The Mook Maker (LitRPG / Isekai / Original / May Contain Furries)

…Dreams…!
That's it then!
The Master would come back to himself given time to resist the effects?
As far as dealing with barriers I was thinking about using displacers to set up a rift that's already sky-high before using the water mooks to yeet the casket but uhh…
Sage boy is about to read the scroll and likely explode if I'm right.
That will probably wake the Lady in a manner she would rather not be woken up in, but ah well.

That will probably wake the Lady in a manner she would rather not be woken up in, but ah well.
Wake up, Lady. Wake up and smell the ashes.

As far as dealing with barriers I was thinking about using displacers to set up a rift that's already sky-high before using the water mooks to yeet the casket but uhh…
The Tidereavers (the water mooks) were too rash in launching the casket the first time when it was still completely surrounded by the medium they control.

Chapter 89: Letter from the Past
Now we had The Scroll, the name of which I still couldn't remember, it was a question of putting it somewhere when it could be secured, studied, and eventually, translated.

There might be ways to activate it, to use the arcane power bound within, I was certain of it, almost as if it wanted to be unleashed, but the information it contained, and the answer it could provide, were so far more valuable than anything else.

We were fumbling around in the dark for far too long.

I picked the Viceroy's palace as a good place to start.

It wasn't the most secure place, its walls were there mostly as a means of providing privacy for the ruling elite rather than security against outside threats, but unfortunately, it was also the place where all the records had been kept. The castle we controlled was purely a defensive structure, not the administration centre.

Should the Sage need to consult any records, any texts on the subject, any vocabularies, they would all be stored either within the palace, or within the city's hall of records equivalent, and ease of access would, I presume, speed up the translation greatly.

If there weren't any treatises on the account of the mystical artefacts, which was most likely considering the lengths the natives, and their dragon gods, went to hide those, providing at least adequate place to work couldn't hurt.

We had only one 'expect in-house', too valuable to lose to the 'Displacer' portals' mishaps, and difficult to relocate elsewhere. He could work from home.

I expected the content of the scroll would be at least transcribed to the local language, but now I was thinking of it. Maybe some of my girls could try to write it down in English as well. Perhaps it wouldn't hurt to give the human wise man a monster girl assistant…

But could my girls write?

They did understand me without any issues, but for the first time, I was wondering whether it was our telepathic link to do the talking even when conversing with 'Alphas'. With their uncanny ability to grasp the context, they might even learn overnight. I didn't know.

Our shared connection was undeniable more and more with each passing day, and silent voices were becoming a permanent fixture at the back of my mind as the link with the host had deepened.

It didn't scare me as much as it should, but was it … normal? What was normal?

The shifting void didn't give me enough time to ponder that.

The 'Displacer' deposited me directly inside the palace's dusky throne hall. Now the sun began to set, the silk or paper windows barely let any light in, braziers and torches already lit were more a distraction than a help at this fleeting time of day.

I looked up to the ceiling first, almost expecting to see a darkening sky above me, pointless as there were usual wooden beams up there, and thinking that the humans were unlikely to hold meetings there at night.

The sage wasn't expected to deliver results today by any means either. I just need him to get there and get instructions, and tomorrow, I would take the matters of security to the Viceroy.

Arke was already there. The enormous bat-girl, seated on the throne itself, an upholstered bench which the locals apparently considered the fitting chair for the local ruler, dominated the room with her massive wingspan of seven to eight metres. Her eyes shone with her inner power, something which has become increasingly more common among both newer breeds and 'evolved' individuals.

However, when the more rifts snapped in existence, bringing in the rest of my retinue, the exasperated male voice spoke in the local language.

The Viceroy. I didn't expect him to be here.

He was seated on the other bench, away from the prominent position the throne Arke occupied, a place likely intended for someone important to have a seat, but away from notice to convey the lesser rank. If intended for an advisor, or city mayor, I didn't know, but the Viceroy didn't sound happy even if he managed the calm, collected expression as ever, even though he flinched occasionally. A tic, perhaps.

"He asks what is the meaning of this, Master," Arke translated. This time in person, her pet brain-drone wasn't around. There, however, were looming presences in the corners of the room, beyond the reach of the fire that moved on her mental command.

"My visit?" I said, confused, as the Viceroy would have known I was coming. Arke could have conveyed that to him, easily.

Other of my girls joined in, arriving through the separate rifts, including Kuma, who now bore the precious scroll, carried carefully in her huge hands. The Viceroy doesn't seem pleased about their presence either. His face twitched again, almost as if he suffered from a crushing migraine.

"Arke wasn't supposed to sit on your throne, Lord Viceroy." I said, as calmly as I could, "There was no disrespect intended. I apologise."

The 'sorry for intruding' was, likely, the expected answer, but it was the moot point considering Arke, and his girl, were already encroaching on his property with the intervention in the attempts on his life, and our occupation of the city.

Perhaps it was about the bat-girls' manners.

I gestured to the girl to get up. She did.

The Viceroy said something when the figures in the corner barked out translation, and Arke, now standing, looked somewhat more menacing with her wide leathery wings spread in the air, no longer resting lazily as they were when she had been seated. They were like the shadow covering the portion of the room, but she moved them easily enough out of the way so I could maintain eye contact with the Viceroy.

"He said you were conscripting his men without his permission."

Arke wrapped one of her wings around her, like it was an oversized sleeve, as she spoke. I glanced at her, and the lord.

"Did I?" I asked, "Ask him who gave the order."

Rather than the obvious explanation, one which Arke could easily give, I wanted to hear the specifics about the offence, although I knew the Viceroy could easily point a finger at the nearest 'Displacer' claiming they whisked his men away, and it would be entirely valid, and truthful answer.

I left the 'Overseers' in charge of the villages, after all, and their 'Alpha' fancied the palace's hall so much she even created a 'brain-bug' construct so she doesn't have to leave, it wasn't hard to guess they run this part.

"Lily did ask for volunteers to assassinate the priestesses as an alternative to the drones," Arke answered the question, but it was beyond the point now: "Ask him, please."

There was an exchange between the man, and the mindless translating puppets still stationed in the corner, the 'brain-bug' nowhere to be seen. It was probably for the best, considering the tension.

"He says that your scaled alchemist did, Master." was the translation. There were a few more sentences to followed,

"Scaled alchemist?"

I frowned. Unusual, considering my scaly ones weren't particularly ecstatic about humans, but I suppose they tried.

"That is what he said, Master."

"Do we know how to translate the Alpha?"

"I don't know, Master."

It was rather strange to refer to Lily as such, but I suppose she, or Kirke, was very close to the term alchemist. If 'Mutators' could turn algae into something that allowed 'Fleshspeakers' to shape car-sized crabs. What difference would it make from a magical potion? It was creative.

"Did any of your men die, Lord Viceroy?" I asked, carefully.

There was a pause. The man and the translating drone traded a few words.

"He doesn't know. Two of his guards disappeared after she promised them her mixtures."

Mixtures?

Lily's berries were getting out of hand. The Viceroy likely felt this way too, and we were, very clearly, testing his patience.

"Do we know?"

"Yes, Master. Two were taken."

I recalled the one man from the humans pleading to be blessed. He lived, which means the 'Fleshspeakers' could flush the 'Corruptors' substances out of his system. The mere possibility that there were another couple of humans entirely immune was promising…

Lily, and her narcotic berries, were an issue, but if she, by pure accident, discovered a method to find the humans that suffered no side effects from our power, I couldn't just punish her. Just give her better guidance…

The words interrupted me from pondering about it further. I wouldn't yell at my girl in front of the Viceroy.

"He asks what happened to them, Master."

Did we take two of his closest followers for the sake of that assault?

"Do you know the name of the town we had to attack, Arke?"

"Seoju." She replied, and it was clear the Viceroy recognized the name. There was no reason to assume he couldn't know it, though, even if it wasn't on the map we retrieved from his library.

"Please translate…" I said, "One of my …"

I paused, considering the fitting word in their vocabulary, then continued: "One of my generals had been captured by the garrison in Seoju…"

Ah, the local names were a bane of me: I hoped I pronounced that correctly.

"I assume that town wasn't under your authority."

It was not, he claimed, as far as Arke could tell, which I believed since it wasn't even on this map. I decided for full disclosure.

"...your men were instrumental in the attempt to resolve this manner in the least violent manner possible, as my alchemist certainly thought, but the priestesses, as well as the garrison, refused to see reason. I had it burned to the ground. The actions of their. priestesses against my people couldn't be forgiven. Unfortunately, I was told, one of your men perished in the fighting. Other was healed and would be returned here immediately."

It was possibly the longest sentence I spoke interacting with the humans, and it was a small struggle of its own. It took a while to translate, as the fleshy puppets spat sentence after sentence like the nearly mindless machines.

The Viceroy took the explanation - quite frankly one at that - remarkably well.

"Do you know who governs that province? Are you familiar with that land?"

This time, however, he reacted, and I could assume he wasn't happy.

"He protests against using his men as assassins, Master. They are trained … riders …" My bat-girls said, and she wasn't enthusiastic about the lord's reaction either, but her drones dutifully arranged for the translation where I offered:

"You could recruit more men from the city's populace which would be placed under your direct command as your personal guards. They should be trained by your remaining men and charged with your protection."

It didn't cut it, though - I presumed it was because the situation here in Chunnan was as bad as it was, barely any recruits would come in from the mostly suppressed populus, unless I let Lily trade her 'berries' until the humans were far too addicted to run without them.

The Viceroy, however, was a local, legitimate ruler. His words had a sway, too.

I wasn't sure about this, however; I felt I should promise the lord some compensation instead. A land owner wouldn't refuse more land, and we have enough issues as it were.

"If the humans from the south continue to attack my forces, I will act.."

I paused.

"If the lord of the southern lands would continue attacks, I would act against him. If he is killed, you would take over the governance under the same arrangement as we have here."

Whether I could trust him in that was a question, but I was in a dire shortage of human sympathisers as of now. The Viceroy glanced at me, and then at Tama, which took the position near me, then to Arke, as zombified thralls delivered the message once again.

The lord flinched once more, and I was certain he had a migraine. A lack of sleep gets even the most influential people.

"He agrees to the arrangement, Master."

It was quick.

However, before I could respond, or do anything else, the advisor - the sage, and technically appointed mayor - barged into the hall.

There were no guards, except for the few 'Eviscerators' materialising from the shadows of the hallway, waving to me in greeting.

No human had attempted to stop the sage. Perhaps that was the issue the Viceroy complained about - he was left with only a handful of men, and no servants, since our occupation began.

Perhaps I should arrange for the servants to work the palace, but I wasn't sure if we had any money left to pay the staff, or have a 'Fleshspeaker' to command the zombified human to do the cleaning.

An outburst of words he let out was without a doubt inappropriate, or rather rude, for the situation, compared to the collected behaviour the Viceroy gave out, but considering I had no practical - or even theoretical - understanding of the local etiquette, it did not matter.

I didn't need the native scholar for that.

Instead, more practical knowledge was required - or esoteric rather, as the actual magic has been involved - and aside from the old, slightly eccentric sage, there was no one else I could consult on the matter. He looked fervently around the room, with few other words escaping him, making me question his sanity.

He even looked at the nearby 'Eviscerator' that likely followed him around, and wanted to shake her as he demanded an answer, then thought better of it, and stopped himself.

The wolf girl wasn't too amused by the human.

It was unfortunate there weren't any alternatives.

"Tell him we found the scroll of...." I said to nobody in particular.

"...Pho-us-kah." I was advised. That name would be the end of me, I couldn't memorise it. Perhaps I should resign myself to calling the ancient sorcerer 'Oscar' even if it would be quite silly, just to spare myself of another struggle with the memorization and pronunciation of yet another local term.

The zombified humans, the only thing that could act as security in my girls' absence, barked out the translation.

The ageing, and now possibly mad, scholar understood and fell down on his knees, bowing his head to the ground.

"He said he will do anything, Master." Somewhere behind me, my 'Alpha' bat translated.

Few more words.

"He repeats anything."

I guessed he took the hesitation as doubt whether he was worthy, which in truth wasn't this much of a problem for us. We didn't have an alternative.

"Kuma, show him." I said, gesturing for the bear-girl. With her imposing size, she would possibly deter the sage from doing anything foolish, but even that was uncertain. I could feel Kuma's smirk, but Tama was ready to simply intercept the not quite sane man. Her claws flickered with flames.

Narita had to step in, and so did Ekaterina, since now the hall was filled by my closest followers.

The old wise man took the lesson. I didn't want to harm him. He was far too crucial to our efforts now, despite his eccentric attitude.

Kuma unrolled the scroll, letting the manuscript dangle.

"Tell him to look. Can he say it is genuine?" I asked. As to us, it certainly did feel magical. The energy it contained tingled to my senses even as we spoke.

The sage scrambled to his feet, moved closer, his shaking hand hovering over the scroll, unsure if he could touch the ancient artefact, while he, once again, continued to ramble.

It doesn't tell me anything, and it appears it puzzled even my bat girl too, or her meat puppets didn't catch it. Perhaps I shouldn't ask to validate it - after all, this was possibly magical. Its arcane power called to me even now, waiting to be used, waiting to be released.

"I am not sure what it means, Master."

For all his erratic, questionable behaviour, the old man acted as if there was an invaluable treasure in front of him, which did give a certain validity to this unexplainable sensation I left in its presence.

"But can he translate it? It is not in the local tongue?" I insisted, and the puppets barked at the order.

More rambling. It was weird, even for the standards of the already outlandish situation, but the strange tension in the air created by the artefact didn't change, making me doubt it was more active than it was before.

There were few attempts to communicate, but it was now clear that the girls were quite frustrated with the inability to understand it, which made me assume that whatever the Sage just said was, indeed, a third language, not one that the humans normally spoke.

"We…are not sure, Master. Maybe he is reading it?"

Arke's insight came too late, and I could see the 'Displacer' disappearing into the rift, and I was certain they were out of their depths as the man spoke either too fast, or in the way their current enthralled puppets didn't comprehend.

"Does he? Did you catch anything?"

The sage once again said something. I was completely confused now which part was the 'third tongue' and which was the human's native speech, as I understood neither.

"He said…" Arke said, "Repeat the words and … crack in the truth … shall appear?"

What is that supposed to mean?

More words, which made me question whether what followed was an incantation of sorts. The indescribable, invisible, yet undeniably present energy surrounding the parchment throbbed with each and every syllable, as the old man, completely engrossed with the alien text let out and …

We are rushing towards the end of days!

The message blinked in front of my eyes, and I had enough.

"Hey!" I raised my voice, which broke the sage's reverie, and made the Viceroy, still present, protest, likely demanding an explanation.

The old man's eyes darted away from the scroll.

"Focus." I told him, which was helpfully translated, as the 'Displacer' returned with the 'brain-bug' through the portal, which should hopefully help as an interpreter in the future. It was intended to be better at it, wasn't it?

The Viceroy looked positively pale, but remained stoic. My attention turned back to his advisor.

"Do not do anything that would activate the artefact!" I said aloud, gesturing, almost as I thought the raised voice would convey my meaning, when I realised 'activate' is another modern word: "Do not speak any incantations it contains! We may forever lose the way to study it afterwards!"

The sage seemingly understood my outburst despite the language barrier, as the words from the new 'brain-bug' caught up to him after his eyes lit with understanding. The idea of losing the treasure once again did get to him as well, since he too visibly paled after the words conveyed the idea of losing the artefact just as easily as he discovered it.

"He apologises for being rash, Master."

"Do you understand it?" I asked again, and the answer was obvious, but not quite coherent, as even the new interpreter didn't help Arke enough.

"He does. Some of it…it is … old tongue? Lost? Before kingdom?"

"I want you to translate it. Do not speak any phrase that would be an incantation. It is too dangerous."

Pause. Confused looks, then understanding. The voice leaving the 'brain-bug' had sparked some befuddlement at first, but the old man caught up remarkably quickly, all things considered. He bowed down apologetically.

"He apologises. He doesn't understand it all, but some parts of the text are clear…"

But he did speak it out loud, I thought. Although it was possible that the artefact influenced him, I didn't know that for sure, and I guessed if whatever was written there was purely phonetic, he was reading aloud to sound out the words.

"Could you tell what the scroll speaks about?" I asked, and once the meaning was conveyed, he raised his head, gestured towards the scroll, pointing at the portions of the parchment with the diagram, and the associated captions and remarks, all done with that weird script.

"... many worlds that were closed away…"

They pointed at the scroll, moving their hands around it, while seemingly narrating something concerning what I originally thought was the astronomical diagram, or a star map, which dominated the entire manuscript.

".I don't understand. He speaks about… creation? Master?"

Voice of Arke interrupted, this time sounding from the pet 'brain-bug' instead of speaking through her own body. Her wings rested down.

"Just translate, please."

I thought the sage understood and pointed somewhere else.

"...the fog that was and will be…"

Then another section of the writing.

"... the fog that was and will be, it rages…"

And another.

".... rebellion… of the mortal realm…and the dragons…"

And yet another, afterwards. Regardless if this writing was supposed to be read from the left to right, or right from left, it was obvious he couldn't understand all of it, and he jumps between the widely separated sections.

"... the dragons couldn't hold the boundary…"

Yet a different section was referenced. There were supposedly a lot of complex words used, so the man seems to have a vocabulary for what is written, but not the mind to focus on one thing.

"...the fog that was and will be to consume them…"

And the ending. He moved his hand, again.

"Enough!" I ordered. Unless this was supposed to be read in the chessboard pattern, this was nonsense.

Now I was certain he doesn't understand all the words, but knows how to pronounce them. It was dangerous if they acted like an invocation to be spoken above: without the speaker able to discern the meaning or intent, yet able to pronounce it, this was the disaster about to happen. Only consolidation was a necessity to speak aloud and thus the option to interrupt the ritual, but it was a minor one. Memorization was, I suppose, possible.

