The Fall of the Republic: A tale of Roman Civil Wars

Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

Sextus Pompeius Magnus Pius was the most successful of his famous father's sons. Here however, things take a slightly different twist and his whole life is upended, leading to a different course of the civil wars that led to the fall of the Roman Republic.
Chapter 1: A Mediterranean Cruise
"They'll kill you", she said. She, the woman who could be his sister but who he had to call 'mother'. Sextus looked to the shore, to the soldiers assembled there. It didn't look like a warm welcome, especially not when keeping in mind what he had learned about the decadent rulers of this land. The land from which a gentle breeze blew.

Father, the famous general refused: "Some of my old men are here, they are close to the king. We can't always keep running. I don't want to keep running. That's no real option. No, if we are to win we will need men. And to get men, we need money. And this is where we can find money. Do you see those ships?"

He pointed at the giant war galleys closer to the shore: "those are but a fraction of the wealth of Egypt. They might not be hard soldiers, but they have more gold than anyone else. And their king needs us to hold his throne. And their best soldiers are my men, they will be loyal".

Sextus looked at his father, he had a new fire in him, a fire that had been gone since the battle. So many wars, so much fighting, and that was what it all came down to. A single battle where everything was lost. He knew that they had had to flee, but still, his father hadn't been a man worthy of his reputation. Now, he could see the man he had always admired and nodded. He wanted to say something, but he was already climbing over the side of the ship, down to the fishing boat.

In the distance, men were coming aboard the great warships but Sextus paid it no mind. He heard his father say: "Lucius Septimius, my old comrade. It's good to see you again!"

The man he addressed, a tribune, merely nodded. And without warning, drove his sword into Father. Sextus shouted in shock as one of the Greeks stabbed Father with a dagger before a centurion joined in. He reached for his own sword and ran to leap to his father's defense. Someone grabbed him and he tried to shake himself loose: "No, let me fight!"

In the distance, the warships were turning towards them. Sextus felt his heart sink. They were coming to kill them. Everyone was stunned, incapable of reacting as his father's head was cut off.

With tears in his eyes, heard Pompeia shout: "Turn away! Turn the ship and leave!"

He hated himself. He hated his cowardice. But her words tore through his rage and grief. He clenched his hand around his sword. She was right and he joined her: "Turn! Quickly! They won't spare any of us!"

Gnaeus however turned on them: "Cowards! We can't…"

The ship however turned slowly, even as Sextus saw the Egyptian ships coming closer and closer. He stepped to his sister as his heart raced. She met his eyes and nodded: "I want it to be you. If they board, do it".

He swallowed and nodded as he felt his grip on his sword slacken. His eyes remained fixed on the approaching ships. They were faster. He couldn't bring himself to look at Pompeia, fearing what he would have to do. Gnaeus sat on the deck. Still struck by what had happened. Sextus headed towards him, putting a hand on his shoulder. He couldn't speak. It hurt too much.

Every moment brought them closer. He could see the soldiers, soldiers that they lacked. They only had a few dozen of the most loyal men aboard. Experienced soldiers, but no match for the Egyptians. He heard a call from one of them. In Latin, not even Greek: "Surrender and the king will grant you mercy!"

Pompeia was the one to respond: "Liars! Murderers! Never!"

Her defiance gave him strength and he shook his brother: "Gnaeus. Now is the time to show our spirit! We are Romans, men of virtue. If we die, we die with honour, not in cowardice".

Somehow, his words got through to Gnaeus who rose unsteadily. Sextus smiled at him and continued: "And hey, this way, we don't have to live like brigands but will be part of our father's glory".

At that, Gnaeus laughed and picked up his sword. They were unarmoured, they didn't even have their shields. But to fight to win was laughable. His thoughts of impending death were interrupted by death. There was a shout and he saw 'Mother' crumpling to the deck, bleeding from a wound in her neck as a thin dagger fell from her hand. He turned to his sister, seeing the steel in her eyes.

"Do it", she commanded and stepped closer to him. With a weak hand, Sextus raised his hand. Another look into her eyes and a nod from her gave fresh strength, and he plunged his sword into her chest. She groaned and he held her, feeling her blood soaking into his tunic. It was his deed. Tears flowed freely as she muttered: "T-thank you".

Slowly, he let her down. No more blood came from her wound and he no longer heard her breathing. Still, it was hard to let go. Now, it was Gnaeus' turn to steady him: "Sextus, they're almost here. I want you by my side".

Somehow, he found the courage to rise again, covered in his sister's blood. He looked at his sword. This was not how he had dreamed of first using it. Even in battle against Caesar he hadn't drawn blood. He swallowed, he wanted to swear vengeance but found that he couldn't.

Gnaeus shook him again and a trembling Sextus followed him to the stern, accompanied by their few soldiers. It all went by him in a blur. What did it matter? Pompeia was dead. Father was dead. And soon, the two of them would be dead too. He looked over his shoulder, to his sister's dead body.

"Jupiter", his brother spoke softly before finding more power in his voice, "Janus, Mars, Bellona, Quirines, divine Mares and Lares".

Gnaeus had pulled the back of his tunic up over his head. At any other time Sextus would have seen it as one of his jokes, but he knew all too well what was happening. What he was doing as he continued: "divine Novensiles. I pray to you with reverence and beg to strengthen our people. With this, I devote all enemies and myself to the earth and the Lares".

He raised his sword and somehow, the men cheered. A moment later, the great galley broke into the stern and Gnaus leapt, reaching the enemy's deck. As the Egyptian ship struck deeper, Sextus felt the planks shake beneath but he didn't look. His eyes were on his brother. He fell after mere moments, run through by spears.

Sextus shouldn't have looked at that because that was the moment his ship chose to shatter and he fell into the cold embrace of the sea.

Notes:
In our world, the wind came from the sea and that prevented the Egyptians from pursuing the ship carrying Pompey's family. Here, they get hunted down and slaughtered with all the fun that will entail. This is our POD.

Chapter 2: Relaxing on the beach
"Who is this?", a voice demanded in strangely accented Greek. In return, Sextus only managed a groan. A strong hand shook him.

"He looks like a Roman", another voice added, "and a bloody one at that!"

Somehow, he managed to open an eye while his hand closed around sand. Everything above him was a bright blur, but he could distinguish shapes through the pounding pain in his head.

The first voice came again: "Definitely not a shipwreck then for this boy".

"I heard there was something going on in Pelusium, some foreigners or something like that".

"Help", Sextus managed to croak through his dry throat, "please, water".

Later, he found himself brought to a farmhouse that reminded him of the ones he had seen in Greece, quite different from the villas of Italy. He felt a little clearer in his head as the master of the house looked at him. He was an old man, his back bent with the years: "Tell me, Dumnorix, what have you found here?"

"The boy washed up on the beach. But don't worry, the blood isn't his".

The man turned to Sextus and asked: "So, who are you then, gift of the seas?"

Sextus had thought about it on their way. Or, at least, as much as he could think. Could he tell his saviours who he was? That might just see him handed over to Ptolemaios and butchered like his whole family. He felt ashamed of it, but he didn't want to die.

"My name is Publius Cornelius Sulla, son of the consul and general", he lied, hoping that it didn't show, "I was a captive, taken by Pompeius' men while I made my way to meet up with my father. But luckily, I managed to escape".

"And you took one of them down with you?" his host asked. His eyes had lit up at the mention of his assumed name. He didn't assume he knew the consul, let alone his son. But Sulla was a name few would ever forget. It meant power and wealth.

He nodded, trying to hide the tears that pushed against his dry eyes: "I did. Unfortunately, I didn't get rescued because I fell off the ship. But, tell me, to who do I owe all this kindness?"

"My name is Aischines, and you are welcome here, young man. Now you rest for a bit, you can use it".

He walked off, gesturing his slaves to come with him as Sextus sat on the floor, trying to push the thoughts of Pompeia away while wondering if there had been another way.

His thoughts were broken by voices beyond the door. It was hard to make out what they were saying, but somehow, he managed to get: "… worth it. The queen's camp is close to here, so send Phokion out to her. I'm sure she will have a use for the boy".

Yesterday, being called a boy would have riled him up, but now, that was the least of Sextus' problems. His plan was simple. He wanted to escape. He had to escape. There were men loyal to the Republic still fighting in Africa and even in Spain. All he needed was a way to get there. He needed a ship. But to get that, he needed money. Perhaps he could get this queen to give him some to return home, and then use that to go West?

Sextus didn't run. He didn't even know where he could go. All his hopes rested on convincing this queen, and so, he waited.

Later that day, he had eaten something and felt much better already. Aischines had given him fresh clothes, a tunic that was longer than what he was used to and decorated with green circles around the hems. It was a little too large for him and he assumed that it belonged to his host's son.

He looked up when he heard the hooves of horses, more than one. A little later, Aschines entered, accompanied by several horsemen, clearly soldiers dressed in the Greek fashion. One looked like Aischines and Sextus presumed that he was his son, serving his queen.

"Publius", his host began, "I'm sorry, but it seems better to me if you go with these gentlemen. They will take you to the queen, who can help you".

Sextus smiled at the old man: "Thank you, truly, thank you for your help. When I'm home, I will be sure to send you some compensation for what you have done for me".

At that, Aischines stepped in and kissed him: "No need to thank me, I merely did what any man would do for another".

There was a shine in his eyes that discomforted Sextus. There was something wrong. And then he realized it. Everyone had been murdered by the king's men, not the queen's. And worse, he recalled something about the two of them fighting each other. If the king was with Caesar, it only made sense that the queen would be on the other side and might very well murder him. But, there was no going back now.

"But still, I owe you my gratitude for your hospitality. I will be sure to repay it".

The ride was uneventful, his companions, or as he thought of them, guards, didn't speak much to him. They spoke to each other, but the talk of hunting and girls was something he didn't feel. Not anymore, not with all that had happened occupying his mind. Everyone was dead.

By the time they arrived, the sun was starting to set. It felt good to Sextus, he was used to warm summers, but even later in the year, Egypt was hot. He looked at the Egyptian camp and immediately, it struck him that it was a mess. There were no orderly rows of tents and the defenses seemed shoddily made. The palisade had many gates, too many, and there were men milling about everywhere. And then there was the heart of the camp. A tent, an enormous tent, as large as a villa.

Their small band rode in, not even having to give a password or to show papers. Given the numbers of men, Sextus presumed that the guards didn't know these men in specific. It was an obvious weakness. But even then, it offered little chance for escape.

Slowly, they made their way deeper, through winding roads and not the straight lines that his father had always told him to be vital for a proper defense. He however could see that there were many men, easily more than ten thousand and many horsemen. But even then, one legion would be enough to overtake them all with a sudden attack.

