The Brink and Back - Tinker of Fiction

Chapter Thirty One
Hey everyone, just a reminder that I have a Patreon! Being a supporter has a lot of benefits, like early chapters and access to my original content. You could get up to four chapters early from this story and eight more for each of my other two. Board Members even get to vote on story beats, interludes, names, character designs, and more!

If you are interested in those benefits or just want to support my attempt to become a full-time writer, stop by and show your support. Every dollar helps!

When we got back to Rocky Ridge, Duke was the first one to leap out of the truck, heading right toward the BD shack. He was carrying a message, Lassie style, to Frank, asking him to come help us as the town's doctor. It didn't take long for both of them to return, Frank helping me guide Jackie out of the truck and to one of the remaining, cleaned and restored trailers. Misty was planning on stopping by after running her shop for a bit, and until then, we would be keeping an eye on him. At this point, he would just be sleeping off the anesthesia, anyway.

I left Frank in charge of the recovering man, heading back to the garage to spend the rest of the day trying to be useful. Duke followed closely behind, probably sensing that I was really starting to feel the effects of the muscle lace. My limbs burned like I was pushing through the last legs of a marathon, my muscles feeling tired and weak. Vik assured me as we were leaving that I was fine with being moderately active, but anything past that would put the muscle lace at risk.

Not that I was eager to push myself, my body ached and burned too much for that. Working in the workshop, where I would spend most of my time designing things, was fine. As long as Samwise and a few MRVNs were around to help, at least. As I walked into the shop, Spot rose up from his perch and floated around, following me in.

"Samwise, how's it going?" I asked as I made my way to my workstation, the modified MRVN AI turning around to look at me.

"It is going well, Jackson," He responded. "I have been working on acquiring a new Thorton truck. We can expect to arrive today in approximately seven and a half hours.

"That's good. I'm hoping that with two trucks, we can build up a solid surplus of materials," I explained. Should make Noah happy, at least."

Speaking of Noah, he wishes to talk to you as well," Samwise revealed. "He wants to brief you on their progress and discuss some things."

"Alright. I'm probably gonna start getting to work on Kaytlyn's cat after that," I responded, grabbing the radio from my desk. "It might seem dumb, but I have a bunch of good ideas for it that I think will actually really increase Kayt's effectiveness."

I flicked on the radio and got in touch with Noah. Normally, I would have gone out of my way to go to him rather than asking him to come to me, especially since he was working on important things, but my legs were already killing me. It took a few minutes to finish what he was doing and make his way to the garage, but once he did, he was all business as usual.

"Sir, we are prepared to begin connecting the addition to the garage," He explained almost immediately as he arrived. "We are putting the finishing touches on the room, but the room is waterproofed and ventilated, and we have the doors prepared."

"Alright, Noah, it's your show," I agreed. "What do you need us to do?"

It turns out he didn't need much from us. Not long after I gave him permission to get started, it was pretty clear that that was all he really needed. The door to the garage space was being cut into the wall at the furthest space of the second garage bay, just at the end of Samwise's workstation. Both Sam and I were pushed back, and our equipment was quickly covered with plastic to prevent dust from getting into anything important.

Within fifteen minutes, Noah and two other MRVN units were cutting the door space clear, then quickly reinforcing the structure on either side. When that was done, they installed a door that was wide enough for me to walk through with my arms spread and not touch either side.

At the same time that they were installing the door in the workshop, they were also putting one into the side room. This door was normal-sized, since there wouldn't be any large parts moving back and forth frequently through it.

The whole process took an hour, and when it was done, I stepped into the addition for the first time since they had started putting up walls. The interior was pretty simple, with the basic design taken from the prefab structure plans I copied while I still had the Titanfall tech tree. It was basically just a large open space, slightly taller than the garage itself. When it was finished, we would stuff it with molly makers, massively increasing our production capabilities. Opposite the newly installed workshop access door was a massive garage door.

The plan was to have the three extra large-scale molly makers, even bigger than the large model we had in the side room, along the back by the garage door. This was so that pieces made by the extra large molly-makers could be quickly taken outside and used for buildings. Next, we would have two rows of large makers, then two rows of medium makers, followed by a whole wall of small-scale makers. All of this would be hooked up to the control and processing area, which we would build in the side room. The control room would take care of all the filtering and metal suspension needed for all our new molly makers.

For now, however, the room was empty, save a half dozen MRVNs working on small projects. I couldn't help but smile in appreciation for the progress Noah had made so far.

"Noah, this is excellent work. I know the project wasn't exactly stimulating," I admitted, patting the upgraded MRVNs shoulder. "But it's encouraging that you can work so well and produce something that fits what we need. I look forward to what you build next."

"Our next project is the various hardpoints around the town," Noah reminded me. "We will begin construction once Chase arrives with our delivery of concrete mix."

"Well, use that time to relax for a while," I suggested with a wince. "Find a hobby or your own project you wish to work on. Maybe your own house… or maybe a separate garage for large-scale building materials and tools? It's going to be busy for a while, but I don't want anyone to think that they don't deserve time for themselves."

"My purpose is building large-scale structures," He pointed out. "It is what I enjoy. However, a garage for meters and equipment does sound... interesting. I will consider it."

"That's all I can ask, buddy," I said with a smile. "If you want some time for yourself, all you have to do is ask."

Once the doors were set and installed, we sealed up the addition for its final prep, while a pair of MRVNs cleaned up the mess. Once that was all set, I finally got to work on my next project, Kaytlyn's cat. Originally, when she first asked for it, I had agreed under the assumption that it would be a simple project, a basic companion with no frills and only simple parts. However, the more I thought about it, the more ideas I began to have for it.

One of the more dangerous things that can happen to people who rely on tech or equipment for weapons or power is being caught without it. In all honesty, it was one of the positives of cyber and bioware. It was hard to get caught without your armor or weapon when your weapon was built into your arm and your armor was already in your skin.

That said, having an animal companion by your side was an excellent way to carry basic gear with you. Duke had enough room in his chest for a full mag rifle and enough ammo to take over a small country, while still having enough room to carry lunch for five. While a cat wouldn't have that much room, if I upped its size a bit, making it something akin to a large Maine Coon, it would have enough room to carry some basic gear and still be small enough to be stealthy.

The design process was pretty simple, though I did want to pull the cat in a slightly different visual direction from Duke. I built my companion to be a function over form, though personally, I thought he came out looking badass. For Kaytlyn, I wanted her cat to be able to show off a bit, which I'm sure she would love. So, while the robotic cat did have the same general design of an AA frame with dense artificial muscle acting anchored to it and AA plating on top, I also included several dozen flexible strands of glowing lights, which would enable her cat to glow from underneath her outer layer of muscle fibers.

On top of that, since it wasn't designed to be a frontline fighter, I gave it slightly thinner armor, only really protecting critical areas. This decreased the overall weight and maximized its maneuverability. The final design almost had a sixties robotic chic feel to it, belying its rather dangerous nature, its AA claws and teeth hidden from view.

While I had yet to figure out what I was putting inside Duke, I already knew exactly what was going inside Kayt's cat. First was a foam block that contained a mag pistol and three magazines of ammo. That would get clipped to the side so she could pull it out in seconds. There was a small first aid compartment, which would probably get filled with a few max docs, or whatever else Frank decided should go in there.

The rest of the space was filled with six custom-designed circular drones. They were small enough to fit into your hand, but were also stuffed to the brim with scanning software and cameras. They could be deployed to scan an area, surveil a location until the target arrived, or even track that target in a crowd. They were the perfect tool to keep a sniper from being ambushed or keeping an eye on a target that was hiding behind a barrier or in a building. Even better, the drones used the same process as Spot to fly, so they were fast and maneuverable. Due to their small size, they shouldn't even be that noisy, the thrumming and snapping sound easily lost in the typical Night City ambiance.

I also stuffed the cat itself with as many sensors as I could, letting it scan any area it was in. I even included vibration sensors in its feet so it could feel people approaching Kayt while she was focused on shooting. Overall, I was pretty happy with the results, and I was already looking forward to Kayt's reaction. Unfortunately, I didn't have any leftover fur or any other options. After a few minutes of consideration, I decided that I would present it to her without fur, but then offer to add some later if she really wanted it.

With the design complete and the garage small molly-maker working to produce the parts, I left the assembly process to a MRVN unit. There was usually one standing around, waiting for something to do, and since this wasn't from a tech tree, there was no reason for me to assemble it myself. Instead, I got to work on a different project, something I had been wanting to do for a while. Something that slipped through my fingers a few times already. Something that was extremely important.

Despite the fact that all I had access to at the moment was tech that was only slightly more advanced than what I had back home, I would make due.

I was finally going to work on weapon attachments.

Honestly, part of me was glad that I would be starting with something low-tech. I tended to prefer simple and straightforward when it came to accessories, as I thought making things complicated often made them unreliable or hard to use. I remembered preferring two of the most simple weapon sights in the Cyberpunk game, the Kanetsugu and the Add-Vantage. Part of that was because when I was a pistol punk in most games that I played. Further than that, though, I also just preferred clean and simple looks.

Starting with bare-bones concepts first would let me build up to adding more things to the scopes at my own pace, rather than starting with something overly complicated and picking it apart until it was simple enough for my tastes. I ended up designing and building several dozen flashlights, laser sights, knife attachments, and bayonets, as well as more than two dozen varieties of scopes and sights, including one similar to the style I liked.

Once they were designed, I printed out almost all of the parts at once on the medium molly-maker. The parts were so low-tech that I could have probably printed them all out at once, already assembled, but I didn't know how the Tinker of Fiction would react to that. So, instead, I spent a few hours assembling them, absorbing the knowledge around their design. By the time I was done, I had a pretty solid grasp of the design methods and methodologies. I was confident I could build my own from scratch or simply continuously upgrade the options I had now through new tech and concepts that I learned. Already, I was ready to apply several bits of material sciences to one of the long-range scopes to increase its level of magnification.

During my time working on scopes and weapon attachments, our new vehicle, the second Thorton arrived. I took a break from working to pay the man who was selling it, the older gentleman thanking me for the good deal, and for the extra pay to have it dropped off. I assured him it was fine before he drove away in a companion's vehicle. He had barely made it out of town before Samwise and a pair of MRVNs got going over the truck's internal. They quickly and efficiently pulled it into the garage to open up, inspecting it carefully.

At the same time, another MRVN got to work clearing out the interior and making the required modifications to its cargo space. Like the first iteration, it would be a self-contained salvage vehicle, capable of intaking scrap and outputting a significant amount of materials every morning. Between the two salvage trucks and the improved mass recycler that Samwise expanded on, our materials were looking very well stocked.

That night, I went to sleep after helping Samwise do some work on the Thorton's motor. He actually knew a bit more about the subject of vehicle repair than I did since I had yet to make my own vehicle, so that was an interesting experience. I went to bed relatively early, sick of dealing with my sore muscles. Frank prescribed me some simple pain medication, and I managed to fall asleep relatively quickly.

The next morning, I woke up to someone pounding on my door. I dragged myself out of bed, idly noting that my muscles were no longer sore. I put on the bare minimum to be presentable before pushing the door open. Kaytlyn was standing there with a big smile on her face, her arms full of robot cat.

"She is fucking perfect!" The blue-haired woman said with an excited smile, patting the cat's metal head, the robot letting out a meow and nuzzling against her owner. "I love the bits you fit inside her back, it's absolutely perfect."

"I'm glad you like it," I said, letting out a yawn. "Did Samwise show you how to access the chest cavity?"

"And explained the drones," She said, running her finger along the spine of the robot, from the back of its neck all the way to the base of the tail. There was a voice command, too, of course, but the physical method looked cooler.

The compartment opened up, revealing everything I had designed for it, including the foam block that contained a pistol. She closed it back up with another motion, looking back up with a smile.

"Well done," I said with a yawn, wiping the sleep from my eyes. "Do you want me to put some fur on her like I did with Duke?"

"...maybe…" She said, frowning in thought. "I'll think about it."

"That's fine. It'll take a few days to get the material, so let me know…" I explained, trailing off when my brain started to fire on all cylinders. "Wait, was that all you had to say? You woke me up to thank me?"

"Nope," She said, popping the "p" with a smirk. Sable is back and waiting for you in the BD shack. Said to take you time."

I scowled, shaking my head and turning to head back into my trailer to get appropriately dressed. I stopped, however, and looked back at Kaytlyn.

"Go find Frank and ask him if Jackie would be up for a meeting," I said. "If he is, ask him to wake him up."

"Sure thing, captain!" She said, giving a sarcastic salute and letting her cat jump down from her arms before walking away.

I shook my head and headed back into my trailed, quickly showering off and getting dressed. Duke waited patiently for me to get ready before following behind me as I made my way to the BD shack. Sure enough, Sable's fancy high-end car was parked in front. I spotted Murtaugh standing guard, along with several specters. He gave me a salute as I waved and headed inside. As I stepped in, I spotted Riggs nearby, leaning against the wall and watching our guest. Sable was sitting in the same seat as before, patiently waiting for me to arrive.

"Sable, welcome back," I said as Duke pushed into the building after me.

Duke, immediately noticing someone I hadn't introduced him to, locked up into incognito mode automatically. Sable was not one of the pre-programmed people to trust, after all, so he defaulted to hiding his nature.

"Thank you, Jackson," she said with a smile. "And who might this be?"

"Duke, part bodyguard, part companion, all badass," I explained with a smirk, whistling the free and clear command that released the robot from its stiff movement.

"Interesting design, it-" She stopped talking the moment Duke slipped back into his much more lifelike mode.

The robot canine made his way around the table to her to sniff at the corpos side, getting her scent before walking back around the table to sit beside me. I couldn't help but laugh at her dumbfounded expression.

"What… how?" She asked, her golden eyes wide, shifting between myself and Duke. "I have never seen any robot like that… not even high-end military models… It reminded me of my grandfather's actual dog! Did you make this? What am I saying? Of course you made it. How did you make it?"

"A lot of complicated programming and my own special artificial muscle design, a version far beyond what I gave you," I explained with a shrug. "The current market is obsessed with servos and hydraulics because there have been a lot of advancements in scaling them down due to the success of cyberware. Artificial muscle, however, is your best bet for actual fluid, realistic movement."

"Absolutely incredible, and you're not wrong… The market is currently saturated with servos and similar products…" She admitted, looking at me with a nod. "And artificial muscle has fallen out of popularity since servos are generally more powerful and more precise. I assume that's not an issue for you, though…"

For a moment, she watched Duke in silence. I could see a want in her eyes, but I decided to cut her off before she could get any bright ideas.

"Before you ask, they aren't for sale," I said, leaning back in my chair. "Prove you're loyal to the group, and I might make you something, but until then, no dice."

"Of course not. Something like this needs to be kept close, and I know I have an uphill battle when it comes to earning your trust," She responded, her hands raised defensively. "But perhaps a progress report might help?"

"Depends on what kind of progress you've got to report."

She chuckled and nodded, pulling out a tablet and sliding it to me. It blinked on as I caught it and lifted it up. As I scrolled through, I realized it was all a load of corpo legalese and data, probably compiled by a VI to present as a well-designed report. I put the tablet back down and gave her a look. This time, she rolled her eyes, nodding at the unspoken directive to explain what she had been up to verbally.