"Could you study this without casting its spell, or spells, and deliver the translation in writing? Never speaking it words aloud. Transcribe everything to your tongue."

The native language, one they used in day-to-day communication, fortunately didn't trigger the reaction from the artefact.

The man paused. First unsure, then vehemently agreed. I didn't even need the interpreter puppet for this.

"He could."

"You would remain under guard at all times." I said, "The Scroll will remain in a single room, bring whatever you need to deliver the translation here. You will be dedicated to its study from now on. You will indicate which parts are untranslatable or uncertain. You start as soon as you can…"

This did the trick. The man bowed, then bowed once more, and scampered away. I was certain he was thankful for this new assignment, even though none of his world was translated just yet.

"I think he accepted the task, Master." Miwah said, giving Arke and her pet interpreter-spider some breathing room.

"The humans-things are more agreeable. When they obey. You. Master." Narita added, while in the subsequent moment of silence, the Viceroy let himself be known again. He looked sick. Perhaps the entire experience shocked him.

"Lord Viceroy." I said, "We thank you for your advisor's assistance."

I was sure he didn't see Arke's flesh-crafted pet before, as the voice in the native language once again left the strange eight-legged monstrosity, skittering closer to him, and by extension, Arke. The bat-girl decided she liked the official throne the most, and sat on it again, and the local ruler didn't find the strength to dispute it.

"Your assistance is invaluable. We thank you for providing us the aid of your men, and your advisor, we aren't going to ask them to leave the palace anymore. It would now host the most valuable script…" I said.

It wasn't the best line, but I improvised.

The Viceroy finally replied.

"He asks if it is one from the royal vaults, one the Crown Princess took?"

The mention of the Crown Princess I never heard about, or met, was puzzling, but knowing that I spoke with the high ranked official and the other parts of the collection were supposedly within the Royal vaults, I thought nothing of it.

We pulled one from the depth of the sea, I supposed that the members of the royal family could as well as have one. They controlled the largest collection, didn't they?

I shook my head after the brief silence.

"That one…" I gestured towards the scroll Kuma now elegantly rolled in, "Is the scroll your capital doesn't have. One of the missing ones from the collection we recovered to the south. There are more"

He didn't look well, however; he managed to ask a question, which was subsequently translated as:

"He asks if it will stay here?"

"Yes, it would." I confirmed, as it was my plan all along, although I didn't expect him to find out about it so soon, but that couldn't be taken back. I should be asking where he is in the future, every time we teleport.

"Do his men provide security?" Was the following query, understandably.

"My people would guard it." I said, however, I considered whether it would be wise to deny him access. The idea he could try to use it occurred, but I wasn't certain if he could.

Good faith, I reminded myself.

"You, as our trusted ally, are allowed to access it, of course. But I ask you to not speak any of the recorded incantations."

He paused while I questioned my decision - the local lord wasn't even this trustworthy.

Although there was a substantial risk that the Viceroy would, either on his own, or with the assistance of his advisor, try to use the magic himself and, to our detriment, denying him access would be equally dangerous. We barely managed to pacify the riot within the city, and so far, even the willingness to speak to us was a massive boon over the default native's belligerence.

"This is a treasure your royal family doesn't take lightly." I reminded him, gesturing towards the item.

For all the mysteries, and misunderstanding, I still recalled the mentions that only known copies - or parts, rather - were the most guarded secret. Only thing I hope I provide is the correct context.

I, for the short moment, wondered whether the local ruler struggled with the headache, or deeply considers the offer, but in the end, he replied, and this time, it was Arke who said, her tone a little mocking:

"He said he agrees, Master."

"Very well. I must make sure your lost man reports once he returns." I said, and with a brief nod, I left the throne room, leaving this exhausting exercise in the dialogue behind me.

A lot of decisions were made that required a certain level of apprehension.

A few away from the throne hall, where the Viceroy still stayed with Arke looming over him, I stopped and turned to Miwah. She and Tama were almost always at my side.

"Miwah, bring me eight of your sisters." I ordered,

"To your bedroom?" Tama teased, her ears perked out, and the many fluffy tails waved behind her. It was almost evening, but this, this wasn't what I had in mind. They would be the new guardians of the artefact.

"...to the gardens." I said, "There needs to be Mutators still assigned to it, perhaps an arcane fruit to be distributed…"

"Yes, Master." Miwah confirmed, and I continued down towards the gardens. It was the 'Displacer' that led me, this time on her feet, or rather paws, pointing down towards them.

The verdant madness of the garden where the laws of nature no longer applied wasn't far away, and there, in the dim light of the fading day, the tree of the arcane still shone. There were arcane fruits on it as I assumed, their strange glow even more visible now.

I didn't use any of them today. There was an arbitrary limit, but I didn't use any today.

"Eight of those would go to the Eviscerators…" I decided, pointing out to the unearthly produce on the twisted branch.

"The evolved will stalk the Sage and scroll all the time to prevent the misuse and activation, and interrupt him should he, or the Viceroy, attempt to use its magic. Also, we need to know should someone should try to steal it. Otherwise, there would be someone to lend him a hand with papers and stuff…"

The perfect invisibility was about to get very useful, considering the Viceroy too had the access too. I must show him a certain trust, but it doesn't mean I wouldn't let the scroll be guarded.

"Yes, Master."

Kuma still held the scroll dutifully. It still waited for the appropriate room to store it was selected, but since only consideration was cooperation at this moment, I decided:

"Let the Sage pick the room, but put two Ravagers at the door at all times…

Kuma yawned, and so did Ekaterina. Their sheer size would certainly dissuade any would-be thieves, even the ordinary 'Ravagers' weren't small.

"Until he does, Kuma will guard it." The hulking bear-lady could not only touch the enchanted parchment, but could, very easily, defend it.

"Yes, Master." She agreed, and for her easily bored expression, she didn't protest.

I continued to the centre of the garden. It was nearly empty, not counting the few 'Mutator' moths hanging around, seemingly tired after the day of work. The lone 'Purifier' snoozing in the grass nearby, an anthropomorphic fox side by side with the moth girl, reminded me of something.

"One Purifier could get the fruit too, to keep watch on duty in case someone starts a fire. There are torches everywhere. I can't allow the scroll to be burned down…"

Even if I wasn't sure it could, in fact, burn, there was something ironic about the pyromaniacs handling fire prevention. They have been able to put down the fires they started, but I wasn't so certain whether it was universal.

"Yes, Master." Tama purred, and snuggled herself close, approving the choice.

There was a water controlling breed now, but the need to always have the body of water at hand didn't make them into perfect firefighters.

The small 'Mutator' girl handed me the spiky, glowing Fruit of Arcane, as the 'Eviscerators' gathered brought in by the collection of tiny rifts. Narita would, I hope, handle the transfer of the energy from the fruit to the new candidates for empowerment.

Perhaps I could try to get the 'Corruptor' to get one, but the darkening skies dishearten me for the experimentation with the powers that governed the fruits, as the first of my anthropomorphic werewolf-girls transformed into their new, more elegant, more jackal-shaped forms and another notification flipped in front of my eyes.

Unit evolved! Valerie, The Named Eradicator
315 could be Evolved until Innate resources run out
Next, and next…

Until there were eight jackal-esque beauties ready for their next task, and I could feel their anticipation, though their duty would, unfortunately, be babysitting though.

Still, I felt guilt, and shame, realising that I have three Valeries, something I didn't realise before, and dismissed the screens.

A 'Purifier' became 'Purger', but as I watched her rapidly grow to the beautiful vixen, I realised that my closest, and more faithful, were not getting any. Miwah leaned closer, and I still clutched the one fruit, one which hadn't been used.

"This one goes to Miwah, please."

My beautiful werewolf lady's body has grown, but unlike her smaller sister, her newer form wasn't the one of the jackal. She remained the same, if even slightly taller, gorgeous anthropomorphic canine, with the full, feminine body, underlining she was every bit the elegant, voluptuous lady Tama also was.

Unlike Narita's horns, or Tama's multiple fluffy tails, there weren't any additional traits, just the almost ethereal beauty of the ghostly pale fur, and the blue eyes of the warm flame.

Unit evolved! Miwah, The Broodmother of Darkness and Deceit
307 could be Evolved until Innate resources run out

"Why deceit?" I pondered, as she had retained her wolf-like shape, now with a more exaggerated spectral hue, not exactly the symbol of the tricker. Symbolically, that should be the role of the fox, as far I remembered, but the powers beyond the system had different ideas.

Then, Miwah changed shape, and where she once stood, there was a human female, very similar to Ari, of the same ethnicity with the same dark raven hair and still the same hauntingly beautiful eyes my anthropomorphic werewolf had. Even the local clothing was reproduced.

I didn't expect this. New abilities were unseen so far, though the full extent of Tama's power hasn't been tested. Strangely enough, it felt wrong - the human shape was young, but something in me prevented me from appreciating it.

"Change back, Miwah." I said, and with the shift of shadows, the white she-wolf was back.

I reached to kiss her. There was something appreciable about her mane, and fur, and snout - she was my wolf mate. Nothing could replace that.

"I want to know why it is this way, but let's go rest for the night."

One of the mysteries the Scroll wasn't still answering was why I felt that females of my species were supposed to look this way, rather than human-like. My memories left me so conflicted on this point.

But the answers, they would have to wait for tomorrow.

Chapter 90: Awaken and Escalate
A slow, soft heartbeat resonated through my mind, or even my very being.

Tap-tap-tap.

More a concept of sound, reminiscence of sound, than anything else, as once again the series of shifting images had taken hold of my view, changing as one would browse television channels set to mute, each one offering something new.

Here there was a group of the anthropomorphic moths - 'Mutators' - gathered around the green pond in the palace's garden where they wove the grass and branches into an even more intricate tapestry of creation, while the Tree of Arcane loomed above them, already preparing to bear even more of its mutagenic fruit.

Then it was gone. Only the throbbing rhythm of the heart remained: lazy, slow, resting.

Gone was the garden and its magically grafted plants. I stood in the shade of the city's library, countless more mundane documents piled up on shelves, spread on the table, or piled on the ground.. A lone jackal-like girl tossed around the collection of manuscripts, frustrated expression on her canine snout, paper after paper flowed out for the smaller, more ordinary 'Eviscerator' canines to catch, delegating the carrying to the empty-eyed zombified human nearby.

A new vision.

Sun shone down on the rocky beach. The 'Tidereaver' - the shark-octopus girl- lazily squelched in the low tide, sending waves disproportionate to her small size, while more of her kind swam in the depths of the sea, sending haplessfish to crash against the rocks of the coast.

On the coast, a crowd of 'Purifiers' prepared the food, energetically fuelling the large fire to grill the day's catch, while other breeds gathered for the feast, their joyful chants and cries silent in the soundless vision, yet still reverberating through the air.

The distant heart continued to beat in a steady rhythm, still calm and slumbering.

The scene shifted to a flying eagle-view above the growing, bustling hive, where the watchtowers and palisades of the logs and planks fused with the magically altered plants. Gone were the hamlets of the original human inhabitants, swallowed by the ever-growing, ever-changing tide of the vibrant colours of the otherworldly flora. A hundred of the furry bodies milling around, caught in play or at work, milling around, while a flock of anthropomorphic bats flew in a lazy formation towards the castle emerging in the distance.

The slow pulse continued, and the image once again changed.

A gigantic crab trotted up the cobbled road, haphazardly arranged cargo on its shell, followed by a handful of the mutant roach-hounds.

More construction was made ahead around the vine covered pagoda that no longer resembled the look that welcomed me to the world, with the towering structure a mere shadow of itself, covered in the creeper plants. There, in the garden on the otherworldly fruits, the reptilian 'Corruptors' sorted a pile of berries, cored them, putting them into the large pottery under the oversight of their well-dressed 'Alpha'.

A thought occurred to me. Didn't I want to speak with Lily about something?

My mind was sluggish though, only the heartbeat, pulsing soundlessly, increased its pace, roused from its slumber.

The scenery changed, as many kilometres away, in the ruins of the town put to torch, a new life sprouted where the 'Fleshspeakers' congregated, circling above their thralls of flesh and bone, changed to their newest whims.

As the rat-like 'Defiler' tested the new living weapon, an ugly, moving flesh lump resembling a hand-held cannon, releasing the torrent of spikes lodging themselves deeply into the half-ruined fort's wall.

Once again, in the feverish haze, I was back on the coast, roaring above the fishing village, an oasis of normality in the shade of the black tree reaching menacingly towards the sky, like claws reaching to tear down the heavens.

I flew above the paddies of overgrown rice, some still waiting for their harvest, others turned the spawning basins in which the new, mutated crustaceans were grown in the puddles of glowing algae, as the few 'Mutator' moths applied more of their magic to the mixture of transforming dulse while the 'Fleshspeaker' argued about even further nature-defying designs.

Heartbeat grew stronger and stronger with increasing tempo as the view drew closer and closer to that black tree spreading its roots and branches into the land, and the sky.

A group of the villagers, humans, their presence out-of-place, gathered around a young woman. They bowed down in supplication as Ari raised her hands towards the sky, her lips moving in soundless chant, as the sensation of the pacing heart raced even faster.

The cracks in the tree began to glow a sickly, verdant green and …

I jolted awake.

Gone were the visions of the land and my people.

It was just a dream, again..

Why did I keep getting those?

I sighed.

The sun was up already, with plenty of light as the window shutters were open already.

Why hadn't it woken me up yet? Dreams, sometimes symbolic, sometimes nightmares, and sometimes shifting images seen from other eyes, without rhyme or reason, weren't persistent enough earlier.

I was back in our bedroom inside the castle, in the warm, and safe embrace of silky fur. It felt so right.

This time, however, I was laid atop of Ekaterina, the still snoozing bear-girl didn't seem to care, or even notice the weight atop of her, as this time it was both me and Miwah that were snuggling close.

As demeaning I thought it should be to her being turned to the fluffy mattress, she didn't seem to mind. I still rolled down, putting myself in the equally soft embrace of my other mate.

Miwah eagerly held me close, and I welcomed it, burying my face in her soft fur. Unlike other of my girls that did have a characteristic smell of their own, ranging from earthy one, flowers, or even burnt wood, the pale wolf-girl was completely scentless.

It was likely to help with stealth. She could, after all, turn invisible, move through shadows, or recently, even get an illusionary human appearance, but her abilities were no concern to me now. She was my companion, my girl, my mate, my love.

I thought about how comfortable I felt with her, or the rest of my girls. Miwah was an anthropomorphic wolf, but I found her gorgeous as she was, in her natural shape. The treacherous parts of my brain, where the susurrant voices of the host also resided, told me attraction towards her was normal. After all, this was how females of my species looked like.

Yet, I had human memories, with different definitions of attractiveness so distant they may as well not matter anymore, despite not being so distant in time.

"Master?" Tama purred to my ear, adding a pleasant sensation of the warm fur to those that already surrounded me. At least she wasn't heavy.

I turned my head and gave my beautiful vixen a kiss. Her rough tongue didn't feel bad - it was becoming a new normal, although it shouldn't be to the rational … human.

I didn't recoil, because Tama was one of mine. There were thousands of anthropomorphic fire vulpines like her, and I loved all my girls. Being able to recall the time back on Earth, yet lose the emotional connection to all of it, that should be concerning, to say the very least.

How much was really me?

"We would have plenty of time to relax, Master," she said, her voice sultry as always.

It felt appealing. I would certainly enjoy the more intimate moments between us, as I did last night.

However, as pleasurable it might be, I wasn't comfortable doing nothing meaningful while the rest of the host toiled away.

"We would have another ring of fortification completed before my kits are born, Master, and we would have plenty of food stored." Tama remarked, noticing I was listening in to the ruckus with the rest of the horde outside. They were turning all the surrounding lands upside down, as if my visions and the memories were correct. Brave was even attempting to build herself another castle.

"The root cellars, perhaps?" I asked. I wasn't sure if they thought of it, with 'Corruptor' magic forcing harvest in a matter of days, or even hours.

"My sisters are digging new ones, Master," she replied. "We are making sure there is a lot of food for the young."

"Are the Tidereavers fishing?" I asked, trying to verify the vision.

"Yes, Master."

Maybe I should try to inspect their work, however it seemed they could take care of the food and shelter quite competently on their own, and thought of storing it as well, and with the access to the sea combined with fishing simplified, we should have most needs taken care of.

Convinced I couldn't, or shouldn't, command our horde from the bed, cuddled by my wives a last time before I freed myself from their embrace.

Narita sat at the corner of the bed, grooming herself with a selection of combs likely borrowed from the city, as there was no place for her to snuggle closer. Our eyes met. She was quite a looker too, even though humans probably would find the fact that she was a rat-girl with horns objectionable. She, too, deserved all of my love.

I was always supposed to be surrounded by my girls, and they very welcomed the outward affection, even if they kept themselves composed and restrained when humans were around.

Humans…

The more I thought about it, the more it became a question of who I was, and where we came from. My thought came back to the recently recovered artefact, with the strange symbols, and the drawing of the red fog.

"I suppose it would take days to have the Scroll translated." I said, quietly, silently wondering if my arrival to this world was heralded with the same outburst of the red mist that gave life to my girls. Did we…

"Arke tasked Eris with helping us, but her drones could only read the local script.." Miwah interrupted me with an answer: "We don't know how to get any reference we need, Master."
That explained the vision of them ransacking the library.

"And what is the Sage doing?"

"San Hyun-Ki is translating." Miwah answered, "His writing is not coherent."

I resigned on the future attempt to remember the man by name, even if it would deserve a spot in history should he ever successfully translate the ancient manuscript. It didn't matter: the results I expected were days, months, even years away, as they relied on the knowledge and dedication of a single human. If the Scroll was a secret, a mystery of its own right, there weren't any records of it in the local archive.

