The Laurent's Grad School Experience

Pronouns
They/Them
This will be a relatively simple affair, and I can't tell you whether it will see as much action as I think it might, but I have entered Grad School at UMKC, for History, and so I might from time to time post completed assignments here, bitch about this or that bit of history, or otherwise discuss matters that I have found interesting.

For this, my first semester, I am taking three courses.

Civil War and Reconstruction
The Darwinian Revolution: 1600-1900
Colloquium On Early American History

More to come in later posts, hopefully.

Social and Broken Courage: Embattled Courage by Gerald Linderman
Social and Broken Courage: Embattled Courage by Gerald Linderman

Sometimes courage is knowing your limitations, failings, and flaws, yet striving within them. This is not a definition of courage that the American soldiers of 1861 would have respected, but it's as true as theirs.

Embattled Courage has two sections: in the first he details the traditional American ideas of war and valor at the start of the Civil War. This worldview defined courage as fearlessness in battle: all other virtues flowed from it. Only the brave had honor, or the decency not to hurt civilians, and this courage was highly gendered. The brave triumphed, dying not at all or with a smile on their faces, while cowards died in pain, as they deserved.

In the second part, ideal meets reality. War is disease, desperation, brutality and misery: men grew hard or died. In the epilogue the fascinating process is recounted by which soldiers and society erased the reality decades later through selective memory and active propaganda in order to recreate heroic illusions that'd lure in a new generation of soldiers.

From the start, Linderman acknowledges limitations: he doesn't address drafted men, his sources--written accounts and letters of the men--privilege the literate and fortunate, and he specifically excludes African-American experiences. This is a shame, because he has written a socio-culture history, of what happens when an untenable cultural ideal meets brutal reality: it shatters, then reforms, a process that deserves its own book.

These limitations leave questions unanswered, and analytic gaps. The book implicitly makes it clear that this culture and conception of courage was largely white, largely Anglo-Saxon, and largely Protestant, but why did this create this particular Courage Culture? This culture had troubling limits. The bravery of African-American soldiers in battle won over such as General George Thomas, but are these reactions of a Courage Culture, or were they shared by the men? Certainly not by the Confederates, who sometimes massacred and brutalized black soldiers, raising questions about the unity of soldiers on both sides.

Slaves are absent in descriptions of how soldiers interacted with civilians in escalating brutality. How did Union soldiers interact with the slaves they met and sometimes freed? How does his narrative of ad-hoc, sometimes bottom-up brutalization fit with Lee's orders to capture and enslave blacks during his second invasion?

There's much room for research into the nature of this culture, the creation of the soldiers' subcultures, and the overall shift from hard truth to--decades later--courageous lies of glorious battle. Such research, or a more openly sociological approach, could have enhanced the book.

Despite this, Linderman's book is riveting, redeemed by its attention to details and insightful teasing out of primary sources to give a human and humane look into the lives of certain groups of soldiers, the culture they came from, and both the war they expected and the war they fought. This book is highly recommended for general readers, and even academic readers--if they are mindful--can find much of value in his account.

A/N: The assignment said close to 500 words. It's meant to be a brief and concise review of a book in a manner very common in historical journals, and that means there's not a lot of time to summarize every point. It's a new genre for me.

This is not a final draft, and has not yet been turned in, but I think it's pretty solid, and I'm not sure how much more I could say considering the word limitations involved therein.

Amazon Link to Book Reviewed: https://www.amazon.com/Embattled-Courage-Experience-Combat-American/dp/0029197619

Last edited:
Okay, btw, and both will be getting a review as required by circumstances, but the two books I have been reading next have been:

This Republic of Suffering, and Facing East From Indian Country. I can heartily reccomend both books for general readers and for those with some expertise on their topics, Death In The Civil War, and Colonial American History respectively.

Imagining East: Facing East From Indian Country by Daniel Richter
Imagining East: Facing East From Indian Country by Daniel Richter

In Daniel Richter's groundbreaking monograph, sometimes all it takes is flipping the script and doing so consistently in order to see things very differently indeed. His book, which as the title hints at, "Faces East" and tries to see things, if not through the eyes, then over the shoulder of the Native Americans. It manages to do so convincingly in the span of its six chapters, which by necessity cover a long period of time.

