Mining Pick, no idea if we have any lockpicks
In that case we best keep it so we can pry loot off the face of the earth!

veekie, sorry that only giving screenshots of inventory is an issue for you. I should be able to take more time to list inventory items, if necessary.
Won't need it for a comprehensive list of vendor trash, but relevant equips would be good.
Just the hazards of phoneposting.

At least the screen is no longer a spiderweb even if my wallet weeps...

Hey, I resemble that remark!
Heh, my phone's had a few rather large cracks down the screen for... many years. I think it's about 5 models behind. *googles* What do you mean 'Galaxy S10 announced yesterday'?? Okay, 7 models behind.

Ahem. Yeah I'll take care to provide more relevant info. Also I'll write up a full character sheet next time I have Skyrim open. (It kinda takes a few minutes to start now that I've loaded it down with hi-res textures for basically everything.)

If you want to pry loot of the face of the earth you'll either need to get into two-handed weapons or else put 100 cwu into the 'Leverage' Luxury to enable smashing locks with one-handed weapons. But if you do you will be able to smash open chests and doors with the mining pick, sure ;)

If you want to pry loot of the face of the earth you'll either need to get into two-handed weapons or else put 100 cwu into the 'Leverage' Luxury to enable smashing locks with one-handed weapons. But if you do you will be able to smash open chests and doors with the mining pick, sure ;)
That and smashing mines with the mining pick, assuming I understood the ore harvesting method right and the ore deposits are no longer basically reskinned chests.

That and smashing mines with the mining pick, assuming I understood the ore harvesting method right and the ore deposits are no longer basically reskinned chests.
Did you stop playing at Oblivion? Yeah, they improved mining in skyrim, now you hit them with pickaxes and things fall into your inventory until the vein is empty.
It'd be so much faster if they were still chests.

Exploring around Whiterun, voting round 7 open
Mondas, 18 Second Seed, 4E 201
1:53 PM
I bought a small tent, a backpack, and a linen travel cloak from Belethor. To my annoyance he was out of helmets, so I will have to resort to visiting the blacksmith.

2:20 PM
The blacksmith was not at her forge, but fortunately she arrived back from an errand only moments after I arrived. He did not have any hide helmets to sell either, but she did sell me a leather helmet, which is fine too. It return I sold her my spare sword. I think I'll check out the Drunken Huntsman now.

3:58 PM
The Drunken Huntsman is a cosy place. It's fully stocked with weapons and armour (and a few other trinkets such as a lone lockpick - I have more than enough already), sells some food, offers lodging, and even has a fire for cooking. I cooked my leeks and some potatoes, so they are much more appetising now. I could make a healing poultice from a healing potion, but I'm not sure what the benefit would be. I also purchased a useful-looking book about armour. I'll have a read of it and then go look around the outside of the city. Saw a flyer on the ground: it's one of Auryen's "help wanted" notices.

4:20 PM
I headed out of Whiterun and took the road to the left (I really need to work on my sense of direction. I've had my nose in the books for too long.) and discovered some farms and a meadery. I was pulled out of my appreciation of the view by a yell and the sound of fighting, and watched in surprise as a travelling alchemist put down a bandit!

4:42 PM
The alchemist offered to buy or sell potions and ingredients, but I have no particular need right now. It's good to know such folk are around. I did however take advantage of the situation and relieved the bandit of her posessions which she no longer needs. Some mead, a greatsword, some armour, a bandana. The boots and bracers are inferior to my own, and the iron armour is not really suited to my strength, so I could either sell it or display it in the gallery's armoury. I'm sure I'll see more just like it, but perhaps it has sentimental value?

4:50 PM
Found another casualty of the fight: a chicken. I'll try plucking it and taking the meat. If I'm to be travelling in Skyrim I expect I will need to hunt for my food, so it's best to start out with something easy.

8:15 PM
It's dark and... well I have some chicken meat. And I'm finding my sense of direction, so that's something.

8:45 PM
It's time for sleep. I could go to one of the inns in Whiterun, or I could try out my new tent. There's already a convenient fire I can pitch it beside. It might be safer to sleep in the city walls, but camping is free and I have to get some camping experience, so this is probably a better place than most.

[][sleep] Where should Jen spend the night?
-[] The Drunken Huntsman (-95 gold)
-[] The Bannered Mare (-85 gold)
-[] Tent by fire near Whiterun stables

The Drunken Huntsman is a little more expensive but it's much closer to the city gate.

