SV Plays Infina-Chess

[X]Q1
-[X]B1

[X]Tile
-[X]∆-E4
-[X]Bishop -E4

Puts the black king in check nicely if I made the vote right. Forces W1 at -D2 to block I think.

Last edited:
[X]Tile
-[X]∆-E4
-[X]Bishop -E4
Alas, tiles can only be placed where your pieces can reach, and no piece can reach -E4 or its whereabouts.

I wanted to take control of -D5/D-3 and -E4/B3 diagonals for a while, but gave up on it as I couldn't see a way to do it.

[x] Piece
-[x] wF1| -C-2 > -B-1

[x] Tile
-[x] ∆-F-3
-[x] =wP12 -F-2; =wP13 -F-3

If my move is allowed I can see no way for the blacks to prevent wQ1xbP3 / ∆ B-7 / =R A-6, which should be a checkmate. I've been wrong before though, I am learning this game as I play.

Last edited:
Can we even do that? Also why a rook there, to support bishop side?
...it's checkmate once the Black King retreats to A1 after the current move, the only available move for the King.
Edit: not the only one, apparently, but it limits their options drastically.

The Rook is placed to make a double-check with the Queen at A3 (which is the next move), forcing the King to flee... except there is nowhere to flee after this turn.

I could be wrong, but I can find no faults.

We can do that, because Bishop1 reaches A-6, which allows us to place 4 tiles with the upper-rightmost being B-7, and we have enough points for a Rook.

Is the wF1 a sacrifice? It isn't protected there I think.
wP4 is there, and the bG1 is downwards, so the pawn covers it, as per the earlier clarification:
A pawn can attack diagonally as long as one orthogonal directions bring it closer to the guard.
Unless I am mistaking it for something it isn't.

Last edited:
Yes this is a valid move, the king is not however quiet put into check rather it becomes illegal for the king to remain in that position if they move any piece that can attack the king in that position. So they can't move the Wazir, Rook, Queen, or Guard.

The fool is not threatened by the king as the fool is protected by the pawn.

Yes this is a valid move, the king is not however quiet put into check rather it becomes illegal for the king to remain in that position if they move any piece that can attack the king in that position. So they can't move the Wazir, Rook, Queen, or Guard.
Ah, I see. It's no good then, as the blacks could move a Bishop and put white King in check, invalidating the threat from the Fool.

Ok, back to the drawing board.

Nah, I leave it in. It's a solid move, I think. Gets a little complex, but I think there is still a checkmate in sight.

Last edited:
[x] Piece
-[x] wF1| -C-2 > -B-1

[x] Tile
-[x] ∆-F-3
-[x] =wP12 -F-2; =wP13 -F-3

If the fool is covered then ok. Is there a reason that ∆-F-4 is bad? It doesn't matter much but seems more efficient break up the board geometry then to have a line of pawns.

No particular one, no. =wP13 -F-3 is the important part, and the rest doesn't matter. I am of a mixed opinion on gaps. On one hand, they ward off your King from attack, but on another they box you in and hinder your mobility. A pawn could be moved.

Not that anyone has time for this.

I do not expect it to be relevant as I suspect the rest of the turns will take place on the other side of the board. Sure, we could save up a point, but at the rate we are going we are collecting more points that we can use up anyway. I don't even have a moment to promote a second Queen for free!

Last edited:
Turn 11

RECORD

W1
wP3|-A-3>B-3​
∆A-5​
=wP4 -A-4​
B1
bP1|C1>C-1​
∆E2​
W2
wP2|-B-2>A-2​
∆-B-5​
=wB1 -B-4​
B2
bG1|B3>C4​
∆C4​
=bN1 B4​
W3
wP4| -A-4>-A-2​
∆C-5​
=wP5 C-4​
B3
bN1|B4>-A3​
∆-A4​
W4
wP2|A-2>A-1​
∆-C-7​
=wB2 -C-6​
B4
bP2|B2>-B1​
∆-C4​
=bB1 -D4​
W5
wP2| A-1xB1​
∆G3​
=wP6 F3​
=wP7 G2​
B5
bF1| C2xB1​
∆E-5​
W6
wP6| F3>D3​
wP6+wQ1 (+)​
∆E4​
=wP8 E4​
=wP9 D5​
B6
bK| C3>B2​
∆G-6​
=R1 G-5​
W7
wP9| D5->B5​
wP9+wQ1 (+)​
B7
bK| B2>A1​
∆-D-5​
=B2 -E-5 (+)​
W8
wK| -C-3>-D-2​
∆-D-2​
=G -E-2​
B8
bG| C4xB5​
∆-D2​
=W1 -D2​
W9
wP1| -C-1>-A-1 (+)​
∆-F-1​
=wP10 -F-1​
=wP11 -F1​
B9
bK| A1x-A-1​
∆G-4​
=bQ1 F-4​
W10
wF1| -C-2>-A-1​
∆-F-3​
=wP12 -F-2​
=wP13 -F-3​
B10
bN1| -A3>-C2​
∆F-2​
=bN2 E-1​

The fool has moved the knight responds the great game moves forward but no threat exists at this time. The quasi check disables numerous attacks black could bring to bear.

