THE KING NOBODY WANTED--(ASOIAF AU)

THE KING NOBODY WANTED--(ASOIAF AU)
Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

A different outcome on the Trident sends the war between the Dragons and the Stags spinning in strange and terrifying directions, with great changes in the lives of those who live in Westeros... and beyond...
Last edited:
Prologue
PROLOGUE

It seemed to Ser Hugor Waters as he lay there, pinned beneath his horse, that the waters of the Trident beside him were running red.

I am tired. That is all. The waters I look on are no redder than any other waters. I am tired. That is all. His eyes went to the two figures lying near him. He had watched them come together, and watched them battle there, on the Trident, and he had watched them wound each other, and he had watched them fall. They had not moved since then. Prince Rhaegar had said a woman's name, shortly after he fell. Lord Robert had said nothing, but only given a wordless groan.

It seemed a great privilege, to a poor hedge knight, to have seen all this. Ser Hugor was not a knight of great standing. He was a simple man, the bastard son of a petty lord who lived in a petty holdfast, whose father had cared just enough to grant him training in arms and not a bit more. Still, it had brought him to this moment, and so Ser Hugor felt it was enough.

Ser Hugor realized he couldn't feel his legs. They have gone to sleep. They have been under the horse so long, that they have fallen to sleep, and I cannot feel them. That is all. He cursed his horse again. It was a skittish thing, unused to war, and had managed to slip as he rode it across the Trident. What a tale this will be. How I was beaten on the Trident by my very own horse. And how they will laugh to hear it.

"Robert?" came a voice. Ser Hugor watched as a man on horseback rode by. He tried to attract his notice, but the only noise he could make was a gasp so faint, even he could barely hear it. I am dazed. I am dazed, and my voice is not yet working as it should...

"Ned," groaned Lord Robert, stirring faintly. Ned rode to his side and dismounted. Robert attempted to raise himself, then fell back. He took a few unsteady breaths, then looked at his friend. "Ned... Did... did I kill him? Is Rhaegar... dead?"

Ned nodded, his expression pained. "Yes. Yes, you have killed Prince Rhaegar."

Ser Hugor felt a chill throughout his body. He had known that the Prince had been lying there, very still for quite some time, but even so, he had hoped that perhaps... perhaps the Prince lived. After all, I have been lying here for just as long, and I am not dead. But he was dead, and Hugor felt empty. Robert has killed Rhaegar, the hedge knight thought. I came here for him, and the Lord of Storm's End killed him, just the same, as if I wasn't here at all. And yet as he stared at the man, he realized that the Prince had killed Lord Robert, just as Lord Robert had killed the Prince.

Robert let out a strange and ghastly chuckle to Ned's news. "Good. Good." And then another long silence. "Got... what I wanted. Tell... tell... Lyanna... did it... for her. All... for... her..." And then his body simply... slackened, and he was silent.

So died Robert Baratheon, Lord Paramount of the Stormlands. I have seen a great and terrible thing, thought Ser Hugor, who realized that darkness was growing around the edges of his vision. Men will sing of this day. But they would not sing of him, he realized. I am dying. I am dying and no one will sing of me. What was there to sing of? He was a petty hedge knight, who came to fight by the Prince because...

Because at Harrenhal, when he bested me, he gave me back my armor and my horse, without asking me to pay a thing. And then he had a drink with me, and told me that I had run a good course, though I had not, I had not, and that was why he had beaten me...

That had been enough for Hugor, who had been staying out of the war, to come when he heard the Prince would be leading the army. It seemed almost foolish now... But that is enough. That is enough. I am dead. I am Ser Hugor Waters, who is dead, and this is my song, the song that no one will sing...

The darkness blotted out the rest of his vision, as he wondered what the tune would be.
-----------------------------
Something I've posted over at AH.com and fanfiction.net

I figure this might be a decent place for it as well, if nobody minds.

Last edited:
The Old Falcon
THE OLD FALCON

Jon Arryn stared at the dead bodies of the Prince and the Lord of Storm's End before him and suppressed an urge to swear. "Divided in life, united in death," he said at last.

Hoster Tully nodded. "It's almost poetic when you put it that way." He coughed. "Still... damned inconvenient." Jon shot his fellow Lord Paramount a reproachful look, to which Hoster politely bowed his head. "So... what now?" the Lord of Riverun asked.

"Ned is heading to Storm's End as we speak to break the siege and liberate Stannis," said Jon quietly. "Lord Stannis now. And from there... we shall see."

"The words 'Lord Stannis' did not readily leap to your lips, I noticed," said Hoster. "Let us hope the words 'King Stannis' find a more... wide acceptance in the near future." He sighed. "Otherwise, I fear we are in for some trouble."

Jon winced. "Hoster... do you have to chide me with things I know perfectly well..."

"Yes," answered the Lord of the Riverlands. "Both as your friend, and your goodfather. People joined this rebellion for Robert. We have to hope they'll stay in it for his memory." He shook his head. "I've just watched the... late Lord Frey pledge his support to our cause, then go white as a sheet when he learned Robert was dead. If he gets a good chance to unpledge himself, I think he might take it."

"And do what?" asked Jon. "Throw himself on Aerys' mercy? Robert's dead-and so is Rhaegar. At the moment, the only choices are between Stannis and Aerys' madness."

"They could crown Aegon..." began Hoster.

"A babe," said Jon forcefully. "A babe of whom the world knows almost nothing now, save he's Rhaegar's son and Aerys' grandson..."

"And they know so much more of Stannis?" stated Hoster.

"They know that he was loyal to his brother, and has kept Storm's End through a long siege," stated Jon. "It will be enough for now." Oh, please, by the Seven, let it be enough...

"Perhaps for those with us now it will be," said Hoster, with a nod. "But what of Dorne? And the Reach? And the Westerlands?" He leaned forward. "Tywin Lannister has sat through all this and done nothing-as yet. What if he decides to now? And what if he does not object to having a child on the throne? Especially if, for example, those around that child name him Hand?"

Jon shut his eyes, suddenly feeling very tired. I am an old man, who's buried family in this war. How long before I can rest? "If that is the case, Hoster, then we must hope we can beat him."

Last edited:
Jaime
JAIME

I am glad I will never sit on this again, Jaime Lannister thought to himself, sleepily. It is a damned uncomfortable seat... He glanced at the body, cooling on the ground of the throne room. And I am even gladder you will never sit on it again, Aerys. Have a pleasant time in the Hells. I hear there's a lot of fire there, so you should feel at home.

Jaime frowned to himself. He'd hoped at first, when the news of the Trident reached Aerys that it would calm him... and it had a little, at first. The mad old king spent his time chuckling about dead Lord Robert and dead Prince Rhaegar in downright sickening manner for a day or so... and then he'd gone on planning to set all of King's Landing aflame. Plans that seemed to quicken once it became obvious the rebels were still in the field. Jaime could still hear the King's rantings if he thought on it. "They will see! They will all see! They have woken the dragon, and the dragon shall show them blood and FIRE!"

He'd been both relieved and terrified when his father arrived. And when the Sack began... he'd known what he must do.

He cracked his eyes open and glanced at Aerys' corpse. And he had most certainly done it...

"Jaime," came his father's voice. "What are you doing?"

Jaime blinked and saw him standing there, in the doorway of the throne room. Lord Tywin, tall and imposing, eyes watching Jaime with naked disapproval. "I'm... I'm sorry, father," he said, standing up. "I... I was... tired."

Tywin gave a slow nod, a frown appearing on his face that indicated that he personally didn't hold with being tired. "You are fortunate, Jaime, that only I witnessed this. What you have done here is... noteworthy enough without adding flourishes like this to it."

Jaime nodded as he approached his father's side. "Yes. Yes. I understand. Yes." He coughed. "So... what do we do now? Are..."

"You will do nothing," stated Tywin flatly. "Stay in your quarters. Appear... contrite. Call a septon to talk to, if you feel a need for it. As for me-I have already sent messengers to Lord Arryn with an initial offer. I hope to have his reply before their forces arrive here. I suspect they will prove... agreeable. Their new Stag King is still sitting in Storm's End, eating rats if the reports are true. They will need every bit of help in bringing him to the Iron Throne, and I think they will appreciate our... clearing the way for him."

Jaime felt a certain sick feeling in his stomach at his father's comments. "Father... what do you mean...?"

Tywin regarded his son coldly. "What do you imagine I mean?"

That sick feeling grew into outright nausea. "Father... father... what... what have you done?" asked Jaime.

Jaime Lannister thought he saw the slightest of smiles come to Tywin's face, though he could not be sure. "What had to be done," answered the Lord of Casterly Rock, in a voice that was as hard and cold as the castle he ruled over.

Eddard
EDDARD

Eddard did his best not to look around him as he walked to Stannis' tent. The ground still stank of blood, rot, and burnt bodies. All this butchery, and for what? he thought to himself. I was going to offer them terms...

And perhaps Mace Tyrell would have listened to him, if he'd been able to-but by the time Eddard arrived the Lord of Highgarden was in the middle of an effort to storm Storm's End. Ned had listened to his prisoner Mathis Rowan tell the tale, of his lord hearing the news of Robert's death, of the lengthy debate that followed that, and of Mace's decision to chance it all on one swift action. Lord Tyrell had hoped to win immortality by ending the war in a single stroke, in a battle that singers would write songs of for centuries to come.

Eddard Stark did not consider himself an expert on singers and their songs, but he didn't think that men would sing much on the Storming of Storm's End, and that if they did, it would be to castigate the folly, vanity, and ineptitude of one man. Mace Tyrell's soldiers had battered at the walls three times and been repulsed each time, with ever greater casualties. The men of the Reach were in the middle of their fourth attempt when Eddard arrived with his army. He'd had no choice in the matter-he'd had to attack. Despite their exhaustion, and Mace's incompetent generalship, Tyrell's men had fought well-the battle had been nearer than Eddard would have liked. And then Stannis had issued forth from Storm's End.

Stannis and his men were starving and tired, but they fought with a vicious fury despite all that-perhaps because of that. And that had been enough to turn the tide. The great army of the Reach that had besieged Storm's End for months was finished. As far as Eddard could see, the only immortality Mace Tyrell had won was that his Seven Gods offered to all their loyal followers, if their septons told the truth. The Lord of the Reach had fallen from his horse, and been hacked to death by a crowd of Stannis' men. The body's wounds had been grievous-it had looked to Eddard as if beasts had savaged it.

This war is making wildlings of us all, Eddard thought, as he entered the great tent. Stannis Baratheon sat in the darkness of it, the tent that had previously been Mace Tyrell's. A cursory glance showed that quite a few Tyrell roses in the decorations had been torn or despoiled. A small meal had been set before Stannis-it'd been barely touched, despite the obvious hunger of the man. But perhaps it is not food he's hungry for, Eddard thought, then chided himself for being so impressionable.