"Creating the company went about as well as you can expect," She explained. I used my name to push it through, loathe as I am to do so, which means it happened pretty quick. Congratulations, as we agreed, you now own ninety percent of TinkerTech, while I own the remaining ten. I am-"

Before she could continue, the front door opened, and Jackie stepped in. He looked tired, moved a bit sluggishly, and winced when he sat down, but other than that, he looked fine. Frank stopped by the door, standing by the side opposite Riggs. Sable eyed them both before focusing on Jackie.

"Everything alright?" She asked, watching as he purposely leaned forward. "Rough night?"

"Recovering from getting chipped," He explained. "Finally got myself a Sandy."

She opened her eyes in surprise, the skeptical, unappreciative look she had given him for what she assumed was a hangover disappearing. Instead, she gave him another look before responding.

"Those can be dangerous," She said, raising an eyebrow. "You're willing to gamble on your health?"

"Sometimes you need to bet the house, chica," He explained, wincing when he shrugged. "Besides, my chooms are keeping an eye on me, and I'm not stupid. If I start to crack, I'm getting it removed."

"... Fair enough, I suppose. Anyway, as agreed, I own ten percent of the company, and I am the current CEO, at your pleasure."

She made a grand gesture, mocking the specific wording of the contract, before pulling a cigarette from somewhere and lighting it with the same finger-snapping flourish as the first time she was here. After she took a long pull, she continued, smoke flowing from her nose lazily.

"The products that you gave me are patented, and I have already pushed them to a few contacts of mine," she continued, focusing back on me. "I received several rather large offers to purchase the patents outright, but since the purpose here is to establish the company as a neutral entity providing designs to everyone, I denied them. I then started selling out licensing. You'll be happy to know I have closed three deals already and have several more to discuss within the coming week."

"Way to go, Genio," Jackie said, slapping my shoulder, wincing as he did. "Looks like you are on your way to the big leagues!"

"Hold on there, hot shot, I want to prepare you," She said, holding a hand out to cut off Jackie's celebration. "Our company is completely unknown, with no reputation. These companies are going to be putting a lot of money into confirming that your tech works as you claim it does. Also, since I assume we are going forward with the second stage of the plan, a significant portion of ongoing profits will go to me building up a business around your inventions. I'm building this from the ground up, after all."

"Your point?"

"That your cut might not be as large as you might expect," She explained. "As discussed, I won't be receiving any payment until the company is stabilized, but even so… Temper your expectations."

She made a gesture, and my keyfob began to vibrate…. And vibrate and vibrate. I pulled it out of my pocket and watched the numbers spin up past the highest I had ever seen on it. I looked up at Sable when it tripled that.

"I know it's not much," She said, shaking her head. "But this is the cost of starting a business. Give it a few more months and a handful more devices, and that number will go up considerably."

"Sable… This is a lot of money," I said, putting my keyfob down on the table. "I understand you might be used to bigger numbers, but I thought the point was to stay under the radar until we can set up the networked neutrality?"

"Jackson, for the environment you just stepped into, these are small numbers," She explained, shaking her head and sighing. "I am basically letting these licenses go for free. These numbers will disappear into project costs without an issue, giving us more time to make a stable base of friends."

I leaned back in my chair, steadily ignoring the fact that my keyfob was STILL FUCKING VIBRATING.

"
Okay, I'm trusting your expertise here in that we didn't just send up a red flare," I said, still shaking my head, sagging a bit when the vibrating keyfob finally stopped. "What sort of the time scale are we looking at? What's the next step?"

"The next step is, in a few weeks, we start another round of patents and licensing," She explained. "A different box of middle-of-the-road upgrades. After that, I can start hiring some people, and we can move on from me tapping into contacts to doing actual business."

We spent another hour discussing the ins and outs of what Sable was planning, talking about what sort of items she suspected would be a good choice for our next round of patents. When we were done, she tapped the table with her nails, giving me a thoughtful look.

I have a suggestion, something you might consider for this town if you're willing to hear it?" She asked, and I raised an eyebrow, which apparently she saw as the go-ahead. "Right now, you're a small group of people doing strange things. I saw that building you threw up behind your workshop. I can only imagine what sort of crazy shit you're putting in there. This whole place stands out like a sore thumb."

"And what is your suggestion for solving that?"

"You need a crowd to hide in. A group to cover up some of your activities," She explained. "Find a gang, a group, something to populate this town and redirect those eyes somewhere else. Right now, you're a curiosity, but if that changes before we can secure our position, you're gonna get vanished."

I sat there, considering her words. After a moment, Sable said her goodbyes. Jackie and I both shook her hand, watching the woman leave before we both sat back down.

Chapter Thirty Two New
Hey everyone, just a reminder that I have a Patreon! Being a supporter has a lot of benefits, like early chapters and access to my original content. You could get up to four chapters early from this story and eight more for each of my other two. Board Members even get to vote on story beats, interludes, names, character designs, and more!

If you are interested in those benefits or just want to support my attempt to become a full-time writer, stop by and show your support. Every dollar helps!

When Sable was finally gone, I dropped back heavily into my chair, sagging it as I closed my eyes and rubbed my face. I should have expected this to happen. I knew that corpos played with different numbers than almost everyone.

"Jackson… how much did you make?" Jackie asked, watching as I picked up my keyfob passing it to him so he could see for himself.

When he cursed and nearly fell out of his chair, I had to lean over and keep him steady. It was a shocking number, to be honest, though he was being a bit dramatic, eight hundred and twenty-seven thousand dollars was enough to throw most people off.

"That… I mean, Genio… You basically gave her junk, right?"

"Pretty much. Castoffs, lower version from basic parts, stuff I had modified myself," I said. "Basically, the worst bits of everything I've been making. I mean, the hardest part of this whole thing is going to be making sure I don't accidentally give her something groundbreaking that can be upscaled easily without me noticing."

We were silent for a long moment before I quickly sent Samwise a message to look into buying a third Thorton to turn into a salvage truck. I then sent a message to Kaytlyn that I needed her help buying a car I could upgrade, as well as a message to Noah and Murtaugh that they should go as heavy as they want with the fortifications, I could absolutely afford the concrete. As long as it was something small-scale, money was no longer a problem.

When I was done sending people messages and getting some balls rolling, I let out a long breath and looked over at Jackie. He looked tired but mostly okay.

"How are you feeling, really?" I asked, pushing down the ludicrous amount of money I had just been given. In truth, it could solve a lot of problems, but it could also cause just as many.

"I'm… feeling okay. Vik told me to pay attention to anything weird, but so far, all I feel is sore," He admitted. "I half expected to wake up seeing things and talking crazy, but it's been normal so far."

"The real test is when you start using it," I pointed out, and he nodded in agreement.

"Yeah, that won't be doing that for a day, maybe two," He said, disappointment clear in his voice.

"Hey, count yourself lucky," I said, shaking my head. "I broke my arm when I was a kid, and it took months to get my cast taken off. You guys are spoiled with all your crazy tech."

"What- oh, right. Damn, choom, I guess your right," He said, wincing as he started to move his hand up to rub the back of his neck. "I kinda forgot you didn't have a lot of this stuff growing up. Must have been rough."

"It was all I knew," I responded with a shrug. "Was all anyone around me knew."

He nodded in understanding, and we sat there for a while, just shooting the shit. It was clear Jackie was still tired, as the surgery took a toll on his body, but you could still see that fire in his heart. He was happy to be alive and glad to have the chance to improve. I could tell he was still nervous, but he seemed to be working through it. Eventually, the conversation turned to Sable's suggestion.

"Do you think she was right?" Jackie asked with a frown, fiddling with his glass of water. "You spent so much time working to stay independent of gangs and groups, now you gotta invite them over?"

"I don't have to do anything," I pointed out, leaning back in my chair. "But the idea… might hold merit. As long as I can find the right group."

"Why didn't you align yourself earlier then, Amigo?" He asked, leaning forward onto the table and letting out a groan before continuing. "Some of this stuff would have been much easier backed by the Valentinos or even a small corporation."

"Because… I didn't want to be part of the cycle, Jackie," I admitted, shaking my head. "Night City… god, this place is fucked. I know it's your home, Jackie, and I know you love it, but this place is fucked. I mean, the whole planet is fucked, but Night City is particularly bad. I don't want to be a part of that, not even a little."

"It's the city of opportunity, pendejo!" Jackie retorted. "Anyone can claw their way up to be somebody here."

"Jackie, that's just not true," I said, just shaking my head. "Sure, with enough violence and fighting, occasionally a few particularly fucked individuals can kill and steal enough that they get a drink named after them, but what is the cost?"

"That's the price of doing business, choom," Jackie said, starting to sound defensive. "It's a dog-eat-dog world. You can't-"

"Except it's not, Jackie. It's not," I said, cutting him off. "You are sitting here, missing a chunk of your spine because you want to be better at killing. And yes, so far, we have kept ourselves to acceptable targets. But this city is a fucking machine, choom, and it uses the blood as its oil. It doesn't care if you're holding a gun. It kills gangsters, civilians, women, and children alike. Innocent people like Misty, who would like nothing more than to lead a peaceful life. Kind people like Vik, who just want to help people where they can. Loving mothers, like Mama Welles, who just wants to see her son live and be happy."

I stopped for a moment, standing up from my chair. I walked to a nearby window, looking out into the desert. The distant city rose above the sand like a monolith of corruption and greed. From here, it was shiny and perfect despite how broken I knew it was.

"The truth is, Jackie, is that people like us, the dogs who reach for more? The dogs who want more and are willing to claw and climb to get it? To us, this place is a paradise. But to people like them? The innocent? The kind? The weak? To them, this is fucking hell on Earth, Jackie, because they aren't dogs, and they still keep getting eaten."

I kept staring out the window for a moment before closing my eyes and letting out a long breath. I turned around, looking back at my friend. He was still leaning over the table, turned away from me enough that I couldn't see his face.

"I'm not gonna pretend to know what growing up here was like, because I have no idea," I admitted with a frown. "But it could be so much better, Jackie. Imagine a world where corporations aren't in control of everything, where you don't have to worry about someone killing you in the street for looking at them wrong. Were the police actually do their job, and aren't just another gang. Were corruption is something that needs to be squashed, not the industry standard."

"You think you can do that?" He asked, pushing back from the table and turning to face me. "I already told you, Jay, I'm with you to the end. But do you really think you can change the world like that?"

"...with enough time? Absolutely," I said confidently. "But buying time by joining the gangs wouldn't have worked. There's always a catch with groups like that, always a way to keep their grip on you, even if it's psychological. You know that better than me, how hard was it for you to finally get out?"

"It was hell," He admitted. "I get your point, choom. It's just hard to imagine something other than what I've known for my whole life."

"That's… fair. And I'm sorry for being preachy," I said, shaking my head. "It's just hard not to be dramatic sometimes."

"Don't worry about it, Genio," He said with a smirk, shaking his head and slowly standing from the chair. "So what are you up to today?"

"Well… I got a few things I want to build, but nothing that will take me very long," I admitted. "I got some time. Are you up for designing your pistols?"

"Damn, choom, I forgot you wanted to do that," He admitted with a frown. "I'm not sure I'm gonna like tech weapons, but I'll give it a shot. Just don't get winey if I end up preferring my Nue."

He patted his pistol, which was holstered at his hip.

"Yeah, yeah, just promise you won't get whiny when I say I told you so," I responded with a smirk, pushing open the door for him. Frank followed us out as we made our way to the garage.

I led him into my section of the garage and sat my friend down on a crate, starting to design a pistol for him. I started with the already existing pistol before pulling it apart and upgrading it considerably with Titanfall tech. That didn't take too long, since I had already done it several times at this point. When I was done, I saved the base model as an updated pistol, storing the old one as outdated. Once that was done, I worked with Jackie to add in a few extras, like a holographic sight built into what would be called the slide on a standard pistol, with a toggle to turn it on and off. When I was done, I showed the design off to Jackie.

"What do you think?"

"It… looks a bit boring…." He said, rubbing his arm. "Got anything in gold?"

I snorted and spent a few minutes adding some gold plating, as well as some artistic etching. That sort of thing was a bit out of my wheelhouse, so I used some existing art to turn into a raised print on the pistols plating.

"How about now?"

Jack sat up and leaned over my shoulder to get a better look, studying the pistol carefully before nodding.

"It looks good, Genio," He said, patting my shoulder. "As long as it shoots good too…"

I nodded, waving him away as I quickly got a printer working on the pistol, before sitting down and designing the ammo for it. Within an hour, we were both standing out by the parking lot, looking out over the desert, watching a pair of MRVN units set up targets made from the scrap polymer that the mass recycler made. As they worked, we loaded and readied our weapons. Jackie was sitting on a folding chair, two identical pistols sitting on a table in front of him, while I was sitting on a concrete divider, holding a single upgraded base model. It was lighter than Jackie's "unique" version, with marginally less standard power, but I preferred the more streamlined, lighter feel.

The MRVN units rushed back, and I slid Jackie a mag of slugs, quickly sliding my own home.

"So these are gonna kick less than you expect, but a lot more than the tech weapons you're used to, mostly due to the density of their slug," I explained. "Compared to the old pistol, they hit harder and are more accurate, with just about the same weight."

"Hey, choom… how come the first one looked… cleaner?" he asked, peeking at the slugs through the top of the magazine.

"Because I was only working with… my first bits of inspiration, so I had less to go off and more to fill in," I responded, clicking the weapon on with a satisfying whine and clunk. "That let me get away with being a bit more artistic. This one is all working parts, no room for flash stuff. Well, unless you make room for it like you did."

"Hey, having recognizable weapons is important," He responded. "Especially if you're looking to gain a reputation."

"Sure, sure," I sarcastically agreed before lifting up my new pistol and aiming it down range.

Together, we tested our new weapons, and I had to admit, I really liked the new pistol. It was an all-around upgrade from the original pistol and had several of the features the first model was missing. Even better, the ammo was significantly improved as well, and much more flexible, as Jackie found out when I held him a red magazine.

"These pack a bit more of a punch," I said with a smirk.

"What are they, armor piercing?" He asked, ejecting the previous mag and sliding the red one in.

"Something like that," I responded, watching as he sighted in down range and fired.

The projectile whistled down range, breaking the sound barrier and then some. It slapped into a polymer cube and promptly detonated, utterly destroying the cube and scattering the several around it. It was a significant explosion, with way more impact than any normal explosive ammo available could do. Jackie let out a string of Spanish and English curses while looking down at the pistol.

"That was fucking Nova, how the hell did you manage that?"

"It's just a common explosive material I borrowed from other explosive bullets," I explained with a shrug. "The only difference is that with how the mag pistols work, we can afford to put significantly more explosive compound into each round."

"How come no one else does that?"

"Can't say for sure that no one has, but the reason you don't see them around is that most tech weapons are all about steering and guiding bullets or stuffing tech into the bullets," I explained, loading in my own magazine of explosive ammo. "but my mag weapons are basically just normal guns that shoot without propellant. The lack of complicated stuff in the projectile means that no ECM is going to work, and I have a lot more room in mine."

"They are safe, right?"

"Yup. Though if the mag gets shot, it could go off," I admitted. "High energy impact is what activates the compound, so it takes something like slamming into a target to go off. Unfortunately, that also means that if the magazine takes a bullet, that would probably be enough to set some of it off instead."

