THE KING NOBODY WANTED--(ASOIAF AU)

Varys still has some tricks left to play it seems, but where would he go for his secret dragon, with evidentially the chance for the trick with the pisswater prince lost and all the threads of the plans with Connington and the Golden Company and Dorne and Tyrosh all prematurely unraveling? Where can little Rhaegar go that the hands of my either Stannis or Viserys would not follow?

Back to the North with Ben and Ned would be perhaps their only true safe haven, but Varys is far from limitless and all his skills and contacts remain fixed on the south and the free cities, and besides he wants a king to place on the Iron Throne not another Stark tween as Lord Commander of the Night's Watch.

Could Varys be aiming for a bit of the canon Khal Drogo plan on terms of enlisting a great Khalasar, but in an accelerated timetable on the ground floor of whatever new Vaes Dothrak/new Chroyane is being developed at Dagger Lake?

Lyanna, you fool, you shouldn't have given Varys that chance.

Last edited:
I was wondering why we hadn't have heard of Varys since the first few chapters. Now we know. I hope his plan fail, because I like Stannis as king, but I wonder if not!Jon is Azor Ahai and how it will play with what we just saw here.

Everything depens on what Varys deal is here. Is he like in the show, in which he really wanted the best for the realm? Or is he a secret Blackfyre like suspected in the books? Or something else?
At the very least, the account he gives of Rickard in the chapter seems sincere and seems sympathetic towards Lyanna; or is it an act?

The Khal
THE KHAL

"I have heard," said Cohollo as they headed to the khal's great tent, "that the Golden Ram has wiped out a khalasar."

Drogo glanced at his bloodrider. "I have heard that he has merely blooded some scouting parties, that he has wiped out those scouting parties, that he has wiped out several khalasars, that he has perished, that he has perished and come back from the dead, that he is in fact a living god, and that he is in fact a woman." He frowned. "We hear much of the Golden Ram these days. Little of it can be verified. Much of it is nonsense."

The older man nodded. "This is true, my khal. But these reports… they are all very much the same, and they seem… credible…"

"How do they run?" said Drogo, shutting his eyes.

"The details are vague," replied Cohollo. "As one would expect." One of the elephants passed by, carrying several people on it. It struck Drogo how everyone was getting used to the beasts, including the horses. "But the tales go that he pulled off an ambush, and had his men slaughter the khalasar, starting with the warriors, and then moving on to the elderly, and the women. He might have taken the young children as prisoners, or he might not have."

Drogo's bowels were like stone. Merciless. But what can be expected? This war was begun by Khal Ogo without mercy. Should he and those with him hope for any in return? "That is it, then?" he asked, hoping his voice remained calm.

"There is a little more," said Cohollo. "It is… I do not truly credit it… It is all so fantastic…"

Drogo was about to ask him when his wife leapt at him. Meirei planted a kiss on his cheek. "Oh, beloved," she said, "it is good you're back." She pulled his hand. "Come, come, we've roasted some stallion for you."

Shierak Rahsan glanced up from her platter. "It is surprisingly good," she said. Her Dothraki had improved by leaps and bounds – while she still occasionally mangled a phrase, or launched into some tortured metaphor that had been out of favor when some foolish Dothraki poet had uttered it, most of the time, she had learned to speak well.

Drogo sat down and breathed in the savory smoke. "It smells delicious," he said at last.

Cohollo smacked his lips as Shierak handed him a platter. "Ahh, it has been too long…" Drogo smiled as he tore into his meal. Horsemeat was the finest meat. It made a man sturdy and strong, like a stallion. Some great khals had it with every meal. But the Great Ride had been a rushed thing, a thing where one never knew one might need a new horse. Especially once the Horse Killers started making themselves known. And so they had eaten goat meat and more goat meat, and whatever they could hunt up on the grasslands. It is good, to see things returning to normal. Meirei and Shierak both smiled at him, watching him eat.

The tent flap opened, and Qotho and Haggo entered talking excitedly amongst themselves. "...tell you it is all folly," declared Qotho. "The Lamb Men cannot be performing such marvels against Ogo! It is nothing more than rumors and lies! The babble of frightened children."

Haggo gave a slow nod. "That may be so, Qotho. But I hear many, many stories of the Golden Ram putting his foes to flight and khalasars to the sword. I hear very few of him being beaten, and they are thin things, paltry things, things that look like they've been spun of wishes and dreams."

Drogo glanced at the pair. "More talk of this Lhazareen prophet, eh? Cohollo was telling me of his latest deed earlier." He shook his head.

"Talk of the Great Prophet of Lhazar spreads like a fever in the New City of Dothrak," said Glarus Glyn Glesai, softly. He had entered without a sound, like a pale shadow, and Khal Drogo was once again glad that he had this man's esteem and gratitude. "At campfires, at stalls, they mutter of him." The Qartheen shrugged. "As can only be expected. He is the stuff that fear, dread and interesting tales are made of. And he is not the only fearful thing they mention. The Headtaker is in Volantis."

Drogo glanced up at that. "Khal Preisoo? But… I had heard he was in Mantarys."

"He was," said the Qartheen, pacing about the tent. "He has agreed to serve the Archon of Mantarys as a strategos, and in that capacity, has come to Volantis."

Cohollo blinked at that. "What…? You are speaking nonsense! Mantayrs has no Archon, it is ruled by a council."

"That was what I thought," said Glarus with a nod. "But apparently, something has happened, and they have named an Archon, one Gorynych Zmei, and he has sent his own brother, one Tugaryn Zmei, to Volantis to serve as his emissary. Preisoo has been sent with him, and presently, as his charge irons out terms of alliance with the triarchs, the khal enjoys the city's pleasures."

Drogo nodded. "That sounds like the Headtaker," he said. He looked at the Qartheen. "Have you ever met him?"

Glarus shook his head. "I know him only by reputation."

"Pray to whatever gods it is you Milk Men keep that is how it stays," said Cohollo. "The Headtaker is…" He shook his head and was silent.

Drogo glanced around the room. "So… what is this great tale of the Golden Ram that has everyone so fearful?"

They were silent for awhile, but at last, Haggo spoke. "They say that the khalasar he slaughtered – or the first khalasar he slaughtered, for the tales vary – he left only one survivor. A young girl." His cousin regarded Drogo levelly. "The Golden Ram had her lamed, and the image of a dismembered horse branded on her forehead, so that all who looked on her would remember what he had done."

Drogo felt his stomach turn, and saw Meirei wince and Shierak grow pale. "That.." He took a deep breath. "It is a fearful tale."

Haggo nodded. "The tale continues that Khal Ogo had her killed, to keep her from spreading unease among his alliance."

Qotho laughed at that. "The tale may be nonsense, but if it were not, I could credit Ogo with that. He was ever a decisive man."

Cohollo stared at his fellow. "If it were done, Qotho, did it stop men from talking of her? Has it stopped us from talking of her?"

Qotho scowled and looked away. "Oh, what is this preoccupation with the Golden Ram? It is not like he is about to fly over river and plain and come here!"

"It is not, Qotho?" said Haggo softly.

There was silence in the tent for a while, and then a young voice came crying. "Great Khal! Great Khal!" A young boy darted in the tent. "Great Khal, the river people… they wish to speak to you."

Drogo turned to look at the boy. He looks familiar… "I am at meal…" He peered at the boy. "Ratarro?"

"Rakarro," corrected the boy gently. "And they tell me that they wish to speak to you now."

Drogo nodded, and rose. "Very well. Haggo, you come with me. Glarus Glyn Glesai… you as well." He turned to Cohollo and Qotho. "You two… protect my wife, and keep an eye on things in case…"

"It will be done, blood of my blood," said Cohollo.

Shierak stood. "I wish to come with you, khal. I speak Old Rhoynish, and you have seen how with great magnitude I scan a situation."

