Star Wars: Rule of Two (Sith Quest)

[X] Nothing, yet. Train him as you would a Jedi. He is your Padawan under the Jedi, but that does not mean he must be your Apprentice in the ways of the Sith.
[X] The Dark Order.

Last edited:
[X] Nothing, yet. Train him as you would a Jedi. He is your Padawan under the Jedi, but that does not mean he must be your Apprentice in the ways of the Sith.
[x] The Heart of the Force.

[X] The Heart of the Force.

On using sides of the Force: according to the old universe rules, Force-using is a drug, period. Kreia demonstrated it best on the corruption of both Jedi and the Sith. Force-using requires specific concentration of emotional/emotionless state over your body, which then manifests in cool powers. Of course, if you can use the powers to benefit you at all times, why not do just that? And, obviously, if the power you want is shocking losers with magical lightning, aggressive emotions would be the best ones to let it manifest (I mean, can you imagine electrocuting a person while feeding on your genuine happiness? Actually, maybe Sheev could pull it off...)

And now, imagine a person that's angry all the time, because they want to be able to shoot fools with lightning all the time.

Ever heard about frowning giving you wrinkles? Welcome to the world of the Sith.

Well then I think you're going to have to explain force mechanics, as in canon there was zero mention of "lightside".
If by canon you mean the current Disneyverse, there are mentions of Light Side now.

In the G-Canon, the mentions were behind the scenes, as George revokes how the Force works and what it means a few times. His latest view was not the previous "cancer Sith" one, but the Taoist symbolism, depicted in those weird Mortis episodes of TCW.

Like how derpy is training someone in listening to the force if they stay around us all day. I wouldn't be so worried, except, we, uh, already started flubbing that one. Of course after our rolls elsewhere, it was to be expected that we'd crit fail at something
Well I picked it because it seems like the most likely course of training to teach him some patience. And because it will hopefully instill in him those characteristics that are looked upon so favourably by the Jedi.

If we turn a Padawan who's at risk of falling to the dark side, into an introspective and humble Jedi it will only further cast us in a favourable light.

I don't think we're at too much of a risk in teaching him this, he's probably never going to be able to pierce through our Buried Presence. And honestly, by teaching him this, we'll look even more like a Jedi in his eyes.

Last edited:
[X] The Force lives. The Force flows and moves. The Force ebbs and beats in all things. And if one listens, the Force guides.

Oh, regarding the choices:

[X] To know is to understand. To understand is to control. To control is to rule. And to rule is to be Sith. Knowledge, it is often said, is Power. And through Power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken.

Good one, I think. Control is what's needed the most for both Sith and Jedi, else they become out-of-touch robots, while we get premature wrinkles and rotting teeth.

[X] Where a burning blade or a crushing fist fail, often a sly whisper and knowing grin succeed. Men are simple things, often twisted by mere words and appearances. If they love you, they will never question you. Where even the greatest lie falters, a friendly smile will carry the day.

While our own deception is low, this can be twisted as an advice for Jedi training, actually. Be a cunning diplomat, not a burning blademaster, and all that.

I don't like "The Force lives" option, because:

a) Fuck the Force, she ain't my master, Kreiaism all the way.

b) Whoever listens carefully to the Force, finds out that we are the big bad Sith too soon.

Have our padawan progress to the Dark Side naturally, simply by encouraging free thought and emotional freedom, despite the general outlines of the Order. We've chosen the most ambitious guy for a reason. Something like a situation where our padawan fucks up and the Council orders us to discipline him could help us greatly, as by refusing to do that in private and encouraging him, we can show that the rules can be broken and build a personal allegiance, rather than an Order-based one.

On the Quests:

[X] The Dark Order.

This one allows us to infiltrate a Dark Jedi organization, potentially turn them into Sith Acolytes (not to be confused with our Apprentice - the Shadow Hand), or, alternatively, sweep them under the bus and report to the Jedi Order that the last remnants of the Sith have been hunted down. Finally, in the worst case, if we end up found out as a darksider, we can pretend that it was the infiltration of the Dark Order that led to us turning to the Dark Side, rather than a much darker truth, protecting the Banite sect secrets.

Last edited:
[X] To know is to understand. To understand is to control. To control is to rule. And to rule is to be Sith. Knowledge, it is often said, is Power. And through Power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken.

[X] Where a burning blade or a crushing fist fail, often a sly whisper and knowing grin succeed. Men are simple things, often twisted by mere words and appearances. If they love you, they will never question you. Where even the greatest lie falters, a friendly smile will carry the day.

[X] The Dark Order.

Convinced.

Like how derpy is training someone in listening to the force if they stay around us all day. I wouldn't be so worried, except, we, uh, already started flubbing that one. Of course after our rolls elsewhere, it was to be expected that we'd crit fail at something

The thing is it's both entirely legit...and he's already receptive to the Dark Side to some extent. Listening to the Dark Side does our work for us.

