I'm not sure that 20 minutes would have been enough to be honest ! Or he would maybe have arrived at an even worse moment !
There is that! On the other hand, that would possibly have let them pass the emotional point of no return, and kept Asuka from having to work up the courage to say it out loud again.
Anyway, thank you very much for being interested in my humble story ! It means a lot !
Oh! Something I meant to say last time: For someone who says they are typing in a second language, this is very good. I've seen fics by supposed native speaker that had far more errors and typos!

I started learning English when I was something like 6, but I'm sure I still make silly mistakes to a native English speaker ! I try to reformulate when I'm not sure of myself, but mistakes are boudn to happen ! You should see my notes, it's a mess ! Some are written in French, some in English, some in both !

Chapter 9 : Sins of my father
I delayed this chapter long enough ! It's been a few days since I finished it, modifying something now and then but I have to post it ! If I did something completely wrong, please tell me !

The setting sun was bathing everything in an orange hue. Eva Unit 01 was slouched next to a small mountain in order to preserve its power. Having deployed the Evas this far of Tokyo-3 meant that the city would most likely be safe, but it caused logistics problems when it came to powering the humanoid weapons. Numerous rows of huge generators were installed next to power lines to provide the necessary electricity. Unit 01 was facing west, giving Shinji a beautiful view of the sunset over the mountain range. However, he wasn't interested in sightseeing at the moment.

"An accident in Matsushiro ?! No way ! What happened to Misato and Toji ?" He exclaimed with worry.

"Contact hasn't been restored yet." Rei replied only through her radio, which puzzled Shinji a little.

"But then, what will we do ?" He was clearly scared. Every time he went to battle, Misato had always been there to guide him. Even if he had disobeyed her orders at times, he always trusted her to have his best interest in mind during those encounters. The only exception was against the ninth Angel, Matarael, but even then, Asuka had told him what to do. She was too far away from him today to be able to come up with a plan that would help them defeat this new Angel.

"Stop whining !" Asuka scolded him as she opened a direct video channel between them both. "There's nothing else we can do now !"

"But how can we fight Angels by ourselves ?" She shot him a look of a mix between disbelief and annoyance. There were three of them against only one, and among them was a trained soldier, a genius who had learned about combat strategies. She discussed with herself whether she should answer or just ignore him when Rei took the decision for her.

"Commander Ikari will take command now." Rei's face appeared next to Asuka's, in her own video feed. Had he thought about it, he would have found it strange that the camera from Unit 00 would be behind the pilot, but what he just learned was far more important.

"My father will..." He trailed off, on the one hand reassured to have someone in command of this operation, and on the other, upset that this someone happened to be his father.

Shinji had waited for what seemed like hours for something to happen, but the reality was that it was closer to only one if the position of the sun was to be any indication. His introspection and moping were interrupted when Shigeru spoke. "Target is approaching."

"All units prepare for ground combat." Makoto chimed in through the pilots' radios as well.

Shinji raised his head and squinted his eyes in a vain attempt to shield them from the light of the setting sun. A black silhouette was approaching slowly just between Unit 01 and the sun. Activating his Eva's built in zoom, he managed to identify the black shape better. "No way ! An Angel ? Is this an Angel ?" He asked.

"Is this my birthday ?" Asuka exclaimed ecstatically, unaware that she had just interrupted NERV's Supreme Commander. "I get to beat up Jock Stooge today ?"

"Correct, this is the target." replied said Supreme Commander.

"But this is an Eva ! Toji's piloting it !"

"That's all the more reason !" Asuka said as she willed her Eva to stand. "Unit 02, engaging !"

"Asuka ! You can't !"

"Watch me !" She answered cheerily, raising her rocket launcher. "Fire !" A gigantic rocket shot out of her weapon, then another, and another. They flew rapidly towards their target before exploding against the familiar octagonal orange shield. "It's an Eva, idiot ! And an Angel ! It has an AT-field, don't worry about him !" She kept on firing her rocket launcher with a smile on her face. It quickly vanished however when her target jumped at an impossible height. Her combat training allowed her not to be too disoriented when the targeting system of her Eva made it move on its own accord, following the enemy while still shooting rockets until the magazine was empty. She had raised her AT-field as she had kept unloading her weapon at Unit 03. It didn't help, however, when the black behemoth pierced through the smoke, and her AT-field, and landed directly on her with an ear-piercing noise which Shinji heard through the comm window before it turned to static. He still heard Asuka scream from the top of her lungs over the sound of metal crashing against metal, of what sounded like giant fists bludgeoning something metallic before the communication became completely silent.

He had watched the scene from afar, he mainly saw explosions moving very slowly towards him, then in the air, like inverted fireworks. Black explosions which stood out against the red sun. He could see Unit 03 fall from the sky and saw that the last shots managed to make it deviate slightly from its trajectory.

"Asuka !" Shinji shouted at the comm window, but he received no answer. "Unit 01, moving to engage !" He shouted with determination and urgency.

"No." This lone word was enough to freeze his blood in his veins and his Eva at the same time. "You shall remain at your current location. You are the last line of defense in case Rei fails."

Shinji wanted to disagree. Every muscle in his body screamed for him to run and go help Asuka. His father's voice carried far too much authority over him. He reluctantly went back to his initial position. 'What are you doing ?' He asked his father in his mind only. Now was not the time for a father and son discussion. He heard one of the techs saying that Asuka was alive in her entry-plug. It would have to be enough for the time being.

A little further away, Rei was waiting behind a mountain which provided her cover and concealment from the Angel. She could hear its steps as it came closer.

"Rei, avoid close range combat and stop the target. I'm sending Unit 01 in now." Commander Ikari said. It was a lie of course, but it wasn't important. Rei wouldn't doubt his words, she would do what she was meant to do. What she was born for.

"Roger." Rei simply answered, trying to focus on the battle. She was struggling, however. One of her fellow pilot was down. A second was imprisoned inside an Angel, maybe he was conscious. Forced to watch as his Eva was attacking the people he knew. The third pilot was upset because of what was happening. It was the main reason why she couldn't fully concentrate on the task at hand. She knew that Shinji was attached to the other two pilots, and that them being hurt was hurting him as well. She also knew that he wouldn't be able to destroy this Angel if it meant injuring his friend in the process. Or worse. She had to do something. She had to help him. She had to be the one to destroy this Angel so that Shinji wouldn't have to. Maybe he would hate her for that, but it was according to her the best alternative.

The Eva walked on her left side, a few dozen meters away, seemingly unaware of her presence and continued on its way. It looked like an animal. It walked without coordination. Its arms hanging on its sides, not moving with the steps it took. Its mouth was opened and shown red teeth. Its eyes looked like Unit 01's, the same menacing shape and white light. It took a few more steps before abruptly stopping and convulsing on its legs as if the pilot was fighting inside to regain control over it. It hunched forward before jumping again and landing on Unit 00, pinning it face first to the ground, its right arm squeezing its neck.

The impact made Rei dizzy for a second before the pain in her cheek made her come to her sense. The first thing she realized was that she couldn't move. The whole weight of Unit 03 was enough to prevent her Eva from any useful movement. 'I can't let him face this by himself.' Rei thought as she started wriggling under her enemy. Her Eva's right arm tried to grab onto something to help her pry herself free. The Angel let go of Unit 00's neck, only to punch the back of its head with uncanny violence in order to keep its enemy in place. Rei didn't feel the impacts as much as if she had received them directly, but it had been enough to make her head spin. Her fading consciousness made each blow a little bit less painful than the one preceding it. Her vision was getting darker and darker, the pain was becoming fainter and fainter. When the black Eva was satisfied with Unit 00's lack of movement, it released a pinkish ooze from its left arm, which poured in heavy drops on Unit 00's arm. Rei barely registered the pain in her numbness and didn't try to fight back. She could only faintly ear what sounded like the Commander's voice giving an order through her ringing ears before she jumped and screamed when an exploding pain ran through her left arm before her Eva was remotely deactivated. She grabbed her left shoulder with her right hand and reluctantly turned her head with greeted teeth, expecting to see her arm severed from her body as it had been the case for her Eva.

The Angel was now back up, looking down on its fallen prey for a few seconds before resuming its journey towards its mission.

Shinji heard everything through the comm system in awe, refusing to believe what was happening.

"Unit 00 is severely damaged. The pilot is wounded." Maya had just said.

"No way..."

"The target is approaching you. It will contact you in T-minus 20. You must destroy it." His father said as stoically as always.

"But this target is... Toji's in there, isn't he ?" Shinji stated coolly. "Another friend of mine." He had his pallet rifle raised and pointing at the rogue Eva, but the conflict in his mind at the moment stopped him from pulling the trigger. Unit 03 roared devilishly before jumping at Unit 01 feet first, shattering the latter's weapon in the process. Unit 01 landed on its back as the 13th Angel landed on all fours, which made it possible for Shinji to see the Entry-plug protruding from the former Eva's back. "An Entry-plug. Toji's in there, just as I thought." He said as he made his Eva stand up. Unit 03 launched its right arm which extended impossibly until it took a hold of Unit 01's neck, then the left arm, strangling Shinji in the process. It pinned down its enemy against a hill, its hands firmly grasping the other's neck and squeezing. Shinji was struggling to get air into his lungs, refusing to pass out, yet not doing anything to remove the appendages obstructing his throat.

"Shinji, why don't you fight ?" His father's brought him back to reality and helped him focus on something else than his current lack of oxygen.

"Toji's in there, Father !" he answered with ragged breath.

"Irrelevant ! It is an Angel ! Our enemy !" Gendo growled, losing his calm against his disobedient son.

"But... But I can't !" He was getting desperate, facing this Cornelian choice. "I must help him ! I can't kill !"

"If you don't, you will die."

"I'd rather die !" He said, his choice made. "Two of my friends have already been hurt. I won't be responsible for another one !"

"Cut all synchronization between the pilot and Unit 01. Do it now." Was the only answer his father gave.

"Cut it ?" Maya interjected disbelievingly.