Not that that helped any. He didn't have a legion. Not even a single soldier to follow him. He didn't even have a dagger on him and unlike Gnaeus, he wasn't good with the sword. The thought of his brother having a gladiator teaching him almost brought a smile to his face.

Deeper in the camp, at the giant tent, the soldiers seemed more organized. They were dressed in glittering bronze and even gold, showing the wealth of Egypt. They were armed in the Greek manner, carrying their tall spears and shields covered in gold. However, unlike what he had expected, they didn't look like weaklings, stripped of their strength by luxury. No, there was iron in them, or at least, plenty of muscle.

It was there that his guards dismounted, and he followed them. One approached one of the guards, and a little later, they were joined by an officer in a purple tunic under his finely crafted armour: "So, you want to bring this man before the queen?"

"Yes", Aischises' son nodded, "he's the son of one of the Roman king's generals. My father thought that he could be of use".

It was difficult not to lash out. Caesar? A king. The man certainly wanted it, but he was no king, and if it was up to Sextus, Rome would never suffer another king. Unfortunately, it looked a lot like there would be one soon.

"Good, then come with me, boy", the officer said.

Chapter 3: The Royal Treatment
The inside of the tent was beyond anything Sextus could have imagined. There were drapings of gold-stitched fabrics set with precious stones and the air was heavy with incense and perfumes. It almost felt like entering a temple. But then again, the Egyptians, more than any other people, did worship their royalty as gods.

He held himself with the pride he had been taught even though he felt weak. And not just from his ordeal, it was something in the heavy air. The officer accompanying him said something to a strangely tall servant, a man whose head was as smooth as Alexandrian glass. The man was dressed in fine silk, unbecoming of a man as Sextus saw it. But then again, he had been told that the rulers of this land employed eunuchs in their court. The thought alone made his stomach clench in sympathy. What sort of barbarian did such things to men?

They remained in what Sextus presumed to be some sort of antechamber where countless others passed by them on their way. To and from the queen, or so he presumed. He looked at his companion, and noticing his disgust at some of the servants, all tall and bald men, said: "Are they…"

The officer merely nodded but after a few moments he nodded: "Yes, not men. And definitely not soldiers".

Sextus smiled at that: "I can imagine. There's something off about them".

"There is, but they stay like boys, so that's something at least".

The Roman frowned: "How do you mean?"

At that, the Greek smiled: "You know, for pleasure. Smooth and tight".

Sextus struggled to not go pale at the thought. He knew that men liked boys, but still, it felt wrong. It was wrong. But at least, the cut men couldn't be any less manly for it. Instead of protesting, he nodded: "Makes sense, almost like half-women really".

"All the good parts and none of the bad", came the agreement.

Fortunately for Sextus, relief from the conversation came when a eunuch, he couldn't tell if it was the same one, approached and said: "The queen will see him".

Gladly, Sextus followed him to what might very well be his death. At least he no longer had to worry about insulting the officer, and in a way, death might become a relief all to itself.

They passed through several more chambers before reaching the heart of the royal pavilion. There she sat, dressed in gold and purple, seated on a throne of ivory set with gold and countless gems. Slaves waved cool air at the young woman, scarcely older than Sextus himself and already fighting a war in her own name to win her crown.

The queen herself was striking in her appearance. She seemed pale and had large bulging eyes. It almost seemed like they were emerging from her head. The most striking however was her nose, and overall, Sextus couldn't deny that she was a beautiful if strange woman. She looked at him and when their eyes met, it was hard for Sextus to not look away. The intensity of her eyes seemed to see straight through him.

He didn't bow. He was a Roman and Romans didn't bow to kings or queens, no matter where they were from. Instead, he spoke in Greek: "Thank you, great queen, for receiving me here".

She didn't acknowledge his gratitude, and instead said: "So, you were there when my brother's men killed Pompeius?"

Hearing it mentioned like that, so casually, made Sextus cringe. He pushed it away, hoping that no one had seen it. She continued: "I was told that you are the son of one of Caesar's generals, Publius Cornelius Sulla, and that's where we can be of help to each other. We both want to speak to him to return to our rightful place".

He couldn't help but agree, even if Caesar was the last man he wanted to see. He would either be murdered, or worse, humiliated by having to ask for mercy.

It was then that Cleopatra smiled: "Unless you are not who you claim to be. Pompeius".

Sextus felt the colour drain from his face. How did she know? Instinctively, he took a step back only to feel the strong hands of guards on his shoulders.

"Oh, silly boy", the queen laughed, "when I was in Rome, I had the pleasure of meeting young Publius myself. And he had black hair, whereas you clearly don't".

At that, colour returned to his face. His cheeks burned red as he blushed in shame: "And given that my people told me that only one of Pompeius' sons was found dead, it was only logical. It takes more to deceive a queen than such claims. I just wanted to be sure".

Sextus glanced around. There was no escape, all his plans had fallen apart.

"Take him away, and make sure he doesn't run. When the Romans come, he could be useful to make a deal with them".

His mind racing, Sextus came to a new idea: "I am sorry, great queen, for the deception. But I hope you can understand that travelling under my own name was decidedly unsafe. I however fear that your enemy, your brother, has acted for Caesar, and the tyrant will be sure to reward that. He will be coming here, and with such an enemy, I think that you will be in need of allies. The senators who still fight know me, I could bring their armies to your aid".

All she did in response was smile.

Chapter 4: A stroll by the river
Sextus sighed. He hadn't succeeded in convincing the queen, and now there were chains binding his feet. And worse, his hands were bound behind his back. He couldn't even put an end to it himself, even if he had had the courage. He looked down at his feet. He was a coward and a weakling. Not worthy of his name. His only hope now was that Cleopatra would somehow need him to gain the help of the senators, but that already was a small hope. A very small one even.

It had been days and he heard nothing from his captors, being left alone and chained up in a tent. His face felt itchy, he hadn't shaved since that fateful day. And worse, he couldn't even scratch. That was what was truly driving him crazy. It was keeping him from thinking and planning despite his need for an escape. Any escape.

Finally, his solitude was interrupted for more than just food. Two soldiers entered and one bent down to loosen his feet. Sextus didn't fight. There was no purpose in that. He merely asked: "What's happening?"

In response, the other soldier punched him. He turned with the blow, ensuring that he didn't fall though a deep pain spread through his cheek: "No talking, boy".

For a moment, Sextus imagined slamming his forehead against the soldier's nose but thought better of it. That was bound to end poorly. Instead, he did nothing. The other soldier pushed him, and he walked with the two men, wondering if he was going to be killed, handed over to be killed, or if they were just moving.

As soon as he stepped out of the little tent he had been kept in, he knew his answer. The army was on the move. Tents were being broken up and everywhere soldiers and slaves, and the countless others that his father had told him should be regularly pushed away from the camp were busy.

Walking without sandals was something he rarely did, and definitely not through an army camp. After mere moments, he could feel his feet hurt. And worse, the large shields the soldiers took up when they were outside told him that they were footsoldiers. He would have to walk.

He had never walked such distances. Everything hurt by the end of the first day, and every day that followed only made things worse. For the first time, Sextus felt sorry for the legionaries, although they at least had their sandals. It truly made him appreciate what he had been told about the sandals being the most important equipment for soldiers, more important even than their shields or swords.

His guards didn't talk to him, and he didn't dare to try to strike up conversation again. A large bruise had formed on his face and he didn't want more of them. Not for no gain at least. Sextus merely walked in silence, feeling his skin burn in the sun and his feet tear on the ground. At least they weren't marching south, into the desert. If he had to guess, he would say that they were heading to that greatest of cities, Alexandria.

On the fifth day, there were clouds in the sky above and he muttered his gratitude to the gods. On the sixth, when it began to rain, he felt elated. He was given water, but never enough. And now, as much water as he wanted and something soothing and cooling to his burned skin. A little later though, he started to hate the rain and what it did to the soil. He felt his feet sink into mud and started to feel cold. He had no cloak to keep him warm and knew for a fact that the soldiers wouldn't give him one.

The next day, the rain relented but his throat was sore and throughout the night he had coughed. He cursed himself for his stupidity. Why had he tried to pass himself for someone who could be known by anyone, anyone really, at the court? He hadn't realized that the Egyptian queen had ever been there, but still, she could easily have had advisors who knew Publius. Perhaps even former companions of those traitors who had murdered his father.

Somehow, he missed a step and felt himself stumble, much to the mirth of his guards. He groaned as he fell into the mud. At least, he hoped it was just mud. It was hard to see in the trampled ground. He glared at the two soldiers who seemed to love nothing more than to torment him and as a reward, he received a kick in his side: "What are you looking at, you don't like your transportation, rich boy?"

Sextus couldn't push away his rage, his spite. It was all he had left. That, and the slight hope that he could escape somehow. Alexandria was a certain destination, and if he wasn't immediately handed over to Caesar, he might be able to find a way there. And once he was with friends, he would find these two and make them suffer.

He however didn't say that. He rolled to his back to get up as he said: "I know you don't like me, but your queen wants me for negotiations. And I don't think she looks too kindly on those who harm her plans".

"Get up", the soldier repeated, now kicking his other side, "she might want you alive, but really won't care about a bruise or two".

Before another kick could come Sextus got back up and was rewarded by a hard push, forcing him to continue on his way. Or rather, their way.

Last edited:
Chapter 5: An evening walk
Alexandria was a beautiful and splendorous city. Sextus only regretted that he couldn't see more of it than the inside of the little storeroom in a palace basement where he was being kept. But, at least he hadn't been handed over to Caesar and could rest his feet. His throat was also feeling better, and for that, he was grateful.

What he heard however wasn't making him feel better. He had caught word that the city was under siege and that the Romans were waiting for reinforcements. That already was a big problem even if it confused him. Why would Caesar have joined against his father's murderers? There had to be more going on than he was aware of.

These thoughts were keeping him awake at night when suddenly, the door opened. Sextus looked up, that hadn't happened before. He saw a soldier, fortunately not one he had met before. And behind him more soldiers. Despite the dim light of the lamps, he could see what could only be blood on their swords.

He inhaled deeply and stood up. If these four were to kill him, he wouldn't grant them the satisfaction of begging. They however didn't run him through. Instead, one quickly reached for his chains and began to unlock them while another whispered: "Put this on and come with us".

Another presented a fresh tunic and even armour in the Greek fashion. And not just any, it was sculpted bronze armour like the others. He immediately complied while asking: "Who are you?"

"Men loyal to our country who won't stand for just handing it over to a Roman", the speaker replied, "we can't say more now. The more you know, the greater the risk if this goes wrong and you get captured".