His book can't exhaustively recount the nearly four centuries that it covers, and so Richter uses examples and categories (e.g. three Native-Americans lives in the 17th century) in order to try to draw a larger inferenance towards the trends that he notes in history. At first, the largest impact of Euro-Americans was by their goods, which helped transform--and not always for the worse--Native-American life long before colonists began to matter.

Richter traces their interactions with Europeans by reading against the grain of his sources, relying on critical analysis to recover meanings that other readers might have missed. In his narrative the transformation of Native American society was vast and far-reaching, even before the colonists arrived, and many groups we regard now as traditional or ancient were in fact new, formed from survivors of disease, warfare made more deadly by technology, or social upheaval. Native-Americans weren't static and untouched savages, either noble or brutish, but instead active participants in the Imperial economies that eventually formed, and the mixed process of accommodation, resistance, and evasion that characterized their reactions to the moves of Imperial powers. Chapter Five, especially, details the ways that native-Americans played powers against each other. Far from disconnected, they were part of a shared, if often violent, Imperial system.

Yet this very ambiguity and complexity frustrated Euro-Americans, and during the 18th century, the old securities and balances fell away, along with the Empires, until only one wasy left: the America, which could then treat itself as an advancing wall of civilization, pushing outward without any Imperial counterweights. The world shifted yet again, and his book closes with this shift at the end of the 18th century.

Richter's use of sources is skilled, and the way he combines archaeological and primary sources to create inferences and try to imagine the east is bold. At times he steps beyond the evidence and speculates on how things might have gone while admitting this: at others he concedes the limits to his ability to understand perspectives that aren't recorded, and yet at every point he engages seriously and carefully with the evidence.

Some of his methods, such as his imaginative extrapolation, seem as if in less thoughtful hands they could become an excuse for idle speculation, but Richter's book is readable, incisive, and entertaining throughout, and his line of argumentation and method of examining the issues should be followed up on in future works, both by the author and by those following in his footsteps to face in the opposite direction, and see what can be seen.

A/N: Another Precis, this one turned in on Monday night to the Professor.

Link to discussed book: https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...0...0i20i264k1j0i67k1j0i22i30k1.0.9UhSBHBuzDE

(I would have changed the content of this review a lot if I'd written it after the in-class discussion on Monday Night.)

Native-Americans weren't static and untouched savages, either noble or brutish, but instead active participants in the Imperial economies that eventually formed, and the mixed process of accommodation, resistance, and evasion that characterized their reactions to the moves of Imperial powers. Chapter Five, especially, details the ways that native-Americans played powers against each other. Far from disconnected, they were part of a shared, if often violent, Imperial system.
I'm always fascinated by how the American Indians and the rare archeological evidence of neolithic peoples in the old world contrasts with the stereotype of cave men. Although the Indians were very late neolithic, on the edge of chalcolithic if they really discovered a source of copper, their technology was surprisingly sophisticated. People really underestimate just how much there is to even a primitive civilization, just how much technology was developed, refined and lost on the march towards modernity, and just how easily that gap can be passed.

The Indians were easily capable of understanding the much more advanced technology of Europeans as soon as it was properly explained to them, yet lacked the infrastructure to use that knowledge or the numbers and wealth needed to build that infrastructure.

I'm always fascinated by how the American Indians and the rare archeological evidence of neolithic peoples in the old world contrasts with the stereotype of cave men. Although the Indians were very late neolithic, on the edge of chalcolithic if they really discovered a source of copper, their technology was surprisingly sophisticated. People really underestimate just how much there is to even a primitive civilization, just how much technology was developed, refined and lost on the march towards modernity, and just how easily that gap can be passed.

The Indians were easily capable of understanding the much more advanced technology of Europeans as soon as it was properly explained to them, yet lacked the infrastructure to use that knowledge or the numbers and wealth needed to build that infrastructure.

Even so, they were in fact part of an economy that allowed them to get some of that. Their trade in beaver pelts allowed them to obtain all sorts of goods that transformed their lives, and not merely in some way that imitated Euro-American lifestyles. At least according to the book, and the argument seems pretty solid, the real point of disintegration was when there were no longer competing Empires to play off each other and use as a source of goods and services.

