Set A Course For Suck, Mr. Sulu: Let's Read "Warp Speed" by Travis S. Taylor

Man, imagine writing a story in which Germany, a substantial chunk of the US, Beijing, a swathe of Russia, and half a billion people are wiped off the map overnight, three hypercanes hit the US simultaneously, and actually trying to tell the readers that things are just fine, the stock market is up, and that the president of the US has time to spare for someone's wedding.

Predictably, Anson turns his attention to devising a new system of generating electricity that will "put the Middle East out of business in no time" and "then they won't have to put up with the bastards."
Well, with cheap antigravity/orbital launch technologies, which they've got, powersats are now economical. Well, they technically were before in the long run, but now the startup costs are lower. So I guess we've got to give Taylor that at least.

Of course, publicizing the existence of said technologies by using them on a large scale risks revealing the unnatural origins of all the recent asteroid strikes...

Chapter 22
All right, people...it's been a long road, getting from there to here, but we're finally at the final chapter!

It was going to take a while to figure out the tricks of interstellar navigation. We decided to start small and take baby steps out of the solar system. We warped to Mars in about two and a half minutes. We had christened our little warpship the U.S.S. Einstein. Tabitha and Margie were at the controls. Jim and I were in charge of celestial navigation. Rebecca and Sara were watching the power plant and warp core. Al and Anne Marie were in charge of general mission logistics. We entered into an orbit around Mars and started looking for interesting things. We landed in Cydonia. There were no pyramids to be found anywhere. We found no face either. I was always hoping there would be something.

So this is the famous "face on Mars" located in the Cydonia region:

The black dots are errors in the original transmission, and one of them happens to appear right where the "face's" nostrils would be. Of course, the whole thing is a trick of light and shadow, as shown by later imagery from the Mars Global Surveyor taken in 2001:

You'd expect that our "hero," being such an "epic science bacon 420" type of person, would know all about this and the phenomenon of pareidolia.

He also describes "traversing several canals," and at this point I'm thinking the author is trolling us.

At any rate, we suited up, cycled through the airlock with a lights-off lights-on maneuver, and descended the loading ramp of the Einstein. Once we had set foot on the Martian surface, Tabitha and Margie set up an American flag. The view from Olympus Mons was incredible. Sara scratched into a rock with a screwdriver "Sara Tibbs was here." Then she passed it around and we each took turns. Jim signed it last and dated it.

Now, obviously I've never been to Mars, but I'm not sure the "view from Olympus Mons" would be any more spectacular than a view from anywhere else on Mars. You see, OIympus Mons might have an extremely high elevation, but it's so spread out so much that the actual mountain slope is so gradual that you'd probably not even notice if you were climbing it:

This is what you'd see standing at the rim of the caldera:

And here's what you'd see from a kilometre above the surface:

As you can see, it doesn't really look like you're standing on a mountain at all.

Our heroes fly back to the moon, do an inspection of their warpship, and discover that going FTL had no adverse impacts on it, so they decide to go jaunting around the solar system and the Kuiper Belt. They spend some time looking at Jupiter (but not too long, because Tabitha and 'Becca are both pregnant and all that radiation wouldn't be good for them. They explore the subsurface ocean on Europa and discover the existence of alien life, which treated with all the gravitas of catching a particularly large trout while on a fishing trip:

A larger piece of the floating material seemed to alter its path and then it darted toward a smaller chunk. The smaller chunk took off like a bat out of hell. We focused the cameras in on the region a little tighter and realized that the debris floating in the water were actually schools of some type of fish.

"I want one of those!" Al said.

"Not sure how we could catch it, Al," Margie responded. "We can come back and get one some other time."

We sat still for a while and watched the fish swim and eat each other. These weren't ordinary fish. Upon closer inspection, we could see that they had no eyes. I also wasn't sure if I saw any gills or not. We would have to catch some of these things and have the right folks study them. Some other time. We'd watched the fish for about twenty minutes when Tabitha decided we should continue with our mission. Again, we were on a technology demonstration mission, not a science exhibition.

