Should We Prohibit "Edit: Ninja'ed by ______"?

Something something, excerpt from Rule 0:
Rule 0: The Mission Comes First

The Rules are not a suicide pact; we are building a community, not Kafka's Online Parlour.
Like, really, this is an online forum, not fucking parliament. "Quality posting" in this context means that you have any coherent contribution that doesn't fall afoul of any rules regarding conduct, derailing, OP's thread rules/privilege, etc. It's not even about effort because, to be completely blunt, putting zero effort into your posts is not against the rules, because people very rarely put any effort into what they say in any non-formal context. So banning a turn of phrase doesn't actually encourage any quality posting, and really just reeks of totally unwarranted elitism.

Also, something else that nobody seems to have brought up: namely, the MORE TIME you spend on a post, the more likely you are to have not refreshed and have missed another post that says the same thing. So if anything, high effort posts are more likely to be "ninja'd", which means this sort of rule is, on a statistical level, more likely to result in high effort posts being infracted, which is just totally asinine.

"effort posts are more often infracted than low efforts shitposts/drive-bys" is not a very smart thing.

I mean, I was just making a joke.

However, TBH, I think there's a much healthier medium between the two. Particularly with contentious topics, I sometimes feel that people can get a little out of hand writing massive essays about topics without the conversational feedback you get with face-to-face interaction.

Something something, excerpt from Rule 0:

Like, really, this is an online forum, not fucking parliament. "Quality posting" in this context means that you have any coherent contribution that doesn't fall afoul of any rules regarding conduct, derailing, OP's thread rules/privilege, etc. It's not even about effort because, to be completely blunt, putting zero effort into your posts is not against the rules, because people very rarely put any effort into what they say in any non-formal context. So banning a turn of phrase doesn't actually encourage any quality posting, and really just reeks of totally unwarranted elitism.

Also, something else that nobody seems to have brought up: namely, the MORE TIME you spend on a post, the more likely you are to have not refreshed and have missed another post that says the same thing. So if anything, high effort posts are more likely to be "ninja'd", which means this sort of rule is, on a statistical level, more likely to result in high effort posts being infracted, which is just totally asinine.
It sounds like we agree that high quality posts are likely to come later than low quality posts, but disagree on:
  1. What effects, if any, the "edit: ninja'ed" meme has on posting habits in and of itself.
  2. How much of a pain in the butt it is to refrain from editing that into your post.

It sounds like we agree that high quality posts are likely to come later than low quality posts, but disagree on:
  1. What effects, if any, the "edit: ninja'ed" meme has on posting habits in and of itself.
  2. How much of a pain in the butt it is to refrain from editing that into your post.
I get 'ninja'd' so to speak fairly often. And I feel no need to say that I am not mindlessly repeating what the person who posted before me said, unless I want to respond to a specific point they made.

Back