Stannis' lifted his icy blue eyes as Eddard stepped forward. "Lord Stark," he stated flatly.

"Lord Baratheon..." began Eddard.

Stannis shut his eyes. "So it is true then. Robert is dead."

"Yes," said Eddard quietly. "I... I was with him when he... passed... He..." Eddard took a deep breath. "He was like a brother to me, and..."

Stannis seemed completely unmoved. "He was a brother to me," he said calmly. "I see little reason to talk of his passing, Stark. He is dead. We live, and must deal with the world my brother has made..." The frown on the Lord of the Stormlands' face was unmistakable. "Lord Redwyne wishes to parley. I wish you and some of your commanders to be with me when he does so. I fear I have few men fit to meet an emissary at the moment."

Eddard nodded. "Jon Arryn sent me to offer terms..."

"Jon Arryn will not be king," stated Stannis. "I will decide the terms to Highgarden. Not he. Is this clear?"

Eddard stiffened slightly. "I believe it is, Lord Baratheon." He gave a slight nod. "I will go gather my commanders." Eddard turned to leave.

"Lord Stark." Eddard glanced back at Stannis. "You have my gratitude for what you have done here today. Had you not come, I might be imprisoned. Or dead."

"It was done for memory of your brother, sir," said Eddard simply.

Stannis gave a curt nod. "I suspected as much. Still, you have my thanks."

Eddard left the tent, passing a short man with brown hair who was heading towards it. His mind had, he realized, played out many first meetings with Lord Stannis. None of them had gone like that.

He found that... worrying.

The She-Wolf
THE SHE WOLF

Her dreams were of ice and fire.

A winter rose bloomed on a stony shore. A direwolf shuddered under a giant to protect her cub. Seas ran red, then black. King's Landing was on fire, and yet a great glacier stood in its center, apparently untouched. "They will take what is yours! What is ours!" roared the flames. "Will you let them?" A strange groan came from the glacier. "Let them have no shelter, no rest, no place to lay their heads!" A crack appeared in the glacier. A large chunk of ice split off, falling into the flames. And suddenly, she was there, surrounded by the fire, as that huge cold thing moved towards her. She ran, and it did not fall on her, but the ice shattered, and now there were a hundred thousand shards flying through the air, sharp and deadly...

Lyanna Stark awoke, and looked about her. There was no fire raging about her, no ice threatening her life. She was still in the Tower of Joy, lying on her small bed, its sheets stained with sweat and blood. "You're finally up, milady," came a quiet voice. Lyanna turned to see the Kingsguard member standing quietly in the corner.

"Ser Arthur." Lyanna took a deep breath, and shut her eyes. She still felt tired and drained. "What... what has..."

"You had a... difficult birth, milady," said Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of Morning.

Lyanna's eyes jolted open. "My... what has happened to my..."

The Sword of Morning smiled gently. "Relax. Your son is fine and healthy..."

Lyanna gave a quick nod. "Give him to me," she said. "Please..."

Arthur Dayne nodded and left the room. Lyanna leaned back, trying to capture a bit of rest. How much time had passed? What had happened? She needed to know... The Kingsguard knight returned with a small woman who Lyanna didn't recognize who held a child tightly to her breast. "You were... feverish, milady," said Arthur quietly. "We... brought a nurse in case..."

"I understand," said Lyanna quietly. She motioned for the child. "Let... let me see him." And then her child was in her arms, small and precious and frail, and for just one bare moment, the unreasonable feeling sprouted in Lyanna's heart that it had all been worth it, even though she knew that to be false. "I... I must know how things stand. Has... the crown won or..." Tell me who I must mourn, Ser Arthur. I have to know what I've paid for all this.

"It... is hard to say," muttered Arthur. "Much remains... in the balance. Prince Rhaegar and Robert Baratheon met in battle on the Trident." He bit his lip, and Lyanna felt a sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach. "They..."

Lyanna felt her son squirm uncomfortably. "Prince Rhaegar has... fallen, hasn't he?"

"Both he and Lord Robert perished in the battle, facing each other," said Arthur. "Since then things have been... unsettled... For the realm, and I fear you and your child personally. Ser Oswell and the Lord Commander are... considering our options." There was an uncomfortable silence. "Milady, I wish things could be otherwise. If... If Rhaegar hadn't died..."

"But Rhaegar lived, Ser Arthur," said Lyanna. He stared at her, puzzled, until she kissed her son on the forehead. "My son. Little Rhaegar Targaryen..." She held the child close to her, as if he were buoy on a stormy ocean.

The Old Falcon
THE OLD FALCON

Jon Arryn was doing his best to study the dispatches before him when Kevan Lannister entered the chamber of the Small Council which had become the unofficial headquarters for the allies in King's Landing. "My apologies," said the younger man. "I've had much to deal with..."

Hoster Tully idly sipped his wine. "So have we all." The Lord of Riverrun set down his cup. "How is your elder brother?"

Kevan managed a pleasant smile as he took his seat. "He tells me that the way to Bronzegate has been safe and easy. He and my niece should be there with their retinue within a fortnight."

Jon nodded. He was of mixed mind about Tywin's decision to simply... absent himself from King's Landing. On the one hand, it was a rather disquieting sign of the Lord of the Westerlands' famed pride-on the other hand, his younger brother was far easier to deal with. And besides, we are mostly... waiting here, setting things in place for young Stannis' coming. You cannot blame a father for wishing to leave this behind to see his only daughter wedded.

At least that was Jon kept telling himself, even as a part of him did just that.

"Still no news of Gregor Clegane?" asked Hoster quietly.

"We've had reports of him in Duskendale, in Crackclaw- even in the Saltpans," replied Kevan. "But nothing more definite."

"Astounding that a man so large could vanish so completely," noted Hoster.

"Ser Gregor is a large man, but the world is bigger," stated Kevan levelly. "Even he can hide in it." He gave his golden head a shake. "We want him as badly as you do. He killed three men who we sent to apprehend him, and wounded five more in his escape."

"No one has stated otherwise," said Jon doing his best to sound pleasant and convinced of House Lannister's relative innocence in this matter. Personally, he had his doubts. When Stannis had sent his wishes regarding the killers of Elia Martell and the young Prince and Princess, those two names that had been circulating as rumors had suddenly, remarkably leapt up as fact. Ser Amory Lorch had been found stabbed to death in an alley, to the sorrow of none, while Ser Gregor Clegane had bloodily gone on the run. It was all just a tad too convenient, the manner in which the pair had each, in their own way, been silenced.

"Perhaps my own failure makes me... tense on the subject," said Kevan, green eyes gleaming with what Jon thought was either anger or remorse. "Any word from Highgarden?"

"A few... empty missives," muttered Hoster. "They have received Stannis' terms, and are... considering them. They are stricken with grief by all this bloodshed. They are..."

"...having Randyll Tarly beat us back at Bitterbridge," said Kevan. "I think there is their answer to Stannis' terms. Not that I fault them for it."

"They are not so onerous," stated Jon Arryn, trying his best to smother his feelings that they were far more onerous than the terms he had intended to offer, and indeed than any terms he would offer. "Lord Baratheon is young, and somewhat prickly, I hear."

"Somewhat prickly we have seen," noted Hoster with a snort.

Jon simply ignored Lord Tully's comment. "And that long siege... They say Mace feasted before the walls, the silly fool. Stannis' blood will be running hot now. But it will cool in time, and we can get him to see sense."He shook his head. "Besides, the Reach can hardly stand alone."

"It may not be alone," said Hoster. "Dorne's been quiet as well, and something tells me their blood is also running hot at the moment." He folded his hands before him. "Elia was well-beloved there."

"It was a sack," muttered Kevan, looking away. "Men were on edge-drunk on killing. They had orders to avoid such... mad slaughter, but when you go to war... sometimes the curs that go with you..."

"Regret changes nothing. The lady is still dead, Ser Kevan," noted Hoster with a sigh. "And the rumors of Dragonstone..." He shook his head. "When we came to King's Landing, I thought this war all but won, barring an extraordinary mishap. Now..." He shrugged.

"I would hardly say we are in a bad spot," said Jon.

"No, but I fear there's a long, hard slog ahead of us," answered Hoster. "And in truth I cannot stay here much longer-I need to get back to Riverrun. The Blackwoods and the Brackens have started to get quarrelsome, my goodbrother Lord Whent wants his sons' bones brought back to him... And there are a thousand other things to do. The Riverlands do not run themselves, gentlemen."

Kevan Lannister regarded the older man. "And your troops?"

"I'll leave most of them here under Brynden," said Hoster. A sudden frown touched his face. "He enjoys playing the soldier, so you'll hear no complaint from him." The acid in Lord Tully's voice suggested they'd hear no complaint from the Lord of the Riverlands' either.

"Well, if you must, we cannot keep you from your duty. We'll miss your guidance," said Jon. It occurred to him this war seemed to be leaving him lonelier the longer it went on. So many good friends, either dead or away, he thought. And a few now enemies. He felt very old and tired, all at once.

The Foul-Smelling Flower
THE FOUL-SMELLING FLOWER

Garth Tyrell waddled through the halls of Highgarden, and listened to the cries of a babe echoing down them. He briefly wondered if it were his grandniece, or their... youngest guest. I suppose it doesn't matter. Both the poor dears have so much to cry about. And I doubt they even realize it, yet. Reaching the solar, he was unsurprised to see his sister-in-law leafing through the letters. "A few more for you," he stated, and then followed it with a belch. I must watch my meals, he reminded himself, with the slightly sad realization that of course he would not.

Olenna Tyrell, the Dowager Lady of Highgarden known to most around her as the Queen of Thorns, picked them up deftly and opened them. "Hmmmph. Lord Florent is pledging his loyalty and undying support in this..." She cleared her throat. "...'Most difficult time'."

"Oh, dear," said Garth. "That does sound ominous." He coughed, and attempted to control a burst of flatulence he felt coming on. "I suppose you want me to... keep an eye on the Brightwater?"

"As if it were filled with poachers," she muttered. "Which is not far from the truth." She shook her head. "Tell me, do the Seven hand every Florent a large dose of foolish ambition to go with those awful ears of theirs, or is it simply the ones I've met?" She wrinkled her nose. "Garth... really."

"I overindulged in some Dornish peppers earlier," he muttered apologetically. He cleared his throat and got to work changing the subject. "Lord Tarly seems hopeful..."

"Lord Tarly seems eager to write his name in history's book in bright bloody red letters," said Olenna. "Still, he has the ability to do it. Something poor, silly Mace lacked." She frowned to herself. "Has... has the body been taken care of?"

Garth nodded. "He rests with his fathers now."

"One hopes that they are giving him a piece of their minds," muttered Olenna. She shook her head. "Such folly, Garth! Such bloody, stupid folly! And that silly nephew of mine... making it worse... saddling us with..."

"You could always agree to Baratheon's terms," stated Garth quietly.