"Hmm… not sure I want to carry that around,"

"If you are wearing the extra mags on your hip, your armor and armored undersuit should be able to handle it. You'll have a pretty serious bruise, maybe some broken bones, but nothing is gonna get blown off. I… would avoid wearing them to the front."

For a moment, I thought Jackie was gonna throw one of his empty magazines at me. When he was done scowling, he turned back and focused on practicing with his new weapons. After another mag of explosive ammunition and a handful of standard mags for each of us, we were both satisfied. I printed us both out an adjustable holster, Jackies with two slots for his guns and mine for only one. At this point, my old holster was looking a bit rough, so I was glad to retire it. The old pistol was set up as an emergency weapon, attached to the underside of my workstation.

With Jackie satisfied with his new weapon, he also retired his Nue, with plans to give it to his mother as a security weapon for the Coyote. I think he was intending it to make her feel safe as he started spending more and more time out here at the Ridge. I didn't have the heart to tell him I was starting to consider the idea of inviting her out here to open a bar, whenever we figured out who we were going to have populate the rest of the town.

I also wanted to invite Vik, Misty, and anyone else I considered friends or even just safe. It seemed like a waste to try and build a safe haven, only to waste it on myself and a few other people. Of course, that would also put them in the crosshairs should everything go to shit, so I would need to explain that to them as well.

Jackie retired to his temporary trailer to get some more sleep, his recovery catching up with him after being active for a few hours. When he left, I got to work.

While initially, I was rather disappointed with the Become Human tech tree, and I kind of still was, I did realize over time that completely ignoring it was a rather poor idea. Yes, plenty of it was completely pointless, but as I was working on the weapon attachments, I realized that in the grand scheme of things, it didn't matter if the end product was useless because everything I made would expand my knowledge. Yes, just how much this tech tree would allow me to expand my knowledge was minimal, but that didn't mean I should ignore it completely.

So, for the last third of the sixth day, I sat down and began designing random bits and bobs. I started with things that might be useful, like advanced screen technology, which was actually not bad, all things considered. From there, I designed cell phones, tools, and other bits of tech, trying to absorb every little bit that I could from the setting. Most of the things that I designed could be printed out on the small scale molly-make in two or three pieces, drastically cutting down on the time needed to construct them.

By the time I went to bed, I had learned a good amount of basic knowledge for designing and building electronic equipment, including computers and phones. I also learned basic knowledge about medical equipment, material sciences, and engineering, as well as less rigid concepts like ruggedization, ergonomics, and user-friendly designs.

I also spent the last hour of the day upgrading my keyfob. I expanded its screen, basically converting it into a cellphone like I knew from back home, integrating and upgrading the design as much as I could with Titanfall tech and materials. I was very happy with the result, especially since it had plenty of room to run the upgraded hacking software that Spot used, as well as his programming assistant system. I would most likely continue to upgrade it as I learned new things, but for now, it was nice to have something more than just a tiny screen to check my bank account and see the number that was trying to contact me.

As I finally left the garage, I watched our two salvage trucks leave on their trash run, the MRVN units waving to me as they drove past. I idly questioned if it was safe for them to be driving, before realizing that I trusted them more than I did most of the people in Night City. Duke followed behind me as I finally made my way home, laying in bed after a quick shower and a late-night snack. Thankfully, it didn't take long for me to finally get some sleep, reaching over the side of the bed to pet Duke as I drifted off.

The next morning, I went right back to working on my low-tech foundation, spending my time building random stuff from Become Human. It was funny, if I pushed back far enough I could see the things that were much more familiar to me, like PC systems that looked almost identical to what I used to game on. The only difference was the name brand. I even eventually identified the time when people started being obsessed with future-looking tech. It happened in the same way that RGB lights seemed to take over the computer industry, only this fad quickly expanded to all sorts of markets.

Around noon, Kaytlyn returned from her latest trip to Tyger territory. As she was approaching the town, she radioed ahead to get everyone together. She arrived not long after that, carrying a few pizzas and looking concerned. I grabbed the boxes from her, almost tripping over her cat as she led me into the BD shack, where Riggs and Jackie were already waiting. The door to Frank's space was open, no doubt so he could listen in, just in case Jackie needed some help.

I placed the pizzas down on the table and took a seat, watching while Jackie grabbed a slice for himself. He cursed and dropped the slice onto a plastic plate, shaking out his fingers, trying to cool them off. I was focused on Kayt, though, as her expression was concerning.

"So… what's the news?" I asked, even as Jackie passed me a plate with a slice on it. "You don't look very happy."

"Cause I'm not," She responded, shaking her head. "I've been going over the extra info Padre got us and comparing it to what I've been seeing. I've gotta say, this mission not looking so good."

"What's the problema, Chica?" Jackie asked, impatiently waiting for his pizza to cool. "We know from the scavs they can't keep up with us."

"Scavs might not have been able to, Jackie, but Tyger Claws, specifically these ones, just might," She responded, shaking her head. "We knew this was a hotspot for the gang already, but it turns out the intel was underselling it. Tyger Claws owns the whole building and the two on either side of it. It's used to house people who need a safe space. Informants, info brokers, gun dealers, higher-ups who have a little too much heat on them, even a few lieutenants."

She looked at Jackie, her eyes glowing as she sent him the data. I waved and gestured to my new keyfob cellphone combo… my keyphone, and after a moment, I could see the data she was sending too. I scrolled through, pausing on a wireframe of the building. It was labeled with possible occupants.

"So I tried to get a rough guess of just how many people they have on patrol inside the walls and how many are inside, but as far as I can tell, it's more than fifteen. Could be twenty, or it could be fifty," She admitted. "They keep people rotating, and they switch out frequently. Worse, these aren't some punk gangbangers. These are hard bastards with a lot of chrome and plenty of experience with it. I counted at least seven of them that are really chromed out, as well as at least two full borgs. I don't know who they are or how many there actually are, but these are not mismatched scavs."

"Dammit, that's gonna be rough…" I said, shaking my head. "Any idea where she is being kept?"

"So, I figured out what floor she is on cause her father goes to the balcony for smoke breaks," She explained, pointing out a corner of the large building, two floors down from the roof, eight floors up from the ground floor. "I kept an eye on it for a while until I spotted her inside as well. Just a glimpse, but she is there."

"Fuck, on the ninth floor?" I asked. "That's not gonna work."

"You really think we can't tear through nine floors?" Jackie asked, looking disgruntled. "We can clear floor by floor, take our time and get there eventually."

"That won't work here," Kaytlyn pointed out, her cat jumping up onto one of the free chairs, sniffing at one of the pizza boxes. "Places like these? They have designated communicators. The second they know something is up, an alert is going to go out to every Tyger in the area, and some that aren't. By the time we hit the fifth floor, the first floor is going to be filled with Tygers again, chasing us up the building."

"We may be good for twenty, thirty, maybe even forty claws of various strength, but not even we can take down the whole gang," I pointed out. "Especially when we have an asset to protect."

Jackie cursed, leaning back in his chair, wincing as it put pressure on his newly installed cyberware. He seemed to be doing much better than yesterday, and with any luck, he would be able to start practicing by tomorrow. I was looking forward to seeing what he could do. I was also starting to generate ideas in case the Sandy didn't agree with him. So far, I didn't have much, but I was hopeful that whatever tech tree I had next would have something.

"We can boost up a few floors," Riggs pointed out. "That should cut down on time."

"We could… or we could go down instead of up…" I suggested, trailing off after a moment, scanning through some of the pictures Kayt took.

"You got something, Genio?" Jackie asked, leaning over to peek into what I was looking at.

"Maybe… Kayt, this was the closest non-Tyger building to our target, right?" I asked, holding out my keyphone and pointing to a building across the street from our target. "How far was it, exactly?"

"From the compound? Maybe thirty feet?" She guessed, scratching her forehead. "Between the actual roofs? Maybe… sixty, seventy feet? It's pretty isolated on the corner of this street, which is probably why they picked it."

"There is no way we can jump that far, loco pendejo," Jackie said, shaking his head. "The jumpkits only get us a good thirty feet, if we get a proper run and jump."

"Yeah, but I can make us something that gets us across," I said with a shrug. "Hell, I could build a half dozen things to get us across. All we need is to get up to this building here, and then we jump."

"You sure? Kayt asked. "I mean, I won't be doing it since I'll be on sniper support, but are you sure you can do that? I mean, I've seen some of the stuff you can make, but that's a long way up…"

"I'm sure. Give me a few days and I'll have something." I replied confidently.

"... Okay, so we start from the roof and work down," Jackie said. "That means two floors we have to deal with. But how do we get out, and how do we get away?"

We spent another few hours coming up with a basic plan, which included getting up to the roof of the closest building, as well as how we planned on getting out once we reached our target. Once we were done planning and done with lunch, I headed back to the garage.

I was tempted to jump right into the design process for the contraption I promised for our mission, the one that would get us from one building to the other, but I wanted to finish off working on Become Human designs first. I didn't plan on holding on to the tree once it ran out at midnight, so I would have to make do with the time I had.

I wasn't overly concerned as the little bits of knowledge I was picking up were nice and would probably come in handy when I was designing my own things, but they weren't required. In most cases, they were mostly redundant, specific to materials and tech that I was already way past with what I had learned from Titanfall.

Last edited:
Chapter Thirty Three New

I spent the rest of the day designing, building, and then throwing away a few dozen different bits of tech. None of it was really worth mentioning specifically, but together, they did end up expanding my knowledge base. I didn't quite regret not realizing the usefulness of just expanding my knowledge earlier, but I was glad I realized it when I did.

I now felt more confident in working different bits of technology together, and I was starting to feel good about where I was for the next tech tree. I ended up staying up until midnight and letting the Become Human tech tree fade as I worked. As usual, the timer slipped into its place, reading down from seven days. While I was a little annoyed that the break time was the same as it would have been if I had held on to the subject for an extra week, that was mostly because I was anxious to see what would happen next.

Once the tech tree faded, it didn't take long for me to head to bed, staying up just long enough to toss my creations into the mass recycler.

The following morning, I crawled out of bed and into the shower, spending too much time under the warm water before eventually making my way out of my trailer. As I made my way to the garage, I was surprised to find that Jackie was up before me. I found him sitting on the roof of the garage, watching the sunrise as I first got there.

"What the hell are you doing up?" I asked, climbing up stair along the side of the building. "Aren't you supposed to be taking it easy?"

One of the first things Noah did when starting the garage addition was to take the stairs along the back of the garage and swing them around to the side so they would be out of the way. I was pretty sure he had plans to replace them with something a bit more sturdy, but they worked for now. Once I was on the roof, I made my way to the side of the building, sitting beside my choom.

"I'm just about healed," He explained, passing me some sort of pre-packaged coffee drink that reminded me of the Starbucks glass bottles you could buy back home. "And I couldn't sit still anymore. I woke up a few hours ago and couldn't fall back to sleep."

I cracked the drink open and took a small, hesitant sip. It actually tasted pretty good, all things considered. Coffee was one of the few plants still mass-produced enough for ordinary people to have access to it, and I wasn't surprised that a coffee-flavored beverage was pretty accurate.

"How are you feeling?" I asked, sneaking a peek at his neck and shoulder. There wasn't any redness or swelling, and to my amateur eyes, everything looked pretty healthy.

"I feel fine. I guess my neck feels a bit heavier, but that's normal," he responded with a shrug, noticeably not wincing. "Frank says I can test the implant out later today."

"Good, I'm ready to see what you can do," I said, slapping his stomach. "Don't worry about it. Even if you aren't compatible, I'll come up with something better. You might not be blurring around like a ninja, but I guarantee I'll be able to make something better eventually."

He nodded in agreement, and we chatted for a few hours before the sun got too much for both of us. I left to get to work designing the necessary gadgets for our next gig while Jackie got some ammo for his new pistols and spent a few hours practicing his shooting. He complained that they had a different feel than guns, but once he had some practice under his belt, he was shooting better than ever before.

When I finished the design phase for my newest piece of equipment, I left the construction to a MRVN unit. Jackie, Kaytlyn, Murtaugh Riggs, and Frank had all gathered at one of the parking lots further into the town, waiting for me so that Jackie could start testing his Sandevistan.

"Finally, took you long enough," Kaytlyn said when I arrived. "C'mon Jackie, let's see it!"

"Wait a minute!" Frank said as he fiddled with something for a moment before affixing a small device to Jackie's neck. "This is a sensor. It will allow me to monitor your vitals closely as you experiment. Please be careful. It is very delicate."

"Thanks, doc," Jackie said, standing up straight and stretching a bit. "I appreciate all the help you've been giving."

"Of course, it is my job," The AI robot responded with a nod, watching his patient as he made his way to one end of the parking lot.

"Are you sure he is ready?" I asked Frank under my breath so that Jackie couldn't hear me.

"The scans are all clear, his body is mostly healed, and all signs point to the cyberware being properly implanted," Frank confirmed with a nod. "The sensor will alert me if there are any major issues, and I brought enough equipment to supply a small army. He is as ready as we can make him."

He gestured to a large white bag with a red cross stenciled on the front. I nodded, trusting the AI to know what he was talking about. I programmed him to, after all.

"Okay, Jackie. Let's start off with a single short use, just a few seconds, relative to you," Frank said, increasing his volume slightly so Jackie could hear him clearly. "Whenever you're ready."

Jackie nodded, taking a moment to shake out his tension. After he was settled, he closed his eyes and took a deep breath, letting it out slowly.

Then he was a blur.

In a split second he was more than halfway across the parking lot, having moved across the entire space in a blink and you'll miss it moment. He stopped at the other side and turned back to face us, standing there as if he expected to collapse any moment despite the fact that he looked fine.

"Well done!" Frank called out. "I'm reading some raised vitals, elevated heart rate, stress on your nervous system, elevated temperature, slightly lower glucose levels…and few others, but… everything is within acceptable levels. How do you feel?"

"I feel… okay, like I just ran around for a bit," he responded, standing up straight and examining himself for a moment. "Nothing I haven't experienced before."

"Good, very good," Frank said with excitement. "These readings are fascinating. Why don't you try again, another short burst like before."

Jackie nodded, and after a moment, he blurred again, suddenly standing back where he had started. This time, he stumbled forward a bit, recovering after a moment.

"Readings are a bit higher," Frank said, raising his hand to tap his metallic chin. "I'm worried about the increase in temperature and his heart rate. Jackie, come back and sit down for a minute or two. Then I want to test a long sustained burst, the maximum the unit is capable of."

The next few hours were spent testing how well Jackie's body could handle the Sandevestan. At some point, both he and I put on our armor and undersuits so that we could spar a bit, which was really just me getting tossed around a bit, but really fast. Jackie also spent a not insignificant portion of that time sitting down and recovering, eating sugary foods to maintain his glucose levels. He handled the experiments pretty well, and by the end of the testing, Frank delivered the verdict.

"As you can obviously tell, since I didn't immediately tell you to stop, your physical compatibility with the Sandevistan system is pretty decent," The AI doctor explained. "The pace we set for taking breaks and refueling is more or less stable, but I suspect it is also your normal limit. What it comes down to is the frequency of use. Using it once or twice over the span of an hour, every hour, all day would leave you feeling like you put in a long, hard day's work, assuming you hydrated and consumed enough food. On the other hand, using it six times in five minutes will leave you feeling like you are recovering from a bender under the hot sun. It won't kill you, but you might wish it did."

"That's great news, Doc," Jackie said, sitting back in his chair. "I'm really all set?"