"Correct. Switch the control circuit to the dummy plug."

"But the dummy plug still isn't functioning properly." Maya tried, and failed, to reason. "Without Dr Akagi's approval..."

"It's still better than the pilot. Do It !"

"Yes, Sir." Maya caved in.

Shinji had heard all of the exchange through the comm link, but couldn't pay it very much attention. He was trying his best to keep breathing until the inside of his entry-plug turned black and he finally was able to breathe unhindered. The view from the outside world came back quickly though, with a red hue when the dummy system activated. "What is it ?.. What in the hell are you doing, Father ?!" He shouted, not wanting to believe what he was imagining. The only answer he got was his Eva's hands moving on their own, getting higher and higher until finally they reached Unit 03's neck and tightened. Unit 01 barely struggled before overpowering its foe, gaining the upper ground and applying more and more force on its hold until finally, the Angel's neck gave in and broke under the pressure, its limbs going limp while it let out a final growl of agony.

The purple Eva wasn't finished however. It threw its now silent enemy on the ground and punched its head with such incredible strength that it exploded in a fountain of blood and bones, splattering everything around it. It then grabbed onto its breastplate and tore it, throwing it away before keeping its assault.

"Stop this !" Shinji screamed over the comm as its Eva was keeping on pummeling the lifeless Eva Unit 03. "Father, no ! Stop doing this now !" He was shaking the butterfly handles frantically in a vain hope to regain control of his behemoth.

He watched powerlessly as his friend was getting destroyed with his own hands until something hit his Eva from the side and sent it crashing several meters away from the bloodbath. When he regained enough of his senses, he saw through the cockpit the silhouette of Unit 02 standing before it "What are you doing idiot ? It's dead !"

Asuka was indeed alive. She had been knocked out by Unit 03 but came to with the noises of destruction made by Unit 01. Her Eva was standing victoriously before it as it struggled to stand up. "Asuka ! Go away ! I'm not controlling anything !" Shinji just had time to say before his Eva threw a vicious punch in Unit 02's midsection. It was enough to make the red Eva flinch, but it didn't go down. On the contrary, it used its new position to lunge at Unit 01 head first, tackling it to the ground. Asuka didn't stop there. She stood back up and tried to reach the umbilical cable. She managed to grab it, but Unit 01 used Asuka's lack of focus to its advantage, elbowing Unit 02 on the back of the head then punching it violently in the ribs several times. Asuka shouted in pain at each blow while Shinji was still maniacally shaking the butterfly handles. It then seized it by the torso before lifting it face down, then threw it with inhuman strength as far as it could. Asuka cursed in German before crashing against the mountainside. She had always hated falling in her Eva, not only because falling is seldom an enjoyable experience, but also because her inner ear and brain never managed to understand what was happening. She always felt dizzy and a little sick when it happened. As if it weren't already enough, her spine felt like it broke at the impact. Seeing Unit 02 not standing back up, Unit 01 returned to its original target.

It turned it over and grabbed the Entry-plug with its right hand and started squeezing it. The massive purple hand was shaking with the effort. "Damn ! Stop ! Stop it ! Stop it ! Stop it ! Stop it ! Stop it !" Shinji begged as the metal of the Entry-plug was starting to bend under the pressure.

"Arschloch !" Asuka shouted as Unit 02 stabbed Shinji's Eva's forearm with its Progressive Knife and twisted the vibrating blade inside the wound, making it release the cylinder which fell on the ground in a loud ringing noise. "This stupid autopilot should make sure its target is really done before turning its back on it ! By the way, idiot, when I'll tell this story, I'll make sure to tell your friends that you were going to kill Jock Stooge ! They'll ditch your ass and I'll be the hero !" Asuka badmouthed him in order to give her courage, and also because she wanted revenge for Unit 01's last move ! She knew he wasn't responsible for what was happening and she also understood rather quickly what the dummy plug was capable of. She had to stay focused and not expose any weaknesses if she was to win this fight. She pulled out her knife from Unit 01's arm and took a defensive stance a few steps away, making the knife pivot in her Eva's hand so that the blade was facing downward and putting her left hand opened in front of her, ready for a counterattack. Which never came. The purple giant stood still, as if paralyzed. Shinji was back in the darkness, the dummy plug had been deactivated.

Two days later, Shinji woke up in a hospital bed. His injuries were not really serious, even if a case could have been made for his larynx. The doctors had decided to keep him sedated for some time in order to help his recovery. The first thing he noticed was as a consequence a familiar ceiling which he had learned to hate. He then noticed someone on the bed next to his. "Toji ?.." He silently stood up and left the room, not daring to look, out of shame and self-loathing, at his friend who was lying in this hospital bed because of him. He couldn't bare the idea of having hurt him. He thus went to the reception desk. "Uhm... Sorry... Could you please tell me in which room Asuka Langley Soryu is ?" He asked hesitantly, almost too scared to go and see for himself what he had done to her as well. What gave him the courage to ask was what he had told her that night. That he would always be there for her.

The nurse, a woman in her mid forties with black hair tied in a bun raised her gaze from her computer screen and studied him for a few seconds before answering. "Oh, mister Ikari. I'm afraid she hasn't been checked in the hospital after the fight." She looked at her watch. "She must be home then !" She said with a smile, then added awkwardly after a pause. "I've always wanted to say thank you... You know, for saving us all, battle after battle..."

She was still talking but Shinji couldn't pay attention to her. He knew he wanted to see Asuka, but that was it. He was still hazy after waking up from what must have been anesthetics induced slumber. He just nodded when he didn't hear the nurse's voice anymore.

"Can I help you with something else ?" She added warmly when she saw him still standing there.

He shook his head to clear his mind. "Are my clothes here ?"

"I'm really sorry. But we can have them brought from your locker. We have received orders from Major Katsuragi, you can leave as soon as they arrive."

"Can I use your phone then ?" Clearly he didn't care about leaving the hospital.

Realizing her mistake, she replied too enthusiastically. "Oh ! Sure ! Anything for you, mister Ikari !" She handed him the wireless phone. He walked a few feet away towards the exit before dialing the number of the apartment. He waited until he heard the beginning of the recorded message of the answering machine. He hung the phone up and gave it back to the nurse. "Is Rei Ayanami here ?"

"Disobeying orders, personal occupation of an Eva, attack on one of your fellow Pilots, partial destruction of an Eva... These are all criminal offenses. Do you have anything to say ?"

Asuka had spent the last two days in a cell in the depths of NERV. They at least had the decency to bring her fresh clothes. So she was there, in the Commander's gigantic office, clad in her school uniform and her wrists restrained with triple cuffs. Her hair was a mess, she had not been allowed to take a shower so they were sticky because of the dried LCL. She had taken down her hair clips and rearranged it in a ponytail to make it look at least presentable enough. Her lower ribcage was bandaged under her uniform. It was uncomfortable for her to breathe, and the lingering pain didn't help either. She was frowning, and was probably just about to explode. "My actions were necessary. I saved a Pilot and his Eva. I don't think Pilot Ikari has been injured because of what I did." She hadn't heard him scream when she stabbed his Eva. "I think this small cut is not important compared to having another Unit at our disposal."

"Not important ?" Gendo was really displeased upon hearing that the Second Child's lack of regret. Of course, she could not know that she had injured his precious Yui, but he couldn't accept that. "Effective immediately, you are relieved of duty. You are not the Second Child anymore." He didn't raise his voice nor show any emotion, but he wanted to make her suffer as much as possible for what she had done. So he took his time explaining his decision. "We will arrange for you to be sent back to Germany."

"You can't do that ! I am the Second Child ! I'm Asuka Langley Soryu ! Designated Pilot of Eva Unit 02 ! You need me !" She screamed in rage and denial.

"As you said, Miss Soryu. You have saved an Eva and its Pilot. And since we have only needed three Evangelions to repel the Angels so far, your service will no longer be needed." He said, a slight smirk on his lips, hidden behind his hands. "Dismissed."

'They don't need me.' She was stunned, the impact of what had just happened too much for her. She had lost everything. She had been training her whole life for this single purpose and now it was taken from her. What was she to do now ? She did not even react when two Section 2 agents grabbed her by the arms and dragged her out of the office.

"Are you really sure this was what had to be done ?" Fuyutsuki asked once they were alone.

"Positive. She attacked Yui intentionally."

"According to the Dead Sea Scrolls, the next Angel will be the most powerful."

"That's irrelevant. You know how violent and dangerous the Third Child can be given the circumstances. I just gave him those circumstances. Of course the Second could have been kept as decoy, or cannon fodder, yet it will not be necessary. She still could have been useful to us, however now we can replace her with the Fourth in the Scenario." Gendo stated.

"He might not be as easily manipulated."

"He is more stable than the Second." He paused for a second. "I should have known that Dr Soryu would be a mistake. It is good to finally be rid of its consequences. I wasn't expecting her to be able to save both Unit 03 and its Pilot, maybe I should have thanked her for giving us the possibility to get rid of her."

"Your son will probably hate you for this. Even more so if there was indeed something between them." Fuyutsuki said, maybe to give him a chance to change his mind.

"It does not matter as long as he carries out with our plan. Furthermore, the more isolated he is, the less he will have to distract him from this mission." Gendo answered coldly. Fuyutsuki winced behind his interlocutor's back but said nothing. However, it didn't mean that he agreed with his superior.

Shinji shyly entered the room where Rei was according to the nurse, slightly opening the door at first and whispering "Ayanami, I'm coming in." The room she was in was smaller than the one he used to occupy, it was only big enough for one bed. "Hi, Ayanami." he said just as shyly.

"Hello, Pilot Ikari." She was half sitting, half lying on her bed in her hospital gown. The pillows had been rearranged to allow her to have something to rest her back on. Her head was bandaged, not unlike the first time he had met her all those months ago. However, none of her eyes were covered this time. She also had her left arm in a sling. "What can I do for you ?"

"How are you ?"

"I am well, thank you. I have just been kept here under observation. I went to see you yesterday. You were still unconscious."