Turn 11- SV is White
W 7
B 3

Fools moves like Knight

[]Piece
-[]New Location

[]Tile
-[]Location
-[]New Pieces

Turn 11- SV is White
W 7
B 3
Shouldn't it be B 4? It was B 4 last turn, and you spent exactly 3 points on a Knight while getting 3 points for the Guards.
The fool has moved the knight responds the great game moves forward but no threat exists at this time.
Ok.

[x] Piece
-[x] wB1| -B-4 > A-2 X

[x] Tile
-[x] ∆F6 // possible through the move of wP8 or wP7
-[x] =wB3 F6 X

...I think that's checkmate. No?

The one branch I saw that didn't lead to an immediate checkmate for blacks was moving the Knight to B2, and then trying to threaten the white King by placing a Bishop at C-6 or something.

Last edited:
Shouldn't it be B 4? It was B 4 last turn, and you spent exactly 3 points on a Knight while getting 3 points for the Guards.

White has 2 points a turn.

...I think that's checkmate. No?

The one branch I saw that didn't lead to an immediate checkmate was moving the Knight to B2, and then trying to threaten the king by placing Bishop at C-6 or something.
Remember the fool looses the knight move after you move so it doesn't threaten.

Remember the fool looses the knight move after you move so it doesn't threaten.
I don't get it.

The two Bishops make a double-check, forcing the King to move because there is no other response to a double-check.
Since the King has to move, it makes the Fool act and threaten as King, and cover the indicated tiles. Meaning the King can't move into those tiles.
Meaning the King has nowhere to go.

The one that blocks the King from moving to A1 is wB F6, not a Fool/Knight.

Last edited:
Can't pass up a Check mate.

[x] Piece
-[x] wB1| -B-4 > A-2 X

[x] Tile
-[x] ∆F6 // possible through the move of wP8 or wP7
-[x] =wB3 F6 X

This also works I think.

[] Piece
-[] g1| -B-3> -B-2 X

[] Tile
-[]-∆ B-7
-[] wR A-6

∆F6 // possible through the move of wP8
wP8 can move 2 spaces because it has never been moved before, but it does overshoot the black guard line doing so may be an overlooked ruling for that.

This also works I think.
Sadly no. bB2 x wG1 evades the checkmate.

Needs to be a threat blacks can't remove or block. Double checks work best, you can use your Guard move in conjunction with my tile and piece placement.

Overshooting is allowed, though I am on phone and can't quote directly. I clarified that around Turn 6.
Edit:
Edit: and a follow-up question. Can a pawn move behind the Guard? I.e. can a pawn that didn't move before make a double move and overshoot past the Guard? Would large "X" be a valid move if [wP] never moved before?

_X_| _o_
------------
_x_| bG
------------
wP |_x_
Chess uses Taxicab distance normally so yes on the moving to position.

As for double move pass also yes.

Last edited:
Turn 12 (CHECK MATE WHITE TO BLACK)

RECORD

W1
wP3|-A-3>B-3​
∆A-5​
=wP4 -A-4​
B1
bP1|C1>C-1​
∆E2​
W2
wP2|-B-2>A-2​
∆-B-5​
=wB1 -B-4​
B2
bG1|B3>C4​
∆C4​
=bN1 B4​
W3
wP4| -A-4>-A-2​
∆C-5​
=wP5 C-4​
B3
bN1|B4>-A3​
∆-A4​
W4
wP2|A-2>A-1​
∆-C-7​
=wB2 -C-6​
B4
bP2|B2>-B1​
∆-C4​
=bB1 -D4​
W5
wP2| A-1xB1​
∆G3​
=wP6 F3​
=wP7 G2​
B5
bF1| C2xB1​
∆E-5​
W6
wP6| F3>D3​
wP6+wQ1 (+)​
∆E4​
=wP8 E4​
=wP9 D5​
B6
bK| C3>B2​
∆G-6​
=R1 G-5​
W7
wP9| D5->B5​
wP9+wQ1 (+)​
B7
bK| B2>A1​
∆-D-5​
=B2 -E-5 (+)​
W8
wK| -C-3>-D-2​
∆-D-2​
=G -E-2​
B8
bG| C4xB5​
∆-D2​
=W1 -D2​
W9
wP1| -C-1>-A-1 (+)​
∆-F-1​
=wP10 -F-1​
=wP11 -F1​
B9
bK| A1x-A-1​
∆G-4​
=bQ1 F-4​
W10
wF1| -C-2>-A-1​
∆-F-3​
=wP12 -F-2​
=wP13 -F-3​
B10
bN1| -A3>-C2​
∆F-2​
=bN2 E-1​
W10
wB1| -B-4 > A-2 (X)​
∆F6​
=wB3 F6 (X)​