Olenna nodded. "I could. Highgarden bends the knee. Highgarden pays a tribute. My grandchildren go to King's Landing as... guarantors of the peace. As well, other... matters." The scowl on the Queen of Thorns face only grew deeper. "And my dear young Willas starts his reign with every lord in the Reach seeing him as not only a child but a weakling, ruled by a king with no love for his house..." She sighed. "Garth, I fear we may be good and buggered in the long run. But I think we might be able to keep the buggery to a minimum with some careful effort on our parts."

Garth chuckled as he considered his reply, when he heard the sound of small feet behind him. Turning around, he saw the small form of Highgarden's most honored guest.

"Your Grace," he said with a sweeping bow directed at young Viserys Targaryen. "I thought you were in bed."

The boy fixed Garth and Olenna with a gaze that Garth found... unsettling. "I couldn't sleep." He looked at the pair for a long moment. "Father says that our subjects are either traitors or loyal. Which are you?"

"Why loyal, Your Grace," said Garth. "Deeply and unfailingly loyal." As he said it, Garth Tyrell wondered how long that would be the case.

Cersei
CERSEI

Cersei Lannister stood tall and proud next to her father in the great pavilion that had been laid before Bronzegate. Both and she and Lord Tywin were clad in the crimson and gold of their house, wearing the most opulent clothing they possessed. She took a deep breath, to calm her fluttering stomach. You are a lion, and the lion does not show fear before lesser beasts, she reminded herself, glancing at her father. Tywin Lannister stood still like a magnificent statue, the banner of House Lannister spread over him. If he felt any discomfort standing here, he didn't show it. Cersei turned her eyes back to the banners of Stannis and his supporters, and tried to name them. Some were easy to recognize, like the stag of Baratheon, or the dire wolf of Stark, others took some effort, like the lizard-lion of House Reed, or the lightning bolt of Dondarrion but many were strange to her. I will have to learn them all, she thought, as she puzzled over a very odd one-a black ship with what appeared to be an onion on its sails. It would look very ill for a queen not to know her subjects banners...

She wished Jaime were here. She had not seen him for months now. Cersei had hoped to join him at King's Landing, for a brief reunion, but father had insisted she rush to him on the road to Bronzegate. Her heart bled for her brother-all alone in King's Landing, with no friends around him, surrounded by a thousand accusing eyes. I wish I were there right now, to put my arms around him, and tell him that everything is all right, that he will always have me...

But that would be a lie-a sweet lie, but a lie nonetheless. Her father was wedding her to Stannis Baratheon, to save her house, and her brother. "He is a young man with ideas," Tywin Lannister had said to her, as they rode to Bronzegate, "but a young man nonetheless. And the favor of young men is easily won by beauty and the minds of young men easily distracted from grand ideas. Bewitch him. Win his affection, and make him more... agreeable." His eyes had fixed on hers as he said this. "You can do this, my dear?"

Cersei gulped. It is for Jaime's sake. Jaime killed the old king, that awful old man, and now... now they are calling for his head. I must wed Stannis to save his life. She felt a chill and wished her soon-to-be-betrothed would hurry up and show himself. It was uncomfortable standing here in this miserable weather.

As if in response to her wish, a crowd made its way from that small sea of banners. A large man with an antlered helmet stood at its head, clad in black and gold. That had to be Stannis. As he got closer, Cersei got her first look at her husband-to-be. Stannis was tall, and looked strong, but his face was thin and jagged and pinched looking, with a large jaw and hollow cheeks. Cersei suppressed a frown-not an ugly man, exactly, but not a handsome one either. It is for Jaime's sake-Jaime and the Lannisters. I-I will be queen. Somehow, she couldn't make herself believe the last part.

Tywin took her hand, and then swiftly knelt before Stannis. Cersei followed her father's example, doing her best to follow her father's advice. Smile at him. Look at him softly and tenderly, all full of sweetness. "Your Grace," declared Tywin grandly, his face a hard mask that gave away nothing, "I come here to pledge my leal fealty. With me is my daughter, who has fallen in love with you from afar from the mere hearing of your great valor and nobility, and for whom I humbly ask the honor of being granted your hand in marriage."

To her surprise, Stannis did not look at her, and instead kept his eyes fixed on her father. "Why do you kneel, Lord Lannister? You are Lord Paramount of the Westerlands, and I am Lord Paramount of the Stormlands. We meet here as equals." Stannis' voice was hard and rough. He sounds like an old man, thought Cersei, who couldn't help but remember Prince Rhaegar's lovely voice singing, or even the fair sound of her sweet Jaime's laughter.

"Can the Seven Kingdoms go without a king?" asked Tywin, his voice ringing in the pavilion. "I say they cannot. And that being the case... what other king can there be but you?"

Stannis frowned at that. "There are Targaryens yet alive," he noted. "What of them? I cannot claim the Iron Throne by mere whim. To do so would be mad folly."

"Your Grace's natural humility and care for the laws do you great credit," said another voice. Cersei looked to the side to see Grand Maester Pycelle tottering his way from her father's retinue. "But I must say they are unwarranted in this case. You, Stannis Baratheon, are the lawful and most apparent King of these Seven Kingdoms, by simple and well-practiced precedent." Cersei blinked. She had wondered why the Grand Maester had come with them from King's Landing. Somehow, finding out why was proving... disquieting. As Pycelle tottered to the center of the great green, Cersei felt her leg twitch in discomfort. Not now, she thought, doing her best to keep her movements subtle and a smile on her face.

The Grand Maester cleared his throat, and unrolled a large scroll. "Now then, Your Grace, your accession is based on the same sound principles as that of your great-grandfather, Aegon V. When your most honored ancestor took the throne, it was based on the decision of the Grand Council of the Realm. Aegon was the youngest of his father's four sons, though the two eldest had predeceased him. His third brother had taken the vows of my order, which were felt to be enough to remove him from the succession. However, both Prince Daeron-his eldest brother-and Prince Aerion-his second eldest-had left issue."

Shut up, old man, thought Cersei, hoping against hope that Pycelle would stop talking soon. She did not see how any of this concerned what was happening now. Aerion... Prince Aerion... where have I heard that name? She tried to remember, but could not. The twitch in her leg was becoming an irritating ache, and her knees were starting to throb. She looked at her father, but aside from a slight downward twitch of his mouth, he seemed utterly unmoved. Stannis likewise stood stiff as a statue, frowning, though Cersei saw much of his retinue twitching, and at least one yawning. Lucky man...

"Now," continued Pycelle, manifestly warming to his subject, "Daeron's child was a daughter and thus, by long-established precedent, behind Aegon by the normal principles of succession. However, Aerion had left a son, Maegor." Cersei blinked. That seemed odd to her somehow... and then the name Aerion leapt to the forefront of his mind. The Prince Who Thought He Was A Dragon, the one who died drinking wildfire... "Despite young Maegor's excellent claim," continued Pycelle, "the combination of his own extreme youth, and his late father's known instability lead the Council to exclude him from the succession." The Maester nodded at Stannis. "Your Grace, this renders the situation as clear as the sun in the sky on a bright and cloudless day. With the deaths of Prince Rhaegar and your most worthy brother Robert, you are the oldest and closest male heir in the line of descent not bound by oath from the throne. Aerys' surviving children-like Prince Maegor-are both far too young to assume a true and proper rule, and, again like Prince Maegor, bear the stain of a father with a mind to unruly for the Iron Throne as, alas, these Seven Kingdoms have discovered to their sorrow."

Finally. Cersei prepared to rise only to feel her father's grip tighten on her arm. "And yet, Grand Maester," said Stannis, "I was unaware that there had been a Grand Council on this matter."

"Your Grace," said Pycelle with a merry laugh, "what is this present war but a Grand Council by the sword?" He turned around regarding the various lords assembled. "Aerys by breaking the oaths of his own coronation, forced action on the Lords Paramount. Had the ways of peace been open, I am certain they would have taken-but Aerys closed them off as well, and thus created this present tumult which stands for a Grand Council just as a trial by combat stands for a trial by other means." He turned once again to Stannis and smiled a pleasant and grandfatherly smile. "And so, Your Grace, fear not to accept those honors and titles that are your lawful due. You, and no other, are our king."

Stannis nodded at this, though it seemed to Cersei his frown had not lightened in the least, and in fact had grown quite severe at several points in Pycelle's recitation. "Very well. This being so, I, Stannis Baratheon, do formally proclaim myself King of the Andals, the Rhoynar, and the First Men, Ruler of the Seven Kingdoms, and Protector of the Realm, in the name of the old gods and the new."

"Long may you reign," came a solitary voice from his followers. And then, slowly, gradually, applause began and then cheers. Stannis' glanced at the noisy crowd with an undeniable sense of unease, raising his hand. He said something that Cersei couldn't make out over the noise, and then an "Enough" that she could. It seemed to Cersei the plaudits quieted far faster than they'd risen. Stannis turned to Tywin. "Rise, Lord Tywin, and know I accept your fealty, and your daughter's hand in equal measure."

"I thank Your Grace for this immeasurable honor," stated Tywin. Cersei took to her feet with great relief. Still, even if it was good to finally get the ache out, all that had been disquieting. Stannis' words were courtly, but his voice was tight and clipped, and the man himself... He is no Rhaegar, she thought. He is not even a Robert.

Stannis gave a formal, and exceedingly stiff bow. "Lord Buckler offers us the use of Bronzegate for the ceremony and the feast. Shall we enter together, Lord Tywin?"

"Once again, Your Grace honors me," said her father flatly. For a moment, Cersei felt a strange wish to run from all this, run far away, but her father's hand remained on her arm, and she was pulled quietly and firmly to the castle.

Last edited:
I'm going to be real honest here after reading through this on FFnet. I really like your Stannis/Cersei interactions, and I REALLY like what you've done with Garth the Gross. The man's awesome.

Eddard
EDDARD

Ned sat in the hall of Bronzegate as Lord Buckler's musicians played for the wedding feast. The Rains of Castamere, he thought as he recognized the tune. A bit grim for a wedding feast, but then this is rather grim for a wedding... Stannis-King Stannis-sat at the head of the table, his eyes fixed on the company. He barely touched the food set before him, and if his wineglass had ever been refilled during the course of the meal, Eddard hadn't seen it. The appetite of Stannis' young queen seemed just as slight, though Ned was willing to put that down to nerves. My lady wife ate just as little at our wedding, after all... He recalled that he had not seen Catelyn for many months. She has given me a son, he thought, and I barely know her.

As 'The Rains of Castamere' ended and 'The Bear and the Maiden Fair' began, William Dustin grabbed a large turkey leg off of Theo Wull's plate. "Hey!" snapped Theo.

"I claim this by right of my hunger," said Willam with a smile. "My hand has acted in place of a Grand Council."