"Very well," said Drogo, with a nod. She fell in behind the little group, who followed young Rakarro. Drogo looked at Glarus Glyn Glesai. "These stories of the Golden Ram grow ever more marvellous. His skill at war, his army of ghosts…"

"Some of it is less marvellous than you might think, khal," said the Qartheen. "When I was an Honored Blade of Qarth, we often patrolled the Red Waste. There are ghosts there. The ifrit, we call them, though there are other names for them. I believe you Dothraki have one. They live in desolate places and hide in the shadows, steal upon lone travellers…"

"Man-eaters," said Drogo, with a shudder.

"Yes, that is it," said Glarus with a nod. "I still remember the instructions we were given. Do not wander off by yourself, and if you absolutely must, stay in sight of the others. Always light a fire and keep it going, throughout the night. Sleep in shifts, and do so that two or three of you are awake and on guard at a given time. They can overpower one man, and then you are all dead. Keep your mounts close at hand, lest they be frighted or killed, leaving you stranded and at their mercy. Be wary of mysterious calls for help, and strange startling cries, of strange paths, and odd changes to the ways you travel, meant to draw you away from safety, and into danger." He shook his head. "I was with a party that captured one, once. The creature gave such a strange, boastful accounting of itself, claimed descent from gods and heroes, tried to bribe us with the locations of lost treasures it swore were beyond our imaginings." The Qartheen shrugged. "We brought it back, and hanged it from the city walls."

"They sound like very fleshy ghosts," noted Drogo.

"Not that fleshy," replied Glarus. "A skinny thing, the one I saw. It likely weighed less than some children I've seen. But then we have many fat children in Qarth." Glarus' mouth became a tight thin line. "I do not know how many there are, these ghosts of the Red Waste. Perhaps a few thousand. Or perhaps a few hundred. However many there are, they would likely only fill a very small town if you gathered them together. But it would not be a town I would like to visit."

They'd reached the lakeshore. A small boat stood there, a tall woman standing in it. She raised an eyebrow as they approached. "My," she said, in accented Dothraki, "you travel with a small crowd."

"You have called for a khal, river lady," said Haggo. "They do not come by themselves."

The woman took a deep breath and muttered something in her own tongue. "Very well," she said. "Get in. I shall take you to the Eldest Daughter."

Drogo glanced at Shierak as he stepped into the boat. "What was that she just said?" he asked quietly.

"A simple obscenity," she whispered back. "She called you a group of 'fucking horsefuckers'."

Drogo snickered at that. "No surprise there," he muttered. "More or less on her face."

"No whispering," snapped the woman. "I do not have to do this, and then you'll be left on the shore, and then where will you be, eh?"

"Back on the shore," said Haggo flatly.

The woman scowled and then pushed off. They went on in silence for awhile. "There are dozens of islands here," said the woman suddenly. Drogo saw they were approaching a small island covered with dark trees. "You would not find this place without my help. You will not find it again, if we do not help you. Remember that, horsefucker!"

They hit the shore with a bump, and she gestured for them to get off. As they stepped off, she started to secure her little boat, grumbling the whole time. They stood in a grove of trees, Drogo saw, and in the distance, there was a wooden statue, the size of a very tall man. Drogo approached it. Shierak gasped, and followed. "That is… I have seen it in…"

It was the statue of a man of extraordinary height. To judge by what was before him, he was two and a half heads taller than Drogo. The man's upper body seemed strangely massive, even for his gigantic stature, and his head was misshapen and oversized, with a grotesque lantern jaw and jutting beak of a nose. Or rather, his main head was, for a second one about the size of a large apple grew out of the side of his neck. Drogo realized what he was looking at, and looked it over. The man's immense left hand was before his chest, and a little yellow bird was perched on it, resting on the index finger. Drogo looked down and saw that a sword and a shield were carved at the man's feet. Many flowers had been left to rest there as well, red, and purple, and white, and yellow. He looked at the face again. It was an ugly face, but the eyes were gentle, and the mouth's heavy lips rested in a kind smile.

"This must be the first model," said Shierak, kneeling down to regard it. "There's a great statue of marble like this in Myr. Built after he thwarted the Twelve and saved the city. It rests in the Fishers Port. The Assembly wished to put it at the front gates, but he refused." A smile came over her face. "He told them to put his image in some out of the way place. So they put it at the Fishers' Port. Then expanded it. It's one of the great ports of Myr now." She chuckled. "Since the war, the council has tried to have it taken down, every now and then. The people all but riot when it's threatened. And so it still stands."

"The two-headed dragon," said Haggo with a nod. He looked it over. "Huh, I always thought the second head would be… more of a head. That looks like a bump."

"It has eyes, a nose and mouth," drawled Glarus.

"Yes, but… tiny," said Haggo. "I barely consider that a nose at all."

"True, true," agreed Glarus.

Drogo was about to tell them to be quiet when he saw the four people who had arrived, a man and three women. He coughed and turned to them. The others followed his example. "You have called us, and we have come," said Drogo.

The oldest of the women, an strangely elegant figure with grey hair who stood in the center of the group, nodded. "I am the Eldest Daughter."

The man, who had a thick black mustache and greying hair, nodded. "I am the Old Mother's Son."

"Oooh, oooh," said Haggo suddenly. He pointed at the other two women. "And you are the Younger Daughter, and the Youngest Daughter, yes?"

There was an awkward silence. The woman who had rowed them ashore snorted. "I told you it was no use dealing with these horsefuckers!"

"Korra, bide your tongue," said the Eldest Daughter. Korra looked downcast and managed a nod. The Eldest Daughter regarded the group. "My apology. My niece often mistakes cruelty for strength, and insults for wit."

The Youngest Daughter nodded. "Something her mother has warned her about. Many times."

Korra pouted. "I am sorry…"

Haggo coughed. "Yes, I am also sorry. I often spoil the endings of sagas and ballads and the like because I have figured them out."

"This is true," said Drogo with a nod.

"It is also immaterial to this meeting," noted the Old Mother's Son.

"Always blunt, brother," said the Eldest Daughter, with a smile. "It is why I keep you around."

"Besides being family, of course," noted the Old Mother's Son, chuckling.

The Eldest Daughter nodded at the Dothraki. "We are receiving offers from behind the Black Walls. The Old Blood is uneasy about you."

"The Old Blood had better get over its unease," replied Drogo. "We've no plans to move."

The Younger Daughter smiled. "We've noticed. We always thought of you Dothraki as roaming more…"

"My people are tired," said Drogo quickly. "We have fled horror and death."

"That can we understand," said the Eldest Daughter. "But the Old Blood is a power, while you Dothraki… well, you have been a power, but we grow less and less certain that you remain one. We hear news of the Prophet of Lhazar and his victories. We hear news of Zekko's failures at Saath. And we wonder." She looked at him pointedly. "We require reasons to choose you, and not them."

Drogo nodded, and looked at the statue of the two-headed dragon. "You honor him still, I see. Those flowers are new."

"Some fools do," said the Eldest Daughter. "It has been many years since we sailed with Maelys."

"It has been many years since my father rode with him," said Drogo. He gestured to Haggo. "My father and his brother, his father." He looked at the four levelly. "There is a bond in that. Our fathers were of one company. Our fathers and your mother. Who I suspect was higher in rank in that great gathering."

"You would be right," said the Youngest Daughter. "Though fortune favored your parent more than ours when it was over."

"Maybe so," said Drogo with a nod. The coin he'd made as one of the two-headed dragon's swords was what had truly let Bharbo ride as a khal in his own right. "But my father rides with the Great Stallion now, and your mother…"

"Rides the river above," said the Younger Daughter.

"Well, that is not so far," noted Drogo with a smile. "Perhaps they travel together again."

The Eldest Daughter was smiling at that. "Perhaps they do. But that is no reason for us to travel together."

"Maybe not," agreed Drogo. "But as you say, some fools leave flowers to him." He looked at her significantly. "Which ones did you leave?"