"I'm glad you're okay, Ayanami." At least one of his friends was alright. "Do you know where Asuka is ? She's not at the hospital."

"I was unconscious when I have been extracted from my entry-plug. I am not aware of her whereabouts as a consequence." Rei simply stated. It wasn't much, but Shinji was still surprised to hear that many words coming from her.

"I'm scared about her. I saw everything that happened during the fight. I'm afraid I might have hurt her." As much as Shinji was interested in Rei's condition, he was more interested in Asuka's. "She isn't home, and she isn't in the hospital. It's too late for her to still be in school. I'm really worried."

"I cannot help you." was Rei's only answer.

"Sorry." He said automatically, his mind still focused on Asuka. "Bye." he said as he left the room, not even waiting for an answer.

He didn't feel like going home. He wanted to go and look for Asuka, but he didn't know where to start, so he decided it would be better to wait for her there. When he entered the apartment, he heard steps coming towards him and saw her rushing in the entryway. She tackled him in a desperate hug. "Where were you ?" She mumbled in his neck as she squeezed him tighter. She had fought against it as much as she could have, but in the end, she had to admit that she needed Shinji after what happened to her. So the time she had waited for him felt like torturous hours. She was a nervous wreck, her eyes were burning, she didn't care anymore about the pain in her chest or the fact that she was still coated in dried LCL.

"I was at the hospital. I wanted to go and see you but you weren't there so I went to see Ayanami bef..."

"Are you kidding me ?!" This was the last straw for her. Having him go see Rei reminded her too much of what her father had done all those years ago. When he had left her mother when she lost her mind, when she became useless. "I have spent the last two days in a goddamn cell ! That's where I was ! For saving your stupid friend's ass ! And when I was locked up you jumped at the opportunity and went to see Wondergirl ?!" She shouted as she pushed him away, allowing him to see her blood injected eyes.

"I hoped she knew where you were !" Shinji tried to plea.

"I can't believe it ! When I arrived here, I expected to be able to talk to my boyfriend !" Neither she nor Shinji realized which word she had just used. "I was naively thinking that you'd be there for me, as you promised me ! But you were too busy trying to have your way with that freaking doll !" She had tears in her eyes and her fists were clenched. Her whole body was tense.

"You don't understand !" he tried to interject.

"Don't worry, I won't stand in your way for too much longer ! Just... Leave me alone." She said in a tone Shinji had never heard coming from her before. As if she had just given up. She then turned around and started walking towards her room.

He didn't understand what she had meant by that but he wasn't about to abandon her nor run away. He thus quickly caught up to her and grabbed her hand. "Asuka, please..." He couldn't finish his sentence as Asuka's other hand connected with his face in a slap which felt more like a punch.

"I hate you !" She screamed, her voice cracking and tears threatening to fall from her eyes. She stormed out of the apartment leaving a shocked Third Child behind her.

She ran as fast as she could in her injured state until her chest was too painful for her to continue. She had quickly realized what had just happened. She had lost patience yet again. And yet again Shinji had been her victim. And this time she didn't hold back. She wanted to convince herself that it didn't matter since she was being sent back to Germany. But it proved too hard for her. She had thrown away one of the too few good things in her life because of her temper. She wanted to collapse and disappear, but the remnants of her pride made her keep going until she reached her destination.

Hikari opened the front door and was horrified when she saw her friend's sorry state. She invited her in and took care of her as much as she could. However, Asuka never talked about the things that were obviously upsetting her. As a matter of fact, she didn't talk much at all during her stay. Hikari wanted to help, to alleviate her burden but couldn't find any way to do so. It was especially painful when she could hear her friend cry when she thought no one could. She wanted to reach out to her, but she had no idea what to say. She knew that with Asuka, one wrong step would only make things worse. So she decided to be there. To be present for her at any time. When Asuka woke up because she was having a nightmare, Hikari stayed awake with her in silence, hoping that it would be, if not enough, at least helpful.

One day, when Hikari came home from school, she found out that Asuka wasn't there anymore. She left without saying goodbye, it was better that way. She was now waiting for the train which would bring her to the airport, which would in turn bring her back to Germany. At the same time to a former life and to a completely new and unknown one.

She had been waiting there for hours, having left early to be sure not to stumble upon Hikari or anyone else, sitting uncomfortably on the floor, cursing Japan for its lack of benches in train stations. Misato came to talk to her. It felt nice, even if she would rather have had Kaji come bid her farewell. It lifted her spirits a little, until Misato spoke about Shinji. Just hearing his name brought memories and feelings that she didn't want to have, so she shouted for Misato to shut up and leave her alone. It was harsh, and she regretted it too, but she just couldn't have this discussion.

She was wondering what she would do in Germany. What she could do now that she was a nobody, and that nobody cared about her anymore. Not Kaji, who didn't come see her one last time. Did he even know ? Did he even care ? Not Hikari, who didn't even try to talk to her. Not Misato, who didn't pull any strings to have her reinstated. Not Shinji... Especially not Shinji. She probably would have just shouted at him again just to hate herself even more afterwards.

And it was the same in Germany. None of her guardians had liked her back then. Her father didn't care. She was alone. Desperately, crushingly alone. She had always prided herself on living for herself, on not needing anyone. But now, knowing what it felt like to have someone she could count on, she felt she couldn't live like she used to anymore, yet she would never be so dumb as to allow someone close to her ever again. Because she knew that she would eventually mess everything up, just like she did with Shinji. She wanted to cry, again, on the dirty floor of this empty train station, but managed to swallow back the tears and the lump in her throat after clenching her eyes shut and taking a few deep breaths.

"I can't blame him from running away. I know I would have." She said to the emptiness around her. "Who would want to be with someone as worthless as me ?" She chuckled humorlessly. "I didn't even have to tell him I got fired for him to figure out he would be much better without me... I lost everything. And it's all my fault." A single tear that she couldn't hold back escaped her left eye.

A special state of emergency is declared for the Tokai region. All citizens must evacuate to their designated shelters immediately. Repeating...

A/N : This chapter was really interesting to write. My first real battle ! I hope I did a good job ! On that note, I've always felt like this battle was kinda lazy in canon. Asuka gets punched once or twice and ejects. I understand that the scenario needed Shinji to be alone but hey ! It's Asuka we're talking about. She dived into a volcano to prove everyone that she was the best (among other reasons) and she charged an Angel head first after both her arms had been severed. She doesn't run away from a fight !

I would have loved to add some more German here and there, but I don't speak German at all and I didn't want to make any mistakes.

As always, if you have anything to say, advice or anything, don't hesitate ! And most importantly, thanks for reading !

She pulled out her knife from Unit 01's arm and took a defensive stance a few steps away, making the knife pivot in her Eva's hand so that the blade was facing downward and putting her left hand opened in front of her, ready for a counterattack. Which never came. The purple giant stood still, as if paralyzed. Shinji was back in the darkness, the dummy plug had been deactivated.
Wait... didn't she lose an arm? And boy, great reaction time on deactivating the Dummy Plug, Maya. You couldn't have turned it off before it started tossing Unit-02 around the landscape?
"Are you really sure this was what had to be done ?" Fuyutsuki asked once they were alone.

"Positive. She attacked Yui intentionally."

"According to the Dead Sea Scrolls, the next Angel will be the most powerful."

"That's irrelevant. You know how violent and dangerous the Third Child can be given the circumstances. I just gave him those circumstances. Of course the Second could have been kept as decoy, or cannon fodder, yet it will not be necessary. She still could have been useful to us, however now we can replace her with the Fourth in the Scenario." Gendo stated.
She didn't attack Yui and you know it, jerk. You were pretty cavalier about putting 'Yui' at risk in other fights, too, for someone who is now so worried about minor cuts. I bet you're going to miss Asuka as a deployable and disposable meatshield very soon.
"It does not matter as long as he carries out with our plan. Furthermore, the more isolated he is, the less he will have to distract him from this mission." Gendo answered coldly. Fuyutsuki winced behind his interlocutor's back but said nothing. However, it didn't mean that he agreed with his superior.
Yeah, Gendo. When your second in command is more in tune with you son's state of mind than you are... yeesh. He's like you, man, but not that like you. He's not obsessed with Yui the way you are, nor as mission-driven.
"I hate you !" She screamed, her voice cracking and tears threatening to fall from her eyes. She stormed out of the apartment leaving a shocked Third Child behind her.
Ouch... she didn't even hear the rest of what he said, did she? And Shinji's not good enough at reading her yet to understand this is exactly the sort of time he really needs to follow here despite her words, when she needs reassurance the most.

Last edited:
She was alone. Desperately, crushingly alone. She had always prided herself on living for herself, on not needing anyone. But now, knowing what it felt like to have someone she could count on, she felt she couldn't live like she used to anymore, yet she would never be so dumb as to allow someone close to her ever again. Because she knew that she would eventually mess everything up, just like she did with Shinji.
There'll be even more heartbreak in her future, when she somehow hears that Shinji didn't return from his sortie against the Angel. She'll probablya blame herself for this, too; I can see a convoluted logic string lead tom that revelation.

Addendum, 12:14h:
Or, she gets absorbed in an attempt to "atone".

Third posibility, she gets to directly blame herself for his absorption, because he needed to save her.

Last edited:
Chapter 10 : In the Colosseum
And there we go ! Finally a new chapter ! I don't have much to say, so enjoy !

"Where's Asuka ?" Shinji was feeling ambivalent about this Angel attack. On the one hand, he was apprehensive of the fight that was to take place in the near future, as he always was when he had to get inside his entry-plug, and on the other he could barely wait to see Asuka. It had been two nights since she had stormed out of the apartment and he starting to really miss her. This Angel almost seemed like a blessing in disguise to him since it meant that he would finally be able to see her again. He had no idea of how it would go or what he would do or say, but he was determined to do anything in order for her to forgive him. 'Boyfriend...' This word kept repeating in his mind 'I was her boyfriend.' He thought with melancholy.