Ethan Glover and Martyn Cassel both snickered at that, and even Wull burst into a smile. "Like I'd want anything you got your grubby mitts on," Theo muttered.

"That's not what sweet young Jeyne tells me," laughed Willam.

"Fuck you," muttered Theo.

"Indeed she has," said Willam, taking a great bite of his turkey leg.

As Mark Rysell shook his head, Ethan Glover looked at the King and Queen. "Suppose there'll be a bedding?"

"Hmm, I hope so," said Willam, leering at Cersei. "I've a wager with young Lord Lolliston on whether the Queen's tits are as fine as the Lady of Winterfell's."

Martyn glanced at his friend. "Who'd you wager on?"

"That you could ask that of me!" declared Willam, in mock offense. He placed a hand on Ned's shoulder. "Such is my friendship with you, sweet Ned, that I have wagered a silver stag on your wife's breasts being finer than our new Queen's." Willam leaned back and stroked his chin. "Which does suggest a rather surprising lack of loyalty on young Meryn's part. Hoster Tully would do well to keep his eye on that one..."

Theo Wull gave a snort. "I think your wager will remain a thing of air and words, Dustin. Oh, the Queen's a pretty morsel, I'll grant you, but can you see any maid here wishing to get the clothes off of that." He nodded at Stannis, then shook his head. "Their little hands'll freeze, like as not."

Ned frowned as his friends shared a chuckle, feeling a well of pity for the young King and Queen. Look at him. He sits there in Robert's place, and he knows it. And her-married to a man she doesn't know, who doesn't know her, all for the sake of her father's ambitions... His eyes darted to Tywin, sitting at his own table surrounded by his lords and bannermen. Grand Maester Pycelle sat next to him, oddly enough, sipping a small glass of wine. The pair seemed to be talking and yet through it all, the Lord of Casterly Rock's eyes remained fixed on his daughter and his new goodson. Is that the face of a man who's gotten his life's great design, or a man who's been forced to sup on dust and ashes? I cannot tell...

"Ned," came the familiar voice of Howland Reed.

Eddard turned to see the little cranogman standing at his shoulder. "How... goes matters, Howland?" he asked quietly.

Howland glanced around the hall. "I have been asking... and listening," he whispered. "Men often overlook a small man near them, when they talk. And I have heard nothing of the Lady Lyanna."

Eddard winced. He'd hoped some rumor of his sister would have at least surfaced, but still nothing. Perhaps he was being naïve-after all, Gregor Clegane, a man who he would have sworn could hide nowhere, remained unfound after all these long weeks. One highborn lady could doubtless do just as well-perhaps even better. Assuming she still lives.

"Well... keep looking, and listening..." muttered Ned. "I'm certain..."

"Ned..." Howland paused, as if considering the best way to put this. "I am not finished. I have heard nothing of the Lady Lyanna... but the Maester... the maester had a raven from Highgarden. Ser Oswell Whent and Arthur Dayne have appeared there, with the White Bull." He took a deep breath. "They came there to bend the knee to Prince Viserys."

Last edited:
The She-Wolf
THE SHE WOLF

Lyanna watched on the ship's deck as the great tower of Oldtown faded into the distance. She raised up little Rhaegar. There it goes, little one. There it goes for who knows how long. Home. If her son cared that he was leaving the Seven Kingdoms, possibly forever, he did not show it, instead gurgling merrily.

He does not know. He's a babe-this is all one to him. He has no understanding to make him sorrow-no memories to make him weep. She envied him that. For her, she could not stop remembering. When the Lord Commander told her what the Kingsguard had decided she had wept and pleaded. "Let me go home, sers-or if not that, let me find some nice spot of land where me and my son can live in quiet and peace. I care not for titles and honors. Let his little uncle Viserys have all of that. Indeed, who cares what you call him. If not 'Targaryen', let his name be 'Snow', or 'Waters' or even 'Sand'-he will be my dear son all the same, the memory of his beloved father, and I shall raise him to honor that memory in loyalty, not treachery."

Ser Arthur Dayne had looked at her with sympathetic eyes at that, and even Oswell Whent had seemed abashed, but Lord Commander Hightower had regarded her sternly. "Lady, you speak many names but the one that all will say, and that one is 'Blackfyre'." And with that he had sent her on her way.

She shook her head as she held little Rhaegar to her. She should not let the White Bull turn into an ogre in her mind-he and his sworn brothers had given her funds-Arthur Dayne had even gotten her passage on this ship before going to join the others at Highgarden, and given her a small token, of a dragon rampant, embossed in gold. "There is a house in Braavos, kept by the Crown for state visits. Show this to the people there-they will take care of the rest." That was a kindness.

Indeed, all this was a kindness. There would be no place for her among the loyalists, not with a son who muddied the succession and offended Dorne. She'd heard that Prince Oberyn Martell, the Red Viper was coming to the Reach with troops-that was a man, a dangerous man, who would have no love for her or her little son. Of the rebels-well, her brother would receive her kindly, she knew that, but Lord Tywin Lannister had wed his daughter to Stannis Baratheon and... A king slain, and a prince and princess all but babes, and poor Elia Martell... Lyanna bit her lip. The Lannisters truly are as ravening as lions.

She looked at her son, and wept. If only they had known! Then she and Rhaegar would have done their duties, gone their separate ways, lived their lives. But they'd been swept up in a sweet madness of love and prophecy and grand futures, but love-love most of all. She thought back to the Tower of Joy. We thought we could make a world for us, just we two. Well, they had in the end for a short time, but the price of that world was cruel and bloody. Father... Brandon... poor Robert... the king... Elia... the prince and princess... a hundred hundred fine brave men whose names I used to honor... a thousand thousand fine men whose names I will never know... and Rhaegar... Rhaegar... Rhaegar... Rhaegar with his sad eyes and his handsome face, Rhaegar dead on the Trident, Rhaegar dead and gone forever...

"Is all all right, miss?"

Lyanna turned to see a tall Summer Islander standing near her. "No... no...," she sniffled. "I... it is the war. I... much of my family died in it."

The man shook his head in sympathy. "That is war, in your lands" he said softly. "Bloody and terrible. It makes children orphans and women widows, and after words the folk of renown they meet and sit together, and sing their songs and suddenly all that has become grand. We in the Summer Islands... we used to be the same, until we saw that when we bled each other, only the slavers profited..." He smiled at her son. "Is that pretty babe yours, miss?"

Lyanna nodded quietly. "His father... my husband is dead." She shut her eyes. "Killed in battle." She paused, considering what to say. "He was... a harper."

Davos
DAVOS

"Oh, six maids there were in a spring-fed pool..." sang Ser Peter Plumm drunkenly, as his fellow Lannister men tapped the tune out on the tables. Plumm began to merrily, and unsteadily, dance along with the tune.

Look at them. You'd think they were nothing more than a bunch of drunken sailors, if not for their finery. And even then... some of the sailors I know dress just as well... Ser Davos Seaworth turned away, feeling acutely embarrassed. Somehow, it felt wrong for him to be here among so many old houses, a member of their revels. All I did was deliver some onions... The ends of the fingers of his left hand throbbed, still sore from where the King had chopped them. At moments like this, he wondered if he had made the proper choice-and not because of his fingertips.

He shook his head. My sons will stand higher than I ever will. And if I must feel like a pauper among princes to let them-it is worth it. Davos felt a sudden tugging at his sleeve. Stannis' newly-made squire, young Balon Swann stood at his side. "His Grace wishes to see you," said the young man quietly.

Davos nodded awkwardly, and rose from his seat, following Balon towards the king. They passed briefly by Lord Tywin who was talking to Grand Maester Pycelle-or rather, listening to the Grand Maester talk. "-worry overmuch," stated Pycelle, sagely stroking his grey beard. "Highgarden is grasping at straws. Why-I myself am being threatened with a Grand Conclave..." It seemed to Davos that Pycelle was talking a bit loud, and he wondered if the Grand Maester was more in his cups than he appeared. The Lord Tywin seemed to glance at Ser Davos as he passed, and despite himself the ex-smuggler felt a chill. There's another man who'd rather I was not here... It struck Davos that it seemed strange, and slightly ominous that the Lord of Casterly Rock was seated so far from the king. Then again, I don't know if I'd want him too near me if he was my goodfather. His hand went to his luck despite himself.

Stannis looked drawn and tired when Davos reached him, and perhaps his eyes mistook him, but Queen Cersei didn't look much better. "Ser Davos," said the King, with something that looked not unlike a smile.

Davos managed a rather stiff bow. "Your Grace wished to see me?"

"For two reasons," said Stannis. "Firstly, to introduce you to my wife." Cersei Lannister regarded the man, her eyes clouding with puzzlement and what Davos couldn't help but suspect was distaste. "This is Ser Davos Seaworth of Cape Wrath. He saved my life, and the lives of many other fine men."

Davos shifted uncomfortably. "I brought some onions, Your Grace. Nothing more."

"Through Paxter Redwyne's fleet," stated Stannis. "It was bravely done."

The Queen looked at him with growing comprehension. "The banner of the black ship..." she stated.

Davos glanced away. "For most, Your Grace, it's the banner of the onion..."

"It is the black ship that I have need of, Davos," said Stannis. "I offered Redwyne a peaceful settlement, if he would bend the knee and put his ships in my service." That faint smile had vanished and become a darker frown than usual. "He has done... quite the opposite."

"I've... heard something of that manner," muttered Davos. Lord Redwyne's taking the remaining Targaryens to Highgarden had been the talk of Stannis' retinue all the way to Bronzegate-news had even trickled down to him.

"I need a fleet," said the King. "A fleet and the men to sail it. Honest men, if they can be found. It occurred to me you might know such men."

Davos bit his lip. "The men I know, Your Grace, are honest-up to a point. A point and no further."

Stannis nodded. "I suspected as much. And such men will have to serve-for now. Wedding feast or no, Ser Davos-I am fighting a war. And I mean to win it."

Cersei
CERSEI

The wine they'd served her was thin and watery, and the food poor and tasteless. Such poor hospitality to their King and Queen, thought Cersei. If House Buckler imagines they'll gain my favor with this farce, they're fools. She'd barely touched both and now her stomach felt unsettled. Also, the room was dimly lit by flickering, smoky torches, so her eyes were tight and strained. As miserable as the rest of this sorry thing, she thought as she rubbed them.

She had always thought her wedding would be something grand, that she and the Prince would be wed in Baleor's Great Sept by the High Septon himself in all his finery, surrounded by an admiring throng. Instead the wedding had been held in the sept of a minor castle, presided over a little old man clad in a simple wool robe, with only a bunch of drunken louts to see it. She felt robbed, and not of a possession, but of something she had always felt she carried deep within her, something no one could take away. Oh, there had been moments of magic, such as how just before the ceremony her father had cloaked her in the colors of House Lannister and whispered "Your mother wore this on our wedding," but they had been short and invariably followed by disappointment. I wore that cloak for a little while, and then the King took it off and put me in that worn old thing of black and gold... She shut her eyes, and tried to remember what her mother's cloak had felt like, but what would keep coming back to her mind was her mother hugging her in the gardens of Casterly Rock. But that was all a long, long time ago...