"The purple ones," she replied. "They were his favorite." She took a deep breath, and then approached the statue. When she reached it, she patted that misshapen face fondly. "The apple knight said to me once, 'I do not care if others find him ugly. To me, he is the soul of beauty'." She shut her eyes, and tears began to well up. "I told him I agreed."

Shierak stared in surprise. "You… loved him…"

"I was a woman wed, with children," the Eldest Daughter said. "But yes. Not as an object of desire, but as… such a good, pure soul. When my mother asked him why he had allied with us, taken up the cause of those thought all but lost, he told her, in that sweet, soft voice he had, that he'd found lost causes were the only ones worth fighting for." A smile came to her face, sad and yet somehow happy, and Drogo thought of his father and of Bharbei. "They were very much alike, he and my mother. They did not live for themselves. They lived for others. I can still see them, walking about, her so small, him so big, both smiling, both enjoying each other's company."

She bowed her head and then the tears truly started. "But they've both been dead for so long. And sometimes, it is hard for me to call them to my mind. Them and all the others. Men have put new images up, lying images, and I must try very hard to remember my own dear mother. Sweet good Maelys, and his loyal apple knight. Dashing Liomond, bold Nine Eyes, doughty Xobar, grand and sad Silvertongue, and poor, poor Tom Sand. Samarro and the Dauntless used to visit when they could… they… came for mother's funeral, along with their daughter, but he has sought the Doom in the manner of his people, and she… has her own concerns now." She took a long breath. "Still sends some supplies up river when she can. That woman is not one to forget her friends, and that is her triumph and that is her tragedy."

"I… I am sorry, to cause you grief…" began Drogo.

The Eldest Daughter laughed at that. "Life causes me grief, young man. All you did was give me cause to recall it." She looked him clean in the eye. "Listen, if you stay here, then we wish to send our people to that… strange little gathering you've created. The Old Rhoynar have had enough of having others dictate our fate. Our voice shall be heard."

Drogo nodded. "I will tell the others this, and they will likely agree. This place… is sacred to us both, and we are both of us in need of shelter."

The Eldest Daughter nodded in return, then began to head back to her siblings. She paused briefly. "Tell me, Khal, do you plan on leaving some flowers for him, at some time?"

"I think so," replied Drogo. "He has most assuredly saved me and mine from beyond the grave." The woman smiled and went on her way. She and her three siblings went into the trees, and then Drogo heard some movement on the water. He turned to Korra, who sat near her boat, scowling.

"Right," she said. "You four give me a moment to get my boat in order. Then we go." She glared at them. "And you better do as my aunt said you ought."

"Why would my khal do otherwise?" asked Haggo. "It would be sacrificing the confidence he just gained with her for… nothing." Korra stared at him, scowled, and then went back to unfastening her boat. Haggo watched her for a moment. "Would you like some…?"

"NO!" she shouted, then went back to her task, muttering Rhoynish words under her breath that Drogo suspected involved calling them all horsefuckers.

"Well, you handled that well," said Shierak. "Indeed, you had no real need of me in that."

"Oh, no," said Drogo. "You were invaluable. What you said, about Myr… If they still hold the two-headed dragon in such regard there, well, what of those who fought beside him. Especially when they've this here."

"Did your father really fight for Maelys Blackfyre?" she asked.

Drogo nodded. "My father and his brother. It was a long strange path that changed Bharbo from a humble herder of goats to a mighty khal." He looked at her closely. "Now, perhaps you can answer a question of mine. What is your name? I know it is not what I have been calling you, because that is a Dothraki phrase."

"It is my name," she said. "Rendered in your tongue. I am of the Brightstars." She said that last in the fluid speech of the Free Cities.

"Brightstar," he said. "It has a pretty ring. But that is your family name. What is your given name?"

She chuckled and shook her head. "Oh, that I'll not tell you. I'd much rather go by Shierak Rahsan. My given name… my mother named me for my uncle. He's a dear man, but his name is a fright, and to make it worse, the version my mother gave me… It is not a real name, or wasn't until I was saddled with it."

"I would still like to hear it," said Drogo.

"No, you wouldn't," Shierak said, chuckling.

Last edited:
I'm trying to think of families who might, through a literal translation, be called "brightstar". About all i can think of is the Daynes at a stretch, and none of them seem to have horrible first names.

Aerion Brightflame's Lyseni byblows, his disinherited son Maegor, or little Maegor growing up to get to know his Lysene kin in er the Valerian family way?

I'm trying to think of families who might, through a literal translation, be called "brightstar". About all i can think of is the Daynes at a stretch, and none of them seem to have horrible first names.

The Brightstar family has shown up before in connection with their place of business, and their cousins.

"Who am I?" he said, straightening. "Why, I am I! That is, I am me, myself, and I am also an emissary, a representative, an ambassador plenipotentiary of the great House of the Morning and the Evening Star." He gestured to his companions. "And I am the uncle of these glittering darlings, the Brighstars and Nightstars of the House." The youths all began to twirl in unison, forming lines and circles as they did so. "Lovely, are they not? An ornament to any house that would have them."

And 'Shierak' has previously mentioned her training there...

Shierak stepped forward eagerly. "Arrive let me!" she said in Dothraki. Drogo sighed, and she switched to Trader's Talk. "I was trained by the House of the Morning and Evening Star. I speak the Valyrian tongues, Qartheeni, old Rhoynish, the Andal common speech, the Trade Talk, and various others, but more importantly, I'm trained in body language, in dress, in habits. Take me as an ornament, and I'll tell you the things these Volantene merchants think in their heads and imagine they hide from you."

So see? Nothing untoward happening at all! :whistle:

So, Khal Bharbo rode with Maelys Blackfyre, I wonder how many people know this little fact?

As I've noted elsewhere, Khal Bharbo was just Bharbo at that time, one of the many Dothraki Maelys hired to serve as scouts and skirmishers over the years. He just really, really made it work for him afterwards.

Postscript--And just to make it clear, yes, Korra is a canon character.

Last edited:
I really like this conception of the Band of Nine, extending out the basic ideology of "I have a sword gimme my crown" to yeah a bunch of formerly mighty peoples and groups now dispossessed loved them and continue to honor their memory. The Old Mother and the surviving Rhoynish of the Stepstones and Dagger Lake, Maelys and the Golden Company and Westerosi exiles in general, Alequo Silvertongue and the poor freemen of Tyrosh, and like Liomond Lashare and the pit fighters and gladiators like Spartacus style.

Just caught up on this story and it is one of the best ASOIAF fanfics.
I especially love your depiction of things that rarely show up in other stories. The Masters of Kings Landing are great, probably my favorite part. Also the depiction of religion as a positive in some peoples lives and them taking it seriously. (Usually, religion is only depicted as a negative or as something for dumb people, probably due to the general demographics of who is writing this type of fanfic.)
I basically love all the non-noble characters (+Tytos of course).

The Dothraki being actually smart and sophisticated is also welcome. Too often they just show up as unthinking savages.

The only slight criticisms I can think of are that the cast of characters is slightly too big to keep track of. Also there is sometimes too much exposition instead of things happening.
Still, this is really great. Thank you for writing it.

The Dark Lady
THE DARK LADY

Belthus Byet sat beside Jayde, sipping at his little glass of the juniper-strongwine he'd brought, looking both austere and elegant in that clothing of his that was blacker than black. "I do apologize for the trouble," he said softly.

Jayde laughed. "Oh, come. He has not returned," she said. "He's gone to Myr, as I understand it. Or rather somewhere about Myr." She gestured to the old man, playing cyvasse at a table with one of Brightstar nieces. "He says it is some fort…"

"Blackcastle Tower," said the old man, not even looking up from the board as he made his next cyvasse move. His niece bit her lip and started to look over the game nervously.

"That is it," said Jayde, chuckling.

Belthus Byet shrugged. "Still, I should have remembered that like many worms, Vargo Hoat tends to lash out at vulnerable targets when crushed under the heel of a strong boot." He bowed his head. "Again apologies for heedlessness."

