The Best Kings Wear Skirts

Can I just say you two are absolutely adorable? <3
Okay, that out of the way, I do really like the direction this is going, it's cute and makes sense and the characters are fun!
Though I guess this fem-Harry is only into guys? Or so it appears so far, though Fay is crushing hard still.

To be honest, I'm hoping to see Fay as the one that Harry is ultimately paired up with. Just something about her character makes me root for her. Though with her name being Fay, it has me wondering two completely different things simultaneously. The first is if she's related to Morgan la Fay of King Arthur legends. The second is if she's going to end up becoming Harry's version of Morgan la Fay in the story of his rise to Kingship; which then has me further wondering which version of Morgan la Fay if so as I thought I heard that some of the legends actually has her as something of an ally to Arthur rather than his ultimate enemy.

Next Chapter...
Harry freak out, and punches Sirius on the nose. Making Sirius believe he's traveled back in time cause this has to be the real Lily. He starts begging for forgiveness and telling "Lily" warnings from the future and to not trust Peter. Harry, very confused and conflicted, stuns Black and stuffs him in her recently arrived apartment trunk. Maybe a draught of the living-death to put him in a stasis lock followed by tossing her old clothes on top of him and going back to bed, convinced it was a dream. Next morning, wakes up totally forgetting what happened the night before, and who's now at the bottom of her trunk until the end of the year.

Time flies and the winter months seem to fly by, soon it's Spring going into late May. Harry and the girls are going through her apartment trunk to put together an outfit for a Ministry dinner that Harry has to attend as a special guest of Dumbledore...
Fay: Harry...?
Harry: Yes Fay?
Fay: Why is there an unconscious mass murderer sleeping under all your old clothes?
Girls: What!
Harry looks confused for a moment than in surprise, sheepishly scratches the back of her head.
Harry: Um, would you believe I totally forgot all about him being there?
Hermione: Since when?!
Harry chuckles nervously, : Since the end of October...?
Fay: You mean to say that you caught Sirius Black months ago, and forgot to turn him in. Leaving the rest of us stepping on egg shells for months waiting for him to attack us in the hallways!
Harry: Um.... yyeesss?
Girls: - - - - You are such a boy!

Last edited:
*amused kitsune*

alas, the 'apartment' trunk won't be available until like january. It really isn't much of an apartment either, unless you like capsules. They're basically just the equivalent of walk-in closets. Just big enough to climb down into and sort say potions ingredients comfortably. Or clothes.

Admittedly the actual closet room is larger than the rest, by several times.

Also is anyone else having the spaces between paragraphs disappear occasionally when they hit backspace?

From the amount of blushing around Fay, and Fay's comment about the cutest boy being a girl now, methinks Harry may be a bit bi, with some reciprocations from Fay here. Possibly demisexual(attraction influenced heavily by emotional attachments). The existence of an OC in the form of Fay suggests planned hijinks of some sort, but then canon Gryffindor didn't really have a girl in Harry's year who could fill the role Fay is filling.

I like that a major point of a girl's development, her first period, comes up but isn't harped on. It's a hard balance to hit, because anybody who'd only been a girl a couple of months is going to have some difficulty here, but it often gets focused on more than is entirely appropriate, given the age of the characters in question.

One HP fic had Hermione researching how to turn Harry back into a boy and how to keep Ron as a girl(changed by totally separate causes, with Ron knowing that she would be a he again in a year, but had found she enjoyed being female). That kind of mess is why I don't blame the author that it never came up at all(at least, it had not since the last updated chapter).

"Harry, you didn't have anything to do with Malfoy's trip to the hospital wing, did you, Harry?

Two "Harry"s in this sentence. Shift the punctuation a bit, and it could work as, "Really? Harry?"

Gekkou_Yoko: Fibber Fibber! You can't sing! Chu can barely limerick!

Hey, they didn't say it was good singing.

Last edited:
So… had a random thought, Is the glowing hair a sign she's going to slowly turn into more and more of a Fae every time she's damaged and healed again? I mean she did get healed by a combination of soul magic and her adopted fae lady mother's power, which I think is still hooked into her defenses until she's 18 if I remember from the first chapter, or am I reading too much into this?
Personally I think that could be a very cool angle to explore, few people do fae very well at all but @Grounders10 is really good at the whole not quite human thing so I'd be down for it<3

Edit: so I went back and looked to check, and his protections are, in fact, now being powered by Nimue's magic instead of the love they were supposed to be powered by and weren't getting, and there were a couple of lines maybe about Nimue's hair glowing in the dark forest so… perhaps?