"My lady," came the voice of the king. Her husband. Cersei opened her eyes and saw that he had risen from his seat and was offering her his hand. "My lady," said Stannis softly-or as softly as he could manage, at least. "My lady, will you grant me this dance?" Cersei stared at it, listening to the music playing. 'Two Hearts That Beat As One', she realized, and recalled Stannis whispering something to young Balon Swann a little earlier. She managed a nod, took Stannis' hand and rose from her seat, walking with him to the center of the floor. His hand is trembling, she thought to herself. Looking round she saw all eyes were on them. Stannis turned and bowed to her. And then they began to dance.

The King's motions were stiff and awkward, and he stepped on her feet several times. Each time, Cersei heard a titter of laughter ring through the hall-once, she thought she saw her father glaring after such an outburst. She wondered if he still felt he'd chosen wisely in this. When she looked into her husband's face, she saw he was as miserable about this as she was. I wonder why he even bothered, she thought. He is the King, after all.

As the song ended, one of Stannis' arms looped around her legs. With a sudden motion, he had lifted her up off the ground, and cradled her close to his chest. Well, thought Cersei, as she dangled there awkwardly, he is strong, I'll grant him that. As her hand pressed to his chest, she felt his heart beating like a smith's hammer. "My lords and ladies-honored sers," Stannis stated in a strained and hesitant voice, "I feel it is time for my wife and I to retire for the evening."

There were numerous hoots and catcalls to this, as the musicians began to play 'Oh Lay My Sweet Lass Down in the Grass' and one man even shouted out "Show us her tits!" Cersei glared out at the crowd. If I ever learn who said that..., she thought to herself, but then shut her eyes. If she ever learnt, she would do nothing, because there would be nothing that she could do. And so she listened to the cries and shouts as her husband carried her away from the chamber, and up the stairs. Eventually, they reached the bedchamber that had been set aside for them, by which time the noise from the revels down below had faded into a dull hum. Stannis deposited her on the bed, and then shut the door.

"My... apologies," said the King quietly. "I... had little desire for a bedding, and... little taste for the feast. I am sorry if I cut short your enjoyment of this night."

Cersei took a deep breath. "You cannot cut short something that doesn't exist, Your Grace." She sat up and began to fiddle with her dress. The stupid maids tied it all wrong, she thought, biting her lip in frustration. It won't come loose.

Stannis sat down on the bed, and looked at her with his dark blue eyes. "My lady... I... I know I am... not what you expected for a husband. Or what the realm expected for a king. Robert was the one born to rule, and to marry well, the one with a gift for making... people love him." He shook his head. "I never wanted all this. But I will swear to you that I shall do my duty by you."

Why is he telling me this? thought Cersei, as she managed to get her dress untied. "I cannot help but be offended, Your Grace," she said softly, "that you apparently do not want to be married to me."

"That is not what I meant," said Stannis, shifting awkwardly. "You are... you are very fair..."

If the room were brighter, I wouldn't be surprised to see you blushing like a boy, Your Grace. She couldn't help but think of Jaime, so much bolder than this strange man she was now tied to. If he were here right now, he would not be talking to me like this. She smiled at that happy thought, and then turned to the business at hand. "Your Grace," she said, as her dress fell free, "you'll find you're not the only one here who can do their duty. Now come to bed."

The Foul-Smelling Flower
THE FOUL-SMELLING FLOWER

There was a resounding crack as Ser Ulwyck Uller of Hellholt and Ser Dezial Dalt of Lemonwood met on the tourney field, their lances breaking on each others' shield. A great cry rose from the commons at this display of martial prowess, while young Viserys clapped his hands and cheered enthusiastically. King Viserys, thought Garth Tyrell. I must think of him as king.

"A fine sport, no?" said Prince Oberyn Martell, glancing at the seneschal.

"I am the wrong man to ask," stated Garth quietly. "Never much skill or time for tourneys. Can't even ride a horse these days, I'm afraid." He patted his belly. "I blame my taste for all that fine Dornish food that comes up from the Marches."

Martell smiled, and sipped his wine. "Well, at least I can say that you have fine taste in food." The Prince turned to Viserys. "What think you of this, Your Grace?"

"It's wonderful!" said the little king, eyes glued to the match. He glanced at his protector Ser Oswell Whent. "Look-look! They're going again!"

"Indeed, Your Grace," muttered the Kingsguard member softly.

Prince Oberyn smiled at the Ser Oswell. "So, Ser Whent, who do you favor for the victory?"

"It's hard to tell," said the Kingsguard. "Ser Dezial has a firmer seat, methinks, but Ser Ulwyck wields a fiercer lance."

Oberyn gave a deft nod. "Indeed. Well put, Ser." He took a long swallow of his wine. "I think it will be Uller myself. The young knight of Lemonwood has much potential, but he is still a boy. Ser Ulwyck... is a man."

A moment later the Prince's words were proven when Ser Dezial was toppled from his steed, landing with a thud on the ground. The young knight attempted to rise, but then fell back and lay still. As the wardens declared Ser Uller's victory, and his squires carried Ser Dezial to the maesters, the Dornish knight saluted the young king. "For the honor of King Viserys!" declared Uller.

Viserys applauded and laughed. "Oh, I like him! I like him! May I put him on the Kingsguard?" Garth couldn't help but think of King Aenys, feasting and feteing as the realm his father conquered fell apart around him. Unfair, Garth, unfair. He is a boy, and this is all little more than a merry game to him, dead father or no.

"If he continues to fight as he has, Your Grace, then yes." Prince Oberyn smiled. "I must state that he would be an excellent choice. Ulwyck burns to avenge your slain father."

Garth frowned to himself. They misgave him, all these fiery young followers that had come with the Red Viper-and as opposed to his goodnephew Ser Jon Fossoway, who'd been ranting about it to him the other night, it was not because they were Dornishmen. Though I will not deny that adds another wrinkle. How many fights have their been in the Reach's taverns since they came? More than through the entire war so far, that I know for a fact... But no-at heart Garth mistrusted them because it seemed that Prince Oberyn had stripped Dorne of its wildest youngest knights and come to fight a personal mission of vengeance. We cannot win this war. He must know this. All we can do is try not to lose too badly, so that our Houses can reach an honorable settlement. But he brings these mad young men here-men who think a war can be won with piss and vinegar, and nothing else...

Another cheer came from the crowd, as Ser Garth "Greysteel" Hightower took to the field against Ser Myles Manwoody. But there's the problem, thought Garth Tyrell. The Hightowers, the Ashfords, the Caswells, the Peakes-half the Houses in Highgarden seem inflicted with the same madness. My nephew lost a fair portion of the Reach's strength outside of Storm's End, and yet people seem to think we'll win. Because our cause is just, or some such nonsense. The crowd went wild as Greysteel easily knocked Ser Myles from his horse. Dreams of honor and glory. They make men mad.

"It is a pity your goodsister cannot be here," stated Prince Oberyn.

"I fear the Lady Olenna is... ill-disposed at the moment," noted Garth Tyrell. He smiled to himself, as he recalled the Queen of Thorns words on the subject. "Tell them the crack of lances give me headaches," she'd said, something he'd decided not to share. He glanced down to the field, where Lord Commander Hightower continued to watch the match in his gleaming white armor. Garth wondered if he was proud to see his grandnephew's skill. Likely, but I doubt he'll show it. Nor show Greysteel any favor that he does not earn. An honorable man. Who will get many people killed, if he has his way.

The Old Falcon
THE OLD FALCON

"...And Lord Estermont sends his regrets," stated Lord Walter Whent quietly, "but the storm on the Narrow Sea badly damaged the isle's ships. He still is not able to reach us."

Jon Arryn rubbed his temples. "It has been months since that storm. And he cannot find a single ship and come to King's Landing?"

Whent shrugged, his dark eyes looking troubled. "Not a secure one, I'm afraid." Once again, Jon realized that he missed Hoster Tully. His brother Brynden had gone to Tumbleton to secure it from the Dragon supporters, three weeks ago. Walter Whent had arrived from the Riverlands shortly thereafter. Hoster's goodbrother had buried two sons in what men were starting to call the War of the Dragons and the Stags. While no one doubted Lord Whent's commitment, there were few who'd call him an overly decisive man, as he ran a hand through his greying black hair.

"If he were not the King's grandfather," said Kevan, "I'd think he was trying very hard to avoid committing to the Stag's cause..."

"He's lost more kin than Robert in this," stated Jon. Privately, he wondered. Lord Baelor Estermont had never been one of the most daring of lords, grand name aside, and if Robert could be believed, Stannis was not the favorite among his grandchildren. The man had children, grandchildren and even great-grandchildren of his own line to consider, and as Robert used to say, his sigil being a turtle was no mistake.

"That still does not excuse his tardiness," stated Tywin Lannister, as he strode into the room, Grand Maester Pycelle tottering in after him. "In the time that Estermont has written his latest complaining message, His Grace's pet smuggler has already managed to produce six ships from across the Narrow Sea. With more on the way." Tywin confidently took his seat at the table. "If Lord Estermont does not watch himself, he will become the first man to lose a seat at the Small Council before he ever took it."

"Third, my lord," said Grand Maester Pycelle. "The first would be Lord Stokeworth in the reign of Daeron II. He was sent to be the new Master of Coins, but he had a brother who fought under the Black Dragon, so Bloodraven persuaded the council to choose someone a little more steady. The second..."

"Is irrelevant to our present discussion," said Tywin, glaring at the Grand Maester. He dropped a sealed envelope upon the table. "In here are King Stannis' present appointments to the Small Council." Jon Arryn carefully picked up the envelope. "They are, I believe, Lord Estermont to Master of Ships, Lord Whent to Master of Coins, Lord Arryn to Master of Laws, and myself as Hand to the King."

Arryn nodded to himself as he read Stannis' brusque missive. When Robert told me how stiff his younger brother was, I always thought he exaggerated. Tywin's Handship had been one of the conditions to his giving the Stags control of King's Landing, along with the marriage of his daughter to Stannis. While the King had consented, the rather curt tone of his letter made it clear he didn't like it. Still, who is happy with it aside from the Lannisters? thought Arryn, as he glanced at the scowling form of the Lord of Casterly Rock. And perhaps not even them...

Ser Kevan regarded his brother with a smile. "How is dear little Cersei?" he asked.

"As well as can be expected," replied Tywin curtly. "Now, Ser Kevan, your letter said you have a report from Silverhill?"