Even so, they were in fact part of an economy that allowed them to get some of that. Their trade in beaver pelts allowed them to obtain all sorts of goods that transformed their lives, and not merely in some way that imitated Euro-American lifestyles.
Though Euro-American imitation shouldn't be dismissed out of hand either. The Trail of Tears would not have happened if the southern states did not consider the attempts by some Americans to uplift the Five Civilized Tribes as a threat to their westward expansion. If the Trail of Tears didn't happen, there is a slight chance that Washington and his comrades could have set America on the path of integration rather than displacement- its an alternate history that I am very fascinated with.

Anti-Rec: "The Evolution of Racism" by Pat Shipman
I can actually list a dis-recommendation:

"The Evolution of Racism" by Pat Shipman.

It was... alright, but something smelled fishy, then I started looking at it, and she devotes an entire section to examining the experience of an anthropologist, Carleton Coon, which doesn't actually look at his letters or anything. In fact, she seems to basically accept his Autobiography as written writ, when an examination of his letters reveals that, no, it wasn't some sort of PC Police silencing Scientific Truth, but that Coon was actually deeeply but covertly involved in helping Segregationists hone their anti-black arguments, all while pretending to the public to be a Scientist Just Asking Questions (you know the drill.)

And worse than getting it wrong is that there's no explanation other than laziness for it, as far as I can tell. She just read his biography and a few easily available public speeches, and created a narrative of Political Agendas getting in the way of pure science, when a simple look through the archives of his letters to his cousin (and author of the infamous Race And Reason) would have painted a far less valorous portrait of him.

Does this call the other 3/4ths of the book into question?

Yes, yes it does. And not just for viewpoint or the fact that she might be reading something into it--though honestly her argument that all these politics are corrupting pure and good science, and that this is the problem of Darwinism is not convincing--but for something deeper. Her intellectual laziness makes me question all of the chapters she wrote on Darwin and on evolution in Germany, as well as on a now-forgotten controversy in the early 90s, which is when she wrote the book.

Already, I thought that at times she overviewed things a little too much, and made more of certain things than she should, but this journalist's love of spectacle and surface over deep archival work--or maybe it's not a journalistic trend, but one unique to her--has definitely hurt a work that she no doubt intended to be a serious and thoughtful look at racism and Evolution in history.

I can't recommend it, and thus there we go. This wasn't for a class, this was an independent reaction to a book I read to see if it might be the topic of a book report I have to do.

Lesson #1 of any serious historian: Don't uncritically believe the autobiography of a controversial person without bothering to check your sources, and if you do, then don't expect to be taken seriously.

Last edited:
Congratulations on getting into grad school. I know the grad students at my uni seem like they have a pretty fun (as defined by the type of people who go into grad programs, so ymmv) time.

If a book on the history of racism focuses on an autobiography at all, I'd say the author has a far too historically myopic view of things to really to the subject justice.

I'm historically literate enough to know that a sort of xenophobic jingoism is the default state of human civilization as far back as the bronze age, though I would be surprised if it didn't extend back at least as far as the neolithic era.

If a book on the history of racism focuses on an autobiography at all, I'd say the author has a far too historically myopic view of things to really to the subject justice.

I'm historically literate enough to know that a sort of xenophobic jingoism is the default state of human civilization as far back as the bronze age, though I would be surprised if it didn't extend back at least as far as the neolithic era.

It's actually a history of Evolution and its ties/etc to racism and etc. Like, it starts with Darwin, and moves from there. It does focus rather too much on, like, personal drama, and it doesn't do the science well, *and* it ignores pre natural-selection forms of evolution and what they might have to say about biological sciences and racism, or might not. *shrugs*

She's definitely a journalist.

It's actually a history of Evolution and its ties/etc to racism and etc. Like, it starts with Darwin, and moves from there. It does focus rather too much on, like, personal drama, and it doesn't do the science well, *and* it ignores pre natural-selection forms of evolution and what they might have to say about biological sciences and racism, or might not. *shrugs*

She's definitely a journalist.
I should have known that the tittle was a lie when you said she was a journalist.