Last edited:
Also is anyone else having the spaces between paragraphs disappear occasionally when they hit backspace?
It's a known xenforo bug, should be a note somewhere in the tech log...
As far as I know it is supposed to be unwanted behaviour with shift enter that happens for some reason since an update last year...

Also, capsules can be cozy! Add enough blankets and it's like camping, only dryer, in a pinch. Well, mostly because that would make it extra comfy.

But considering they have ridiculously good magical tents, this would seem like a redundant thing. Question then if one can stuff a magical tent into the largest compartment without the whole thing spontaneously collapsing into a tear in space time before evaporating entirely.

Which going by McGonnagal's explanation of the time turners isn't going to be an issue in this setting. Matches how wizards in general seem to have surprisingly safe conditions in spite of what at first glance appears ludicrous.

Just don't pull the ripcord while it's still in the suitcase, that would be a pain to sort out after.

either each capsule is actually a large apartment or each one contains a bunch of capsules.
I would have said the former, but considering things like the knight's bus I feel somewhat confident to say both probably exist somewhere. Seems reasonable between aforementioned sleeper car and for example the dorms in this story that do twist space around in multiple, notable instances.

Going for capsules would be oddly utilitarian for wizards though? Would need to throw in something a little more charming to make it fit into the setting, perhaps an outside view for each. Silencing and so on certainly would make it easier to use.

It spits out all of the contents in most settings, which may or may not be dangerous depending on volume and weight. Luckily for our anime protagonist, you can't really turn a trunk inside out (though I suppose you could for a wizard tent).
First, I was thinking of a (flexible) bag of holding, rather than a (wooden?) trunk.

Second, I was thinking about what happens afterward.

If a bag of holding has been turned inside out, what does it's former inner surface look like, as it's new outer surface?

Does the "magic of holding" migrate to the new inside?
Does the "magic of holding" remain glued to the old inside?

Suppose the "bag" started as a flat circle of cloth or leather, and had a drawstring sewn into the edge (e.g. google drawstring playmat). Does it stop being a magical bag of holding when the drawstring is loosened?

It becomes smaller on the inside, so kinda like the pockets on girl pants, it's there, it's just too small to actually use for anything

I wonder if Harry has run into the problem with girl pockets yet, or whether it exists in the WW

It becomes smaller on the inside, so kinda like the pockets on girl pants, it's there, it's just too small to actually use for anything

I wonder if Harry has run into the problem with girl pockets yet, or whether it exists in the WW

Harry's clothing was all custom tailored for her, so whether there are pockets comes down to what Harry would insist on and what the wizard fashions are. Not that long ago, clothes didn't have pockets at all*, and removing/shrinking pockets on women's clothing was a deliberate, coordinated move to sell more purses, just as companies agreed to create the boy/girl toy narratives so they could focus their ads better for more bang for their buck.

*There's a reason we have the term "cutpurse". Everybody carried one or more small bags(purses) because pockets were only really present in work clothes(such as a construction worker's toolbelt).

Last edited:
You would think that a school of magic as prestigious as Hogwarts would know how to heat a room, especially as they were in Scotland, but no of course not.
According to my own headcanon, Hogwarts is cold and draft is because it was originally coated with the same type of plaster as every other castle at that time period was coated with.

The plaster kept out drafts, protected the stone and mortar from the weather, hid imperfections (weaknesses) from enemies, and made the castles look nicer.

However, the plaster wasn't 100% waterproof, and needed to be regularly re-applied.

The lack of re-plastering is why abandoned muggle castles appear to be made of stone.

When the Statute of Secrecy was signed, Hogwart's plaster was removed, and muggle-repelling charms attached to the bare stone walls, magically amplifying the appearance of the bare stone, preventing any muggle from noticing anything other than the castle's stony-ness.

Why the inside doesn't have insulating / draft-blocking plaster... I'm not sure. Over-enthusiastic cleaning charms?

Back