"Physically, your body is handling the stress well. You will come in for a check-up after every mission to make sure it stays that way," Frank said in no uncertain terms. "I'm also going to formulate a pre-mission supplement. It will help your body resist the shock of using the Sandevistan system several times in rapid succession."

"Yeah, alright, Doc Frank. Thanks."

"You are welcome. How do you feel mentally?"

"I… I'm happy, excited, and eager," he responded. "Other than that? I'm fine."

"Fascinating. Very well, I am giving you the green light to use your Sandevistan system while on missions," The AI confirmed with a nod. "You will come in if you or anyone else notices any change. Do you understand?"

"Yeah, Doc, I understand."

"Good. Now, take it easy for the next several hours, and then come see me in my office. I want to run a full workup, just to make sure."

Jackie nodded while Frank grabbed his things and walked away, heading back to the BD shack.

"Congrats Choom!" Kaytlyn said, thumping the bigger man on the shoulder. "Sounds like you're keeping it!"

"So far so good," He admitted with a smirk. "We'll see if I can mentally keep up with it."

"Cyberpsychosis is most prevalent with people who are already mentally unhealthy," I assured him, patting his opposite. "We will keep an eye on you, and as long as you're honest if you feel off, I have a feeling you'll be okay."

"Thank's choom," He responded, patting my shoulder as he stood. "I need to give Misty a call and tell her that everything is going well."

"Fuck that choom!" Kaytlyn said, shaking her head. "Cmon! This is something to celebrate! Tell her to get out here, and we can have a party!"

"Chica, I think it's a bit early to be throwing a party," Jackie said, scratching his cheek. "Besides, it's just a bit of chrome."

"Just a bit of chrome? Don't be stupid, Gonk! That Sandy is worth more than all the other chips you've got in you, and then some!" She said. "What's going on with you? You've been a mopey mess since we found them!"

Jackie looked at me for support, and I made a vague agreeing gesture.

"I wouldn't put it like that, but you have been putting a lot of thought into it," I responded to his unasked question. "I get it, though. It's a big deal. But she is right about this being something to celebrate. You got some major chrome, and you're still healthy. It doesn't have to be anything big, just call Misty out here, and we can do what we did when I got my skin bioware. And considering the paycheck I just got, it's on me. We can go grab some food and celebrate. To good health and friends."

"... you know what? You're right. This is something to celebrate," He said, shaking himself off a bit and nodding in agreement. "Okay, I'll give Misty a call. Do you mind if I invite Vik out as well? He is the one who installed it, after all. That, plus I can tell he has been dying to know what you've been doing out here."

"That's a good idea," I agreed with a smile. "He is more than welcome out here."

Jackie nodded and walked off, standing up straighter than before. A hunch I had missed was already gone, and he seemed to be a bit more awake and happy.

"Good call," I said, giving Kaytlyn a look. "I noticed his funk, but I was just hoping the good news would break him out of it."

"Any idea what's causing it?" She asked with a frown. "He's not the kinda guy to get mopey usually. You don't think it's the Sandy, do you?"

"No, it started before that. It's a guess, but a lot has changed over the last couple of weeks," I guessed with a shrug. "He might have just lost his bearings, between us becoming a deadly hit squad basically overnight. Now he has a bit of cyberware he never dreamed he would get. It's possible he is starting to wonder what happens after we get into the Afterlife and 'make it big.'"

She frowned, nodding at my explanation.

"Guess we will just have to keep him busy, show him what happens next," She guessed. "I should probably keep it to myself that I'm already allowed into the Afterlife as well."

"Really?" I asked, a bit surprised. "How did that happen?"

"Got hired to protect someone, ended up getting ambushed in our safehouse," She explained with a shrug. "Had to fight our way down and out of a six-story building. Ended up skipping three floors by jumping and using a big squishy solo as a cushion, then blew up the building to slow them down. Cost me an arm, but I completed the mission, so I got an invite."

"Damn."

She nodded before slapping me on the back and heading off to prepare while I went back to my trailer. I stopped by the garage first to let Samwise know what was happening, and he promised to get the MRVNs to help set up the firepit and some chairs.

I quickly took a shower and changed before stepping out to find Jackie waiting for me, his customary grin on his face.

"C'mon Genio, I got an idea for what we can eat, assuming you don't mind buying a few expensive things?"

"We are celebrating, so it's fine," I said with a smile. "As long as you don't completely bankrupt me."

"I won't, I know a guy who will give us a good deal," He said. "And I'll make you a family recipe."

We hopped into the Emperor and pulled out of town, heading back to the city. Both Vik and Misty had agreed to come, but thankfully, we had just enough room. However, rather than pick up our friends first, we went shopping. Our first stop was a higher-end store around the corporate plaza. We got a lot of looks walking in there, but they weren't crazy enough to kick us out. Jackie filled a basket with a few things while I bought some drinks, and it was all charged to me, waving my Keyphone over their scanner. I couldn't help but wince at how much my money dipped, but judging from what Jackie was hinting at, this was nothing on our next stop.

When we were done, we headed back into Valentino territory. Jackie directed me to stop by a random-looking house, nodding for me to come with him. We walked up to the front door, and Jackie knocked, ignoring the doorbell. He then talked in rapid-fire Spanish before the door opened, and a man armed with a Carnage and enough chrome to use it properly was revealed.

"Jackie, good to see you," he said, gesturing for us to come in. "Been hearing good things about you and your new team, congrats!"

"Thanks, choom. Listen, is Armando in?" Jackie asked, the armed man nodding.

"Oh, he is in, down in the basement with the goods, you know the way."

The shotgun-toting man sat down heavily on a worn-out couch, leaving Jackie and I to head downstairs. As we stepped out of the stairs and into the basement, the temperature dropped several degrees, and I could see the room was filled with freezers.

Armando, the only person in the basement other than us, greeted Jackie like an old friend. After a few minutes of polite catching up, he walked us back to one of the large freezers along the back wall. He cracked it open to reveal a bunch of frozen food. To my old life, it would have looked like an ordinary freezer, but now, the dozen bags of frozen vegetables and the pile of frozen meat looked like nirvana on Earth.

The old man laughed at me while I stared at it, my jaw hanging open. He explained that he was at the tail end of a smuggling operation that mostly dealt with food stolen from Corpo hoarders. Jackie negotiated for a bit to buy a big slab of fish, the cheapest meat he was selling. When he was done, I bought a chicken breast and a small cut of steak, as well as a few bags of frozen fruit and vegetables, including peas, corn, and strawberries. Jackie looked at me like I was crazy, but Armando looked like he had won the lottery. He offered me a cut of bacon for cheap since it was technically past its prime, and I bought that as well.

In total, including what I bought from Jackie, I spent thirty thousand eddies on meat and vegetables. Armando threw in a portable freezer for free, shaking my hand as we left.

"Jackson, that was a lot of fucking money!" Jackie said as I put the freezer in the back. "You buying with your stomach, not your wallet."

"We aren't eating most of that food, Jackie," I explained, shaking my head. "I'm handing it over to Frank and asking him to try and find a way to make more."

"What! You're not even gonna eat it?!"

"No! It's thirty thousand eddies worth of food!" I said, shaking my head. "There is no way I am eating it until I know if I can replicate it or not!"

Titanfall had never had the food issues that Cyberpunk had, since their expansion included worlds on which they could grow more food, and they never experienced the same sort of apocalypse that Cyberpunk did. Those two things combined meant that the Titanfall tech tree did not have a clear-cut solution to my food dilemma. That said, the medical equipment I had access to was way beyond what Cyberpunk had access to, and the molly makers were impressive tools that were in the same boat.

I was hoping that between the two advancements, and with the right samples, that I would be able to reproduce or create more palatable food. Up until this point, I had simply been biding my time, trying to come up with a way to get access to the samples I needed. Now I find out that Jackie had a contact this entire time. Looking back, I should have probably guessed he would, as the friendly Gonk had a contact for everything.

If I had known Jackie had access to real food… well it was probably better that I hadn't, because I probably would have ended up spending a lot of money buying some, money that, until now, we really couldn't waste. I wasn't sure if it was going to work, after all, even if I was hoping and praying it would.

After we picked up food the ingredients for Jackie's surprise dish, we stopped by Misty and Vik's to pick them up before heading back to Rocky Ridge. Vik was excited to see what we had been working on, and Misty was just happy to get out of the city. When we arrived, Duke greeted us with an excited bark. We had been forced to leave him behind since we weren't sure if the Emperor would have enough room if he had come with us. By the time we got back, a fire pit and grill area had been set up, and Kaytlyn was starting the fire.

It didn't take long after we arrived for Jackie and Misty to get to work cooking up a storm. While they did that, I gave Vik a short tour of the town, starting off by introducing him to Riggs and Murtaugh, followed by Noah and Samwise. After that I brought him to Frank, carrying the portable freezer of food with me.

"And this is Frank, our doctor droid," I explained, the medical robot reaching out to shake Vik's hand. "He's been keeping an eye on Jackie as he recovered. Frank, this is Vik, our Ripperdoc."

"Nice to meet you," Vik said, shaking the AI's hand.

"And you as well. Your work is exemplary," Frank said, genuine approval in his voice. "Jackie's latest Cyberware has healed well and was installed beautifully."

"Yeah, about that. Did he really try it today?" Vik asked, sounding a bit concerned. "It's about a day or so too early for that, but I gave it a quick look over earlier… It looked remarkably well healed."

"I prescribed a few… additive ingredients to the regimen you gave him," Frank explained. "They lower his swelling, increased receptiveness, stimulated nerve growth, nothing too intense so it would heal as stable as possible."

"Where did you get those?" Vik asked, confusion in his voice and face.

"We made them," Frank explained, gesturing around his workspace. "We have access to… a few extraordinary tools here."

Vik gave me a look, and I shrugged.

"I'm sorry, I know that look, but how quickly do you think a corpo would be kicking down our doors after we start feeding you miracle cures?" I pointed out. "We have our own Corpo… You know, maybe I should have invited her… Anyway, we have someone working on a way to prevent that from happening, but until then, and honestly after then too, we have to be careful."

"Yeah, I get it," He said, letting out a long breath. "Just so sick of giving kids drugs I know are cheap or inferior. Ignore me, I shouldn't have brought down the mood."

I nodded in commiseration, patting his shoulder before putting the portable freezer up on one of the clinic countertops.

"Frank, I have a new project for you," I said, getting the AI's attention. "I want you to work on scanning and analyzing the food that's in here as precisely and completely as you can. I want you to have records of every aspect of its internal structure, chemical makeup, everything. Then, I want you to work with Samwise to come up with a way to print it on a modified molly-maker. Compromise on that part if you have to, but do your best."

"Interesting. Sounds like an acceptable challenge," Frank said, nodding his head. "I will see what we can come up with. Working alongside Samwise will be an interesting experience. If I might make a request?"

"Yeah, of course."

"Working on biological projects such as this would be made significantly more simple with proper laboratory space," He explained before gesturing to the room around us. "This room is… acceptable for my current needs providing emergency treatment and care, but it is ill-fitted for proper experimentation. On top of that, should you ever have the... desire to study biology, it will come in handy."

I frowned, and for a moment, my mind was filled with images of what would happen if my next tech tree was Zerg, or maybe the Yuuzhan Vong from Star Wars. I might voluntarily skip those if I ever got them, just to keep any of their stuff from existing in this world, but having a biological research space was very smart. So far, I had only rolled tech trees that require engineering, but who knew what I would get next?

"That's a really good point, Frank," I admitted with a frown. "But it's going to be a while before I can build you a full lab."

"Why not allow me to work with Noah to convert the BD shack into an appropriate space?" He asked, tilting his metallic head slightly.

"Because we use it as a meeting and break area," I explained. "We were gonna tear it down and put something else here, but we have plenty of room…"

I turned and stepped out of the side room, looking around the BD shack interior. After a moment, I nodded and returned.

"Okay, how about this. We seal off the open space on the second floor and convert that into a lab space for you," I explained. "You can even add something to get equipment up to the lab using the bar space. The rest of the bottom floor stays the same… and I want you to keep all the equipment movable or at least marginally transportable. Eventually, we are going to knock this building down, and I want your gear to be moved out into its new home before that."

"Thank you, Jackson, I will start discussing the idea with Noah," Frank said with a short bow. "I am sure he will run further plans by your first."

After discussing what his first steps would be, all three of us made our way out of the BD shack and back outside, where everyone had gathered around the fire pit. The pit was now full of burning cacti and bramble while Jackie stood close by, still cooking up a storm with Misty's help.

"Sit down and grab a beer!" He said as we got closer. "No more talking about business or projects!"

Vik chuckled and shook his head, both of us claiming seats. Murtaugh was sitting down beside Kaytlyn, while Riggs leaned against the garage. Even Samwise and Noah were close by, sitting on a crate, listening and enjoying a break.

About twenty minutes after we sat down, all of us drinking and laughing around the fire, Jackie's feast was done. He set out the food along a folding table, showing off a line of ingredients for fish tacos, including the perfectly grilled fish. Misty and Vik, both of whom had apparently had these before, were in line first, but soon enough, we had all gotten our food. Once we were all sitting and eating, the only noise making it around the fire pit was the crackle of burning wood and the occasional noise of appreciation.

"Holy fuck, Jackie, these are Nova," Kaytlyn said eventually between bites. "What the hell?"

"I can't take credit, Chica, it's a family recipe, handed down on my mother's side," He explained with a smile and a shrug. "I made a solemn vow to Mama Welles to never make them with anything other than real fish, and never for people who aren't friends, or better yet, family."

With a smile, he raised his beer, holding it up to all of us.

"To family," He said. "Always happy to cheer you up and knock you out of your blues."

"To family," Everyone said, taking a long drink.

I just barely managed to smother my chuckle and keep from calling Jackie Vin Diesel since none of them would get the reference anyway.

Together, we spent the rest of the night talking and laughing, trading stories and making jokes. I was happy to see that all of the AI were fitting in, and equally satisfied that no one questioned how the obvious robot could make a joke good enough to get Jackie to spew beer from his nose. When the night was finally winding down, MRVN units showed everyone their trailers, and I spent some time putting out the fire and cleaning up. When I was done, I said goodnight to Samwise and the others before making my way back to my bed, Duke trailing after me.

Chapter Thirty Four New

I woke up a little later than normal the next day, quickly heading outside to find that the garage was a bustle of activity. Sometime during the night, the addition had finally been completed, and Noah, Samwise, and the MRVN units had started moving in the molly makers and hooking them up. I made my way inside to find that there were already a dozen small makers along the wall closest to my workspace, and they were all already working to create more parts for more machines. Further into the addition, a dozen more molly makers were being put together, specifically the medium and up sizes. I worked my way to Samwise, who was watching over the construction of the largest maker we would have in the building.

"Damn, Samwise, how many makers did you have ready to go?"

"Quite a few, Jackson," He responded, passing me a tablet filled with more detailed information. "We have been printing the parts whenever the makers are free and storing them in several of the less livable trailer homes. After stripping them of furniture and making a few quick repairs, they made excellent temporary storage."

"Well… good work," I said, watching as a MRVN unit pushed in a cart of more parts. "This is much faster than I thought we would be going."

