11.ii

11.ii

My Dear General Marcisław Kliatbatrn,

Your concern and loyalty is commended but in this matter unneeded.

Count György Thurzó is yet a fool who thinks himself wise and that all around him are blind, deaf and simple.

Fear not for his panic and prattle. I have the matter of the Shining Wyrm well in hand.

Mathias is too distant, too slow and far too late to have any consequence in this matter.

On your return we will have the wayward daughter found and taken from my larders to recover. That so much pain came from the unfortunate wandering and mistaken identity of one foolish girl is more proof of the King and his chosen council's incompetence.

There is no danger or concern from Jewel or her family.

Her brother and mother should be informed ahead of your arrival that they will attend the caravan to Kaeketeh and should bring finery befitting glorious feasts and declarations of great renown.

The House of Rochford will be receiving accolades and needs to look the part for it.

Also tell that fool Thurzó his daughter should be hale and ready to return home after the festivities.

Your Liege commands it.

Countess Elizibeth Bathory of Viznove.

- Military order from Elizibeth Bathory of Viznove to Baron Marcisław of Kliatbatrn

Lord Sorcerer Urul had been quick to provide Jewel with even more detailed instructions on the specific rites Veoul would have wished for, calling forth a beautifully illustrated scroll which not only provided words to describe it, but the signs and flowers expected.

One of the mere wizards had gotten into a heated argument with Euewyn and Tsulogothulan to arrange for such flowers to bloom overnight.

Fizzbunches surprised Jewel by being somber about the whole endeavor. No smugness, no inserting himself into the affair.

He simply provided an old and obviously well loved doll.

Simple burlap for its smock over a wooden core.

Face a crude lump of wood that Jewel could only somewhat guess was the right way around.

Sparse scraps of wool for hair.

It spoke of an age to her that was so advanced it amazed Jewel it was still in one piece at all.

That its simple dress fibers were as complete as they were.

That the wood was not dust from dry rot.

That any wool at all still clung to its 'head'.

His only words regarding it were.

"We have no body, but that was once passed by Veoul to a young and very foolish child he caught trying to pickpocket him in an alley. It will remember him for us."

And with all of these parts together they were prepared.

Jewel stood before the simple little doll, which was so old that it should not have been whole at all.

Arranged around it were bright pale golden red flowers that honestly reminded Jewel of floppy oversized clover.

She felt the world's attention on them all. The keening pain was still rising ever quieter and thinner.

But it was witnessing them.

Against the overwhelming attention of the air and earth itself, the curious knights, Barons and Counts (Thurzó included) were an inconsequential drop in a deep well.

Not even the wizards' presence with Jewel was anything against the feeling of the world itself watching and judging.

The dawn had broken; it was time.

It was important to do this in the fresh light of a new day — so had Urul written for her.

And now they began.

Jewel recalled the words that Urul had given her to speak. And she raised her head and opened her voice for them. Her tongue and throat shaped the sounds in that strange twisting fluid manner that she had heard Thurzó speak.

That she had drilled to produce correctly despite not even being quite sure where one word began or ended.

The speech of the land of Free men.

But she also spoke them in her flame, in the manner she had come to understand all Wizards could whisper and shout.

And in those she knew their truth.
I remember
of these past moments
without even knowing you.
I remember these moments
Which still remain in spite of me.
Of us two there was Fear and Terror
and scant few hours
Where we fought for life and you were vanquished
I remember you
Because your presence has remained
In my heart, in my life.
In my pain and in my cries.
I remember you.
Of your presence and your voice.
In my heart, in my life.
In my thoughts, your memory grows.
I remember you
That at any moment, I cannot forget you.

Jewel dipped her head and raised a Rochford-made spear. It was one of the ones made for the levy.

If she was a man it would have been a sturdy wood and this effort a great endeavor.

But the wooden haft snapped between the twisting grasp of both her foreclaws with a thunderous crack.

And then she laid it to rest amid the flowers beside the little wooden doll. The weapon of an enemy broken. Their feud surrendered in death.

And in the air all around them she could feel a shift to the pained keening of the world. There was still suffering but it was shifting, growing deeper and less strained. More open.

Next approached Fizzbunches. And Jewel was again surprised by the sombreness of the cat.

He walked up to the pile of near-crimson flowers and dipped his head amongst them, just over the head of the doll.

There were words spoken that not even Jewel could hear clearly despite how close he was.

And then a wave of the paw and a clatter of two silver coins settled on where Jewel presumed was the doll's eyes.

Another almost choked sob of an echo washed over her from the world. The anguish of loss becoming somehow deeper and yet lighter for its release.

Next was Urul, who naturally said nothing, but there was a whispering scratch of quills on parchment that rose like the cacophony of a flock of birds.

It filled the air with soft skittering noise that ended as suddenly as it had begun.

And with its passing there was upon the 'chest' of the doll a tiny book sized to it. Leather bound. Sealed with a metal latch of gold.

Another echoing cry, another shifting of the near piercing wail.

Like breaths finally being taken between the shrieks beneath the wind.

It was helping.

Jewel was not expecting any others, only Urul and Fizzbunches were apparently at all close with the Weird of Fortresses.

But Jaksa the Red of all people marched up from amid the crowd of wizards to stand before them all.

He raised his right arm high, the sleeve sliding down to leave pale skin and blue veins in the dawn light.

Then with his left thumb he dragged a line across those veins. Parting his skin like wet clay under the nail.

Spilling an arc of red blood which spun in the whisper of his working. Sinking into the flowers around the effigy with meanings of life, vigor, strength, the indomitable will of blood and the joy of life lived.

He said nothing with his voice and his wound had closed before he even finished lowering his arm back into his sleeve and stepped back amongst the wizards.

No speech for mortal ears but plenty of respect given in sorcery.

And that too helped, not as strongly as those before but it opened up gaps in the thin reedy howl of the world. Forced gasps and release instead of ever tightening pain.

And then each of the other mere wizards took their turn. Adding a single working that was at once a reinforcement and preservation as well as a declaration and affirmation.

Life and knowledge.

Solidity and strength.

Honor made solid.

Each prying open the pain of the wind, the wood, the rock and stone, the earth and air itself.

Forcing a painful sharp release that nonetheless seemed to bring relief to a wounded world.

When it was Euewyn's turn the weird looked a little put upon by the whole affair.

She glanced around at all the soldiers and lords and their peers in sorcery.

Then fixing Jewel with her absence of a face and slumping of shoulders that the Weird had manifested solely to move as such in mock sigh.

A breeze in the wind of chill autumn passed amongst all of them. Icy and sharp and brief.

Jewel was still only somewhat fluent in Autumn Forest but it sounded dismissive to her.

The absolute barest acknowledgement that Veoul was 'probably alright maybe'.

And for the first time since the Weird had been slain by her flame Jewel felt a shocked bubbling amusement under the torrent of anguish.

Like a surprised laugh choked in a sob.

Then the Weird flounced back to stand with the rest of the wizards behind Jewel.

Which left her friend Tsulogothulan last amongst their number.

The Bog Weird strode up with a lot more grace then the Autumnal one, then turned to fix all the soldiers with a piercing glare of their one eye.

Sparing a softer glance and a nod to Jewel before turning to stare down at the effigy. And finally broke the silence that every wizard until that point had more or less maintained.

"Veoul I have a thing to say to you."

The words were round and full of disdain. And yet speaking out loud the name seemed to draw a sudden anticipatory silence.

The keening had finally stopped.

"Fighting you was an absolute pain. You dug up my waters like a pig rooting in shit and you tore away my marshes with stone and timbre. Before this battle you spoke little and stupidly in what meetings of the circles you even deigned to attend and it took me half the battle to even recognize who the fortune's damnation you even were when we met in opposition because you hardly ever talked to any of us before that day."

And again there was that bubbling burbling joy and pain intermingled together. A familiarity and stinging reminder.

But a memory that was good coming up from the stones.

With that the weird nodded sharp and hard.

"I never liked you at all. But I'm sad to see you gone."

And then turned away and slid across to undulate into place behind Jewel.

The world was crying again, but it was different, not some ongoing neverending silent screeching note that ever rose in higher and higher tension.

It rose and fell with the wind. It rustled in the breeze, it shifted and settled in the earth.

There was still pain. But it was no longer tightening ever harsher.

She nodded to her friend then scanned the crowd of men who had come to witness a Funeral overseen by a Dragon for the death of a Wizard.

"Are there any others who have words for the dead?"

For a moment Jewel thought none would come and they would have to move on to the traditional songs of farewell and then the burial and the last draft of wine.

But then as she had hoped, Count Thurzó walked up to the place at the head of the effigy.

"I called for the mustering of the Lord Sorcerer Veoul, Weird of Fortresses to join me on this campaign. The high king agreed, but it was my command under which he was called and it was under my command that he fell in an honorable battle."

There was a dipping of his head in consideration.

Jewel felt a suddenly disturbing gnashing malice through the wind.

"His last words were spoken to me, warning that he could no longer sustain against the powers brought forth against him. He did not flee in the face of the unbeatable. But stood firm and passed on to me news of his defeat with his last breath."

More wroth buzzed and hummed in the earth, in the blades of grass, in the very flowers that surrounded the effigy. Jewel could see some of them bending subtly inward to coddle around the doll that stood in place of a corpse for the dead Weird.

Thurzó raised his right hand with the signet ring of his house shining proudly in the early morning sun. Jewel thought it was probably brass by the smell of it.

The attention of the mourning of all things around him narrowed and sharpened with attention on him.

"As Count of Árva and consul confidant of the High King, I pledge that the land and people who once sheltered under the demesne of Lord Sorcerer Veoul will suffer no tithe or tax so long as I reign. And when our business in Viznove is concluded, a heroes memorial will be held in his home to honor his service to the Realm of Cantor Reborn."
The tension fell out of the wind and grass so suddenly Jewel had to brace herself to avoid flopping onto the ground like a slack rope in shocked sympathy.

"Let today be just the first of those celebrating the memory of this great man."

And the bittersweet rising joy and agreement that rose up had Jewel cheering along with it before she realized what was happening.