The king moved too close and one can not retreat from check, leaving him to hit from all sides with no hope of escape. SV has won the game. Check Mate.

Thanks for playing.

I was wondering - were you the one who played the game, or were you just the arbiter?

Was the game something that existed, or something that you came up with? I haven't heard about this variant before, but there is a lot of them floating around.

Some observations.
- The game puts massive emphasis on tactical positioning. You won't be moving most pieces once you place them, make it count.
- Checks are important, double checks are crucial. They make the opponent skip their moving turn, only acting on their "placement turn". You can sacrifice pieces so long as you can keep their King in check -- you have more pieces than you'll ever need anyway.
- Pawns are OP. They move in up to 3 directions; attack in up to 3 different directions; can be placed in bulk; and their double move allows them to continuously expand the board. It's not a coincidence I had 13 of them. I think they could use a nerf.
- Bishops are OP. Only 3 points to spawn a piece that can strike across the entire board, affecting piece placement in the enemy rear. Bishops were more instrumental to the victory than Queens. The value of a Bishop seems significantly greater than that of a Knight.
- Wazirs and Ferzs are... strange. I'd call them situational to the point of being unusable. One can checkmate a King with two Knights, or two Bishops, but how many Wazirs would you need on a regular, non-expanding board? They exist to wage warfare across gaps, but their movements are very limited, and their threat range non-existent. I'd say they'd be mildly useful priced at 2 points, and being able to attack into the same tiles they are able to move. The one Wazir this game was a Check threat, but never had the time to act on it and was only relevant because I made a mistake placing tiles around my King. Most such pieces would never have a chance to spawn close to the King to be threatening.
- Fools are a cool piece with great yet hard to predict potential. Love 'em!

Overall, this was pretty great. Do you have plans for more games? I probably won't be playing, but I'd like to observe and compare observations.

Last edited:
Thanks for playing.

I was wondering - were you the one who played the game, or were you just the arbiter?

Was the game something that existed, or something that you came up with? I haven't heard about this variant before, but there is a lot of them floating around.

Some observations.
- The game puts massive emphasis on tactical positioning. You won't be moving most pieces once you place them, make it count.
- Checks are important, double checks are crucial. They make the opponent skip their moving turn, only acting on their "placement turn". You can sacrifice pieces so long as you can keep them in check -- you have more pieces than you'll ever need anyway.
- Pawns are OP. They move in up to 3 directions; attack in up to 3 different directions; can be placed in bulk; and their double move allows them to continuously expand the board. It's not coincidence I had 13 of them. I think they could use a nerf.
- Bishops are OP. Only 3 points to spawn a piece that can strike across the entire board, affecting piece placement in the enemy rear. Bishops were more instrumental to the victory than Queens. The value of a Bishop seems significantly greater than that of a Knight.
- Wazirs and Ferzs are... strange. I'd call them situational to the point of being unusable. One can checkmate a King with two Knights, or two Bishops, but how many Wazirs would you need on a regular, non-expanding board? They exist to wage warfare across gaps, but their movements are very limited, and their threat range non-existent. I'd say they'd be mildly useful priced at 2 points, and being able to attack into the same tiles they are able to move. The one Wazir this game was a Check threat, but never had the time to act on it and was only relevant because I made a mistake placing tiles around my King. Most such pieces would never have a chance to spawn close to the King to be threatening.
- Fools are a cool piece with great yet hard to predict potential. Love 'em!

Overall, this was pretty great. Do you have plans for more games? I probably won't be playing, but I'd like to observe and compare observations.

I was the one that played mostly a thing I made and wanted to do some playtesting. I am sure something similar exists. Puzzle chess is the only one to come to mine using a similar tile piece system but that's all set up before the game.

Bishop's are going to be popped up to Room cost and pawns I will have to figure out a balance for them. Wazir and Frez are going to get a little change in that after a void jump they can capture, allowing them to capture across gaps like knights. Of course it's still not always useful to have them.

Possibly limit pawns number but I am unsure about that. Maybe make it so spawning pawns generate points for the other side.

Glad you liked it and thanks for your feedback.

Back