He then flies off to Titan, and is disappointed there aren't any aliens there like in the Heinlein novel The Puppet Masters. Then they head to Pluto, but it turns out to be rather boring. After a short jaunt out towards the heliopause, they head back to the moon and begin working on their warp-powered gravitational
lens. Which leads into a lengthy infodump about how telescopes work, and then we get a glimpse at what's going at Alpha Centauri:

No, not that Alpha Centauri.

We zoomed in on the inner three planets one at a time. The first planet was a barren rock much like Mercury. The second planet closest to Banard's Star was blue and green and looked like a Mars-sized Earth. We spent hours zooming in on the planet. There were oceans, mountains, trees, and even grass. We saw no artificial structures of any sort. There was life there, but most likely not intelligent life.

The third planet was mostly like Venus.

We bounced back to Moon Base 1 and began discussing who was going to visit Barnard's Star. We decided that we were all going. We were too valuable to America to risk getting lost in space, but we didn't care. Was that selfish? We knew we could get back.

Again, this monumental discovery is treated with all the seriousness of finding a somewhat-uncommon issue of Superman at your local comic book store.

They decide to mount an investigation of Barnard's Star, but the journey will take at least three months, and Tabitha and 'Becca are already two months pregnant. Their current warpship is far too cramped for such a journey, so they'll need to build a better ship. There's a lot of blathering on about its design, including how they designed in such a way that one could lower the gravity in the bedroom to make sleeping easier for the pregnant ladies. Tabitha eventually gives birth to a daughter, whom they name "Ariel Eridani Clemons." No, really. Meanwhile, 'Becca gives birth to twins named "Mindy Sue" (not Mary Sue?) and "Michael Ash Daniels."

Meanwhile, they continue to monitor the situation on earth, keeping their eyes on "television broadcasts and the internet." They determine that "nothing dangerous is going on." I must admit, somehow keeping an eye on the entire goddamn internet is no mean feat! While working on their new starship, they use their warp-powered gravitational lens to observe more extrasolar planets:

We continued looking and found planets around nearly every star we tried. Ross 154, 248, and 128. 61 Cygni and Luyten 789-6. Epsilon Eridani had a world that looked just like Earth but with two moons. I couldn't wait to get out there and look at these places. I was hoping that we would've found a civilization by this time though. We had looked at about twenty planets closely. I decided that we should take a couple of days per star system. Wouldn't want to miss anything. Out of all the planets we studied thus far, no intelligent life. The odds were at least worse than one in twenty for intelligent life. Although, it had been about one in three for plant life. The universe is a damn big place. We just had to keep looking.

How much do you want to bet that the moment they uncover intelligent alien life they'll immediate turn out to be a bunch of genocidal maniacs that our "heroes" must exterminate for the good of humanity?

Eventually the starship is completed and christened the Einstein. Anson drops off his kids with his parents, because it doesn't make sense to take them along on a potentially dangerous mission:

Why didn't we take them? I just couldn't see taking toddlers into such a dangerous situation. What if something went wrong? Our kids should still get to grow up and have full lives. Besides, we didn't need toddlers bumping into spacecraft controls and warping us into a black hole or something. That sounds like stuff out of a bad science fiction novel.

Well, Anson, considering you are in a bad science fiction novel, then they ought to feel right on home!

They reach Barnard's Star and enter low earth orbit around one of the planets. Except it can't really be called "low earth orbit," so they decide to call it "Low Anson Orbit."

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Tabitha took the controls and led us around the planet multiple times. We spotted a location that looked like a lush tropical area and decided to give it a try. She brought us down in a field of something that looked like sea oats that grow along the beaches in the Gulf of Mexico. A few hundred meters to our south was a beautiful white sandy beach and an ocean frothing against it. The red sunlight gave the planet a dim appearance. There was plenty of light but nothing seemed very bright. Not like on Earth the way you have to squint your eyes or wear sunglasses at the beach.