Jayde shook her head. "I never knew you Qohrik could be so sweet. Or that your drinks could be so fine." She brought up her own little cup of that juniper-strongwine and took a sip. "It is… interesting. The flavor…"

"Enjoy it in moderation," said the Qohorik. "Peket has a demon in it that can take those who overindulge."

"Like most pleasures, then," said Jayde.

Belthus took her hand. "The lady is wise," he said, then brought her hand to her lips and left the faintest of kisses on it.

Chataya shook her head and glanced at the Qohorik musicians she had hired, playing unobtrusively in the corner. She'd thought originally to have them here only for this meeting that Lord Belthus was having with some of his fellows, but they were proving quite… adept. She'd always imagined that Qohor music must be nothing but dirges but it was far from that. She watched their leader play another spritely tune on his strange six-stringed lute. You would not think a man could get so many notes out of such a thing, but somehow he could. She had sent for some Summer Isles' musicians – now she was wondering if perhaps she should simply retain these Qohorik. She shook her head. I've sent for them, and they are my people. I will give them a chance. I'm sure we can work something out if I decide to keep these Qohorik.

"And I take your king," said the old man.

His niece clicked her tongue. "That was mean, qybor," she stated. "You made me think I was winning. I'd taken both your dragons."

"Cyvasse's a cruel game," he said, tipping his ridiculous hat at her. "And you were closer than you might think."

"How close?" asked the girl.

"Leave an old man his secrets, my dear," said her uncle, smiling. He turned to Chataya and signaled for a drink. She smiled, and poured him another, then walked to their table. "Ahh, thank you, mine hostess. I fear I've not wet my lips in a while."

"Qybor," said the girl, raising one silver-gold eyebrow in concern.

The old man sighed. "Oh, very well." He turned to Chataya. "Make it a small drink. Liquor is one of the family evils, I'm afraid." He shrugged, and turned to his niece, as Chataya poured some of the wine back into the jug. "There, see, Ilyra? Your dear uncle knows how to care for himself." Ilyra smiled, and pinched his cheek. The old man smiled back, then took the glass from Chataya. "A treasure, is she not? Like her sisters and various cousins of various degrees."

"They have been a great help," said Chataya. It was true, and not simply in pillow play. Ilyra in particular was helping with the children – Alayaya and Dancy adored her, and even shy Marei seemed to becoming fond of her. As for the others… She glanced around the room, where every Brightstar and Nightstar there seemed to be seated near a happy client. They are doing well here.

"Of course they have," said the old man. "My darlings are exquisitely trained, and of exceptional breeding." He gestured about. "Why, each has the blood of princes…" He leaned forward. "You think I jest. But Ilyra is the daughter of a Prince of Pentos!"

Ilyra nodded at this. "Of course this is true of a good portion of the noblewomen of Pentos," she noted with a sardonic grin.

The old man gestured towards a table where three of his nieces, two with dark hair and one with the same silvery-gold as Ilyra were entertaining a group of Tyroshi nobles. "Seja and Soji Nightstar, and Syloa Brightstar are each the offspring of a different Prince of Lorath." He gestured to another table, where a handsome young youth wearing an elaborate bright red wig was flirting outrageously with a pair of older Tyrosh men. "Young Losha is of noble Norvosi stock, though his family does… mmm, not like to acknowledge him. You know how the Norvosi are."

He waved to one that Chataya knew well, exotic Tyaka, with her teak-and-honey skin and pale white hair. Presently she sat at a table with a solitary Tyroshi nobleman, who had five trained lemurs with him. The little creatures darted about on his command, and even fed him. He seemed to take the food from their little paws with a rather disturbing avidity to Chataya's eyes, though Tyaka . "She is the daughter of a countryman of yours, one of great fame," said her uncle. "Xhobar Qhoqua."

"The Ebon Prince was from the Bones," said Chataya quietly. "Not a countryman."

"His mother was from Sweet Lotus Vale," noted the old man. "And Xhobar would have said that all from the Summer Isles are countrymen." He shrugged. "But perhaps that was his problem. A fine cyvasse player, mind you. Oh, the games he and I played at the House." He began to set the board for another game. "There's a pair of sons in the Golden Company, as I understand it. No kin of mine, mind you." Tyaka leaned forward and patted the head of one of her companion's lemurs. The Tyroshi seemed quite appreciative of this.

Chataya was still thinking of this revelation when Belthus placed his sheathed sword on the table before Jayde. The woman laughed. "I didn't think you'd actually do that," she said.

"You requested it," said Belthus. "I'm a man of honor, and it is within the bounds of my oaths." He ran his fingers familiarly over the covered blade. "It is very old, you know. A true Fifteenth." Jayde blinked at that. The Qohorik smiled. "In the days of the Freehold, it was the price that for every fourteen blades we forged for Old Valyria, we could make one for ourselves of the Metal." He spoke this last word with a peculiar emphasis tinged with reverence.

Jayde stared at it, looking almost afraid of it. "I'd… heard that Valyrian steel was made in Valyria."

"And so it was," said the Qohorik. "For only the Fourteen Flames burned hot enough to start work on the Metal, and only many dragons could keep the flames going so it could be finished. But the art and the craft of my people – it was only with this that the Freehold could truly unlock all the potential of the Metal. Each of those blades made for ourselves, the makers poured their all their craft into, making some of the finest blades imaginable. In this way, if no other, the height of the Freehold was our height."

Belthus sighed and shook his head. "Now… we have the means to reforge it, to repair it, to reshape it if necessary but… even leaving aside the fact that no more of the Metal may be produced, our finest smiths and artisans were at Valyria when the Doom came. Their secrets and spells lost now forever. And that damned fool Aurion Belaerys took many others with him when he marched them to the Doom." He shook his head. "Even with the Freehold gone, the Valyrians still found ways to make my people suffer for their pleasure."

"Wasn't… Qohor a colony of Valyria?" whispered Jayde.

Belthus gave an enigmatic smile. "The city of Qohor began as a logging camp in the Forest of Qohor. As it grew, it became a colony dedicated to the worship of the Black Goat." The Qohorik shrugged. "This is true. And yet my people will tell you we have been in Qohor since the dawn of time, and we have worshiped the Black Goat about as long. And perhaps this is also true."

Jayde nodded, and then looked again at the sword. "Lord Lucerys once showed me his Valyrian steel dagger. It was… a strangely beautiful thing…"

"I do not unsheath my blade, save when I must," said Belthus, returning the sword to his belt. "Such is my vow."

One of the Tyroshi nobles, a man wearing orange clothing, with hair dyed a bright red, had been watching all this with interest, and rose suddenly, walking to Belthus and Jadye's table. "Qohorik," he said, eyes filled with contempt, "did I hear that you need a reason to unsheath your blade?"

"No," said Belthus. "But I believe you have misconstrued it as such. Be off with you." The old man frowned and rose from his chair, making his way to the musicians.

"Do you know who I am?" said the noble.

"No, but I sense you are going to tell me," said Belthus.

"I am Stallados Ostoyr," said the Tyrosh, spreading his bright orange cloak to show the blade at his side. "Men call me the Furious Tiger." Baladar Xi moved carefully from the door.

Belthus nodded. "As you appear to enjoy this, my congratulations."

"Do not mock me, Qohorik," snapped Stallados. "You are not worthy of this fine blade you carry. I…" The musicians began to play a tune, a surprisingly sprightly one. Stallados' face paled as he heard it, while Belthus' eyes narrowed. The Qohorik looked to the musicians and said something in his native tongue. It struck Chataya that it was one of the oddest tongues of the Free Cities, guttural and harsh where the others were lilting and musical. If the others seemed to have all started as Valyrian, even Braavosi, Qohorik sounded like it had started as itself, and then had Valyrian briefly move through it. The tune stopped. "You... you are Belthus Byet," said Stallados slowly.

"That is my name, yes," said the Qohorik.