He nodded. The cuirass was a little small, but still, it felt good. And it felt even better to have a sword on his side and sandals on his feet. As soon as he was dressed, the small group went on their way. To his surprise, they didn't go up to make their way out of the palace, but instead went deeper into the basements, making Sextus wonder if this could also be a way to bring in men to kill Caesar and end the war at a stroke.

On their way, they came past several corpses. It looked like someone had tried to hide them, but not thoroughly. There also were more small bands of soldiers and others joining them, some also with blood on their blades, others carrying what he could only assume to be valuables.

"You know how to ride, right?" one of his saviours said and Sextus nodded. "and know how to fight?"

"Yes", he said, making him think of poor Pompeia. He hadn't even been able to avenge her on a single enemy, "I was made military tribune".

The man smiled at that: "Good, then you stay with us. We want to keep you alive, but we will make up the rear to make sure that the important ones escape. They might even thank us later".

Sextus smiled wrily in return. Was this how the soldiers Father had left behind had felt when he had made his escape? It didn't matter. If he got to fight, he could at last proof that he was more than a boy. If he died, he died as a man, not as a coward murdered easily by his enemies.

"My name is Sextus, by the way", he said.

"I know", the man replied, "but I'm Polyperchon. Don't you forget that, Sextos".

A little later they surfaced, and the smell was the first thing telling him where they were. Stables. The smell of manure was unmistakable and reminded him of when he played in the stables of the villa in the Alban hills while his father won great honour for the Republic. There were more men there, and even a few women. He followed Polyperchon to the horses and took one, seeing several dead stablehands from the corner of his eyes. This certainly wasn't a bloodless plan.

A short wait later, it seemed that almost everyone was there and the first soldiers rode off. He counted around a dozen. They were closely followed by a few more, forming a circle around several women and then it was his turn.

It felt good to be in the saddle again and this time at least, running away was the goal instead of the consequence. He carried only a sword and made his way with the others as they left the palace. In the distance, he could see a light burning brightly above the city. He assumed it to be the Pharos and wished he had seen it by daylight. There was so much beauty in the world and he never got to see it.

His focus however was on those in front of him. They galloped through the dark city and several times he saw those few who were out at this time jumping out of the way of the horses. He wanted to know who was responsible for all this but figured that it would be better to ask later.

When the small band reached the city's gates, they were already open and several more men joined the leading group. Passing through it, he saw several more dead men. This time they were Romans. Somehow, he didn't feel sorry for them. They had betrayed the Republic and served a tyrant.

It was then that Sextus heard shouts behind them and over his shoulder he could see soldiers. And not just any soldiers, horsemen. He asked Polyperchon: "Are they with us?"

"Who?", came the response.

"The men behind us".

He saw his new friend going pale and Sextus shouted a warning: "Pursuers! Behind us!"

At that, the leading groups sped up and the young Roman knew what to do. He slowed down and looked again. There weren't too many but he feared that they could easily catch up in the night. He looked at the others who seemed indecisive for a moment and that was when he acted: "With me! We take them and…"

He didn't have time to say much more. The enemy already closed on them and his new companions had barely managed to turn around. He spurred his horse, not knowing what to shout in encouragement. The Greeks with him were the same and wordlessly, they rushed forward.

Fortunately, the street was wide and Sextus steered his horse to pass by one of the enemy as he lashed at another. He barely avoided a spear pointed at him when he felt a sudden resistance to his sword. The suddenness of the blow made him let go but he saw the man he had struck fall when he looked back.

Several others also came through, but it didn't look good. Two of the enemy had fallen, but in trade for three of their own. Getting a closer look as they turned Sextus saw that it was no surprise. These men were giants with long moustaches that told him everything. Gauls. Those blasted barbarians.

And then he realized it. They now were between him and freedom. He switched to Latin, guessing that these men were Caesar's: "We have you outnumbered, there is no dishonour in..."

He couldn't even finish when the Gauls charged at them. He spurred his horse, looking for a way past. One that wouldn't end with him dead or injured. Unfortunately, he was in the middle of his small band and he couldn't fall behind. That would create a weakness. Instead, he

Unfortunately, one of the Gauls had picked him as his target. Sextus saw the spearhead aimed right at him. He tried to weave past but he felt the spear tearing him back. He tried to hold on to the horse but failed and fell.

For a few moments, he was dazed. He shook his head, seeing his horse running away. Clever thing. And more, his companions were running as well. He rose quickly, looking around for the Gauls. There were two more behind him. And worse, one was on the ground with him. Fortunately, the man had a large gash across his face and seemed stunned, his spear having fallen near him. Sextus closed in on him and gave a punch, only then realizing that he had no idea where the man's helmet was. The barbarian fell and Sextus leapt at him, seeing the long sword by his side. He pulled it loose and as the man feebly raised his hands, stabbed right through his throat.

Nearby was another fallen man, trying to crawl up. He was one of his own and Sextus went to help. It was Polyperchon. He had a wound in his leg but still Sextus pulled him up. His friend still had a sword but looked weak.

The Gauls were coming closer. They shouted something in their hideous tongue and Sextus could almost feel the hoofbeats. He needed something. Behind them, near the man he had killed, there was a spear. Sextus ran for it while Polyperchon shouted: "Don't leave me!"

The two horsemen went faster and faster and Sextus ran again, this time the other way.

It was terrifying. He saw the horse coming at Polyperchon without any real shelter. He shouted, somehow still running despite all of his instincts. The horse swerved and he breathed in relief only to see the second horseman coming. With all his strength, he threw the spear and the Gaul fell. The horse seemed confused and slowed down which allowed Sextus to grab the reins. He looked at Polyperchon: "Can you climb on?"

The Greek groaned but with some help from Sextus, he managed to climb onto the horse. The last Gaul was nowhere to be seen and Sextus heard groaning from the fallen one. Afraid that more would be coming he didn't go for the fallen man and instead said: "Go. I'll catch up later".

A horse, even one the size of the Gallic warhorse, wouldn't be able to carry both of them. Not far enough. Sextus would have to find another way to escape. His friend however disagreed: "The other horses are here somewhere. You go to the gate, I'll get back to you as soon as I've found one".

Chapter 6
The sun was already up by the time Sextus and Polyperchon caught up to the others. The couldn't go as fast as they wanted to because of the Greek's injury. Even in the sunlight he looked pale. He hadn't said much since they had left Alexandria, only saying that they were going to the east, to meet up with the army. Sextus could only guess that it was Ptolemaios' army, given that the queen was with Caesar now. How else would she have Gauls in the city?

Unless she herself was breaking away from Caesar somehow, which could well be. The man wasn't known to be decent with women. He knew that he couldn't trust her, and what she had done to him still made him fume inside. But at least she hadn't murdered his father, his brother, and forced him to kill his own sister. He could never fight for Ptolemaios, that would only bring the greatest disgrace. No man could fight for his father's murderer.

He considered running away. It would be easy enough. Polyperchon couldn't pursue him, he lacked the strength. And then all Sextus had to do would be to find a ship and go west. If the men there hadn't given up their fight already. But he didn't. He couldn't. He owed it to Polyperchon. And, of course, he had no idea how to even get to the west.

The others weren't slowing down much, but Sextus and Polyperchon had pushed their horses harder. The others had seen who they were and hadn't moved to engage, although one man shouted in a high-pitched voice: "Where's the rest?"

"They died!", Sextus returned before realizing that me man was no man but another of those awful eunuchs. "But we got rid of the first pursuers. More will be following though!"

"How many?", another asked, a girl. A girl wearing a simple cloak, but on her arm, he could see purple. Royal purple. She looked like the queen, but younger. And heavier too.

"I don't know, but there were half a dozen against us".

"But how many behind you?" she pressed.

"I don't know", Sextus was forced to confess, "but I'd guess as many horsemen as they can muster".

The eunuch responded: "Your majesty, your sister has at most three hundred horsemen and a hundred of the Roman's gauls".

"More than enough to hunt us down then", the girl replied. "Unfortunate that you couldn't kill all of them".

She laughed and Sextus joined her: "For that I'm sorry. But I'll gladly give it another try".

The girl who he assumed to be some princess turned back to the eunuch: "And this is our Roman?"

"Yes, your majesty".

"Good that he didn't get himself killed then. Why was he in the rear?"

"He could hold a sword, your majesty", came the response, "and we didn't have many men with us".

"At least he's not a coward then", she replied icily before returning to Sextus: "I'm sorry about your father, and I hope you won't blame me for it".

Sextus felt his throat block and rode up, coming up next to the girl. He hadn't thought about those awful moments since the escape. Not like this at least. He felt tears pushing against his eyes and tried everything he could to push them back. He swallowed: "Thank you. And no, I won't blame someone who had no hand in it".

"It was stupid", she replied, "what my brother did. Truly stupid. Unfortunately, I need him for now".

Sextus felt himself go pale. It was unavoidable, but now it was real. They were going to see his father's murderer. She seemed not to notice: "I want Alexandria and the rest of the country, and that means war. My brother has an army and I'm going to take charge of it. And you're going to be there with me. You know how the Romans fight, better than most men here".

"You, you want me to fight for my father's murderer?"

"I want you to fight for me, for the woman who saved you. And my brother is just a child, he didn't choose to do anything. He merely had the wrong men around himself, men that we'll be removing to let me have my throne".

He took several deep breaths. What choice did he have? And at least he could fight Caesar: "And what do you want me to do?"

"I want you with me. I need men willing to drive in the sword. And men I know won't betray me to Caesar. I don't yet know what to do with you, but I think that there will be some troops for you to command and to prove yourself".

It went beyond what Sextus had expected and he felt his spirits rise. He could do that, he was born to command. Perhaps not an army, at first, but this could win glory that would lead to that. If only Caesar could be removed. Then he could follow the path set by his father. "Thank you, I will not fail you".

"Good", the would-be queen laughed, "I'll keep my eye on you".

Chapter 7
It was the second time that Sextus had entered the encampment of an Egyptian army, and his impression remained the same. It was an unorganized mess. He feared that it would be a disaster to go up against Romans, let alone the ones who had managed to defeat his father's legions. He guessed that the armies had been about evenly matched between king and queen, and now Caesar was there with his legion.

Being told that it was only a single one came as a relief. But at the same time, that meant that more veteran legions could arrive at any moment. And that meant one thing. They needed speed. Speed that he didn't see these decadents move with judging by his earlier march.

Inside the camp, not outside, as Sextus had expected, they were met by more horsemen led by a tall man in gilded armour. He clearly wasn't the king, judging by his beard. No, this was a grown man, a general then. Probably this Achillas he had been told about. A moment later, he took off his helmet and Sextus recognized him. He was one of his father's murderers. He clenched his teeth, he had to bear this for now.