He was thus sitting in his entry-plug. His Eva had been positioned inside the Geofront, directly next to the Headquarters. He was wielding a pallet rifle, his right hand feeling a little numb because of the wound his Eva had sustained and which was not completely healed yet. Every second seemed to last a lifetime. It was far too unusual to be deployed below the surface, something was very wrong, and the briefing didn't tell him a lot about what was happening. He was shivering a little with anticipation. Or maybe angst was really to blame.

"Miss Soryu is no longer a member of NERV." The cold voice of his father declared.

"What do you mean she's no longer a member of NERV ? You fired her !?" Shinji retorted, not believing his ears. "Are you stupid !?" The rhetorical question came without him even realizing, living with Asuka sure had left an impression on him. "She's the best Pilot among the three of us !" He said angrily, forgetting about Toji.

"I do not have to justify myself to you. But if you really want to know, she is too unstable for us to risk everyone's safety. Her reckless behavior made her a liability."

"I shouldn't be surprised." Shinji said flatly, his anger giving him confidence. He was overwhelmed by what he had just learned and its implications. Now it made sense to him why Asuka had been upset last time they saw each other, and why he hadn't seen her since. He wanted to slap himself for not having insisted when she told him she hated him. For not following her when she stormed out of the apartment. He should have stood his ground and insisted on knowing what was on her mind. 'I should have been there for her.' He thought bitterly before focusing back on the present, deciding not to delve on it just yet, there were more pressing matters at the moment. "We beat the last Angel ! She saved Toji ! He would have been killed if she hadn't been there ! You have punished her because she's done the right thing !" He was about to continue lashing out his father when an explosion brought his focus back to the battle. He was now very angry, and decided to use this anger against the Angel which had just appeared above him.

Asuka had left the station and had walked to the closest shelter automatically, almost like a robot. She could see it a few dozen meters away. She could also see Unit 01 further away, and in the same automatic way, she passed by the shelter and kept on walking towards the Evangelion. Towards Shinji.

"What are you doing there kiddo ?" Kaji said while she was walking a few meters away from him. He had his left hand in his pocket and was holding a watering can with his other hand.

Asuka didn't seem surprised by the display in front of her, it had been as if she had woken from a trance. She had walked towards the Headquarters without even thinking about it, and arrived right at Kaji's secret garden. He was there, not in a shelter, but then again, neither was she. "I've been fired, in case you didn't know." She said sarcastically. "And if I'm going to die today, it certainly won't be in one of these shelters !" She recovered quickly, hiding her true reason.

"And you want to see how Shinji's faring." Kaji simply said, seeing clearly through her facade, still watering his melons. They could see Unit 01 standing still in the distance, partially hidden by the pine trees standing in the way, a pallet rifle in its hands, its right wrist still bandaged from the previous fight.

"... We... Things didn't end well between us... I messed everything up. Big surprise right ?" She answered despondently, still transfixed by the purple giant.

"You didn't talk to him since ?" He asked, already knowing the answer.

"I couldn't. Not after what I did..." She didn't sound at all like she was supposed to. Even her demeanor was different, Kaji noticed. Her whole body language made her looked downcast, almost resigned. The fact that she wasn't wearing her neural connectors was what stood out more to the man next to her. "Besides, he's better off without me." At this precise moment, a huge explosion rocked the Geofront. They both staggered but didn't even try to take cover. Soon after, the grotesque form of the Angel appeared from the breach it had created. It looked more or less humanoid, with a disproportionately large black and white torso compared to its limbs. Its arms looked like paper ribbons, far too short to be used effectively in combat. At its center was a red sphere, its core. A stone-like mask adorned the top of its torso, locked in an eerie grimace. It descended slowly from the chasm, taking its time to approach its objective.

It then disappeared in a cloud of smoke as Shinji fired its weapon. The noise was excruciatingly loud, and amplified by the Geofront acting as a gigantic sound box. When the gun stopped firing, Asuka wasn't expecting to see the smoke dissipate as Unit 01 didn't try to shoot the Angel anymore. Shinji had remembered his fight against the fourth Angel, when a cloud of smoke that he was responsible for gave his enemy the advantage over him. Hence, he stopped firing and studied his enemy for some time. She thought about what she would have done, emptying magazine after magazine at the Angel, eroding its AT Field at the same time to weaken it from a distance.

"Is that really what you think ?" Kaji resumed their conversation as if nothing had happened, scratching his scruffy chin with his free hand.

"Of course not !" Asuka blurted out before she could filter her answer. The exhaustion of the past few days was taking its toll on her. "It felt nice to be able to count on someone. But I screwed it up..." As she said that, Unit 01 drew its progressive knife. "It doesn't matter now anyway. He probably hates me now... I could probably coerce him into staying with me, but that would just be selfish..." She trailed off. 'And I'd only hurt him in the end.'

"You've changed. You've grown so much in the last few weeks." He stated, proud of his former ward.

"I hate it ! Things were so much easier when I thought I could live only for myself ! I feel like I failed myself !" Her fire was coming back to her as she spoke. She wasn't being completely honest, of course, but at least her outburst meant that she wasn't defeated yet. She might have been stripped bare of her status, of her title, of her Eva, but nobody could rid her of her pride ! The Angel and Unit 01 were now looking at each other, studying each other, waiting for the other to move first.

"Don't think of it that way. You haven't failed, you have learned."

"And just what the hell did I learn !?" She spat out. "I already knew that living just by myself was less painful than this !"

"You've learned that you can be more than just an Eva Pilot. And that you don't have to be alone. That there are people out there who care, I mean genuinely care about you." He stated, looking at Unit 01 for a few seconds.

"And what good does it make ?" Asuka asked, fuming, turning to face her interlocutor. For the first time since they had started talking, she had managed to pry her eyes off Unit 01. She missed as a consequence the Angel throwing its ribbon arm at the Eva, who barely dodged it before taking a defensive stance a fair distance away from its foe. "After the battle is over I'll be escorted back to the station so I can be shipped back to Germany !" She was torn between anger and despair.

"If we survive." Unit 00 emerged from the ground at this moment, a sonic glaive in its only hand, since its left arm wasn't regenerated yet. Rei gave the weapon to Shinji who tried to close the gap between him and the Angel to attack it with his now longer range. Rei stayed back and picked up one of the many weapons which were laid close to Unit 01's position, a rocket launcher, and fired some distraction shots at the Angel. "It's said if an Angel makes contact with Adam, who lies below here, humanity will be eradicated. The Third Impact." Shinji barely avoided a ribbon coming for him by lunging forward while ducking. Slowly but surely, he was getting closer to his target.

Asuka turned her gaze back to the battle before her, silently cheering and encouraging Shinji. "Don't worry about it, he's the Invincible Shinji, he can't lose !" She said dismissively. "He'll kick this Angel's a-Shinji ! Duck !" She shouted as the Angel threw another of his ribbons at Unit 01 who managed to dodge it by quickly moving right, only to arrive directly in the path of the Angel's second ribbon. As if he had heard Asuka's command, he ducked and avoided the attack, however, his umbilical cable didn't. Both ends of the cable erupted in a fountain of sparks as they were cleanly cut off. Unit 01 staggered for a second, as if Shinji had let doubt overcome him until it started moving again, just in time to raise its glaive in front of its face to protect himself from the ribbon thrown by the Angel, which connected with tremendous force against the blade, cutting itself through all its length on the weapon. One of the halves hit Unit 01's left shoulder pylon, severing it with its momentum before falling limp on the ground behind the Eva, useless.

"Asuka, the only thing I can do is stand here and water." Kaji said, not paying any attention to the battle or the girl tensing up next to him. "But you, you have something that you can do. That only you can do." With only one usable arm, the Angel was now less efficient when attacking, and as a consequence, less threatening. Unable to focus on both targets at the same time, it seemed overwhelmed by the two Evangelions fighting it. "If you both die, at least he'll know that you had his back until the end..." The Angel was getting attacked more and more relentlessly now, until it stopped focusing on Unit 01. It turned to face the other Eva as its eyes started to glow, taking the two Pilots by surprise. A second after, a gigantic explosion rocked the inside of the Geofront and engulfed Unit 00. When the smoke cleared, the blue Evangelion was motionless, silent, lying down on the ground several hundred meters from its previous position, its armor melted on the front because of the explosion. Shinji seemed stunned, as Unit 01 didn't do anything for several agonizing seconds. "And if you survive, you'll be able to talk to him. He might not forgive you, especially for not telling him about you leaving Japan... But you owe it to him... To the both you." Shinji had retreated to the laying form of Unit 00 to put it on its side and grab its umbilical cable. Its entry-plug ejected as soon as it could, propelling itself away from the battle.

"You're right. Thanks, Kaji..." She trailed off for a few seconds. "And thanks for not doing anything on the Over the Rainbow. A lesser man wouldn't have been able to resist... But seriously, I'm sorry... For everything." Asuka said, not daring to look him in the eyes, though her feelings of weakness and shame from the apology were nothing compared to the determination and excitement she felt for the battles she was about to fight. First, she had to somehow get back inside her Eva, then she had to destroy this Angel. With its new source of power, Unit 01 resumed its assault. Shinji was fighting like a demon, Unit 01 was, if not gracefully, efficiently dodging every attack sent its way and getting closer and closer to its target. Maybe he wouldn't need her at all. Maybe nothing would change. She put those thoughts at the back of her mind for the time being. It was no use worrying about this right now, she wasn't even sure they, or rather he, would let her pilot anyway.

Kaji let out a small understanding smile. "Go." He didn't have to say anything more. He perfectly knew what she meant, and what it meant to her to say those words. Asuka ran like she never ran before. The entrance to the Geofront wasn't very far from Kaji's garden, but every second counted. She wasn't paying attention to the battle anymore, already focusing on getting to him, she was getting excited at the prospect of showing him that she still had his back. Huge cracking and slicing noises almost made her stop to look behind her but she refused to waste precious time, trying to mentally block the noises of crashes around her in order to reach the entrance as quickly as possible, using this short run to clear her head and prepare herself mentally.