Stallados gulped, and pulled his cloak close, hiding his blade. "I…" He gave a nervous chuckle, then bowed. "Apologies, Lord Byet," he said. "I… didn't realize it was you."

"That is obvious," replied Belthus.

"None… none of what I said was meant," said the Tyroshi, backing away nervously.

"Oh, it was meant," said Belthus. "Just for a man other than I. Relax, Furious Tiger. If I wanted you dead, you would be dead right now." The Tyroshi walked back quickly to his table, and said something to his companions. After a moment, they all rose, and rushed to leave the establishment. Belthus watched them go, then glanced at Chataya. "My apologies for scaring away your custom."

"They have already paid," replied Chataya. "And you are a far more valuable customer."

Belthus smiled at that, nodded, and then turned to the musicians. "My apologies as well, Master Mydarra. I… dislike having that song played around me. Your decision…"

"My decision," said the old man, returning to his seat. "I am the one who told him to play that. And paid him when he objected."

"Then a double apology, for my harshness, and my mistake," said the Qohorik. He turned to the old man. "I understand your intentions, but I found that display… gauche and extravagant."

"I am a bawd, Lord Byet," said the old man, returning to his cyvasse game. "Being gauche and extravagant goes with the profession." The Qohorik smiled at that, and took another sip of his drink.

"What was the song?" asked Jayde.

Belthus sighed. "A silly thing about a deed of little note I performed once," he said. "They call it 'A Fifteenth on His Hip', and they sometimes play it and think I will be flattered." He shrugged, and there was an uncomfortable silence. The door opened, and another Qohorik entered, a woman, followed by an older Sarnori man. Like her fellow, she was clad almost entirely in black, though her clothing lacked the little silver ornaments that Belthus had on his sleeves and collar. Belthus nodded at her as she entered. "Lady Severa. Hail and well met, brave companion."

Severa's dark eyes looked around the chamber. "Hail and well met, brave companion." She gestured to the Sarnori who accompanied her. "Zor Dmitri accompanies me, as you requested."

The old Sarnori gave a slight bow. "I thank you, Lord and Lady, for your aid."

"We are companions of the Vow," said Belthos, as Severa sat down beside him. "Thanks are not needed. We serve as our oaths direct us."

"I heard some Tyroshi muttering about you as my charge and I entered," said the Qohorik woman.

"There was a small scene," said Belthos. "It ended swiftly once the man starting it knew it was I he dealt with."

"Perhaps I should have hurried here," said Severa, spreading her cloak. There was a sword on its side, the hilt crowned by the image of a snarling wolf's head. The sword's guard appeared to be Valyrian steel worked in the image of a pair of measuring scales. "Two brave companions are better than one."

Jayde glanced at the pair as Zor Dmitri took his seat. "You keep saying… Is this like Vargo Hoat's sellsword company?"

Severa's eyebrow raised. "Vargo Hoat has a sellsword company now?"

"He was named captain of the Doughty and the True last year," said Belthos. "He's renamed it the Brave Companions."

"That… sounds like him," muttered Severa, with a scowl. "One day, I swear, my blade will find his throat…"

"If the Black Goat wills it," said Belthus, sipping his drink.

Severa scowled further at this, and turned to Jayde. "To answer your question, no, we are nothing like that bloody fool, and whatever gathering of gutter trash he now stands at the head of. At best he wishes he were like us." She chuckled darkly. "That is Vargo Hoat. As pathetic and disgraceful as he is vile. I can almost pity him. Almost." She glanced at Jayde and Belthus' glasses, licked her lips, then signaled Chataya for a glass.

Chataya approached with two, and handed her one. She gave the other to Zor Dmitri and then gestured to the wine bottles at her desk. "Not now," said the Sarnori. "I would like a clear head when my guests arrive."

Belthus was already pouring Severa some of the juniper-strongwine from his flask. "Quite admirable," he said.

"Indeed, indeed," said Severa, sipping down her drink. "We have great respect for your temperance."

There was a clatter coming down the stairs, as Lord Tydres' party came down. Some members were cheerful, and others were less so, though trying not to show it. The Merryweathers were with them, Taena looking happy and gay, and Orton looking quietly pleased. Lord Brymel stood in the back, his hair now dyed a flamboyant red. As his fellows filed out, he looked rather pleadingly at Lord Orton. "About those winnings…" he began.

"Tut tut, Lord Brymel," answered Orton calmly, "I am in no hurry to collect. Whenever you have the funds ready to pay, then I will accept them."

Brymel nodded nervously. "Yes, yes, thank you…" He began to head quickly to the door.

"I do hope we can see you again soon, Lord Brymel," said Taena, all sweetness. As soon as he was out of sight, she glanced at her husband and smirked.

The old man moved his catapult on the cyvasse board. "I thought you worked by losing your games?"

"Most of the time," said Orton. "But I allow myself the occasional streak of good luck. Especially when it helps with other matters. Lord Brymel is about to encounter someone who will offer a great deal of money to undertake certain actions. He has a definite incentive to do so now. Or more of one. Spends his money quite freely, does our Lord Brymel."

"He simply spends freely," said Taena with a chuckle. Orton snorted in response.

The old man raised a silvery eyebrow at this. "So what is the cause of your patron?"

"We do not know," replied Taena.

"Nor do we care," noted Orton. His wife nodded at this. "As long as we are paid," he continued, "and have a clean route away from any trouble, we are well-satisfied."

The old man regarded them for a moment. "As charming as I find the pair of you," he said at last, "I think you number among some of the most terrifyingly cold-blooded people I know. And I have known many terrifying people."

"We'll take that as a compliment, cove," said Taena, as the pair headed out.

The old man shook his head and sighed. He glanced at Chataya. "At moments like this, I start to feel I have a poor taste in friends."

Chataya chuckled. "I think it is better to say you can appreciate a broad range of people, from heroes to villains."

He laughed at that, and moved another cyvasse piece. "A gift for all in our profession."

"Another is charm, and you most assuredly have that," she noted.

"Thank you, lady," he said with a nod. "My mother told me once it was a gift of the gods. Of course, as she had her left arm tied down at that time as she felt it was conspiring to kill her, I've never been quite sure how to take it."

The door opened again, as yet another black-clad Qohorik entered, a tall and grizzled man, whose cloak and garb seemed worn. Severa and Belthus nodded at him. "Hail and well met, brave companion," they said.

"Hail and well met, brave companions," he said in reply. He gestured behind him. "I bring with me the cause for our meeting, Zor Alexi, and Lok of Far Ib." Chataya looked and saw a handsome young Sarnori man with a neat black beard, and a red-haired Ibbenese man. Zor Alexi's garb was fine but simple, from his blue-green cloak, to his pale yellow tunic, on which the image of a sea-dragon wrapped around a pearl was painted. Lok's was understated, but all fine – his brown cloak was threaded with gold and silver, and he had emeralds and sapphires laced into his beard.

Zor Dmitri stood. "Excellent. It is you then? The Lord of the Silver Hall, Master of the Two Hundred Gates, Chanter of the Names of the Thirtyfold Thirty Gods, Prince of the Line Illustrious, Son of Mishka, Grandson of Zor Fyodor, the Pearl Beyond Price, the Thread Which Does Not Diminish, Friend to the Supplicant, Staff to the Needy, He Who Is, Blood of the High Kings, Heir to the Line Regnal, First Lord of Saath, and High Prince of the Sarnor?"

Alexi sighed. "Those are among my titles, yes."

Dmitri nodded. "Good." He turned to Chataya. "I will have that drink now." As she started to pour, the old Sarnori turned to the guests. "Know that before you stands Zor Dmitri, Lord of the Halls of Battle, Shield to His People, Scourge to His Foes, Speaker of the Name of Victory, Prince of the Line Triumphant, Son of Zor Yaropolk, Grandson of Zor Olag, the Sword of Battle, the Arrow That Does Not Miss, Breaker of Bones, Crusher of Wills, He Whose Hands Are Red, Blood of the Fated, First Lord and Sovereign of Mardosh." Chataya handed him his drink, noting to herself that his wrinkled hands were most certainly not red. Dmitri took the glass, and raised it high. "To the city unconquered, even in defeat!" He gulped the drink down in one swallow, and then set it down on the table.