To his surprise, Ganymedes, the eunuch, rode out from their little band while Sextus remained next to Arsinoe. She didn't seem nervous or scared at all, although he could see a deep annoyance in her large eyes. He met them as his hand drifted down to the Gallic sword he had taken as a trophy. She lightly shook her head and he nodded. It was a relief, that could easily have turned into a disaster, but that murderer would die. There was no way he would ever fight under his command.

It was then that Ganymedes spoke up: "Men! Loyal servants of our true king! Your queen has come to you to take up the regency! She is the chosen one of the gods and the mistress of these lands! Allow me to present to you, the queen, Arsinoe!"

At that, Arsinoe rode forward. The short plumb girl sat straight but despite her rich clothing and pride she didn't seem like the true queen. Sextus' eyes narrowed on Achillas. He didn't look back at the Roman, his eyes were focused on the queen and contained a deep hatred. Sextus knew all too well that he was a vile murderer and wouldn't hesitate to murder Arsinoe as well, if it meant greater power for himself.

The soldier however didn't move like that. Instead, he bowed his head: "Great queen! I speak for all your faithful men here when I saw how glad we are to receive you here, free from the enemy who still occupy our proudest city. And worse, they hold our beloved king".

That was unexpected. Sextus had thought that Ptolemaios would be with the army. But then again, he had been told that he and Cleopatra had tried to work out some sort of deal with Caesar. It showed that he couldn't be trusted at all. And obviously, Caesar wouldn't kill him as a reward for murdering his family.

However, the problem of the actual murderers remained. Not killing them was no option. That would bring far too much shame. He could already imagine the gossip in Rome. No, he had to act. Only not now.

Arsinoe spoke up at last. She spoke louder than Sextus had ever heard her but with her usual confidence. He assumed that that was unavoidable when raised like she was: "Friends! My loyal subjects! We are here to free our beloved country from foreign oppressors".

Her words distracted Sextus from his dark thoughts and almost made him laugh. As far as he knew the Greeks remained foreigners. While travelling, Arsinoe hadn't even been able to understand her own Egyptian subjects. He however didn't smile as she continued: "We have a war to fight. A great war, but one that we will win no matter how much blood, how much sweat, and how many tears. We will stand victorious as is our due. I am the heiress of Alexander himself and in my name, you will conquer all! And more, you will be rewarded as loyal servants deserve to be. Your love for me will not go unrewarded".

At that last bit the soldiers cheered. Oh how simple they were. It was like his father had said in one of his darker moods after the battle. Most soldiers didn't care for honour, glory, or loyalty. Only for the glitter of gold and other rewards. He had dismissed it then, but now he could see it all too clearly.

But then again, these were Greeks and Egyptians. Not Romans, not true men. Ganymedes then said something that Sextus couldn't catch but a little later, Arsinoe, the eunuch, and what looked like the leading generals gathered and dismounted. Sextus followed their lead and joined them. Ganymedes turned to him: "Sextus, if you will, there is a force of Roman soldiers in this camp as well. I was told that they have served with your father and I would ask you to take command over them. It appears that their own officers can't be trusted".

Sextus nodded despite the implications. He knew well enough which men had fought for his father and they clearly weren't men he ever hoped to see except with blood gushing from wounds he himself had inflicted. There however was little choice and he replied: "I will, for greater justice".

Chapter 8
The men were a disaster. That was the first thing Sextus thought when he saw them. They were all grown men, veterans of years of service. With one issue. They hadn't been led properly and it was clear enough that they had slacked off to the luxuries of the east. Their tunics looked slovenly and even their part of the camp was poorly ordered. But at least, they were there. Counting their banners gave him thirty centuries. More than he expected Caesar to have.

Others didn't look as well-fed but everything about them seemed to indicate that they were more like bandits and ruffians. Also not the kinds of men that he could truly trust on the battlefield. These however were his men. Their centurions had drawn them up as they should, but the formations were sloppy.

It wouldn't do. It however wasn't something Sextus could change now. At least their old leaders had been executed by Caesar. He presumed that it was to hide that the orders had come from him.

Sextus looked over them and caught their own looks. He went without helmet, hoping to draw some sympathy from his resemblance to his father. He wished he had his old armour, to call them closer to Rome. But he didn't.

"Men!", he began, glad for his training in oratory that he had once found nonsensical, "I am Sextus Pompeius Magnus Pius, son of the great general".

At that, he saw a shiver going through some of them, although others almost seemed relieved. "We've all had different paths, but they all led us here. The queen of this land, Arsinoe, the daughter of Ptolemaios, the son of Ptolemaios, and I guess you'll forgive me for not going through her whole ancestry, has seen fit to ask me to lead you in the coming struggle!"

The reaction wasn't quite what Sextus had hoped for. There were no cheers for one. Or much of a reaction. He could only see some of the soldiers leaning towards each other and whispering something. It was all inaudible, but he knew well enough what they would be saying. He felt his heart racing, he was losing them, and with them, his one chance.

"But, no one cares for that!", he tried, trying to hide his desperation. That at least seemed to draw some attention back to himself. "What we're going to do is much simpler. Those men, the ones occupying Alexandria, they carry with them the loot and riches of their campaigns. And we're going to relief them of it. As well as any other fool who stands between us and it!"

That got him a reaction. Still no cheers, but at least there were some smiles. And most importantly, less talking.

A little later, he had gone off with their leaders. There were no more legates with these troops, the last few had gone to Alexandria to treat with Caesar and to receive their rewards, leaving only the foremost centurions. The men who were the backbone of any strong unit. Only, Sextus had to admit to himself, these weren't what he had seen in his father's army. Those soldiers might have been raw recruits, but the centurions had been veterans of countless campaigns all over the world Solid, hard-bitten men.

Not men like these. Half of them weren't just a little heavier from enjoying good rations, no, they clearly had regular banquets. And not moderate ones. And then there were the drunks. Out of the eight who had been gathered, two had the whiff of alcohol about them. Drinking, even at this hour and on a campaign. He wondered what the men would be like.

Their leader, who Sextus presumed to be the camp prefect, and not one of the thinner men, was the first to speak: "Welcome, tribune. I want to say that I'm deeply sorry for your father's demise. I fought under him against Mithradates and it is an honour to welcome you here".

"Thank you", Sextus said, remembering that similar men had been the ones to slay his father. And Achillas, who he had to find a way to deal with. "I am glad to be with my countrymen again as we endeavour for justice. Although, of course, riches are something as well".

That only got him some grins this time and Sextus continued: "But all that is for later. For now, we have to win. Our enemy isn't likely to just let us go, so it's victory or death".

"You can say that again", one of the centurions added. He actually looked like a soldier, "He even executed our tribunes for killing Pompeius, which was in his interest".

Sextus had heard about that, but it seemed strange. He guessed that he had wanted his father, and the rest of the family, alive. To put on display in all likelihood. Nothing showed power as much as keeping defeated enemies and showing them off.

"Indeed. We are dealing with a merciless tyrant who will stop at nothing. And we are going to cut him out. He has only a few men with him, and the queen told me that his local allies have mostly been sent home and won't be returning quickly. That gives us a great opportunity to take Alexandria and to end this threat to the Republic. It will make all of us heroes".

"And rich", another centurion added to Sextus. Now everyone laughed, even Sextus forced himself to join in.

"Good, but first things first. We will have to march on Alexandria. I don't know to what extent we can trust the Egyptians to fight hard, so it's most important that we are organized and strong. So, tell me, what do we have available?"

Chapter 9
The very next day, at Arsinoe's urging, the army had set off. Some of the generals had wanted to wait a little longer to put everything into order, but the queen had demanded immediate action, believing that speed was of the essence to prevent Caesar from receiving reinforcements. There had also been plenty of discussion about the marching order, but in the end, Sextus found himself and the men who were now his at the front of the march, just behind lighter scouts.

He was happy with that. Lucius Terentianus, the camp prefect, had been happy too, claiming that marching in the rear always meant a mess that he would rather avoid. The only problem was that if Caesar came out, it would be up to them to hold them off for long enough to let the rest of the army come to their aid.

Sextus himself rode at the front of his men, followed by his standards. He was lost in thought, considering making them a formal legion of their own. Once they had won, that should be easy enough. But there was one difficulty. He was only a tribune, and he feared that it would be hard to have such actions ratified. But then again, if he could defeat Caesar here and put the tyrannical murderer to death, he would be the saviour of the city. He would be certain to have an exception and to be elected to the consulate far before his year.

The thought brought a smile to his face. But, strangely enough, he felt a mild regret at the thought of leaving this land behind, the land that had taken his family and seen him humiliated beyond anything he had ever feared.

He was shaken by his thoughts when one of the scouts approached, seemingly in a hurry. Immediately, Sextus sat upright and spurred his horse to ask: "You there! What's happening?"

"The enemy!" the man replied, "we saw them, marching up from the south".

From the south? That meant that they were reinforcements. Cleopatra's reinforcements. "How many?"

"I'm not sure, but it was a strong column, with horse and footmen".

"Any idea?", Sextus asked in turn, "a few hundred, thousands, or more even?"

"I don't know, we were driven off by their horse before we could see much".

"Thank you", he replied before calling over some of the light horse ahead to pass his message to the rest of the army and particularly Demetrios' klerurchs behind his own formation. Polyperchon was with them, but more importantly, he guessed that he would need them.

Orders were easy to pass along and as soon as they could, the Roman force turned to the left, heading south. Sextus wouldn't let his opportunity for glory pass. And aside from that, he feared that too many reinforcements to Alexandria would make taking it nearly impossible. No, it would be much better to cut them off first.

Something about the soldiers under his command changed when the news spread through the ranks. They weren't just marching on a city; they were marching on an army. Sextus felt pure excitement from the idea. It would be battle, his first one. Younger even than when his father had first led an army.

All that changed when he actually saw them. The enemy commander had clearly known that something was going on and had drawn up his men in a line, opposite Sextus' own. He had seen his own cohorts before, he had even seen armies. But to look at the army he had to defeat on this day made his courage melt. There were thousands of them. Demetrios was still bringing his horse into position on the flanks, but the enemy had its own. Hundreds of horsemen in glittering armour. And then there was the true strength of the army. On the left they were armed differently, even from this distance Sextus could see that. Their tall spears were unmistakable.

But more worrying than any of that was what he saw advancing on his own forces. He had lacked the men to put them into three lines and so there were only two, with him on his horse behind them all. The enemy wasn't coming as one force. No, there were lightly armed men coming on, and a little later, he could make them out to be slingers. A command had the legionaries raising their shields, but Sextus was worried. Without anything in the way of archers or slingers, the Romans lacked a way to strike back.