Only the 'Lady' knew ….

How long do the dragons even need to recover?
Assuming she was resting and not dying. Her presence pulsated within the host, the connection at the back of my head, like the heartbeat that plagued my recent rest, but there was no answer. No nagging of the invisible, immaterial dragon.

It depended on a single human.

A single human…

The word gnawed at me like an imaginary brain parasite.

"Bath first, perhaps?" Tama offered, with the typical suggestion: "It should lift your mood, Master. If we can't do that … otherwise…"

Teasing did distract me, even if for brief moments. We still had that wooden tub. It was still there, in the room, from before, stealing a portion of the precious space in this chamber, and briefly I wondered whether the fairly clean city had baths, private or public, of its own.

Even if this was the best room in the castle - one for the lord - luxury clearly wasn't the first intent behind its design, since the official, lavish housing was within travelling distance.

"No… yes… perhaps." I muttered, considering refusing, only to realise that it would probably be for their benefit more so than mine. My girls had fine senses. Miwah didn't have a scent, but I guess I wasn't so lucky.

I gazed out, thinking, before I tried to free myself from my very pleasant company, and sat on the bed next to Narita. She looked at me, worried, tucked herself close. My mind, however, soon slipped to worry. Fortunately, more of my monster girls burst into the room making themselves as noticeable as possible.

This time, however, it wasn't the buckets of water that did the job, but the 'Displacer' - a little one that decided to make it through the window, and I guessed still the same one - teleporting in an octopus-girl‌, and with it, all the water they needed.

Nereida, or rather, her magic, considered the states of matter a subject of opinion, not a physical law, and transported the water in as the large, solid, translucent, not quite ice-ball, which then became fluid again.

Heating the ware was a mere flick of the fingers for Tama, which suggested her control was much more precise than her little sisters', who would just as likely set the entire room on fire.

It still didn't stop at least two ordinary fox girls from barging in and dumping a selection of strange, aromatic flowers into the bath, probably to freshen it up, with the cheerful "For Master!"

"Dance and song, Master?" Nereida offered, likely recalling how I referred to her as a mythical mermaid, but I somewhat rudely didn't pay attention to her.

My thoughts were somewhere else, not reacting to her, nor to the 'Purifiers' that brought in cloth for use as towels.

"Call me when you need, Master."

Nereida levitated herself outside, even if she loomed behind the window like the tentacled horror she was, but even if she failed to produce the visceral reaction of disgust it probably should.

Instead, she gave every impression of the exotic mermaid I named her after, now amusingly making pirouettes in the air while the droplets of water danced around her, rather than anything else. Our position at the riverbank likely turned her into a flyer with plenty of water to manipulate.

I took a better look at her.

An octopus girl, named after the mythical mermaid, made other pirouettes surrounded by even more water, drawn from the surroundings, imitating the sky dance. I looked at her even though her outfit, organic, improvised from what the 'Mutators' and 'Fleshspeaker' could produce to preserve her modesty, gave her the thematic look. They even found the shells…

My girls didn't mind, and prepared themselves for the next day, with Tama even convincing her little sisters to brush her multiple fluffy tails, much to everyone's amusement as the sensation set her tails to flicking about, with the little ones still hanging on. Even Miwah, normally very modest and humble, had a 'handmaiden Eviscerator'.

Narita, not caring for getting wet, but very interested in grooming me, slipped into the water, but I didn't allow myself to get tempted by her sleek body and the unavoidable closeness, and didn't become the distraction she would hoped to be as my mind was completely consumed by the questions of identity and memory.
While I couldn't ask them if I was human - they thought the idea was ridiculous - I could query them about something from Earth. I didn't know what exactly, but I wanted to…

I didn't know what I wanted, except to find some resemblance of sense within my situation.

"Narita?" I asked, looking at her, looking into her ruby eyes. They were pretty, I thought, but shook away the temptation.

"Yes-yes, Master?" she replied without hesitation.

"Tell me how a combustion engine works."

It was an idiotic query, as I wasn't an engineer. It was just something I only vaguely understood and was possibly the most irrelevant to our situation as it could be. She answered it almost immediately, with just a brief flash of recognition behind her red eyes.

"Expanding gases from. Ignited fuel in the tube. Push the piston with rotations. The crankshaft. Master. Repeat in cycles."

Her speech was fractured, as Narita always spoke this way, but the facts were something she couldn't even possibly know as they had never heard of it before. There were no such things in this world, and they could only know with the basic education from Earth.

"Do you know how to make potassium nitrate?" I tried.

In truth, I didn't know, and neither did Narita:

"I don't know, Master." she said, "Arke. Not caught human's gunpowder makers."

I paused.

"Master?"

I thought I confused her, but even if she couldn't answer what I personally didn't have an idea about, as I wasn't a chemist either, she could make a connection she once again couldn't know as I didn't speak of it either.

At least, I thought I didn't.

"How does a gun work?"

"Yes-yes, Master. A gunpowder. Ignited in the tube. Explodes. Launching a projectile!."she answered, now with pride, never breaking eye contact, just with the very same flash of recognition she had once before.

The natives, though already using gunpowder, didn't make the jump of logic yet, but Narita could. She even didn't stop brushing me, caring a little for the weird question she doesn't even have to think hard about.

While I wasn't ready to bring any reasonable technological innovation to this world, there were large gaps in my knowledge for that, it became painfully obvious that the girls weren't operating by the limitation of knowledge this world had.

We were all outsiders for the human, but the divide between me, and my girls, were growing smaller by the second - if there was any from the start. The host was whispering quietly at the back of my brain even now.

"Master..." Tama moaned. Her two little fox sisters kept brushing her tails.

I was about to test their knowledge of other subjects, geography of Earth, something technological again, not remotely relevant to my situation, even a personal one, but it felt futile, pointless.

There was recognition even behind Tama's eyes, and whispers in the back of my head.

They knew what I knew, and we weren't from there, but the idea of the uniqueness of my memories slipped away quickly, turned insubstantial.

"If you remember everything I do, why do you believe I am not human?"

I tried, somewhat desperately, but Narita only pushed herself close. It was arousing, but the crisis of identity ruined the moment even further.

"You are the Master." She said, "Always were. Always, will be. We have only one master."

Miwah, in the meantime, stood up in the bed and walked behind me, her fingers brushing my back, calming my agitation.

The wolf-girl's claws never hurt me, even in moments of passion. They were soothing even now, gently scratching, as I struggled to test whether my unique memories even mattered.

"But Earth…" I protested, somewhat weakly.

"Humans are humans, Master. If they threaten you, we kill them all." Miwah said with terrifying certainty.

I held Narita. It was tempting, arousing, but the moment was ruined by a 'Displacer' deciding to join in, splashing in the bath, defying the feline's distaste of water.

"For Master!" She voiced her unwavering support, but it was still somewhat distracting, as even though I was comfortable with my girls, the propensity of my cat-girls randomly, and rather impulsively, teleporting around, killed it even more.

I wasn't quite ready to see the world until I was, once again, dressed.

Gently pushing Narita away, even if it was hard, I decided to get out of the bath, dress up, and …

I didn't, in fact, know what to do. Resisting Tama teasing about making kittens, and giving the over-affectionate 'Displacer' a friendly pat, I realised something.

"Where is Mai?" I asked.

The scaly lady wasn't around for the night. In truth, I didn't see her for the entire day before. Though not the most social creature, owing it perhaps to her reptilian part of the heritage, it was unlike her to not show herself at all. The wanderlust was more of Sora's thing.

"She is guarding eggs, Master." I was told.

"Eggs?"

As much as 'Corruptors' rambled about them lately, I didn't see them lay them, and as much unprepared as I was for the eventuality that my girls could, in truth, have offspring, I couldn't ignore it.

"Take me to see them!"

I ordered.

"For Master!"

I must have said it with quite the urgency as the moments after, I was already dragged through the ever shifting void to the new destination, with only ever-enthusiastic feline to keep me company.

When the normal space restored itself a moment after, I stood in the middle of the cobbled courtyard of the shrine, dressed in only the silky pants, with the 'Displacer' dripping water as she was the one who jumped into the bath previously.

"For Master!" She announced, with a meow, showing displeasure at having her fur and the blouse, one that compromised her entire outfit, wet. It wasn't that urgent, I thought, but I was already there and the 'Corruptors' around me noticed.

"For Master! Master! Master!"

I looked around. They changed this place quite a bit. Not only is there another version of the Tree of Arcane here, with a handful of its strange transformative fruit ready to use, nothing in our surroundings resembled the location I visited on my first day in this world.

It was a half-orchard, half-fortress, with the more fruit-bearing trees of the less enchanted, but still otherworldly variety, encased behind the partial cupola of the bramble and brier so massive the individual thorns were grown to the size of thorns.

The buildings the human had built were still there, but now thoroughly hidden behind the creeper wines.

"Master." A familiar voice said, somewhat apologetic in tone: "Mai insisted on laying the eggs here. We are doing our best to keep them safe."

Lily walked to me, gesturing around. Their organic superstructure around even had holes for the little 'Corruptors' to hide within, and they even took crossbows and bows we looted from the humans to arm themselves.

There was a spear and shield equipped 'Corruptors' standing guard even.
"Can I see them?" I asked.

"Of course, Master," she said, gesturing towards the now overgrown pagoda. The 'Corruptor' that acted as guard ushered me in.

It was strange to make a nest there, but I couldn't fault Mai for following her instincts on this.

Maybe there was something special about this place, something the castle couldn't fulfil.
I found Mai asleep inside what used to be the pagoda's shrine, on the pedestal which once was the dragon statue transformed into the bed of hay, leaves and flowers she could lay on, with the original idol thrown out, or destroyed.

Most decorations were now covered by the creep, and it was now warm and moist there, with the musky odour from all the surrounding plants.

There were three eggs partially covered in dried leaves, grass and other plant matter, shining out through the covering thanks to their white and black scaly structure. Just like Mai was, now as the 'bride'.

I kneeled next to them, and wanted to touch them, but stopped myself as they probably need to be kept at the correct moisture and temperature as they arranged there, and refrained from touching them.

Still, they looked fairly large, like one of the ostriches, far too big for Mai's body. They grow insanely fast, as it has been only a day and night, twenty-four hours, and my bride looked quite slim back then. It meant that 'Corruptor' could lay an egg every few hours without considerable impact on their physique…

"Master?" Mai said, opening her eyes, blinking lethargically with her double eyelids.

She apparently wasn't quite ready to run off.

"Rest. Mai. Do you need anything for the eggs?"

I asked. She apparently didn't need to warm the eggs herself, but otherwise, it was up to her interpretation.

"No, Master." she said, tired, "My sisters are taking care of everything…"

"Shouldn't we bring a Defiler there to heal you? Or…" I asked, worried. It was a strange feeling, the idea of having children, even more so if the mother was an anthropomorphic lizard girl.

"We probably shouldn't remove life from nearby, Master." She said, looking behind me. Lily stood in the doorway, flanked by the smaller 'Corruptors', but I was more focused on the tree of the arcane.

Do I need to keep it there or the eggs would come out badly?

What exactly do I need to do?

My uncertainty, however, didn't last, as all of the sudden, the heart-beat that plagued my dreams had returned, drumming not in my chest, but at the back of my head, and then …

It stopped, and in its place, a voice emerged.

"Root…"

It was the dragoness voice. Weak, distant, but present.

I looked at Mai, then at Lily.

The 'Displacer' found her way in. She doesn't look any drier than the moment before, ready to transport me at the moment notice.

"Root!"

The voice repeated, now slightly stronger, but still, fairly weak compared to what it once had been when it was booming from the heavens. The 'Lady' still had not materialised in flesh, no maw emerging from nowhere.

"Master, you may need to be there." Mai and Lily said, almost in unison.

But, the eggs...

I have to trust that 'Corruptors' knew what they were doing.

"Root!" The 'Lady' was insistent, but still, she wasn't the speech that she once performed.

Maybe she couldn't manifest outside her remaining shrines, I assumed, and may want to speak with me in person. She had this limitation before, until we were, somehow, linked together, then she could pester both me and the rest of the host from the comfort of her spiritual realm among the clouds.

No delay.

"Where? Take me there." I ordered

The 'Displacer' pulled me through her rift, as unprepared as I was for the official meeting with our supposed ally. The few long moments in the even shifting void beyond, and I was back to normal space.

This was, however, not the temple.

I was back at the fishing village, in the base of the great jet black tree reaching for the heavens that was to serve as the symbol, albeit not designed by me.

And among the enormous cracked roots, a new figure kneeled.

"Root!" It said - she said.

The 'Lady'. It was her voice, it even sounded similar, if diminished, but the body certainly wasn't.

Gone was the traditional, long, serpentine body of the Asian-styled dragon with its enormous size, towering the mortals. Instead, there was a small, human-sized body of the anthropomorphic dragon, resembling more of one of my girls than the being the 'Lady' once was.

She still had her mane, small antlers, and even the scales of the typical blue-green shade she sported before, but now, it was compiled into a very feminine shape with the round breasts on a quite tall, athletic build. There were elegant shapes, like tattoos, curling around her body. I looked at her as she managed to get herself in the standing position on her taloned digitigrade legs, similar to one my 'Corruptors' had.

"Root!" She repeated, notably angrier in tone.

The 'Lady' - or her smaller version, rather - looked down at her clawed hands, then looked at me. Pointy ears were strange, but the little whiskers at her rather adorable nozzle were quite cute too, and her glowing eyes, unfortunately quite scary as she glared first at our surroundings, and then at me.

"Root, what have you done?" She asked, first quietly, then raised her voice as the system unexpectedly sparked to life.

Divinity has been defiled!
Resources income gained!
We are rushing towards the end of days!

The flickering overlay window interrupted the moment as the frustrated dragoness exclaimed:

"Root! What have you done!"

Ah.
I suspect not enough worship, or rather…
Between losing her worshippers and needing to hand them over tot he Root to use the warping effect…She lost the strength to remain a seperate entity.
Now, one could argue Angela screwed the deal to keep out of Dragon lands, and I will blame her for that even if the Root would protect her…
But this was 100% Red's fault.
It bodes ill for the Serpent, in theory, but I bet that one's careful and more importantly, won't be forced to blow all it's power to protect the master when the Root's minions start causing problems.

Now, one could argue Angela screwed the deal to keep out of Dragon lands, and I will blame her for that even if the Root would protect her…
Do you think that other dragons would stick to the deal if Root's forces didn't continue with attacks? Or would they be too annoyed by the Lady's deal, and Root's presence, that any negotiation was off the table?

Do you think that other dragons would stick to the deal if Root's forces didn't continue with attacks? Or would they be too annoyed by the Lady's deal, and Root's presence, that any negotiation was off the table?
Maaaybe? The big thing is we don't get the Lady directly intervening to preserve the Master after the deal breaks. That, I think was the step that prompted the destruction of her worshippers and lead to her running out of power to exist within the Root as a connected but seperate entity, and prompted her being 'defiled' as it were…
But if the Dragons were going to do that anyway then Nevermind she was doomed the moment she tried to negotiate…But I doubt it. If that were the case I doubt Red would have even tried to broker the deal to begin with.

Chapter 91: Smell the Ashes
I wasn't quite certain why, or how, was the 'Lady' back, but I couldn't help myself to appreciate her new, significantly more anthropomorphized, and quite charming, form, more reminiscent of the ones my girls had. Her original body, the serpentine shape of the eastern-style dragon, hadn't shown anything that would suggest the preferred gender, but now, now she had femininity to share.

Unfortunately, she was apparently not too happy about the improvement, and in her rage, she burned the face of the human onlooker that tried to look at her from deep bows, heads lowered to the ground.

I had her teleported away, and ordered the burned man healed, not bothering to check who he was.

Taking the raging 'Lady' back to the city was a split second decision.

I wasn't quite certain whether her new form could survive the trip through the 'Displacer' rifts, and taking her into the city full of humans could prove even more disastrous, but I simply guessed she didn't like the humans admiring her new form. It was, without a doubt, very different, and it did not come with any clothes.

It was quite clear he didn't appreciate peeking.

The temple on the palace grounds seemed a perfect location. It was a shrine dedicated to the Viridian High Lady, originally alongside the rest of the dragon pantheon, before her rogue priest took the hammer to the representation of her 'siblings'.

It was isolated from the city behind the high walls, yielding unparalleled privacy within. I assumed that the shrine within the palace complex was only for the privileged few, unlikely to draw the attention of regular worshippers, random out-lookers or the explorers, especially in the aftermath of the riots.

Arke should have that place locked down, considering how much she loved lounging in the Viceroy's throne room, much to the legitimate ruler's dismay.

That was, too, a mistake. Seeing her own statue, portraying her in their original, eastern-style dragon form, enraged her even more, but at least it provided her with a convenient punching bag she could crush.

She wasn't weak. Not only could she conjure small fires to inflict wounds, her strength and durability was far above human, allowing her to crack the stone, and as far I could tell, she could even levitate for, at least, limited time.

I watched her rampage, one eye on the 'Overview' screen, the other on the raging dragoness, while the rest of my girls arrived in force. Tama, and Miwah, along with Narita and Ekaterina, also Kuma, Lily, Nereida, even Sora with all of her 'Warpstalker' sisters, with the few 'Mutators' and 'Overseers' buzzing and circling overhead, yet the 'Lady' didn't attack any of them.