By the time she had, almost everyone else had chosen to join in the cry.

Jewel composed herself as well as she could and did a quick glance around. It looked like the funeral was a success.

Although some faces were staring at her.

Father was giving her a look that was equal parts proud and pained.

For some reason, Count Fiebron was beside him and laughing so hard he had to bend at the waist and gasp for breath.

Jewel was not expecting to feel as strongly as she did when they broke camp as an army for the last time.

It was not a complete dissolution of the soldiers. There were still those that would be following them along the roads.
And at least right now, a bit more than half the army was not yet fully parting ways as they still needed to travel out to the rest of Viznove.

But Count Fiebron and his lords from Zekhedge were turning home now. Splitting off down another road from Jewel and the levies from Viznove.

Also surprising for Jewel was that most of the Levy from Rochford were leaving well ahead of the army. It made sense when Jewel thought about it. They were already practically home, a solid day's hike or less for some of them.

But seeing that core of Rochford men melt away in the morning?

The only remaining friends from home were the Footmen, Bromthil, Kraok her Squire and Father.

It made Jewel sad in a way she never would have expected.

One of them had taken an arrow when she was not fast enough.

Another had swept into the space her own jaws had cleared to cover her neck from a charging footman's jab.

They had fought together for a single furious day and marched many more besides that.

And now they were off home to do peasant things again.

And Jewel was still with the army.

Scouting and flight were less of a duty now.

Missives had been sent and a rider from Rochford had confirmed that the High King Mathias had ceded the claims of the war.

There would be an official celebration in Kaeketeh (which Jewel, Father and the rest of their family would be attending) and maybe even a royal visit in a few years time after that from Mathias himself and his court to solidify things.

But the tension that had hung over them even as they had ostensibly won the war finally began to lift.

The old stink of it slowly coming clean from Father with each day.

So Jewel flew more or less for nothing more than exercise and the joy of it. The other Gryphon Riders were also making sport, much as they had during the muster. Making aerial demonstrations of acrobatics, performing hunts on what game they could find by wing in the forests of Rochford.

Jewel enjoyed these, even if she still could not match even Zephyrvam in a race.

She was third place amongst them in dives though!

And absolutely first amongst all for her powers of sight, sometimes even spotting things before the Gryphons themselves did.

But for all that distraction, and though she could still see the little clumps of departing allies and comrades in arms or the sinuous coils of the Zhekhedge army on the march from above, there was a sense of finality to it all.

The followers' camp was also breaking up. Some had even done so before they reached Rochford.

Taking other paths and roads north, south or even back west the way that they had just marched.

Burdened carts, mules and travel bags with goods or coins gained in the campaign.

For all the time it took to gather everyone together and make an orderly march of them, the pace at which the army simply was disappearing to every direction now that it was no longer needed was incredible.

Jewel swung in the air and flapped her wings hard. Angling such to beg off another offering to dive and dance in the air with the other fliers.

She instead sank low to settle amidst the all but gone herd of goats that had been brought as griffon feed.

She was gentle, coming to rest alongside the path and the goatherds gave her a nod.
Smithson was leading Ox-hoof along with the other Gryphon minders. The pace of the army, even much diminished, was still plenty slow to handle on two feet without a horse.

He brightened up and broke away from them much to his laden mare's annoyance at the increased pace.

"Lady Jewel! What brings you to the ground so early? Do you need me to run a message or perhaps a snack?!"

She waved him off though.

"No, Squire, I simply wished for some company and the sound of a friendly voice. The flight cant is all well and good, and flying is wonderful, but it is not the same."

Smithson nodded and slowed a pace to let the irate Ox-hoof relax in her plodding walk.

Jewel slid in amongst the herd of goat keepers and with the space in the march they were still afforded, it was almost comical to have more minders then beast and so much open space in the marching line besides.

But Jewel trusted there was some good reason for it.

They had been diminished as well. Half their number (and goats) split off to join Count Fiebron's march home.

The rest would likely part when they reached Rochford with each of their own gryphon lords and knights.

Jewel looked over at Smithson and nodded with a smile.

"How have you taken to your first war my Squire?"

Smithson flushed in the way it had taken Jewel quite too long to realize was shame rather than anger.

"Might I be honest, Lady Jewel?"

Jewel for her part nodded to him and shook out her wing shoulders. Skipping lightly in the packed dirt of the road. Her wyrmfire was more than full enough to lift her with every step in the sinuous grace she preferred.
"It was rather boring, my Lady Jewel, a whole lot of walking, waiting around in camp, a bit of busy work. When we make or break camp, I think I worked harder on our trip to Kaeketeh. And harder by far than either the war or that trip when I simply stay home and mind the stables. "

That was certainly not what she expected.

But then many people were in the camp that never even saw battle.

Her squire was not younger than some of the Levy, but his role as a minder with the other Gryphon keeping staff kept him in camp.

At the same time Jewel considered the thought of an arrow or one of the sorcerous forces cutting Smithson down in a blink.

Of her own Wyrmflame gone awry and leaving him nothing but ash.

Or maimed but yet living.

Screaming like the broken horses and men on the battlefield.

Doomed but still breathing.

Jewel could not keep her voice from being small and quiet.

"Would you have preferred to fight? With me and the rest from Rochford?"

Smithson for his part broke into the widest grin and in that moment Jewel realized what one of the looks Father had been giving her all this year meant.

The sad, pained yet proud looks in his eyes.

Jewel was certain if she could see her own face she would have the same eyes.

"Of course, Lady Jewel!"

She saw her Squire and friend walking there beside her, looking up to her with wonder and pride and bravery.

Saying he wanted to go to war with her.

Jewel could barely bring the words from her throat.

But she had to say them.

"Of Course, my Squire, I will see to it."

What else could she do?

Jewel missed Mother and Alexander. Seeing them felt better than sweet air after your throat had been left crushed closed for hours.

Of this she could personally attest.

It was a relief to see them both safe and whole.

Even if Mother and Father then proceeded to be quite improper out in the courtyard where everyone could see.

Kissing in public was for marriage.

She had, of course, like a good noble daughter, and not some mismannered peasant born girl turned away from her parents out of propriety.

Alexander had joined Jewel in studiously avoiding looking at their parents being shamefully affectionate in public.

To fill the time he peppered her with questions about the battle. Which Jewel tried to explain.

It all felt far too short in glory and daring actions then confusion, dirt, sadness, screaming, pain, blood-

Jewel mustered herself and remembered the lesson she had discovered in talking to the villagers about the nature of her shameful encounter with the Terror Boar.

She recalled how she had heard the knights boasting.

And on reflection Jewel now wondered if some of the reason that they said things so bombastically was much as she now did.

Was all battle actually like this? Was every boast and flowery word on the subject there to ease the telling of it?

Seeing her brother's wide eyed adoration and glee for her and how she was telling of the thing that she herself did not even want to think about felt like the very foundations of her home were shifting under her.

Could Jewel ever find it in herself to tell her Brother what it was really like?

Could Jewel even find the words to describe it?

The blood, the screaming horses, the sudden and shocking pain of the entire world closing in on you if you slay a Weird?

Jewel felt her brother's hand tugging on her shoulder but for a moment a thought struck her even harder.

Every Levy from Rochford had mothers, fathers, even children for some. Many had siblings just like Alexander.

And every levy, footman and Knight that had been left torn apart upon the battlefield and stripped for armor was much the same.

All of them in their thousands.

Bodies torn apart on the ground, Gryphons tearing into their bellies.
"JEWEL?!"
Father was there, as was Mother.

Alexander had been shouting?

Everyone was looking her way. Was it improper somehow? Maybe? Jewel was not sure all she had done was stop a moment.

Stop and freeze and think of the bodies.

And the ash that smelled the same as grass and soil under her flame.

There were hands on her, Father's large warm hands, Alexander's arms hugging her neck. But they were still in the courtyard. She tried to protest, but nothing came out of her throat but a very low and yet somehow sharp keening.

Mother was holding her close and whispering something?

Something about a bath?

Jewel had not had a bath since the battle.
Not a proper one.

Just dips in streams and some scrubbing from Smithson.

Jewel missed her baths.

That would be good right?

Jewel felt a tugging lightly on her neck and only then realized she needed to walk with her Mother and Father.

To move through familiar halls that were yet still somewhat crowded by officers and lords from Viznove.

They would stay a night in Rochford before setting out again?

Jewel thought she remembered that, but everything was muffled and distant.

The stones welcomed her feet.
Her flame was strong and let her mostly be dragged along by Father and Mother.

Make her weigh little enough even mere human hands could pull her.

Alexander looked very distraught for some reason.

She should say something but Jewel was not sure what she could say.

There were words happening around her. People she knew that somehow felt faceless.

The air changed, she smelled lavender oil.

Jewel wanted to protest that her Father and Mother were here in her bathing room with her but they all seemed too delicate suddenly.
Too fragile.
A single breath from Jewel could reduce them all to ash.

Ash that smelled the same.

Jewel could only keen again despite how much she wanted to send them away.

Despite how much she wanted them to stay.

Gentle familiar but far too small hands helped her into the water.

Hot water and lavender oil floating on top.

Jewel sank slowly and with much prodding into her bath.

And she would have stayed coiled up underneath the thin skin of scented oil until the water felt stale in her lungs, maybe even beyond that point.

But those same familiar and yet far too small hands refused to leave her there. Pulling at her head, muscles straining taut to bring her to the surface and the air.
Without the lift of her flame the muscles went taught with the effort but they dragged her free of the surface.

Smaller gentler hands running over her mane with the metal comb.

And then suddenly something sparkles.

A small copper pail.

Brushing her nose.

The metal catching on her wyrmflame and drawing it out and back.

Every crevice and dent of it is familiar.

With her since she had first been bathed in a tub.

Filled with water now and gently poured over her by the same hand that had done it that first time.

Father.

Jewel was home.

She was Safe.

The war was over.

There was no blood, no bodies, no ash.

Her Father was here holding up her head out of the water despite how heavy it was without her supporting herself.

His sleeves and front were soaked from reaching into the bath.