[][morning] What should Jen do in the morning?
-[] Continue exploring outside Whiterun
--[] Anything particular she should look for?
-[] Explore inside Whiterun
--[] Anything particular she should look for?
-[] Sell Bandit loot
--[] Which parts?
-[] Go to Riverwood
--[] By carriage or on foot?

[][afternoon] What should Jen do in the afternoon?
Same choices as above

Pics:

Erm, like a minute closer?
A minute IRL, which is several minutes in-game.

I hear you can get the voice activated version of Skyrim with only the Alexa app (no need to buy any fancy Amazon hardware gadgets) but I've never tried it cos I don't really have the opportunity to talk out loud to my device unheard.

Last edited:
[X][sleep] Where should Jen spend the night
-[X] Tent by fire near Whiterun stables
[X][morning] What should Jen do in the morning?
-[X] Sell Bandit loot
--[X] Greatsword and armor pieces
[X][afternoon] What should Jen do in the afternoon?
-[X] Go to Riverwood
--[X] Foot

Character Sheet
I'd kinda like to have this fancily formatted in tables and tabs but it already took me at least an hour to write up, plus that might be unusable on veekie's phone thus defeating the purpose.

Name: Jen Greygift
Race: Altmer (high elf)
Nickname: 'combat archaeologist'
Class: Nightblade
Sign: The Steed (Mid-Year), 3rd Era
Level: 2
Carry weight: 165/313
Warmth: 189 (affects how quickly we gain exposure from cold)
Coverage: 54 (affects how quickly we get wet from rain)
Followers: None
Spells to learn: None

Stats:
Magicka: 118
Health: 105
Stamina: 108

Skills:
Illusion: 35
Destruction: 30
Alteration: 30
One-handed: 25
Light Armour: 25
Sneak: 25
Enchanting: 15
Conjuration: 10
Restoration: 10
Speech: 9
Smithing, Heavy Armour, Block, Two-handed, Archery, Lockpicking, Pickpocket, Alchemy: 5

Perks:
Destruction Mastery I: Destruction spells cost 35% less magicka and are .25% more powerful per level of Destruction (currently 7.5%)

Camping Perks: None

Survival Perks: None

Relics on Display: None

Quests completed:
Second Chance (Choose and begin our new life arriving on the Solitude docks as the Relic Hunter)
Frostfall (Reflect on Cold Weather Survival)
Hunterborn (Inspect a fresh animal carcass, i.e. the chicken)

Quests in progress:
Rescue a Citizen (Kidnapped woman at Embershard Mine)
Investigation (of two missing citizens, speak to Falk Firebeard)
Dwemer technology (three artifacts in various Dwemer ruins)
Book collecting (five books in various places)
Enslaved Wenches (find information in Embershard Mine)
Dragonborn Gallery (Get urns from Helgen, Investigate Bleak Falls Barrow and Silent Moons Camp)
Slay the undead at Grimrott Grotto
Slay the beast at Steepfall Burrow
Retrieve silver garnet necklace at Volunrund
Explore Pinemoon Cave
Find Glass Helmet/Gauntlets/Armour/Boots
Collect 10 Snow Sabre Cat Pelts
Get the Missive from Avulstein Grey-Mane (we'll do that first thing in the morning BTW)
Gather 17 Moon Sugar
Gather 13 Gold Ore

Spells:
Illusion:
Fury: Creatures and people up to level 6 will attack anything nearby for 30 seconds. Costs 4046 m. (Need Illusion Mastery I)
Calm: Creatures and people up to level 9 won't attack for 30 seconds. Costs 8726 m. (Need Illusion Mastery II)

Alteration:
Candlelight: creates a hovering light above the caster for 60 seconds. Costs 1716. (Need Illusion Mastery I)
Oakflesh: increases the caster's armour rating by 40 points for 180 seconds. Costs 8387 (Need Illusion Mastery I)

Destruction:
Sparks: Lightning that does 8 damage to health and magicka per second, costs 10 m/sec
Lightning Rune: Cast on a nearby surface, it explodes for 53 points of shock damage when an enemy comes near. Costs 17097 m. (Cos we need Destruction Mastery II)

Powers:
Forage: Search the surrounding area for edible plants and useful materials. Only usable outdoors.
Primitive Cooking: lets us cook some basic stuff at a campfire
Scrimshaw: lets us make stuff out of bones
Sense Direction: lets us determine which way we're facing (equipped)
Weathersense: lets us determine weather conditions
Survival Crafting: lets us make some simple survival gear and tools (currently all we can do is recycle our clothes into linen since we have no other materials)
Build Campfire: duh
Harvest Wood: If there are trees around, lets us search for deadwood or chop tree branches (if we have an axe)
Survival Instincts: Helps us detect flora, tinder items, creture movement, and dead bodies
Plus various mod configuration/command powers that aren't really relevant