[X] The Force lives. The Force flows and moves. The Force ebbs and beats in all things. And if one listens, the Force guides.

I'll go with these as they improve our padawan in a fashion that is just in general useful to us with the improvement to his knowledge, and improving his intuition helps with his connection with the force. There is also a benefit as the Dark Path trait improves our intuition and knowledge rolls, so we should see a better benefit taking these options.

For the chance of discovery by our padawan, it's neglible at best. A padawan is not going to have a greater ability to perceive us than a Jedi master, and even with our poor deception score the stat itself accounts for the minimum necessary to maintain our cover.

For Heart of the Force, I'm going with it as it's the most interesting and because of the mention of force lineages which would be an interesting avenue to pursue for the Sith particularly if it can be combined with some of the genetic engineering/enhancement in the setting and Sith alchemy.

All questlines look good so ill be grey on it.

Vote closes in two hours, give or take. From a casual scan, Heart of the Force has an overwhelming lead on the other questline options, though the training choices are too varied to tell without a tally.

[x] To know is to understand. To understand is to control. To control is to rule. And to rule is to be Sith. Knowledge, it is often said, is Power. And through Power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken.
[x] Nothing, yet. Train him as you would a Jedi. He is your Padawan under the Jedi, but that does not mean he must be your Apprentice in the ways of the Sith.

Further the corruption by exploiting his flaw.

[x] The Mandalorian Crisis

A shame this isn't going to win, but we stand to gain a powerful ally, had we usurp Mandalore under our command. Nice Mission Accomplished under our belt, too.

Sneaky Sith be Sneaky

Edit: So... can we just say 'fuck the rule of two bullshit' at some point? I mean, for a guy who otherwise had it mostly-together, Bane was a complete idiot for thinking that a single master/apprentice could succeed where entire empires of sith failed...

...either that, or he was following the 'will of the force' which is an awesome joke given the sith philosophy.

Last edited:
Edit: So... can we just say 'fuck the rule of two bullshit' at some point? I mean, for a guy who otherwise had it mostly-together, Bane was a complete idiot for thinking that a single master/apprentice could succeed where entire empires of sith failed...
Not many good alternatives. He thought that more than one lesser Sith would inevitably conspire against the greater and thereby weaken the Sith in total.
And Sith-history shows he wasn't completly wrong.

It's not like the Rule of Two forbids having force-powered minions.
Just real apprentices should be limited to one so they can't kill us before they are better than we are.

...either that, or he was following the 'will of the force' which is an awesome joke given the sith philosophy.

I would remind you that the Rule of Two succeeded where these Empires could not. Darth Sidious, the grand culmination of Bane's Order, exterminated the Jedi Order, destroyed the Old Republic that had stood for a hundred thousand years, established a Sith Empire that stretched from the Deep Core to the Outer Rim, and became the most powerful Sith Lord to ever walk the galaxy.

No matter your opinions on the matter, the Rule of Two was quite demonstrably rather more successful than any Sith Empire in recorded history, eclipsing even those of Vitiate and Revan.

But I digress.

VOTE CLOSED.

The Heart of the Force, as well as 'the Force lives' and 'Train him as a Jedi', have come out on top.

Expect the update shortly.

Not many good alternatives. He thought that more than one lesser Sith would inevitably conspire against the greater and thereby weaken the Sith in total.
And Sith-history shows he wasn't completly wrong.

It's not like the Rule of Two forbids having force-powered minions.
Just real apprentices should be limited to one so they can't kill us before they are better than we are.
Fair enough, though the fact that he thought-bombed the rest of the sith in order to institute it rubs me the wrong way in terms of strategy.
I would remind you that the Rule of Two succeeded where these Empires could not. Darth Sidious, the grand culmination of Bane's Order, exterminated the Jedi Order, destroyed the Old Republic that had stood for a hundred thousand years, established a Sith Empire that stretched from the Deep Core to the Outer Rim, and became the most powerful Sith Lord to ever walk the galaxy.

No matter your opinions on the matter, the Rule of Two was quite demonstrably rather more successful than any Sith Empire in recorded history, eclipsing even those of Vitiate and Revan.
Not to argue with the GM, but... I've always read the success of the Rule of Two and the fulfillment of the Balance Prophecy/Chosen One as being very much a matter of Fate/Will of the Force.

I'm pretty sure that given the force's active roll in the shaping of history, you could argue that whatever path the sith and jedi took 'balance' would still be achieved. The Rule of Two probably didn't play a deciding role in anything.