"Sir, I expect we will be finished transporting the parts in the next hour or so. After that, four concrete trucks are scheduled to arrive and pour the foundations for the first twenty-four hardpoints," Noah explained. "By the time the concrete has solidified, these facilities will be complete, meaning we can immediately begin fabricating the defensive structures."

"Sounds like a solid plan," I said with a nod. "I spotted a few MRVN units working last night, I assume they were digging the foundations?"

"Correct."

"Excellent work, guys," I said with a smile, patting them both on the shoulder. "I knew I could trust the both of you, and you're still outdoing my expectations. Thank you for all your hard work."

We chatted a bit more, discussing what the final defensive hard points would look like, as well as their current demand for MRVNs, before I went into my section of the workshop. There, weighting for me was the finished gadgets I had designed the day before, the equipment we would use to clear the large gap between the Tyger building and the nearest civilian building in our current mission. I spent a few minutes going over one of them, checking to make sure that everything was functional and together, before putting on my full uniform, including my jump kit.

I was climbing up to the sniper's nest on top of the temporary security building when Kaytlyn spotted me.

"What are you doing?" She asked, standing at the base of the ladder as I looked down. "What's that you got with you?"

"It's the key to jumping the gap!" I explained before running and leaping off the roof of the tall building.

My jump kit fired off just as my feet were leaving the roof, carrying me forward a significant distance, before my forward momentum started to fade. Just before the downward momentum really started to affect my forward movement, I held my glider up above my head, and the winged device activated. It looked depressingly like a Fortnight glider, with the wings and base replaced by three large GREMLIN thrust paddles. They fired hard, using a row of lightweight capacitors to output considerably more thrust than normal, enough so that I could feel the hairs on the back of my neck being dragged around by the moving air.

Once the internal gyroscope stabilized from my movements, the wings tilted back slightly, and what had been a slow forward-moving descent was now a much quicker forward descent. I traveled further and further down the road, past the garage and past the first parking lot. When I finally touched down, I was all the way down at the first row of trailers along the paved road.

I skidded a bit, but when I stabilized I couldn't help but jump, pumping my fist and shouting.

"That's what I'm fucking talking about!" I shouted, watching as Kaytlyn cheered from about halfway back to the security building, rushing toward me.

"Choom, that was fucking Nova!" She shouted, slapping my side. "I assumed you were gonna make some sort of grappling gun or something!"

"Nope, this is the solution," I explained, a big old smile on my face. "It's a bit overkill, but nothing wrong with that."

"Overkill? Jay, you glided like twice the distance we needed, easy!" She said, shaking her head. "Maybe more!"

"Gotta make sure," I responded with a shrug. "So, I guess you like it?"

"I'm pissed that I don't get to use one during the mission," She said with a frown, though that quickly washed away when she reached out and snagged it from me. "But I can use it now!"

"Hey, be careful!" I called out after her as she rushed back to the temporary security building. "You need to put on your armor first, if you fall without your jump kit you're gonna break something!"

The overeager woman skidded to a stop, and passed the glider to Jackie, who had just stepped out from beside the garage, Misty right beside him. He looked confused as to what he was holding, and why Kaytlyn had run past him like a bat out of hell.

"What's going on, Genio? We heard you cheering," Jackie asked, looking over the glider. "What did you build this time?"

"That's what's going to get us between buildings for our gig," I explained, accepting the equipment as he passed it to me. "Just watch."

I quickly climbed up the bird's nest again, once again leaping off with a boost from my jump kit. I could hear Misty gasp as I did, before once again activating the glider. Rather than aiming down the road, this time, I aimed for the garage, landing smoothly on the much closer target.

Jackie blurred up the stairs, literally, activating his Sandy and damn near appearing beside me. He looked just as excited, if not more so, than Kaytlyn.

"Holy hell, Genio! You got some serious air time!" He said,l moving around, trying to get a better view of the glider. "That thing going to hold me and Riggs?"

"Yeah, should do fine with either of you," I assured him, pulling it back when he reached out to touch it. "Go get your gear on if you want to try it."

I chuckled as he nodded and ran, heading back down to the trailer he had claimed as his own. I made my way down a bit slower, stopping by Misty.

"Are you sure that thing is safe?" She asked, chewing a bit on her cheek. "It's not gonna run out of batteries or anything, right?"

"It's as safe as I can make it," I assured her. "And even if it does fail, that's what these are for."

I reached back and tapped my jump kit, directing Misty's attention to it.

"This is a jump kit, and it's what gave me that initial boost of forward momentum," I explained. "It would automatically stabilize and engage to prevent any injury from falling, and it works from pretty high up. Not terminal velocity or anything, but certainly a dozen stories or so."

That seemed to mollify her slightly, though she still didn't look ecstatic about it. Unsurprisingly, Kaytlyn returned first, snagging the glider and running across the street to the gunner's nest. She was wearing all her armor and her jump kit, using it to boost halfway up the ladder before scurrying up the rest. With no hesitation whatsoever, she leaped off the building, her kit launching her forward. Because she liked to show off, she did a flip mid-air before activating the glider and slowly gliding to the ground.

Jackie showed up, followed by a groggy but interested-looking Vik. Jackie was about to run after Kaytlyn, but I stopped him.

"There are more in the garage. Just make sure you turn it on," I warned. "It's the big green button on the end of the handlebar."

Jackie's first leap was a bit more hesitant than Kaytlyn's, but he let out a whoop of excitement as he slowly glided to the ground. Vik watched with wide eyes as his good friends floated through the sky, eventually angling down and skidding to a stop along the asphalt.

"Well… That's not what I expected to wake up to," He admitted, rubbing the back of his head. "Is that safe?"

"Yup, as safe as I can make it," I repeated. "I'd offer for you guys to try it, but you don't have the right armor."

"Yeah, thanks, but hell no," Vik said, sounding horrified by the idea. "I'm feeling nauseous just watching them. There's a reason I work in the ground."

"Phobia of heights?"

"It's only a phobia if it's unreasonable."

I chuckled and nodded, using my hand to block the rising sun from my eyes, watching Kaytlyn jump again. The two of them jumped several more times, eventually trying to compete on who could get the furthest. Even Riggs tried it twice, wanting to get a feel for the activity before we actually had to do it under pressure.

Eventually, while trying to improve on her earlier flip, Kaytlyn finally pushed too far, and the glider's gyroscope lost its bearings. She spiraled for a moment, the glider almost recovering before her jump kit kicked in, boosting at full to cushion her landing. Misty gasped, and Vik almost threw up, but she climbed to her feet and dusted herself off.

"I'm okay!" She called out, wobbling for a second before shaking it off completely. "Wooo, that was a bit of a trip."

"Your welcome, would have sucked falling from the sky without the armor, wouldn't it?" I pointed out, the woman waving away my words.

"Yeah, yeah, I never said putting on safety gear was wrong, Gonk," She responded. Before I could react, Jackie spoke up.

"Hey, Jay… how hard would it be to fly with this?" Jackie asked, looking down at his glider, having made his way over when Kaytlyn fell. "I mean… the jump kits put out some thrust, right? Couldn't they like... boost us up or something?"

For a moment, I stared at him before quickly doing some math in my head. By design, the jump kits put out a considerable amount of thrust for short bursts. That said, they could be modified to fire less powerfully but for a more prolonged period…

"It's not impossible, but I would have to modify the programming of your jump kit," I answered, running my hand through my hair as I considered the idea. "It would also be a mess to fly, it's really not designed for that. I could make something else that was… More stable. Even then, it would probably be a bit clunky, and you would be a pretty easy target."

"Easy target?! Bendejo, who cares about getting shot, I just wanna fly around!" He said, waving around the town. "Do you have any idea how much fun that would be?"

"This is crazy enough, Jackie," I said, shaking my head. "We start flying around all day, and someone is going to see and come find out how we are doing it. Someday though, someday I'll make you something that you can fly around in, promise."

"Fucking corpo bastards, ruining all our fun," he said, though he nodded in understanding. "I get it, choom, sucks though."

"It really does," I agreed, shaking my head. "I wish I didn't have to worry about it. I would be releasing all sorts of shit by now. Unfortunately, we can't. At least not yet."

The mood turned down a bit after that conversation, though we ended up having a relatively enjoyable breakfast with everyone. Once we were done, Jackie drove everyone into town while I, as usual, headed to the garage. The plan was to attack our target the following night under the cover of darkness, and I needed to prepare two things.

First, I needed to put the final touches on our gliders. The design was finished, and as they were, they worked perfectly, but for this specific mission, they needed to be altered slightly. It only took about an hour to finish, but once it was done, I had them put to the side, with a specter watching over them to keep anyone from using them again. I had a MRVN unit print and assemble another one for people to use if they wanted.

With the gliders finished, I had something else to design. As a rescue mission, our main priority was, unsurprisingly, to rescue our target. It didn't matter how tough or clever we were. If Akiko was hurt during our rescue attempt, we failed. One would think that the Tyger Claws would hold their fire so as to not hurt the woman they had gone through so much effort to drag back to Night City, but I did not trust them to be that smart. While our plan was designed to avoid as much combat as possible, it still meant we would be dragging around an unarmored, squishy civilian through what was probably going to be our most intense firefight yet.

Not that I had a particularly long list at this point.

Rather than just buy a kevlar vest and cross my fingers, I had a better idea. I designed a loose, kevlar, and Alien Alloy suit, one that anyone smaller than Jackie would be swimming in. Then, I laced it with my advanced artificial muscles. When activated, that would pull the suit tight, scrunching up all the access material into areas that wouldn't get in the way. The result was a one-size-fits-all suit that could be put on as easily as stepping into a pair of particularly loose sweatpants. These would then immediately tighten up to normal pants level, making them more reasonable to wear while moving around.

This full-body suit wouldn't be particularly athletic, nor would it offer any sort of physical enhancement other than durability. Primarily, this was because I didn't want the user to get overconfident because they could bench press a small MaiMai, and suddenly decide they could help. On top of that, while I was being paid to rescue her, I didn't know much about Akiko, nor would I necessarily know much about anyone I ended up using this on. It was designed for rapid deployment and protection, but I wasn't about to hand over some sort of uber-strength-enhancing armor just because someone paid me to help them.

For the same reason, the suit could also tense up, locking the wearer up completely. This would prevent them from doing something stupid should they get any dumb ideas like wanting revenge before we left. It would also allow Riggs to pick them up like a sack of potatoes and carry them, just in case Carlos was wrong and this hadn't been a kidnapping, or, again, any future clients could be kept out of trouble for their own good.

I was putting the finishing touches on the design, handing off the printing process to a MRVN unit, when the first of the concrete trucks arrived. It wasn't really necessary for me to be around for the pouring, Riggs played Borg well enough to cover in-person stuff, but I took a break and headed out to the perimeter anyway. The concrete truck was already prepared to pour out into a foundation framework along one side of the asphalt road. Riggs was standing close by, talking to someone wearing a hard hat and an orange vest. The AI noticed me, directing the man he was talking to to me.

After a quick conversation, confirming that all foundations were dug and ready, as well as a quick walk around the perimeter to show them all to him, the man hopped back into the truck and began to pour. Soon, the vehicle was driving along the perimeter, filling frames and running over bush and occasional cacti. Not long after the first truck showed up, two more arrived, eventually followed by a fourth. With permission and an explanation already given, the three other trucks and their operators immediately got to work, and within three hours, they were done.

After a quick check to make sure everything was correctly filled, and a quick test to confirm they had used good-quality concrete. When we were done, I shook hands with the man in the hard hat, who thanked me for the job as the other three trucks rolled away.

"Sir, this concrete should be ready to work on by tomorrow night and fully cured for the following afternoon," Noah explained as the last truck pulled away. "With your permission, I would like to set up half of the completed molly makers preparing parts."

"...that sounds reasonable," I agreed with a nod. "When the makers are complete, use the new and freed-up machines to make five more MRVNs and ten more specters, arming each of them with a rifle and a pistol. I want them in one of the empty trailers, ready and waiting for us to need them."

"Understood, sir. I will get everything started."

Noah walked away, and for a moment, I stood there, looking out into the wastes. I could see Night City in the distance, and part of me wondered just what kind of threat would meet us out here first. I knew for a fact that the other shoe would drop eventually, it was just a matter of time. I needed to reach out to some people and figure out who was willing and able to help by being our cover. My first instinct was to reach out to Dakota, because, depending on who was around, a nomad family would be the perfect fit for what I needed.

In canon, the Aldecados should be around, but who knew if that was true or not.

With the foundations for our first defenses poured, I went back to the garage to start putting together the suit. It was basically printed in batches that I just fused together and finished off with a control unit that ran along the user's back. It looked like the same nervous system readers that functioned as the brain of our suits, but was really just a power and control unit, taking commands from a remote that anyone on the team could be carrying.

Call me paranoid, but I was not about to have the rescue mission go wrong because Akiko was confused and did something stupid. I would rather drag her along screaming and trying to break free of the locked-up suit, than try and coral her as she, or any other future target, ran around panicking or otherwise causing problems.

I was testing the rescue suit, having Kaytlyn put it on and try to break free, and testing the range of motion and things like that when Jackie returned. He had spent some time with Misty, then visited Carlos to tell him when to show up here to pick up his wife. Finally, he had gone to the Coyote to say hello to his mother.

When he arrived to see Kaytlyn jumping into the rescue suit, he unsurprisingly had questions. When I explained the creation, he nodded in understanding.

"Not a bad idea, wouldn't be the first civilian to get themselves in trouble 'cause they panicked," He admitted, his experience shining through. "Though I don't think Akiko quite counts as a real villain, not if she grew up a Claw."

After confirming that the suit worked, we all went about our ways to prepare. I went over everyone's weapons, checking for any issues and even tinkering a bit to update them, though nothing massive.

Jackie spent a while practicing and training with his Sandy, learning how to shoot and dodge while moving as a blur. By and large, we were basically just killing time until our mission was on. We all went to bed early, knowing that we would be up late for the following night.

Unfortunately, while I was hoping to get some extra sleep, going to bed early, for me at least, just meant waking up early the next day. Now I had a whole day to kill, the sun barely rising as I walked to the garage, Duke running around me. Samwise greeted me, assembling a mag rifle at his workstation with his small arms while typing on the computer with his normal ones.

"Jackson, we completed the installation of molly makers last night," He explained. "Current projects are now specter and weapons production, as well as the armor plating and heavy weapons for the hardpoints."

After having a brief discussion with Noah and Murtaugh, we concluded that using Alien Alloy to reinforce the armored hard points was not worth the effort. My Alien Alloy production hadn't really changed that much, mostly because it wasn't all that necessary anymore. I liked using it as armor because it was light and very strong, but I had gained a lot of material science knowledge from Titanfall, so I had several alloys that were actually comparable to the strange material. It was still unbeatable in terms of strength-to-weight ratio, but for an emplacement that wasn't going to be moving, what was the point of making it lighter?

Still, I should probably bump up the production rates for the impressive metal. I would hate to run into a project that AA would genuinely work well in, only to realize I couldn't produce it nearly as fast as I wanted to. Worse, I would have to engage with the building process directly since it was a black-boxed material, meaning only I could make it.

Either way, the production of the armored hard points was going to include mainly, if not wholly, mundane materials, though mixed and matched to create some impressive alloys and combinations. Luckily, the polymer cubes that we were producing by the thousands would finally be used as filler for the armored barriers.