Mother was brushing her hair.

Alexander had fetched her pail and was filling it and pouring it over her head.

Jewel could not find the words.

But she could finally find the tears.

Jewel cried, she leaned into her father, lifting her head from his straining arms.

Taking a tiny burden from him.

She took the pail that had been used to rinse her since she hatched. That she'd grabbed and held after her first bath and treasured ever since.

She cried and keened and rumbled in deep sobs that made the water around her splash and dance with droplets.

Her family's clothing was soaked.

They were all in her Bathing Room.

It was so improper.

And Jewel didn't care.

Poor Jewel... She's not taking the aftermath very well at all, but I think this is the first time anyone else has noticed.

Honestly, I wonder what the actual Tyrant Wyrm all those centuries ago was like, as a person.

"Lady Jewel! Oh have you grown girl?! Welcome back to the Flushed Lamb! Oh and to you too, Sir Lord Rochford!"

Freewoman Hożanka Masondottir was proving to be one of Jewel's favorite people outside of Rochford.

The boisterous, loud, and very round woman bustling about with a size of personality that could make you forget she was no taller than Mother

"We've got your rooms all settled, Praise stars for the messenger ahead of pace, my lord! I was able to get the boys to close off a feasting hall and get it all situated with a bed for your daughter in time!"

A glance over at Mother in her traveling clothes and the strangely shy shuffling of Alexander was followed up by further outpouring of delighted and incredibly happy words.

"Oh and is that the wife?! And your son? Oh what a scrumptiously fine lad he is!"

Jewel had found her experience with Smithson incredibly useful on this new journey to Kaeketeh. Her brother, for all his bravery and bravado when it came to hunts and mortal peril, was adorably shy when it came to the many strangers and personages he was presented to in their journey.
He'd even hidden from Abbot Herbort behind mother's skirts like an infant!

Jewel's older brother was adorable!

This bashfulness was on full display now as the force of nature that was the welcoming storm of Freewoman Hożanka Masondottir descended on his flushed red face.

"Oh Lady Jewel! You did not mention that your brother was such a wonderfully handsome young man! For shame, a sister not vouching for her kin at every opportunity!"

Jewel smiled warmly in the eating hall of the inn, which had been cleared ahead of their arrival this time (on the Countess' coin).

The only ones present being Jewel, her family, Bromthil, Kraok and Smithson.

For this trip Jewel had insisted that her Squire join them in the nicer accommodations instead of staying in a tent or barn like he had last time!

She had gone to war for the Countess, fought and seen men die.

The scheming nobles could suffer her Squire not knowing the basic courtesies.

The idea of letting her fear of impropriety force Smithson to sleep with the horses and eat with the servants seemed cowardly now.

Jewel nodded to the Innkeeper and grinned sharp and toothy.

Knowing from experience that nothing she did short of refusing extra portions of stew was liable to bother Hożanka.

"Oh dear, I apologize, Lady Masondottir. I was just a young girl out on her first journey from home then! I completely forgot to regale you on the virtues and valor of my dearest brother."

To which Alexander finally managed to make something like speech. Well more of an awkward squawk much like Jewel sometimes did when she was caught especially by surprise.

It was in fact a very good imitation of Jewel despite his relatively tiny throat.

"Oho! Tell me more about this valor! But first you've all been long on the road yeah? I can see your dust and smell your horses and leather! Come come! Have a pot of stew to warm your bones all of you!"

And then she was fussing all of them to their seats, Lords, Ladies, Dragon and Squire all alike under her commands to settle at a sturdy wooden table.

Clapping hands to call her maids and staff with bowls of that wonderful hearty stew Jewel remembered. Steaming hot bowls and what must have been an entire cooking pot of it brought over to Jewel's place at the table!
It was just as good as she remembered and conversation briefly stilled as everyone tucked into the welcoming hot food that banished the chill of the season.

Not as cold as when Jewel and Father had last traveled, but still well into the start of autumn cold.

Mother finally spoke up over the meal as Hożanka left to oversee something in the kitchens.

"Well, she's certainly a very friendly host. And a good cook. Pity she's a freewoman or I'd say we should claim her for the manor staff."

Father laughed and shook his head.

"I made the offer to hire her after I saw how taken with her Jewel was. But she declined, plenty of family here and she makes more than I could justify paying for a cook. Even if she was head of the whole household staff."

Mother nodded and looked at Jewel.

"Still, it is good to have friends and allies abroad, and known safe shelter on the road, even if she charges for the pleasure. I imagine we will be making this trip more often?"

Father sighed.

Jewel imagined he also nodded while listening intently, but her view was blocked by a pot of the absolutely delicious stew she had taken up and was drinking deeply from.

"Yes, I think our time being able to stay hidden away in Rochford all year every year is at an end."

Time on the army march had given her so much more appreciation for having a proper stew with meat, turnips, peas and beans!

She would never again think even her suppers at Rochford were simple.

Mother's tone also sounded weary from more than the road as Jewel swallowed and occasionally chewed her stew.

"We knew it would not last. Well, at least after this battle we can stop paying for your absence from the army each year."

Compared to the thin broth of milk, bone and soaked traveler's bread they eat every day in the army, it was as lavish as pig dripping in saffron!

Father's words were jovial in response.

"Jewel is certainly going to receive a title on par with that of a Knight of Viznove. With both obligations and dispensation appropriate I expect. It might even be a landed title on par with my own, but if so I will insist to the Countess it be one neighboring Rochford if not a manor within it."
That statement struck a chord, but with such delicious stew to eat Jewel could not break herself away despite her need to interject. Thus she had to finish her pot off in a rush.

She lowered the iron pot after dragging every scrap free with her tongue in time to see Mother had not even gotten halfway through her bowl!

Jewel licked her lips and brow clean of splatters as everyone at the table but father was staring at her.

He too was looking, of course, but seemed greatly amused instead of shocked.

Mother for her part was using a practiced calm that came down when she needed to hide her expression.

"Was there something you wished to say, Daughter?"

Jewel nodded heavily. Then realizing there was a speck she missed earlier licked it up from the tip of her ear.

"Y-yes Mother!"

Nodding quickly Jewel continued in a rush.

"A Title?! I know the Countess promised to declare Shining Wyrm a properly declared rank in the army but a full landed title?! On par with a Barony like Father's?!"

Father laughed and gestured to the completely empty iron cooking pot that the inn-staff were hauling up and away between two of them.

Quickly replaced with another pot of equal size and just as delicious smelling stew. Like the last one it was brought in by a pair of very well built cookhands.

"My dearest daughter, the most fresh of gryphon riders is entitled with at least a full manor and a knighthood just to secure feed and kit for his steed and your appetite alone is more than enough to match two gryphons."
Jewel started at that, she knew she ate quite a lot. But twice over for a Gryphon?!

Mother's smile was understated but her eyes shined with jest.

"Oh yes, I have some very well listed accounts on your meal costs alone, If you are a curious daughter. And then there is the price of the oils, and firewood burned for your daily baths."

Jewel went still.

Her Baths?

What did that have to do with needing a landed title?

Every lady needed to be clean. Jewel's daily routine just made of her a stink that required hot water and scented lavender oil to overcome.

Father chuckled good naturedly, this was an honest jest. None of her family held any malice for her.

No more harm than the teasing she made of Alexander earlier.

But Jewel did not understand.

"I beg your pardon, Mother? What of my baths?"

Which swept the conspiratorial smile from mother's face for a warmer, gentler one.

"As of last accounting we go through rough abouts forty-three felled trees worth of two-year aged firewood a year to heat your baths."

Jewel felt like she had been struck by the terror boar between the eyes, she knew her bath was large, that in principle it took wood to burn for heat and make of it a fire.

But Forty-Three Trees a Year?!

"We use the water after of course, when in season it is very fine for washing the wool of lanolin. For the rest of the year the staff are allowed to use it in the wash of the dishes and clothes. The smell is very nice."

Jewel could only think of all the houses in the village through winter that were short of firewood and needed her to help light still wet or fresh wood to burn for heat.

"And I must admit, a good bit of lavender scented hot water is very pleasant at the end of the day. It does wonders for my skin. But this is not something that comes for free, Daughter."

How many households could she have warmed with the wood they burned for just one of her baths?

How many days of warmth in winter was that?

Mother smiled warmly.
"So yes, Daughter, you very much deserve a full manor of your own to see to your life, food and comfort, even before the need to house, clothe and feed your staff and own footmen, captains and knights. And then with your value in battle? Really a barony is the least you deserve."

Jewel's head was feeling incredibly full with the very idea of it.

To which she was going to blame this burden for her complete unawareness. And by which the startled squawk when Freewoman Hożanka Masondottir appeared like a wizard directly beside her.

"Speaking of baths, since your last visit me and the staff have made arrangements for the Lady Jewel and her family to enjoy some of her expected comforts tonight!"

Jewel's nose caught the scent of Lavender on Hożanka. It was a different blend, different oils and fats and not the same exact plants as the blend she had in Rochford. But it was lavender oil all the same.

"Took some doing and I apologize, but we had to set it up in the stables for want of room but it's a proper bath as set by lord Rochford's last specifications! Steaming Hot! Fit for the Lady Jewel herself!"

Jewel nodded mutely and in shock.

No wonder no one had been able to see to her usual bathing routine last time!

The sheer expense of it?!

And given such a kindness, Jewel for all her new understanding could not dare to refuse.

Her voice was quiet and reverent for the flame expended on her behalf.

"Thank you deeply, Freewoman Hożanka Masondottir"

Jewel could feel tears in her eyes, but she hoped the wide smile kept them from being an insult.

"Oh no worries Lady Jewel! Think nothing of it."

Those last words echoed in her head and almost put Jewel off from finishing her stew.

Almost.

It was really very good stew.

But it was one request Jewel had to refuse while she tucked into her second pot.

She refused to think nothing of it.

Approaching Kaeketeh on foot was a very different experience to gliding in by wing. Doing it with the footmen and guard of Countess Bathory keeping the road clear so they could march with cheers and the air of a festival in celebration of their victory was something else entirely.