Tactically and strategically, having what amounts to a single point of failure is a really dumb idea. If, for instance, a master/apprentice fight happened on a starship and the vessel was destroyed/damaged (pretty easy with lightsabers involved) the chain would be utterly broken.

Quite frankly, it's a complete miracle the sith actually accomplished their goal.

A miracle in the force/religious-sense.

Fair enough, though the fact that he thought-bombed the rest of the sith in order to institute it rubs me the wrong way in terms of strategy.

Not to argue with the GM, but... I've always read the success of the Rule of Two and the fulfillment of the Balance Prophecy/Chosen One as being very much a matter of Fate/Will of the Force.

I'm pretty sure that given the force's active roll in the shaping of history, you could argue that whatever path the sith and jedi took 'balance' would still be achieved. The Rule of Two probably didn't play a deciding role in anything.

Tactically and strategically, having what amounts to a single point of failure is a really dumb idea. If, for instance, a master/apprentice fight happened on a starship and the vessel was destroyed/damaged (pretty easy with lightsabers involved) the chain would be utterly broken.

Quite frankly, it's a complete miracle the sith actually accomplished their goal.

A miracle in the force/religious-sense.

It could be argued that that was the intention of the Force all along. The Sith who glimpsed the future saw things as playing out their way all along, but the Force was simply guiding them towards the option that provided balance--neither the stagnancy of the Jedi or the chaos of the Sith.

Sure, there was a 40-year reign of terror in the middle for a bit there, but can't make a Balance Omelet without breaking a few Alderaans, I always say.

Interlude: The Heart of the Force I
787 BBY

The Republic cruiser
Endeavour, the Outer Rim, the Ziost System

You stare at the barren rock below as it revolves slowly on it's axis. Dead, rotted forests give way to plains of barren ice and ashy rock. There is no life here. There is nothing here, not even the Force. This is Ziost, long lost and forgotten to the galaxy, and it is here you have come to uncover the secrets of the Jedi.

Almost seventy years ago, the Jedi released their great Enclaves to the stars. They were to travel the galaxy, keeping the peace where they went and rearing a new generation of Jedi Knights beyond the walls of the Temple and the Academies. It was the most ambitious project of the Order since the fall of the Sith, and it cost the Senate a small fortune. To bless the project, the Grandmaster himself, Morran Shan, volunteered to personally head one of the Enclave ships, the portentously-named 'Heart of the Force'. The ships set off from Coruscant with much fanfare and melodrama as the holonets blared of a new, triumphant age for the protectors of the galaxy.

That was the last confirmed sighting of the Heart of the Force--or anyone aboard it--for sixty-three years.

Now, it has been found once more, in this dead system. The Jedi, you know, fear this world, not only because they cannot sense it now, but because of what was here long ago. In the days of the Old Republic, Ziost was one of the greatest of the Sith Worlds--the planets that formed the living core of the Old Sith Empire that once threatened to decimate the Jedi and the Republic alike. In days gone by, it was called the 'Gateway to the Empire', and the Sith held it as a holy world, on par with Korriban and the tombs of the Dark Lords.

It is no coincidence that the distress beacon of the long-lost Heart of the Force has been found originating from the surface of this world--a surface, that by impossible chance, is affected by powerful gravitational fluctuations that make getting accurate sensor readings nigh-impossible.

You heave learned that when the Force is involved, there is no such thing as chance, and that as Sith, there is no such thing as coincidence. You made several preparations before beginning this trip, one of which was looking into the records of the Sith for possible clues. The problem was, the Sith Lord preceding your master had distrusted his apprentice--and with good reason, as your master had killed him in his sleep and stolen much of his research. He had hidden or destroyed much of the histories from before his time out of spite, however, and what little remained was fragmented and disjointed. You could piece it together, but the work required meant you could only follow one of the trails to completion:

[] The interesting tidbit that the Dark Lord a generation removed from you, one Darth Accilis, had apparently planned to interfere with the Enclave project, and had had a substantial information network involved with all levels of the project, apparently hoping to strangle the next generation of Jedi in the cradle. Perhaps the Heart's disappearance could be attributed to him?

[] A piece of information regarding the fact that Accilis' own master, a far more shadowy figure known as Darth Movran, had come into conflict with the Jedi Order multiple times under the guise of a renegade Dark Jedi, and apparently had a personal rivalry with Morran Shan in the years before his disappearance.

[] Sith records held hat for generations, dating back even before Bane and the Rule of Two, Sith Lords had investigated and researched Ziost, the long-forgotten world that had once sat at the core of the Old Empire. You compiled their research and looked it over in the weeks before the expedition set out.

[] There are tales several generations of Sith Lords back of some sort of concerted effort to establish a working outpost, perhaps even a permanent base for the Order on Ziost. They end sharply with the ascension of a Darth Ombrus, who immediately ended all efforts on Ziost and marked it as a failure with little to no explanation. There is more here, and you will find it.

