's the Lion's plan." I said with a shake of my head. Most of this frontier was pretty much under the Lion's jurisdiction anyways, and he had been running this campaign from the start. And they have only gotten bolder..

After all, how else were they going to get their daily dose of glory hogging.

"Inform the Lion and the Death Guard Primarch that our formation is incapable of committing an assault outside the city. We do not have the troops nor would we be very useful in that situation with the losses we have taken."

The officer nodded and went to work as I moved across the room to pick up a chair and bring it back to the table with the hollow map, pressing a few buttons to expand the view so I could watch the show.

Captain Karael did the same, putting his chair on the other side. "Yeah, unfortunate thing about all the losses we've been taking, we can't help push out which means they're going to have to take the brunt of whatever the enemies got behind their lines."

"Exactly, but hopefully the Lion knows what they're doing. they're the Emperor's own child, and they do have a reputation so presumably they'll be able to pull this off."

Sitting back, I watched the screen as the battle played out for the fate of the city and the planet itself. Forces from both the Death Guard and the Dark Angels deployed to either side of the city, drawing off the enemy in both directions and slaughtering them as they moved out of position.

Air superiority was slowly coming, watching the second screen I saw that slowly and steadily the enemy fleet was pushed off and out of sight of the Capital City, meaning now the enemy didn't even have partial air superiority.

With those ducks in a row, fighters began to come down from orbit launching strikes against enemy positions all across the battlefield, pushing them out of their holes and into the waiting bolters and volkite weapons of the Death Guard and Dark Angels. It was a slow roll up, but it was a roll up. The enemy had nowhere to go but into the city as they were pushed from all sides, and my men only had to sit in their trenches and fire at anything that tried to escape in their general direction.

It was actually very well organized and the enemy was completely crushed within the course of five hours. It was the first real victory of this damn war. The question was, now how are we going to capitalize on that victory?

Only time will tell. Hopefully the Lion would have a plan because I doubted that the Rangdan were done. More likely there would be another wave coming and another after that, and we would have to hold this position until they were either weakened or we found a way to hit them where it hurts.

And where would it hurt? That was a question that I didn't have the answer to.

Writers note: Oh hey, chapter where we got to know Primarch 2, and tease of Primarch one? Wonderful. Now some of you thought I was going to do a Youjo Senki charter for a second… I decided to go another road and stay as close to canon as I could while having fun.. That is the point of this, to have fun.

Edited by: L, Ernesto Aviles, Michael Sauer, Y1
Community edited by:Just Rafi, C104, Edwin Kang

Supporters: Afforess, Gremlin Jack, Xodarap4, Duncan Sproule, James Moorhouse, Dankermaler, Hats88, DrkShdow, Devilstar101, Michael, Mana Rope, Falk Hüser, Silver Wolf, Mackenzie Buckle, Neso, Lmc9389, Staradder, KrasieK, Zollus, Jog256, Ethan Dowie, Maxim Blashkevych, The GrandMage, loyalChaos, Daryl, FreelancerD0, Zul The Lich, Flynn Pirola-Henderson, Retexks, John Norman, Ian R Major, Dale, Darth Vendar, BigKumaDM, Taylor Tilbury, Treant Balewood, Aske Helsted, Sam, Brandon Goodman, BarrettSlayer, Guillermo Echeverria, , D3ad0s, Pulse Rager, Daniel Quigley, Lago, CB-Otaku, , Adam Daw, Michał Kotuła, Louis Kasser, Arkhad, Tree Man, Pontus, Zahael, Nathan Cardoso, John Vargo, Lightstorm

Last edited:
Back