Those they stayed with along the road had been aware there was war. But some of their hosts had not even known who they were even fighting.

But soon were they welcomed to the Capital of Viznove.
Initially, it was hardly different from Rochford's own villages and those that they had passed on the way here or made forage in during the campaign.

Thatch roofs, wattle and daub walls. Sturdy timber doors and window shutters.

Close to fields with a garden nearby for some.

The far flung households which worked the fields furthest from the city itself.

At the greatest reaches of the fields of Kaeketeh there were even little clumps of houses that anywhere else would have been hamlets in their own right if not for their closeness to the Capital.

Then the houses grew denser. The room for gardens began to come less often. And then at last they reached the outermost extent where Jewel felt it properly changed from fields to city.

The buildings grew closer to one another and sometimes taller.

The simple plain earthen walls take on pale shades and were braced in woodwork.

The roofs make a shift from thatch to wood shingles.

And then brick and stone intermingle a bit as well before the first wall is finally reached.

Made of fine stones that Jewel could now see were also kindred to those in Rochford.

Cut from different cliffs, but in the same manner and aged just as much.

The gate was wide open, and a teeming mass of people were cheering. Musicians, jugglers and other entertainers that found their way to any grounds for a fair moved up and down the street ahead of them. The smell of sausages, hand pies and sweet festival cakes with honey billowed down from the street.

Jewel walked with Father astride Zephyrvam in his ceremonial armor at the head of the retinue.

Mother and Alexander rode just behind Father as Jewel's own length demanded the place of two more horses when she went as loose in her coils as this.

After them were both Generals from the army, Count Fiebron in his own dress armor upon Cloudspear. The count had flown in that morning and promptly inserted himself into the retinue of honor.

Above, Countess Bathory's Gryphon Knights were making circles of the city and as they entered the city each gave booming welcoming calls.

And then trailed the rest of the retinue. Smithson rode just behind the generals on Jewel's insistence. Dressed up in some gifted finery from Alexander's wardrobe that had only needed minor adjustments.

You'd scarcely believe by the look of him he was anything but a noble's son.

And then the rest of the lords and their footmen trailed behind them. It seemed such a small group to Jewel now. Even if it counted all heads told at nearly two hundred. Most on horseback.

It had shrunk and grown as they made their way through Viznove, some lords breaking off to return to their duties. Others returning that had broken away from the party bound for Rochford earlier.

But now at last they all marched as one on the streets.

Dirt road to start but swiftly changing to cobblestones.

Small cut and laid out before them between houses that had looked so delicate and small from the air but now managed to loom over even Jewel.

Jewel offered her courtly smile to all the teeming people around them. Mostly peasants, this close to the first walls, but finery was among them all. Mingling and blurring the lines. There were a lot of peddlers about, hawking food, or just simply selling right out of the windows of the closest buildings.

The smell of the food and the thick rich scent of men, horses, pig, duck, goat and fish creeped and swept under everything else.

Smoke, incense, baking bread and all the festival fair running over that.
And bubbling and roiling beneath that the pungent rot of middens and waste.

Nightsoil carts hidden around corners and down alleys from the road of their parade still undeniably evident to Jewel's nose.

In the scent of the people there was joy and peace and happiness. Hardly a whiff of anything like the oppressive stench that had been clinging to the staff in the war councils.

And as they walked down the streets, the same shift in character Jewel could take in at a glance from the air grew slowly around them.

It started with the buildings.

The lime-bleached white earthen walls braced by dark stained timbres gave way to painted bricks, the roof shingles turned to red clay from dull gray wood. The hawkers and peddlers working either in the street or out their windows were dressed finer.

Their clientele started looking less like peasants.

The smell of fish and animals other than men and horses came from further afield. The pungency of the midden and night soil smells stopped being merely around corners and quite properly distant.

Jewel had to muster every ounce of control to not shout when she noticed her first thief.

It was a smaller child somewhere in the size between Alexander and Smithson and they seemed very well practiced. For no one in the teeming excited masses noticed how they walked by and with a glint of a knife and a shift of their weight a pouch was cut loose from a belt and snuck into a sleeve.

The slender girl (a flicker of Jewel's tongue when she parted her lips confirmed it) turned to glance at Jewel. And Jewel for her part fixed her with a bit longer stare then she strictly had given the crowd until then.

Which spooked the thief and had them slipping past the crowd in a manner the wyrm could only envy.

It was like watching water flow between reeds.

And then light feet signaled an all out run down an alley and then a turn and another before Jewel finally lost track of her.

The first was a shock, but as they walked further along Jewel spotted more thieves. Some were as skilled as the girl, most not. A few even caught in the act by their targets. Twice one was captured and taken by what Jewel presumed was Countess Bathory's footmen.

With time it became another detail of Kaeketeh Jewel mostly ignored. A texture to the moving crowds cheering, eating, laughing, waving and all around just filling the air with their smell, sound and joy.

Sour notes of agitation, anger and the like flared up, a few brawls started by good natured folk too deep in their cups strained Jewel's smile away from the serenity she was supposed to have.

The three men who went so swiftly from beating one another to laughing and holding each other up reminding her so much of Mother.

And then as they made their way to the first bridge, Kaeketeh changed yet again.

The strange little wooden platforms with their boats were visible as they crossed the bridge, leaving the music and dance and cheers of the first crowd behind.

Jutting out from every edge and side that touched the waters.

The smell of the river itself welling up strong here, and from it the hints of chamber pots and other pungencies.

Jewel took a breath and leaned in close to Father, as they had a brief moment in this crossing before the next crowd.

"Alexander cannot be left alone on his own here, I spotted twenty-seven thieves on our walk alone among the crowd."

To which Father shook his head and laughed.

"Of course, he won't even be leaving the island keep."

Assured in her Brother's safety Jewel turned her attention forward to the waiting crowd ahead.

Middle Kaeketeh had stone instead of brick, fine colored glass windows in many places and fewer peddlers leaning right out of their windows to sell to the crowd but in character it smelled, looked and sounded much the same.

There was a different kind of quality to the music played, the foods smelled a bit different, a lot more finery on display and the scent of men and women was often mingled with that of herbs, flowers and other oils and perfumes.

But they still teemed.
They still smiled and waved and cheered.

And although their number might be smaller Jewel could still spot two thieves making off with other's property.

There was still, if even more distant and less obvious, the smell of shit, urine, beast and fish.

Jewel kept her face serene as she had been taught.

She walked with a stately grace that Mother approved of.

And she offered a distant but gentle mien to the people that came to enjoy a festival without any seeming concern about what others had fought for it.

That's quite a few thieves. I shudder to contemplate the economic situation that implies in the city.
To be fair this is literally their best opportunity in years. Most of the people are out on the streets, thouroughly distracted by the parade and with more money than usual on them, to buy street food and whatnot.

Marta had just wanted to get some sweet rolls for herself.

Not to let one of the servants find some for her, not to order a cook around to make it. Just go out, hand over some silver from her own coin pouch.

Sit on a corner

And have a sweet roll.

That's all she wanted.

But something went horribly wrong.

There were guards, there were ropes, there were words said about her?

She didn't remember clearly. It was hard to remember anything.

Then she was asleep.

And then Marta started waking up.

Always just waking up.

Always drifting out of a heavy slumber.

Always feeling weak and confused. She had just- something..

There was a sweet taste filling her mouth so thick and cloying that she yearned for clean water to wash it out. Her throat felt raw somehow, but not quite. Scratchy. Like she was going to choke but had somehow forgotten too.
She tried swallowing hard and felt things move and shift inside, some of the awful syrupy sweetness diluting in her spit. Her teeth felt woolen.

Her eyes audibly cracked as she opened them, then they closed just as hard without her will.

It was bright.

Too bright.

She felt her fingers move, her hands flex, arms bend. All without her say.

She felt addled and confused.

What had happened to her?

Her back bent unnaturally, strangely, it was not how she stood or bent or got up in the morning.

And then her eyes opened again and though the light burned, she did not squint or close them, she tried.

But the will to move anything felt like it was sinking into a mire.

Like every part of her had to move through thick blankets.

There was a voice, but it felt as muffled as her eyelids.

Something in her jaw flexed and her ears popped.

Marta swallowed hard.

The voice repeated it was coming from an indistinct blob in front of her.

"Marta? Marta Thurzó?"

The voice from the blob said her name, and Marta blinked by her own will.

That was a stranger's voice, a southern voice. Either Viznove or maybe Zekhedge? She was still learning the manner of speech of their neighbors.

To prepare for her trip?

She was pretty sure she had been making a trip, there were preparations.

Marta's voice cracked trying to speak and something came loose inside that caught her off guard and started a spasm of coughing and choking.

A hand was suddenly on her neck as she hacked and wheezed around a crumbling profusion of 'things' in her throat that kept coming loose and tickling her to cough even harder. And then heat and flush filled her neck, squeezed it closed and then 'clenched' against her will and 'pressed' up to her jaw.

It was like she was being sick, and yet it was nothing of the sort, awful flaky chunks filled her mouth as they were squeezed out by her swelling flesh from below and then suddenly a cool chalice was at her lips.

"Fill your mouth, don't swallow. Move the water around then spit to your side."

Marta could not have swallowed if she wanted, her neck felt full to bursting and hot as a fever! She could barely breathe for how swollen her throat was. And even though she was mostly doing as the voice commanded it felt like it was half her own body moving to the command then by her actual desires.

Swish blessed water in her mouth, turn head.

Spit.

With whatever the awfulness that had come up her throat now washed clear and the terrible syrupy sweetness cleaned away, her mouth felt fresh as mountain air.

The swelling in her throat vanished as suddenly as it had come.

The figure that she still could not focus on and only recognized as darkness and hints of a pale blob that might be a face spoke again.

"You are Marta Thurzó of Arva? Daughter of Count Thurzó of Arva?"

She nodded and tried to speak again, her voice came out like something from a crow.

"Ye-asg?"

Why was it so hard to speak?

And then suddenly she was starting to sit up without her say so, her voice bleating like a half dead lamb as legs moved without her own desire to and stood her up and then turned her like a soldier.