The thought brought him memories of what had happened to Crassus. He couldn't just remain standing, and falling back to wait for more forces would be worse. It would cost him his glory. And so, Sextus saw only one choice.

He dismounted and headed to the century directly in front of him, taking his place between them while the horns sounded the advance. If he couldn't stand back, he would attack like Miltiades had struck the Medes.

When a man fell close to him, struck by one of the slingers Sextus took his shield. Any protection was welcome against them. But despite the danger, the Romans walked at a brisk pace. Faster than would be wise with an enemy capable of striking them. A bullet struck his shield, breaking through. He could see the point sticking out from between the wood. He swallowed, a little higher and that would have been his skull.

Looking past the first line Sextus saw that they were closer now to the slingers who were running backwards. And behind them, he could see the long spears of the heavy infantry.

"Charge!", Sextus shouted, not wanting to give the enemy a chance to react. He ran and the others came with him. More soldiers charged ahead and much to his relief, the slingers were stuck between the phalanx and his own onrushing men. Pila were cast, but more importantly, slingers tried to escape the oncoming danger, pushing themselves between the phalangites. Some pushed back, and a few slingers were even killed. Others however let their comrades through, creating exactly what Sextus had hoped for.

The Romans held their shields close for those last moments and let out a roar. Sextus felt stronger from the sight of the wavering enemy and using one such opportunity, he and a few others rushed into one such opening, and as he closed on the enemy, they saw no way to strike back. Before he could fully close the distance, they were already backing away, bumping into the men behind them.

They however were too slow and Sextus stabbed, imagining that the man was one of his guards during his captivity. He fell and before Sextus could go for the man behind him, he turned, as did the men behind him. He stepped up and ran him through from behind. By then, it was over. The enemy ran. His men cheered and pursued, but to his left, there was still fighting going on. Sextus shouted: "With me!"

Some of the soldiers followed him and centurions brought on more. Whistles were blown, trying to get the men back into formation and that's when he realized it, the horsemen. The enemy had plenty. Where had they gone?

Dust in the distance told him all he needed to. They had shown their courage all too well. But the heart of the enemy still resisted. Or rather, they saw no escape. Before Sextus could even reach them, the first were raising their shields in surrender. He ran forward, not wanting a slaughter. No, this would be a much better gift for the queen: "Spare them!"

Note: this is my first ever attempt at a battle scene. Fortunately for Sextus, it was a quick battle where shock could deliver victory. In the future, things won't be that easy.

Chapter 10
After the battle, Sextus had had to give his men some rest, having built his camp close to the field. They had been happy to loot the enemy dead, and more, their camp. The first of the riches that he had promised them. He himself stood there, accompanied by only a few of his men. It wasn't a pretty sight. There were dead men. That was something he could ignore. But the wounded were different. He had had all of his wounded carried off the field, improvising a hospital for them in the camp. Many wouldn't live, but that was the price of war.

The enemy were left in the field, with those too badly wounded put to death. No one had come forward to ask for their bodies. And so, the captives were busy now. Some were digging a ditch, and others worked on something else entirely. Sextus looked at it. It felt good, building a burial mound for the hundred and sixty-nine who had fallen, and whoever died afterwards. It was to become shaped like a small pyramid.

"You won". A woman stated from behind him.

Immediately Sextus turned around, recognizing the voice as coming from Arsinoe. He smiled, feeling relieved to see her. She was on horseback and when she dismounted, his eyes were drawn to a strange contraption on the horse's side. There was some sort of metal hoop that the queen used to hold her foot in as she dismounted. Sextus guessed that she also had it while she rode.

She got down unaided, something he hadn't expected. When they had ridden from Alexandria she always had her eunuch or another servant help her. He however couldn't focus on that and replied: "Yes, we have defeated the traitors. Based on what we know now, there were some four thousand of them. Their horsemen escaped, of course, but we captured most of the footsoldiers".

"How many did you capture?"

Sextus thought for a moment: "Twenty-three hundred and thirteen, although there are injured of course".

"Good", she smiled, "I can use them. Even though they fought for my sister I'm sure that we can get them to fight for me instead. At least, I hope you didn't promise your men that you would sell them?"

"No", Sextus shook his head, "they remain your people".

She walked towards the ditch for the enemy dead and Sextus followed: "Those are some of the prisoners. I put them to work burying the dead".

"I know, and I want to see them", Arsinoe replied, "I want to see the men killed by my war".

"Of course", Sextus said, walking with her. The field wasn't clean. There were broken weapons and there had been no rain to wash away the blood. But at least the bodies had been carried off, piled up near the ditch. And stripped of anything valuable of course. That left most of the bodies naked.

When they approached, some of the captives noticed the queen, and seeing her diadem, they stopped their work and bowed. That made Arsinoe smile more widely and Sextus felt relieved at her happiness.

To is surprise, she said to them: "it saddens me to see that you marched for the false queen and the foreigners, but I forgive you. I forgive all of you".

At that, they didn't merely keep their bow. They went to their knees and bowed fully, like what Sextus had imagined would be the worship of some eastern despot. But, come to think of it, Arsinoe was an eastern despotess. But despite that, it was hard to keep his eyes off her.

The captives gladly swore everlasting loyalty to her, which was something Sextus didn't entirely trust. They had probably sworn exactly the same to her sister and would do so to anyone else claiming the throne and holding their lives in their hands.

When they walked off, she remarked: "It's beautiful, isn't it?"

"What do you mean?"

"The dead with all their wounds. It's a pretty sight. I wonder what it would have looked like on the field, when it was done", she said it with a smile and a sincere look in her eyes that stunned Sextus for a moment.

He however managed to recover, she must have meant that she liked that her forces had been victorious. These men after all were fighting for her sister who would just have her murdered. It must have been that relief, nothing dark. He couldn't imagine that from a girl like her.

"Yes, I'm happy that we could win this victory".

"As am I", she said, "it helps the morale of the army. To know that we can win. Although it would have been better if Egyptian arms had won, and not just against their countrymen, but against Romans".

"I'm sorry for that", Sextus smiled, "and the next time, I'll try to be bested by the most ancient people".

She laughed and he joined her. They walked further, away from the site of the slaughter of the previous day. There were farms nearby, but the farmers had fled or hidden themselves. That was only to be expected. They had actually fought over some of the lands the other day. They still were muddy from the withdrawing river, and soon enough, they would be seeded.

For now though, the two just walked there. He asked: "Have you ever walked through the mud like this before?"

"Yes", she replied, before she corrected herself: "I mean, no. I've never. No one would let me".

She laughed and a blush formed on her face. Sextus laughed with her: "then here you are, the queen of Egypt and the wealthiest woman in the world with mud in her sandals".

"Hey! I'm not alone you know!", she exclaimed and to his surprise, she gave him a push. Sextus wasn't prepared for it. He fell. His first instinct was to kick the queen's legs out from under her, but before he could, he saw the bodyguards close behind and managed to stop himself.

She laughed as he fell into the mud while he looked up at her. He touched his foot against her leg and replied with a laugh: "Stop laughing or you'll be down here with me!"

Arsinoe laughed even harder.

Notes: in my defence, these two are both teenagers so I figured I'd put in a bit of silliness as well.

Chapter 11
Lucius Terentianus had been right about marching in the rear of a column, Sextus thought to himself. While his men had fought against Cleopatra's reinforcements the majority of the army had marched on. Only the horsemen who had helped him hadn't been part of it, but they were back to the front, to support the army should anyone need them. He now was in the rear of the long column. And he hated it.

It wasn't just the dust, or the endless dung and worse from the rest of the army. There was the ground that should have been a road but that was turned into little better than muck with the army's passing. Even the great roads leading to Rome itself would have been a disaster after such an army passed them, and this road wasn't built like that. Sextus resolved to talk to Arsinoe about it.

Immediately, she came back to his mind. It was hard not to think about the girl-queen, but Sextus at least tried. The thing was, there wasn't much to do while just riding along. In the distance, he could already see Alexandria. Or rather, the famous Pharos. The lighthouse that was now guiding them to the city. He glanced at the sun. The front of the army would already be making camp, and he guessed that they would reach the city the next day.

At least, if Caesar didn't do something first.

Nothing happened throughout the rest of the day and the Romans erected their camp. Some measure of disciple was returning and Sextus was happy to see that it was fortified better than the rest of the camp at least. It wasn't properly ordered and there were too many hangers-on for his taste, but at least it was something.

After a brief meeting with Terentianus and the senior centurions to discuss the state of the forces that Sextus was starting to consider his legion. If they could take the city, he might even ask to have an eagle made for them.

As soon as the camp was in order and the affairs of the day were dealt with, Sextus headed into the rest of the camp to seek out Arsinoe. He had gone on foot, if only because he could feel his rear from being on horseback all day and even considered walking the next one. Out of solidarity with his men of course, not to spare his legs and behind, obviously.

Before he could reach her however, a slave approached. The man was well-dressed, clearly not belonging to a simple soldier: "O brave Sextus Pompeius? My master, Achillas, requests that you see him".

Sextus nodded, fearing what was to happen. He should have listened to his men and have taken at least a small bodyguard. He looked around, seeing several men close by. Soldiers, but he couldn't be sure that they were Achillas'.

The soldiers didn't follow, as far as Sextus could tell, but he allowed the slave to bring him to a large tent, Achillas'. There were soldiers posted outside, the general's own horsemen who had been positioned there as guards. When he entered, he didn't only see Achillas, but also several of the other generals. Almost all of them in fact. Only Ganymedes seemed to be missing, something Sextus felt relieved at. The eunuch made his skin crawl.

Achillas nodded to him: "Ah, Sextus! It's great that you're here to join us as well!"

The others greeted him as well and Sextus asked: "So, what brings all of us here".

"As you know", Achillas began, "we are the leading men in this army".

The barb at Ganymedes was obvious and they all laughed. Even Sextus joined in, trying to hide his loathing for his father's murderer. After a few moments, Achillas continued: "and as such, we have to look at our future. Right now, we're fighting for a girl, who can't ever hold the throne while the king, the last man of Ptolemaios' line and the last true heir of Alexander is being held hostage by foreigners. Through contacts within the city, I've heard that Cleopatra is willing to trade him for his sister, freeing us from being led by a woman and letting us rid ourselves of the eunuch in one go!"

Everyone seemed to be in favour and Sextus joined in their approval. He hated every moment of it. Another betrayal, led by the worst betrayer of them all. He however couldn't just let this happen and so, he spoke up: "Yes. But I fear that if your men move to apprehend the queen, it would be seen as a betrayal by many of the soldiers and weaken morale. It might seem as though you submit to Cleopatra. Let me do it. I can make that move and take Arsinoe to be traded for her brother. Men should always be led by men. Or by a boy. And besides, we will have her returned when we've taken the city. We however can't risk the king's death".