Chataya had thought herself surprised by the man's utterance, but Zor Alexi was shocked. "Mardosh?" he said. "But… Mardosh has been dust and ashes for three and half centuries."

"Indeed, oh, Pearl Beyond Price," said Dmitri. "Dust and ashes, its people slain by their own hands to escape defilement and enslavement by the Dothraki. And I… I am its Prince." He sat down and shook his head. "Ahh, it is a proud day for me. My Aloshya… he should be here. To meet you… the High Prince of our people. He would enjoy this."

Alexi and Lok glanced at each other and walked to the table. "I must thank you, Lord Byet, Lady Vileks, and Lord Snow, for your aid in arranging this meeting…" said the Sarnori prince.

"Unlike my fellows I am no lord, great sirs," said the Qohorik who had brought Lok and Alexi here as he sat down next to Lady Severa. "Merely a Companion of the Vow."

"You say that as if it means nothing," noted Alexi, sitting down. "There are fewer of you than there are princes and lords in Saath. There can not be more than thirty of you…"

"Twenty-five, at present," said Snow.

"Twenty-four," corrected Belthus, a sad smile on his face. "Delthan Ot has passed."

Snow and Severa both looked grim at this news. "May the Black Goat watch His own," said Snow at last. "What happened, and how did you hear of it?"

"He died from wounds received in the Flatlands, in service to his vow," said Belthus. "I heard it from the Bringer of Woe, who goes to Pentos to collect Indignation."

"Good to hear the Supplicant can stir from his wives at Kadath," said Severa.

"Lord Efraeym is a man of honor," said Snow. "That he cares for his family is no flaw, especially as it hardly prevents him from his duties as these present circumstances show." Severa scowled at that, while Belthus gave a polite cough.

"We offend the ears of those with us with the paltry and uninteresting doings of our order," noted Belthus.

Lok shook his shaggy head even as Chataya poured his drink. "Oh, on the contrary, we find this all fascinating." The Ibbenese smiled. "And we are very thankful for Qohor's aid in this…"

"Our aid," said Snow. "This comes from Brave Companions of the Vow, doing as we will."

"We walk where we walk," said Belthus. "We go where we go."

"Ours the path with no ending," said Severa. "Ours the charge, ours the vow. Through the wood, to the dark and past it."

"If Qohor be aided by our wanderings, well, we rejoice, for who cannot love the land of their birth," noted Snow. "But our ways are ours, and the way of Qohor, Qohor's."

Zor Alexi chuckled at this. "Well, whether you or your city, you have my gratitude."

"Speak not of it, Lord of the Silver Hall," said Belthus. "Does the Black Goat not teach us that the sufferer is our kin?" The three Qohorik bowed their heads. "Yea, I speak to you of a wonder and a glorious mystery," said Belthus. "There is a light shining in the deepest darkness."

"And the darkness has not overcome it," said Severa and Snow in unison. There was an eerie serenity to their faces as they said this, and it struck Chataya that for all the Qohorik looked nothing like the Valyrians, they did possess an inhuman beauty all their own. It was a thing of hard edges not ethereal delicacy, of stony severity, not fiery passion. But it existed, and it was their own.

The others were silent for a moment. "You Qohorik have a strange talent for making everything sound terrifying," noted Lok.

"The world is terrifying, Lok of Far Ib," said Severa.

"And also wonderful," said Belthus.

"That as well," agreed Severa, nodding. The three Qohorik smiled at that, dark eyes glittering. Severa and Belthus' were a dark brown that was almost black, while Snow's were an eerie grey.

Lok shook his head. "I've no head for gods and the like. No Ibbenese has. We had some once, but they were a nuisance, so we killed them. Life's been simpler since. Less bloody too."

Zor Alexi shrugged. "And we of Sarnor have too many. It's impossible to keep them all straight, and to take them seriously after a certain point." He looked at Zor Dmitri. "My apologies if I offend. I… I am probably not what you expected in a High Prince."

"Oh, you meet most of my expectations," said the older Sarnori. "But then… well, would you hear the tale of my line?" Alexi nodded at this. "It is nothing grand. They snuck us out during the siege. We went to Braavos. We were to live in hiding until the Dothraki were vanquished, and then rebuild Mardosh. But… well, that did not happen. The Dothraki vanquished us, and more of the Sarnori fled abroad. For those of Mardosh… we were cursed and blamed for inspiring the High King to ride to his ruin. And so we left Braavos, and settled in time here. And here we've stayed. The line of kings stretches unbroken to me."

"And to your son, afterwards," noted Alexi with some awe.

"Yes, him as well," said Dmitri. "Oh, you should see him, Pearl Beyond Price. So brave, so clever, with eyes green as the sea." He sighed. "But… he could not be here." The man bit his lip, and looked at Alexi. "Still, I am here. I will call you my Huzhor, should you let me, and I will follow you into battle, this last grand battle by which the Tall Men shall rise or fall. I can raise… oh, three hundred men, easily. Perhaps five hundred with good fortune. Not much… but enough."

Alexi seemed startled by this. "Zor Dmitri, I… it will be a hard battle and I cannot say…"

"I know I am old," said Dmitri, "but I am still hardy, still strong. I swing my sword as well as any man, as not only are fellow Tall Men, but the Ibbense and Qohorik who dwell here can tell you from when we have banded together to keep the mobs from destroying us. The last time was only a few years ago." He looked at Alexi imploringly. "And I know we may lose, and that I may die. I do not care. The battle… the battle is all. Let me go to this battle…"

"What does your son say to this?" asked Lok suddenly.

Dmitri was quiet for a moment. "He… he is proud of his father, he…"

Lok nodded. "Ahh. I thought so." He took a deep breath. "As incredible as it may seem to you, I am married, and happily, to a woman who I hold beautiful. We had a daughter, a lovely child in my eyes. And one day, my dear little girl went swimming, and she drowned." He looked on Dmitri with sympathy. "For a long time, my wife and I would speak of her as if she were alive. It… helped the pain. So, I ask you, Zor Dmitri, without malice or rancor… how did your son die?"

Dmitri's face fell and he was silent for a long time. At last he spoke, his eyes, filled with tears. "He went to the tallest tower in this city, and he jumped." The man began to sob. "My beautiful, beautiful boy, my heir with his eyes like the sea, he died like that, a twisted mangled thing, oh Aloshya, Aloshya,..." He lowered his head to the table, weeping. Severa placed a calming hand on his back as he wept.

After a moment, Dmitri composed himself to speak again. "Some say it was for a woman, and others, debts, but… before it happened, he spoke to me. He asked me… he asked me if I ever wondered if there was any point to our people having escaped Mardosh. If we all had done since then was simply… exist." His face was grave. "I sputtered out an inadequate answer, some foolish thing I cannot even recall and he… he went and he ended himself." He stared Alexi in the face. "Despair killed my son. It is killing me. It is killing all of us here. And that is why I must do this. I must be there. Let me down one foe, strike one blow, lead a charge though I end it dead with an arrow in my throat. I must do this because otherwise… otherwise, what has it all been for? What did we leave Mardosh for but this? What say you, Friend to the Supplicant and Staff to the Needy? What say you, Thread Which Does Not Diminish and He Who Is?"

Alexi was silent for a while, and then he raised his glass. "To the city unconquered, even in defeat." The others around the table joined him in the toast, as did a few others about, including Ilya and her uncle. Dmitri nodded as he raised his glass, a sad smile on his face. He put it to his lips and gulped down his drink again, all in one swallow.

