Sword Art Online Discussion Thread

...What's that supposed to mean?

Because I personally don't recall Kirito wanting attention in any of the iterations of SAO we see him in, per se.
He never says it, but his default method of problem solving is to basically ham it up and draw all the attention onto himself(then gets uncomfortable at all the people looking at him).

People getting riled up against beta testers were met with the rather hammy "Mwahaha, I'm a superior class of beta tester known as the Beater". Then he runs off to solo again.
Going around with 1H sword, no shield(which was explicitly suboptimal until he learned Martial Arts to use his off hand, or later Twin Swords), wearing all black, etc, basically are stuff that makes him stand out even more.
Intervening for Silica...I'm pretty sure he had a lot more options than to just wade into the low level players and let Battle Healing just regenerate faster than they do damage.
Figuring out Kayaba's true identity, there's better times and places than shanking him right there.
Girly avatar...hams it the fuck up and play the cutie better than most of the girls.

He doesn't say it, or even think it, but he certainly acts like he likes attention, even if he doesn't know what the hell to do with handling the attention afterwards.

Kirito is a pretty showy guy.

Just look at the all-black outfit. It's certainly not some drops put together, the outfit is too colour-coordinated for that to be the case.

Kirito is a pretty showy guy.

Just look at the all-black outfit. It's certainly not some drops put together, the outfit is too colour-coordinated for that to be the case.

I believe it was mentioned somewhere that Kirito had at least one of his all black outfits tailored by the Tailor the girls see in Girls Ops.

Kirito is a 14/16 year old introvert who wears all black and imagines himself a loner while still wanting attention for himself.

He's a chuunibuyou. Mystery solved.

@CalumTraveler eeeeey nice avatar.

Hm. Kirito mentions he can't use sword skills in Ordinal Scale because he's too low-level, but wasn't that also the case in ALO pre-Aincrad patch? The guy compensated by pulling them off manually :p
Also wondering how they're blitzing across the landscape in blurs fast enough to kick up dust clouds when the game seems to be in AR, not VR.

Hm. Kirito mentions he can't use sword skills in Ordinal Scale because he's too low-level, but wasn't that also the case in ALO pre-Aincrad patch? The guy compensated by pulling them off manually :p
Also wondering how they're blitzing across the landscape in blurs fast enough to kick up dust clouds when the game seems to be in AR, not VR.

He only needed to move a virtual body in ALO. One that already had stupidly high stats.

For Ordinal Scale, Kirito has to move his real body. Turns out that his slender bod that once remained sedentary for more than two years can't quite swing a sword that fast. There's no guarantee that your muscles can do in real life what your VR avatar can do in game. Not to mention that he hasn't performed any Kendo for at least half a decade.

Is it just me, or the latest trailer for Ordinal Scale seemed... unremarkable? I'm not sold on the new characters, the little plot shown, the song and I'm certainly not amused by the supposed antagonist's comment. "Woo, not impressed by SAO heroes' skills," o_O Really? Did he thought all SAO survivors are real swordsmen IRL? Come on, that's fucking cheap. SAO is a freaking VR, not AR. Different medium, different interpretation of gaming. Kirito is a gamer first, and Asuna certainly not touching a sword before she entered SAO. Heck, SAO was her first serious game! Not that she had much of a choice, but really.

Come on Eiji, pick a better line. That was fucking petty, if I were Kirito I would have laughed at him, risked being stabbed in the face or not. Pshaw, I'm not interested in the movie unfortunately. Everything cycling back to SAO the game is not surprising, but maybe it became a bit stale?

Suguha was pretty impressed by what two years of SAO taught Kirito about swinging a sword around.
Hm, yeah, SAO was kinda famous for how in-depth it went in replicating weapon movements used IRL ingame, wasn't it? Two years of life-or-death practice and fighting would tend to teach one skills in your chosen weapon in such a scenario, although some are unlikely to work right IRL for a few reasons. Like reflex speed, or coordination in the case of duel-wielding swords.