"Good, your father has been very worried about you. You will follow me."

The sudden change in height made her briefly feel dizzy before there was a rush in her ears and suddenly she was not.

She didn't even sway on her feet but her hips twisted uncomfortably as they tried to walk her along. Half blind as she was, she could barely coordinate but tried to move with a less rigid gait, the effort easing her steps.

And for her attempt, Marta felt the pace come to her, the steps becoming her own. Although they subtly twisted her ankles still to guide her through the blurry confusion of the world.

At first warm carpet and then cold stone was under her toes. They moved past a shift in the air, There was something light and thin hanging on her body.

Then a thud sounded behind her.

Things felt strange.

Vision started to clear as she blinked, focused, blinked once more and found herself in a long stone hallway.

It looked like a cellar.

But along the walls instead of casks of wine or other stores were alcoves with people.

It was only after they passed the fifth one that Marta realized they were all women and girls. Each wearing a plain undyed smock, like you might dress a babe in.

Each laying on a length of rough bedding.

All of them moving slightly, weaving and twisting. Shifting their bodies almost like they were uncomfortable. Or dancing on their backs.

But they moved in sinuous unison. Like reeds of grass carried by a water's current.

They moved and yet their eyes were closed. They twisted and turned in waves in their alcoves.

Some seemed weaker and frailer then others but the pull that washed over them was still noticeable in even the faintest most faltering twists on those that looked half starved.

Marta reached to the fabric that draped over her and found the same undyed woolen smock.

As her eyes cleared even in the dim light of candles around her she could see her own hands, they looked sunken and aged. The flesh pale and the skin hanging on her knuckles and veins like an old woman.

Her fingers trembled as she raised them to her face and felt relief at the flushed and full cheeks that her fingers still found.

The man in black robes, for that is what was ahead of her, glanced over his shoulder and frowned.

Not in a way that seemed to judge her. More like one of the painters doing a portrait who noticed a mistake.

Marta had not even realized she stopped.

His voice had a hint of annoyance, frustration but no anger.

"That won't do."

He gestured at her and there was a flush of heat up and down her body, tingling in her hands and a faint rush that made her jolt.

One of the women in the alcoves behind her gave out a shuddering gasp almost like a moan of pain.

And then the heat settled and the only sound was of slowly writhing bodies in stone alcoves.

The man seemed satisfied, he nodded and turned away, resuming walking.

Marta for her part followed, staring at her fingers, flush and alive again just as she remembered them before the horrifying withering.

Maybe even more so?

She turned to glance again at the women in their alcoves to either side, at the manner of their dress, the sunken flesh of their bodies. The dust and grime on their skin and smocks.

They moved and breathed and yet they were somehow asleep?

Marta remembered waking.
Always waking.

Stings of pain, draining cold, a weakness, dizzying confusion, lightness between her ears and then sleep again.

Only to wake once more to the same.
Over and over again.

Until now.

Her voice creaked to try and say something but she could not make the words come.

Was not even sure what she was going to say.

So many questions jumbled in her head and strangled in the jam at her tongue.

The figure walked ahead of her and when she tried to slow and stop her steps, Marta's legs and hips simply pulled her along uncomfortably and unnaturally out of pace with her own gait. She was quick to take initiative so that at least she walked comfortably.

Ahead there was a whispering sound like wind.

But somehow it seemed hungry.

They turned a corner and the alcoves were left behind. But now there were solid iron bars and shuffling unseen things in the dark beyond to either side.

Shuffling, whispery, wheezing things.

Marta again tried to pause, to stop, and again her shoulders, hips, knees and feet jolted her along. Kept her going.

The soft, almost panicked sounding breathing poured in from the dark. Desperate, hungry breaths. There was a lot of whispery wind moving past teeth and passing strained tight throats.

Throats that almost but not quite were keening in hunger.

In desperation.

In want.

But never fully breaking into voice, never uttering even animal pleas.

Just wind passing throats that sounded far too dry.

There was other noise too adding erratic percussion. Slide of flesh against stone, a rattle of chains and sudden clack of teeth coming together.

But nothing else.

Marta could not see into the black behind those bars, and she could either walk of her own accord or by the unnatural will of her limbs and the foreign force that commanded them.

The hall with the dark, and the bars and the strained near silent wheezing breaths went on for longer then she ever wanted it to be.

And to her horror, Marta could feel that while she could not stop, her limbs also refused to let her run ahead.

She was trapped at a slow easy pace as they passed room after room of those black cells and their thick iron bars.

The subtle hint of chains rattling against one another.

Clacking teeth.

Shifting skin on stone.

Finally they turned another corner and were leaving behind whatever that was.

The desperate and somehow hungry whispers now past had made her skin pebbled like plucked goose flesh despite her warmth.

Up a stairwell they went. Turning over two floors in ascent at least. The feel of the stone on her toes somehow was familiar. Like something half remembered in a dream.

Finally, a heavy oaken door with an equally heavy lock was before them but the solid metal latch undid itself and the door opened without a touch by the man

There was not even a pause in their shared stride..

Marta was embarrassed to admit it was only this that finally made her realize that sorcery was in play upon her.

But even that brief self-recrimination was melted away by the beauty of what was before her.

Daylight.

Not low candles, but proper sun.

Blessed daylight through windows and a warm comfortable hallway that felt achingly familiar to her.

And people, living, wakeful people who moved and looked and saw!

People other than this strange sorcerous man!

Servants and footmen and fine carpets and even tapestries and items of honor on display.

A proper hallway fit for living!

Not a horrible cellar or a horrific dungeon full of unseen reedy breaths past hungry teeth.

As they walked, there was even a view of wonderful blue water and the light was so beautiful! It burned her eyes to take it in but Marta could not have stopped even if it was searing her to cinders.

Her skin prickled where a sunbeam touched it.

Tingling lightly.

But she welcomed every scrap of it despite the slight itch that swelled underneath the first touch of sun on her skin.

She turned to look around and just welcome the sight of everyone around her.

But there was something off there.

The Footmen studiously kept their gazes straight, looking through her rather than at her. Like she was invisible.

She thought maybe sorcery of some sort had made her unseen.

But the Servants actively did not look at her at all, turning away and shuffling past quickly when her guide crossed their path. Their postures were full of shame and fear. As they refused to acknowledge her. The fright of those shying away from a wrathful lord or lady.

But that was all wrong for Marta.

She was joyous, not wrothfull.

The strange man in dark robes and slick hair walked without giving any of them or her a glance.

But then again Marta was incapable of not following him. She was chained to him as surely as if she had been tied and led by a rope.

What was going on?

Had she done something wrong and forgotten?

Where was she?

And then they came to a door and like the other it was opening without a touch. The man and her entered again without a single hitch in their stride.

Before finally stopping.

Even without the stilling in her joints from sorcery, Marta would have frozen at the sight before her.

Tears welling in her eyes as she saw her Father.

Standing there, caught mid stride in what looked like pacing. Slowly settling and then turning to face her entirely.

Hands held up halfway between either welcoming embrace or to cover his mouth like a distraught widow.

His eyes were shining wetly.

The sorcerous man's voice sounded bored.

Executing the last step of a bothersome chore.

"As Promised, I have produced your Daughter healthy and unharmed. Does that satisfy your terms?"

Marta heard her father say the words in the brittlest and most exhausted tone she had ever heard from him in her life.

"Yes."

And then Marta was being embraced in warm arms.

They were welcomed as a group, all the lords of the entourage, but this time Father and Jewel were welcomed first among them. Even ahead of the generals!

And after that they were swept into the feasting hall.

But the seating had been rearranged from last time.

On the Countess' right an entire half of the table had been set aside for Jewel (and Jaksa the Red).

To the Countess' left, past the still notably empty chair, Father, Mother, Alexander and Count Fiebron were seated to occupy the other places of honor at the Countess' table.

The other two tables were filled out with both those she remembered from the original War Council, as well as lords Jewel did not recognize.

Neither from the war itself or any other meeting.

Among them was Smithson and to his left, Tsulogothulan. He looked incredibly nervous but Jewel trusted her friend to keep her squire safe.

Judging by their muttering, these newcomers also had never heard from their peers about Jewel and many were whispering conspiratorially to one another.

Subtly enough that Jewel supposed they expected she could not hear them.

If they even thought she could understand.

Was Jewel going to have to correct every single person in all of Viznove of her personhood on the first meeting?

No, she'd not had to do that for any of the Gryphon Riders.

But these Lords and Ladies?

Probably.

Ironically, the only one of the nobility she recognized that had not been present for her last visit was Count Thurzó and beside him, a young woman in finery Jewel's nose told her was his daughter.

She seemed shaken, fear still hanging on her but there was relief washing that away and she was putting on a brave face.

Jewel felt awkward put up here in such a place of prominence, it made the scale of her even harder to hide, and left precious little room for her wings if something embarrassing happened.

At least the smell from the kitchens promised that there would be Jewel's favorite Saffron-glazed pigs for the feast. Although for some reason they were not being cooked over the hearths in the center of the hall.

The Countess Bathory stood tall and everyone stilled to silence.

"My Vassals, today we celebrate victory. But more than that we celebrate peace made once more with our neighbors and the Realm."

She nodded to Thurzó with that before continuing her speech. Smiling benevolently in a way Jewel was still mastering under Mother's tutelage.

"My Honor has been restored, Your safety as my vassals is assured and for the misunderstanding on my part which spurred the Good Count Thurzó to his foolish claims, I have chosen to forgive the duly owed recompense Arva owed to Viznove."

A few of the lords and ladies that had not even been privy to the first war council for lack of the Countess' trust muttered about that.

Displeased that spoils promised from the Countess' enemies were not going to pass in even a small portion to them.

Spoils they had not even been there to claim.

But the Countess continued, and seemed especially interested in where the mutters were coming from, despite them being well below what should have been audible to her.

"To meet all obligations and promises made before our armies mustered, I will open my own coffers to pay that due to those so owed, as had been prior arranged. Fear not: none of you will go hungry this winter."

She spoke of the very idea of anyone here going hungry with a tone of jest that made all laugh, although Jewel noted that unlike with her Father making such jests, there was not an honest chuckle among them.