"So you offer your men for this task?", Demetrios asked, a hint of uncertainty in his voice.

"Yes, I do. But I can't march all of them in. Someone has to remove Ganymedes at the same time or he could rally men to disrupt everything", Sextus turned to Achillas, "You have the greatest authority. You can seize and kill the eunuch while I secure Arsinoe".

So, out of curiosity, what was the original history at this point? Trying to figure out just how far things have diverged.

Although I wouldn't say I'd like Sextus or Arsinoe's chances against Julius Caesar or Cleopatra.

And if Caesar was pissed historically at what happened to Pompey, he must have been absolutely livid when he found out the fates of Pompey's children.

So, out of curiosity, what was the original history at this point? Trying to figure out just how far things have diverged.

Although I wouldn't say I'd like Sextus or Arsinoe's chances against Julius Caesar or Cleopatra.

And if Caesar was pissed historically at what happened to Pompey, he must have been absolutely livid when he found out the fates of Pompey's children.

In our history, Pompeius' family managed to escape safely and headed West, away from Egypt. There still was a major war going on and Arsinoe did escape Alexandria (even though some dates and the like are different. I also couldn't find out how she escaped, so there's that). The difference in timing has also allowed Cleopatra to call some reinforcements to the city which Sextus now fought. OTL they remained cut off and didn't really contribute at that point (according to Caesar who had his reasons to not want to mention too many local forces when he could).

From there, Ganymedes led Arsinoe's army against Alexandria and brought Caesar to the brink of defeat. During this, Arsinoe was traded for Ptolemy, although it went down a bit differently. Caesar war relieved by Mithradates of Pontus who brought a serious army. Ganymedes was murdered by Achillas and Ptolemy who then fought Caesar at the Battle of the Nile, where Achillas almost managed to win in one of Caesar's hardest-fought battles. The Egyptians however broke and Ptolemy drowned trying to escape over the Nile, ending Caesar's Alexandrian war. After which he stuck around for a couple of months despite the ongoing civil war. But then again, he did meet a special someone...

Chapter 12
As with every conspiracy, the true events happened in the dark. Sextus had gathered two full cohorts under the most reliable men while the rest were told to hold the camp and wait for his sign. Particularly, these were the cohorts that had fought the closest to Sextus. He knew that he couldn't fully trust them, but it was better than taking just anyone. He wished he had had more time to get to know the soldiers.

But still, they marched into the main encampment. There were more signs of activity, but most of the soldiers didn't really seem to know anything. There also was no one stopping him and his legionaries as they made their way to Arsinoe's tent. He wished he could have warned her in advance, but that would have given everything away.

The royal guards were in position however, and Sextus felt relief when they readied themselves to fight, even against his greater force. He stepped forward, recognizing one of the men who had been there when he had gone on a walk with Arsinoe: "Please, friend, tell the queen that I'm here for her and that she should come at once".

"Why?", the man asked.

Before he could say more Sextus continued: "Because there is a plan at work to take her prisoner, by her own generals. I'm here to ensure her safety, but she can't stay here".

"And how do I know that you're not here to betray the queen?"

"Because, if I wanted to, I could have all of you killed and just take her by force. So go in and tell her that I'm here for her", he replied, his hand drifting to the dagger Lucius Terentianus had given him. A dagger the man had used in his father's service.

With that, the soldier went off. The Roman centuries in the meantime were taking up positions around the tent to make escape impossible. Sextus felt a deep shame inside, he wished it had been different, but couldn't show a hint of doubt. Not now. He waited, listening for any sounds but barely hearing anything. Quintus Labienus, the leading centurion of the second cohort, approached: "Tribune. Is she coming?"

Pushing his doubts away, Sextus replied: "She is. Which means that we will be taking off from here soon to meet with Achillas".

Before more could be asked, the queen emerged. Sextus couldn't help but smile when he saw her and more importantly, she smiled at him. But then she asked: "Sextus, what is happening?"

He felt his heart sink. Treachery. That was what was happening. No, not what was happening. What he was doing. He met Arsinoe's eyes and felt a fresh strength rise up in his heart: "The generals have decided to trade you for your brother".

Arsinoe's rage was impossible to miss. But despite that, she said nothing. She just glared at Sextus.

A little later, they arrived at Achillas' tent. His men were there, as were almost all the generals. And a head. Ganymedes'. At that sight, colour drained from Arsinoe's already pale cheeks and her large eyes widened. Achillas turned to them and smiled: "Thank you, good friend, now we can have this over with and deal with this war like men".

"Absolutely", Sextus returned the smile and stepped forward. To his surprise, Achillas hugged him, seemingly thinking that all was forgiven. That only made it easier.

Sextus returned the hug, his free hand drifting down. He looked into Achillas' eyes, the man seemed truly happy. And then, with his first sudden movement, Sextus drove his dagger into his father's murderer. Achillas' eyes widened in shock and he gasped. But before he could say more Sextus pushed him back: "Die, traitor!"

He stepped forward to stab the general again, he couldn't reach his heart through his armour, but he didn't have to. The younger man's rage let him drive in the dagger time and time again before Achillas fell.

Only then did Sextus look up to see the shocked looks on the other generals' faces. He called out: "Like Orestes slaying the treacherous Aegisthus, I avenge my father's blood! And in doing so, destroy those who would bring shame to the rightful heiress! Now, bow to your queen so we know who the true servants are, and who stand in treachery!"

At his feet, Achillas groaned and tried to crawl away. He reached out for help, but no one moved beyond going to their knees in the eastern way. To kneel before a queen who finally spoke up: "Let this be clear, I will not allow any such treachery. My tutor's been murdered, but I have no more need of him. What I need is men who are loyal. So, this is my command. Each of you is to cut Achillas, but not to deal a mortal wound. I want his pain, and you will give it to me".

Sextus looked at her and caught her eye. She enjoyed it.

Chapter 13
Much to Sextus' surprise, everything went smoothly once Achillas was dead. The generals seemed to be cowed, and more importantly, Arsinoe had made him the commander of the army. That however didn't mean that he wasn't exhausted. Even things running smoothly took up the whole night, and he felt like he was one of the few in the whole camp who didn't get any sleep.

Arsinoe clearly had had her sleep. He could see that all too clearly in how she rode towards him, accompanied by her guards. She smiled widely and slowed down next to him. Again, his eyes were drawn to the strange hoops around her feet, hanging from the saddle. He wondered what purpose they served. But before he could think more about that, she said: "It's a beautiful morning, isn't it?"

"It is", Sextus agreed, "we will be at the city before noon, and then it's time to breach the walls".

"Yes, and then, victory. But that's not what I wanted to talk about".

Their eyes met and silence fell for a few moments before Sextus managed: "What do you want to talk about then?"

"Oh", she was shaken from her thoughts, "I mean, I trust that you can take the city. You're the only one of my generals who has made the effort to actually win something. So that's no problem at all. What I do want to talk about is something else. Tonight, when we make camp, I would like to have you for dinner".

At that, his heart fluttered and Sextus felt a warmth in his ears. For once, he felt lucky about the sunburn of when he had been made to march to Alexandria just a few days earlier. The tan hid some of his blush, and he hoped, all of it. He smiled, taking a few moments to reply: "Yes, with pleasure!"

Fearing that he had been too enthusiastic, Sextus added: "we do have so much to discuss after all".

She merely nodded, clearly not sharing Sextus' feelings. A silence fell between them, Sextus didn't know what to say, fearing more and more that Arsinoe only saw him as a soldier.

The awkwardness was broken by a rider rushing towards them. He came to a halt and immediately reported: "O Arsinoe, great queen, emissaries have come from the city and humbly request an audience".

Had it been anyone else who was addressed, it would have hurt Sextus. He was being ignored, despite being in command of the army. But it was Arsinoe. If anything, she deserved to be queen. He looked at her as she replied: "Very well. Allow them to come forward".

She turned to one of her guards: "I want a good place to sit in the shadow, so we can talk".

A little later, Arsinoe had dismounted and was seated on a pile of pillows under a silk roof dyed in blue. Not the extravagance of purple, but still, an incredible expense. Sextus stood to her right, just behind her. Clean-shaven, as he should be. Not that he could grow much of a beard, but the little hairs annoyed him.

Rich tapestries lay on the grass and Sextus tried to draw his eyes away from Arsinoe's diadem-bearing golden hair. There were four envoys, although only one of them looked like a soldier, if a little old. He wore finely-decorated gilded armour and the sculpted muscles looked like they were clenching his gut too tightly. One of the others was dressed as a priest, the other two were truly only men with long beards who wore only linen for armour.

All four of them fell to their knees, something that still felt wrong to Sextus. His father had always taught him that real men didn't kneel. But now, even Roman senators knelt to their would-be king. He felt his hand drift to his sword, seeing that all four of them were armed. Here in the east, men were without honour as he had seen all too clearly in how they even tried to betray their own queen to her treacherous siblings.

They however didn't come bearing treachery. Instead, the old general spoke: "O Great queen, we thank you for receiving us. We bring word from our most illustrious city whose citizens eagerly await the return of your most august person to deliver us from foreign tyrants. We are the descendants of the greatest conquerors the world has ever seen, and to that glory, we owe honour".

The priest took over from there: "O divine Arsinoe. We come before you as supplicants for our city's delivery. Upon hearing of your approach, the brave citizens of Alexandria have taken up arms to defend their homes and their honour. The barbarians and their despicable servants have retreated to the palaces of your ancestors and wish to request your royal command to end this humiliation".

Arsinoe remained seated but Sextus could see that she was sitting more upright. He wished he could see her face at that moment. She spoke, her voice full of authority that clashed with her youth: "Alexandria has always been a most faithful city to my ancestors, and now, in this dark time, it again is proven that Alexandrian men are truly brave. I am grateful for your loyalty and that will not be forgotten".

She turned to Sextus and said: "Sextos, there will be no encampment tonight. We march right into the city to reclaim my birthright".

"Yes", he replied, momentarily stunned by the hellenisation of his name, "I shall immediately dispatch horsemen to serve as reinforcements to the men of the city, to be followed by all who can make it. I will take command of this vanguard and ask for the service of one of our newly-arrived friends to ensure passage so we may deal with Caesar as soon as possible".

"Excellent. Then depart, dear friend, and we shall meet again in my beloved city".

Chapter 14
Sextus felt somehow sad having left Arsinoe behind in her discussion with the envoys. But at the same time, he felt joy in his heart. If he could take the city, Caesar would be cornered. He wouldn't just put the tyrant to death, he would defeat him. The man some claimed to be the greatest of Rome's generals. That would make Sextus' reputation and redeem his father's name.