[] A different, yet equally important matter draws your attention. Darth Abbahon's notes refer here and there to some sort of 'split' in the Sith several decades before his ascension. Several Sith have broken the Rule of Two over the last few centuries, with expected results--their multiple apprentices have fought one another, with the victor being his true successor and inheritor of the title. Abbahon, however, makes no references to killing a pretender, a fact his legendary ego would never allow to be lost to the ages. You must find out more.

There was more to your preparations, however. The Council assigned you to work alongside another--your old friend and mentor, the Jedi Master and hero Rhyelen Ordes. The man who trained you to the rank of Knight, he is both famous and infamous for having once hunted down and exterminated a Dark Jedi cult led by his own fallen master, all while still a Padawan. Though he lost his arm in the process, he proved himself a hero to the Order and the Council, and was subsequently made a Knight and assigned what was to be the first in a long line of powerful padawans--one that included yourself. He has been a Jedi Master for longer than you have been alive, and is perhaps the person in the galaxy who knows you best.

"I knew Morran Shan."

The voice from behind you is soft, yet set with the iron tone of one who has been a Jedi for nearly two lifetimes.

Rhyelen Ordes emerges from the living quarters of the ship and takes a place next to you on the deck, his azure eyes scanning the barren world below. His face has aged even more since you saw him last, seven years ago.

"If you could have seen him...sensed him. You have met the Master Yoda? They say he will be legendary one day. Morran Shan was legendary in his own lifetime. He was wise, powerful, just. A good man."

"A good Jedi. The greatest."

"I wish I could have met him", you say softly, your voice the perfect mix of sadness and awe. "Too often, the great are lost to us too soon...Master." You take care to add the perfect twist of familiarity into the last word, and it is not difficult--a part of you still respects the man who trained you.

Who abandoned you. Hate roars up, and the Dark Side threatens to roll over the masquerade like a dam. After a long moment, however, you choke down the rage like bile in your throat.

[Rolled 1d20+8 for "Crocodile Tears", Major Success (17)]
[Rolled 1d100 for "Fury", Minor Success (74)]

Rhyelen looks over to you, his lined face passive. After a long moment, the corners of his mouth twist into a small half-smile.

"I must admit. I had my doubts, Lurina. You had returned from such an ordeal, and I must confess I was uncertain as to whether or not you would be ready for another assignment so quickly. There was a moment during your cross-examination by the Council when..."

His face clouds for a moment, but he shakes it off.

"I was mistaken. You are the same girl--no, the same woman I trained all those years ago. You are a Jedi Knight, and I am proud to say I taught you all I know."

"In fact, that is what I came here to speak of," he continues. "My apprentice, Malden. A smart boy, and skilled. But he is difficult. There is darkness in him. A nasty situation on Valerra, apparently--his entire family killed before his eyes. I have tried my best to heal him, but some wounds run too deep, and I am growing old."

"You, however..."

You understand what he is asking almost instantly. It is not uncommon for Masters to 'trade' Padawans for a mission or expedition, to allow for a mix of teaching styles, and allowing for breakthroughs with particularly difficult students, not to mention allowing for important relationships to develop early on in a Jedi's career.

Of course, there is the little matter of the fact that, while you have still kept towards the Jedi way, you have also trained Wularan in a few 'unorthodox' methods, to say the least. You have urged his obsessions and flaws rather than quashed them, and extensive time spent under another's tutelage might reveal your methods, which might put you under scrutiny. Of course, risks aside, Malden Tamalak is strong the Force, stronger so than Wularan, and every dark seed planted is a Jedi who might fall. And Jedi fall so beautifully.

You open your mouth:

[] "I will take him on, but only for a short amount of time."

[] "I will train him alongside my own apprentice."

[] "I am afraid that is not possible now, Master."

[] "No."

[] "Why don't you take them both on? In some cases, cooperation works just as well as a change in tutelage."

[] "It would be my honor, Master."

[] Write-In

Last edited:
[X] A different, yet equally important matter draws your attention. Darth Abbahon's notes refer here and there to some sort of 'split' in the Sith several decades before his ascension. Several Sith have broken the Rule of Two over the last few centuries, with expected results--their multiple apprentices have fought one another, with the victor being his true successor and inheritor of the title. Abbahon, however, makes no references to killing a pretender, a fact his legendary ego would never allow to be lost to the ages. You must find out more.

If there are more Sith pretenders running around, that is something we need to find out ASAP.

Not sure what to do about the Padawan. Training someone else's Padawan seems like an even bigger risk than training our own. Ideally, at this point, I'd like to find someone outside the Order to keep as an apprentice, but there's no guarantee a suitable candidate would show up any time soon...

Back