Jon Arryn frowned as Ser Kevan gave a nod. So he has been writing to his brother of our meetings-and the Seven knows what else-this entire time... "Ser Stafford has received a raven from Lord Alester Florent. He is Lord Tarly's goodfather, and his brother Ser Axell is serving with him. He believes that he may be able to get Lord Tarly to consider terms. Further, his brother believes he might be able to engineer the surrender of Goldengrove."

Jon Arryn idly tapped the table. A great victory, if they can get it. Though its Lord remained in the custody of the Stags, Goldengrove had remained in the Reach's hands, with Lord Beesbury using it as a base as he hemmed in the Lannister troops to the north. This war has not been kind to the glory of Westerland arms, has it? thought Jon. Even if this succeeds, what will men say but the men of the Rock only win battles through betrayal?

"Lord Arryn," said Tywin suddenly. "His Grace will be arriving in King's Landing shortly for his blessing and anointment. He wishes to have a secure city when he enters. As Master of Laws, this will be your duty."

"I believe I can manage it, Lord Hand," said Arryn quietly. "I have so far, after all. Why, men even smile when they see warriors of the Vale go past." Because they aren't Lannisters, he thought to himself.

The Butcher's Son
THE BUTCHER'S SON

Morros' feet dug into his sides as the boy watched the King and Queen climb the stairs of Baelor's Great Sept from the vantage point of his father's shoulders. Janos Slynt winced slightly, then smiled to himself and reached up to pat his boy on the head. Not every day a boy gets to see history, after all.

"She's pretty!" whispered Morros.

Janos nodded, but couldn't help but wonder what his father would say about that. He could almost hear Olyvar Slynt in his mind. 'Fair enough, fair enough, but not a candle on dear Queen Rhaella. Such grace, such charm, such fine manners...' Janos sighed to himself. And then he would tell of the time she thanked him for a fine cut of lamb he'd served her. 'Now-that is true royalty!'

Of course, Olyvar wouldn't tell such tales any longer. His father had never been overly fond of the Hand-'Thinks he's better than all others who walk this great green earth, that one does'-but somehow Janos didn't think even Olyvar would imagine he'd be cut down by a Lannister soldier one night. Dark times. Dark times. But... perhaps they're over now, eh?

The High Septon continued to drone on, demonstrating his aptly-earned nickname of 'the long-winded one'. Janos wondered if King Stannis was tired of kneeling before the man. He's scowling-but then, he's been scowling since the ceremony began. Janos frowned. It felt... wrong, not having a Targaryen for a king. They-they were the blood of the Dragon, the descendants of lost Valyria, more than men-almost gods. Even mad old Aerys had had a bit of that luster to him. Stannis Baratheon was... just a man. An impressive looking man, yes, but still a man. It was hard to believe he could sit on the Iron Throne.

And maybe he won't. Little Viserys is still out there. They say the Dragons have won every battle since Storm's End. Though Janos had to admit, most of them didn't sound like particularly impressive battles.

The High Septon finally stopped talking and the King and Queen rose. The people applauded. As he looked at Queen Cersei, Janos wondered if she knew what her father had done here. All the people who'd died... They cleaved his head in. For no real reason at all. Him, who'd served their own master the finest meat in King's Landing. Janos wondered if he should hurry back to the shop. Not that he could keep running it. He didn't have the hands. Oh, they were strong enough, but... his father had it. The skill. Olyvar Slynt liked to boast he could kill a steer in a blow, then cut its meat so fine you could see through the slices. Janos didn't have that. They call a man who hacks away at things a butcher. Well, yeah, they can be. If they're shit at it. Janos didn't want to be a shit butcher, who got by selling scraps to the pot shops. I'll sell the shop. Maybe... maybe buy a commission in the gold cloaks. They're hiring. They almost always are. I need money. Regular money. Got a son, a daughter, and a babe on the way. It don't come free. Like grandpa said-every man must serve...

"Papa-everyone's leaving!" said Morros.

Janos turned away. "You want to walk the way home?" he asked.

"Yes, yes," said Morros. "I'm a big boy! I can walk!"

Janos chuckled to himself, and then knelt down. Morros slipped off with a merry squeal, then took his father's hand as they prepared to head back. And that's what I serve. Him. He won't go without if I can help it. My grandfather didn't fail my father-my father didn't fail me-and I won't fail him.

"The new king is tall! Much taller than the last one!" said Morros. "Does that mean he'll rule longer?"

"If the Seven will it, Morros," answered Janos Slynt with a smile. "If the Seven will it."

Eddard
EDDARD

His Grace Stannis Baratheon sat upon the Iron Throne clad in the black and gold of his house, with an antlered crown upon his head, his expression wary and-it had to be admitted-regal. Whatever doubts one might have about suitability tended to vanish-or at least, quiet-when you saw the man sitting on that chair made of swords. I suppose Aegon the Conqueror built it for that reason, thought Eddard and shuddered slightly. Even if he came as an ally, the throne room of the Red Keep was not a comfortable place, with its shadows, and the skulls of dragons covering the walls. The fact that his father and elder brother had died horrifically here only added to his discomfort.

Ned shook his head, as court was called into session. That is done and past. The king who did it is dead, and a new king-this king-sits in his place.

Stannis leaned forward as the herald stopped talking. "There are many great matters to attend to, in this, my first court. It is my hope that in it, I will show the Seven Kingdoms what sort of king they have." He looked over the room. "Let Ser Jaime Lannister of the Kingsguard come forward."

Eddard searched the crowd for the man many were already calling the Kingslayer. He stood amongst the Lannisters-his father the Hand, his uncles Ser Kevan and Gerion, and most worryingly, his sister the Queen. Thoughts of plots and cliques entered Ned's head, and then vanished when he saw her eyes focused nervously on her twin. She wishes to be with her brother now, and who can blame her? For a second, Lyanna's face flashed in his mind, and he wondered where his sister was.

Jaime Lannister walked forward with a heavy tread, and knelt before the throne-Eddard was surprised how haggard he looked. It was almost enough to make him pity the man, as long as he didn't think of what he'd done. "Ser Jaime Lannister," said Stannis, "you killed the king you were sworn to protect, thus breaking your oath as a member of the Kingsguard." Jaime seemed to nod slightly at that. "I offer you this chance to take up the black, and live out the rest of your days protecting the realm as a member of the Night Watch."

"No! No! You can't!" Cersei Lannister fell to the floor, her uncles swiftly rushing to her side. "I... he... you can't! You can't!" She broke down into incoherent sobs, as Gerion patted her lightly on the back.

"Your Grace," said Jon Arryn, moving out of the crowd, "You have chosen me to be your Master of Laws, and as such I must point out the value of mercy..."

Stannis regarded Arryn stoically. "I have offered him honorable service in the Night Watch. That would be a mercy for an attempted regicide, much less a successful one." He shook his head. "Understand this, Lord Arryn-I will not have this man in my Kingsguard. He has sullied its oath, and must pay the price for that."

As Cersei sobbed and her uncles tried to comfort her, Tywin Lannister stepped forward. "Your Grace-if I may speak not as your Hand, but merely as a father," he said, his expression hard and his voice cold. "It is hard for me to see my son sent so far from me. Remove him from the Kingsguard-yes, I can see that, but surely that is disgrace enough..."

"And it is hard for me to bring sorrow to my wife, your daughter," said Stannis, with perhaps the slightest tremble in his voice, "but so it stands. I am a King, and sometimes must do things that bring me sorrow." He stared at Tywin Lannister intently. "As for what you propose, many would argue that would be a reward, freeing him to inherit what he has forfeited by joining the Kingsguard."

Tywin stared back at him, his hard green eyes glaring into Stannis' hard blue ones. "Many might, Your Grace. Many might. It is up to you whether you heed their opinion." The pair stood there for a moment, eyes locked on each other, when a loud wail broke their concentration.

"Don't send him away!" cried Cersei. She looked at her husband appealingly. "Please-he... my brother... I... I love him..." She sniffled. "Don't send him to the Wall!" Stannis bit his lip as he looked at her, as if struggling to find the words to say.

Eddard felt sympathy well up in him, and stepped towards the Queen. "Your Grace," he said gently, "I understand your sorrow, but... to protect the realm as a member of the Night Watch is an honorable service. This we remember in the North. Your brother can free himself of the dishonor he has acquired in the service of the Iron Throne..."

If Ned had hoped to comfort the weeping woman, the angry gaze she shot him suggested he had failed, by a significant margin. Eddard shifted, aware that all eyes were now on him... when something happened to take them off.

"Your Grace," said Jaime firmly, "I accept the black." As Eddard watched, Cersei and Tywin both stared at the young knight in astonishment. Jaime shut his eyes. "What I did... I... Aerys... I had reached a point where I felt to serve him by the Kingsguard oath meant to dishonor all others I'd ever sworn, as a knight and a man." As the court murmured around him, Jaime shook his head. "I... I may have been wrong to think that. I don't know. All I know is there is a stain on my soul that I have to clean, however it got there. And so I accept your offer. And I take the black. And I thank you, and I ask you..." He opened his eyes and looked at the king pleadingly. "I ask you and every one here to pray for me, if they can. Pray for me, to the old gods and the new. So that I can find forgiveness with them, if not with men. So that I can find peace."

The Old Falcon
THE OLD FALCON

The Queen was ushered from the chamber weeping, her uncle Gerion taking her out. "Now, now," he said softly. "Now, now, sweet Cersei, just let all the sad out..."

Jon Arryn watched the pair leave, suppressing an urge to scream the entire time. His eyes turned to King Stannis, who sat in the Iron Throne rigid as a statue. The fool! The stubborn young fool! Does he want to throw away all we have accomplished? Lord Tywin Lannister stood as rigid as the king and goodson he proclaimed to serve. He will not forgive this, thought Jon. Tywin Lannister broke with Aerys for giving Jaime the white-Seven alone know what he'll do to Stannis for giving the lad the black.

Jon sighed. He could understand the feeling that what Jaime had done was beyond the pale-in truth it was-but the Stags couldn't afford to risk their entire alliance unraveling in the middle of this war. Despite their losses, the Reach and Dorne remained fresher than any of their rivals-save the Westerlands. And the Reach could field an army larger than most of the allies-again, save the Westerlands. Tywin Lannister's good feeling was imperative for the Stags to succeed-and Stannis had just forfeited that.

As the court calmed, the King raised his voice again. "Let Ser Barristan Selmy come forward." Ser Barristan came out of the crowd, still heavily bandaged from the wounds he'd received on the Trident. "Ser Barristan, I wish you to go to your brothers of the Kingsguard in Highgarden and deliver this message. There is still time for them. They are honorable men and true, and I give them credit for it. But if they continue to play kingmakers around this young boy, I will not be able to forgive them. To have served Aerys was one thing-to have crowned Viserys was another. If they bend the knee, and acknowledge me as rightful sovereign of these Seven Kingdoms, then they may resume their rightful places on my Kingsguard. If they continue to bear arms against me, I will count them traitors, and deal with them as such."