Mardosh is the city that largely committed suicide over surrendering like the Numantians and the Zealots at Masada right? Even the Dothraki chose not to forget it in naming Mardosh's ruins Vaes Gorqoyi "the city of the Blood Charge". Will be something else entirely though, to see the Mardoshi legacy as not just the ghosts of a mythologized past but as legends now in the flesh, marching against Khalasars that have already been through hell.

Mardosh is the city that largely committed suicide over surrendering like the Numantians and the Zealots at Masada right? Even the Dothraki chose not to forget it in naming Mardosh's ruins Vaes Gorqoyi "the city of the Blood Charge". Will be something else entirely though, to see the Mardoshi legacy as not just the ghosts of a mythologized past but as legends now in the flesh, marching against Khalasars that have already been through hell.

That's the one.

Also, while I'm not certain about the words to the song involving Belthus Byet's deed of little note, the tune is something like this...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVc-JtoGrno

I could think of six knights who deserved old Gwayne Gaunt's place more than you, and that is without much effort. Give me time, and the list might stretch to sixty.

"In truth, brother, it was losing to Ser Oswell that hurt. I ranted about it, to Ser Harlan. I was a finer blade than him, a finer rider, a better commander. Ser Harlan told me that the Kingsguard had many fine blades, fine riders and good commanders. What was needed to fill Gwayne Gaunt's seat was a man who knew how to obey."

Was Ser Alliser Throne one of those six knights that Garth Tyrell thought should have gotten a White Cloak instead of Oswell Whent?

None of King Aerys's Kingsguard were ever anything but honourless oathbreaking thugs. They took the easy route and betrayed their oaths to their gods in the name of oaths sworn to an absolute monster.

Davos
DAVOS

The skies were fair and the seas were calm as they sailed past Dragonstone. As fine a beginning to a voyage as I've ever had, Davos thought, his hand going to his luck. He wondered how Marya was faring in her trip south with the Queen on the Kingsroad, and then shook his head. A smuggler and a carpenter's daughter, serving as companions to the great. What a world.

He heard the clatter of a cane approaching him, and turned to see Lord Chelsted walking towards him, dressed in his usual finery. Rys wore a great green robe covered with a deep blue cloak to keep the seawater off him. "Deep in thought, Lord Seaworth?" said the Master of Coin.

Davos nodded. "I suppose I am, Lord Chelsted," he replied. "I must say, I'm surprised to see you about…" Rys had joined him in his journey to the Last Lonely House along with Septon Balerion, supposedly to make certain that neither he nor the Keeper of the Great Seal offered the Saans more than the Throne could afford. Davos suspected it was as much to see the place as that.

"As astonishing as it may sound, I do try to keep my legs exercised," said Rys. Davos found his eyes darting down, trying to catch a hint of the man's legs beneath the robe, and immediately chided himself for it. As if I do not know what that feels like, he thought, clenching his left hand in its glove.

"That must be difficult," said Davos.

"Exceedingly," replied Rys, with the hint of a smile. "My walking, Lord Seaworth, requires three things of me. Persistence, practice, and pain." He chuckled. "Oh, quite a bit of the last one, at times."

Davos nodded. "You are a remarkable man, Lord Chelsted."

"Am I?" said Rys. "There are hundreds… perhaps even thousands of babes born with feet as crooked and ill-suited as mine. That I walk and many of them don't is not down to any special virtue of mine. It is down to my being born the child of a wealthy lord who spent time and coin that he possessed making sure his son could walk." The man's face grew grave. "How often I think on that. How often I wonder how many voices are silenced, minds made dull, lives ended before their time due to the accidents of birth." He turned to Davos, his face animated. "You know, I once asked my mother about that, when I was younger. She was in one of her more devout moods, and proclaimed to me that the world was precisely as the Seven wished it. I told her if this was the world the Gods had made, then I would endeavor very hard to find better Gods." He chuckled at that. "She was not pleased with me. Had me go to the sept and say ever so many prayers."

Davos nodded at that, trying to think of something to say. "A religious woman, then?"

"Very," said Rys dryly. "Though I must add that she is more constant to the general idea of religion than any religion in particular. She is presently living in Pentos as a member of the Church of the Starry Wisdom there, under the name Sister Tulzscha. I wrote to her of father's death." Lord Chelsted shrugged. "She has not replied. Nor do I expect her to."

Davos nodded. "That is too bad."

"Oh, I do not know about that," said Rys. "When my eldest son was born, she sent me a horoscope for him. It was madness. And since then, I do not mention my children to her, when I write. Which is less and less often." His face stiffened. "My whole childhood I had men praying and chanting over me at her bidding, and then had her telling me it was my fault that my legs did not straighten because of this. So when I speak with bitterness about the faith and other such mystical knowledge… well, you know some of the source."

Davos considered this. "That sounds very much like you don't approve of the Keeper of the Seal," he said.

Rys frowned. "Let us just say I am suspicious of the man's interests and leave it at that. He seems to give good counsel, but then so did Varys and Rossart at first."

"I do not think he is another Rossart," said Davos. "Or another Spider, for that matter."

"No one thought Rossart or Varys were anything more than a lowly alchemist and a foreigner, both dragged in on the whims of a mad king," replied Rys. "Men of no standing, men who would be eager to serve, and easy to supplant should they prove bothersome. The men who thought that were themselves supplanted. I should know – my father was one of them." The Master of Coin turned and breathed in the salt air. A smile came to his face. "Ahh, smell that air. So clean and fresh. You'd never think we were crossing to one of the filthiest places in the world." He shook his head. "Lys…" He said the name as if it were a curse and scowled.

"You've been there before then?" asked Davos.

"On several occasions," said Rys. "I doubt I am as well-traveled as you, Lord Seaworth, but I've been to Pentos, all the Three Daughters, and once to Volantis." He shook his head. "Lys is the worst of those I've been to, save Volantis. And Volantis…. Well, I am all but sure it is the wickedest city west of Ashai."

Davos shook his head at that. "You've not been to New Gorash then."

Rys blinked. "I've not heard of New Gorash. But do tell me of it. Even the name sounds ghastly."

"It is," said Davos, with a nod. "A trade town on the coast of Sothoryos. The largest and oldest. Others come and go, but New Gorash remains. The Zmeis of Mantarys have spent their coin to keep the accursed thing going, and it has made them even richer. For nearly two centuries now, it's sat there on the coast, growing fat like a tick." He shuddered. "Well, I think you know what the trade towns of Sothoryos are like."

"I've heard a great deal," said Rys. "None of it good."

"All of it true," replied Davos. "Trust me. I saw enough of them when I sailed with the Blind Bastard. Most of them were all alike, and most of them… well, you never knew if they'd be there when you sailed for them, and you never knew if they'd stay there when you left. But not New Gorash. It sits there behind its stone walls, growing older and eviler." He recalled the place and shuddered.

Lord Chelsted nodded. "You will pardon me if I have no desire to ever visit the place."

"As I've no desire to ever go back," stated Davos, "I quite understand." He shook his head. "Every now and then I check to see if some misfortune has at last ended the miserable place. It never has."

Rys chuckled at that. "Well, one can always hope. I hoped for years something would happen to Aerys. Fell to my knees and wept for joy when it did." He shrugged. "Of course, as he had an order for my arrest and execution at that point, no one was surprised." Rys glanced out at the vessels around them, the strange pale flags of the Saan arms flapping from the masts. "Do you trust our… escort?"

Davos considered that and chuckled. "Salladhor is… well, I wouldn't call him an honest sort, but I'd call him a sensible one. He avoids out and out treachery. It doesn't pay, he always says. And he seems to feel quite deeply about being Master of the Last Lonely House."

Rys nodded at that. "I wonder what it will be like?" He glanced at Davos. "I have nearly no expectations, mind you. In my experience that is your best bet with the Lysene. Oh, the great mansions that I was promised which turned out to be decaying wrecks. The Old Blood in Volantis are somewhat better off, though there everything is too big, and too gloomy. A hundred Dragonstones in miniature." He shook his head.

