What the hell is "Fourth Person"? Also, Second person has a place. It's just extremely rare.
According to Wikitionary -- fourth person:
  1. (grammar) A variety of the third person sometimes used for indefinite referents, such as one, as in one shouldn't do that.
  2. (linguistics) grammatical person in some languages distinct from first, second, and third persons, semantically translated by one of them in English. For example, in Ojibwe, it is a variety of the third person used for a secondary, or obviative, third person.
    The man saw the dog as he was leaving. (if he is the third person, or proximate, it refers to the man; if he is the fourth person, or obviative, it refers to the dog)
Although I don't think that's what @RichardWhereat meant.

According to Wikitionary -- fourth person:
  1. (grammar) A variety of the third person sometimes used for indefinite referents, such as one, as in one shouldn't do that.
  2. (linguistics) grammatical person in some languages distinct from first, second, and third persons, semantically translated by one of them in English. For example, in Ojibwe, it is a variety of the third person used for a secondary, or obviative, third person.
    The man saw the dog as he was leaving. (if he is the third person, or proximate, it refers to the man; if he is the fourth person, or obviative, it refers to the dog)
Although I don't think that's what @RichardWhereat meant.
Ok, that makes since. But yeah, I don't think it's what he meant either.

No, that's what I meant. And Quests that use second person are horribly done. Quests that use first or third person are so much better.

Shran and Rachels quarters suddenly got full sensor capacity back and Rachel relaxed back against the bed, resting her head against Shrans shoulder, "Ship?"

"Yes, Rachel?"

"What's our ETA to 'I Love You Too'?" she asked, sounding a bit sleepy.

"Five days, three hours, two minutes and four seconds, Rachel. Why do you ask?"

"…Thinking about what we are going to do then."

"Relax, love," Shran sighed and stroked her hair, "We'll find the rest of the crew and then we'll get to work finding a good system."

"Yeah."

He shifted to frown slightly at her, "What's wrong?"

"…Nothing."

Shran sighed and touched his antenna to her forehead, "Rachel. Please."

She smiled sadly at him, "It's just… it just hit me. We aren't… I wanted to be in Starfleet since I was five, Shran."

"I know," he said and stroked her hair, "We'll be alright."

"…I just feel kinda lost."

He nodded, "…Me too," he admitted quietly, "But we are still flying, there is still that horizon to reach for, the next thing to discover. It will take some adjustment, but…"

Rachel was quiet for a long moment, rolling over and cuddling back against him, "…Yeah," she finally said, "Just not sure how much work there is for us here."

"Vanessa?" Shran asked, glancing up at the ceiling.

"Right now, not much," I admitted, "But when we start to get to work, plenty. There is a reason the crew complement of the Gust class list two engineers and while I can cover those duties, efficiency would suffer. More eyes on matters help, as do more points of view. A lot of the 'day to day' work would be taken by my remotes, but a lot of the higher level work still need to be done."

Shran smiled and nuzzled at the back of her neck, "You know… the fun stuff."

She shivered, "T-there is that."

"As for your specialties, Shran," I continued, "While ship to ship tactical expertise would be of limited use…"

"You mean like on every ship for the least ten years?" he asked.

"…ground assistance and security is going to be very useful," I continued, ignoring his interruption, "As is both of your experience from Starfleet. Almost the entire rest of the crew will be scientists that have never served on a Starship before. There may be… well… some degree of herding needed at times."

Shran nodded, "See love? We'll be more than fine. We just need to get used to it."

Rachel sighed and rolled over, "…Think you may be right. Vanessa, privacy mode."

"Thank you, Rachel," I answered and quickly cut my sensors to their room. While it was good to see that my friends were doing better, I didn't want to see anything more.

Just basic life signs and atmospheric sensors already gave me more information than I really wanted to have.

But then again, it was just part of being a ship and I learned to ignore such things a decade ago.

Shifting course slightly to hit an area of thicker gas to feed my tanks, I scanned space all around. They were right though, this would take a lot of adjustments for everyone involved.

Technically, I could just talk things over with my crew, shift my course and just fly anywhere in the galaxy.

To be honest, I wasn't completely sure what to do with that kind of freedom. I have been told where to fly for my entire existence. Being able to just pick and go was…

It felt strange and if I was to be very honest with myself, I wasn't quite sure how to feel about it.

…It was nice, yes, but… very strange.

I did a small roll just because I could. Nobody would be yelling at me about it. Not that they did before unless you did it in a planetary orbit close to a Starbase where other people could see. Not very dignified.

I could roll as much as I wanted now.

I didn't need to follow Starfleet regulations when outside of a populated system. I could go as fast as I damned well pleased.

Warp 7.5 may be best for subspace, but I had a brand new ship that needed stretching out. Shifting some power around, I moved faster, the warp factor climbing further and further up.

The universe sang around me as I bent it to my will.

Warp Nine.

Warp Nine Point Two. Maximum speed for the Gust class. But that was the normal Gust class, not modified with a Singularity Point Core.

Raising the hertz of my SPC, I dumped more power into my warp drive.

Warp Nine Point Three.

Nine Point Four.

Holding steady at Nine Point Five. I had gone faster in the past, but that was as a much larger ship. Besides, these were brand new engines and I didn't want to overly push them quite yet. Let's just hold this for a couple of hours and then drop back down to normal cruising speed.

Maybe I should tell Rachel that the estimated time of arrival has been adjusted?

…It can wait a bit.

Spacetime sang for me.

AN// Many thanks to kalvasflam for betaing this section and just as big thanks once again for everyone else that's betaed all through this story. This is the last part for now, even if we are going to continue this universe later. Some of you will be happy with the next story, some of you, less so. Next story will be a continuation of New Beginnings. (MLP).

Thanks for reading everyone and I hope you enjoyed.

You know, I so wish the situation blows into the Alliances face. Like those saved become like the Pakleth. As idiotic the Prime Directive can be sometimes it is there for a reason. Aside from that the Alliance shows itself somewhat like the Founders ...

Back