There was an audible gasp in the court. Jon Arryn winced, and cursed Stannis' stubborn pride. Heavens help the lad, what does he think he's doing? Does he think he can sully the honor of men like the White Bull and the Sword of Morning? It will be him the folk will judge for this, not them!

Ser Barristan, to his credit, accepted this charge with an easy grace. "Very well. And what of myself?"

"I give you the same choice," said Stannis simply. "You may serve me, or you may pledge your sword to Viserys and treachery. It is entirely up to you, Ser."

Barristan nodded, and then turned to leave the court. "Now... Ser Cortnay Penrose. Ser Mark Rysell. Ser Brynden Tully. Step forth." Jon Arryn watched as the three men knelt before the throne and spoke their oaths. Well-good solid choices, men of some note, and some skill, he thought, though not telling Tywin of this-it's another slap in the face. As the oath ended, young Balon Swann handed them each a white cloak, and three men rose and took their places around the Iron Throne. "And now... Jon Arryn. Step forward."

Jon Arryn blinked. This was... unexpected. Straightening himself, he walked forward. "Your Grace," he said.

"You served me well as Master of Laws, and my brother well before then as an ally," said Stannis. That would cheer me if there were more warmth in your voice, Your Grace. "But I have a greater role in mind for you. In the past, the Targaryens gave a seat on their Small Council to a keeper of spies, a master of whispers. This I will not do-it was an unseemly custom, and it brought bad men into power. In its place, I revive an older title. Jon Arryn, I appoint you Master of the Great Seal, as the Storm Kings did before the Conquest. To you I grant sovereignty over my chancelleries and my emissaries. To you I grant the power to speak for me to the nations across the Narrow Sea."

Jon stared a moment in dull shock. "Your Grace... you do me... great honor..." Another slap in Tywin Lannister's face! This... this cuts the Hand in twain! He wondered if he dare refuse. One look at Stannis' face, and he knew he did not. "...And I shall try to live up to it."

Stannis nodded. "Excellent. Take up the Great Seal." Balon Swann handed him it to him, a large medal depicting a crowned stag. He will need a man of sense about him, a man who will cut through the feuds he seems determined to start, Jon thought as he stepped back. Stannis looked over the crowd. "Now-bring forth the Spider. Bring forth Varys, the spy."

There was an uncomfortable silence for a moment. And then a little old man politely stepped forward. "Well... Your Grace... I... I tried to tell you... earlier... Lo... Varys... he wasn't in his cell, Your Grace."

Stannis regarded the man. "What?"

The old man gulped. "It... it was empty. Your Grace. The Spider's gone."

Last edited:
The Knight of Hounds
THE KNIGHT OF HOUNDS

This was a bad plan. Ser Tytos Clegane knew that. Gods help me, you can smell treachery on the wind if you have the nose for it. He looked up ahead, at Ser Stafford Lannister, and Ser Emmon Frey, and Ser Harys Swyft, the... bold leaders of this force, and shook his head. Knights, the same as him, but not all knights were equal. Ser Clegane had learned that through hard experience. They had no nose for it. They were laughing and joking with each other, minds already flush with an easy victory they counted as won before it even existed. They would not listen to him. They would not heed him. If he stepped forward to warn them once again, they would only laugh.

He spurred his horse forward. A knight-a true knight-does his duty, he reminded himself, no matter how onerous and unrewarding he may find it.

Clegane rode unsteadily ahead. He had little skill as a rider-he had taken to it far too late, and never managed to acquire the gift. He could still recall Lord Tytos and the Reyne brothers' laughter at watching him at the hunt. 'Dear me, young Tytos, you ride like a farmer,' Reynald Reyne had said. A smile came unbidden to Clegane's face. The men who had laughed at the boy had done so with affection. Not like the men who now laughed at the man grown.

"Sers," he said softly, as he pulled up beside them. "A word if you please."

Stafford Lannister turned, and regarded Tytos with a dull hostility. "More whining, Clegane?" he snorted. "Relax, you'll get your scraps." Harys Swyft let out a loud laugh at that, as he had every time that Ser Stafford had used that joke or a variation thereof when talking to Tytos.

"Sers, I am still uncertain about this... surrender we are going to," stated Clegane calmly. At night. In the woods. By the Crone, you dunces, do I have to draw you a map? "Perhaps-just perhaps, mind you-it would be wise to send me and a few others ahead to scout..."

"Are you the Knight of Hounds, Clegane, or the Knight of Pups?" asked Ser Frey, eliciting another loud laugh from Ser Swyft who once again apparently found this witticism just as amusing now as he had the first time it had been used. "Frighting at nothing!"

"He wouldn't be the only one, if we sent this lummox galumphing up ahead," snorted Ser Stafford. "Ser Florent would probably flee." He peered at Ser Tytos with all the intensity that a truly stupid man absolutely convinced of his brilliance was capable of. "He's giving us Goldengrove, Clegane. Goldengrove. He's got the men there, waiting for us. All set up for us. And you think I shouldn't show him a little trust." He shook his head. "Not very knightly." Frey and Swyft shared a snicker at that. "Now-anything else you want to say?"

Tytos Clegane considered telling Stafford that he was an ass and was about to get a good many men killed in what would likely go down in the history of the Seven Kingdoms as one of the more major military blunders, but decided it would do little good. So instead he shook his head, and rode away. Well, he cannot say I didn't warn him. Or rather, he can, but he'll be lying when he says it. Tytos sighed. Ser Stafford was a dunce of the first order, who held his post because Tywin Lannister trusted family above all. That wasn't a problem when it was a solid man like Ser Kevan Lannister, or a skilled man like Ser Tygett-but Tywin's goodbrother was a fool. Oh, he'd follow orders, if they were set before him in painstaking detail, but most of the time, that was all he would do. Which made him-most of the time-close to Tywin's vision of a perfect subordinate, Clegane imagined. The problem really began on those rare occasions when Stafford got an idea. Stafford's ideas all resembled one another- they were all supposed to win Stafford a great deal of glory, they were never any good, they inevitably got men killed, and finally, when they were finished, Stafford would have a chat with Tywin, and then find himself on some duty more in line with his abilities, like supervising latrine digging. And then Lord Tywin would need a loyal subordinate for some minor task, Ser Kevan would be busy somewhere else, Ser Tygett would be in one of his periodic-and frequently rather justified-sulks, and so Ser Stafford would set forth with painstaking instructions from his goodbrother on what to do that he would follow exactly, Lord Tywin would begin to dismiss the last debacle as a fluke, and the whole merry dance would begin again...

It was a sad thing, what Lannister arms had fallen to. Clegane remembered brighter days, days when the knights of the Rock were considered as glorious as the knights of the Reach, when Roger Reyne the Red Lion had songs sung about him other than The Rains of Castamere, when smallfolk had loved the Lord of Casterly Rock, not feared him, and when folk said 'a Lannister pays his debts' with a smile, not a shudder.

I'm becoming an old man, he thought. An old man, complaining about how everything was so much better and brighter when he was a boy. But it had been, for him, at the very least, if not for all. He remembered the War of Ninepenny Kings. "A promising lad," Roger Reyne had called him for years, and Gods, had he proved that promise then. He had thought, afterwards, that the laughter would be silenced forever, that he had at last put 'Tytos the dog boy' behind him. The Seven scourge us for our folly and our pride, he thought. They always do. That was when it all turned foul for us, and heavens help me, every one of us should have seen it coming.

A call from up ahead brought Clegane back to the present. "Is... that you, Ser Stafford?" Tytos winced. Damnable fool! Keep your mind where you are when you're in battle! He looked ahead to see... a man on a horse... who sat in a very... stiff way...

"Yes, Ser Axel! It's me!" boomed out Ser Stafford. "I've brought those men here, just as you said!"

They've tied him to his horse, you idiot! Tytos considered saying that, but decided against it, as it would almost certainly get him an arrow from whatever archers were hidden in the trees. Instead he shifted in his saddle and prepared to dismount. That was the one thing he could do excellently on a horse, and it had saved his life more times than he could count.

"Very... very good... Ser Stafford..." said Ser Axel, his voice breaking. "If... if you will wait just a moment I will..." And that was when the archers fired.

Ser Stafford had been standing very prominently in front, and been talking in his loud and booming voice, and so he managed to gather many shots himself. But there were still arrows enough for many of the men who'd followed him out into what he'd assured them was going to be a quick and simple victory. Ser Tytos listened to them sailing overhead, as he readied his sword, and prayed to the Seven that a horse or a panicked man didn't trample him where he lay. They must have been listening that night-none did.

The first part was over quickly, as such ambushes generally were, and then the men came out of the woods, with spears and swords to round up captives, and kill any men who tried to resist. Clegane heard Swyft and Frey loudly and piteously surrendering. A man came near him. Ser Tytos began, silently, to count. Another man joined the first. And then a third. He heard a whistle. "Look at that! Is that Quhorene-made, ya reckon?" The third man leaned towards him.

He took a stab to the belly as Tytos leapt to his feet. "CLEGANE! CLEGANE!" he shouted as he finished off the man's companions. They have treated us with dishonor, he reminded himself, and it is right and proper to pay them with their own coin. He began to rush towards the woods. "To me, men of the Westerlands! To me! CLEGANE! CLEGANE!" Men tried to stop his progress, but they were too slow. They almost always were when they faced him in battle, slow and amazed a man as big as he could move so fast. A glance behind showed him that there were men following him, and not men of the Reach-these were Westerland colors, the colors of fellow Lannister bannermen. I've done my duty. I've done as I should. Some of us are getting out of this folly free and alive.

Fewer men were trying to get in front of him now, likely because they saw what kept happening to the men who did. "I say, Ser!" A mounted knight rode before him, the blazon of House Crane on his shield. "Surrender at once! You've-" Clegane struck a massive blow on the man's side, and watched him topple from his saddle. The man landed with a crash, which panicked his horse. Tytos watched it gallop away, the man being dragged behind it, one foot still in the stirrup. Not a good dismount, he thought to himself, then chid himself for making light of the fellow's fate. He was a man such as you are, a brave man, doing his duty... He heard another horse snort and pivoted around.

"I YIELD, SER!" screamed the young squire on the palfrey. The boy leapt rather awkwardly off the horse and knelt on the ground. "I yield! I yield! It was Ser Crane's idea! Ser Crane! Him you just..." The boy gulped and looked up at Clegane desperately. "He said... he said a man on horseback over-matched a man on foot..."

"That depends on the two men, I find," said Tytos softly. He looked around. They were farther from the ambush site then he'd realized, but still closer than he liked. He glanced at his followers, and began to count. "Anyone need a horse?" A man in the colors of House Kenning came forward, limping somewhat. Tytos helped him on.

"What of the boy?" came a voice.

"He has yielded to me, and is my sworn prisoner," stated Clegane. He looked at the squire, a round-faced, rather harmless-looking lad. "Your name, boy?"