Things were getting dire in the Command Center. Everyone was trying their best not to panic. Even Fuyutsuki, behind his impassible stance, was feeling rather uneasy. Ritsuko was furiously typing on a computer next to Maya which was trying her best just to keep up with her sempai. But despite their best efforts, Unit 02 wouldn't accept the Dummy Plug. Ritsuko had tried to explain that Dr. Soryu's failed contact experiment and subsequent split of her soul made the synchronization with the Dummy plug too erratic to make Unit 02 usable in combat to Gendo. At times, the sync ratio was completely acceptable, but it never lasted long. With no apparent reason to people who didn't know the inner workings of an Evangelion, it dipped below the activation threshold, then reactivated, without regularity or any kind of pattern. The consequence was that the Eva deactivated in the middle of an action for several seconds, then reactivated and so on and so forth, so it would be completely useless against the Angel. But the Commander had given the order. The Dummy Plug had to synchronize with Unit 02, so Ritsuko and Maya were trying to find a way to circumvent this major setback. The constant headache Ritsuko was dealing with since she got injured in the explosion of the Matsushiro Experiment Facility didn't help.

Toji was in the entry-plug, desperately trying as well to synchronize with the red giant, but his lack of training made it clear that he wouldn't succeed. That he wouldn't be able to help his friend. He would have probably been able to do something in his own Eva, but it was far from being repaired, and still under quarantine. Gendo had no intention of using him in the first place, he had expected the Dummy Plug to easily sync with Unit 02. But desperate times call for desperate measures, so he had been ordered to get into Unit 02. Toji still tried as much as he could to do something. He hated the helplessness he felt while hearing Shinji's enraged screams through the comm channel.

Things were not going according to plan, so Gendo was bracing himself for a Third Impact which would not be on his own terms. Maybe he would still be reunited with Yui. His theorizations came to a halt when he heard sounds which didn't fit with the situation. He seemed to hear people cheering in the Eva cage below. He stopped pacing in the Eva's control room and turned towards the source of these unexpected noises. "Why are you here ?" He said upon noticing the reason of this joyfulness.

The entry-plug slid out of the Evangelion and its hatch opened, revealing Toji who jumped on the gangway next to him to watch the scene unfolding before his eyes.

"I am the Pilot of Evangelion Unit 02 ! I am Asuka Langley Soryu !" She shouted with determination and defiance. She knew that if he had been capable of launching her Eva without her, he would have done it by now. So for whatever reason, he needed her. A sardonic smile appeared on her lips.

She ran to the entry-plug without even waiting for the Commander to accept what was happening. Toji waited for her to be close enough to speak. "Well, looks like nobody can make this pile of junk move but you, Devil ! Even their damn autopilot didn't work !.. It's good to see you." He said with a genuine smile on his face, probably the first one he ever directed her.

"I'll show you how it's done, scrub !" She answered with a smile of her own, with no real aggression towards her usurper, already climbing inside the plug.

One of the techs caught up to them as they were talking and almost ceremoniously offered her a new set of A10 hair clips which she quickly put in their rightful place. "Thanks for coming back. We really needed you." He timidly said before leaving almost faster than he arrived. Most of the techs admired the Pilots of the Evas they were assigned to, this one was no exception.

"Go kick its ass !" Toji managed to add before the entry-plug sealed shut and slid inside Unit 02's neck. When the activation sequence started, Asuka felt something. She felt the connection between her and her Eva like never before. It felt clearer, more direct. When the walls of the entry-plug showed her the outside world, she was ready.

Panic was now clearly etched on the face of every person present in the Command Center. And it had been spreading like wildfire in the entire Headquarters since Misato had ordered all personnel to be evacuated. It had been breached, and the attacker had promptly reached the Command Center. Everyone looked in horror at the Angel when its eyes started to glow threateningly. Time seemed to stop, silence seemed to envelop her as she closed her eyes and took her cross in her right hand, her left arm still in a cast, and prepared as much as she could for her impending fate. A deafening noise broke the silence in her mind and all the alarms resumed blaring in her ears. She opened her eyes just in time to catch a glimpse of a red blur punching the Angel away from them. Her brain kicked back into gear almost immediately as she realized what was happening. "Unit 02 !? Asuka !"

The only answer she got was a furious scream from the German girl. She had been feeling powerless and sorry for herself for the past two days, but not anymore. Her confrontation with the Commander had just been an appetizer, and this fight was the main course. As soon as she had carved herself a passage to the Command Center and seen the Angel, she let her rage lead her actions. She wasn't in her entry-plug to save humanity right now, she was there to kill. Her pent-up frustration over the last days now only served to fuel her ire. This Angel was going to die. All it could do would only postpone the ineluctable. The red Eva punched its enemy repeatedly before pushing it against the wall on the other side of the room, destroying it as well in the process. All crew members let out a sigh of relief as the threat was moved away from them.

The Angel stumbled and fell on its back in the empty Eva cage. Asuka, carried by her momentum fell on top of it. She raised her Eva's fist in order to punch the Angel again. A light emanated from its eyes but Asuka had seen this attack on the surface, she quickly dodged to the right thanks to her instinct and combat training. The laser only managed to hit the ceiling, making debris fall over Unit 02. Asuka should have been stunned by the huge chunks of metal and concrete falling on her back and head, however, in this state, nothing could stop her. She stumbled a little when she stood back up because of the rubble on the ground and the weight of the Angel that she was pulling with her by its face. Its "neck" stretched a little before the rest of its body followed the movement.

She punched it again a few times for good measure when it was standing. Asuka wondered for a brief second if this was the same Angel she had seen while talking to Kaji. It didn't react, it didn't try to fight back. She focused back on her objective and pushed it as far as she could, against the wall of an Eva lift. "Misato !" It had been the only intelligible sound erupting from her mouth since she had joined the fight. It had been unnecessary, since the Major had already given the order to launch the catapult. She maintained the Angel's face against the steel rail all the way up to the top, making sparks erupt from the friction. "Hey Third ! You and I will have a talk once this is over !" She didn't really want to sound threatening, but her actual mindset made it impossible to sound any other way. She was determined, angry. She wanted to show the Commander that she could not be that easily replaced. That he had made a mistake. That he needed her to win this war.

The two giants carried their momentum when the lift stopped, projecting them both in the air. She had already started to switch her position, standing over the Angel while still in the air, one foot right on her enemy's core, the other leg bent in order to put the most weight on the first one. She was emulating the position in which she had, with Shinji, literally landed the final blow on the Seventh Angel. It was at this moment, seconds before landing, that she froze. Out of her the corner of her eye first, she saw Unit 01, then she turned her head to make sure what she saw was real. There it was, a few dozen meters away from her, still standing. It had been decapitated. She couldn't concentrate on anything but him anymore. This was the reason why he didn't answer. She desperately wanted to know if he was alright. If he was still alive. With the sync ratio he had managed to attain during the tests, the neural feedback could have given him whiplash, or it could have blocked his trachea, making him choke to death, alone in his entry-plug.

She didn't even notice two rock-like appendages emerging from around the Angel's core, encasing it so they were between the core and her Eva's foot. The behemoths crashed on the ground not far from Unit 01's beheaded form. Unit 02 lost its stance and tumbled away from the Angel, destroying the landscape in its way. The fall put Asuka out of her daze, and she turned her attention back to the Angel with renewed anger, swearing and threatening loudly her foe in German. She launched her Eva head first towards the Angel, tackling it to the ground before punching it again.

She was boiling with rage, hitting it with all her might when suddenly, the walls of her entry-plug turned black. "No !" She shouted as she understood what happened. No more power. She had failed. There was nothing left standing between the Angel and the end of the world. She wouldn't see Shinji again. It was over. In the darkness of her entry-plug, Asuka started to cry once more. She didn't even care when her Eva was thrown away, nor when an explosion rocked her entry-plug. She just let herself get overwhelmed with helplessness, openly sobbing, not paying any attention to her confined surroundings. As time passed, she became more and more aware of loud impacts rocking her entry-plug, interrupting her despondency. The impacts were slow, but relentless, merciless. Some times later, the loud thuds were joined by the noise of something cracking all around her.

"No !" She shrieked. She had given up for a moment. Not anymore. She was Asuka Langley Soryu. She did not give up. "I can't lose ! I won't lose !" The hits didn't stop, nor did they increase in speed as she was now yanking furiously her butterfly handles, screaming madly, not caring anymore if anyone could hear her. "Move ! Move gottverdammt ! Move !" The impacts only served to make her more enraged. "Move ! Move ! You have to move !" She thought the Angel was mocking her personally now that she had fallen, humiliating her without honor. "I can't lose ! If I lose then it's all over and I can't let this happen !" The red behemoth didn't move, however. She kept on pushing the butterfly handles desperately, weakly wailing at the same time. Finally, this rollercoaster of emotions of the past days proved to be too much, even for the great Asuka Langley Soryu. She slammed her fist lamely on her right control yoke with a short shout full of anger, frustration and sadness, slouching on her seat.

The weight of her defeat was slowly creeping back to overwhelm her. "Move ! If you don't move we'll all die !" She lamented. "I don't want to die..." She solemnly said, her tears dissolving inside the LCL around her. "...I haven't had the chance to tell him how much he means to me... If we die, he'll never know that I... Love him."

She raised her head, her eyes wide when she heard a thunderous heartbeat. She stayed still when she heard another... Then another... Then another. She was completely paralyzed as her Eva finally answered her plea and awakened. Its four eyes lit up as the top and lower parts of its face mask shifted in order to reveal them. It raised its AT Field to block the next attack of the Angel. The ribbon-like arm was shredded as soon as it made contact with the octagonal barrier, and the reverberation was enough to injure the Angel itself, which crashed on its back while blood poured from the gashes it had just received.

Unit 02 stood up slowly, taking its time as its threat was neutralized for the time being. It breathed heavily through its mouth then arched and roared powerfully before falling on all fours and making its way towards its fallen foe. It stopped for a few seconds only to bury its fingers in the monster's eyes, preventing it from trying to retaliate with a last, desperate attack.