Wasn't it said Kirito might've managed to tie or win against Suguha at kendo if he wasn't still recovering from his hospitalization and such? Despite her being a kendo champion or something?

Wasn't it said Kirito might've managed to tie or win against Suguha at kendo if he wasn't still recovering from his hospitalization and such? Despite her being a kendo champion or something?

I don't really if that's stated, but he does give her enough trouble that she decides to overwhelm him with sheer strength- not only was Kirito still recovering, Suguha is jacked.

I don't really if that's stated, but he does give her enough trouble that she decides to overwhelm him with sheer strength- not only was Kirito still recovering, Suguha is jacked.
Mm. The fact she got depicted as a busty, but otherwise normal build girl in the anime is kinda annoying imo - one would expect her to be a bit more muscular from her kendo training and tournaments. Then again, one would also expect folks to look older post-SAO, but everyone remained the same appearance-wise there too, despite Keiko experiencing the first two years of puberty during her entrapment.

Agil's the only one who really gets a pass there, of the main cast. He was already done growing :p

Mm. The fact she got depicted as a busty, but otherwise normal build girl in the anime is kinda annoying imo - one would expect her to be a bit more muscular from her kendo training and tournaments. Then again, one would also expect folks to look older post-SAO, but everyone remained the same appearance-wise there too, despite Keiko experiencing the first two years of puberty during her entrapment.
I've heard a claim somewhere that the artist for the novels flat-out refused to draw Suguha with a distinctly muscular build, and basically insisted until the authour folded. I admit, I don't recall where I heard it from, so I can't go back and try to confirm or deny the statement.

It's more like Kawahara didn't really mind. He originally drew Suguha flat chested, but his editor made the suggestion that her cup size be increased. It didn't really bother him either way, so he just went with his editor's suggestion. However even though she's described in the text as being heavier than she looks, even in Kawahara's original drawings she's kind of skinny. I don't really think it's the case that abec would refuse to draw her with muscles if he was asked to do so. That would be a pretty outrageous thing for a contracted artist to do.

That said, in the anime she comes off as a big girl. She's drawn as being almost the same height as Kirito in the real world.

That said, in the anime she comes off as a big girl. She's drawn as being almost the same height as Kirito in the real world.
Huh. That's, what, an extra 20 cm or so from the average female height of 160 cm? Although Japanese are shorter than Oz folk in general, so male average of 180 cm might be 170 over there.

Huh. That's, what, an extra 20 cm or so from the average female height of 160 cm? Although Japanese are shorter than Oz folk in general, so male average of 180 cm might be 170 over there.
Huh. I could have sworn that Kirito was generally shows to be pretty short, as most other prominent male characters (Klein, Agil, Heathcliff, Kuradeel, the Ministry spokesman/agent, the second arc antagonist) seem to tower over him. But I may be misremembering things.

Huh. I could have sworn that Kirito was generally shows to be pretty short, as most other prominent male characters (Klein, Agil, Heathcliff, Kuradeel, the Ministry spokesman/agent, the second arc antagonist) seem to tower over him. But I may be misremembering things.

Kirito is 172cm tall, which is literally the average male height in Japan. Most other male characters in the series are noticeably taller than him, while both Asuna and Suguha are quite tall for young Japanese women. He just generally knows a lot of tall people, I guess.

Is that the average for his age bracket, or for Japanese people in general? There has historically been a trend towards younger people being taller than older generations (though its likely peaked by this point).

Is that the average for his age bracket, or for Japanese people in general? There has historically been a trend towards younger people being taller than older generations (though its likely peaked by this point).
IIRC Japanese folk in general are shorter than the Oz average of 180 cm, and I believe other countries are taller still. They might just be a short people in general?

Getting that kind of detailed demographic information is a little difficult lol

The takeaway is that Kirito is not unusually tall or short.

Back