"Salladhor calls it a marvel," noted Davos.

"Every noble in Lys insists their house is a marvel," replied Rys. "Or was, when they had the funds, and, hmmm, could they kindly bother you for a loan. Lucerys got himself one of his mistresses that way, though as I understand it, he never got around to giving her father the loan. Understandable. He had his own crumbling house to avoid paying for." He glanced at Davos. "When you finally get to see Driftmark, prepare to be disappointed. There was a good reason the Sea Snake decided to just build himself a new castle, and I'm afraid his descendents haven't been keeping up the repairs on the old one after High Tide was destroyed."

Davos nodded nervously at that. I've forgotten that I now own a castle. Even if it is apparently not much of a castle. "You've seen it then?"

Chelsted made his way to a nearby bench, and sat down. "Once. Lord Lucerys was trying to get more money from the Treasury. For his duties, he said, Most likely wanted a new mistress. He and his present one were quarreling at the time I gathered. He invited my father and I to discuss it. Father begged it off, and sent me. And so I went to Driftmark and had the man beg for money while pretending he was trying to serve the Throne. Lucerys had a girl I am almost certain was his bastard daughter hang around me to try and soften me up. From the mistress previous to the one he was presently quarreling with, I suspect. The mistress pointedly ignored her existence the entire time. Made dinners awkward."

Davos sat down next to the lord. "What was the girl like?"

"Pleasant enough for a twelve-year old," said Rys flatly. "My father always thought Lucerys was grooming her to be Rhaegar's mistress. Or possibly Aerys' if he ever went back to his old ways. I suspect he was quite disappointed when it didn't work out." He glanced at Davos. "Have you ever been to the island?"

"A few times," said Davos. "During the Defiance, I smuggled supplies into Duskendale. Fish, water and wine came from Driftmark. I never saw the castle though. Never stayed long enough to. Came in by night, left that same night, every night."

"You were not missing much," sighed Rys. "Mmm, smuggled for Lord Denys then?"

"Up until he seized the king," said Davos. "As a smuggler I took risks, but never mad risks."

"Who was paying you, may I ask?" said Rys. "I know it wasn't Lord Darklyn."

"Oh, some alliance of Free City merchants," said Davos. "Based in Myr, I believe, but there were some Tyroshi and Pentoshi. Wanted to break their rivals' hold on the Seven Kingdoms, or so I was told."

"Interesting," said Rys. "I don't know if this makes me dismiss my father's suspicions on the matter or believe them…"

Davos blinked at this. "What were those?"

"Oh, nothing definite," Rys replied. "He was fond of noting how strange it was how the lord of struggling port city managed to produce enough funds to pay a small army. And how Lord Tywin spent an awfully long time in conversation with a man who he insisted he dismissed out of hand. But no proof, and my father was seeing enemies everywhere after the Defiance. Not without cause. He even suspected Prince Rhaegar…" Rys shook his head. "Well, it doesn't matter. They reconciled, prior to the Trident. Had many long talks together. After the first one, my father said to me, 'I have misjudged him. I have greatly misjudged him'." The man gave a long sigh. "And a few weeks after he said that to me, they were both dead, and I was hiding in the vaults, and sneaking food from the kitchens." There was a spray of water on the deck as the ship turned and Rys and Davos bundled themselves up to keep themselves dry. Dragonstone was back in view, even if it was farther now. "My goodness," said Rys. "It does loom, doesn't it?"

"That's what it was built for," replied Davos. "Or so I've been told. By Salla, and the Blind Bastard, and others. Built by the Freehold to show their power stretched this far."

Rys frowned at that. "Sounds like the Valyrians all right," he snarled. He turned to look at Davos. "Have I ever told you about my name?"

Davos felt uneasy at this. "You were… named for the king, I always assumed."

Rys nodded. "Oh, yes. Mind you, he was the crown prince and heir when I was born, but… well, Jaehaerys was fading fast. Everyone knew in a month or a year, he'd be the king. And my father, who'd fast become one of his intimates, swore to Aerys that if his newborn child was a son he'd name the boy after his dear, dear friend. And then I came out." Rys shrugged. "Well, father was somewhat nervous, for he wasn't sure what to do. After all, if he didn't name me after Aerys, then Aerys might be offended. But if he did, Aerys might also be offended to have a cripple named for him. And so as he sat there, musing on what to do, the prince arrived. He'd heard of the birth and he just had to see me. Came asking for little Aerys. Well, my father knew that sometimes one simply has to grasp the nettle, and took the prince to his newborn babe. And Aerys… well, he took one look at me, and he was delighted. 'Why, look,' he said, laughing, 'it is Aerys the Frog!'." The man's face was grave. "I can still hear that, and him laughing. I know it is folly, know that it is impossible that I truly remember it, but damn me, every time I tell the tale, I hear him say it and I hear him laugh. And so my father fulfilled his promise, and named me for Aerys." Rys smiled bitterly. "Oh, and he was quite attentive, in my youth. He'd stop by for a visit, and ask to see Aerys the Frog, and I'd be brought to him, and he'd chuckle, and then he'd ask me to pull up my robes, so he could see my feet." He bit his lip. "Then he'd laugh some more, and then he'd ask me to hop for him. For I figured out how to do that before I managed walking, and he found it tremendously amusing. Oh, he'd laugh and laugh, to see me hop. And then he'd ask me to do it again. And I always did."

He took a deep, pained breath, then turned to Davos. "It stopped eventually. Aerys found other things to amuse himself, though when my father first brought me to court the king said how happy he was to have his little namesake Aerys the Frog near him. But then… well, I did not dress as strikingly as I do now. I wore dull colors and avoided conversation and avoided notice when I could. And it worked. I think he came to view me as… a piece of furniture that occasionally spoke. And then…" Rys shut his eyes. "Men think it was his madness that made Aerys what he was. But they are wrong. His madness… oh, it just made him talk to people who weren't there, talk nonsense, curl up into a ball and scream. He was harmless during a fit. His cruelty… that wasn't madness. It was him. He could hide it beneath a bad show of charm, but it always shone through, if you looked. And if he practiced it more as his fits got worse, it wasn't because the fits made him, it was because he wished to do what he enjoyed while he could, wanted to show people that he still was in control, still able to hurt them…" Rys shook his head. "That last time I saw him…"

"What happened?" asked Davos.

Rys chuckled. "Nothing much, in truth. I was doing my accounts when he strolled in, babbling to himself. I ignored him at first, and he ignored me, as he'd gotten quite used to doing. And then… then suddenly his fit ended, and he looked at me, and he recognized me and smiled. 'Why Aerys the Frog,' he said. 'It has been such a long time since I saw you hop, and here we are, just the two of us. Why don't you hop for me, frog? Hop for the king'."

There was a long and painful silence. "So what did you do?" asked Davos.

Rys smiled sadly. "What I had always done. I hitched up my robes, and then I hopped." He gave a bitter chuckle. "And then I hopped."

Last edited:
It's kinda funny that the Targaryen monarchy has ridden so hard on the poorer Crownlords as minor courtiers and highborn scribes set to the Iron Throne's grave orbit, that much of the absentee court nobility has come to identify as largely Kingslanders with a lot of the same positions as the guildmasters and tradesmen of KL of "fuck the great houses but also fuck the magistracies of the Free Cities".

It's kinda funny that the Targaryen monarchy has ridden so hard on the poorer Crownlords as minor courtiers and highborn scribes set to the Iron Throne's grave orbit, that much of the absentee court nobility has come to identify as largely Kingslanders with a lot of the same positions as the guildmasters and tradesmen of KL of "fuck the great houses but also fuck the magistracies of the Free Cities".

Rys Chelsted is the exception to the rule, though yes, there's definitely a faction of Crownlanders represented by him.

POSTSCRIPT--Remember, the Thornes are also Crownlanders, and well, they are clearly ride or die on the Targs.

Last edited:
Honestly these backstories and character studies are what make this fic so damn good.

Back