He pushed those dreams away, focusing on what mattered. He was with the horsemen, having taken all the leading formations and leaving only a few hundred scouts to cover the footmen as they marched. Ahead of him, he saw the great walls of Alexandria. Walls that dwarfed any others he had seen. Rome's own walls were but simple earthworks compared to these.

The old general, Timeon, riding next to him said: "Here we are. The gates are open for the queen".

He could feel the distaste in the man's voice. He presumed that it was either his age, or that he wasn't a Greek. It was hard to tell. Sextus nodded: "Good. It makes her happy to see the loyalty of her people. I hope that we can quickly dislodge Caesar and his men to restore freedom to her kingdom".

"Freedom, yes", the man sighed, "I've fought for our kings and queens since I was a boy, like you. But so often, it seems like even our victories do little for us".

"There have been grave injustices towards this most ancient land", Sextus admitted. He had heard men talking about taking Egypt as well. He would never deny the right of Rome to rule the world, but still, Arsinoe deserved her realm and more. If he killed Caesar, he could at least end some of the injustices. The senate would have to make him a consul at least, and he could make concessions: "My father fought for justice, in Rome and beyond. Venal men have gained far too much power within the republic and they're united behind Caesar. With them destroyed, I want to end those injustices. Those lands taken from the queen will be restored, and those responsible will be put to death".

That brought a wry smile to the old man's face: "Beautiful words, o general, but I fear that many men in Rome, even those supporting your father, would rather keep those lands and instead aim to reduce us further. No, boy, you will need more to restore justice to the world".

"I will", Sextus replied, feeling anger rise within him, "if anyone opposes justice, they will have to die".

Both fell silent and Sextus thought. Was he right? The senate, once purged of the traitors, would be pure and strong. They wouldn't stand for injustice. But then he thought back to the disagreements during the fighting. His father had complained of it, that his own allies only looked out for themselves.

A smile formed on his face. It was his task then, ordained for just him to be the restorer of the city and its ancient ways. That would mean leaving Arsinoe behind. He knew that he would have to, but the thought made his heart clench. Instead of thinking about that, he focused on the gates ahead and asked his companion: "How many men do you actually have within the city?"

"It's hard to say", Timeon replied, "we have almost two hundred thousand citizens within the walls, and, of course, all should take up arms in the name of their home. Many however don't, but others have armed freedmen and slaves, so I would say some twenty thousand. Mind you, they aren't as well-armed as many soldiers are".

"You are a honourable people, and this truly is a great force. I would prefer not to send those who are lightly armed into the heart of battle against Caesar's men, but I am sure that there will be plenty that can be done in assistance, especially if they have fortified themselves somewhere. And do you know what Caesar has available? I heard a little, but not directly from the city".

"I'm afraid I don't know exactly, but there are two groups. There are his Gauls, tall barbarian horsemen, and there are some traitors within the palaces. Including part of the royal guard companions. Some however have defected. I would say that in total, they have some three hundred horsemen left, but probably less by now. And then the footmen. Caesar brought one of your legions, but I've been told that they aren't at their full strength. Quite the contrary. There are at most three thousand of them. And aside from that, there are around a thousand and a half traitors with them. But that's harder to say, I don't know how many exactly deserted, but others will know more".

A little later, they rode through the gates. The welcome was completely different from his last one. This time it wasn't him being moved in the darkness. No, thousands of people were gathered at the gates, some of them armed, many not. And they cheered. Sextus smiled and waved at them, feeling a fresh happiness watching over himself, wondering if this was what a triumph would feel like, and if he would be awarded one.

He was on the same road as where he had fought for his life, but now, he could properly see it. It was wide, wider than any other road he had seen. He could actually see the houses now, painted beautifully and with marble everywhere. Even Rome seemed to be its inferior in wealth.

Sextus rode forward, taking off his helmet to show his youthful face as he spoke, just like the oratory tutors had taught him: "Friends! Brave citizens of Alexandria! Arsinoe, your queen marches with her armies and has sent me at the head of her vanguard. We are here to vanquish those who would defile the city and its freedoms. So tell me, where are our enemies hiding!"

Unfortunately for Sextus, he couldn't immediately rush into battle. The horsemen he had brought were welcome, but Caesar's men had dug fortified the royal palaces which were a fortress to themselves. He looked at them, on foot now, and almost immediately, a slingstone struck next to him. It was obvious enough that directly storming across the wide streets to face the walls would only end in slaughter and defeat.

He turned back from the enemy and went into a nearby house where some of the leaders of the city were gathered. They were mostly older men, although some younger ones were present as well. Some had been on the other side in the fighting between Cleopatra and Ptolemaios, but that didn't matter now. Most didn't want to fall under Roman rule.

And that was what made his position so difficult. He couldn't use his men to win. The honour had to be Greek and Egyptian.

"So", he began, "we can't just assault the palaces. But we also can't wait. If we wait, the reinforcements that the enemy surely has sent for will arrive".

"They will have to come to the ports, if they directly want to link up with the enemy. Otherwise, they have to land outside the city", one of them said. He was a younger man named Cinon, a man he actually knew. He had spoken to him when he was a leader of Cleopatra's guards. He obviously stood against tyranny now.

"So", Sextus said, "we cannot directly take the palaces. But we can at least cut off as much of the harbour as we can. They will be expecting that, but a quick assault will be better than waiting until they have built fortifications there. So what about the fleet?"

"Most remains at Pelousion", Timeon replied, "although some ships remain in the city".

Chapter 15
Sextus sat in a small boat, next to his comrade, Polyperchon who smiled: "I thought you would have forgotten about me, now that you've reached such august heights".

"Oh, I had", Sextus smiled, "it's just that I randomly ended up here while loading the horsemen into these boats. And I didn't want to be one of those poor fools marching over the bridge".

"Of course", Polyperchon laughed, "so you figured you'd go with those poor fools loaded into little boats to assault Antirhodos?"

Sextus nodded: "Yes. Someone has to do it after all".

"Even then. You could have done what generals do, and stay behind to look at us doing the work".

"Where would be the fun in that?", Sextus asked, "and besides, I couldn't send men into danger just like that. What sort of man would that make me?"

"The kind that doesn't want to kill his own countrymen?"

Sextus felt his heart harden: "They might be my countrymen, but they're traitors, embracing treachery over the public good. I look forward to giving them justice. But how's your wound?"

"Good", Polyperchon replied, "I know it looked bad, but the physicians said that it will only leave me with some scars that will make a good impression in the gymnasion! And besides, I couldn't sit by idly while we fight for the pride of my people. And our glorious queen, of course".

At the thought of Arsinoe, Sextus smiled again and his friend put a hand on his shoulder: "Oh, you poor fool. Tell me that this isn't true. Are you in love?"

His face burning red, Sextus stammered: "Of, of course not".

All around himself, he heard laughter. It seemed that the whole boat had been listening in on their conversation. A stranger slapped his back: "Oh dear boy. Be happy that you're here with us. That's much safer than seeking the love of a woman. The Romans will only cut your flesh, but she'll cut your very soul!"

Fortunately for Sextus, a messenger arrived at that very moment. A man from the city. He said: "O Heptos! Timeon sends word that the enemy has been drawn into formation".

"Good", Sextus stood up and shouted: "Men! The time is now! For the queen and for eternal glory!"

With that, the flotilla of boats set off. They were shielded from view of most of the island and rapidly rowed forward. Even Sextus was pulling the oars while feeling a deep tension in his stomach. If they were seen too early, all this would be for nothing. He however couldn't look, putting all his strength into his oar. In the distance, he heard shouts, and then, the old sailor in charge of the boat called: "Shields!"

Sextus didn't take a shield. He was one of the men who would keep rowing for now. He however heard the whistle of slingstones and a little later a man screaming in pain. Still, he didn't stop and the sailor called again: "Brace!"

With that, Sextus let go of the oar and drew his sword. A moment later, the boat crashed into the shore and he jumped up, charging with the others. There were only a few men trying to hold them back and they quickly turned. Sextus however wouldn't let them escape that easily and charged ahead with a few of his men. A man running from him stumbled and that was the moment he needed, driving his sword into his back. A Roman back.

That was where he stopped. He felt himself panting and called out: "To me! Form up!"

It didn't take long and Sextus found Polyperchon next to him again. The well-armoured horsemen had suffered few losses, and now could advance. A man started singing: "Now, as the gods kept their distance from mortal men, now the Achaeans won mighty triumps. Seeing Achilles come forth, although he had for a long time kept himself from the battle. But upon the Romans came a dread trembling on the limbs of every man".

Sextus recognized the poem and the archaic language and felt himself heartened even while others laughed or joined in. He didn't speak, merely marching forward with his men. He didn't know the words well enough.

The march quickly took them to the bridge, where the remaining Romans were drawn up, and now surrounded. They formed two lines, one facing the front, and the other back, towards Sextus. That was where he saw his chance.

With a gesture, his men halted and he walked forward on his own and called out in Latin: "Men! Come! Lay down your arms and we can end this needless bloodshed. You will be spared the slaughter to come, and once the fighting is done, you have my word, the word of Sextus Pompeius Magnus Pius, that you will be released to go home!"

The answer came quickly. It came in the form of a javelin that Sextus narrowly avoided. A man shouted: "For Caesar! For the people of Rome!"

He didn't even have to shout an order as spears and stones flew from all directions before his men charged. He joined in with them, a savage bloodlust filling him. How dared they? Why didn't they just surrender? He didn't know, but he knew that his sword again found Roman flesh.

It didn't take long for it to be over, the outnumbered Romans were quickly slaughtered and their vexilium was brought to Sextus. He looked at it. The third cohort was no more. Fortunately, a few prisoners had been taken in the fighting, and he headed to one of them. The man looked battered, with a black eye and what looked like a broken arm. He had been lucky then.

The prisoner glared at Sextus but said nothing, leaving the young man as the one to break the silence: "I guess you know who I am, so tell me, who are you?"

No reply came and Polyperchon, who had come with him, kicked the kneeling man in the stomach: "Speak when you're addressed by your betters!"

It seemed that the prisoner didn't speak a word of Greek but still, he keeled over and Sextus squatted down to raise his head and look into his eyes: "Listen to me. I didn't want all of you to die, but you are on the side of tyranny. Caesar doesn't care for the senate or the people, and for that reason, he has to be stopped. And for that, I need information. You know that I'm well within my right to put you to death in a horrible way, for being a traitor to Rome. But I can spare you, just tell me what I need to know and after the fighting here is done, I will let you go.

The captive met his eyes and some of the defiance seemed to fade: "What do you want to know?"

