Ten of Swords

[X] Return home to Last Boot. You are near-spent, but there is one last thing you must do. Go to Nasey, and say that you intend to fix it all; to cut fate. Tell them of your brief success at Relaxing. If they do not object, return to that Relaxed state, and from there, cut fate, leaving room for Something Special if that is even a possibility anymore.

[X] The travel time seems an excellent opportunity to further practice Relaxing in preparation for our final cut; it's possible that the state we achieved among the Great Gods earlier might not be enough to count.

[X] Return home to Last Boot. You are near-spent, but there is one last thing you must do. Go to Nasey, and say that you intend to fix it all; to cut fate. Tell them of your brief success at Relaxing. If they do not object, return to that Relaxed state, and from there, cut fate, leaving room for Something Special if that is even a possibility anymore.
There's no real point in Cutting Fate unless we immediately achieve the something special. Ten spent his last Safe cut on not getting mind-wiped, and now he 'has one more cut' but said cut will make him Relinquish desire, which the cutting of fate is supposed to prevent him from doing through indirect means.
If we've succeeded at relaxing, Cutting Fate is probably not necessary, and if we've failed, Cutting Fate is harmful; either way, we shouldn't do that.

A good point. What do you think we should do the next time we reach the state we were in earlier, then? It seemed at least to be a stable point, and I have no idea how to break through it into Something Special. Cutting from that state might be the key, and cutting fate seems like a good cut to make. An alternative would be cutting something small and mundane from there (though this still spends our final cut); of course we ought run whatever final cut we plan to make by Nasey.

-edit: as such, I am modifying my plan to have a subvote, on what the final cut will be.

[X] Return home to Last Boot. You are near-spent, but there is one last thing you must do. Go to Nasey, and say that you intend to make one final cut (and what that cut will be). Tell them of your brief success at Relaxing. If they do not object, return to that Relaxed state, and try to sink into it even further (and do so on the way there, as well). From there, if you haven't reached Something Special yet, cut, leaving room for Something Special if that is even a possibility anymore.
-[X] While Relaxed, cut fate.

Last edited:
I'd go with 'cut something trivial' over 'cut fate', since I find it plausible for the choice of a trivial cut to imply Ten must truly be relaxed regarding Cuts, while the only 'useful' effect I can think of for cutting fate is 'ten dies instantly before he can Cut again', else the cut is either irrelevant or overpowered by countless more.

[] Return home to Last Boot. You are near-spent, but there is one last thing you must do. Go to Nasey, and say that you intend to make one final cut (and what that cut will be). Tell them of your brief success at Relaxing. If they do not object, return to that Relaxed state, and try to sink into it even further (and do so on the way there, as well). From there, if you haven't reached Something Special yet, cut, leaving room for Something Special if that is even a possibility anymore.
-[] Cut a food item chosen by Nasey using a regular, mundane knife.

-edit for the best of both worlds:

[X] Return home to Last Boot. You are near-spent, but there is one last thing you must do. Go to Nasey, and say that you intend to make one final cut (and what that cut will be). Tell them of your brief success at Relaxing. If they do not object, return to that Relaxed state, and try to sink into it even further (and do so on the way there, as well). From there, if you haven't reached Something Special yet, cut, leaving room for Something Special if that is even a possibility anymore.
-[X] Cut a food item chosen by Nasey using a regular, mundane knife. Also bring up the possibility of cutting fate; if Nasey expresses any strong preference towards doing so, do that instead. Otherwise, stick to the mundane food item.

Last edited:
There's currently a tie between [X] Return home to Last Boot. You are an old, retired man. You are spent. You are done., Hastur's initial and unedited write-in, and Swedish15's write-in. Whichever of these three next receives a vote will be the winner. If there are no further votes by Saturday afternoon (~44 hours from now), one of these three will be selected at random. If the tie is broken before tomorrow afternoon (~20 hours from now), I will try and get the update out by tomorrow evening. Otherwise I will try for Saturday, though there'll a chance I miss it, in which case it might be as late as Monday before I can get to it.

[X] Return home to Last Boot. You are an old, retired man. You are spent. You are done.
-Don't do either of the write-ins.