The material had other uses, of course, namely in several advanced polymers that were used in Titanfall tech, but only in small amounts. We produced a staggering amount of them from the mass recycler, and after some intense processing, they would be the perfect barricade filler.

"Alright, buddy. Just keep me updated on how that's going. I can't wait to see what you guys have come up with."

Sam nodded and focused on his work while I sat down in my chair and spun around. I had a few hours, several in fact, to kill before it was time to start gearing up. So, rather than solve the problem that I just described, namely the AA rate of production, I started working on a design that had been sitting in the back of my head.

Now that I had Duke and Kaytlyn had her cat, I was starting to wonder, what if I made an animal for everyone? One for Jackie, each of the AIs, and even something simple and generic for the specters and the MRVNs. In fact, the MRVNs could really use something to carry tools and materials, and the specter's largest flaw, by far, was how useless they were in a melee. A robot that could compensate for either of those issues would massively increase their effectiveness…

With a smirk, I leaned over my computer and opened up my design software. First, I would make something for Jackie, since I knew my AI could be more patient than him. At first, I considered making him some sort of bird or something small, but eventually, I realized something. He was not a gentle person to fight beside, he tended to walk right into the thick of it. That meant that whatever animal I built for him, it needed to be something that could hit hard and get hit hard, all while still kicking ass.

An hour of brainstorming later, and I settled on building him a big old fuck off ram. With the right bit of flair and detail, I was sure I could make something that could bash down doors and would still fit Jackie as a companion.

I was mostly through the design process and was starting to tinker with the coding, using Duke's basic programming as a base, when I realized that it was late afternoon and it was time to start getting ready. All of us put our armor on, tested our weapons, and loaded up on ammo. Each of us took another try with a newly made glider, not one of the mission ones, of course, just to make sure we could handle it while we were all loaded up.

When we were finally ready, we all piled into the Emperor. It was a bit of a tight fit, especially with all our gear, but it wasn't the time to complain about having no legroom.

We left the Rocky Ridge at five o'clock, and by six, we had backed the Emperor into a long alleyway close to the row of buildings across the street from our target. Carefully and quietly, we unloaded, the sky getting darker and darker by the minute. With our weapons strapped to our backs and our gliders over them, we slowly began to climb a ladder, with Riggs in the lead. Once we were all on the rooftop, we began the process of making our way from one to the other, keeping low and quiet as we jumped, boosted, and climbed our way across the skyline.

Finally, after ten minutes, we reached the last building, the corner from which we would have to leap across to get to the Tyger Claw compound roof. Once we were settled, I carefully made my way to the furthest edge of the building.

Taking cover beside an air condition unit, I peered around and down slightly. We had the perfect angle to see the roof of our target. Currently, there were five people, all dressed and tattooed like Claws, all heavily armed and significantly chipped. Unsurprisingly, they were armed with sniper rifles, ranging from smaller calibers meant to mop up, to larger rifles meant to put heavy targets down.

After confirming we were in the right location, I slid back into cover behind a large vent and gave Jackie a thumbs-up. He nodded, sitting down out of sight as well. We were finally in position, and all we had to do was wait for the sun to set, and for Kaytlyn, who slid in beside me and was peeking over the lip of our building, to confirm that Akiko was, in fact, where she was supposed to be, namely safe in her apartment room.

Time passed, and eventually, as the city slowly got darker, sunlight fading as streetlights and more came on, Kaytlyn pulled back.

"The target is in her room, under guard but safe," Kayt said, pulling back from the edge, and sitting behind cover. "We are ready to go whenever."

"Right… Well, settle in, everyone. Another hour or so, and then we move." Jackie said, the rest of us nodding in confirmation.

Chapter Thirty Five New

We took turns keeping watch, which was little more than peeking over the side of the building to make sure that the Tyger Claws were not suddenly freaking out over anything. Eventually, after another two hours, the sky was as dark as it was going to get, which meant it was time for us to move.

Riggs, Jackie, and I all lined up, our gliders in hand, standing at the far back of our temporary waiting space on the roof. Kaytlyn got herself situated, raising her sniper rifle up over the side of the building. For a long moment, she was silent, adjusting her position slightly. Finally, after nearly two minutes of her just looking through the scope, she finally spoke a single, simple word.

"Go."

Riggs was first to move, followed by Jackie and then myself, each of us pausing long enough to give the first person time to boost off the edge of the roof toward our target. By the time Jackie's feet left the roof, Riggs had activated his glider, the same for Jackie and myself. Just after the sound of my glider turning on filled my ears, the crackling thrumming sound that meant the XCOM tech was working at full power, the rapid snapping of Kaytlyn's weapon echoed across the street.

Ahead of us, on the roof of the target building, we watched as, one by one, Kaytlyn punched holes in the gang members who were keeping watch. The last one had just enough time to turn and raise his weapon before his head exploded.

Seconds later, Riggs touched down on the roof, quickly walking further along to give Jackie and me more room. Without breaking stride, he walked forward ten feet and then fifteen to the right. Then, as Jackie touched down, he placed his glider upside down on the roof. A few seconds later, as my feet touched the roof, he cracked open a red safety cover and flicked the switch underneath. As Jackie and I quickly moved to the far side of the roof, hiding behind an air conditioner unit, Riggs tapped the glider activation switch three times rapidly, which turned on the thruster paddles, pushing the glider down against the roof.

The device set, Riggs rushed over to join us, carefully leaning over Jackie and me to protect us both. Before I could complain that he should be in better cover, the shaped charge I had rigged around the frame of the glider, extra special for this mission, detonated, sending dust and shards of concrete flying as the explosion rattled my teeth.

If anyone had somehow missed the shots Kaytlyn had taken, they had definitely heard that.

When the dust began to settle, I could see that the explosives had worked, punching a surprisingly clean hole down to the floor below. With our way down complete and any security or mounting forces now bypassed, all three of us rushed to the hole and jumped down.

Through the hole was a dust-choked hallway, the tattered remains of two people, and a whole lot of stunned Tyger Claws. Riggs, who was first through the hole, immediately opened fire with his pistols, taking two chunks out of a katana-wielding maniac before he could take a swing.

"Riggs, cover the stairs, Jay, the hall!" Jackie called out as he slammed his axe into the skull of a tattooed Claw as they came out of their rooms swinging.

I nodded and sprayed down the nearest Claw, forcing the rest to take cover as he dropped. I stopped at the intersection of three hallways and peeked out around the corner, barely pulling back in time for a man wielding an M2038 shotgun to blow a watermelon-sized hole in the corner I was hiding behind. I cursed as the pellets and chunks of material scattered off my armor. Rather than risking getting shot by that, I simply pushed my submachine gun around the corner and dumped half the mag. This time, when I peaked, the shotgun-toting man was on the ground.

"Get clear!"

Jackie shouted as he ran past me, pulling me around the corner of the hall I had just cleared. A moment later, his-shaped charged glider detonated, the explosion echoing down the hall. Both of us would have been deafened by the shockwave that kicked up dust all the way down to and past us, but both our helmets protected us from that. We finished off the rest of the claws who were struggling to keep up, before charging back around the corner.

We came around just in time to watch Riggs drop down into the newly made hole, both of us to follow him in without hesitation. As I landed and cleared the drop zone, I saw that Riggs had his mag cannon out, aiming down the hall at a seven-foot-tall chromed-out bastard. The borg was charging at us, shouting obscenities in Japanese as he did. His gorilla arms were bulky and looked powerful, while his legs were the kind of cyberware that looked industrial and brutal. Riggs obviously didn't care to fight him, instead firing a single shot from his mag cannon, driving a doub-fist-sized hole through his sternum, as well as blowing the arm off of a katana-wielding punk behind him.

Riggs fired a second shot, obliterating the borgs head and killing two more bastards behind him, before he quickly clipped his cannon to his back and drew his pistols.

While Jackie covered the stairs and Riggs covered the hall, it was my turn to place the shaped charge. I yanked my glider free from the magnets along the back of my armor, quickly putting it on the ground before carefully activating it.

"Stand clear!" I shouted, running to Jackie and pulling him down the stairs.

As we took cover from the explosion, I got a look at why we were bothering with them in the first place. As Katylyn and Riggs had predicted during our brainstorming session, the floors were separated by rather robust-looking security doors. We would have had to clear them floor by floor, breaking through each security door, which would have slowed us down considerably, giving more time for the Tyger claws to prepare. With the glider-directed breaching charges, we were able to make incredible time and disorient the Claws at each breaching point in one quick move.

We dropped down after Riggs again, who was now grappling with another borg, this one prepackaged model decorated by dragon paints and golden highlights. I didn't recognize the make or model, but if Jackie or I had gone first, they would have been standing in the hall waiting for us. Judging by how Riggs was struggling with him, neither of us would have faired very well, though Jackie did have his sandy.

Thankfully, we had seen that issue coming, and Riggs had gone first, meaning Jackie and I simply shot around him, taking down the borg's support team. They dropped easily, and while Jackie turned to cover the stairs, I watched as Riggs twisted the borgs arm around violently, the gangster's limb unable to keep up with strange angle, its elbow joint crumpling in a shower of white lubricated fluid.

With one arm now useless, Riggs manhandled the borg, slamming his now free hand into its chest, tearing out chunks of parts before he finally gripped something and yanked at it violently. The borg's head jerked back and down, pulling partially into its frame as Riggs yanked half of its reinforced, robotic spine out through a hole he punched in its stomach plates. He followed it up by tearing the borg's other hand free from its shoulder.

"Damn, Riggs," I said once the borg had fallen to the ground. "You got something against spines? Your damn near tore out that scavs too."

"Can't move if you can't communicate with your body," He responded with a shrug.

I snorted before quickly looking around. We had descended enough floors, now we just needed to find the right room. Riggs covered me as I oriented myself, finally finding the right place. I was just hooking myself into the door's controls, ready to use my own enhanced auto-hacker when the thick security door suddenly slid open.

A string of Japanese curses followed me as I dove backward, a muscular Tyger Claw already stepping out of the room. He was wearing pants and a black oni mask, a glowing red katana already swinging downward at me. Despite my surprisingly quick reaction time, he still managed to slash me twice, his body blurring as he activated some sort of speed-enhancing device, probably a Sandy.

Both of his strikes hit my chest, carving an X into the durable metal plating. Even with the multiple layers, I could feel the heat of the blade.

My attempt to dodge threw me across the hall, the far wall dented from the impact. I lowered my hand to grab my weapon, only for the Claw to blur again. I instinctively flinched, raising my arm to protect myself, only for another blur to blitz the Claw, Jackie's ax catching the glowing katana.

"Hey fucker, pick on someone your own speed," Jackie said, winding up and cracking the bigger man's jaw with his armored fist, both of them blurring as sparks and glowing trails flew.

As Jackie fought the fellow Sandy user, I was forced to take his place covering the stairs, spraying a pair of reinforcements before turning my head to look back at Riggs.

"Fuck safe, smash it, Riggs!"

The brutal AI nodded, quickly dispatching a pair of charging gangsters coming from down the hall. He turned to the door, which had closed after the katana-wielding man had crossed the threshold. Riggs ran around Jackie and his opponent, who blurred again, this time whipping around and coming back to normal speed. Jackie didn't fall for it, blurring for a moment before both of them stopped. The gangster's katana was hanging limply to the side, while Jackie's axe was buried in his opponent's neck, deep enough that it flopped at a weird angle from the force of impact.

Before the dead man could finish sliding off Jackie's weapon, Riggs slammed himself into the door, the thick, reinforced paneling buckling and bending under the impact. With a backward yank, Riggs pulled himself free and raised his leg, slamming one, two, three kicks into the door, each one cracking dust free from the building's concrete structure. Finally,l after the third kick, the door gave way, slamming inward and sending sparks everywhere.

Jackie blurred inside, sneaking through the doorway before the door even finished slamming open, leaving Riggs to step into the apartment second and me to slowly pick up the back end, charging in with my weapon raised, just in time to hose down a gangster with a tanto, trying to catch Jackie off guard from his blind spot.

Of course, before Jackie could even realize that I had saved him from being stabbed, returned the favor by shooting past me and taking down a shotgun-wielding punk coming from a room off the side.

"Where's Riggs?" I asked.

Before Jackie could respond, a crumpled mess of what used to be a chromed-out Tyger came flying from another side room, slamming into a window and shattering it, the corpse falling out of view. Riggs stepped out from that room, his chest marked with a few dents and a single line of scoring.

"Akiko is currently locked in the bathroom, alone," He explained. "Didn't want to hurt her trying to get her out."

"Riggs, Jay, hold the door," Jackie said. "Let's hope she recognizes my voice."

Riggs and I nodded, both of us turning to the door. Riggs actually made his way to it to peek outside. He quickly pulled back, reached down to his belt, and pulled out a quartet of grenades, quickly throwing two down each hall. The explosions kicked up dust as the pressure wave washed over us, but this time, when the AI brute looked, he nodded confidently.

"Clear for now," he said. "We-"

A groaning came from behind us, and I whirled, ready to put down any survivors. When no immediate target presented itself, I stepped further into the apartment. Five minutes ago, it would have been a pretty decent place, with more open space than most people in Night City got to enjoy. Now, it was a warzone, with half a dozen dead bodies and a consistent amount of blood and gore. There was also an older man, still alive, with a singular gut shot in his stomach. He was struggling to sit up, collapsed back on a half-broken coffee table. The moment he spotted me, he started choking out words, none of which I understood. Rather than listen to him, I pulled out my pistol, ready to finish him off.

"Wait!" A woman's voice called out. "Please don't."

I rolled my eyes, having foreseen this very problem when we first took the mission. I turned to see Jackie and our target, Carlos's wife, Akiko.

"That's my father," She said, stepping forward with a surprising amount of confidence.

"Right, well-"

Before I could finish, she reached over to Jackie and pulled one of his pistols from its holster. With a pretty fast draw, she put three rounds in the shocked-looking man, two in the chest and one in the head.

"Sorry, I just wanted to do it myself."

I looked at her for a moment while she passed Jackie his gun back, who accepted it back with an equally stunned look on his face. After a moment, the sound of Riggs firing his mag cannon, as well as the accompanying explosion of noise, kicked me into high gear.

"Great, fantastic, I assume Jackie explained the situation?" I asked, waiting for her to nod. "Wonderful, in that case…"

I made my way to Riggs, grabbing the wound and bound mass that was the emergency escape suit I had built, pulling it off his back. I unbuckled several straps, flicking the metal and cloth armor open before passing it to her.

"Put this on, it's one size fits all armor to keep you from getting hit by a stray," I explained, watching her look at it with a raised eyebrow. "Please? We are technically on a schedule here, so..."

She winced and started pulling on the armor, struggling a bit before I helped. When she was wearing the very baggy pile of metal and cloth, she gave me a look like I was an idiot. Rather than correct her, I tapped the controls along her back, and the suit tightened and sealed itself in seconds, pulling all of the bunched slack to her back. The last bit to tighten was the hood and mask, giving me a chance to adjust and fix it as it seated itself on her head.

It looked dumb as hell, but she was protected and wasn't going to get insta popped by gonk with bad aim.

"Alright, Jackie," I said, giving him a thumbs up. "We are ready to rock."

"Okay. I'll call her in."