We spent a few minutes checking the air for anything that would be harmful to us. We could see no microbes or deadly gasses. It was a mixture of oxygen, nitrogen, argon, and other gasses. The oxygen was a little richer than on Earth, but that was no problem. We sat still in the ship and waited a while and watched for signs of indigenous lifeforms that could be harmful: snakes, bees, bugs, crocodiles, and three headed humanoid-eating E.T.s. Nothing other than an occasional alien sea oat reared its head.

Of course, when dealing with alien life one can't really make any assumptions. For all they know, those "alien sea oats" might be intelligent creatures. There were several episodes of Star Trek that dealt with this exact theme.

"We will find intelligent aliens out there and we will get to tell the Earth, some day. But in the meantime, I miss my little girl and I'm sure she misses her mommy and daddy. What do you say we go home?" Tabitha held my hand and pulled me to her.

"Sounds great to me." I kissed her. "You know this is what I always dreamed of. I've always fantasized about inventing the warp drive and flying off to new and alien worlds with my beautiful wife and having wonderful adventures and saving the world. It's a childhood dream come true; I guess I can't think of anything that could make me happier."

She held me a little while longer and looked into my eyes. "I'm pregnant again," she said.

"Well, except for that." I laughed.

We went home.

And with that we come to the end of Warp Speed. The final chapter is an appendix that discusses the theory behind the Alcubierre Drive and the Casimir Effect, which ought to convince anyone reading this novel that merely possessing advanced scientific knowledge is absolutely no guarantee of possessing joined-up thinking.

That's really the summation I can think of for this novel. It's easily one of the worst science fiction novels I've read in a while, with only The Watch on the Rhine and Caliphate being more morally repugnant in comparison. The basic idea of the story is fine, but it's buried beneath layers of bad writing, a total lack of editorial oversight, and the author's own deranged worldview. The protagonist is an unlikable self-insert and the supporting characters don't even reach the level of being two-dimensional. Events that should have an enormous impact on characters and the world they inhabit are treated as being completely mundane. Really, I think this book proves that Baen will publish just about anything so long as it passes the spell checker.\

Warp Speed has a sequel titled The Quantum Connection, which I have not read and really have no particular desire to read. Apparently, it's yet another self-indulgent tale about some nerdy bloke who uses alien technology to turn himself into a super-intelligent badass and then proceeds to defeat an alien race that has somehow conquered half the galaxy. Here are some quotes I dug up:

Next year we plan to spread the technology of longevity to the species. We have already improved medical technology eons ahead of anything the quacks would have ever come up with.

Tatiana says I've been hanging around Anson and Jim too much and have adopted their distaste for medical quacks, but Anson and Jim are right and I like them—I can't recall a quack that I ever did. After all, the headshrinkers would've never found that Gray implant in my brain, but they would've sold me all the drugs I could afford until my insurance ran out.

Again, the author's grudge against the medical profession is both bizarre and laughable.

So as for my next Let's Read, I'll just say three things:

- It's a YA fantasy novel
- The author's novels have the most cliched YA fantasy titles imaginable
- It was recommended by a coworker...who said I'd probably hate it.

You'd expect that our "hero," being such an "epic science bacon 420" type of person, would know all about this and the phenomenon of pareidolia.
And it would be so easy to change the line to something about a childhood dream, even when his mind knows that it's not possible.
The odds were at least worse than one in twenty for intelligent life.
With how many shoutouts have been done, I'm surprised he didn't go for something like 'the chances of anything coming from the stars are a million to one, he says.'

And goodbye and good riddance to this.

Man, my abortive attempt at Post-apocalyptic Mars was more accurate than that, and it literally had magic and extradimensional aliens.

I love how the main character shows vastly more enthusiasm and care for apocalyptic weaponization of warp technology than about discovering alien life.

Back