I'm closing the vote and calling it for [X] Return home to Last Boot. You are an old, retired man. You are spent. You are done.

I should hopefully have the update out by tomorrow.

Ouch. I hope all is not lost...

Had I been quicker, I would have switched back to my unedited write-in.

It's weird though; I think @Swedish15 might have been intending to vote for my unedited plan, putting an X in front of a non-vote post of mine?

Wait, no. I should have just leveraged approval voting to vote for both. I have failed this quest. Blame me if the Tenverse comes to an end.

-edit: my main hope at this point is Nasey being proactive. (A rarity, to be sure.)

Last edited:
Another Morning
[X] Return home to Last Boot. You are an old, retired man. You are spent. You are done.

One way or another, you'll be home soon. You've recruited Friden's help arranging transportation, and are currently using her phone to call Solar's headquarters to see if you can get compensated for the trip back to Last Boot as you were initially promised while she checks for flights on her laptop. You don't entirely expect for there to be any flights, not with some of the former Trinome enterprise territories now under elemental control, but you'd really rather not miss book club later today if you don't have to.

You're still waiting for the HQ's phone system to process your priority request when Friden informs you that flights are down, as you had expected. She starts looking into train rides instead, and soon enough you're talking to a living person and not a voice machine. It still takes another hour of bureaucratic tomfoolery, as apparently everyone who was involved in contacting you earlier this week has been tapped for the wartime effort, but you are finally prompted to provide the details for your trip so that they can be processed by the enterprise. Friden is helpfully present with those very details, and it's just another couple minutes of conveying the information before your ticket home is (virtually) in your hand. It's an early train, departing just after sunrise, which leaves you with about four hours to burn.

You only really know two people in New Arch, and you'd really rather not spend any more time in Solar's sanctum than you already have, so instead you ask if you can spend some time with Friden. She obliges, and after exiting the hospital (the doctors somewhat surprised to see you up and about, but quickly giving you a bill of good health) you drive around town for a while. You're starving, so the first place the two of you stop is a RTC convenience store to pick up some food. It's not exactly the finest fare, but you've gotten lunch at Last Boot Grocery often enough to be able to stomach it. Friden offers to drive you to a bar next, but you've never enjoyed a bar atmosphere when it's just a bunch of strangers, and aren't much of a drinker either, so instead the two of you head to OCOZ, the university where she's studying. It's a bit of a drive, out of New Arch proper and into the more suburban part of the state. It's a lot darker away from the city, though that only makes sense, given it's something like 3 AM.

She takes you on a bit of an informal tour of the campus, stopping by the darkened exteriors of the student union, dormitories, north and south lab buildings, and library. Along the way, you ask if she heard that Hader and Zira are getting married later this year, which she happily confirms she heard of from Hader over the phone a couple days ago. There's technically more to explore, including the college town attached to OCOZ, but you can see that Friden's starting to flag, so you encourage her to head back to her dorm and sleep, which she goes along with. It takes you a while, but you're eventually able to find a payphone near the student union and call for a taxi back into New Arch, and the interstate train station therein. It's pretty expensive, but it's a long trip in the middle of the graveyard shift, so that makes sense.

Once you're at the station, the sky is just starting to lighten, and you have just under two hours before you depart. After checking in, you have some time to kill before boarding starts.

[] Head to the station's aisle of stores and pick up a souvenir, maybe a book to read.
[] Explore the station. It's surprisingly large, and the architecture is an interesting mix of styles.
[] Meditate, and do some stretches. You're a bit stiff from the hospital bed.
[] Do something else. What?

[X] Explore the station. It's surprisingly large, and the architecture is an interesting mix of styles.

[X] Meditate, and do some stretches. You're a bit stiff from the hospital bed.

We need all the time we can get to deepen our Relaxation. Relieving that the quest did not end then and there; there is still hope. We can use a later vote to talk to Nasey about our final cut.

[X] Explore the station. It's surprisingly large, and the architecture is an interesting mix of styles.

i have fallen down on my self-appionted task / of pursuing the PLOT

Back