Jackie pulled out his radio and started talking to it while I switched places with Riggs, covering the door. At this point, the hall was more broken than intact, with massive chunks of the building blown out by Riggs' mag cannon. I turned to watch as Riggs unloaded his weapon, dropping the cylinder magazine, and pulled another from his back, slapping it home in one fluid movement. He quickly kicked the balcony door open, raising his weapon and looking down to the grounds of the compound. I could see him through the door as he opened fire, raining down lethal power from on high like a fucking meteor.

"Okay, She is on her way, one minute!" Jackie said, looking out of the balcony and guiding Akiko to the open space. "How we looking, Riggs?"

"... clear enough." He said, after firing two more rounds.

I reached down to my belt and grabbed a pair of grenades, throwing them down the hall, just as Riggs had done before, mostly to discourage people from rushing in the next fifteen seconds, before turning and jogging to the balcony, the explosions rocking the building as the grenades went off.

"Jackie, how are we getting down?" Akiko asked. "You got a rope or-"

Riggs reached around the small woman, firmly grasping a reinforced loop especially built into the armor. Then, while holding her up and out, he rolled over the railing, grabbing the edge with his free hand. While Akiko screamed, Riggs dropped, falling two floors before he snagged another balcony edge, stopping just enough to absorb the sudden deceleration before repeating the pattern. Jackie and I watched them both descend, leaning over the railing.

"You sure the jump kits can handle this height?" Jackie asked calmly.

"Of course I am," I answered. "I just wasn't sure one could handle Riggs and a passenger."

"Fair."

I laughed before jumping up and over the railing, letting out a whoop as I fell. I could hear Jackie doing the same, right behind me, angling slightly so we wouldn't hit each other. Our jump kits activated just as Riggs reached the ground, Princess carrying Akiko through the corpse and rubble-covered compound front entrance. As the G-forces made me sag, I idly noted I could see where each one of Riggs's mag cannon shots had impacted, destroying the front gate, four guards, and three cars.

My feet touched the broken and cracked asphalt a moment before Jackies did, so I pushed forward, rushing past Riggs as he made his way through the front gate, still holding Akiko. Our rescue target had sagged, hanging limply enough that I was pretty sure she passed out. Before I could even worry that maybe something worse had happened, she began to stir, jerking back to consciousness and wildly looking around, breathing heavily and panicking.

"What? How? Wh…."

"It's alright Akiko, hard parts over," I called out as I covered the streets, spotting Kaytlyn driving the Emperor. "Just keep it together for another five minutes."

Kaytlyn screeched to a stop in front of the compound, reaching over to throw the doors open. Jackie ran past and climbed into the front seat, while Riggs popped the back seat open and practical threw Akiko inside. I jumped up and over the Emperor, climbing into the opposite back seat. As I climbed in, I could feel the whole vehicle sink slightly, and I looked back to watch Riggs climb into the truck bed.

"Alright, Chica, go!" Jackie shouted, and Kaytlyn put her foot down, the large, imposing vehicle lurching forward.

Akiko, still recovering from our hasty escape method, was clawing her way into a proper sitting position. At the same time, Kaytlyn pushed our behemoth of a truck to its limits, flying down road after road. After Akiko slammed into the side of the truck because Kaytlyn clipped a smaller car on a turn, I spoke up.

"Let's get you buckled in, Akiko," I suggested. "We are at the home stretch. It would suck for you to get ejected from the car or something stupid like that."

She nodded and, with my help, got strapped in. Her movements were slightly more restricted by my suit than I intended or realized they would be, but that hardly mattered once she was securely buckled. Just after I finished clipping her in, something slammed into us from the side.

"Fuck! Tygers from your side, Jay!" Kaytlyn shouted, prompting me to look out my window.

Sure enough, a van with damage along its front bumper, probably matching damage to our side, was following along beside us. Just as I spotted it, the side door began to open. With a curse, I smashed the window and opened fire, my mag submachine gun pumping out a spray of rounds that dimpled and punched through the van, from the passenger seat all the way to the back tire, which exploded into a spray of rubber and sparks.

The Tyger vehicle swerved away from us, the driver screaming as he lost control, blood pouring from his leg as the man opening the back side door fell out of the vehicle, limp and bleeding. Before he could recover, the vehicle slammed into a line of parked cars, vanishing behind us in an instant.

"Not done yet! One from-"

The sound of Riggs' mag cannon slammed into us, echoing in my ears. Behind us, I could hear the sound of destruction, tempting to me to peek out the window. Behind us was a car with its front end crumpled, like it had struck an invisible, unmovable pole, with a fist-sized hole through the radiator.

"-behind. Never mind, nice shooting," Kaytlyn finished with a chuckle. "Keep your eyes open, we have two minutes before we are out of Tyger territory."

Three more times, we were ambushed, two of which were immediately obliterated by Riggs, while the third was taken down by Jackie, who used a short burst of accelerated speed to line up the perfect shot on the driver of an open-roofed car. The driver's head exploded, the vehicle swerved and drove right off the road, slamming into a concrete pillar that held up the road above us.

The rest of the ride was tense, but eventually, we left Night City behind, passing under the highway street lamps. Eventually, we turned off that road to the lone, two-lane asphalt strip that led to Rocky Ridge. By then, the tension had started to lessen, though it was nowhere close to disappearing. When we finally pulled into our town, all of us quickly exited the vehicle, Riggs jumping out of the back.

"Murtaugh, everything alright?" I asked, pulling off my helmet and letting out a long sigh of relief.

"All is well, sir," He responded with a salute. "All patrols have been increased, we have held back salvage trucks for the night, and all specters are charged and activated, ready to reinforce the patrols if necessary."

"Good. I'm sorry to do this, but I would feel better if you were keeping an eye on the security feeds…"

"Of course, I was simply waiting for the group to return."

"Thank you, Murtaugh. I appreciate all the hard work you've been putting in," I said, patting his shoulder.

"Happy to serve, sir," He responded with a nod. "Carlos is waiting for you in the BD Shack."

He saluted again before rushing to our temporary security building, heading inside to keep an eye out for intruders or aggressors. Meanwhile, I turned to find that Jackie was helping Akiko out of her protective armor. As she stepped out of the cloth and metal, I approached.

"Well, it seems we made it out, why don't we get you inside," I said, guiding her away towards the front entrance to the shack.

"We should keep moving," She pointed out with a frown. "The longer we stay here the more likely we are going to get caught."

"This place is much better defended than you realize," I assured her. "Just relax and let us take care of it."

She chewed her lip but nodded, letting me guide her into the shack. Carlos nearly jumped out of his seat as we entered, charging across the room to wrap his wife in a tight, spinning hug. They kissed and whispered to each other, continuously reassuring each other that they were okay, that everything was alright, and that it was finally over.

After a few minutes, when both husband and wife had calmed down, they sat down at the table, along with Jackie and Myself. Kaytlyn had happily returned to her nest, keeping her own watch over the desert around us.

"Thank you, thank you so much," Carlos said, almost gushing, the relief and happiness dripping from every word. "I, oh god, I was so scared I would never see you again."

He turned back to his wife, who was leaning against him, her arms around his, her head on his shoulder. He seemed to get lost for a moment, eventually turning back to Jackie, his eyes glowing.

"Here is the full payment, as promised," He said, his eyes glowing for a few seconds before fading. "I… I don't think I could ever really repay you, but this is the best I can do."

"I'm just glad we can help," Jackie said with a smile, patting his old friend's shoulder. "You guys going to be good?"

"Your offer to stay the night was generous, but our daughter has been with our neighbor for long enough," Carlos explained, shaking his head. "I bought a junker that should get us home, and I'll be autopiloting most of the way so we can rest."

I frowned, listening to their plan. I pulled out my radio and whispered a few orders. After that, we only had to wait a few minutes before a MRVN unit carrying a box arrived. The low-level AI put the plastic box on the table, and I began unpacking it, revealing two pistols and a machine gun to the couple, as well as a few clips of ammo. They were just a few random guns we had collected and kept, inferior in nearly every way to what I could make, but perfect for handing out.

"Take these for your trip back, so you can defend yourself," I said, Carlos nodding while Akiko expertly picked up one of the Lexington and checked its slide. "And… Let Jackie know when you've gotten home safe."

We talked a bit more, including a rather unhappy conversation about how we had descended the compound, which Akiko had momentarily forgotten after seeing her husband. I assured her it was the quickest and safest way we could get her away without having to fight through hundreds of converging Tyger Claws. She reluctantly agreed and asked us to thank Riggs and Kaytlyn for their help.

After sending Padre confirmation that the gig was closed, Akiko and Carlos quickly packed up and climbed into the beat-up car that Carlos had bought. We gave them some water and some basic food, and the couple left, bound for their own home, eager to see their daughter.

"I hope they make it," I said with a frown, watching them drive off. "The whole family."

"I do too, Choom," Jackie agreed. "I do, too."

When the car disappeared from sight, we both headed off for bed, tired from a day of work. I managed to make it all the way to my trailer, climbing into bed. For a moment, I lay there, whistling for Duke to come join me. He quickly jumped up onto the bed, laying down beside me, letting me pet his head.

Watching the married couple's reunion had been tough, reminding me of my own family, though admittedly only by approximation. I hadn't left behind a girlfriend, wife, or, thank god, any children. Still, thoughts of my old life danced in my head as I lay there, waiting for sleep to take me.

Chapter Thirty Six New

Waking up to the sound of my radio calling out to me and Duke barking loudly was not what I would call a good way to start the day. Up until that point, I had been sleeping pretty well, a combination of completing a hard day's work and the knowledge that we had helped someone in need. Of course, we had killed a lot of people to do it, so my immediate assumption, as gunfire erupted not too far away, was that the Tyger Claws had come for us.

"Jackson! Come in, Jackson!" Murtaugh's voice said, calling from my radio. "We have incoming! Sending more specters to reinforce and bring you back to the garage!"

I rolled out of bed and quickly started putting on my equipment. Luckily, with how tired I was after our rescue gig, I hadn't even bothered to go back to the garage to take off my undersuit and armor, instead just kicking in a pile by my bed. As I was pulling up my suit, I snagged the radio and shouted into it.

"I copy Murtaugh, but I have my armor and suit with me," I said into the radio. "Repeat, I am a combatant, not a VIP. Put the specters to better use!"

After that, I got dressed as quickly as I could, though it was hard considering my armor and undersuit was just tossed to the corner of my room. I cursed as the sound of running motors got closer and closer. When I was finally ready, I kicked open the door and let Duke out ahead of me, several bullets skipping off his armor plating as he ran.

"Get 'em, boy!" I shouted, watching the robot charge off to the left.

With a general location in my mind, I dived out the door, my pistol up and ready. As I moved, I looked around, first spotting a trio of specters ruined by gunfire. I kept scanning as I ran, expecting to see Tyger Claws coming to get their girl back or just to get revenge. What I saw instead were several vehicles, all nomadic versions, painted black with blood red and electric blue highlights.

"Are you fucking kidding me?" I shouted, diving into cover as one of the vehicles swung around, unleashing another barrage of bullets. "Wraiths? Now?"

I slid into cover behind a concrete barrier, bullets pinging off the thick material, bullets streaming from their vehicles, showering me in dust and shards of stone. After a few seconds, the gunfire stopped, and I could hear people moving around, quickly climbing from their cars. I peeked my head up, quickly spotting people disembarking from two cars and a truck, armed with a range of weapons. Three of them were focused on Duke, who had been chasing the vehicles as they tried to shoot me. They opened fire almost immediately, catching the attention of everyone else.

Seeing the opening, I stood, targeting the closest Wraith and opening up, quickly taking down two of them before all of their attention shifted back to me. I dropped back behind cover, only to hear someone call out about a grenade.

I peeked out around my cover just in time to see one of the Wraiths, a woman with a black metal arm, overhand a blinking, cooked grenade in my direction. I could see the slowly blinking light as it soared through the air. Before I could even think about what I could do, a blur intercepted the grenade, slapping it back toward the Wraiths before diving behind cover with me. Jackie ducked low, having a bit of a more challenging time hiding behind the concrete barrier due to his larger size.

"Thanks for the hand," I said, slapping Jackie's shoulder. "Took you long enough to wake up."

"What can I say? I'm a heavy-"

The grenade he had swatted away detonated, and a breath later, we both popped up over cover, firing as fast as we could manage, driving the remaining Wraiths near us to the ground. The only ones we didn't kill were the ones Duke took down by himself, jumping over the back end of a truck as we opened fire. His armor was dinged up, and one of his eyes was a broken mess, but he still tore the neck out of one Wraith, before tearing at another one's leg, both of them bleeding out in seconds.

"Heavy sleeper," He finished with a smirk. "You good?"

"Never better," I responded, whistling once. Duke perked his head up immediately, rushing back to my side, blood on his face. I pulled out my radio and clicked it on again.

"Murtaugh, Jackie, and I cleared a batch of Wraiths on our side. Are there any more coming in on yours?" I asked, ignoring Jackie as he double-tapped the nomad gang.

"Several Wraiths are taking cover in the northeast part of the town. They have a mounted technical and have already destroyed most of our specters," Murtaugh answered. "I have disabled the primary vehicle, but they are out of our view."

"Okay, moving forward to handle it," I said, nodding to Jackie, who was pulling grenades off of the Wraiths we killed. "Where are Kaytlyn and Riggs?"

"I'm at the BD shack, keeping the fuckers from running," Kaytlyn said with a surprising amount of vehemence. "They caught my leg, so I can't help. Riggs… Riggs carried me to cover. He is down."

I cursed, looking at Jackie, who froze. Unless Riggs got hit directly in his head by something armor-piercing and big, then it was unlikely his AI core was destroyed, meaning I could probably fix him. But Kaytlyn had no idea he was an AI, so if he shut down from damage, she must have assumed he was dead.

"Copy that, cover us as best you can, and stay safe," I responded. "Murtaugh, how many specters do we have left?"

"Eight."

"Alright, keep them up tight to protect everyone," I ordered. "We can handle these guys."

"Sir, May I suggest a distraction?" Murtaugh countered. "I can send a pair of specters out in two minutes, right down the front. It should give you a moment to work unhindered."

"Good call," I responded. "We will go on your signal."

The AI strategist confirmed my message, and Jackie handed me a pair of grenades, which I then pushed into my utility belt. Together, we immediately started pushing northeast, taking cover behind trailers, dumpsters, vending machines, and anything else along the.

"Is Riggs…"

"I don't know," I responded, shaking my head. "It depends on where and what hit him."

After that, we both went silent, focused on making sure none of the Wraiths got away with attacking us. As we moved, occasionally, the sound of gunfire echoed from in front of us, usually followed by the sound of Kaytlyn's sniper rifle immediately firing from around the BD shack area. Finally, Jackie peaked around a corner and immediately pulled back.

"Found them," He said quietly. "Three houses down this road."

"Good," I said. "We have like thirty seconds left, let's get as close as possible."

He nodded, taking the lead as we moved across the back of the trailers, now moving even slower than before. We jumped two fences, easily clearing them with our enhancements suits, getting into position with seconds to spare. Only a hundred or so feet away, I could see the trailing remains of several specters, most of them obliterated by a heavy weapon of some sort, leading back down the road and out of view behind trailers. We could also hear the Wraiths, who were all suitably panicked about being pinned down and unable to run.

Just as a few of them started talking about abandoning their cars and running on foot, I could hear specters running down the road. They were dodging and weaving, running in zig zags while firing at the exposed vehicles wildly. The first one barely lasted long enough to see the technical, which was just a truck with a stationary HMG in the back, before being obliterated. Immediately, Jackie and I rushed around the corner.