"Garrett Flowers, Ser," he stated. "One of the B... Bastards of Highgarden..." The boy gulped. "Ser."

Tytos heard a dissatisfied murmur from the men, and small wonder. Not much of a ransom from this one. "We best be moving. We've won our freedom for the moment-but keeping it may prove harder." He turned towards the trees, and began to stride forward.

"Are you going to leave him untied?" came that same very annoying voice.

"Young Garrett has yielded to me, and I trust that he will abide by his honor in this matter," said Tytos. "If he does not, then all will know him as a liar and an oathbreaker. And if the Seven should ever see fit to bring me to battle against again in such a happening, I would treat him as such." Garrett quivered so much at that, Clegane almost felt guilty.

"So you'll let him walk untied all the way back to camp?" said that same irritating person, who Tytos had at last identified.

"No, Ser Alyn Stackspear, I shall not. I shall let him walk untied all the way back to Silverhill." Ser Tytos heard the cries of surprise, and sighed. "Think of it, men. Our camp, which lies at half-strength and is under the stalwart command of young Ser Cleos Frey?" He felt the uncomfortable realization steeling over them. "If Tarly had any hand in this-and he most certainly did-than our camp is now their camp. We march to Silverhill."

They fell behind him after that. A young man in the colors of House Marbrand glanced at him. "So you think we can make it there?"

Tytos nodded. "We have a fair chance. I doubt they'll be breaking themselves for a handful of men. And it's been a mild winter so far." He shrugged. "And of course, there's the horse. If it comes to that-well, they are surprisingly good eating, I find."

He thought he saw young Garrett quiver at that.

Cersei
CERSEI

The Queen stared at the blood orange before her, and frowned. She looked across the table at her husband, who continued to nervously watch her. Some men send flowers, she thought. He sends me oranges for breakfast.

"Are you... are you hungry, Cersei?" asked Stannis, quietly.

"I'm fine," she stated flatly.

"If you want, I could have them send your food back," he continued.

"I'm fine." Cersei idly fiddled with her fork, and looked at him again. She hated him. It would have been bad, what he had done to Jaime, but what he had done before then made it worse. On the trip up to King's Landing after their marriage, Stannis had been... pleasant in a shy, stiff, infinitely awkward way. It had been almost endearing, and Cersei had started to imagine that marriage to the King might prove bearable-even pleasant.

And then he'd done... that to Jaime. Cersei held back a tear as she chewed her orange. I can never forgive him that. Never.

"They tell me it may be a while before we have oranges in King's Landing again," said Stannis. "Dorne's declared for Viserys." Her husband's always present frown seemed to deepen. "Pity."

Cersei fidgeted in her chair. "I... was unaware you were so fond of oranges."

"I'm not," said Stannis. "But I am fond of peace. Dorne held off the rest of the Seven Kingdoms by themselves for generations. With Highgarden to back them..." He scowled and ground his teeth.

"A pity you don't have dragons, then," she said quietly.

"They didn't help the Targaryens," said her husband. "Balerion the Black Dread could not make the Dornishmen surrender. It is not a pleasant thing to know you must prove yourself more terrible than a dragon who could swallow a mounted knight whole."

You are well on your way to that, thought Cersei, barely suppressing a scowl. Suddenly, it occurred to her-here was the opening she needed. She forced herself to smile. "Well, my husband, it seems to me you are in need of every sword you can..."

Stannis turned his piercing dark blue eyes on her, and stared for a moment. "Cersei, my dear, you are my wife, and I... hold you in some regard. But as my wife, I ask you to treat with me as I would treat with you." He shook his head. "I am not a man given to intrigues and flattery. I am simple and direct in my speech. So if you would ask something of me... ask it. Do not imply it."

Cersei stared at him a moment, and bit her lip. "I... pardon my brother, Your Grace. Let Jaime go home."

Stannis regarded her simply. "No. I cannot."

"You... cannot?" snapped Cersei. "No, you will not!" She pointed at Stannis accusingly. "You... you are the King! You can do as you like! You could pardon him in a second!"

"The man your brother killed did as he liked," said Stannis quietly. "You see where that got him." He folded his hands before him, and lay them quietly on the table. "I do not resent the fact that you love your brother, Cersei, and that you wish him well. And if it were simply a matter of your happiness, he would be free. But it is not. You do not seem to appreciate the enormity of Jaime's actions." Stannis took a deep breath. "You spoke earlier of my needing swords. Ser Brynden Tully. Ser Cortnay Penrose. Ser Mark Rysell. These are all talented warriors. The Blackfish fought with honor beside Barristan the Bold. Ser Penrose and Ser Rysell both proved themselves fighting under Robert-Ser Rysell even saved my life at Storm's End. And not one of these men would sit on my Kingsguard if your brother had remained. The Blackfish told me himself that he would not serve with the man who had dishonored the greatest oath he had ever sworn, in the vilest way imaginable." He leaned forward. "That is what your brother did, Cersei. And if my word as a king is to have any meaning, he must be punished for it."

"But... but it was Aerys!" said Cersei. "He... would have killed your brother! And... and Father!"

Stannis nodded. "Yes. He was a bad man, and a bad king, and I feel that as a man he deserved to die. But he was still a king, and your brother still swore an oath to protect him with his life and serve him with his death, if it became necessary."

Cersei sniffled. It is like... arguing with a wall... "You... you could just... release him... from the Kingsguard..." she said.

"And let him go on to inherit Casterly Rock," said Stannis with a nod. "And men would say of me 'There is King Stannis. He said he would rule with justice, but his wife ruled him with her charms'. And they would say of Jaime, 'There is the Kingslayer, who broke his oath, and escaped justice, because his sister is the Queen'. Tell me, Cersei, do you think your brother would enjoy being the subject of such whispers?"

Cersei stared down at her breakfast, holding back tears. Useless. It's all been useless. He's just like Father... you cannot change his mind on anything... He tears whatever you say apart... he has already torn it apart before you even say it... She suddenly felt a trembling hand on her shoulder and flinched. She turned to see her husband standing over, his face miserable.

"Cersei... Cersei, this does not give me joy." He looked away from her. "I... if there is any way I... can make this up for you... I would do it. He... he is your brother. Your twin. I cannot imagine how close you two must be..."

Thank goodness, thought Cersei to herself. "I know, Your Grace. I... I am sorry for losing my temper. He... As you say, he is my brother, my twin... and dear to me..." Stannis had started to rather awkwardly stroke his hair, a sensation Cersei had to admit was more enjoyable than she had thought it might be. "I... if I could see him. One last time before he... goes to the Watch."

"It might not be the last time," said Stannis quietly. "They do let men come south on business for them... you might see him again, and sooner than you thought. But... yes. Yes, my dear, I will let you two meet together. If you wish."

"I do," said Cersei. She smiled to herself, pleased that something she had cobbled together at the last moment had proven so effective. You are a clever man, my husband-but not quite as clever as you think. She took another bite of orange, and began to plan some more. I will show him you do not wrong the Lion, she decided.

The Butcher's Son
THE BUTCHER'S SON

Allar Deem sipped his drink, and tried to look sagacious-a difficult feat for a man with the all the wit the Seven gave pease. "You could sell this place off and use the money go to the Free Cities. Set up shop as a merchant there."

Janos glared at him. "Like the hells I could," he muttered. As often happened at times like this, he found himself wondering why he let Allar stay around and enjoy his food. "You have any idea what it's like there? Bastards would slit my throat the moment I started up in business..." He scowled to himself. "And that's assuming I could get enough money selling this place to do more than pay for passage."

Allar sighed. "Right, right. Just trying to help. Don't have to bite my head off." Janos rolled his eyes. Allar had been something of a hanger-on of his for years. They were both the sons of men in trade who'd lacked the talent necessary to take up the trade themselves-but while Janos at least had enough of a head for figures to help his father run the business, Allar had proven an utter disappointment to Mollaro Deem, who was often heard noting in taverns that he was pleased he had three other sons who fucking knew how to make barrels.

"Pardon me," came an accented voice from the doorway. "Is this as it says, a place where a man from Essos may enjoy hospitality?"

Janos and Allar turned to see the fattest man they had ever seen in their lives standing in the doorway of the Slynt butcher shop, a great blonde-bearded sphere clad in fine silks. "What makes you say that?" said Allar, standing to his full height, and crossing his arms in an imposing manner. It occurred to Janos this was why he kept Allar as a friend. The man was incredibly good to have backing you in a fight.

"It is right on the sign," said the fat man, stepping confidently into the shop. A servant-a nondescript man in leathers-followed him in, silently. "In Valyrian. 'Come, friend, enjoy what I offer'."

Janos, who'd often wondered what the strange letters his grandfather had had painted on his shop's sign meant, stood up. "Well, never let it be said a Slynt's a liar," stated Janos. "Take a seat..."

"Illyrio Mopatis, Magister of Pentos" said the fat man, as he did just that. Janos felt a sudden wave of sympathy for that poor stool, which was now being forced to do more than it had ever done in its many long years in this shop. "Slynt? Any relation to the Slynts of Volantis?"

"Not by blood," said Janos quietly. "Janos Slynt, at your service, Magister."

Allar managed a stiff bow. "And Allar Deem."

Illyrio smiled to himself. "Janos... Allar... these are Essosi names..."

"They are not," said Allar with a scowl.

Janos nodded. "He's right. They are Westerosi names." Janos leaned forward and looked Illyrio pointedly in the eye. "Because we are Westerosi."

The magister nodded and gave a subtle smile. "Then I stand corrected." He gave a shrug. "You would not happen to have some food, would you? As it so happens, I am famished, hard as it is to believe."

"I can offer you sausage," said Janos. "And a cup of ale."

"I thank you," said Illyrio. He smiled as the food was set before him. "My apologies for imposing on your hospitality. But you, see my business in this city has been, alas, horribly protracted, from my viewpoint. I was staying on my finest ship, picking up a shipment of your golden Arbor wine, when suddenly your King said that my finest ship was now his finest ship." He chuckled. "That ship, and several more. And so, now I look for shelter. But it is proving difficult, for your king has made the ships of many others his ships, and they have taken lodgings in this city before I have."

Janos rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "I have some spare rooms in my house..."

Illyrio raised an eyebrow significantly. "Indeed? Well, if I could use them, you would be amply repaid..."

"They may prove a bit humble for a Magister of Pentos," said Janos.

"I suspect I've stayed in worse, Master Slynt," answered Illyrio, with a smile.

"Journeyman Slynt," muttered Janos quietly. "I am no Master, Magister."

"Ahh," noted Illyrio with a nod and a quiet smile. "My mistake. Apologies then." Janos found himself wondering if the apology was sincere or quiet mockery, then decided that would only lead to more questioning of the magister's motives, which might lead to the man going elsewhere. He was not about to let an opportunity like this slip away from him.

He couldn't afford to.

Back