The Master
<The Root of All Evil, level 9><Divinity, level. 2>
Skills <9/9>
<Scorched Earth lvl.38><Slayer of Men lvl.35><Great Devourer lvl.73><Green Hell lvl. 42>
<Slayer of Champions lvl. 20><Stalker on the Boundary lvl. 10><Messengers of the Ever-Living Horde Lvl.21><Viridian Dominions Unbound lvl.4>
Terror From the Abyss lvl.3<Unlock in 6> Resource: 305 <+2 / day>
Mates
Miwah, The Broodmother of Darkness and DeceitTama, The Broodmother of Purging Flame
Narita, The Bride of EssenceMai, The Bride of Forest
Ekaterina, The Bride of Soul Steel
Progeny
<1 * Germinal Stage / Purifier-strain> <3 Egg Fertilised / Corruptor-strain>
Units (Active)
<Helmy, The Purger Alpha><Evolved Alpha>
<Commands>
<5,921/6,389>
26 Named Purifiers
1 Named Purger
5,894 Purifiers
Brave, The Eradicator Alpha<Evolved Alpha>
<Commands>
<6412/6907>
57 Named Eviscerators
8 Named Eradicators
6,347 Eviscerators
Mia, The Devourer Alpha<Evolved Alpha>
<Commands>
<6,355/6,508>
8* Named Devourers6,347 Defilers
Lily, The Corruptor Alpha<Commands>
<2856/3288>
14 Named Corruptors2,842 Corruptors
Kuma, The First Obliterator<Evolved Alpha>
<Commands>
<664/1294>
4 Named Ravagers659 Ravagers
1 Obliterator
Sora, The Warpstalker Alpha<Evolved Alpha>
<Commands>
<392/1112>
4 Named Warpstalker392 Displacers
Arke, The Overseer Alpha<Evolved Commands>
<410/1031>
7 Named Overseers363 Fleshspeakers
40 Overseers
Kirke, The Mutator Alpha<Commands>
<48/822>
1 Named Mutator47 Mutators
Nereida, The Tidereaver Alpha <Commands>
<18/279>
n/a18 Tidereavers
Auxiliary
Ari, The Herald of Root and SerpentLady, The Fallen
4* Deacons79* Acolytes794* Flesh Drones
Units (In queue)
NoneNoneNoneNone
Sealed units
n/an/an/an/a

A few times, I glanced away from the floating screen, flinching, instinctively trying to duck or dodge the incoming debris, but none came my way.

The 'Lady' was quite satisfied with destroying her own statue, along with a couple of already defaced ones that were once likely portraying her brothers, but that was about it.

Still, I couldn't tell what happened.
The 'Lady' now referred to as the 'the fallen' was indeed listed, not as the 'unit' the way the rest of my girls were, but as the 'Auxiliary', a section that has been reserved for the humans brought into the fold under the varying circumstances. Ari was, essentially, only a volunteer there. The dragoness' former clergy were mostly driven insane, while the rest were nothing more than the flesh puppets controlled by the 'Fleshspeakers'.

None of it had explained precisely what happened.

I suspected either Ari or one of the rogue priests tried to perform the ritual to wake her up, possibly in tandem with Kirke, since it was another of the alien trees that served as a cocoon, but…

"What the.." I cursed when a loud crash signalled the end of Lady's temper tantrum.

Once she was satisfied with obliterating the statues, and collapsing the roof that originally protected the shrine's altar from the rain, she sat on one of the collapsed beams, huffing and puffing, likely more from anger than exhaustion.

She stared down at her clawed hand again. I would expect some bleeding, or even broken bones, if a human did the same thing she did, but she was apparently relatively fine.

Her plumed tail bashed against the ground. Unlike 'Corruptors', who had feathers, the 'Lady' had dark ochre fluff, or rather hair, at the end of her tail, somewhat matching her blue-green scales.

Judging from the expression,I guessed her tail movements weren't a 'happy' sign for anthropomorphic dragons.

"What did you do, Root?" she asked, visibly upset, while she clawed the empty air, almost as she was trying to grab something only she could see. If she saw the same floating windows as I occasionally did, I couldn't see them.

I didn't know what to say to ease the tension, so instead of tempting fate with something not-quite bright and unfit for the situation, I went with the simplest:

"We tried to wake you up…"

It wasn't any better. The rage she unleashed on her surroundings still smouldered behind her glowing eyes as she shot her gaze towards me.

"How? What did you do, Root?" The 'Lady' asked again, distressed, when Kirke landed nearby.

"You came from the tree Kirke created." I answered. It was true, though it explained very little, as we, ourselves, were quite in the dark about the rules that governed the dragons themselves, and their magic, centred around worship and ritual.

I only knew that the 'system' now recognized her as the part of us, and considering the zombified 'drones' exist, membership wasn't always voluntary.

"It was the ritual the human priest remembered and Ari performed, Master. Sacrifices had to be made upon the altar…" Kirke explained, her mandibles twitching nervously, as did her wings. The idea of the ritual gone horribly wrong - or right, her new form wasn't awful to look at - was plausible…

It must be the ceremony I saw in my dreams. I never thought of it until it was too late.

"Sacrifices? How?" the dragon lady asked, paused, then burst out once again almost as she realised something.

"You turned me into your spawn! What did you do?" she boomed and jumped up. Kirke, despite being quite fragile, was quick to place herself between the angry dragoness and myself, as the rest of my girls also prepared to intervene, but there was no need.

"Did you attempt to bind me?"

"We…" I said, carefully, with a pause: "...we attempted to wake you up. There was no guarantee you would wake up on your own after you went suddenly quiet. As far as I understand…"

A pause from my side -a few, painful seconds at which my mind raced along with the rising whispers at my head - then I continued, slowly, deliberately:

"Your powers are fueled by worship, as you told us, but we either couldn't provide you with enough, or we didn't know the correct …"

"So you supplanted my wanting powers with your essence! You turned me into your spawn!" she yelled.
I didn't know that. I wasn't even sure if 'spawn' fitted - even if it was, if I recalled correctly, how the dragons referred to my people, and the red one had used the same expression - the 'new Lady' hasn't been listed among my usual followers. If anything, she was shoved in the same category as Ari was, along with drones and insane priests. A 'converted' could be an appropriate term, but I opted for better words.

"I would say, local ally." Then, slightly frustrated by the entire situation, I summarised: "We restored you back to consciousness and reunited you with your worshippers. I tried to honour our agreement…"

"You ruined everything!" She raised her voice in accusatory voice,

"You left us with very little to work with." I said, stepping forward, in the attempt to show confidence and defuse the situation: "You are still clearly you, and alive. There was no guarantee you would ever wake up…"

It wasn't exactly the smartest idea, since the Lady's current form was quite powerful. I saw her punching rocks, throwing the wooden beams, or causing burns from the distance, but it couldn't be helped.

"You turned me into your spawn," she repeated, then paused, considering something. Her eyes searched her surroundings, looking for something. It started to be rather strange, almost as she perceived the world quite different from me, then she looked down on her own body, and then, once again, bursted out in the accusatory:

"It's all gone! Everything is gone! There is no point!"

I only guessed she referred to her previous, more traditional, dragon body, as opposed to the more humanoid shape she had.

"You are quite beautiful, as all my girls are." I said, assuming her objection was against waking up in an entirely different body, much akin to my girls rather than the local idea of the dragon.

The whole inner struggle of why I felt this way about my girls, considering the short time spent together, wasn't solved for me, but there was very little I could do to calm the 'Lady' and her unexpected transformation. It was a stupid line when I thought of it.

"No! Not the physical form! Everything. The essence! The connection with the barrier! My power! Everything is gone!" she rambled, "The voices of your spawn! Do they ever shut up?"

I didn't know the answer to that - the link, the permanent presence of the host - I used to be shielded from it for most of the time, then out of the sudden, become accustomed to it, even tuning it out.

Whether she indeed lost her powers was indeed a question, as her current body certainly has at least some magical abilities to her name, and wasn't, by any means, helpless. I could assume it was the measure of scale that bothered her, however, before I could say anything, the dragon lady continued,

"...my worshippers. They are there. They are screaming into the dark!"

It made me puzzled whether her being able to hear the voices of her worshippers was an ability she had before, or was related to her sudden ability to hear the rest of the host. Ari certainly gained a certain level of connection with us, abruptly being able to understand without learning the language, and her unexplainable immunity to power, but that certainly wasn't a universal rule.

Or was it?

"I could certainly reunite with your followers." I offered, but she ignored me.

The 'Lady' looked around, searching for something only her eyes could see, while I remained rather confused and lost in how it all worked.

"....the barrier had weakened too! I know it is there, but… it's…"

Another pause.

"...it is not what I wanted…"

She turned back and returned to sit down on the overturned wooden beam and went quiet.

Despite her increasingly erratic behaviour since she had awakened, one that made her potentially quite dangerous to bystanders, considering her considerable strength and unpredictable outbursts, I still sat down next to her.

My girls tried to surround us, coming closer, ready to intervene, to grab her should she try to grab and throw me around as she did with stone and wood, but no such thing happened. The 'Lady' stopped caring whether Ekaterina looms above us, or for Tama trying to flank us, not even for the little 'Displacer' coming close enough to drag me through the rift.

The dragoness, now, felt rather depressed, gloomy, melancholic even, almost as some unseen switch swapped it over. Maybe she was always prone to outbursts, or perhaps some realisation dawned on her.

I didn't know.

"I am afraid." She said it was the part of her I didn't see before, as she was more boisterous, or enraged, before. Now, however, it changed, like with the flip of a switch..

"I don't know what is going to happen after the barrier collapses, Root," she added, her tone unexpectedly dejected and notably sad.
"Didn't you say that attempting to destroy the scrolls would destroy the barrier?" I said, vaguely remembering she once said that. It was, as far I could tell, her motivation to even offer us the agreement, the pact of sorts.

"Yes, it would…."

"We did not destroy the scroll." I said, which was true.

I didn't understand the issue - not only we never tried to destroy the artefact we recovered, we also tried to prevent its activation.

The 'Lady' shot me a glance with her glowing eyes, her rage now replaced with the resignation behind them. It made me wonder briefly why I was even so adept at reading the expression. But then she spoke again, with a sigh that reflected more sadness than frustration.

"When we ascended, immortal, powerful beyond imagination, we came aware of the worlds beyond this one where our power mattered very little. We were gods, but there were beings more powerful still. We became afraid. Pooled our power, raised the barrier around the world, so we could reign unrestricted…."

Her voice, once angry, was suddenly rather soft and melancholic, which was quite unlike her previous outburst filled with fury.

"...we removed your taint, Root, and this world was ours to rule as we saw fit."

"I am still here." I said, even if I, for a fact, didn't remember any of it. Memories had become a somewhat touchy subject recently, and rather than referencing Earth, I decided to simply run with the Lady's idea of me being the 'Root' she referenced.

"Yes, you are, Root…" she said. It sounded more like an unfortunate fact than anything else, no hint of her considering that I might be a different person from the one she once encountered.

"...then we discovered the scrolls. They weren't scrolls back then, but puny tablets of clay the mortals wanted to use in search of power that rival ours. We crushed them too, the would-be sorcerers along with their writings. Our might was unrivalled."

She explained.

"The scrolls are still there. I even found one, buried under the sea. " I said.

It was even here, in the palace, somewhere nearby, transmitting its presence, wanting to be found. The 'Lady' couldn't miss it. Though, one we found wasn't certainly a tablet, it was a parchment, or perhaps some enchanted, durable paper, or a similar material.

"Yes, it was only a matter of time before they were re-created, carved into stone…" she continued, apathetic to the artefact's call.

"The casket? Sarcophagus buried at the sea that housed the scroll?"

She was not around when we found it, still in her slumber.

".No. Not the containers, those were created by us. The other versions of the scrolls are gone now. They are a very primordial power that could and would defy us, one that predates our very ascension, and couldn't be permanently destroyed. We could destroy the vessels, stone, clay, paper, but their very essence would remain in perpetuity. We didn't know it back then. We thought they would be gone for good…"

I looked around.

My girls were still on alert, hovering over us, while the 'Lady' clearly experienced something akin to the depressive phrase, focused on telling the story.

"....we were distracted, fighting your repeated incursions…"

My incursions?

I have never been there before. At least, I didn't have any recollection of those events, and the idea of them even transpiring seemed rather unbelievable. My memories were, if anything, exclusively about Earth.

"...I don't think I remember." I admitted, finally.

She doesn't seem to notice my confusion about this.

"I don't think I remember how many times we killed you, either."

"Each time we destroyed the scrolls, and they were forcibly recreated, the barrier became more and more difficult to maintain."

I opted to stay silent, allowing her to continue the story. It wasn't quite the answer I was looking for, but if I am going to learn anything about the origin of this power that brought me here, and how it even came to be, it was now.

"Remember when we banished you last time...the barrier was barely holding, but we had won…"

Somehow, I had even more questions now, however; I realised it wasn't the time or place to ask them.

"It took a longer time for the scrolls to be recreated, and we made certain that we would confuse the mortals this time to make them weak, pliable. This Pho-us-kah made it easier for us to gain complete control where all the power was. We don't know where he came from, but it didn't matter. Only his version remained, and we had them."

A pause. Her sad, somewhat melancholic attitude, contrasting with the animosity she had shown a moment ago, confused even the host, as the whispers in the back of my head continued to query. Yet no one spoke up aloud. Only the dragoness.

"...we didn't care when humans fought over the Scrolls. They didn't seem to understand they did not necessarily need all of them anymore, and the guardians we appointed were now even more faithful."

"Hmmm." I acknowledged it, but the 'Lady', she did not pay me any mind right now, and didn't look a single bit like she would throw another wooden beam around. I let her talk.

"...then our Chosen One took the scroll…"

Who was the 'Chosen One' she spoke about? As far I could assume, all the priestesses - or priests, since the 'Lady' had a male clergy - were chosen by the dragons, bestowed powers, and probably under direct order to fight me for every inch. It was what happened in the coastal town, wasn't it?

"...I don't know how it ended with you…"

"What? The scroll?"

I gazed away, first at Miwah nearby, then on the 'Displacer' that lurked ever closer, then on the sky above, trying to remember. I was adamant we never encountered anything like the relic we lifted from the sea floor.

There was a message when the 'Ravagers' were created which spoke about it, yes, but not the actual, physical item we could interact with, one that could call to us. That was hard to miss. I didn't know what to make out of it, but I remained silent.

"My brothers wouldn't tolerate your pathetic incursions, but I had enough. It was not going to end. How many times we did this! I said, let you take some land, twist it with your magic as you always did! Humans would never get past your monsters if we didn't help them!"

She jumped up on her feet, or rather, talons, and exclaimed,

"If we gave you your share back then, at the start, nothing of this would have happened! You could have filled a continent with your abominations, and there would still be a space left for everyone! If we shared the world with you back then, nothing would have happened! And now…"

She turned around, her fluff-tipped tail lashed around, missing me, and took a few steps. The 'Lady' looked around, her eyes once again fixated on something she could only see. It was sufficiently different from the 'Alphas' gazing on the unseen horizon directing around the breeds, enough to question the dragoness' sanity.

It was worrisome.

"...now…"

Her behaviour felt increasingly erratic.

Maybe our efforts brought her back … wrong, somehow. It was worrisome. Her mood swings were sudden and violent, even if she didn't cause any injury to us directly yet.

"It's not all gone! The protection! Protection I placed upon you, it is still there! It is weak, but still there. You took this much from me, but it is still there! I don't know how it works." she ranted on, once again acting like she chased the invisible flies bothering her.

"...but how? It was a blessing! I needed my divine power for it. It was draining my reserves, but now, it is all gone…" she, once again, continued to rabble on.

Her eyes continued to dart around, making me once again question either her mental health, or the way she received the world around her. It was frustrating. She was lucid moments before, and now it looked like she slipped once again.

I could try to infuse her with the life-force, force a healing. Narita was there, and the garden was just beyond the gate, now filled with overgrown plants, 'Mutator' experiments, and a unique tree of Arcane.

That tree played an increasing role in our current predicament. I peered at Kirke, but I couldn't blame my moth-girl for anything, though I wondered if Arke, and the 'Fleshspeakers' would make it worse if her constructs served as the base…

"Would it disappear if I am gone?"

The 'Lady' continued to rant, but then, unexpectedly as it started, she suddenly quieted down, and asked,

"Can I die?"

I was out of ideas on how to handle the slightly bipolar dragoness, so seeing her distressing phrase, I made a call - I made a few steps forward, and hugged her.

It was a risk. We saw her punching the stone, collapsing the pillar - she could snap me like a twig - but she didn't.

"I am not interested in betraying you, if that is your concern." I assured her, "I don't know how it works for you, but I won't let you get harmed, either."

I held her. She was quite warm, despite the scaly nature of her body, and soft, despite her apparent durability. I could feel her on my skin. The whole commotion caught me shirtless, and she herself didn't get herself any clothes either, and hugging her wasn't any different from hugging Mai.

"Root?" she breathed out, surprised, but not offended. I think she wasn't certain what to do, what to say.

Good, because I didn't know either.

"You turned me into your spawn," she whispered. It didn't sound as accusatory this time around.

"I care for all of my spawn." I responded, even if it was strange to refer to my girls as that.

"Your spawn…"

She looked at me, the tears in her glowing eyes, almost like she had never been hugged before, and then a sudden, unexpected flash of realisation, an idea perhaps, flashed behind that gaze.

"Your spawn!" she exclaimed, enthusiastically now: "I understood! Copy of the copy of the copy of the copy of the copy…"

She darted forward towards one of the 'Ravagers' that blocked the entrance to the shrine, but she stopped after a few steps, turning around, whipping the surroundings with her tail.

"That's why you look different!'

The 'Lady' looked happier this time, which was progress, though I wasn't any closer in understanding what the hell she meant.

"That's why I don't have the powers. Why don't you show powers! Your spawn! More of them there are, the more powerful you are. More powerful you are, the more of them you spawn! You couldn't do anything else!"

She laughed maniacally, jumping up and down, chanting.

"Copy of the copy of the copy of the copy…."