Inventory:
Weapons:
Iron Greatsword: two-handed, 18 damage, 16 weight, 50 gold
Iron War Axe: one-handed, 10d, 11w, 30g
Pickaxe (2): one-handed, 6d, 9w, 7g
Steel Sword: one-handed, 10d, 10w, 45g (equipped)

Apparel:
Brown Fur Backpack: 5w, 50g, +57 to carrying capacity (equipped)
Blue Robes: Clothing, 2w, 15g, 0 armour, 110 warmth, 54 coverage
Blue Face Mask: Clothing, 0 stats but is enchantable so that's not nothing.
Hide Boots: Light, 2w, 10g, 6a, 12|6 w|c
Hide Bracers: Light, 1w, 10g, 5a, 3|0 w|c
Iron Armour: Heavy, 30w, 125g, 22a, 75|35 w|c
Leather Helmet: Light, 2w, 60g, 12a, 35|45 w|c (equipped)
Relic Hunter Leather Boots: Light, 3w, 40g, 9a, 12|14 w|c (equipped)
Relic Hunter Leather Cuirass: Light, 7w, 200g, 27a, 110|54 w|c (equipped)
Relic Hunter Leather Gloves: Light, 3w, 40g, 9a, 12|14 w|c (equipped)
Silver Garnet Ring: 0.15w, 160g
Silver Ring: 0.1w, 30g (equipped)
Linen Travel Cloak: Clothing, 1.5w, 16g, 0a, 20|20 w|c (equipped)

Food:
Ale (1): .5w, 6g, increases health by 5 points (I assume 3min)
Cabbage (2): 1.25w, 4g
Cooked Leeks (14): .5w, 2g
Cooked Potatoes (9): .5w, 4g
Green Apple (5): .25w, 4g
Nord Mead (2): .5w, 6g, increases stamina by 5 points (3min) and physical damage dealt by 2% (30sec)
Potato (19): .25w, 2g
Raw Chicken Breast (2): 1w, 3g
Sugar (5): .25w, 5g
Waterskin 3/3 (1): 3.5w, 15g
The food generally increases health regeneration or magicka regeneration by 2% or 3% for 2 or 3 hours.

Potions:
Standard Potion of Health (10): .3w, 31g, restore 50 health in 1 second

Ingredients:
Wheat (40): .1w, 1g, effects unknown

Books:
Just quest/information notes and mod information/config books, most without weight or value.
All have been read.

Keys:
Gallery Safehouse Key

Misc:
Small Leather Tent, Bed Roll: 6w, 40g, lets us camp, not as warm as a fur tent but better coverage
Lockpick (40): 2g
Tankard: .5w, 3g
Torch (10): .5w, 2g, good for seeing in caves and hitting flamable things
Empty Waterskin (2): .4w, 15g, each holds up to 3 water.

Active Effects:
Acrobatics (Secondary Skill): 75 less falling damage, 15% faster stamina regen
Charioteer (Steed Birthsign): 10% faster movement
Eleven Supremacy (Racial Bonus): Attaining 100 in a skill increases its effectiveness by 10%
Exposure: Cold (I feel chilly): -10% regen speed (all three)
Fortify Carry Weight (Brown Fur Backpack): +57 carry capacity
Gold and Glass (Racial Bonus): Magicka and Stamina regeneration increase by up to 100% below half. As regeneration increases, armour decreases by up to 50 points and magic resistance by up to 25%
Health Regeneration (Cooked Potatoes): Health regenerates 3% faster for 2 hours (0:5:56 remaining)
Learning Effect (Spell Study Ability): Ability to lean new spells by studying during resting hours.
Nomadic Heritage: 50% disease resistance and unlimited stamina when out of combat.
Shadowmaster (Class: Nightblade): Illusion spells cos 15% less to cast.
Shimmering Threads (Racial Bonus): Weapons and armour are 15% weaker but enchantments on them are 15% stronger.
Varied Diet (Cos we've eaten a variety of foods): Stamina and magicka increased by 8 points.
Well Hydrated (We've had plenty to drink): Time between shouts reduced by 8%, stam and maj regen increased by 8%, sleep is 8% more effective at lowering fatigue.
Wellness (We're managing our needs): Health is increased by 15 points.