Chapter 16
Sextus stood on one of the piers of Antirhodos, looking out over the water. At the palaces and the tall walls surrounding them, even from the sea. And even from the outside, they were covered in marble. Arsinoe's home. The home he wanted to return to her. The home she deserved.

He could see Caesar's soldiers on those walls. Too far away to be reached from the island, and too far away to reach him or even know that he himself was there. Perhaps, he wondered, perhaps Caesar was looking on from those battlements, wondering the same things.

A naval assault was out of the question, leaving only the land route. Sextus knew siege warfare. Every man did. But that was slow. And time was the one thing he didn't have. Caesar had to be defeated before reinforcements could arrive. He turned to Timeon and asked: "Do you know any weaknesses in those walls?"

"There are none", the old man replied, "and if I knew, I would have said so years ago".

"Nothing? No tunnels, nothing at all?"

"There are tunnels", Timeon admitted, "and I've heard that you've used one yourself. The problem however is that they also know, and will have taken measures to block such an attack".

"Blood it is then", Sextus sighed. He would spend it, easily enough actually. But Arsinoe needed her strength and he didn't know how well her men would hold up to a bloody assault, "start building all the engines then. We need a tower from every street at least".

Before he could continue with his plans though, a rider arrived, calling: "The queen has arrived!"

A little later, Sextus was back on horseback, galloping towards her. When he found Arsinoe, she already was in the city, although she and her escort were making slow progress, with her waving to the crowds from the back of her horse. She rode with both hands free, betraying her equestrian skill.

He found it hard to reach her, even with his own small escort. No one wanted to ride down the people of Alexandria. Arsinoe's people. But still, he could see her, radiant on her pristine white horse. Almost like a goddess. Polyperchon's remark came back to him and he felt himself smile for a few moments. Of course he wasn't in love. All it was was that Arsinoe was truly special.

It however wasn't just him who was in awe. The people cheered her on and flowers were thrown in her path. She smiled at the people, but it didn't feel like that. It felt like she only smiled at him. For him.

Somehow, he managed to make his way through and reached her. Their eyes met and he suddenly felt nervous, almost afraid that he hadn't done enough. She however was the first to speak: "Ah! Sextus! How are things going here?"

Sextus felt his cheeks redden but despite that, managed to reply: "Most of the city is yours. I have taken Antirhodos from the traitors and all that remains is to breach the palaces. I have given orders to prepare all possible engines to create a breach".

She smiled more widely: "Excellent work!" Arsinoe rode closer to him, asking at a softer tone: "and how long will it take?"

Sextus felt a sudden cold inside: "I, I don't know yet. It all depends on what we can build and how strong the walls prove to be. But weeks at least. Caesar has too many men to allow us to take them by storm. Not if we want to have an army afterwards".

Arsinoe nodded: "Good. Then build up for the siege, and make sure my treacherous siblings don't escape. I will be taking up temporary residence in the house of Achillas, and invite you to stay there as my guest".

The memory of Arsinoe's happiness at Achillas' death brought his good mood back to him: "Thank you, I accept your hospitality with the utmost gratitude and hope that I can present you a suitable gift".

"Give me back my home, Sextus", she replied, still looking into his eyes. Her large eyes were bewitching and he couldn't look away, "that is all I want. I want the return of justice and peace".

It took them more than an hour to reach the house, next to the Temple of the Muses, and close to the Palaces. It was large, as large as the houses of Rome's wealthiest families on the Palatine. But even then, it was but a fraction the size of Arsinoe's palaces. If they survived the siege, that was.

Royal guards were posted all around it, and Sextus had placed his own Romans close by, ready to intervene should anything happen. It was close to Caesar, and he might be a tyrant, but tyrants could still be capable generals. That however wasn't what mattered now that he and Arsinoe could speak in private for the first time since the envoys arrived.

She walked by a beautiful fountain depicting the Muses and Sextus followed: "I'm sorry that we can't quickly take the palaces. Your ancestors built walls that can't be stormed that easily".

"Of course they did", she laughed, "they're meant to keep a whole city out. More than half a million people, so over a hundred thousand men. With only the royal guards. My father once told me that that however wouldn't be enough. It was when we just returned her and he killed my sister".

He heard a sadness in her voice, and almost by pure instinct put a hand on her shoulder. Immediately, he realized what he had done, but she didn't pull back. Quite the contrary, she leaned closer to him. Sextus felt the queen's warmth and blushed, not knowing what to do.

Arsinoe however continued, walking slowly towards an alcove: "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have brought that up. You lost your sister far too recently".

"I have to tell you something", Sextus whispered, "Caesar's men, they, they didn't kill her. She asked me, and I did it. To spare her captivity and…"

He couldn't continue, but tears started to flow.

Chapter 16
It had been four days now, Sextus thought to himself. Four days of trying to break through some of the strongest walls in the world. There was no room to build a ramp, and so, he had to rely on engines. Those however were awfully slow and he often felt like they did nothing to the walls. But at least the buildings made it easy, and relatively safe, to come close to get a proper look.

He sat crouched by a window, knowing that looking for too long would only invite a slingstone or an arrow. He looked again, at the gate. The doors were made of bronze, too heavy to just break with a ram, even if he could get one there. Sextus sighed, trying to think of another way into the last holdout of the Caesarians.

"O Heptos", a man interrupted his thoughts. He was one of Arsinoe's guards, Sextus recognized his face, but had never spoken to him, "the queen requests your presence".

A lightness washed over him and he followed the guard. Strangely enough, he didn't take him to the house that Arsinoe had claimed for themselves, but instead, there were horses ready, and so, he asked: "where are we going?"

"Beyond the gate of the sun, the queen has commanded the hermetics to give a demonstration of sorts there. I don't know what it is though?"

"The hermetics?"

"Philosophers, and strange ones at that. I heard that they believe that there's only one god, like the Jews, but also that souls are reborn. And some say that they work magic".

Sextus frowned. He knew that Arsinoe was doing countless things, but she didn't seem the kind of woman to associate with sorcerers and worse: "We'd better watch out then. I'd rather not have to trust in witchcraft".

With a small escort, they made their way out of the city, and towards one of the old outlying fortifications. It looked like it was in poor shape, and several tents had been set up nearby. More soldiers were present as well, and soon enough, Sextus could see that they were the royal guards, three hundred heavily armed horsemen. He smiled, she was being careful which was only wise. One never knew if her sister had support somewhere in the country.

Arsinoe's canopy was easy to make out, and after dismounting, Sextus headed towards her. She was stunning as always, dressed in purple and gold, but now wore an Egyptian grown, in red, white, and gold. To Sextus, it seemed like a silly hat, sillier even than what a Greek would wear.

That gold however was no match for her radiance. When he approached their eyes met and she welcomed him: "Ah! Sextus! Come, join us. Chimes here assures me that everything will soon be ready for the demonstration".

Sextus looked at the man she indicated. Chimes was a gaunt and short man with deep-set eyes and wild hair that was longer than seemed decent. As befitted a philosopher he had a long beard, and most stunningly, he had hieroglyphs painted on his forehead. Everything about him made it all too clear that he was a sorcerer and Sextus felt his hand drift to his sword.

"Thank you, o great Arsinoe, our queen and goddess", the man spoke as he knelt before the queen, "thank you for revealing the wisdom like the Thrice-Greatest Hermes did, and allowing us to come closer to the oneness of all wisdom and to purify our souls through knowledge".

After that, he said an incomprehensible formula in the local language, before saying: "As you instructed, the work is being placed with all caution and I await the coming of Iamblichos to tell us it is ready".

"Good", Arsinoe replied, somehow not betraying any annoyance with the insane warlock, "Those of your friends who died in their pursuit of wisdom are truly to be applauded, and will be honoured once the war is won".

"Honour is theirs already", Chimes replied, "their souls will return to continue on the quest for wisdom and their dedication shows that they are deserving of great vessels to continue on their journey towards sagedom".

Arsinoe nodded and gestured Sextus to come closer. Seeing her like this, worshipped almost as a goddess, almost made him consider the slightest bow. But that was beneath him. Instead he smiled: "O Arsinoe, I must confess, I am filled with curiosity to see what is here to see. Beyond your splendour of course".

He had thought about saying something like that, and now it came out. Hearing it in his own voice however made heat rise to his face and Sextus felt happy that he wore a hat that could not only hide his skin from the sun, but also cast a shadow that made his redness harder to see. Arsinoe however laughed and met his eyes: "Oh, you will be amazed. You can see them readying it over there!"

She pointed at an old wall, where some men were busy pushing in some sort of iron vase into a hole in it. There was some sort of string hanging from it, but from the distance it was hard to tell more. Strangely enough, the men seemed to be scared, and incredibly careful. Almost like the slightest wrong movement could bring forth great horrors. He felt a cold in his heart, what kind of sorcery was this?

"What is is?", he asked.

"You will see. My saying it won't mean anything".

"The goddess Arsinoe has taught us a lesson few men would ever believe until they saw it with their own eyes. But it looks like we are ready, so it is time for me to take up my sacred duty in the rites".

He rose and the men who had been working with the iron vase ran away. It looked undignified, but when they came closer, Sextus could almost see relief in their faces. Another attendant handed him an oil lamp and he bowed to Arsinoe: "O great Goddess! I humbly ask you to let your wisdom guide this flame".

Arsinoe put a finger on the lamp and replied: "Flame, do my will and shatter all".

With that, Chimes turned away and, while softly singing to himself, headed to the wall. There, he took the little rope and lit it before he ran. It was almost comical to see a man like him run, but he had something driving him on.

Arsinoe meanwhile remarked: "Now watch closely, watch the wall and see".

Sextus looked at her and frowned before looking back at the wall. Nothing happened, except for the rope burning, coming closer and closer to the iron vase. It reached it, and he heard Arsinoe sigh.

Turning back to her, he started to speak: "Arsi…"

A sudden roar silenced him. Immediately, he looked back at the tower but there was nothing to see, only a cloud of dust. He felt all colour drain from his face when he heard the rumble of falling stone and a little later, that of pebbles landing on the royal canopy.

Arsinoe wasn't scared however. She stood and and shouted: "Yes! I knew it! Quick! Men, go see how the wall is!"

Her mirth reassured Sextus and slowly, he advanced to the old fortress, together with several of the guards and the hermetics. The dust was settling when he was close enough to see and his eyes widened. A huge hole had been torn into the wall, as though Neptunus himself had shaken the earth.

A soft hand touched his shoulder: "And now we can take back my home".

Notes: So this is the moment where the ASB part of this story really comes to the fore. Of course, Sextus doesn't realise that yet, but strange things are happening.

This is great! Really hope you continue it.

Also, has someone else gotten ROB'd?

So, these "Magi" developed some form of explosives. That is definitely a game changer when it comes to breaking defensive positions.

Back