Though some faked it better than others.

Count Thurzó and his daughter did not even deign to try at laughter, but Jewel thought that to be expected.

The Countess' eyes turned to Jewel and then her face followed, bringing that smile bright and white between red lips to bear.

"Furthermore, there are honors to bestow, for the peasants there will be an announcement tomorrow and a festival made of this going on the next ten days, but as my esteemed vassals the news will reach your ears first, of course."

Another chuckle, this one more honest sounding, though Jewel did not understand the joke.

"For honorable action in arms acting in my name and as a pivotal strike in the victory of the war, I bestow upon the House of Rochford the lands south of their present holdings, to include the Temple of the Silver Lady's vassalage and all surrounding hamlets."

Father bowed in thanks, but the Countess was not looking towards him.

She was still smiling with eyes only for Jewel, and so the Wyrm bowed as well low and respectfully for the sake of her family.

That was a mighty sum to add to the wealth of Rochford.

But the Countess was not finished.

"Furthermore, I elevate the title of Shining Wyrm of Viznove so held by the Lady Jewel of Rochford to one of land holdings to be no less than a full manor. And more at the discretion of and to be provided by her Father and Liege Jonathan the Third of House Rochford, Lord Baron of Rochford."

That was also not unexpected and better than Mother and Father had feared.

Finally she turned from Jewel, spinning in place and sweeping all the room with her gaze, settling on Father who duly gave his bow of acknowledgement.

There were some very quiet murmurs. Some upset, again from those that had not gone to war as lords in the army.

Jewel turned her gaze to fix one of the muttering lord's neighbors that she did know and was already fixed to watching the wyrm as soon as she moved. Jewel gave a subtle shift of her brows towards the conniver next to him.

Which got the muttering lady a hard elbow in the side and then a hissed whisper and pointed glance Jewel's way.

Jewel smiled and nodded in acknowledgement to the rapidly paling face of the stranger.

Then her attention was drawn as the Countess Bathory was turning from Father to address all the hall before them.

"Furthermore, today I am announcing that in recognition of her contributions to the rightful defense of my honor, the safety of Viznove and to forever bind our families into the future, the Shining Wyrm of Viznove, Lady Jewel of Rochford as a landed lady of good standing in the court is hereby betrothed to my only surviving son and youngest child, Paul Nádasdy."

Jewel's thoughts stalled out entirely, all the world falling away to focus on the singular figure of the Countess Bathory.
Focusing on every muscle of her skin, every breath of her body, the delighted smile which suddenly reminded her far too much of Fizzbunches and his insufferable feline pride.

"To be married when my son and heir of my late husband's titles is of the proper age of sixteen."

The Countess was utterly calm, her heart beat was slow and steady pushing blood through her veins, her eyes were bright and her skin seemed healthy and unweathered. But Jewel could smell age and rot on the Countess.

With so much attention drawn to the single woman it seemed blatantly obvious.

She could taste stress and pain.

But above all else, there was a heat of triumph and exultant delight. Of a victory stronger and fiercer than any matter of armies or arms.

Jewel could not even feel what her Father or mother was doing so intensely was her focus, and the words didn't end! They seemed like an entombing mountain of stone pouring in from all sides.

"Furthermore, as the sole inheritor of the lands held by the house of Bathory, I name her my heir to assume all my duties, titles entrusted and vassalages owed to my name raising her family name to join mine, as both Jewel of Bathory and Rochford."
And with that the Countess sat back, to shocked silence, her lips peeling back in such a wide and delighted grin Jewel wondered which of them was truly more a beast then the other.

Finally the room came into focus, the scents of the countess and her terrifying triumph fading beneath the plate of saffron glazed pork set before Jewel. An entire sow had been roasted and set on her side of the table for Jewel alone.

Father and Mother looked strained, their lips and mouths smiled and they made thankful noises to the countess' announcement but they were both pained and panicked in their eyes and the stink of their sweat.
Alexander was at least thankfully ignorant and unconcerned, happy for Jewel on all the praise she was awarded.

Far more distracted by his own mere plate of saffron glazed pig.

Jewel could not stop herself from whispering to the Countess across Jaksa the Red's head.

The wizard seemed content to ignore her and just dig into his meal at least.

"Why? Why would you do this?"

To which the countess turned to Jewel with the sweetest smile. Lips moving as if they were discussing something pleasant but words so soft that none save perhaps Father might hear other than Jewel (and Jaksa).

"My dear now-daughter, betrothed to my son and heir apparent. With this stroke I have assured either that not one fool in the realm will dare to see me perish. Or that I will have delivered to them a force of such intractable threat and undeniable danger that my vengeance will be assured upon them no matter what you do with my titles."

She took a slow bite of a slice of ham and made delighted little mumbling noises of joy that Jewel suspected had nothing to do with the quality of the meat.

"Jaksa the Red does his best and the rituals are as invigorating as ever. But I still grow old, dear daughter. I grow old and am, for all their tales, mortal. But you, my Shining Wyrm? You are a dragon, you are immortal! In Rochford? Unlanded? You might be controlled, a chained beast of war in all but name. A weapon for whoever holds your family."

Another slow bite of teeth sinking into flesh, chewing, tongue licking lips and then a swallow of a throat.

Jewel's entire world felt pulled into just that mouth and its chewing.

Those lips shaping the words of her future like an oracle.

"But now? In a trifle of a battle and a single speech I have made you a Tyrant Wyrm in truth. And all that holds you back from usurping all the power owed you in that is me and my frail, old, oh so fragile mortal life."

That too clear glass of a chalice was raised and deep red wine that smelled strongly of the barrel it had been aged in. It passed those lips and the throat swallowed hard.

Tongue licking over teeth in relish.

"Welcome to my family, dear daughter. It would be nice if you treat my son well, he's hardly older than you. But it's not important. Be cruel to him, oh wyrm, if that is your fancy."

Jewel had not even known Countess Bathory had children before today, she had seen none of them or heard of them until this very moment! And yet she felt affronted and horrified to hear how little their mother seemed to care for them.

"Allow him to sire a child with a concubine, or not as is your won't. Have him bed you if you so desire, perhaps some wyrmish sorcery could even beget some offspring there. I care not. It is your business. My daughters already continue my blood fine enough for me. And my late husband's name can die with him for setting Thurzó upon me."

Jewel could only stare dumbfounded at the thing before her, that held allegiance of her family, that was owed at least until her death allegiance from Jewel.

That had set them to war.

That tossed her children aside in a scheme.

That had apparently done something so horrible to a man's daughter that he thought her dead?
All of that wrapped up into a woman just there next to Jewel.

A self-stated fragile, mortal woman.

"Now then betrothed to my son, Shining Wyrm of Viznove, my beautiful heir, it would be poor manners if you did not eat at a feast held in your honor."

The command was there, laced as harshly as before when last Jewel had heard it.

And once again Jewel was forced to eat something that, until this day, she had truly adored.

But the wyrm was not sure that she would ever be able to stand the taste or scent of saffron again.

Not after this.

Ginter ate the meat pastie of uncertain providence.

Was pretty good, meaty, greasy and even salty!

But exactly what meat in particular had been wrapped inside the baked dough was a bit of a puzzler.

Wasn't greasy like dog, not light enough for any bird or fowl Ginter ever ate, wasn't eel or any kind of fish, not enough gristly crunch to be rat or mouse either.

Unless the enterprising pastie peddler with his little wheeled oven or whatever dubious butcher supplied him was uncharacteristically diligent. But that was an absurdity on an impossibility in Kaeketeh.

If someone was serving rat it was either whole on a stick roasted or mashed to a pulp under a butcher's mallet and baked into a pie or pastie.

Not worth the work to butcher with something so fiddly and small as a rat unless it was some oversized lairspawn rats.

Ginter paused in his chewing to peer into the bitten through half of his pastie and get a good look at the meat, grease and pottage mix of the filling.

Maybe?

He finished off the last half and contented himself it was not close enough to pork to make one concerned of its providence.

Life was better with little mysteries anyway.

The Countess had opened up the gates all the way to her fancy keep for the festivities and Ginter was making his way through the crowd to hear and see the announcement.

He had been nursing a hangover when The Shining Wyrm came through on parade yesterday. And worse than having missed such a moment he found most of his sources were worthless to describe the event. Ginter was not going to miss the proper address from The Countess.

But it was best to get your fair eats in the outermost city. Even in the docks afore the first bridge the hawkers will charge you thrice the silver and up in the middle city or further? Ten Haepenny for the same pasty!

And Ginter knew it was the same pasties because he kept an eye on the hawkers as they made their way and it was the same faces selling from the same ovens.

Sure, a few might swap their garb. Best to look fancier when peddling to the mid-towners or higher.

But all the same meat of mysteries cooked in the same oven with the same dough.

Death and Meat Pasties united all men as one, noble as gold or common as mud was all the same as he saw it when it came to pasties.

So Ginter bought his pasties in the outermost city close to the gate when it was a festival. Then he walked to the keep.

As he walked through the open gates, he mingled in middletown. Nodding to the maids, runner boys and other such whose mothers he knew. Keeping his head low and his eyes down whenever there was a lord, lady or uppity merchant that thought themselves such.

Ginter knew the weave of the stones under his thin leather boots. They always laid them the same way and with a good ear for the water and thin boots you could orient yourself quite well anywhere in Kaekettah even in pitch black or blind drunk.

He could walk and avoid shoving youngsters fine on a clear day like today.

A quick grab at the wrist of one of the thieving waifs was common courtesy and a quick kick to the ribs a proper admonishment to better respect one's elders or get better at thievin'.

If he'd been some noble or one of the Countess' men that would have been a knife to the gut if the waif was lucky.

Ginter had seen what happened to girls that went after a noble in Kaeketeh. Or just were unfortunate enough to be out after dark.

In that they were bundled off to the keep and never heard from again.

Never a body found, never a word spoken of them.

Those new to the city from some hamlet or such hoped it was just traveling off elsewhere or returning home.