Unit 02's eyes narrowed in a vicious expression of anticipation. It then lowered its head towards the Angel until it abruptly stopped, its action impeded by some obstacle. It snarled in frustration, then arched back up before grabbing the lower part of its face mask at the chin with both hands before pulling on it with all its strength while roaring ferociously. The bottom of the face mask broke after a few seconds on both sides of the beast's jaw, freeing its mouth. The Eva let out a vicious scream, now unhindered by the restraining mask, its teeth glowing in the artificial light of the Geofront, before resuming its previous action. It started savagely eating the Angel, tearing its flesh, ripping its bones before crunching them in its powerful jaw. The beast suddenly straightened and looked cautiously behind its back before returning to its meal.

The Angel was dead, however Unit 02 was still very much active. It looked around for a few seconds before standing on its hind legs, the armor binding it to humanity's will breaking as the beast's muscles expanded on its arms, torso and back. It roared to the Heavens above as if daring humanity or the Angels, or anything else to try and stop it.

It says something about this fandom that when things look like they're actually going well, especially with Asuka, I start getting nervous. That said, good chapter and a damn original take on the Big Z fight.

Gendo had no intention of using him in the first place, he had expected the Dummy Plug to easily sync with Unit 02.
You're supposed to be a scientist, Gendo. You should know how important testing is, especially when it's something you can't afford to have fail on you in the heat of battle.
She knew that if he had been capable of launching her Eva without her, he would have done it by now. So for whatever reason, he needed her. A sardonic smile appeared on her lips.
Says a lot about Asuka that she can still feel that sort of amusement even right then.
"...I haven't had the chance to tell him how much he means to me... If we die, he'll never know that I... Love him."
An epiphany Shinji never had on his turn at this. Now, will she be able to say that again when it's not under the same life-or-death pressure? Her conversation with Kaji suggests she's already found the reason.
The Eva let out a vicious scream, now unhindered by the restraining mask, its teeth glowing in the artificial light of the Geofront, before resuming its previous action. It started savagely eating the Angel, tearing its flesh, ripping its bones before crunching them in its powerful jaw. The beast suddenly straightened and looked cautiously behind its back before returning to its meal.
And this is going to go weird too. In canon it was the key to Gendo's plot, that the Lilith-based Unit-01 gain an Adamite S2 Organ, thus uniting the two powers. But Unit-02 is Adamite tissue already. It will almost certainly skew things.

And this is going to go weird too. In canon it was the key to Gendo's plot, that the Lilith-based Unit-01 gain an Adamite S2 Organ, thus uniting the two powers. But Unit-02 is Adamite tissue already. It will almost certainly skew things.

I don't see it like that ! Maybe I'm completely wrong, but Gendo doesn't need Unit 01 at all for his plan. Well, except for the fact that Yui's soul is inside I mean. He wants to start 3rd Impact with Rei, Lilith and Adam's body. Unit 01 was just a contingency in case his plan (or SEELE's for that matter) failed.

I sure hope I'm right !

I don't see it like that ! Maybe I'm completely wrong, but Gendo doesn't need Unit 01 at all for his plan. Well, except for the fact that Yui's soul is inside I mean. He wants to start 3rd Impact with Rei, Lilith and Adam's body. Unit 01 was just a contingency in case his plan (or SEELE's for that matter) failed.

I sure hope I'm right !
I think you are right too! It is just weird that Gendo reacted to Unit-01 eating Zeruel's S2 Organ as some major development SEELE couldn't ignore, and the 'real start of his plan!!!' and then it... wasn't really needed? I dunno. Gendo's plan was odd all over.

I think the guy's just been all "all according to keikaku" for so long he's doing it compulsively; he couldn't not react that way if he wanted to.

My guess is that it's right after this that Anno decided that the characters of Eva sucked and that they didn't deserve a happy end.

There was a major turnaround in the series at one point and this is it in my opinion. Stuff starts to hit the fan seriously from this point onward.

@E.D.C. Really like what you have thrown together, this is a fresh take on a genre that show creator Anno himself believes is so complex or even broken, that is, not able to attract new fans without involving a lot of behind-the-scenes insights from the existing fans (Reddit; these forums) to ultimately explore some deep topics.

I want to share this video, through the spoiler drop-down below. It discusses (in about the duration of an anime episode) how Anno viewed Evangelion according to a variety of sources.

Look forward to next chapter!

Chapter 11 : The world keeps turning
I'm pretty late for this one, sorry about that ! Enjoy !

Day 2 :

I didn't have this notebook yesterday so what I'll just write what happened today. I could have put everything in the same entry but I wanted to relate everything day by day. So this is the day I got out of the hospital. I wasn't seriously injured during the battle, nothing more than some bruises. I spent a day there... Well, more like 30 something hours. I guess I just needed some rest. Mr Kaji came here at the end of the day. I imagine Misato needed someone to babysit me since she wasn't coming home. Too much work she said. It makes sense considering the last battle. She didn't tell me anything about you which is what worries me the most. I know that you came back and that you killed the Angel, but what happened ? Why can't I see you ? Why does nobody want to tell me anything ? Even Mr Kaji seemed worried. We didn't talk much, even I thought the silence was awkward !

What happened to you ?

Day 3 :

Mr Kaji came by again. I guess I'll have to get used to him being here from now on. He just gave me this notebook. He told me to write about what I think, what I feel. And as you can see I am doing just that. I can already see you laugh at my face for obeying orders, just like with the cello... Or the Eva. But it helps, somehow.

Misato called me some hours later. Mr Kaji was nice enough not to try and disturb me while I was in my room. She gave me good news... I think. She told me that you were still alive, that you were still in your Eva, but that something happened during the battle. From what I understood, your sync ratio was so high that you got absorbed inside your Eva. So you're still there but you aren't, and you can't leave. Misato told me that Dr Akagi had a plan to get you out, but that it would take some time. I stayed on my bed for hours afterwards I think to try and make sense of it.

I guess this notebook will serve as a way for me to relate to you what happens while you're gone. That is, if you even accept to read it. Mr Kaji told me that you and him talked before you came back, but he didn't want to tell me what it was about. He only said that you were not mad at me, and that you regretted yelling at me the last time we saw each other.

You know, I shouldn't have let you go. I should have ran after you. I learned what my fath... What the Commander did. I feel so ashamed of myself for what I did... Or didn't do. For not insisting on knowing what was bothering you. For not being there to comfort you when you needed me.

Do you remember the night we first kissed ? That night, I promised myself I wouldn't run away from you anymore. And despite my word, I did. By not following you, I did. I failed you. You will not like this, but I'm sorry. Sincerely.

Day 4 :

If everyday is like this, I won't use a lot of pages of this notebook, that's for sure. Nothing happened. Misato is still at NERV. I think she's avoiding me. I don't understand why. I already know everything, right ? Do you think she's still hiding things from me ? This is killing me ! I'm starting to think that she doesn't come home because she does have bad news to tell me.

Mr Kaji didn't come either, oddly enough. I spent the whole day alone, in my room. I didn't even bother myself with cooking. I'm not hungry, I'm sad. The only thing I feel is sadness, but the tears won't come.

Oh ! I fed Pen Pen. At least I did something today. He seems somber too. I guess he misses you as well.

Day 5 :

Misato came back today. I don't know what I was expecting though, she just drank beer after beer as soon as she passed the threshold. She didn't even come see me before. It still cheered me a little to see her, even though we hardly talked.

I thought I would be pry some information out of her in her state but she kept silent. I'm really worried now. I'm really starting to doubt that I'll be able to give you this notebook one day.

But this isn't the worst part. Do you want to know it ? She cooked for the both of us. And I realized this only when I had finished eating ! I have to do something, I can't stay like this. I didn't even think what she "cooked" was that bad, can you believe this ?

Day 6 :

Today was the first sync test since the Angel. We had to do them in the test plugs, since all the Evas are still being repaired. If another Angel attacks us, we won't last long. None of them can be used yet.

I thought this test would help me think about something else. Guess what ? It didn't. And I did horribly. I don't care to be honest. I didn't even react when Misato told me that I was barely above the activation threshold. Even Toji did better than me.

He tried to talk to me but I left as soon and as quickly as possible. I had only one thing on my mind when I came to NERV today, I wanted to see Unit 02... To see you. It was very strange to see it with all those bandages instead of the armor on its face. And its eyes They looked so... Alive... So human. I don't really know how to describe them, they were really unsettling. I had the impression that your Eva was looking at me the whole time I stayed there.

There were wires sticking out of it from everywhere. I don't know why they are here. Are they some sort of life support for you ? Are they used to monitor the Eva ? It doesn't matter. What matters to me was that you are there. I promise I'll come visit you as much as possible, but I thought about it, I can't come everyday and stay there all the time. It's already suspicious enough of me to come see Unit 02 in the first place. So I decided to come see you every time there'll be sync test or when I need to go to NERV.

Day 7 :

We talked with Misato in the evening. She told me she had realized that she hadn't been there for me and promised me that she would from now on. I guess my sync ratio was really that bad !

She promised me that she would not avoid me anymore, and that she shouldn't have done it in the first place. It still feels strange you know. I've spent most of my life alone, I'm not used to having someone tell me that sort of things. My teacher would have probably ignored me completely in this situation, and he wouldn't have apologized, or even realized how it would have made me feel.

We also talked about relationships. Like the one we used to have. It was really awkward. That's what made me realize that she was "back". She was really enjoying herself while teasing me. Overall, it was almost a normal evening. It was nice.

Day 8 :

Ayanami came to the apartment today. I was really surprised to see her. She wanted to talk to me, maybe she was worried since I didn't come back to school since the last Angel. She asked me how I felt and more importantly, why I felt this way. She didn't say it like that but what she meant was that she didn't quite understand the concept of sadness.

We didn't talk for a long time, Ayanami just came, asked me some questions and left. We talked about the Commander and this time she didn't slap me for telling her what I thought about him.