Now I was positively certain she was crazy, which was a dangerously common occurrence among any friendly humans we encountered, save perhaps an overworked viceroy. Even Ari wasn't quite in her right mind when she joined…

It was worrying. Terrifying.

"You are giving all your power to your spawn! That's what happened! You are giving even the power of the scroll to the spawn! And they go on and on, until they consume everything in their path, making even more of themselves, until there is nothing else left…"

I remained silent while she continued to laugh.

"Copy of the copy of the copy…"

Yes, I was nearly certain the 'Lady' was insane. Ari was too, which made it an unsettling trend, though the memory-eating snake was real…

I didn't know anymore, but the 'Lady' didn't stop. Now she was excited.

"There would be more of them! More and more and more…"

The exponential growth was more the cause of concern for me than a benefit, as I didn't want my girls to suffer from the lack of resources.

"Then we would bring down the barrier, along with my brothers, and remake it anew, with combined numbers of your spawn!" she proclaimed, almost like she wanted to address the heavens above. Maybe, in a way, she did, but even knowing that her brothers - the other dragons - were demonstrably real, it still felt slightly unhinged.

"They said I was crazy! They will pay for not listening to me!" she continued, "We should have given you the land for your spawn from the start, but now, now everyone gets eaten!"

She howled and laughed and made a few steps forward. I think she was about to hug me, and had another thought about it - an abrupt change in her behaviour was worrying.

I decided to be rational about her latest obsession.

"Weren't you afraid what would happen should the barrier around the world go down literally a moment ago?" I pointed out, "I don't think destroying it is wise."

Not to mention, impossible, considering taking on other dragons directly would very likely be beyond our collective capabilities, and I still couldn't wrap my mind around the fact that the entire planet could sit in the middle of the immense barrier, like one that would harm, if not kill, my people, without disrupting our own existence.

How did it even work?

The world barrier, a planetary shield, whatever it was?

Not to mention the scroll and its astronomical diagram - I was afraid to even ask about the fog, if it was outside the boundary of said shield. Unfortunately, if the 'Lady' knew the answer, it was not a suitable moment to ask the crucial question now.

"I don't think I fully understand what your barriers do."

I objected, but she continued to pace around, back and forth, clearly excited, and continued to babble.

"Yes, because you don't make it! Your spawn must do it!' she continued, "I can't do it. But…"

She turned around once again, almost as if she had the 'eureka' moment.

"You could empower your Chosen instead! Then, we could deal with my brothers' champion! One fifth of her power is gone with me being your spawn!"

I don't even know if I could empower anyone, let alone to turn anyone into a chosen one in order. Ari was, I think, previously referred to as my chosen, but also a witch, and certainly a few other words I didn't catch before.

"I think we shouldn't make any rushed decisions." I said, and the irony of me saying that wasn't lost to me, but the 'Lady' seemed to be dead set on trying something.

I was now completely certain her brain had suffered in the transformation.

"Let me reconvene with my followers! I can still hear them! I'll answer them! And perhaps they could turn into your spawn!"

This sounded like a horrible idea, considering she had wounded one already, but considering we were already out of ideas about what to do with the entire camp of the dragoness' former clergy, I was ready to let it slide.

"Rest and get comfortable with your new body, please."

The 'Lady' didn't listen. Though, I thought she didn't, as it was obvious she was onto something. She could get us into trouble, but, nevertheless, I didn't see much point in even attempting to contain her, especially when she could somehow speak both our and local languages.

"Sora? Could you get her some clothes and take her to the village where we hold all her former priests?"

"Yes, Master."

The cat girl wouldn't be roaming this time. Luckily for me, she didn't object, and the 'Lady' still ranting about her scaling up shield experiment wasn't much to talk about, but it was a start, all things considered.

When they disappeared into the rift, I looked at my girls, much relieved that the crisis was somewhat over. Tama was about to remark something, I could feel it, though the 'Fleshspeaker' passing above forced me to remind them:

"And tell Arke, Angela and others - no zombification!"

I was certain any attempt to somewhat change the dragoness' remaining followers would result either in the mindless thrall, or the abomination like the 'brain-bug' and was prepared to veto any ideas the 'Lady' would come up with.

After all, I wanted her to somewhat stabilise first.

Then, looking through the shrine's gate into the garden, I was also stricken with the sudden inspiration. Perhaps, instead of letting the 'Lady' give 'Fleshspeakers' ideas, I could try to use the Tree of Arcane in a more appropriate way than a huge cocoon for the erratic dragon girl.

I could use its fruits.

The fruits of Arcane were safe for us. Ari was completely immune to the negative effects of our power, so the glowing, arcane fruit could indeed empower her just as it 'evolved' my girls. What would be a result was still a mystery, but I was reasonably certain it was safe.

Maybe the 'Lady' wasn't so crazy about suggesting this option. We had to try and expand our options to survive this world, and whatever was lying beyond it.

I was certain it would go better this time.

Ah maaan. If only the Root would let you think!
Lady just dumped a lot of relevant backstory and your primary takeaway is that she's crazy due to the emotional swings.
But! At least I'm here.
So, Dragons do…Skmething to Ascend. They come to a new world. They set up the barrier. They learn of the scrolls and smash em.
Problem: the scrolls keep coming back, weakening the barrier from within while the Root digs at it from the outside.
Explains a lot of dragon neglect that happened right there.
Also the mortals would use the scrolls to gain power so they didn't need to rely on the Dragon who probably tend to be jerks, since everything was for them to get to do as they pleased.
And all this fighting over the barrier has whittled it away and weakened it, drawing in more and more of the Dragon's vast power until they're left with a pittance.
As for the Lady's claim that if they had just shared the Root could have a continent and the rest would have been fine?
Well Lady, at least you're on the winning side.
Interesting inversion of the whole '4 Heavenly Kings' with that Chosen Princess…But I also imagine that the Princess will have Very Different opinions on the barrier coming down, as well as her Status as Chosen One diminishing…
And yes, I consider the Root the winning side-if it just gets to try again and again then the Dragons will run out of power.
Admittedly, I also notice the Dragons worked to make the Mortals weaker and more pliable and faithful to the Dragons.
Hrrrm. Well, another in the conga line of why they suck and why the Root is coming to ruin their garden.

And all this fighting over the barrier has whittled it away and weakened it, drawing in more and more of the Dragon's vast power until they're left with a pittance.
And it would still work, if only their Chosen One hadn't found herself on the losing side on the conflict between human factions while sitting on the stockpile of most dangerous artifacts in existence...

And it would still work, if only their Chosen One hadn't found herself on the losing side on the conflict between human factions while sitting on the stockpile of most dangerous artifacts in existence...
What gets me is that she had no clue what the scrolls would do.
Like…
If you trust her enough to invest her up to a Chosen One why not explain the Scrolls?

I can't help but think this whole affair goes so differently if she knew 'these scrolls break the world, so don't mess with them!'
Silly Dragons…

Chapter 92: In The Flesh
The shrine was in ruins.

Major portions of the roof, which originally covered the main altar along with the presiding statue of the head of the pantheon, had already collapsed. All the remaining statues had, too, been shattered to thousands of pieces, and another roofed part of the structure sagged precariously, threatening to fall down at any moment.

When a lone shingle hit the stone floor, I twitched, expecting another part of the building to cave in on itself.

I waited for a few moments, expecting a domino effect of ruin and destruction to follow, but to my surprise, the wooden frame held, at least for the time being. It would have to be torn down, eventually, and I was certain that the Viceroy wouldn't be ecstatic about the property damage we caused.

How was I going to handle this?

Place blame on 'the Lady', most likely. It was she who was enraged by her original form embodied by the statue, and the responsibility for the subsequent rampage was on her alone.

An alternative shrine, like one the 'Mutators', raised with their magic, could be created overnight, if only I understood how the whole mechanism with consecrated ground worked.

The 'Lady' - I would have to convince her to take a better name- implied I could do the same should I have a priestess, a chosen one, of my own, and have her to manage the temple itself, as well as all the potential petitioners.

But, I wasn't sold on the whole idea of the religion, and would ignore it if it wasn't for our dragon ally, but now, I no longer have a choice.

The shrine would get a new appearance, courtesy of Kirke and her sister-moths. Unlike the 'Corruptors', focusing on the brute force and the effect, the 'Mutators' were capable of much finer control if they wanted, and were also responsible for creating a royal-jelly equivalent for our kind - the Arcane Fruits.

I found the anthropomorphic moth mommy, her hourglass figure perfectly wrapped in the cloth of interwoven blades of grass, more of a living dress than the improvised grass skirt outfits of my little reptiles, with their parodies of the Hawaiian dancer appearance.

Kirke could literally will the new building into existence, I was certain. Maybe not overnight, but eventually, it would be done. Perhaps I should let their power be employed elsewhere than on the Arcane fruits, or grow stimulants for my chiropteran flesh-crafters…

"Kirke…" I asked tentatively, but never got to speak up my idea to her.

With a groan of the wood, and a loud thud, another part of the roof fell down, interrupting my introspection. It was probably for the best that all the local shrines were, by default, a courtyard surrounded by small buildings, rather than the towering gothic cathedral of stone, otherwise there would be tons of stone falling down on our heads right now. Small mercies..

"My Master?" Kirke replied, entirely unfazed. She apparently didn't care, since none of us had been harmed, but me, I forgot the plan for the new enshrinement of viridian green.

"Did anyone hear it? Where are the human guards?" I asked instead, looking around and inspecting the damage.

The host was quiet at the moment, and equally uncaring, only a couple 'Fleshspeaker' circled around looking for a good perch among the wreckage, only the original gate fit to support their weight. The 'Overseer' variant was bigger yet, and there weren't any elevated perches to land on, except for the perimeter walls.

A roach-hound crawled through the rubble, then another, both perhaps controlled by Arke herself, without the need to leave her current lounging space, as the other bats circled above. I would speak to their 'Alpha' about it later. It was enough that Sora was almost never 'home'.

"There is just us, my Master." Kirke said, "There are some of my sisters in the gardens, and my cousins are patrolling the grounds."

"Just us?"

This was the Viceroy's palace, technically a seat of the local government. It couldn't be completely empty, even after the riots and the death of the city mayor.

"There aren't any humans in the palace, Master. Only San Hyun-Ki, and he is too captivated by the scroll. Most of the city must have noticed, though." Miwah continued, her blue eyes fixated on the horizon. I committed a thousand of 'Eviscerators' to policing the city. I realised I almost expected the system notification from the violent crashes, but none came.

"I have around ten of my sisters there." Kuma added, gesturing towards the entrance. There were two of the bear ladies, more probably guarded by the gates.

"...then the Purger and all the Eradicators…"

…and the 'evolved' variants as a security for the relic…

"Noone heading there? I mean, no humans? They must have noticed the commotion?"

I was afraid that by this point, the bloodthirsty system considered a few deaths beyond notice, but Miwah assured me it wasn't at the moment.

"No, Master. They seem to be hesitant to approach the gates." She replied, her focus still elsewhere, communicating with the rest of the host.

I suppose the 'Ravagers' in full armour might discourage the random onlookers.
The humans might not see my bear ladies as approachable, even if I saw them as cute, despite their size.

"My sisters wouldn't let anyone through, Master." Kuma suggested, with a yawn, "We have this place for ourselves."

A lockout it was, then.

I was suddenly very aware that I had left the castle today just with my pants on. My girls didn't mind, but I wasn't putting on much of the image for the others. There might not be a riot, but I would still have to talk to Viceroy about the damages. He was locked there with us, wasn't he?

San Hyun-Ki was the Sage's name, wasn't it? The Viceroy's name was …

"Wait…" I asked, silently cursing my memory: "The Viceroy isn't around either?"

A quick gesture to Kuma and Ekaterina stopped them from poking the dangerously leaning remnants of the structure, ready to tear it down, while I awaited a brief summary, or explanation. I would be helpless without the 'Alphas' doing all the micromanagement.

"No, Master." Miwah continued, "He left this morning to talk with the humans in the city and recruit additional guards…"

Oh, I supposed it was for the best, leaving him to talk with his own people, to reconnect with townsfolk, and do whatever was necessary to run the human part of the province. It was what we agreed on earlier, anyway. Though I wasn't quite certain if I should send him a message that the 'Viridian High Lady' was unsatisfied with the decoration of the shrine, and decided to all but demolish it.

"So, is the city more accepting of us?" I asked, before realising that the vast majority of the people would see only the shifting air in the moving 'Eviscerator's wake, all of them swarming the city street right now, while the other breeds stood guard.

"He needs….different guards. Some of his human-things didn't like the woman volunteers, Master." Narita finished the explanation Miwah started, micromanaging the host of the thousands of invisible anthropomorphic werewolf ladies without letting them run amok was a struggle of its own.

If only I could have more 'Alphas' - I suppose managing the entire breed would take a toll on Miwah and Brave, and it was only the 'Eviscerators' alone. Then it was Tama and Helmy, and all the fiery madness of their breed.

Luckily, there were no explosions, even if Tama - and likely a lot of the little 'Purifiers' - were bored now. The gorgeous silver vixen took her place on my side, wrapping me in her embrace, and soft, fluffy fails, while the little 'Displacer' decided that she required her share of attention too..

Being 'my personal Displacer' was probably a chore, especially now that Sora had to babysit the angry dragon from destroying anything else, especially if my feline had so much propensity for wandering off into the world.

Perhaps I should send Nereida there instead and have her spray the dragoness with water to douse her ire.

The octopus-girl currently levitated head-down, displaying her contempt for gravity, her tentacles wriggling in the air, and made me reconsider. The dragons weren't cats to be sprayed with the water bottles, and Nereida did need to stay in reach of the water source, or moisture, to have powers.

"For Master!" The 'Displacer' protested, likely sensing my thoughts about water and cats, pressing herself closer. The soft-furred and cute feline momentarily distracted me for a while.

"Please, little one, go get my clothes…" I sent her away, and as she disappeared into the shifting rift monetarily.

"We will take this to the garden." I gestured to the others, deciding to leave dealing with demolition - and everything else - to a later date.

With the teleporting feline gone, I gestured towards the rest of the girls around.

"My ladies…"

With Tama hanging to my arm, I left the wrecked shrine compound behind, considering the implications of raising another black tree in the ruins as the shrine, as the one back the fisher's village, and whether it was even feasible with another 'Tree of Arcane' sitting nearby in the garden.

Were they even the same thing?

I suspected all the 'Mutators' creations came inherently enchanted, but I wasn't certain what said enchantment was, specifically.

Or was the black tree simply the symbol, a living statue resembling the 'tree-hydra' which Ari had offered as the one displayed on my flag?

No, someone had linked that down with the 'Lady's' power. I suspected we'd need both a human - a priestess, or shrine maiden - and a 'Mutator' staffing every new site. I wasn't still comfortable with the idea of playing god…

As I looked at the ruins one last time, I made up my mind to postpone the unavoidable demolition in order to avoid the 'Lady' being dissatisfied with the replacement and tearing it down once again. She had quite a temper, and the strength to punch through the stone walls.

Be as it may, we would still need Ari, or other attendants, for it. Or rather, Ari having attendants, maybe?

However, thinking of Ari, who would be forced to actually manage the shrine - and I didn't like the idea of having a priestess of my own - reminded me of something else Narita mentioned.

"Narita, what did you mean by women volunteers?"

Shouldn't it be 'female' volunteers? What 'female' volunteers? I felt confused, and Narita's particular way of speaking wasn't helping right now.

The excited 'Fleshspeaker' who found a perching spot above the archway and a second atop the wall surrounding the garden, however, clearly knew what was happening, judging from their enthusiastic chirping 'For Master!" that followed.

Though, their ideas of fixing humans in order to create better guards were, so to say at the very least, peculiar, and explained nothing.

"What do you mean by that? What improvements?"

"For Master!"

"A volunteer?"

"Yes-yes, Master. Three female human-things you approved, Master."

"Oh…" I said, with a nod. There had been a few humans, five I think, that survived the transition through the portal, and were subsequently 'blessed' by the 'Fleshspeakers' without being turned into the mindless thralls, or even without any visible deformities the often bloated, zombified humans had.

Volunteers. Immune ones.

"Ones with complete immunity, just as Ari had. There is a lot of potential."

I thought aloud. If we found more like these, there wouldn't be any more zombification, mutations, and agony caused by the 'Defilers' healing powers, not to mention the promise that even the Arcane Fruit didn't have the side effect.

There was even one human volunteer who had been a soldier!

"Five brought to have blessing, four survived. 20 percent mortality…" I said, somewhat sad in the tone of my voice, while Narita enthusiastically confirmed with:

"Yes-yes, Master."

Lack of training may have been a problem for the Viceroy, considering the volunteers were recruited from villages and possibly had never handled a weapon before.

"So the Viceroy hated that they were untrained?"

Naturally, three inexperienced recruits couldn't replace the losses suffered by his personal guard, and we eliminated most of the province's army. Then loss of the one-fifth of the remnants to the experiments before would be absolutely unjustifiable.

"His men didn't like women volunteers." Narita explained helpfully, "Stupid human-things. The one you selected broke the arms of one guard."

"What?"

"Improvement in muscle works!" My rat girl explained helpfully, but somehow ignored the implication: "Mia healed the stupid human-thing."

Did they cause the incident with the Viceroy a mere day or two after we struck an agreement?

"Improvement? By who?"

"Rye said she would give them retractable claws," was the answer, followed by the excited chirping and chanting of "For Master! Master!" from the few of my chiropteran monster girls who found a purchase on the walls, and above the entrance.

The gate between the garden and the shrine was sturdy, and undamaged, but this time, instead of the crash of falling building, my mind was filled with the insane ideas only the 'Fleshspeakers' would entertain, where retractable claws and poison glands for humans were one of the sanest on the list.