Total cwu is +38
Table of Hardships, Luxuries, and cwu stuff in general is at CHIM-elf

Last edited:
This seems like a good plan.

[X][buy] What should I buy?
-[X] Small Tent
-[X] Backpack
-[X] Linen cloak
-[X] Hide helmet

[X][sell] Should I sell anything?
-[X] Sword x1
-[X] Pick x1

[X][shop] Should I look in another shop?
-[X] Apothecary

[X][next] Where should I go next?
-[X] Walk to Riverwood

[X][quest] Should I pick up that message a local wants delivered?
-[X] If its not too far out of the way.

-[X] Sell Bandit loot
-[X] Go to Riverwood
--[X] Foot

Oh I forgot to say +6cwu for the three votes in round 6.
Total cwu is +38
Table of Hardships, Luxuries, and cwu stuff in general is at CHIM-elf

-[X] Sell Bandit loot
-[X] Go to Riverwood
--[X] Foot

-[X] Sell Bandit loot
-[X] Go to Riverwood
--[X] Foot

Why not.

No prize for guessing the outcome :p
+8cwu for votes.

Edit: QTE failed, thanks for participating veekie (below), +1cwu.

Full update will follow.

Mondas, 18 Second Seed, 4E 201
9:08 PM
I have found a clear space beside a convenient campfire opposite the Whiterun stables. There was just enough light from the fire to be able to set up my new tent without too much difficulty. Time to sleep now.

Tirdas, 19 Second Seed, 4E 201
8:18 AM
I slept well without interruptions. I did not rise particularly early, as I am in no great hurry and prefer to get plenty of sleep when practical. (Besides, most of the stores don't open until 8.) I'm think I'm starting to get used to camping again. Now that I've had a drink of water and a bit to eat, and have packed away my tent, it's time to sell some loot.

9:00 AM
I successfully sold the greatsword and armour pieces to Adriannne Avenicci, the blacksmith. She was thankful for the business and told me a little about Whiterun. She mentioned the Jarl's palace and the Companions' mead hall, Jorrvaskr. As I have no particular plans for this morning, I'll take a quick look.

After a good night's rest and reflection on yesterdays' sales, I was able to get slightly better prices. Solid sleep pays off!
(We levelled up Speech when we slept.)

9:09 AM
The street is busy with many people heading out for a day's work. Seeing the local missive board, I decided to see what I could do to help. There are many jobs available, but I just grabbed some simple ones: one to collect raw rabbit legs, one to find iron ore, and another to find a lost iron trident. I can always take more another time.

9:22 AM
I got chatting with a Dunmer mercenary named Janessa, who was leaning against a beam outside Belethor's store. She's a big fan of shadows, and offered to assist me for a modest fee of 500 septims, plus expenses. I'll consider her offer. Another set of hands with a sword or spell may be of great use.

9:27 AM
While I was having a drink of water, a guard warned me not to 'go burning down any buildings' with destruction magic. Suuuure?

I checked the noticeboard in front of the Bannered Mare inn for additional opportunities. There's a bounty on a giant and another on a bandit leader. Not what I'm looking for right now, but I might meet someone who would appreciate those opportunities.

9:51 AM
I took a look at the mead hall, but didn't go in as I have no business there. Some of the Companions were practicing sword work.

I also found the Temple of Kynareth and a shrine to Talos. Not sure now but that got me thinking about magic. I believe I've figured out how to dual cast destruction spells, and I've gained access to a little more magicka.

Hmm, perhaps that guard was right to worry.

10:12 AM
Not much to see in Dragonsreach. Also it's poorly lit. I've had enough of Whiterun for now. Time to move on. It's quite a lovely day for a walk too. After I top up my waterskins, of course.

10:50 AM
I'm still seeking a cheaper water source. I passed some children heard one bullying the other. Children are terrible.

11:12 AM
Some rich fool named Nazeem is bragging to the merchant Ysolda about how he owns a farm. Adults are terrible.

11:50 AM
Well that was a mess. Tired of trying to find a priest to ask for water, I tried filling my waterskins from the decorative water feature.

Now I'm in the Drunken Huntsman boiling the water so it's safe to drink. Hopefully I'll dry off while the water is boiling.

At least it's free. Too bad I only filled up one waterskin. The cold water was rather startling.

Also I accidentally wandered into the guard barracks while I was... distracted.

12:01 PM
Time to get out of the place. I'm imagining people are whispering about 'the adventurer who fell in the pond'.

Last edited:
Back