Day 9 :

I went to see the Commander today. I was about to spend yet another day doing nothing except reminiscing about you and the time we spent together when my mind took another direction. I thought about the last time we talked... The last time I saw you, except this time it didn't make me wistful, it made me angry. Very angry. So I left the apartment and went straight to my... To the Commander's office.

And I completely lost control ! It seemed so unreal, as if it was someone else, as if I was watching it from outside my body. At one point I thought he might have me arrested or something but I just didn't care, I kept going and kept going until Section 2 agents took me out of the office and back to the apartment. I'm not proud of saying that but it felt good. I just slumped when I arrived home, drained of all my energy. It's been satisfying.

I can't believe he could have been stupid enough to fire you. If we had been together... I mean all three of us, we might have been able to kill the Angel without... Your accident. I've never been this angry at anyone before. To think I used to fight to have him notice me... I'm pretty sure he has now.

Day 10 :

Venting out all my anger must have had a really good effect on me, because this morning I decided I'd go back to school. I felt confident, I thought I could overcome any challenge !

I was wrong. Very wrong. I realized this mistake as soon as I arrived. It wasn't that bad at first, I went straight to the classroom so I didn't see many people, it was pretty early.

Then all I could do was look at your empty desk. I just stayed there, dumbly looking at your desk, everyone passing by me. I didn't even acknowledge them until one of them punched my shoulder rather hard. Toji. I hadn't faced him since I almost killed him. I didn't even think about him. I was paralyzed when I saw him. If it weren't for you, he'd probably be dead, and I didn't even check on him after the battle ! So I ran. I ran away from school and went straight back to the apartment.

I thought I was safe. I was wrong, again. I underestimated Toji. He came after school. He just told me not to worry about him, that he was fine. He promised that if I continued feeling sorry about what happened he'd kick the crap out of me. He left right after that. I guess he knew I wouldn't have picked up the phone if he had called. At least he doesn't know about us.

Misato was very supportive, she reassured me when she came home, told me that I could take as much time off school as I needed. She also told me that Dr Akagi was making good progress. I have to trust her, no one knows the Evas like she does. Maya's helping a lot too.

Day 11 :

Toji and Kensuke came to see me today. It makes sense, after what happened yesterday. And I imagine Toji wanted to make sure I was doing as he had told. I'm still standing, so I guess I passed the test. Anyway, nothing really interesting happened, we just talked and payed some video games. It felt nice I have to admit. My only regret is that I can't talk to them. Not because we agreed on not telling anyone. Just because I don't feel like I want to tell them. I don't know if you see what I mean, I'm not sure I understand myself.

Day 12 :

It was Mr Kaji's turn to be here today. He wanted to know how I was feeling. We talked for a long time. About you, about Misato... He stayed a while so I won't bore you with the uninteresting parts, but something peculiar happened. When I told him in details how I felt, he seemed pensive. He wasn't smiling like he usually does. I really can't hazard a guess as to what I could have said that could have had this effect on him.

I just told him how sad I was that you weren't there anymore... Even just putting this on paper seems strange. I'm not used to sharing my feelings like that. It's even more strange that I'm writing them here, so that means that I'm writing them for you to read...

Anyway. I told him that I didn't know how I would feel if I didn't see you again. That I already felt devastated... That I thought you deserved a proper burial, even if you wouldn't be there... Just like my mother.

He almost seemed shocked when I told him that. I say almost because I just can't be sure with him, he never shows his emotions. But I can assure you I saw something.

Day 13 :

I have not been in your room since the last time we saw each other. I promise. But after what happened, I needed to. It's part of you, your little world, with your clothes and magazines on the floor. Your still unmade bed ! And it still smells like you a little. I didn't want to intrude, I swear, I didn't feel like you would have wanted me to anymore. But today I had to. I try to cope with your disappearance, but it's just too much. I'm scared. Scared that I'll never see you again. I miss you.

I should explain why. Today, we had a sync test. We were four. The new Pilot's name is Kaworu Nagisa. He's the Fifth Child. He was sent here as dedicated Pilot for Unit 02. They replaced you ! And the only reason I can think of for them doing this is that you're not coming back.

He tried to talk to me after the test, I kind of lost control and lashed out at him. I even tried to punch him ! Toji was there, he caught me before I could do anything. I feel kind of bad because he seems nice enough. But he's replacing you... I'm thankful that Toji stopped me, even though I still feel bad when I see him.

You would have been proud I think. I lost control just because of what he is in relation to you. I'm less patient than I thought. It makes sense... You're the only one who tried my patience to this extent before that. And I know I would never have lost control against you.

Day 14 :

We talked about you with Misato. We spent the day together, she managed to take a day off just to take care of me. She told me about the time she was your guardian in Germany, it seemed nice. At least she seemed to have enjoyed it. She told me she even missed the times when you both fought ! Because it always passed. She said she was sad that as time went by you seemed to grow colder and more distant towards everyone... Except me, she added that she was really happy to see how we had a positive influence on each other. She wasn't teasing this time, which made me all the more uncomfortable !

When I asked her why you were distant, she refused to tell me. She said that if you wanted me to know, you would be the one to tell me when you'd come back. I really, genuinely wish I knew. I already told you, I hate to know how sad you are and not being able to do anything about it.

Misato's trying to stay positive and I can't thank her enough for that, but you know her, she's really not good with this kind of things. I know she's preoccupied. I want to believe her when she says you'll come back, but it's really hard.

Day 15 :

Toji came to see me after school. He knows about us. My reaction when he asked if this was true was... Eloquent, to say the least. He told me that Ayanami had shared her suspicions with him one day. So much for keeping it secret.

He doesn't really approve, but he doesn't know you like I do. That being said, he respects you a lot. He told me about your comeback to NERV, he was really impressed at how you talked to the Commander ! Don't repeat it but he told me that the Commander scares him. I can relate.

Before he left, he told me he was happy for us. Well, he said for me, but it's a start, right ?

At first I was... Apprehensive. I didn't want to talk to him. He has already moved on, but I didn't. I don't think he realizes what could have happened. That being said, I'm glad we talked. It took my mind of everything, even if it was only temporary.

Day 16 :

Everything reminds me of you. Take this room for example. If I'm in there, it's because of you, because you stole my bedroom when you moved in. Now that I think about it, I really don't understand what came to Misato's mind when she took you in as well. Did she plan for me to get kicked out of my room ? She must have. You would never have agreed to live in the smallest room of the apartment. She must have known that ! Maybe she wanted me to protest.

Do you want to know why I didn't ? There are two reasons. First, I knew it wouldn't have changed anything. I know, this is not a good reason, I know I should stand my ground. I didn't because of the second reason, which is that wanted you to stay. If I had insisted enough on not wanting to live in the closet, Misato would have made one of us leave, and I didn't want that. I wanted to get to know you. I didn't like my new room, obviously, but that was a small price to pay for what I could gain for it.

I thought about all this when I was making breakfast this morning. You usually used to be there, sitting at the table behind me, yelling at me for not cooking fast enough, complaining because you were angry at one thing or another. It's funny how our perception of things can change. Now I would give anything just to have you yell at me again.

Day 17 :

I wonder... What would you have done I had been the one absorbed ? If I had to guess, I think you would have been mad at me for disappearing like that. You would probably have just waited for me to return to yell at me and call me an idiot !

Maybe you would have been sad ? Even just a little ? In any case, I'm sure you would have taken this much better than I do. You've always been so strong.

Day 18 :

I watched the movie we saw together again. I want to believe that they kept their promise. That they both came back and were reunited. I understand it's just wishful thinking, and that I'm just projecting my own hopes, but I can't tell you how much I need to believe they were reunited in the end...

Day 19 :

Well ! That was an interesting day ! Toji took me to visit his sister at the hospital. She reminded me a lot of you ! She might be stuck in the hospital but she doesn't let it get to her ! She's so energetic and lively. You wouldn't recognize Toji when he's around her, he's so quiet around her. That's probably because Sakura is always scolding him !

Toji told me she's getting better every day, so she'll be released soon. He hasn't told her yet because he doesn't want to keep her hopes up. I can understand that, she already can't stand in one place ! That's to be expected, she's bored out of her mind in there. She's been in the hospital for five months and she told me her most exciting day has been when she got transferred to NERV hospital. He told me that he accepted to become a Pilot because of that. He asked me why I was still piloting, since he knows how much I hate it, so I told him that he and I fought for the same reason. That I fight for you, that I won't run away from a fight because you count on me to have your back, even if I know you don't need me to !

I wasn't sure I would be telling you this, but I also felt very queasy around her. She kept telling me I saved her life, that I was a hero. I've never considered myself a hero. I hate being called that. She's in the hospital because of me ! And she calls me a hero. I don't understand. I still think Toji did the right thing when he punched me... She did get hurt because of me. And I wasn't even able to protect you. If I had fought better, she wouldn't have been injured and you probably would still be there.

Day 20 :

I went to see you after the test today, as usual. I'd like to come more, but I don't want to attract too much attention. The techs didn't seem to care, they must be used to seeing me by now. Some of them looked at me solemnly, I don't know if it's because they pity me or if they sympathize with my sorrow. To be honest, I don't really care, as long as they leave me alone.

Misato doesn't like that. She understands why I do it so she lets me, yet she'd rather I did not go see you. She's right, it's dangerous, but that doesn't change anything. Seeing your Eva is the only form of contact I still have with you, and I really need it, I'm starting to have trouble remembering your face or your voice.

The good news is that all our Evas are repaired and ready for combat. When I asked, Dr Akagi promised me they would use yours only if they don't have any other choice. The Fifth Child is only a backup in case Ayanami, Toji and I fail, and it won't happen. I won't let it. My sync rate is not as high as it used to be but it's climbing up slowly, and Toji promised me he'd help. He seemed really honest, you must have left quite an impression on him !

Day 21 :

Kensuke came today. I feel like everyone takes turn just not to leave me alone. I'm a little angry about that, but on the other hand, it's nice so overall I'm glad they do.