A suspicion arose in me that the 'Fleshspeakers' and 'Overseers' were competing to produce even more monstrous creations, and Rye, being the youngest of the named, wanted to go beyond the others.

"No… not that…" I waved that away before the list suggestion went overboard, "So the Viceroy was offended again?"

I would worry about 'Overseer' and 'Fleshspeaker' contests later.

"One of his men had disobeyed his orders by attacking the female volunteers, Master," was the reply, this time from Miwah.

All armies had disciplinary issues, as long as Viceroy didn't blame them on us, it would be fine.

"And then?" I asked carefully.

"The Viceroy set off to set up proper recruitment throughout the city, Master. He needed sons of wealthy families as officers, and visit as many larger households as possible"

I didn't realise that gender could be a concern for the natives regarding women serving in the military. Given their evident magical powers, the priestesses, who were mostly women, defied the notion of strict gender-based stratification, so I once again didn't understand what the problem even was.

In the worst-case scenario, they could come back and become Ari's bodyguards, assistants, or apprentices.

"And the volunteers?"

"Still protecting him."

The human volunteers weren't immediately driven away by him, at least. The idea of him making another complaint and me having to apologise didn't excite me, but I needed to keep up appearances. Dealing with the natives proved to be quite frustrating.

"There were some households that …didn't agree with his policies, Master. He said that we could confiscate their properties…."

"Dissidents?" I offered,

"Dissidents, Master."

I sighed. Next time, I won't apologise - he couldn't complain we are scraping the bottom of the barrel here with volunteers with this kind of approach.

The little 'Displacer' returned with a couple of her sisters, and brought my clothes, and the one - and I was quite certain it was the same one as before - was quite enthusiastic in helping me dress up, even if she was considerably shorter.

Tama helped.

"For Master!" the little feline meowed, and I was quite annoyed by Sora's practice of appointing an adjutant. Provided, Sora now had different duties, and more difficult ones at that, but I decided to acknowledge the effort of her smaller kin.

I pointed at the little, excited cat-girl and announced,

"You would be my personal Displacer. I name you … Kasha"

"...and a mother to your progeny?" Tama teased with the sultry tone, gesturing to the cat-girl, but I paid it no mind. It was just to stop the rotation in place, and keep the enthusiastic and affectionate feline close by.

It was stupid term anyway - the 'personal Displacer' - but it was probably what Sora meant with her adjutants, usually her smaller sisters, tasked to attend to me while she made herself busy elsewhere, a habit perpetuated by the named 'Warpstalkers' upon receiving their Arcane Fruit, and thus promotion.

I never asked why it was so, but it, hopefully, ended now, as a collection of nine more cat-girls materialised from the ruby fog, excited to be around, as another obnoxious window invaded my view.

Unit Named! Kasha, the Named Displacer
Skill "Stalker on the Boundary lvl. 11" gained.

For once, I was glad the system didn't acknowledge the role with some form of title, and I waved it off.

There were other things to deal with right now.

"So … the Viceroy… he accepted the volunteers in the end?"

"For Master! Master!" The crowd of anthropomorphic kittens cheered, apparently very willing to be 'personal Displacers' with the energy and the eagerness of their own, but it was beyond the point.

"He asked whether we could train more adepts, Master." Miwah replied, interrupting the newly formed anthropomorphic kittens vying for attention. It was cute, but I had to focus.

"Adepts? What is an Adept?" I queried, confused, then it occurred to me. The natives might be referring to the 'elites' as 'adepts' - one hell of a confusing terminology.

I petted the newly named Kasha and disregarded Tama's comments that followed. It didn't seem that any of my girls minded their cat-girl cousins. Even Narita - an anthropomorphic rat - didn't show any displeasure with a teleporting feline around her.

"We are not sure, Master." Miwah answered, while a lone, 'Fleshspeaker' jumped down from the perch, hopping down close to me, with "For Master!"

The bat monster-girls, with their mind reading, were much better positioned to answer, and I found out the 'Adept' was that those 'ninjas' or 'elites' plaguing us were called by natives. One learns every day.

I never thought of it - and it was dangerous now, as probably every 'Overseer' and 'Fleshspeaker' in the host was eager to test what they could infuse the drones, and any unfortunate human, with. The idea that an 'Adept' could easily run up a vertical wall, and have abilities we couldn't match without overwhelming numbers, was suddenly offensive to the 'Fleshspeaker'.

They wanted to fix it, and now, they have plenty of ideas to share.

The host murmured in the back of my head.

"No. No raids to capture adepts."

It seems it sparked an interest.

"For Master!"

"No. Angela cannot take all the drones to find if the next village had an adept." I said, patiently.

"For Master!" I'm still sometimes confused by the 'Fleshspeaker's' train of thoughts, and even the shared link with the host doesn't help. Now their minds connected the dots and were getting slightly obsessive. Their mental rant, control of our telepathic link, were soon joined by the small herd of cat-girls.

"What?"

"For Master! Master! Master!" The 'Displacer' meowed, joining the exchange within the vast telepathic network, buzzing at the back of my head. They would be back in a moment, and there were plenty of targets to choose from.

"No, ladies. No. We won't provoke the humans…" I ordered. It was against the ultimatum I sent through the survivors of the last battle - we would leave the other human territories alone, if the dragons and their priestesses kept their disgusting 'sealing' magic to themselves. Those messengers didn't even reach the other town by now, I thought.

"For Master?" The both 'Displacers' and 'Fleshspeakers' wondered, while the murmur echoing through my brain settled down quieter.

"Yes. I didn't say anything about the truce, but as long as dragons don't mess with us, we won't mess with them. Besides, there would be another of those barriers to worry about!"

I had other things to worry about than the 'Red' bastard, and the girls answered in the affirmative: "For Master!"

The concept of walking, exploding melons filled with the toxic, man-eating fungus was a terrifying method of bypassing the barrier, but I trusted it would remain only in the 'Fleshspeakers' fantasies. Focus, I thought to myself, and perhaps others as well,

I turned towards Miwah and said: "I wouldn't answer to the Viceroy. Where is he right now?"

"Meeting with the merchants, Master." Lily interrupted, all of the sudden, "We could be selling a lot of fruits to other towns instead."

Selling the addictive substances to the humans was only a marginally better idea than one of the raiding other villagers for the test subjects, and I was in no mood to approve it at the moment.

"Do not…" I said, but never finished the sentence, as something else occurred to me. The berries, even drugged ones, and various fruits my reptilian followers created with their magic, should follow the same logic as the aggressive rejection of other powers.

They were toxic. At least, they should be, but the volunteers, they supposedly agreed in clear mind.

Lily blinked, her dual eyelids made it noticeable, a typical tic among the 'Corruptors' as they tried to comprehend my thoughts. She probably did. I sensed her presence.

"The volunteers aren't addicted, aren't they?" I asked, thinking aloud, "...and the people who have them, and are intoxicated, aren't dying?"

"Master? None of the humans died from human-feed berries."

"We need to find out whether your berries cause immunity, or whether it is another thing, and Fleshspeakers just erase whatever was there." I thought aloud, while the excited bat-girl shrieked "For Master!" in excitement as her mind babbled something about stimulant glands.

The lizard-girl blinked again.

"Oh, yes! We are giving more berries than ever, Master! Humans like their feed!" Lily suddenly spoke up.

"No, no, we will need to find out whether your berries cause immunity to side effects…"

"Yes, my Master!" The answer was so immediate it terrified me they would experiment on the humans to find out. I still remembered Angela's raid to obtain the samples, and her sisters were more than keen to repeat it…

"Find more volunteers first…"

That would be tricky.

I realised there was no way around it - we had to somehow convert more of the population to our side, even if only to find out about the extent of the immunities in a more humane way which didn't involve Lily's berries or mass zombification.

"Kirke? Kirke, get me the Arcane Fruit." I called out.

Finding the proper term for the drug-berry, and for the fruit that served as the royal jelly of sorts, would have to wait. Luckily, the moth-girl knew what I meant.

"Yes, Master!"

She buzzed away. The 'Mutator's' ability to fly was certainly convenient, so I rushed towards the centre of the garden. Down the stairs, outside the boundary of the now ruined shrine, laid a realm of madness where the thousand of the different comprehension defying plants were brought to bloom. In the middle of it laid the pulsating root of corruption, a tree of arcane, with its glowing, spiked fruits, ready to be harvested.

The 'Mutators' were there, at least a few of them that were assigned to watch over the garden, and Kirke had already recovered one of the magically infused produce.

I took it.

I looked at the glowing, spiky produce, once again exploring its unusual, otherworldly texture, and unnatural gleam, resembling a cartoonish interpretation of radioactivity. It's unnatural, eldritch energies did help my girls - and I would have to find out whether enhancing the few human loyalists would also bear the same results.

"Ask Ari to come." I ordered, "We would infuse her with the arcane fruit, and be prepared to heal her if anything goes wrong…"

There wasn't much dispute over this.

We gathered under the boughs of the unnatural tree, and the moment after, Ari was brought through the 'Displacer' rift.

Some 'Displacers' left, except for the newly named 'personal one' - Kasha - but the rest of the 'court' was present.

The crazy human girl we had once found in the ditch at the side of the road has come a long way. She might not look different, other than being clean and fed, in an actual robe instead of rags, but she was certainly something more than she had been, her presence registering closer to the members of our horde than the random human villagers or townsfolk we struggled to understand.

I never thought of her this way.

With her came the sensation of the Serpent, the seemingly unregistrable entity longed within her mind. A subtle, but real presence, proving the girl I called crazy might not be actually insane.

Or perhaps she was. I did not know.

Ari kneeled down in front of me, lowering her head, speaking some words in her native tongue.

I was certain she felt more and more the part of the host, and her speech, though utterly incomprehensible, did spark a meaning in the back of my head. She was ready and had no fear.

The natives, the humans, hated us, but she didn't care, not showing any issues with my girls. It didn't matter if it was vulpine 'Purifiers' or insectoid 'Mutators', or the levitating tentacled form of the 'Tidereavers'.

I wasn't sure if Ari had seen Nereida before, but she remained unfazed. It wasn't probably any different from being dragged through the shifting void by the anthropomorphic kittens.

"I am going to infuse you with the power of this…" I said, "It may be dangerous, you could refuse…"

Ari spoke again. She did not refuse - how I understood that, though; I wasn't certain. The local language was gibberish just the same, but the differences between this human girl, and the host were fading.

I could sense her mind .

This wasn't any different from our smaller kin repeating the phrase, while the telepathy did the work.

I looked at Narita with an unspoken question, but there was no denial.

"Yes-yes. She is ready, Master."

They understood her, too.

It made me less hesitant about what we were going to do - after all, Ari was an exception to all the rules, the 'Defiers' power healed her instantly, the 'Fleshspeaker' manipulation gave her strength maintaining her appearance, and the shifting void beyond didn't bother her either.

If this worked on any human, it would be Ari. A chosen one - even if I didn't buy into the religious aspect of it.

I nodded at the rat-girl, and with the simple gesture, the power was transferred. I should have given Narita the fruit, too, but that would be remedied later. There were far too many distractions right now.

The glow swept over the girl, her body trembled. She looked down, trying to focus, as the floating, pulsating notification acknowledged the transformation, announcing to the world, or perhaps just myself, that the…

The Incarnate is Chosen!
We are rushing towards the end of times!

There was, however, not the time and the place to think about the nebulous message about 'end times'.

The transformation has occurred - the girl still looked the same.

It was a good sign, probably. She was the one who spoke with her fellow humans, after all.
A herald, the system, loving its drama, called her such.

Ari looked up.

Her face remained practically unchanged. It was the same young, tanned girl, with long black hair, same as before, but the eyes…

Her eyes were now golden, snake-like, with the slit pupils like the snake emitting a mild glow.

They weren't a reason for distress, since the 'Corruptors' have the same eyes, even some of my mates had the striking, shining gaze. It was hardly unnatural for the standards of our horde, but the humans, humans, might have a problem with it.

What surprised me was Ari's words. She did not speak in the same language as the locals did; she spoke in ours, young, melodic voice, only slightly accented, yet strangely fluent

"My Lord! My Master! This one is ready to serve! We welcome your blessing with our very being!"

An instantaneous comprehension of language was something different. Only the 'Lady' had that. Even the 'Fleshspeaker' drones struggled with it, controlling their fleshy puppets.

Wait - I paused - she said we. The presence of the Serpent, the immaterial entity nibbling on the memories, was gone. It was usually just weak, hidden, laid in wait, now completely absent.

"Is it you, Ari? Or the Serpent?" I asked,

"This one is Ari." She smiled, then giggled, her mouth showing the fags the humans did not have, "But in the end, all shall be one with you, my Lord."

She giggled. Something she exhibited before.

The human - or now, not so human - still kneeling, touched her belly in a meaningful gesture.

"Your sister is going to join you soon…"

…Sister.
NOPE! ALL OF THE NOPE! Another time but not now!

In other topics the Fleshspeakers continue to prove themselves the most troublesome of the breeds.

The Master is still distractable buuut dealing with the Lady to handle the whole 'cult' thing sounds like a good first step to me…

This makes sense and works for Ari. I should not have been so short sighted as to think all humans would get a dramatic transformation. Perhaps none of them will. Perhaps some of them will. Perhaps this Ari is a snake, waiting to shed her skin and don it again. We shall find out. Thanks for the chapter!

Lady had warned them before the Serpent may try to get reborn through Ari.
…Okay…
If no whammy happpens to her in the process then…Okay.
Honestly while that might not be THAT bad all in all that Serpent's not a great deal compared to becoming a Priestess I think…
But then again it sounded like Ari got really unlucky with her life and then summoned the Serpent…
It worked out for her because the Root came along and I imagine the work the FleshSpeakers…? I forget which breed powered her up but that's pretty good but that's kind of secondary to the Dragon's intolerance of Root powers causing problems for people who can't fight the Root.

It worked out for her because the Root came along and I imagine the work the FleshSpeakers…? I forget which breed powered her up but that's pretty good but that's kind of secondary to the Dragon's intolerance of Root powers causing problems for people who can't fight the Root.
She doesn't have any adverse effect from any of the breed's power: Defliers could heal her easily, and instantly. Fleshspeaker made her stronger. She could be transported freely by the Displacers.

Interlude 24: The Damned
Ari was ready to let go.

Her past, forever lost to the haze of confusion and forgetfulness, no longer mattered.

She once had been a lone girl, abandoned, unworthy, lost and damned, cast away by her people for transgressions she didn't even remember, or understand, who had once grieved the loss of her memories, was terrified of the fog that descended upon her mind.

There was a Serpent in that fog, hidden, laying in wait.

For a time, she struggled, she ran, she took all the suffering, and all the abuse the world was capable of, and didn't utter a single whisper in protest.

It was the way of the world.

What would a simple girl do about it?

It used to feel unchangeable, even as the thoughts slithered away, as the snakes in the grass, as shy, as slippery, as unseen, as they were venomous. She still didn't doubt it.

The customs of her people demanded she obey the will of her father, to respect, honour and exalt her ancestors, she could still remember this, even as the recollection of the events long passed that skittered away from her grasp one by one, as those little, moving things, caught and devoured by the serpent in the dark.

She had clung to the memories for a while, as they all disappeared, and her life went to ruin, as did the world around her.

Her family, her ancestors, and false gods, left her alone, dirty, stumbling through the land, abused by the commoner villagers and bandits alike, tainted and unwanted, her mind shattered.

That Ari was nobody's daughter, she understood now.

Sometimes, she could recall words of her mother, yelling at Ari she wasn't a daughter, she wasn't a member of the family, that she was a monster. The words of her father, and his face, if he ever spoke, had been lost to the fog and serpents within.

Fleeting moments like this were becoming rarer and rarer.

Nobody's daughter didn't need to honour her ancestor, because she had no ancestors to honour. She has been cast away, disowned, forgotten. No one missed the girl left in the dirt.

That girl was gone.

Dead.

Maybe that girl never existed.

Ari, the girl who she had become, embraced the fog that devoured, and the Serpent within, and the monsters beyond. She now answered to a power beyond human ken, it liberated her from her guilt, taint, and blame. The girl was no longer affected by the trivialities of men and was bound only to one master's will.

It was all she thought, in that fleeting moment of clarity, when she understood more than any mortal could imagine, as the serpent that haunted her mind rendered itself to flesh, to Ari's very womb, to be reborn again.

No longer did it matter what the cruel bandits did to the girls like her.

For Ari was remade in flesh, and the Serpent, sated by the memories devoured, grew in flesh, to slither the world again, among her kin, born of the fog, born from her, among the root with thousands of eyes.

Eyes!

The thread of life's warmth pulsated in Ari's sight, and the arcane forces throbbed within her veins, and the language of the Spirits came to her clearly, as if it always had been her own.

She understood so much; she was given so much.

Ari heard the shadows sing, and everything became clearer with their tune.

Thousands of voices, the choir was beautiful, humming the melody of the world's demise.

Her Lord and Master gave her an order.

His orders would be obeyed.

The barrier to raise, and temples were yet to be built, to shield against the treacherous heavens above, to spread the power of her Master, to drown the land in the fog as red as the blood from which a new life shall soon be born.

In the end, all would be one. From a single root.

But this, this was the future. As much as she felt in her bones, in her blood, the present was now.

Ari had a task, a trial of her own.

Her mind was, however, overburdened with the thoughts, the revelations, the ideas, and the memories, all swirling together, as the voices of the Spirits echoed in her head, and in her ears, their grand designs revealed.

The memories of Ari's mother, vague yet disgusting as the carcass of a dead animal, were among it, distracting her.

She danced around the courtyard of the ruined shrine, trying to grasp at the powers which her freshly remolded flesh had given her, to erect the barrier - a wall - a fog, to hide them all.