Have you ever considered the pigfucking that went on in New England during the 17th century? And the pigfucking panics that led to people being burned at the stake for it, including a man named, I'm not joking, William Hogg.

Last edited:
The Thunder in the Distance: Thundersticks by David Silverman
The Thunder In the Distance: Thundersticks by David Silverman

Guns changed Native American life: this is neither a new claim, nor one necessarily controversial. But in making his complex and well-supported argument for a "gun frontier" and the mixed impact of guns, David Silverman brings this change into powerful context. The centerpiece of his argument is the gun frontier, the idea that there was a moving frontier in which access to guns was central to Native American life and foreign policy, and in which obtaining guns allowed Native American tribes to resist encroachment better than they were otherwise.

But guns were a double-edged sword, for his work recounts the slaughter and warfare that guns brought, as the advantage allowed particular tribes, such as the Iroquois, to dominate others until a gun equilibrium had been reached, as it almost always eventually was. In backing up these claims, Silverman looks at many regions, moving both geographically and chronologically to cover, among other areas, the Northeast and the Iroquois, the South-East and the slave trade, the Northwest and the "otters for guns" trade, and the Blackfoot's regions, using accounts in Russian, English, French, and Spanish combined to tell these "gun frontier" tales, though he runs up against the limits of European knowledge, which often didn't record inter-tribe wars, such as the slave raids of the south-east. This paradigm shift is accomplished admirably despite the challenges, showing what a widely-researched history of the native continent can uncover.

However, his work does raise issues. First, when he emphasizes the agency of Native Americans in the gun frontier, he only occasionally acknowledges just what the nature of this agency truly was. Whether it's the Blackfoot raids, the Iroquois Mourning Wars, or the rampent environmental and human exploitation characterizing almost every "item for guns" trade, guns came with costs. These costs often included mass-death and enslavement of weaker tribes, and should complicate any emphasis on Native agency. Additionally, in arguing his Gun Frontier concept, he sometimes focuses on commonalities and doesn't explain differences in outcome and process. In his chapter on the "Centaur Gunman" the Blackfoot, the question arises as to whether there was a horse frontier as well, seeing as the horse was as central to the picture as the gun, if not more so. Or what about the South-East, such as the Carolinas made the bargaining position of the various slave-raiding tribes initially weaker, so that white authorities felt, at first, able to dictate terms? Did the fact that the trade was slave-based and thus associated Natives with slaves effect it? These and other questions can be raised, as can the fact that by focusing mostly on the external sources, his work might, if not placed in context, overemphasize the role of guns in Native life, by the very nature of his work.

Despite these criticisms, the work stands on its own as an able and ambitious work of scholarship whose very breadth can at times demonstrate the power of his concepts, and which should be carefully read by scholars of American history.

Last edited:
From a Discord channel, a lesson learned while reading 'Ship of Death' (about a ship that spread the Yellow Fever via mosquitos on board.)

Laurent-Today at 5:46 AM

Also, I found out more A L E X A N D E R H A M I L T O N lore.

Apparently him being a partisan hack saved his life in 1793.

Laurent-Today at 6:03 AM

No seriously.

@Nemo , Yellow Fever came to Philidelphia in 1793.

10% of the entire population died, primarily the poor.

Washington and Jefferson fled in terror (because they were in Philly back then, DC not being fully built.)

But Hamilton stuck around, at least at first, because he thought, having lived in the Carribean, that he was immune.

He wasn't, not to this strain.

So he got sick.

Now, there were two kinds of treatments.

First, Benjamin Rush, a Democratic-Republican, proposed heavily bleeding everyone, making them vomit, salivate, and expel from behind, while also stuffing them full of mercury. He swore this was a perfect cure, and many Democratic-Republicans agreed. And also the general populace, for that matter, considering how many people he got to try it on.

Second, Federalists, besides railing against immigration (and the immigrants they thought might have caused the illness), supported a milder treatment of bed-rest and getting plenty of fluids... well. Plenty of wine, and wine's a fluid, right? Care by a nurse, etc, etc.

Hamiltion wasn't going to get no Democratic Republican cure!

So he tried the second, and therefore lived to then flee the city in fear of a round two with the Reaper.

Back