The Crossed Virus on Holy Terra (40K)

Thinking about this some more, there's a non-zero chance that some Astartes or similar beings could just cow the infected into submission. Different 40k authors and Crossed writers have different takes, so different versions may or may not work, but whilst SMs generally feel fear and loathing they're also preternaturally good at controlling it. And in the Crossed + 100 stories which discuss controlling or managing the infected, having (or seeming to have) no fear is key to doing so.

Like, Salt pre-infection just walks through the carnage and chastises any infected who try to mess with him. Whereas there's a whole Thing in Mimic where properly trained and warped humans are basically equal to Alpha Crossed - Fleshcook wants them to train, corall and direct the dumber infected, and it works. Archivist Julie flat-out stares down a pair of infected trying to disgust and intimidate her, and once they realize it isn't working they turn away and awkwardly go back to their work.

(One of the reasons they hunt humans is that humans care in a way the infected don't; Fleshcook, the most lucid and talkative, says that hurting one another is better than nothing, but poor fare compared to humans)

So...there's a non-zero chance at least some Black Templars or whatever could just go "I know no fear, and faith is my shield" and the fuckers would fold.

Last edited:
@Ben Who Devours now you have me imagining the IoM unleashing Crossed legions against their enemies

Which is sort of a disgusting prospect if you take Ennis' more body fluid obsessed routes, but would be an interesting game mechanic if those aspects were toned down and more focus was on the fearlessness and fighting through incredible harm.

Back