Ari moved and tried, driven by an instinct that barely settled in. She didn't understand why. Perhaps it was the shadows that led steps, humming the melody resonating through her surroundings, or maybe she wanted to trample down the essence in its place, so the ruby fog may rise.

It wasn't a proper dance - one to please a noble audience with, or the complex ritual to beseech the heavens for favour - for Ari didn't know how to do any of those things, yet in bore significance she could not put into words, despite all the blessings that had been bestowed upon her.

Ari had plenty to learn. One journey ended in the muddy ditch for the girl that was dead in the world, but another began for the herald of the Root, carrying the Serpent. There was so much clarity on her new purpose.

The unseen power trembled within and without, in the laid stones beneath, and in the squared timber, in a way she still couldn't describe, to weave together like the very tapestry of fate, telling her she did right.

It worked.

The memories, like the snakes peeking from the reeds, distracted her, blaming voices coming from the faces she no longer remembered, came back, and with them came a failure.

Monster. Said the woman's voice from the past.

Ari wished the Serpent ate those memories as well before she rendered herself to the flesh of the Herald's womb.

She refused to go back. Alas, the silent companion, no longer present in her mind, could not take the distraction away, and once again, the girl's focus slipped.

Like the threads she did not weave properly, it came apart.

The threads of magic, invisible and intangible, enveloping this place were nothing like the ordinary fabric she was accustomed to weaving. Instead, they resembled the fundamental element of the indescribable essence, quivering like a subtle tremor she could feel in her bones. Something fractured, came undone, and just like a stone tumbling down a mountain.

Almost as if the very surroundings denied the change, denied the claim, and dared to refuse the Master's call.

She sent the debris flying when the invisible force slipped her control, sweeping the surrounding ruins like the summer rain.

The voices continued their song, but their disappointment was palpable from the piece of debris she accidentally sent her master's way. Madame Ekaterina shielded him. It bounced away from her armour, but the act was done.

"Forgive me, my Lord!" she breathed out, falling on her knees, lowering her head in front of her master, her god.

His presence shone like a beacon lit on the thousands of whispers singing in the low, gentle croon. It shined, guided her, and all the Spirits united them in the single purpose.

Ari failed that purpose. Maybe her thoughts of threads ruined her great work - the girl she once was could sew and weave - and her limited imagination, and her limited imagination was her undoing. Or treacherous flashbacks to words long forgotten betrayed her.

The litany of shadows even told her the names of the Greater Spirits, a list of beings to be disenchanted by her failure.

"There is no need. You are learning, Ari." The Master said, "Rise. You don't need to kneel in front of me."

She wouldn't dare. They gave her so much.

Ari was freed from the shackles of the mortals' customs, but even then, she had to show respect for her lord and his greatest spirit that had assembled to witness the act. Their voices, unspoken but still ringing through the girl's head, muttered about her failure, though many offered even greater gifts to help her in the task.

Even the Bat Spirits, one that gave her the first of the blessings, were invited to see this, and she failed.

"Yes, my Lord." she said, "This one apologies. This one doesn't know how to do it properly."

Silently, she blamed the memories slipping away; she decided. The one she swore to leave behind - Ari was nobody's daughter - should not come back.

"What happened?"

"It refused, my Lord. This place refused, and this one was too distracted to focus."

Ari answered. It was the truth. She was distracted, distracted by the reminiscence of the past she ought to leave behind, and she should not have been now. She embraced her new call with her very being. Ari would not forgive herself, even if her master were willing to forgive her for her failure.

Ari was suddenly tempted to ask for permission, to seek the ones that once disowned them, and tear them apart, with her own claws, as the monster she called her. Not for revenge, but to forever remove them from history, completing her rebirth, so, in the future, there should be no distraction.

Nothing would bring her back.

The Bat Spirit offered to give her claws. She could sense them through the shadows that sang. She would accept.

"A shrine is still somehow consecrated? Lady didn't turn it down?"

"She can't, Master." Madame Arke, the Greatest of Bat Spirits, said: "She pestered us about turning her priest to spawn too so she could grant them powers."

"You know how to do it?"

"No. But we have a lot of ideas, Master."

Grant Ari claws, she thought, not intervening with the matters between her master and his Greater Spirits. They were symbols, as well as tools.

Monster.

The woman from Ari's past repeated, and the girl, now reborn, wanted to be a monster, to embrace all the blessings, and finally, complete the first spell. The Spirits had plenty of blessings for those who followed.

"...but Ari could do it. She has powers now…"

Ari stayed silent as the Master discussed this with Spirits, not daring to interrupt. It was not her turn to speak, though she dared to look up, to watch the assembly of the Spirits around.

They did not mind.

She did not fear them either, even the water spirit, floating in the air as if it was the sea, her tentacles waving in the air, wasn't terrifying. The word for the creature, an animal, living in the oceans, came to her through that shining aura. She did not know that word.

The Spirits, though, were all magnificent.

Ari was blessed.

This was where she belonged, she thought, wordlessly arguing with the lurking memories which Serpent left behind.

Memories, a sparse recollection of the events long gone, were few, but unruly, like the little moving things prancing around once the snake praying on them was gone, and Ari didn't need them anymore.

She was where she was supposed to be.

This was where she was supposed to go all this time.

The remembrance of the times gone now bothered her, haunted her, but she didn't want to return to that time or place. .

She was home.

Perhaps not among the Greater Spirits. She felt privileged to be among them, still unworthy of their company. They were the Master's closest, and His finest, beautiful, powerful and elegant.

They never shunned her, but perhaps it was among their smaller kin where she belonged, as they welcomed her without protest, without discord, without hostility. Many stayed in the village where she was sent, or even accompanied her, some hidden, others visible, protected her.

She wished she could do as much as they did.

Madame Kirke, the Moth Spirit, came closer, offered one hand, and Ari reached back. It was the Greater Moth Spirit, who rose from the shrine that bound even the old dragon to the service of the true god.

The power, unseen, yet rippling through flesh, answered, but Ari was not worthy yet. There was a link, connection, even if faint, to the enchanted tree outside, the very one that has been expected from her as well, for she was the herald for the beings from the beyond.

If only she had a way to seep this into the stone as the Moth Spirit could command the plants, other than that she tried that already, to redefine the boundary of the shrine, and all the sway it contained within, some persisting even as the structure was brought to ruin.

She couldn't do anything.

"Arke, please try to boost her power. We were able to overpower it before."

"Yes, Master."

Her Lord ordered, and Madame Kirke stepped away, and now, the winged form of Madame Arke loomed over her.

Ari had no fear. She even marvelled at the Spirit's living outfit, bound of flesh, bone, and skin, a living dress.

Through the Bat Spirits, the flesh was reshaped, reborn, freed from all restrictions, bound to the will of the only entity that mattered: Her Master.

If only she could bind this place down as the Bat and Moth Spirits reigned over the life itself.

She couldn't, yet she would try.

But then, the memory, the treacherous, unwanted one that Ari sought to cast away, protested. Monster.

Ari wanted to become the monster the memory had cast her as, to spite it, or to agree with it, only to make it go away.

After all, she was where she belonged, among monsters.

As the incomprehensible forces flowing freely from the claws of the Greater Spirit ripped through Ari's muscles and blood, she embraced it with her very being once again.

She was not afraid. Greatness awaited. The Bat Spirits had plenty of gits.

"Grant this one claws." She uttered, as her hands and fingers tingle only slightly. There was no pain. Those unworthy and treacherous had experienced the greatest agony, Ari knew, but it did not happen to her, a further proof that her journey has been the most righteous one.

It was but a moment. Short, fleeting, but ‌also unforgettable, and eternal.

When it ended, there was the same tickling, throbbing sensation in her veins, filling her heart with excitement. Her body was the clay to be reshaped, and she wanted to be remoulded to be a more fitting form.

She looked at her hands.

The fingers were tipped with the sharp, black claws, like one Madame Mai had, and her skin, though still tan, as it has been before, gained a smooth, scaly texture. Small-minded people, a spectre of the past abandoned, would dread them, but Ari felt pleased with the change.

It brought her closer with the surrounding spirits. It was common among them, an ordinary trait among the new people, not the reflection of the bygone days which abandoned her, only to be abandoned themselves.

"They are beautiful." She said, to spite that reminiscence that once caused her to fail, to infuse the place with the essence of her Master granted to her.

It throbbed in her veins, stronger than ever before, but would it be enough?

This place, this shrine, was already in ruins, yet there was the trace of power within that refused her before, lingering, while outside, the hallowed trees changed by Madame Kirke's magic thrived, yet it did not transcend the boundary of the temple.

If only Ari would seep the essence of her master into the very ground, into the cold cobles she knelt upon.

Ari just didn't know how. It was not the trade her past self had learned, nevertheless; she had an idea. An inspiration.

If the power she needed was flowing within her, contained within her very being, under the skin, she would have to let it out, she realised. Then, without hesitation, she opened her wrist with the newly grown claws.

The blood gushed out, but Ari was not bothered by it.

In it, there was the power she wanted to channel, to seep into this place.

Quickly, decisively, she wrote in the stony courtyard the name of its true master to rule over it. Something deep within her guided her hand as the sanguine fluid pulsated with the unparalleled potency it did not have before, for she was chosen. A herald.

They were the foreign words.

Ari could write in her native language, even if barely, it was one of the skills she had been taught in the past, supposedly by her parents, likely so the girl would not embarrass them with her ignorance rather than the desire to enlighten. She remembered neither her lessons, nor the faces or true motives of her teachers, that had been long lost to the serpent, and Ari was comfortable to leave it this way.

She embraced her new form, her new role, as she wrote the world in the no longer alien language of the spirits instead of the one of her ancestors, praying for this place to be reborn through her otherworldly patrons, just as Ari has been

The tongue of her ancestor, ones who cast her out, was not welcomed there, and neither were their designs.

The cold, dry stone drank the blood.

Ari could feel it, seeping into the ground, into the boundary of the shrine, sizzling, bubbling, choking the desecration still holding domain here, amongst the rubble.

Suddenly, as the gusts of wind, the mist enveloped the destroyed shrine, but then, it dissipated again in the blink of an eye.

The unseen border disappeared, but the barrier, the concept of which nestled itself in Ari's mind, failed to appear, even as the choir of shadows sang the litany of her failure even further.

Ari banished the desecration of the old gods, but in the end, failed to create what she was tasked to do.

She felt ashamed.

"This one failed again, my lord."

Even as the wound she had used to draw the blood to her ritual closed itself, the girl was ready to make the sacrifice anew, until the barrier she was tasked to raise would manifest itself.

"You almost did it."

"This one is so sorry." She blurted out, even as the healing magic of the Rat Spirits erased the cut she had caused.

"No, Ari." Her Master decided, stopping her act, waving his hand in dismissal: "You did not fail. This was just a test…"

Test she had failed, she thought, her disappointment palpable.

"Yes, my Lord."

She replied, not questioning the decision, yearning to undo the mistake, to make certain that she would - given another chance - do better.

"If you can negate the magic of the dragon priestesses, even if occasionally, it is enough." The Master continued, "Besides, it's the Serpent you are carrying in you, aren't you? You would need that blood."

The realisation swept over. In the eagerness of fulfilling His one plan, she jeopardised the other.

"Forgive this one, my lord!"

She once again lowered her head down in obeisance.

"There is no problem. Narita would have healed you either way," he continued. "I would have to ask you for the other task, Ari."

She was wasting the blessing given! It would not happen again.

"This one is ready, my lord."

"You are the one to speak to the natives. You now understand both of our languages…"

She did, she reminded herself, and it was her duty, her mission, and her penance, and her privilege to spread the word, one she was selected for.

"...gather the followers, the volunteers, who would join us."

Then, a little thing came to her - the meaning of the word - a 'native' or a 'human' - people of this land. Others differed from her. It made her giggle. Among the blank, dark spaces of her memories, she could still recall the town she was born in, even the castle within, but it meant very little.

It did not apply to her. Not anymore. If it ever did, she was where she belonged now.

"This one would bring them to you, my lord."

"The Defilers…"

The Rat Spirits, she thought, it was strange to call them this way. Ari has been touched by the power of Madame Narita, and she did not feel defiled, as it has been that long time ago, in the life past, and forgotten, but invigorated and gifted instead.

"...they could heal people like you without causing any pain. That would be the test."

That she understood. The Spirits held more power than inflicting the pain and suffering upon the unworthy, but she has been spared of it, never doubting the will of her Master. She pledged her soul, and her ethereal service, to him, and never looked back.

It was the way.

"Also, look for people who don't feel intoxicated after Lily's berries. My girls would help you, Ari."

"Yes, my Lord."

"Yes. Master."

"I want to find more people like you."

"This one understands, my lord. They would bow to you, accept your blessing, and be saved."

"Start with the fishing village, then proceed with the mining town. I do not know the names of those places."

Ari did not know them either. She never asked, and now, she might not have to.

"Yes, my lord, this one shall not disappoint."

"Thank you, Ari."

"My Lord, this one is ever grateful. This one would spread your word."

Ari raised her hand, looked upon her Master, then bowed down, deeply and in respect, once more before she dared to finally stand up.

The girl, once lost, and cast out, forgotten, left in the ditch - that one was dead.

She looked down at her hand, her fingers now tipped with the claws, and felt free, liberated from the shackles of a past she barely remembered, and understood this was how it was always meant to be.

Monster.

The woman's voice from her memories was still haunting her, but she would eventually turn to silence as well.

Ari knew what she had to do.

As the Cat Spirit arrived, splitting a tear in the very fabric of existence, carrying her through the endless shitting void to the land by the sea, she found solace in the choir of voices, ever present, singing in harmony, and unity, without the discord, without jealousy.

In the end, all shall be one, and there would be no more lost girls stumbling in the wilderness.

Ari felt reinvigorated. There was a task ahead of her, and she looked forward to it, to liberate others from the ties that bound them, to bring them into the fold where no one was ever abandoned.

She did consider pleading with the Cat Spirit to take her to the old place, the one the old Ari came from, but she dismissed the idea - she would not stray away from her task or her Master.

When she arrived in the shrine of the root, on the coast, she found the tree, raised as the monument to her new god, whole again. The cavity from which the new form of the Viridian High Lady emerged from was sealed once more, pulsating with new, renewed vigour, and remnants of the past sacrifice were all but consumed.

Even the false gods could be reborn in the service of her master, and so shall to the mortals like her. The new people, unbound by the words of 'native' or 'human', better ones who embraced the shadows that sang, and the harmony, the unity they brought.

It all would begin by the single step.

Ari left the tree - the new shrine - behind and walked away to find Min Shin.

The villagers must have carried him away.

There was no reason for him to deny the call now the High Lady had returned and joined.

She had a lot to offer to him. Now he was blinded by the enraged dragoness, only the Bat Spirits could give him fresh eyes.

The shouts from the village distracted her thoughts as she walked.

She looked around.

First, she blamed herself for the commotion, a small mind unable to handle the blessing bestowed upon her, but it was not the case.

They run around, some wanting to leave, the others pleading to the few Spirits present, and finally, to her, pointing towards the sea.

"Priestess! Priestess! Look!"

She rushed forward, between the huts, towards the decaying wharf, and looked to the horizon, the clear skies and the wide blue sea, as clear as it was when she left. There wasn't a storm coming, and thus, no reason to panic.

Ari looked closer.

There was something which changed, and it was not the weather.

There were sails on the horizon.

New souls were coming to learn about her Lord and Master.

My apologies for the delay. My proofreader is currently struggling with the demanding job, and original schedules become very difficult. The general intent was to update weekly, as always, but scheduling the release for the specific day no longer works. I'll keep you posted, and I hope you would still remain interested in the story. Thank you for understanding.

Hrrm…
The Serpent's birth will be a change. As will Ari not being able to empty her head of unpleasant memories…
I wonder if she accidentally called the Serpent in? Not even intentionally, but accidentally, setting her memories to ruin in an attempt to escape the pain to come?
*sighes* Dragons, you fools…

Read one chapter and dropped. Too much, too fast, too easy. MC has no agency. His power/summons do everything autonomously with literally zero input from him. No sense of purpose or goal or scale or effort. Some stories fail to hook a reader early on, but this casual skate through peril amid endless free power ups actively disengaged me.

Interlude 25: The Pirate New
Takeshi was a free man.

Many looked down on him - the man without a Lord to swear allegiance to, without the Clan banner to carry, without the creed, and, as many said, without honour - the merchant, with the ship, was a little better than the pirate.

They looked down at him, but they needed him just the same. The man with the ship was valuable, useful, profitable.

The rival clans, forever locked in their endless squabbles, were hungry for the goods he could trade, or steal, for the spoils he could bring from over the seas, to fuel their endless petty schemes, and rarely asked questions.

It worked for men like Takeshi.

Unfortunately, neither Takeshi nor his compatriots were ready for the situation when one of those clans gathered any meaningful authority over others, but it eventually happened.

Clan Tokomura won, established their dominance, and quickly turned against those who fuelled their machinations for all those years, quickly prohibiting the people like Takeshi from ever raiding the foreign shores, or to trade with them, ruining the livelihood of far too many in one broad swoop.

The man with the ship was no longer useful, a free man with the ship was a nuisance at best, and a threat at worst.

At least, that was the case for a couple of years, as very few dared to challenge Clan Tokomura's dominance, and the edicts they had proclaimed, and they had sworn, and the treaties they had signed, all in exchange for the precious trade privileges with the kingdom across the narrow sea, and supposed new era of unified Gakaiyō.

How they would do so, with the few remaining precious merchant fleets, driven to poverty or piracy, they did not say.

It did not last forever. Nothing does - not the trade agreements, not unified Gakaiyō, and certainly not Tokomura. The ambitious Lords and even their kingdoms do not last forever. Only the gods hold that title.