But Ginter had a walk off to a village once when one of the maids asked him to see where her daughter milly had gone too.

Milly never was seen again and he eventually found a good thief who was better at sneaking than that last one who spotted the maid's girl one night.

The Countess' men cornered her and then bundled her off.

That was just Kaeketeh as long as Ginter had lived there.

It was always the girls too. The street urchins caught onto that quickly. Dressed like boys if they were savvy these days.

But all that did is that young and fair enough boys started going missing.
Only difference being they showed up again. Not even beaten.

Just confused, speaking of their heads going hot with a fever and then waking up on the street or if they were taken for a proper crime in the stocks.

Ginter slipped past a noble and tipped his hat to a footman.

The Countess' men.

He was slipping tight in with the crowd now. Worming along with them all through the fortress wall isle that separated the keep proper of Kaeketeh from the middletown full of the rich and noble apartments.

All the barracks and such were technically in the 'wall'. Where they kept the Gryphon feed pigs too. For when the Countess called up her Knights. Right now the clear patch of bare ground often used for mustering and training was cleared and made festive.

Dancers, performers of all kinds, even one of those clever puppet masters were in attendance.

And of course there was the very same pastie maker that had served Ginter the meat pastie of uncertain provenance two hours ago.

He nodded to the familiar face in a fancier hat and finer clothes and got a knowing grin and a dip of the head. A fresh baked pastie waved in the air. To which Ginter just laughed and shook his head.

Shouting over the murmur of the crowd.

"Not for Twelve Pfennig, ya bastard!"

Which earned him a good natured scowl and a kindly gesture to go fuck a goose.

He offered back his own gesture suggesting a ram was to the liking of the peddler and they both had a spirited laugh as Ginter swayed and slid between the crowd up to and over the bridge.

The stones under his feet were not so familiar here.

Only ever got a chance to feel them under his boots when the Countess was feeling especially good about some such thing.

But he stumbled a step on what were definitely fresh laid pavers.

Ginter frowned and weaved and slid from one side in the crowd to another. Good and practiced as he was at the crowded streets, taverns and brothels of Kaeketeh, he could move amid his fellow men like a fish in the river.

Left and right, forward and back.

Just to assure himself that yes indeed the Countess had relaid stones for nearly the whole expanse of her keep's courtyard. Which was an expense and effort Ginter had somehow missed despite dropping in with masons and road workers for a drink at least once a season.

Mighty peculiar that, but enough musing it was another mystery of the world.

Like the meat pasty, which Ginter was still suspicious of how well it would get along with the fish on a spit he'd had for breakfast.

Meat twice a day could disagree with him on the way out, and that sometimes even applied to fish.

But not always.

After assuring he would not need to get back through the crowd in a rush that required actually shoving, Ginter found a good spot to settle into his practiced resting stand.

Best spot for the Countess' Festivals, this.

Not too close to the front his countenance could disturb some noble sensibilities, but close enough to see their lady and mistress of the city.

Just the right spot to blend into the crowd and still have his aged eyes able to mostly pick up on the details.

And it was much the same as a usual festival for a bit. Out came the Countess' men.

Across the sky roared the terrible booming calls of the Gryphons that held less a fearful grasp in his spine then they once had.

Not since that day.

When the city went still.

But yes, there was the Countess and she proclaimed it was a festival for victory from some war she had been in.

Then out came some nobles to be honored, some lucky sods that got to be generals. Some lords and knights that earned a fair turn from the good fight.

A few captains offered land for their commendable acts in battle and surviving not getting a Gryphon arrow through the head.

Then some big shot Gryphon Rider Baron was getting some more land handed off to him to tax or whatever nobles did with land and the people in them.

And then at last something happened that made Ginter and all the other fools who had thought it was wise to get close up in front regret that choice.

The doors to the keep parted.
And from it emerged a beast he had seen only at a distance once before.

It emerged like a snake almost, head and then neck, scales shining like polished copper or near harvest wheat in the sun.

With a mane as black as coal and shining luxuriously radiant.
He felt a heady thing in his chest and his nose smelled rain and thunder.

The eyes were sharp and crisp and intricate with the color of honey. Their sharp focus moved over all of them in the crowd before dipping with a solemn expression to its lips.

Lowering its horns below the Countess' head before striding, smoothly in gentle steps that yet carried it further than they should from within the Keep. and kept rolling forth in shimmering metallic scales. The tightly folded wings held close to its sides.

Emerging yard upon yard until it was all coiled up nice and proper like a well trained dog on the Countess' right hand side.

In a space that had been cleared beforehand.

Sat and waited while considering the crowd in slow, easy sweeps of its gaze.

With eyes that made Ginter feel like a possessed thing.

A mere trinket held by one of his betters.

The Countess' words rang out in his head.

"I present to you, people of Kaeketeh and all of Viznove, Lady Jewel of Bathory and Rochford, Daughter of Jonathan the Third of House Rochford, Heir of I your Countess Elizabeth Bathory of Viznove! Newly announced Betrothed of my Son Paul Nádasdy the heir of our late count and my husband."

There was a pause and silence descended.

Had the countess gone mad?

Marrying her son to a beast?

No matter how magnificent, that was surely the act of an addled mind.

But then a voice soft and sweet and gentle as the most refined daughter of nobility spoke.

The voice of a youthful girl better fit for Ginter's own granddaughter shivered through the air.
The voice was so soft and yet it carried, it filled the air and beneath it was a rumble felt in the ribs and bones more than heard in the air.

"People of Viznove, I look forward to seeing to your safety and well being as your liege and countess, someday. But only after we can all enjoy the guidance and stewardship of the esteemed Countess Bathory for many more long years. I swear to you even when we must one day say farewell to our liege, I will protect you as my own for as long as I should reign."

Along with the others, Ginter stared, stocks still.

The lips had moved, the voice had rumbled, the words had come from the beast. From Lady Jewel.

He looked between the crowd where others too had seen it and were doing much as he had.

The clap of the hands and the familiar cutting voice of command from the countess struck them like a whip and all heads snapped back to look at her.

Ginter felt a pain in his neck with the violence he had turned to attention.

"People of Kaeketeh, give welcome and promise of fealty to your Lady, The Shining Wyrm of Viznove!"

And without a word needing to be said, Ginter dropped to his knee, there was not a man un-kneeling, not a woman unbowed.

Only the nobles remained standing under that voice of command.

But Ginter kneeled for more reasons than that.

And he thought many a native to Kaeketeh did the same.

They had all heard the wyrm's voice before.
Not dainty and soft as she spoke with it now.
But overwhelming and all consuming.

Silencing in its awe and majesty.

Terrifying in its power.

The countess might have commanded it.

But Ginter kneeled to his new liege to be.

The Tyrant Wyrm of Viznove.

The Lady Jewel.

Jewel was glad to be home to stay at last.

To finally be looking back at the war in its entirety. To be able to focus on lessons other than training for battle and bloodshed.

They had been held at Kaeketeh for the entirety of the festivities. Making numerous showings and appearances for both the populace of the city and those that had traveled clear across from Viznove and beyond.

There had been a particular surge of guests most notably pressing the capacity of the capital to bursting at the seams halfway through their stay.

But all of that and the trials of the road home were behind them.

Sleet no longer needed to be shielded off her family with an extended wing.

Strangers no longer needed to be reminded of her status.

It only took four trips across Viznove, participation in a war, ten days of speaking in a festival to thousands, being declared the heir of the entire county and a betrothal to the countess' only son to make being treated like an animal on first impression a bit less common.

But Rochford was home and she was glad to be back.

Samuel had not yet gotten his gardens back on the walls. But Jewel had already heard him speaking of it happening come spring. There were already young boys picked out to help with the heavy lifting of timbres if they survived winter.

There was now war spoils flush in both the Footmen and returned Levies' coffers or whatever it was that peasants kept coin in?
Maybe bags like those peddlers in Kaeketeh?

Jewel shook her coils out in the training yard, finally empty of men and the feet of armies. But beneath her claws, the stones and earth still trembled and hummed with the memory of them.

The weather had not quite managed to fully turn to snow yet, but the rain was thick with a slushy kind of ice most days that kept men, women and all other beasts indoors.

Not even Gryphons wanted to be out in this weather.

No one did but Jewel and Tsulogothulan.

They sat in the rain and the ice, enjoying the feel of the sopping mud beneath them and the burbling dance of the water and the wind Jewel had enchanted to dance there before them.

"It still hasn't shown any signs of stopping? Truly?"

The Weird of Bogs shook their 'head', still following the sleet and occasional twirling crystal of ice with the one eye. The glittering slush that flowed and swept around in arcs and lines like the most flowery lines of ink from a quill.

Far better than any actual penmanship Jewel could manage on a page.

And she'd done it by accident.

"Why have Fizzbunches and your circle promised and done so much for Father and I to simply sit and talk to me and watch me live, Tsulogothulan?"

The weird considered the waters a moment longer before turning to Jewel and sighing.

"You consider me a friend, Lady Jewel?"

To which she nodded firmly.

The Wizard sighed and looked up at the sky. Seemingly unbothered by the sleet hitting their eye.

Only blinking occasionally even as slush welled up upon it.

Then shaking the ice and water loose and blinking loudly.

"That's good, I feel much the same. But there are by our counting at least two hundred and thirty eggs of true wyrm in the hands of men. Some in the open, but most simply are stowed away in cellars or treasure rooms without a thought. Few men that even remember what they have. But so far none have hatched yet besides you?"

Jewel blinked at that, she knew that the occasional slaying a feral wyrm could turn up a true egg. But she was not such a beast.

"Yes? But why not study other wild wyrm for that? The histories speak of only a dozen or fewer from the clutch of the Tyrant."

The weird shook their head.

"As your friend, I must apologize for a lie by omission made against you and your Father. You are not the first to hatch from the clutch of the so-called Tyrant Wyrm."

Jewel glared a bit.

"But Fizzbunches said I was the first to hatch in mortal care within the last seven centuries."

Tsulogothulan raised a finger.

"In their care, but how many eggs do you suppose were left abandoned by happenstance as they moved and were inherited between the families Jewel? Urul the Written found one three centuries ago. And it had duly hatched before he came."