While I brought my pistol up and fired, aiming for the most dangerous person, the Wraith standing behind the HMG, Jackie blurred and sped forward, zipping to a position with a better angle. I got three shots on the technical gunner before Jackie opened up with his pistols, firing at the surprised gangers.

With a whistle, as I lined up my next target, I sent Duke out, who charged the nearest psycho at a terrifying speed. Intellectually, I knew that he was capable of moving with some impressive acceleration and quickness, but watching him tear furrows out of the asphalt as he moved was something else entirely. As I pulled the trigger, my undersuit handling the recoil as I triple-tapped another Wraith, Duke slammed into his target, knocking him off his feet.

We finished the group off quickly, the only issue rising when the last one panicked and ran, dropping his gun and slipping away between two trailers. Rather than try and chase him down, I gave Duke a whistling order, the metal canine bolting off to run him down. The eager canine robot returned not long after with blood dripping from his metal teeth.

After going around and double-tapping everyone, Jackie and I hoofed it back to the town center, both eager and scared to see the damage. As we approached, the first thing I could see were the four wraith cars on the road. One was lightly crashed into the concrete barriers of the parking lot, while the other three were parked out by the entrance.

I could also see that Kaitlyn's car was dotted with bullet impact spots, dents, and holes depending on how much armor they had run into. As we walked past that, I finally found Kaytlyn and Riggs.

The former was leaning against her car, her sniper rifle up on the hood, aimed toward the targets we had just eliminated. Her leg was wrapped and taken care of, with Frank learning over her to patch up a cut she had on her cheek. I couldn't help but notice that her eyes were red and agitated, as if she had been crying.

Laying on the ground next to her was Riggs, unmoving and deactivated. He had several massive dents and bullet holes in his torso, legs, and arms, which could really only have come from the HMG. Most worrying was the head wound, a large hole that punched through the back of his helmet and out the visor. I quickly knelt down beside my friend, doing my best to lift his body up into a position where I could more easily access his head. I peered into the hole, doing my best to see inside. There was definite damage, but I couldn't tell how bad. I cursed and grabbed my radio.

"Sam, you okay, buddy?" I messaged, immediately getting a response.

"We are okay, Jackson," He said. "Noah, myself, and all but one of the MRVNs made it to the Molly Maker room and are unharmed."

"Good, glad to hear it. Look, Riggs is down. I need you to bring my toolkit to the Shack as quickly as you can," I explained.

"I will arrive shortly."

I continued to diagnose Riggs as best I could, checking the over two dozen impact and bullet holes. My primary concern, beyond the head damage, was whether or not his power core was stable and undamaged. I had worked hard to make my power nodes as safe as possible, but Elerium was, under the wrong circumstances, a plasma bomb ready to go off at any second. I was really sure they hadn't breached the Elerium node, though, so there are no explosions yet.

About a minute later, Samwise arrived and started handing me tools, allowing me to carefully remove Riggs' outer armor parts, starting with the helmet. Once his outer layer of armor was removed, I could better see the damage.

The bullet had punched through the back of his helmet and slammed against the Alien Alloy armor plating around his central core, which was his inner "head," which looked identical to Murtaughs. It had not penetrated the interior plating, but it had created a significant dent before punching back out the visor, meaning a lot of energy had still been transferred.

The ALEO units had a lot of protection against kinetic energy transfers like that, but it could only go so far. I would need to crack open his head, remove his central core, and scan it for faults. If there weren't any, or they were minor enough, I could repair the rest of his systems and turn him back on. If too much was damaged… Riggs was already gone.

"Okay… this could be worse," I said. "If the bullet had penetrated here… it would be bad, but there is a chance that he is okay."

"What? How? The bullet punched through his head! There's not enough room in that casing to protect him from that much damage," Kaytlyn said. "I've seen that before, Jackson. That's too much trauma for the brain to handle."

"Yeah… Listen, Kaytlyn… I'm about to let you in on a big secret," I explained, using a specially design tool to unlatch a security port, which gave me access to securing screws. "Riggs is not a Borg. He is a centralized AI, designed by yours truly."

She looked at me with wide eyes, watching as I unsealed Rigg's head, revealing not a brain as she would have guessed, but the exterior processing chips. A few more seconds later, I was passed them, too, revealing Riggs' central processing core. His entire being.

"No… wait, he wasn't alive?" She asked, sounding a bit hysterical.

"Riggs is an AI," I repeated. "And judging by the internal damage… he very well still might be. Samwise, Murtaugh, please carry Riggs' frame to the garage and hook it up at the drone station."

I ordered, reaching down and carefully extracting the central core. Very carefully, I held it in my hands, standing slowly.

"An AI… Wait, does that mean Murtaugh is an AI, too?" She asked, looking at Murtaugh, who was waiting by the security building.

"He is," I responded, making my way back to the garage.

"Are all the robots AIs?" She asked as I walked away.

"The specters are not, nor are our pets," I explained. "Some of the early MRVNs are very young, slow-growing AI, while Samwise, Noah, and Frank are more advanced. As are Murtaugh and Riggs."

"How- No, wait, how is the easy part, why?" She asked, following behind me. "Do you have any idea how dangerous AIs can be? And how heavily Netwatch comes down on people who figure out how to make them?"

"The AIs I create are different," I assured her. "They are more in touch with humanity than the crazies behind Black Wall because they have physical bodies that can be destroyed. Riggs… if Riggs is okay, then he is basically as lucky as a human who took a bullet to the head. As for Netwatch, why do you think I've been keeping it a secret?"

"Did you know about this?"

I looked over my shoulder to see that Jackie had helped Kayt to her feet and was helping her follow after me. Not far behind them were Samwise and a pair of MRVNs carrying Riggs' body.

"I knew it was something like that, but I never asked," Jackie responded. "I never cared. They seemed alive enough, so I treated them like they were alive."

I quickly sat down at my workstation, carefully laying down Riggs' central core. While Jackie was helping Kaytlyn sit down, I was grabbing spare processors and other parts, quickly linking them together to run alongside Riggs's core, allowing him to function without his primary body. As Samwise got his frame hooked up to the drone bay, MRVNs were already starting to pull off parts and remove his outer layer of armor. I activated his core, slowly running a scan at first to make sure that there was nothing damaged. When the first scan came back clean, I ran it twice more, just to be safe.

"Okay, scans are coming up clean... I think he is okay," I said, everyone letting out a sigh of relief, though I could feel the conflict in Kaytlyns. "The computer has a mike and a camera, so he won't just be in a void… Just need to write a program for him to access it…"

I quickly whipped up a simple program giving Riggs's central core access to my computer, which, if I left open, would be a massive security risk, but for now, it was fine. Once everything was set, I slowly began giving his core power, waiting for it to finally initialize. It took a moment, not surprising considering the massive amount of data he was processing, but finally, the AI core locked into the program I had created, and he spoke.

"I take it I've been damaged badly?" He asked, the familiar and welcoming voice coming from my computer. "Is Kaytlyn okay?"

"I'm okay, you big… you big lug," She responded. "Are… are you going to be okay?"

"I will be fine," He assured her. "My primary core is undamaged."

"Just give us a few hours to get your parts printed out and installed, and you'll be good as new," I assure him with a smile, sniffing back my own happiness that he was okay. "In the meantime, would you prefer to stay attached to my computer so you can interact with us, or would you prefer to power down?"

"I would prefer to sleep, sir," He responded. "But first, I… want to apologize to you, Kaytlyn. I am sorry I hid what I am from you. And you as well, Jackie."

"I… don't like being lied to, even if it's just by omission," Kaytlyn said. "But I can understand why."

"Thank you."

"No, thank you for saving me, Riggs," Kaytlyn responded, sniffling and rubbing her eyes. "You put your life on the line to save me. Thank you."

"Umm, Kaytlyn, why don't you sit here and talk to him for a bit," I suggested, standing up from my stool and offering it to Kayt. "You can sleep later, Riggs, unless…"

"I would not mind talking for a while."

I nodded and helped Kaytlyn into my seat before nodding for Jackie to come with me. We stepped just outside, giving them some space.

"Samwise, I want you to focus on Riggs," I said, the AI nodding in agreement. "Before that, though, get most of the MRVNs working on gathering the destroyed specters. I want all of the easy fixes up and running ASAP. The rest they can scrap. Noah!"

Noah, who had been waiting inside the garage addition, made his way to us as we stood just outside the second garage door, under the shade of the CHOOH2 station hood.

"I want you to spin up production on defenses, getting going now, ahead of time. I want turrets ready to install the minute the concrete is stable and the armored cover ready not long after that. Then you're going to switch to specter production. Oh, and get the MRVNs to move the corpses out of town."

"Of course, Sir."

"Jackie, I want you to call Dakota Smith and explain what just happened," I said, the larger man nodding. "Ask her where the hell our warning was and if a couple of cars and some guns is enough payment to get a few guys down here to help watch over the place until we are at full strength again. Not all of the cars, though. I want a few of the better ones to work on.

"You really want people wandering around?" He asked, scratching his head.

"No, I don't, but until the hard points are finished, I'm not sure we have much of an option," I responded. "If a bunch more Wraiths decide to come and finish us off tonight, I don't know how we would handle them by ourselves. Also, tell Dakota that I have an offer she might like to hear at some point as well."

"You're going to have nomads move in, aren't you?" He asked. "It's not a bad idea, better than the gangs."

"It's a good option, but they won't be the only ones moving in," I responded, waving away his curious look. "Don't worry about it for now, I'll explain later."

The group separated after that, and I made my way to the temporary security building. I wanted to know what had happened and why we didn't get more of an advanced warning. When I stepped into the cool building, I found Murtaugh sitting at the security computer, pouring over images and sensor readings.

"Murtaugh, how are you doing?" I asked, giving him a look over.

"Sir, I am functional, but-"

"Let's start by going over what happened, Murtaugh," I said, cutting him off. "Then we can start handing out blame."

Together, we went over the attack. Apparently, the Wraith had first come from the southeast, splitting off into two groups. One group had gone around, that was the batch that Jackie, Duke, and I stamped out. The other group was much larger and had come in from the front. Murtaugh and I could only assume that they had meant to overwhelm us, but they hadn't expected Riggs to obliterate two of their vehicles before they could even get into the town.

A wave of vehicle-mounted gunfire had stunned Riggs, breaking his weapon and forcing him to take cover behind Kaytlyn's vehicle. Even with his Mag Cannon destroyed, Riggs, Kaytlyn, and the specters had managed to take down three more cars and the Wraiths within them. Unfortunately, this was when Kaytlyn was injured.

Rather than getting pinned down, the technical and a couple other vehicles drove off, most likely to come around and attack again from a better angle. In the process of pushing through, the technical got a full view of Kaytlyn. Before the mounted HMG could turn her into a paste, however, Riggs charged in and took the barrage, carrying her to better cover as the truck drove off.

Kaytlyn wasn't having that, though, and managed to disable the technical and one other car, forcing the group to stop. Murtaugh then tried to finish them off with a rush of specters, but the HMG more or less wiped them out. Then Jackie and I came along and caught them from the side, wiping them out in turn.

"I don't think this is your fault, Murtaugh," I said, shaking my head. "I think we overestimated how powerful the specter unit is, but more importantly, I think we assumed our better tech would let us come out on top no matter what we got challenged by. With defenses finishing in a few days, I will feel a lot better about it, but… well, I'm hoping to redesign the specter unit, maybe with the help of my next tech tree. Between that, the defenses, plus having a chunk of the town filled with other people, I'm hoping we can be a bit safer."

"We will have to watch the people," Murtaugh Pointed out. "The nomads might owe you, but that won't stop people from being nosey."

"I have an idea for that as well," I assured him, shaking my head. "I need some time to put it together, but with any luck, I'll have someone to watch over them."

Having gone over exactly what happened, we started talking about our options. Riggs would hopefully be back online within an hour or so, and three specters had already been repaired by mixing and matching parts from different broken ones. With some help from Dakota, I was hoping that would be enough to hold off any retaliation attacks until we could get our defensive line set up.

From what I could tell, the majority of our losses boiled down to basically fighting from a seriously disadvantageous position. The specters did not have nearly enough satisfactory cover, and what cover they did have was soon made pointless as the vehicles drove around them. Between the HMG and the other car-mounted weapons, they were torn to shreds. The only reason we managed to stage a defense at all was because of our early warning system, which had spotted the Wraith coming, allowing us to start moving ourselves in to position. Or in my case, manage to put on my undersuite and armor.

Once I left the security building, I leaned back against the door for a moment, running my hand through my hair. This had been one hell of a way to wake up, but the adrenaline and excitement were now fading completely.

This entire morning had been way too close for comfort. We had come out on top, but if Jackie and I hadn't brought our armor to our trailers, both of us would have been in a much more awkward position. Who knows what would have happened if we hadn't been able to fight off the attack coming from our side?

This was skin of our teeth territory, and it frankly scared the shit out of me. Before I could even start making my way back to the garage, Jackie flagged me down.

"Dakota is on her way," He said, walking alongside me. "Apparently, they were already mounting up."

"Lockdown the garage and the addition before they get here, get a specter at each entrance," I said, scratching the top of my head. "Wait, you mean Dakota herself is coming?"

"Yeah. She sounded intrigued by your offer of a deal," He said with a shrug. "Guess you made an impression."

True to the message, Dakota and a small crowd of her people showed up only two minutes after Jackie warned me. Her people pulled their cars and trucks around to form barriers and cover while the woman herself headed for the BD shack, where Jackie and I were waiting. Her bodyguards stayed outside, a show of respect I hadn't expected.

"How many did you lose?" She asked, sitting down at our table.

"We are down about seventy-five percent of our defenses," I explained. "But that should be back up to fifty within the next hour. Thankfully, that was all drones. We did come within an inch or two of losing Riggs, though."

"Not bad, considering," she said, shaking her head. "You got the short end of the stick here, Jackson. Bad luck, to the core."

"What happened?"

"A shift in leadership," She explained, shaking her head. "Last night, the previous leader of the local raffen shivs, the Wraiths, got into a fight with one of their lieutenants. I don't know much of the details, but the leader got flatlined, and the lieutenant took over. To… 'celebrate,' they decided to go on a raid. It was between you and the Aldecados camping to the East, and they bet on you being an easier target. Considering I spotted the lieutenant getting dragged around by one of your worker bots, you know how well that bet went for him."

"And you didn't see this coming?"

"How come we didn't see a random lieutenant getting lucky and somehow zeroing his boss coming?" She asked, looking at me with a raised eyebrow. "Or how come we didn't see that lieutenant being a fucking nutcase and immediately going on a raid? We keep an eye on them as best we can, but we can't read the future."

She didn't sound angry about my question, as I could imagine she understood my frustration.

"I'm loaning you some muscle," She said. "No cost. How long do you need them for?"

"Two, maybe three days," I responded. "We are literally in the middle of upgrading our defenses, with hardpoints and turrets getting set up here. What's going to happen with the rest of the Wraiths?"

"We don't know," She responded, shaking her head. "It'll take a few days and a few busted heads, but someone is going to take control again. How they react to you taking so many of them out is a lot less predictable."

"Great, uncertainty. Just what I wanted," I said, rubbing my face. "Well, I do have an idea, something that should help keep nomads and us safe."

"...I'm listening."

Back