Ambitious clans proved their people were not the unifiers they imagined themselves to be.

Eventually, one of Tokumura's vassals betrayed the ruling clan, rising against them, and quickly, the others joined, proving how fragile their reign had been, but even then, very few dared to resume the raids, as the war between the rival clans created far too many opportunities for those daring. Those, too, went dry. The clans would promise the plunder to the mercenaries, but until someone gained the upper hand, and crushed their rival, there was very little to loot.
The men like Takeshi were, once again, needed, and so was their ship.

Very few to no attempts were made to cross the sea, and those who did, they sailed farther away, attempted to trade with the Jin, or, in case of some, steal from them. The Jin were not fond of maritime traders and pirates alike, so very little could be gained there. It was ironic that a lot of the merchants came from the Jin themselves, though it mattered a little. Takeshi was born on the coast of Gakaiyō, yet they looked at him the same as they did at the foreigners.

Some went to trade with the Hanulbeol.

Some succeeded, but most, most were turned away, or had their cargo, and even ships, seized. The Hanulbeol believed in the arrangements they made back in the day, and they were not making concessions - the pirates who turned into merchants, with the precious exceptions, with safe conduct, enjoying briefly the privileges, were called pirates once more.

Takeshi had a ship and a crew that followed him, but very few options

Impoverished peasants didn't have much to trade and didn't have much worth stealing, at least on Gakaiyō, and the prospects overseas were equally thin, with far too many risks, and the journeys they made barely kept them alive. The ship itself was considerable property, but was not paying for itself, and there were many more people in similar positions as he was.

This was a difficult time.

Then the sufficiently brave, sufficiently unscrupulous, and sometimes sufficiently privileged, merchants brought the news that Takeshi couldn't just disregard.

Over the sea, Hanulbeol was collapsing under the Jin onslaught, and its western coast had remained practically undefended, with many riches ripe for the taking, at least until the Jin armies finally got around to claiming all of them, the coastal town too desperate, disorganised, in chaos, as many men had left to fight in the losing war.

It was an opportunity unequalled in recent memory.

Takeshi had to act, and so he did - no more would his greatest property, his ship, be wasted, and no more he would risk being handled as a pirate when they followed the will of the long dead lord, to maintain the treaty the now squabbling Clans weren't able, or willing, to follow.

The time of raiding was back, and it would be glorious.

They left Gakaiyō in haste, to be the first, the most daring, and hopefully, the most rich.

He talked to whoever was willing.

Sixteen ships in all, gathered in a hurry, manned by whoever was skilled, daring, greedy or even desperate enough to go.

The mercenaries that fought under the banners of Yawara Clan came shoulder to shoulder with those who found for their Nedzu enemies, complemented not only by would-be merchants and would-be-pirates but also simple, ordinary fishermen, armed and desperate enough to go.

There was even this one weird monk that was selling good luck charms to sailors who joined the crew.

There were far too many people who yearned for riches, for revenge, for adventure, for change, and all of those dreams would come true through Hanulbeol's misery.

It wouldn't be surprising if the richer clans would send their own ships to satisfy their own ambition. May they delay while his party reaped the early rewards!

Hanulbeol was a wounded, dying animal, and the wolves were coming. Scavengers would come later.

Maybe, in time, there would be even a war, and Takeshi's raid wouldn't be a piracy anymore - it would be bravery in face of the enemy.

After six gruelling days at sea, dry land was finally in sight, and Takeshi was ready to admit that he made mistakes.

Sixteen ships were a lot, an achievement of their own, assembled without the help or approval of the major clan, could carry the crew, the mercenaries, and cargo, but the warships they were not. Barely seaworthy was a more apt description.

Overcome by greed, they rushed to gather a notable fighting force, capable of taking on smaller garrisons the larger towns inherently had, and entirely underestimated the adequate supplies for the trek over the narrow strip of sea that separated them from Hanulbeol.

It was just a short voyage. He and his crew were experienced, spent their lives at sea. They couldn't possibly make a mistake about how much water and how much food they would need.

A mistake.

He and his crew would make the journey with ease, usually. It was just six days, currently in pleasant weather and with favourable winds, and it might have been the easiest voyage he might have sailed. At least, normally. Now this was turning out to be a disaster.

Sixteen ships, filled with mercenaries, brought by promises, were much harder to handle than the single one - the plan to target the larger towns meant more hands to hold the swords, and the more warriors meant more mouths to feed.

Maybe they were overly overambitious.

The men were hungry and thirsty.

They lost two ships already - not to the sea, as there wasn't a single storm cloud in sight - those decided it was not worth the risk, and turned back. Others stayed on course.

Takeshi was certain he would be blamed for this.

He convinced everyone. It wasn't easy.

They would argue about it later. He was certain that many would forget eventually: even the noble lords sometimes forgot about honour when there was something substantial to gain.

Sixteen ships of misfits brought by promises would soon argue over plunder, quickly, to forget how horrible the journey was.

It didn't matter, though; the land was in sight, and they came in on the high tide. There was no other ship in sight, neither some trader's junk, nor the military one, and he was certain the news of their raid wouldn't spread too fast. The war with the Jin made travel difficult.

Takeshi's fleet could easily take some tiny villages, resupply with food, then follow the coast, north or south, to larger ports, which were believed to be undefended.

He would need a better plan once they reassess where they were, but now was the time to prepare for landing.

The shallow coasts wouldn't be much of a problem. As long as the treacherous waves didn't carry them against the cliffs, they could find a spot to drop anchor. Any local wharves were likely too shallow for anything beyond the fishing barges, though Takeshi was confident in his light sailing ship, fit for large rivers as well as the sea, to make a landing in the suitable spots.

The commotion on the deck brought the captain back from his planning, as the strange monk they brought onboard for this raid turned suddenly hysteric, screaming, struggling with one of the sailors, and being a general nuisance to Takeshi's men.

Takeshi rushed forward and swore he would throw the idiot overboard.

"No!" the monk screamed, pointing somewhere to the horizon, gesturing wildly towards something that only he could see. "We must turn back!"

The act was so convincing that for a brief moment, Takeshi hesitated, and ran towards the ship's prow, worried that they were, indeed, heading towards the cliff, but this soon proved to be false.

There was nothing, no cliff, no need to adjust the course, with the land still relatively far away.

He thought there was a settlement there, though the coloured patched at the horizon suggested it looked much more like the terraced fields more than anything else, though the strange off-putting shades of green puzzled him.

What crops had they grown there?

Maybe it was abandoned, and then nature's overgrowth took over?

It didn't matter. They could furl sails and let the tide carry them towards the coast. They might rely on oars rather than sails, but it was doable.

"We can't land there!" The monk screamed, but from what Takeshi saw with his own eyes, it wasn't simply true. In the worst-case scenario, they would find the abandoned cove to land, and forage, and find water, before they carry on with the looking for settlements for raid.

"I sense … the great evil! A coming storm…"

There were no clouds on the horizon, either.

"Like thousands of voices, screaming of hate in unison! We are going to die!"

The monk screamed, and the captain wasn't certain why he let that man aboard.

Maybe it was the good luck charms he had sold.

Such things, perhaps not the charms themselves but the faith they inspired, were necessary when men like Takeshi tried to buy services with words and promises, and maybe they indeed brought them good fortune.

After all, it was a smooth sailing, all the way there, as much as Takeshi underestimated the provisions. Sixteen ships were sixteen ships. Reduced to fourteen since they left Gakaiyō because their crews didn't believe they would make it, proving faith was a currency of their own.

The luck-charm peddler - maybe not even the real monk - was overstaying his welcome. At least it wasn't an assassin in disguise, since those were not only cunning, but considerably more collected, not to mention dangerous.

This monk was not any of those things. He was insane, Takeshi decided. Mad, stupid, and most likely, a pretender, but still, in his obnoxiousness, he made the crew nervous.

"Turn back! No! We can't land there! There is great evil ahead!"

Screaming monk - real, or not - was getting on Takeshi's nerves, even if no one else paid him any mind at the moment. They would have to roll the sails soon, closer to the coast, and manoeuvre around the cliffs to find the safe spots to land.

"Shut up, you fool!"

Takeshi rushed to wrestle the rope from the hand of the monk, now desperately trying to hang the tack line of the mainsail, which was equally stupid as it was dangerous

There was no time for this.

"We can't land there! We must turn back! We are all going to die."

The fool let the rope go and tried to grab Takeshi.

Enough!

With a few well-aimed punches, he knocked the monk down on the deck, and was seriously tempted to drag and throw the nuisance overboard, to the waves beating against the hull as the coast became closer, larger.

Takeshi turned towards the coast. It was about time.

"Prepare …"

He was about to shout an order, but his words were interrupted with the sudden, a more panicked scream came, this time from the stern, not from the troublemaker he just knocked down. Another distraction, another problem.

With the groaning of the wood, the rudder moved, the ship leaned on the starboard a little as it suddenly changed direction against the protesting waves, only the relative calmness of the sea prevented the ship from simply rolling. They were shouting, a sudden splash of water, as something, or someone, fell overboard.

Takeshi cursed.

"Hold that steady…"

He yelled, quickly turned around, his hand raised, pointing, then froze.

The helm was unmanned, flying wildly, the men who were supposed to man it - normally four - writhed on the ground, in pain, almost as struck by the unexplainable sickness, a fever, not having the strength to steer the ship. They scratched their eyes, moaning, as the ship skipped another wave, shaking the board.

Those who would step in, hesitated, made a step back,

There was a woman who shouldn't be there.

It - she - made Takeshi pause.

The woman in a colourful dress, looking down at the man crawling away from her, like she was some vengeful ghost that came to haunt them in the broad daylight, and even against better judgement, even against the ship swinging on the tide and the shouts from the other ships carried by the wind. No one dared to move.

Takeshi knew he should move, but suddenly, he couldn't.

His mind, suddenly dazzled, couldn't comprehend how she could get aboard, refused to handle the situation he should have. His thoughts caught in this tangent.

Not all sailors were men, it was true: When the fisherman died; it was his wife who inherited the boat. So women knowing how to handle the ship weren't impossible to find. There certainly were few on other ships, but yet …

The one he saw wasn't any fisher's wife.

She somehow doesn't even seem real, not as real as Takeshi, or his men, were real, but like something which couldn't, or shouldn't, exist, forcing the normally sharp mind to wonder whether he, himself, wasn't going mad from the stifling late summer heat, seeing things.

The men, once fully dedicated for their tasks, were too in shock. Many just watched, a few even reached for those accursed luck charms, even if what they were supposed to be doing was steading the ship.

The wood of the ship groaned, and waves crashed around.

Somewhere in the distance, the other ships tried to change course, to prevent the collision, perhaps sensing something was amiss, even if they didn't see what those here were seeing.

Takeshi experienced a paralysing feeling as he stood frozen in place, despite his years of experience, and did nothing.

She had a slender, small body and wore a vibrant robe in the Hanulbeol style, which was usually worn by wealthy men's wives to display their riches. However, her presence seemed out of place and emitted an unsettling feeling of discomfort, of pure wrongness.

Several men were on the lookout for weapons. Others simply gazed, mimicking their captain, who finally reached for his sword.

How did she even get aboard?

"This one wants to talk with you about god," the woman in the dress said, in the language of Hanulbeol, her voice young, innocent, deceiving, and yet still audible amongst all the commotion.

Takeshi understood the language - it was useful to know in his voyages, for many reasons, though his men likely did not - it was he who did the talking, but now, now he could not act, unable to speak, almost as the very blood in his veins mutinied against him.

The annoying monk, even with his nose broken, blood dripping from his face, moaned, yet still managed to yap something about the demons lurking ahead, threw his useless trinkets around. One charm hit the strange female figure.

She shook, almost like something unpleasant splashed her immaculate robes, and the captain's mind was suddenly back in focus, no longer mesmerised by the sight.

The monk gave up on collecting his lucky pieces and grabbed Takeshi's leg instead.

"We must turn the ship! They will come!"

Takeshi kicked the idiot as the rage took over.

"My god offers you to submit to him peacefully. He has many gifts for those who follow…" the spectre announced,

At the same time, one of his sailors, previously holding to the railings, got up and assaulted the intruder with his knife.

The blade sank into the woman's arm, but it did not distract her as much as it should.

She grabbed the man by the neck, her fingers tipped with the claws which didn't belong to the hands of mortals, and ripped his throat out with terrifying ease, blood splashing against the ship's boards.

The woman - or rather the monster in woman's skin - threw the body off board with inhuman strength, and giggled, amused.

Takeshi had seen death, men slain in battle, killed a few himself, but he never saw something like her - something like this. The woman - the ghost - wasn't satisfied with the answers she got, and turned to him.

"Unfortunate, but my god insisted you should join on your own. Otherwise…"

She-monster said, uncaring, her colourful dress stained in gore, unbothered by the dagger still stuck in her arm, and the bleeding wound, then looked at him with unnatural, otherworldly eyes - they were yellow, with slit pupils, like the ones of a snake.

It was wrong, as wrong as things that shouldn't be. He took a step back, but then quickly gathered his courage, not allowing himself to be intimidated - it was but a single spectre, what could she do against their collective might?

"Kill the demon!"

Takeshi drew his katana and charged.

His blade, poised to strike, however, doesn't reach her.

The air behind the demonic woman shivered, then ripped itself apart, forming into an indescribable, unspeakable vortex of wrongness too painful to look at, more dizzying than the swinging of the ship in a storm, more vertiginous than the fall from the tallest cliff.

He couldn't look. It hurt to do so, and his legs betrayed him.

Takeshi stumbled, lost his grip on his katana, and darkness consumed him momentarily.

His collision with the deck's hard wood brought him back to the present, lit by the sudden fire, chaos, and screams echoed all around

The impeccably blue, cloudless skies shimmered with the same shifting cracks within the fabric of the world, and through them, more monsters came, large, winged ones sweeping down from the heavens like a swarm of enormous locusts, filling the air with shrieks that shattered their minds.

Takeshi could see it, the men falling in front of him, on the deck, or overboard, frozen, unable to move, lifeless, struck down, thought to be dead, killed by those dreadful wails.

But they were not dead.

Takeshi could see the body of one of his sailors sliding across the deck to the waters below, caught on the railing, lifeless, yet the eyes, still alive, staring in terror, unable to move, knowing he was going to drown, helpless, unable to lift even a finger.

Takeshi turned, tried to reach the man, the expression of this face covered burned into the memory

It was futile, as from the depths, a tentacled monster crept, claiming the paralyzed man, drawing him down.

A few men, still capable of moving, tried to attack, finally getting to the weapons they had aboard.

A spear pierced the tentacle thing, but more came, even as Takeshi still struggled to get back on his feet after staring into the shifting impossibility of the rift for far too long.

He wanted to fight back.

It would not end like this. They were so close.

The ship shook, its wood croaked, almost as if caught in the mighty storm as the wave rose suddenly, like the water itself came alive, sweeping bodies from the decks, the wind and the wave no longer held any rein over the boats.

The fleet was in disarray, one ship burned, swept under the torrent of fire that came from nowhere, the other one collided with the second in the loud crash, the bodies and the splinters of wood showering the surrounding.

A flying, winged thing collided with the ropes above, crashing into the waves, but more came

The ship rocked violently, as if being swept in the massive wave of the storm under the erringly clear, cloudless sky. The shrieks of the flying demons were the only thing he could hear, drowning even the roar of the surrounding sea..

Then he saw the other ship barreling towards them.

With all his strength, Takeshi jumped down,, as the two more ships smashed into each other.

The land was close.

There were monsters in the water.

The survivors were yanked up from the water with unseen force, one by one, as Takeshi tried to swim away.

He didn't look back as the waves carried him away.

Some of the flying creatures that attacked his ships were swooping in, picking survivors from the water.

When he reached the rocky beach, he was completely exhausted.

Takeshi stumbled out of the water and collapsed.

He made it.

It was, however, not the land he remembered from the previous visit, but an otherworldly, alien nightmare, with strange plants bearing even stranger shades of green

The large insect, a massive specimen, even as large as a hunting hound, skittered from the overgrown lands towards the stranded man, inspecting him with its multitude of eyes, the antenna twitching in agitation.

Takeshi threw a stone at it, hit, but it only angered the monster further, encouraging it to bring more of its ugly kind from the shade of the otherworldly plants to swarm him.

Before they struck, however, the air once again shook, shivered, and the very fabric of the world tore apart in yet another comprehension defying rift. Just looking hurt him once more.

The strange woman with the snake eyes was back.

Though her robe was still stained by blood from the seemingly inconsequential stab wound, she didn't seem any worse for wear, and this time, she wasn't alone.

There were more creatures with her, and neither of them looked like the ordinary mortals.
Two of them, a black furred, wolf-like demon, dressed in lamellar armour suits, though lacking the helmets, approached him, while the equally dark coloured cat-like being stayed a few steps behind, and he wondered - perhaps the monk was right all along.

There was a great evil ahead.

The woman - only human looking, if one ignored the eyes of the snake and claws used to tear the man apart - came and kneeled next to him, smiling, revealing her sharp, pointed teeth. Takeshi didn't feel defiant this time.

Perhaps he did want to hear about god.

Hrm.
Another Hero Unit, another human, perhaps, to stand against the screaming tide of the Root, who might offer memories and emotions to rebuild a humanity all but lost…
Or simply another pawn to corrupt. We will see.
Also Hi Ari, you've maybe got some new tricks?

The next chapter posting would very likely be postponed.

No specific date and time at the moment.

The area I live in has been hit by the Storm Boris and currently suffers from the massive torrent rains and flooding. I spent most of my day pumping water, and I am lucky I still have the electricity. No time for creative pursuits.

My apologies for the delay.

In the meantime, The Discord Channel is there for the people who might want to chat with the few devoted fans this story has.

Back