Jewel stilled, there was another dragon out there? Not just another but another offspring of the Tyrant wyrm? The being that by all accounts, Jewel could no longer deny was her flesh and blood?

That she had truly grown to earn the title of Tyrant Wyrm herself?

As unfitting as it felt.

But Tsulogothulan shook their beak of a nose.

"It hatched in the care of rats, it has to this day barely grown longer than you were on your first day out of the egg. It still lives to this very day in the cellar of a collapsed fortress long forgotten. Caring for and living among those same rats. It is nothing like you."

Jewel stilled.

An Egg of the Tyrant Wyrm, Hatching a Rat-Dragon?

Some miniscule Rodent Wyrm, which was centuries her elder and yet barely even grown longer than she was as a hatchling?!

Jewel stared at the working that still persisted before her.

"It's a Feral Wyrm... A Feral wyrm hatched from the clutch of the Tyrant?"

The Wizard nodded.

Jewel focused on the welcoming presence of mud, water, storm and sky.

Of the familiar stones that had been there for her since she hatched.
Of the soothing presence of her friend and the fauxfire around her.

The way the world dotted upon her even now.

Relaxing her wings back to a close, letting her coils unflex and settle in the watery earth.

Her friend continued.

"We are giving so much to study and know you Jewel, because you are the first to hatch in the care of men, to grow among men and become like them in a very long time."

The Weird stared at the dancing water of Jewel's working.

"The record of when last this happened is barely legend, and although we have suggestions it once occurred seven hundred years ago, Urul has disputed that such tellings might in fact be from much older times."

Jewel focused on calming herself, trying to think about this like a lesson instead of yet another flipping of every sensible thing in the world. She'd had so many of those in the last two years that she was feeling almost numb to them.

"I'm the only one?"

The weird sighed with a burbling croak.

"You are the first."

The Weird gestured over Jewel's coiled body and folded wings. With sleet flowing down them in cascading falls.

"You are the first to hatch into the care of mortal men in sorcerous memory. But if a Tyrant's eggs can hatch feral when among beasts, then why can a Feral's egg not hatch as a Tyrant if the right conditions are met?"

Jewel stared at her friend, her wings flaring not in shame or embarrassment. But in a chilling fear. Her neck arching back in horror at what the Wizard was saying.

The wyrm's voice was quiet and strangled. So much of her throat closed so tightly it was barely open at all.

"What conditions are the right ones?"

The words round as always came soft in reply.

"That is what Fizzbunches and all of his circle are trying to find out about you Jewel. Before it is too late."

And then there was silence between them.

Eventually the Weird slipped away into the mire around them. And Jewel turned to go in for her Bath and Supper.

Along the hallway she stopped in front of Kraok, staring down at him, he was so fragile. A breath from her lips could leave him as nothing but ash, could strip her home to its foundations.

Jewel could do it.

Had done it in the war in moments.

And she was the First of who knew how many Tyrant Wyrms.

Jewel stared down at the brave man who had saved her Brother's life.

Who would be nothing against her or any other of her kind.

A fierce dragon faced a valiant knight.

12.i

12.i

The Seasons of the Year as used in the county of Viznove.

• Spring Ploughing/Fallow Turn
  • Spring Seeding/Harrow/Birdbane
  • Summer Haying/Hay Turn/First Summer
  • Weed Blight/Hungry Summer/Second Summer
  • Wheat Harvest/Grain Turn/Third Summer
  • Pea Season/ Threshing Turn/Debt's Season
  • Winter Ploughing/ Swine Turn/ Pannage Season
  • Autumn/ Blood Season/ Smoke Season/ Forest Turn
  • Winter

The Logistics of Jewel's Bath.
  • 4~ meters diameter, 1~ meter tall.
  • Roughly 10,000 litres of water by volume
  • Takes approximately 280 kilos of wood to heat a full bath.
  • Takes 42 trees a year (with two years of aging to dry the cut wood out beforehand) assuming one bath a day.

The Rochford Finances and Demographics (prior to inclusion of the newly granted territories).

• 2900~ Population in Rochford
  • 71,832 Acres in Rochford
  • 20,300~ Acres of worked farmland in Rochford
  • 6,767 Acres worked directly for Lord Rochford
  • 13,533 Acres owned by farmers in Rochford
  • 5,413 Acres equivalent produce paid in taxes.
  • 12,180 Acres of produce available to Lord Rochford
  • 56,840 Bushels of Wheat Equivalent Product after Taxes produced by the population of Rochford.
  • 369,460 Approximate Pfenning Annum Income for Population of Rochford (before food)
  • 167,438 Approximate Pfenning Cost Per Annum of Food for Population of Rochford
  • 202,022 Pfenning Annum Income of Population of Rochford After Food cost (and taxes).
  • 85,260 Bushels of Wheat Equivalent produced Owned by Lord Rochford
  • 554,190 Pfenning Annum Income for Lord of Rochford.
  • 2,980~ Knights Marks Annum Income for Lord of Rochford
  • 149~ Knights Marks owed in tithe when not meeting military obligations (2 Knights Marks per thousand Acres of the Barony)
  • 7,993,125 pounds of bread equivalent theoretically produced in Rochford.
  • 3,197,250 pounds of bread equivalent produced by farmers after taxes.
  • 2,140,818 pounds of bread equivalent eaten by people of Rochford per year.

This does not account for land or labor needed to produce other goods required for living such as clothes or firewood, which is where a much greater strain on food stores and availability of nourishment comes. This is also an optimistic measure of an average year. Which can easily be changed by any number of weather or perturbations to the productivity of the land or viability of individual crops.

12.ii

12.ii

Acknowledgements and Research References:

A Collection of Unmitigated Pedantry

This blog was incredibly valuable for giving me a deeper insight into fleshing out less well documented aspects of medieval and classical era life. I knew some of what was already mentioned but honestly there was so much that was expanded on from my own knowledge this story would have been significantly worse without the insights of this blog.

The Medieval Farming Year
This is an amazing article on the labors of the year for peasants written by Andrew Staples. As an overview of the labors of the year it is unparalleled even now. Large sections of the interludes were directly based on it.

Behind the Name
This is an incredible resource for names. Enough said.

Feudal Terminology

I knew a lot of these from other sources but I was using this to help triple check some of my terminology.

List Price of Medieval Items & Medieval Prices and Wages & Table of Medieval English Wages and Prices

It turns out that it is actually really hard to get a solid read on the valuation of currencies in the past. Most of my sources ended up being English due to my linguistic inflexibility and distrust of machine translation for scholarly research but without resources like this I am almost certain the money in Shining Wyrm would have been less rigorously thought out.

Pliny The Elder's The Natural History

I originally thought I'd just be cribbing some ignorance/flavor in word use from Pliny, but the man was hilariously applicable to Shining Wyrm and I really must recommend anyone who is doing world building in a vaguely fantasy setting to dig in and take a look at how modern his observations are and how they slide smoothly and with no friction at all into completely insane propositions.

Really it is wild and humbling to read this stuff.

SIMetric.co.uk

This is one of the most useful sites for writing with any rigor in science fiction or fantasy I have ever found. Seriously, being able to answer how heavy something is quickly or finding approximate equivalents of bulk goods in easy tables is invaluable.

Koleda Winter Solstice Festival

For giving me some of the foundational inspiration for the winter solstice celebration traditions of Rochford and making me aware that Santa Clause might in fact be a dragon.

Tips on Writing Military Science Fiction
While not holding a foundation in medieval era tactics, doctrine or the rest this is an invaluable site full of very good resources for grappling with the realities of actual war, logistics, tactics and more written by someone who is a passionate nerd about military organization.

It's what really got me out of the mindset of First Person Shooters and the like when considering military matters way back in college.

French Poems and Prayers from Miron-Wilson Funeral Home
I did in fact use machine translation to convert one of their poems to english and then performed minor edits to fit the context. I am at best an amateur poet and word smith and there are those whose words are far more powerful then mine.

Visionaries: Knights of the Magical Light
Stars and fortune damn me I love the rhyming spell songs from this show so much and I think more fantasy settings should bring this shit back. I absolutely stole two of them for a section in shining wyrm and just altered the word choice til it fit the situation.

The Hobbit and The Return Of the King Animated Films

Some of my ideas of what a dragon should be are still defined by Smaug as depicted in this version of the hobbit. And I just love how goofy the orcs were with their songs in Return of the King.

Elizabeth Bathory & György Thurzó
Seriously, the truth/myth is stranger than my own fiction here and the situation with these two and the situation around them is wilder than I can do justice even in a story that effectively hinges around an alternate history fantasy of their entire deal. I waffled back and forth on how I was gonna handle them both and settled on what you got in the story but there is plenty of room for the facts to go any other way given the ambiguity of the situation.

I aimed for upping that ambiguity and playing with and against that legend until the very end for Shining Wyrm but really you could tell a lot of your own stories here and not even stray from the historical record.

Google Maps
This is an amazingly good tool for writers, street view can give you a lot in general but also just the ability to get an idea of how long it takes to walk places for long distances through europe can be a great grounding tool.

Fire Wood Tree Calculator
I actually checked these facts with a few different sites and their own math to get some of my details more grounded on how much burnables certain things take. Foresters take their productivity very seriously friends and they have tons of great tools for it!

Last edited:
So, is that the end of the story? Because if so, it was quite a ride, and I very much enjoyed it! Though I certainly wouldn't mind seeing further stories about Jewel either.

So, is that the end of the story? Because if so, it was quite a ride, and I very much enjoyed it! Though I certainly wouldn't mind seeing further stories about Jewel either.
I'm already working on a sequel. But the intended subject and timeframe wiggled free and ended up being a different book then the one I was trying to write. So likely at least two more of similar size are on the way.

If not even more then that. I started this wanting to take a trip with Jewel over a very long span of time.

But felt that grounding it all with a first book covering mostly a single year ( eventually turned into two by the time I finished) was necessary.

So this story and where it began and end. A slice of life for jewel during a particularly interesting few years at the start of her life.

Last edited:
Back