He has no clue as to what's been going on between you and me,, I'm pretty sure of that, because he kept telling me that not having you to boss me around had to be amazing. According to him, I'm on vacation from you and your moods right now.

You know what I think about that, so you can guess how it made me feel to hear this. Don't get me wrong, I still really appreciate what he's doing for me, what they all are, but I can't believe he hasn't put two and two together yet. Then again you had to tell me about Toji and Hikari.

He invited me to go to the arcade tomorrow with the three of them, I wanted to say no, but I might have a good time so I accepted.

Day 22 :

Mission accomplished. I had a lot of fun. So much that I didn't think about you for a few hours. And it made me feel guilty. It's not that I feel that I'm not allowed to have fun now that you're... Not there, it's just that it doesn't feel right. You should still be with us, having fun with us, living your life !

Sometimes it feels like everyone just kept going, not realizing just how much they have lost too. They don't realize that they might be dead tomorrow because you won't be there to protect them !

Not thinking about you feels like I'm betraying you in a way, like I'm starting to do just as they do, forgetting you. It's not right. I should think about you all the time. You disappeared ! You might never come back ! They should erect a statue in your memory ! Declare a national holiday ! And I should not stop thinking about you like I did. I'm pathetic.

Day 23 :

Sometimes I wish that I didn't come to your room when I did. If I had ran away like I always used to, it would have been easier for me to cope with your disappearance. Losing you hurts more than any physical pain. I feel so empty. And guilty for even thinking this. I don't want you to believe that I regret what happened between us. I really don't, I promise, it's just that it's almost unbearable sometimes.

Sometimes it just feels like it's too much to handle, and there's absolutely nothing I can do. It's horrible to be this powerless. The only thing I can do is accept it and move on. I don't want to. And I won't.

Misato does everything she can to reassure me. She always tells me that Dr Akagi is making progress and that you'll be back with us soon. She doesn't know anything. Even Dr Akagi doesn't know anything. There's no way of knowing for sure that you'll come back ! If things had stayed as they were, I would have lost a friend. It would have been hard of course, but it would have been nothing compared to this.

I lost you. The one I care for the most. The one I was the most scared of losing. And I don't want to talk about it to anyone, because no one would understand. You're the only one who could understand. The only one I want to talk to about it.

Day 24 :

Do you want to come back in the first place ? I thought about it last night. I know the question is strange, but I mean, maybe you're happy. If you're conscious of what's happening maybe forcing you to come back would only be cruel.

I'm not sure I would. I've tried all my life to run away from the pain, and not being aware of what's happening sounds almost... Appealing.

If I had been given this choice a few weeks ago, I would have probably chosen to stay there, away from the pain, from the loneliness, from the sadness. But now everything is different. You changed everything ! You made me realize that I'm not just an Eva Pilot. That's what I thought before, that people considered me only because of that. You made me realize that people were nice to me, and not just because I'm a Pilot.

I wanted to talk to you before the battle, to face you, just to tell you that I was there for you. I am conscious of the fact that you would have had an easier time believing me if I had followed you last time. I need you to be patient with me too.

Now, with everything that's happened, if I had been absorbed and you had been the one left behind, I would have come back just so I could tell you what I want to tell you.

Day 25 :

Rei and I talked again. It seems they are making good progress towards your rescue. It made me really happy to hear that. Even though it might be stupid, I still hold onto the hope that you'll come back. That I'll be able to see you, even if you don't want to talk to me anymore, I don't care.

The weird part came after. She told me that she understood better how I felt now, she has thought about it a lot after our conversation. She told me that she hoped someone would mourn her as I am mourning your right now if she were to disappear too. And she added that she hated feeling that way because she was hoping to make someone sad because of her, and someone close to her. I told her I would mourn her too. I don't want to. I don't want anyone to die.

She said something that cheered me up though. She said that things were different now without you. Quieter. That made me laugh ! She told me that now, she finds the locker room unnerving because it's too silent. I guess she misses you too. Despite everything that's happened between you.

Day 26 :

Today has to have been the most surprising day since you left. Toji came to visit me. With Hikari. And according to them, I'm the one responsible for them being together now. I made him understand that running away was not a solution. It might seem strange but I am jealous of them. They are together, happy. I envy them so much ! How come they are allowed to be happy together when we can't ? This is so frustrating ! Either they don't realize what happened or they don't care ! It's not fair that they get to keep on with their lives when you can't ! I know this is selfish but I want you back ! I need you back !

Day 27 :

Okay. This week is getting stranger and stranger. As usual I came to see you after the sync test, I'm doing better by the way, I'm almost at my former sync rate, only three points down ! The new Pilot apologized to me when he saw me in the changing room. He told me he understood that I was upset because of him, and that it had never been his intention. He also said something about human hearts being as fragile as glass or something, I can't recall. I shouldn't be mad at him, he has done nothing wrong if we think about it.

It wasn't the strangest thing that happened though. As I said, I was standing in front of Unit 02 as usual, not paying attention to anything but the four eyes before me when someone stopped right next to me. It was Vice Commander Fuyutsuki. He told me that he appreciated my dedication. I was about to tell him that I wasn't doing it to get his approbation or anyone else's when he said something so cryptic that I still think about it as I'm writing these lines. He told me to always remain hopeful... No. He told me not to lose hope. Why would he do that ? Does it mean something ? Do you think I'm over-analyzing things ? He's the closest person to the Commander, maybe he knows things that even Misato doesn't. It's probably nothing, he probably just wanted to comfort me, but it's so strange that I can't help but think about it.

Day 28 :

I finally went back to school. And I managed to get through the day. As you can imagine, the lesson was as boring as it has always been. At least I know I haven't missed much. And Hikari has given me the printouts I didn't have when she came.

It could have been a rather normal day, if people had minded their own business. Everyone kept staring at me. I didn't notice that last time, then again, I didn't notice much that day. Some of them just came to me to ask personal questions and things I didn't want to answer.

Some girls even came and tried to comfort me. I don't understand why now they're talking to me. Why couldn't they do what they always did and ignored me ? They seemed weird, I don't really know how to explain, but them being nice seemed out of place. As I said they used to ignore me, why are they trying to talk to me now ?

Day 29 :

You remember when I told you I went to see the Commander ? Well, I thought about it and I came to the conclusion that he's not the one I should be mad at for what happened.

It should be me.

He has his part of responsibility, of course, but so do I. And if I had been there for you, we could have talked to him together, maybe even with Misato. Maybe we could have convinced him that getting rid of you was a mistake.

Instead of that, I stayed away from you. I didn't try to find you because I was scared of facing you. I'm a pathetic, weak little boy.

Day 30 :

My teacher never taught me about religion, he wasn't very keen on these sorts of things. So I have never believed in any Gods or higher powers. To be perfectly honest, I hadn't even given it much thought. But now, I can understand why someone would.

It seems comforting to just be able to believe that everything happens for a reason, that it is all part of a plan... That your disappearance has a meaning.

Day 31 :

Tomorrow.

Tomorrow they will do whatever they have planned in order to save you. I would have preferred for it to be today. It would have been fitting to have you come back on your birthday.

Misato told me not to come, she told me that I wouldn't be able to keep my emotions to myself and that it would be too dangerous. She's still looking out for us, I'm glad. However, I can't help but notice that there are two meanings in what she said. Of course, I wouldn't be able to hold myself if I saw you tomorrow. I miss you so much. But on the other hand, I know she said that because she doesn't want me around in case the operation fails. Please. I'm begging you if you can somehow hear me or something. Please come back.

This will be the last entry in this journal. Hopefully I'll be able to give it to you tomorrow. Even if I can't, I don't care, as long as you are safe. And if you don't come back, I'll stop writing anyway. Because that will mean that you'll never be able to read it.

There is just one last thing that I wish to tell you however. Something I wish I had told you before, because I'm not sure I'll ever be able to now. I love you, Asuka. And I always will.

"You... Idiot ! Come here right now !" A shrill voice pierced the eardrums of every person in the Katsuragi residence, waking most of them in the process, as well as some neighbors, probably. Shinji opened the door to Asuka's room just seconds after hearing this and entered her bedroom sheepishly. He was the only one in the apartment except from her not sleeping. Pen Pen was comfortably dozing in his fridge and Misato had brought Kaji with her to her own room some hours earlier.

When he entered the room, he saw Asuka sitting on her bed, facing the door, the notebook still open in front of her. Her eyes were red, and tears were rolling down her cheeks. Shinji turned his face away, not daring to look her in the eyes. "Look at me !" Asuka spoke angrily between sobs. He turned his head and stared into her eyes. He had never seen her so vulnerable before. While studying her, he almost couldn't recognize her, it was as if all her defenses had been destroyed. "I'm crying because of you ! Again !.. I never cry ! I promised myself I wouldn't cry anymore."

"I'm sorry" Shinji was transfixed by the sight before his eyes, so he couldn't think of anything better to answer her.

"Don't you "I'm sorry" me ! You stupid idiot !" She sounded very angry, her whole body was tense. She closed her eyes and sighed loudly. "You know I can't read kanjis, right ?" She wiped her tears with the back of her hand. "But I understood the general idea..." She added before lunging at Shinji in order to wrap her arms around him. She buried her head in his neck, with tears still rolling down her cheeks and landing on his t-shirt. "... And I love you too, idiot !"

Even in this moment, he still 'I'm sorry'-s! :p
Good thought to keep a journal, Shinji. You likely couldn't have articulated all these feelings very well verbally, not yet. And this lets Asuka see them without her impatience at you disrupting things, if you were slow or stumbled in speech.

Now give him many hugs, Asuka

Last edited:
I'm gonna ignore the feels right now and express my amusement at Kaworu being introduced and Shinji straight-up not liking him. Someone's not feeling very worthy of his grace today.

That's true, but I wouldn't be surprised if Shinji honestly doesn't get a good vibe from the new Children. Part of it might be how rough the angel fights are becoming. Kaworu is like a red shirt in his book.

Back